Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/1/2017 at 4:51 PM, Christine said:

CH is pronounced as our K.

C is pronounced as our CH.

There's no K, J, or W in the Italian alphabet.

We have a relative named Cecilia, so in Italian, that's Cheh.CHEE' lee.ah.  Rome accent, however, might be Sheh.SHEE'lee.ah.  Her brother calls her Shee-Shee.  Between the different pronunciations in the various Italian regions, it can be so hard to learn the language. My husband and I learned basic Italian but even that doesn't work everywhere.

Bruschetta is the word that drives me crazy!

Edited by juliet73

Upstate New York to Australia - Dude......you quit your job, sold a beautiful home on acreage and moved wife and three teens (12, 14 and 16) across the planet WITH NO JOB? 

I loved the scene on the lame merry-go-round. That 16-year old daughter looked like she wanted to crawl under a rock. She didn't seem too enthused by that 5K run she finished. The whole family ran the race. None sweated. 

The wife certainly had good diction, didn't she? Enunciated everything so perfectly it was off-putting. Loved the husband's belted shorts with the long-sleeve dress shirt.

Awfully convenient that the husband found a job and his wife landed one, too, as a teacher. Supposedly they arrived in Australia two weeks before school started. Boy, was that a close call, her scoring a teaching position like that! There was so much emphasis on his occupational therapy work and I don't think they bothered to mention that she was a teacher. Guess it would've taken away from the edge-of-the-seat drama if we knew that one of them was probably easily employable...(.or, probably more realistically, that both already had jobs).

Wasn't at all feeling the house they chose, but they probably won't be long-term renters anyway. I did like how pleasant they were with their comments on the homes and their not insisting on a home with an ocean view. They both wanted to be near the city center. How often are HH couples on the same page about that? 

I don't get that "we spend more time together as a family now" crap. What was it about their rustic home in upstate New York that pulled them apart? Could it just be that they had friends and relatives there? Speaking of that, not a single mention of all the family and friends who were going to visit them, thus requiring more bedrooms.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Upstate New York to Australia - Dude......you quit your job, sold a beautiful home on acreage and moved wife and three teens (12, 14 and 16) across the planet WITH NO JOB? 

was this new? I didn't think you could get a visa without a job, he say he's on a long vacation?   I'm sure he had something lined up and wife almost did or something like that.

I have to catch this when my "on demand" cable puts it on. Maybe this is the one family that admits it wanted to get away from family and we know Australia is too far to visit ; )

I hope the kids adjust, they might have been attached to friends.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, debraran said:

was this new? I didn't think you could get a visa without a job, he say he's on a long vacation?   I'm sure he had something lined up and wife almost did or something like that

You can't which is why this back story was crazy nonsense. I was really shocked that they went with the Victorian even thinking about cooking on that stove with no close counter space is giving me heart palpations.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mojito said:

I loved the scene on the lame merry-go-round. That 16-year old daughter looked like she wanted to crawl under a rock. She didn't seem too enthused by that 5K run she finished. The whole family ran the race. None sweated. 

The wife certainly had good diction, didn't she? Enunciated everything so perfectly it was off-putting. Loved the husband's belted shorts with the long-sleeve dress shirt.

Awfully convenient that the husband found a job and his wife landed one, too, as a teacher. Supposedly they arrived in Australia two weeks before school started. Boy, was that a close call, her scoring a teaching position like that! There was so much emphasis on his occupational therapy work and I don't think they bothered to mention that she was a teacher. Guess it would've taken away from the edge-of-the-seat drama if we knew that one of them was probably easily employable...(.or, probably more realistically, that both already had jobs).

Wasn't at all feeling the house they chose, but they probably won't be long-term renters anyway. I did like how pleasant they were with their comments on the homes and their not insisting on a home with an ocean view. They both wanted to be near the city center. How often are HH couples on the same page about that? 

I don't get that "we spend more time together as a family now" crap. What was it about their rustic home in upstate New York that pulled them apart? Could it just be that they had friends and relatives there? Speaking of that, not a single mention of all the family and friends who were going to visit them, thus requiring more bedrooms.

I agree with this whole post.  Something was just not right with this whole story.  No one gets to pack up and move to Australia with no job, no work visa, nothing.   Bolding mine on your post:  Beautiful home on acreage around the corner from the mountains of upstate NY, (three big bathrooms!)......but you move so far away?  You can't wait till your kids are grown?  I wonder how that conversation went when they broke the news.  

Per the wife's diction:  My fiance said the same thing!  "What is with her diction?  Must she over pronounce everything?"  Then she lands a teaching job so soon?  The update was four months later, he said he had been at work for "about a month"  - that is a long time with three teens to be out of work.

• Love 2

I noticed the wife's diction too. Very crisp!  She almost sounded like an actress reciting lines.

Was she a teacher?  I thought she said she got a job in the school library, which made me wonder if she was an aide or something like that.

Like the wife, I loved that first house.

• Love 1

"cc" in Italian would be "ch" in English.  Think Gucci.

I agree with the poster on bruschetta - broos-ket'-ta.

Where we have difficulty is in pronouncing "gli" - almost sound like we're trying to cough up a furball.

If you've never eaten porchetta and you like pork, you're in for a treat.  We go to Da Nerbone in Florence for porchetta even though everyone else there seems to like the lampredotta - haven't been able to bring myself to eat tripe just yet and it's not on my bucket list.

That Minnesota to Ecuador couple was so irritating. I hated how every minute she was dismissing his concern about budget. The house they took was beautiful, but how they reached that decision was annoying. Supposedly, they wanted to be able to walk into town, which is why they eliminated the third house, but they didn't get that with the second house either (that long, steep driveway).

I call BS on the whole "budget" crap anyway. I wonder why the couple does, because money didn't really seem to be an issue. And hosting 10 people at a time? Flights from Minnesota to Ecuador aren't exactly $69 fares.  They must move in fairly well-off circles for that many of their friends to be able to visit at one time. Maybe they're time-share people and the house is an Airbnb.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

That Minnesota to Ecuador couple was so irritating. I hated how every minute she was dismissing his concern about budget. The house they took was beautiful, but how they reached that decision was annoying. Supposedly, they wanted to be able to walk into town, which is why they eliminated the third house, but they didn't get that with the second house either (that long, steep driveway).

I call BS on the whole "budget" crap anyway. I wonder why the couple does, because money didn't really seem to be an issue. And hosting 10 people at a time? Flights from Minnesota to Ecuador aren't exactly $69 fares.  They must move in fairly well-off circles for that many of their friends to be able to visit at one time. Maybe they're time-share people and the house is an Airbnb.

I am seeing a lot of airbnb's from these shows. Sometimes it's not easy to search, other times they want to say "seen on HGTV or THN or whatever.

I think they producers know but they don't care, it's a fantasy show for most, just looking at the video of country which is why I like the outdoor shots.

My hubby doesn't filter as well as I do so he can't really watch. The budget thing is big with him, don't make it up, because if 50.000 over is okay after you said no, if 1800 is okay a month instead of 1200,  then that's why so many people are in deep debt. One couple in retirement said they only had this amount and went over 20,000 or more...did they take another mortgage or lie. Doesn't really matter, but I'd rather they didn't lie and have people think it really doesn't matter, somehow your payments will all be the same.  : )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

Maybe this is the one family that admits it wanted to get away from family and we know Australia is too far to visit ; )

I hope the kids adjust, they might have been attached to friends.

Deb, I saw this on SlingTV On Demand so I have no idea how new this episode was. I waited for someone else to comment on this episode for that reason.

We know nothing about these people so you make a good point.  Could be that their crazy, manipulative, demanding family drove them out of the US!

• Love 2
On 8/1/2017 at 6:43 PM, Thumper said:

I thought the mom corrected the daughter's pronunciation (porCHetta) to "porketta."  I caught it because I thought "oh, I didn't know that!"  ??

You are correct!  I went back and watched the last five minutes.  I was wrong.  I think my brain is just so used to the mispronunciation that my ears deceived me.

• Love 1

The South Africa couple were sweet and I LOVE her accent but she's on a popular TV show and can only afford $800 a month?

This makes me think of factors that are never mentioned on this show (and don't need to be). In addition to having lived in an expensive city like San Diego, where she did not work, we're not privy to other things going on in their lives like an ex-spouse and children, which could mean alimony and/or child support payments and college tuition savings, not to mention  student loan payments, merely breaking even on a home sale, consumer debt, etc. They may have no savings. In South Africa, the husband won't be working. He said he gave up a promotion at work, but that doesn't tell us much about what his job was. All we know is that he likes to brew beer. 

From an August 2016 article, I learned that top South African senior soap actors can earn at least 44,000R per month. One Rand is the less than $0.80 USD. 44,000R is around $3520 USD.

Eight hundred dollars per month  doesn't sound like much, but it could easily be 1/3 of the woman's income.

Ya just never know.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, mojito said:

This makes me think of factors that are never mentioned on this show (and don't need to be). In addition to having lived in an expensive city like San Diego, where she did not work, we're not privy to other things going on in their lives like an ex-spouse and children, which could mean alimony and/or child support payments and college tuition savings, not to mention  student loan payments, merely breaking even on a home sale, consumer debt, etc. They may have no savings. In South Africa, the husband won't be working. He said he gave up a promotion at work, but that doesn't tell us much about what his job was. All we know is that he likes to brew beer. 

From an August 2016 article, I learned that top South African senior soap actors can earn at least 44,000R per month. One Rand is the less than $0.80 USD. 44,000R is around $3520 USD.

Eight hundred dollars per month  doesn't sound like much, but it could easily be 1/3 of the woman's income.

Ya just never know.

In the States, the wife was an actress and doula (https://doulaquinne.com/quinnebrown-com/).

The third house was really the better one for them.  It's a shame the budget seemed to be a real concern this time.

I've been doing a little reading on the wife. Now I kind of want to see  "7de Laan," the soap opera she's in.

Oh COME ON, HGTV!  The Midlands are, ya know, towards the middle of England, not way down south of Bath where your intern marked it on the map.    

"This feels like a suburb of Dallas."  Such BS.   A shame they listened to the producers' advice:  "Disagree about everything, complain a lot.  Wife, frequently express how things like windows, stairs, and paint color will kill your children.  Husband, say how that adds charm and the Euro experience you are seeking."  Husband seems to be a graduate of the Reynolds Wolf School of TV Fakeness.

Edited by pep4
  • Love 5

"This feels like a suburb of Dallas."  Such BS.   

I thought it was a stupid comment, too. I didn't care for his demands for country living, even though most of the time he wouldn't be living at home with the kids. And she wanted a stone surface in the kitchen. Good grief, you're renting! Why were the windows of the home he loved not good with the kids? I was waiting for an explanation but didn't get one. Afraid they'd run through it? Fingerprints?

I was surprised at the decent five-bedroom homes they could get for $2000 or less. Not the usual dark brick cave-like dreariness (which I think he wanted).

• Love 4
23 hours ago, mojito said:

Why were the windows of the home he loved not good with the kids?

Did they have screens?  If not, those are deathtraps, you know.  Just ask that Michigan to Paris HH.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Did they have screens?  If not, those are deathtraps, you know.  Just ask that Michigan to Paris HH.

They were on the first floor and basically started at the floor. 

If the husband from the Texas to Mexico show didn't want to leave Texas, then why did he agree to sell their ranch and move?  Couldn't stand the wife and her voice.  How does this couple stay married?  Personally, I didn't like any of the houses.  

• Love 3

Is this Taru person some kind of model, Instagram star or blogger (See my life at sea!)?  There was lots of her laying around and posing in a bikini.  I knew she'd end up staying at her guest house.  The idea that she wanted to have an extra bedroom so she could host health and wellness clients was silly to me.  She's young, single and beautiful.  I doubt she's going to want random strangers sleeping only a few feet from her in an isolated house. 

Silliness aside, I love that they went somewhere I don't think they've been before.  Or at least don't travel to often.  Even though the houses/apartments were small and humble, they had character.  Some of those shots of the water were just gorgeous.

• Love 5
On 2017-08-06 at 2:04 PM, MsProudSooner said:

Re:  Michigan to Australia:  Didn't the house they picked have no heat in the bedrooms?  How cold will it be in that area of Australia in the winter?

I don't know where in Australia this episode was, as we get episodes in Canada much later than you do in the States. But, I lived in South Australia, and houses there are built to let heat out, not keep heat in. Winters would get to about 16C (61F), and it was common to go outside and it be warmer outside than in. I had a heater in my living room, but tried not to use it, as electricity was quite costly. We just put on layers and grabbed a doona (a quilt).

• Love 3

Is this Taru person some kind of model, Instagram star or blogger (See my life at sea!)?  There was lots of her laying around and posing in a bikini.  I knew she'd end up staying at her guest house.  The idea that she wanted to have an extra bedroom so she could host health and wellness clients was silly to me.  She's young, single and beautiful.  I doubt she's going to want random strangers sleeping only a few feet from her in an isolated house. 

In one of the shots, it looks as though this woman is not exactly alone. They were trying to hide that but it looks like someone messed up. Just another example of a creative background story.

hhi.jpg

• Love 4

@hula-la, they were in Geelong.  There were fireplaces in all the bedrooms, but they were not allowed to use them.

The woman in that Texas-to-Yucatan episode had to be one of the most unpleasant people I have ever seen on this show.  Very shrill and dismissive of her husband's wishes throughout.  The realtor didn't even seem to like her.

She did seem to cave kind of quickly in the end, so I am wondering how much of it was an act.

• Love 2

I saw an episode with a cute couple from Poland moving to Australia, to start a new life.  Very adventurous of them, and I hope they are doing well.  The rented a small apartment with only one bedroom and they have a baby.    The wife wanted to be near the ocean.  I hope they are able to get a two-bedroom place as that baby gets bigger!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Silliness aside, I love that they went somewhere I don't think they've been before.  Or at least don't travel to often.

IIRC, several years ago they went to Greece but I don't know where.  There was an EXTREMELY wealthy middle-aged man and his younger, beautiful wife and they wanted the works!  And they got it!  I didn't think I would like the man, but I liked him a lot.  He let his wife have anything and everything she wanted at at the end it showed them sitting by the pool with their many pets and he was very kind and gentle with them.  He just didn't look the type and I know, a book by it's cover, etc.  I enjoyed it a lot.

Gatesville, TX to Mexico.

He spoke of being a Texan and being happy to stay. He spoke of friends that he'd like to come visit. She didn't seem to have anything but strong opinions. No friends? No roots anywhere? Curious couple. 

• Love 4

Holy shit! Ten minutes into the Texas-to-Mexico episode and I hated the wife. 

I loved that the realtor cut her off when they went to the second house.

At first, I thought she was Mexican and wanted to move back home, but by the end of the episode, I was sure she was a gold digger/con artist who married a lonely but well-off rancher and proceeds to isolate him from his friends and family by convincing him to sell his ranch and move to another country.  (If I recall, they met online and had been married only a few years.)

Why was she so insistent on a small house with no guest rooms? Usually these ex-pats are full of "We need 27 bedrooms for all the friends and family who will visit." By limiting his exposure to his old life, she makes sure his money stays with her. I think that's why she caved so quickly -- if she kept pushing for the small house, he might have said the hell with it and stayed in Texas.

What was the point of the Greek episode? I mean, I loved the scenery and the views, and the different houses, but the whole thing was just a waste of time. Was it all about promoting herself?

Wow. Texas-to-Midlands husband was a grade A dick. So unpleasant.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Holy shit! Ten minutes into the Texas-to-Mexico episode and I hated the wife. 

I loved that the realtor cut her off when they went to the second house.

At first, I thought she was Mexican and wanted to move back home, but by the end of the episode, I was sure she was a gold digger/con artist who married a lonely but well-off rancher and proceeds to isolate him from his friends and family by convincing him to sell his ranch and move to another country.  (If I recall, they met online and had been married only a few years.)

Why was she so insistent on a small house with no guest rooms? Usually these ex-pats are full of "We need 27 bedrooms for all the friends and family who will visit." By limiting his exposure to his old life, she makes sure his money stays with her. I think that's why she caved so quickly -- if she kept pushing for the small house, he might have said the hell with it and stayed in Texas.

Edited by debraran
wrong post
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

What was the point of the Greek episode? I mean, I loved the scenery and the views, and the different houses, but the whole thing was just a waste of time. Was it all about promoting herself?

I didn't understand the Greek episode either.  The first 5 minutes of the episode I thought something felt "fishy."  Then in the photo shown above it looks like she's pregnant.  Was she promoting a blog or something?

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

The more money they save on a home, the more she inherits when he dies under mysterious circumstances.  Then we'll watch her cry crocodile tears and proclaim her innocence on Dateline.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Maybe.  As I said above, it kind of felt like that.  Then again, is it really that much different than what they normally do?  Normally, they'd just stick her in a hotel and say she's looking for a place to stay.  Then they'd show three houses, including the guest house, and have her choose the guest house at the end.  Instead, we got an extra house.

• Love 2

Holy crap was that Greece episode infuriating. As soon as they showed her at her current "Guest House", I angrily figured she'd - BIG SURPRISE - end up staying there. And I hate to be the jelly bitch, but was she for real? She's lucky enough to be tall, slim (other than the suspicious bump), beautiful without makeup, apparently affluent enough to screw around on a sailboat for five years with some unseen partner taking casually photogenic bikini-palm shots.... AND she wants a multi-bedroom apartment with an ocean view in the best part of the island for $700 a month? Go fudge yourself. (Though I'm sure there would be plenty of men - and women - who would happily do that job for her.)

Wasn't the guy (who I thought was a waiter) serving her what looked like a Greek crostini on rye the same dude in the closing scene, hanging out at her guest house? Sketch as hell. Oh, and when the friend Nina asked if she could help with anything, Taru says "yes, you can put the bread on the table." Um, the same loaf of bread you - naturally?! - put on the window sill above the sink? Why the fuck would anyone do that instead of putting it on the table in the first fucking place?? Man, this show hit the trifecta of sketchy-as-hell backstory, fake scenes, and no real choice made. I'd rather just watch a tour of homes available on that island.

• Love 15

There have been several episodes in which I've thought that the people searching for houses were aspiring singers or actors whose agents got them the gig on this show just for exposure.  The same for game shows.

• Love 8

Wasn't the guy (who I thought was a waiter) serving her what looked like a Greek crostini on rye the same dude in the closing scene, hanging out at her guest house? 

I rarely pick up on these things, but I thought the camera lingered on his smiling face when she was ordering food, and it made me raise an eyebrow.

As for Texas to Mexico couple....I thought she was perhaps Mexican, too, until she said, "No bueno" and then proceeded to not make another attempt at Spanish later on. I suspect she's a fugitive of some kind.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, mojito said:

I rarely pick up on these things, but I thought the camera lingered on his smiling face when she was ordering food, and it made me raise an eyebrow.

As for Texas to Mexico couple....I thought she was perhaps Mexican, too, until she said, "No bueno" and then proceeded to not make another attempt at Spanish later on. I suspect she's a fugitive of some kind.

She seems Tejano, to me. There are so many generational Tejanos who intermarried, but lost the language after the Border passed them. 

Silicon Valley to Hawke's Bay, New Zealand

Nice enough couple wanting to get out of the rat race. The house they ended up getting was what I thought was the best choice. I chuckled when she didn't want to be 30 minutes away from town even though there is pretty much no traffic to deal with. I didn't understand why she spoke of going into town every day when she had no job. In the end, she said she would try selling real estate, but still, what's 30 minutes in a rural area? (I've done that before and the 24 miles to work felt like nothing. It was actually relaxing at the end of the day.) She also didn't like the white and grays of the newly-renovated house that they eventually bought. What, she needs to have color already there for there to be color? I would've appreciated the neutral palette. Yeah, I'm sure she had to say something negative. He, meanwhile, he stated he was not going to get involved in renovations, but really liked the shed (of the house they bought) because he could do "construction projects" there. Sometimes these people are confusing!  : )

Kudos to them for taking the plunge and changing their lives. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I only watched about 10 minutes of the NZ episode (not really interested in the Australian and NZ ones) but did either of them miraculously find jobs at the end?

Nope.

• Love 1

Saw an episode which aired a month ago, a couple who bought a vacation home in Puerto Escondido with plans to retire there in a few years.

Funny couple, they both knew how to riff off each other's one-liners.

They ended up paying way over budget because she didn't want to be isolated from the community so they paid a premium to be in the middle of the town as opposed to being 20-30 minutes or more by car away.

Saw an episode which aired a month ago, a couple who bought a vacation home in Puerto Escondido with plans to retire there in a few years.

Funny couple, they both knew how to riff off each other's one-liners.

They ended up paying way over budget because she didn't want to be isolated from the community so they paid a premium to be in the middle of the town as opposed to being 20-30 minutes or more by car away.

Silicon Valley to Hawke's Bay, New Zealand

Nice enough couple wanting to get out of the rat race.

I thought she was a pain in the butt.  If your husband really really doesn't want to do renovations, accept that and look for move-in-ready. And, he should put his foot down.

• Love 3

I just watched the LA to New Zealand episode and got curious about how difficult it would be to just up and move to NZ w/o a job.  There are a few websites and blogs that explore that.  There are many pros and cons involved.  Housing is in short supply, as are jobs even for New Zealanders.  The writers all agreed that the lifestyle is definitely more laid back.  This couple must have made a lot of $$ from the sale of their house in California and had been following a serious saving plan to move halfway around the world and spend $500,000 on a house.  Maybe they will appear on a HHI Where Are They Now episode in the future.

Do they have "Where are they now" shows? I notice much less, especially with tiny homes. Most are abandoned it seems by listings or turned into airbnbs which at least brings in some  money. One HHI where they dad went to a historic boat with his daughter, it was an airbnb within the year although he stayed there sometimes.  I don't think HHI wants the mystique of it to be over.https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13321470

It would be interesting how someone adjusted to a new country and school etc. and if they had tips on what to do and not to do. Youtube has videos from many travelers who have "10 mistakes I did moving to Scotland (or fill in the blank) and "10 things I did right" which can be helpful to others.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, debraran said:

Do they have "Where are they now" shows? I notice much less, especially with tiny homes. Most are abandoned it seems by listings or turned into airbnbs which at least brings in some  money.

They usually do one a week per year for HH and HHI. I must have missed when they did a tiny homes week.