Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Portugal episode was disappointing.  Porto doesn't have any older buildings?  All three apartment complexes were architecturally boring, almost industrial -- like something you'd see in Russia in the 50's. 

• Love 1

I liked the couple moving to Ecuador.  The prices were amazing -- $650, all utilities included?  Wow.  Sign me up.

The country place was spectacular, but if their focus was going to be on meeting people and throwing parties, it wouldn't have been the right choice.  But the husband loved it so -- I would have felt mean to insist on being in town, on a noisy busy street, in a house with bars on all the windows.  The dogs had outdoor space but it was all concrete -- that's not good. 

15 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I liked the couple moving to Ecuador.  The prices were amazing -- $650, all utilities included?  Wow.  Sign me up.

The country place was spectacular, but if their focus was going to be on meeting people and throwing parties, it wouldn't have been the right choice.  But the husband loved it so -- I would have felt mean to insist on being in town, on a noisy busy street, in a house with bars on all the windows.  The dogs had outdoor space but it was all concrete -- that's not good. 

The front area was concrete but there was a lovely yard in the back. 

The country house looked like it was set up as a hostel.

• Love 2

I'm just getting around to watching the Angouleme episode and on my, my, my she certainly is a special snowflake isn't she?  Personally, I would be happy soaking up the French charm by walking the streets and eating at local restaurants as long as I have a nice place to come back to at the end of the day.  Her comment at the end that the lights hanging by bare wires didn't bother her because they just don't look at them.  OK, that works until the fire department has to be called.  I had to laugh when she insisted on something in the center of the town, but then was disappointed that she couldn't throw open the windows and have a view of the French countryside.  This woman has been reading too many romance novels.  Her boyfriend was much more grounded and I didn't see the two of them as a couple at all.  I wonder if this experience will make or break that relationship? 

• Love 1

I was not feeling the couple moving to Ecuador.  They state that they wanted to give their daughters a new experience living in another country and the girls end up taking on-line classes.   Looks like no one will get any exercise including the dogs. Just throw them in the backyard. The friends coming over were all Americans but that could have been a producer set up.  

• Love 3

The wife from the Manchester episode was very easy to dislike.  She obviously didn't want to move to England as she hated everything.   First she complains about the noise, but she seems to forget that living in Chicago isn't a quiet place.  Then she insists thinking about the dog and then complains that she'll be stuck with the dog all by herself.  She sounded so stupid when she said she didn't want to end this part of her life in this way---what the hell did that mean?  Her freaking life isn't ending.  She didn't seem to worry about the poor husband having to spend 2+ hours a day driving to and from work.  Her comment about the horrible weather was also stupid because Chicago isn't exactly known to have great weather.  And I bet she'll eventually bitch and moan that she's so far away from everything and that there's no place for her to go.  He needs to dump this complaining biddy asap.  

And don't get me started about the cat on the cooking surface in the kitchen.  Just what I like, cat hair where you cook.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 13

I could not agree more, KL --   The wife who smirks "I always win" is bad news going in, and you keep watching only to see if this time she might just give a thought to the Unnecessarily Nice husband.  But sadly, No.   I waited for him to say, "You're all alone all day in a new place, and so you want me to leave an hour earlier and get home an hour later than I really have to?"  Her excessive concern for the dog and lack of it for him was troubling.  

Interesting to note that at the end they weren't slicing tomatoes to entertain their New Friends.  No New Friends at all.   Hmm.    

Honestly I'm nicer than this, but I crassly do wonder how long Unnecessarily Nice Husband is going to put up with her "I Win" point of view; or how long til she takes the dog and goes back to Chicago.   Arg.

• Love 11

I tried to watch the "Greater Manchester" episode last night and couldn't make it.  Watched through the first house and then the last 2 minutes.  Ugh.  She was awful, complaining about everything large and small.  The show's formula must work because people keep watching, but I swear HHI manages to suck the life out of any interesting situation.  

• Love 3

First she complains about the noise, but she seems to forget that living in Chicago isn't a quiet place.  

I tuned in maybe a minute late but early enough to catch they were coming from Chicago.  With her, "I don't think I can live with this" hysterics over mild traffic on the street, I assumed I must have missed something and she did not live in Chicago.  But oh no, this was just one thing on a long list of problems for Miss Complainy Pants.

She didn't seem to worry about the poor husband having to spend 2+ hours a day driving to and from work.  Her comment about the horrible weather was also stupid because Chicago isn't exactly known to have great weather. 

Oh you can bet she'll be complaining that he isn't home enough and she's home all alone (insert pouty face and dramatic eye roll).  Did the dog walk itself in Chicago?  Did she have a palatial backyard smack dab in the city?  I also was surprised to learn that "staying home caring for the dog all day" is such a difficult and daunting task.  Wow.  How does she find a moment to herself?  

This was another study for the "why are they together" House Hunters Couple's edition.  His optimism at the end when they were sitting on the couch (he was encouraging others to move abroad) compared to her eye rolling, put upon sighs and groans, was pretty sad.

I am puzzled too by these youngsters who are hell bent on every home needing to be open concept.  Seriously....enough so that I sat there and tried to think of how many people I know who truly live in an open concept house.  I had one set of friends who did, in a condo, but they've since moved on to a traditional home with, you know, walls.  I know this couple was coming from Chicago where that condo style is quite prevalent.  But didn't they grow up going to neighbors homes, to Grandma's?  It's like it's the ONLY style they've ever seen is open concept and they are shocked and disgusted when presented with a style that is anything but.  As in, a home that may have been built 60 or 100 years ago, that has some style and warmth to it.  Where is the appreciation for that?  Even if it's not their preferred style, do they have to always seem so offended by it?  

I'd do anything to tour old homes in Manchester.  And maybe even cozy up next to a fireplace in a room with a door, where I couldn't see the kitchen and dining room.  Imagine that.     

• Love 10

Holy smokes, was that woman irritating.

I rarely watch HHI because it seems that everyone - especially the women - want a perfectly McMansionized home whether they are in England, France, Germany or wherever. They seem soooo insular and unwilling to embrace their good fortune in being able to live in a different place and experience different cultures.

She is going to wind up torturing her Unnecessarily Nice Husband with complaints about how she is so lonely, has no car, has to take her dog out "to go to the bathroom" 20 times a day, there is no one around to talk to and all she can do is stare at her kitchen.

Thanks to the realtor for saying "open plan" instead of the teeth-grinding "open concept".  I like a "non-open" plan with DOORS!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Tracer34 said:

She is going to wind up torturing her Unnecessarily Nice Husband with complaints about how she is so lonely, has no car, has to take her dog out "to go to the bathroom" 20 times a day, there is no one around to talk to and all she can do is stare at her kitchen.

Gosh yes what is she going to do all day?  She was so intent on "winning", she shot herself in the damn foot.  She must have been really upset that he took that job without getting her permission first.  Poor guy -- he'll pay for that.  I wonder how long they'll stay in that place.  I can see them moving to town, soon. 

• Love 5

Totally agree with what everyone is saying about the Chicago woman in Manchester. I posted about it in the wrong thread last night. She made me so crazy, I could not think straight.

Her husband could do so much better. He has been with her since high school! Omg. I was actually shouting at the tv, when he went with her choice in the country. She was the most miserable person. He needs to pack her and the animals up and send them back to Chicago and find himself a nice British woman. 

• Love 8

Gah!  That girl from last night in Manchester really out-kicked her coverage on finding her mate.  He seemed really nice, attractive, positive, and supportive--all the things she did not appear to be.  She was unreal.  Marriage is hard enough, but to not have the support of your spouse and to have him/her complain all. of. the. time?!  

Touring the second place, she said something about the closed concept not being "good for the dog".  WTH?  We have walls in our house and our labs seem to turn the corners just fine.  That's when I lost all hope for the husband.  

Edited by MooCat Pretzel
  • Love 9

Omg.   I'm not the only one who hated Manchester woman!    What a bitch.   She cared more about her dog than her husband.   When she said she has to take care of the dog all day I nearly fell off my bed.  

I was so angry that I had trouble falling asleep. Joanna and Chip had to help me.

• Love 11

Chicago to Manchester woman had better watch it; hubby was good-looking and seemed to be pretty nice, so I can see a British woman snapping him up in no time.  Then Chicago woman can move back home with the damn dog.

• Love 9

Agree with all the comments here on Chicago to Manchester woman.  GAH!

Did anyone else hear her say, at the end, when they were strolling through the park, that there weren't many people around where they now lived???!  Ack!!  That is why living in town would have been great -- she could have strolled to shops, coffee houses, restaurants during the day and her husband would not have had been commuting TWO HOURS a day!

One of them mentioned that this was only a two year assignment for her husband.  What an opportunity.  She had such a poor attitude, and did seem to care more about the dog than her husband.

• Love 8

Yeah, if I didn't have a husband and 3 kids of my own, I would have gladly changed places with Chicago wife in a heartbeat!  I definitely thought the second apt was the better choice. Some green space for the dog, and not so secluded so she could have a better chance of meeting people.  I get as an introvert  needing space and room for quiet, but by being so far away from things it has to make it harder to meet new people.

All that said, she seemed hell bent on hating the experience so maybe she had no interest in meeting people/getting involved.

• Love 7

How horrible it would have been for her to walk the dog each day, strolling around her new city and checking out all of those canals and neighborhoods.  It would have been awful to find a nearby dog park, and meet other dog lovers and neighbors.  I'm sure the dog would have just hated meeting other waggy-tail doggies to run and play with.  How awful it would have been for her to be able to walk to the fruit and veggie market and cheese shop and deli each day to get the freshest groceries for all those meals she is planning to cook in the kitchen.   Spending a couple of hours more each day with her Unnecessarily Nice Husband (lol, Chippings!), perhaps exploring the city together, is too ridiculous to merit consideration over her ability to let the dog out so she won't ever have to leave the house or deal with bad weather, especially when Unnecessarily Nice Husband can simply drive 2 hours a day in the bad weather.  And the idea of being near Unnecessarily Nice Husband's job where they could make friends with his co-workers would just be the worst thing evah.  It's much, much better to lock herself in the apartment all day so she won't notice she's in England.

For the record, she is NOT from Chicago!!!  I have to clarify on Chicago's behalf that they both moved to Chicago from somewhere else.  They mentioned that briefly in the beginning when they were looking at the skyline and pointing out where they each lived when they first moved there. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10

OMG Manchester girl was a total beeyotch! I can't believe she had the audacity to say her dog was her first priority and her husband shouldn't be so selfish.  Excuse me, what?!?!?! 

Of course she wants the house that is over budget,  two hour daily commute for the husband, and has 100% "American look."  And she also wants #3 because in the horrible weather, she won't have to walk the dog!!!  But it's OK with her if her husband drives for 2 hours in horrible weather!!! 

I totally understand how stressful taking care of a dog is. I have more than one dog,  and taking care of them all day long is such a hassle!! I have to open a couple cans of food twice a day, fill a bowl with water, open the door a few times a day so they can go outside, and watch them sleep. Totally exhausting mentally and physically!!!  I hope her husband comes home after working all day,  driving for an hour,  etc and rubs her feet and runs her a bath. 

• Love 13

At the end when the dog was lying on the bed, she looked like she wanted to sleep with the dog instead of her husband.  She was totally creepy.  

The only positive thing I could think of to say about her was that she didn't have a whiny voice like so many of the female HHers.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, izabella said:

For the record, she is NOT from Chicago!!!  I have to clarify on Chicago's behalf that they both moved to Chicago from somewhere else.  They mentioned that briefly in the beginning when they were looking at the skyline and pointing out where they each lived when they first moved there. 

The husband's demeanor and voice convinces me he's Canadian.  Not sure about her, though.

Edited by Bronx Babe

Oh Phil - you insufferable fop.

I am - of course - referring to the British "art lawyer" seeking to move from Venice to Florence because his art lawyering business is circling the drain.  Phil has convinced himself it's due to an inconvenient location or not enough art snobs in the area or the transportation sucks.  I suspect it's because most people spend an hour with him and want to punch him in the throat.  I know I did.

He wants an impressive apartment right in the city with a balcony, at least 2 bedrooms and room for his Baby Grand.  (Of course he has a Baby Grand.) All this for $1350 a month.  His realtor just chuckled.  He ended up with a fairly nice place which was about $100 over budget IIRC.  It was sufficiently pretentious to suit his lofty taste, and to impress his unsuspecting "clients". 

This jerk worked my last nerve.  You just know he fancies himself as a sophisticated, sought-after party guest in some Noel Coward play.  

Edited by Albino
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, Albino said:

This jerk worked my last nerve.  You just know he fancies himself as a sophisticated, sought-after party guest in some Noel Coward play.  

Good description.  I kinda liked him though -- maybe just because he was different.  If he ever talks about anything but himself, he might be entertaining.  I do wonder what's involved in art law.  Ownership?  Authentication?  Copyright? 

The apartment was perfect and Natasha did it up nicely.  It was $300 over budget, at $1650. 

The country house was huge!  Was he going to have the whole building?  I saw two doors, close together.  Was it shared?  If it's shared, maybe the other tenant shares the maintenance.  One advantage of the country house was that he could offer a bedroom to out-of-town clients, save them the hotel cost.   

• Love 4

I gotta say, I really enjoyed the episode in Florence. Totally unexpected since it started out with this guy who clearly has a high opinion of himself reclined on a sofa looking like he's waiting for Robin Leach to interview him. But yeah, this worked for me. Pretentious? Yes. But he that was an enjoyable half hour of HHI. He was perfectly willing to laugh at himself and he sounded more pretentious at times than he actually ended up being on the tours, he sounded refreshingly British like so many others we've seen and liked on here. And I mean, riding on the Segway, basically tripping on it, going down, and laughing at himself was great. Him and Natasa are a hilariously awkward pair that somehow seem perfectly matched and I can see that being a productive working relationship.

Thought them going through each place was great, seeing the details in the home this way where most were admired for their old world charm. So much better than so many of the Americans we've seen who basically just want dishwashers abroad. The furniture in the final place that he chose were great antique pieces and very stately, but it's not to everyone's taste and I feel like more often than not we have some spoiled woman who swore up and down she wanted "character" come into a space like this, wrinkle her nose and say, she couldn't possibly live with the "old" furniture. And yet, the "After" of the place looked great, with a bit of rearranging, some new pieces to mix with the older, and accessories, would have so many dying to live in this space. So, for me, this episode worked from start to finish on different fronts. I surprisingly enjoyed the house hunter and his assistant and I unsurprisingly enjoyed seeing Florence, the city and a bit further into the countryside (that country place was magnificent). I even liked the realtor who was basically told him like, opulent, impressive, and your budget just don't all go hand in hand.

@AuntiePam All of the above are involved with Art Law. Also, taxes are a big part as well given the value of many pieces that would require involving an attorney, paying them and writing them off (displaying or donating art) or using art as currency, etc. I don't remember a ton about it, but it's an interesting area of law. 

FWIW, I didn't view him as having a business that was circling the drain at all. Think about if you have an art law practice in Pittsburgh, which has a respected art scene. But you're not going to do the same amount of business there as you would in NYC, not to mention it's more central to other hubs. I think that's what's going on here and I actually liked the mention of Venice being difficult to travel to and clients finding it a hassle. It's always seemed like that might be true but no one says it. I've never been and Venice looks like a dream, but in terms of traveling to conduct business where scenery isn't the top factor, I could imagine it seeming like it's more trouble than it's worth to navigate a city located on islands with only canals for roads.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Just.....wow. I don't feel sorry for Jon. He knew what he was in for.

She really is a piece of nasty work.  She just HAD to know the when and where of his proposal so she could dress the part?   This is one bad woman who's totally full of herself.  I don't feel sorry for the husband, he's an idiot who knew what she is.  

• Love 4

I loathed that nasty, entitled brat moving from Chicago to Manchester.  What a piece of work...what is she going to do all day?  Watch her dog play in the yard?  but...the utter douchbaggery of the art lawyer was staggering.  lol  I loved the manor house though...gorgeous property.  I actually liked the two city apartments too.  Natasha had to make the call to get the house though..such an arse.

He just came across as so phony, even when he was laughing at himself, BUT I preferred watching him and his nonsense to watching the aforementioned entitled princess.  Her hubby is dumb for putting up with her crap, but that it's problem.  lol 

Edited by AlleC17
5 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Just.....wow. I don't feel sorry for Jon. He knew what he was in for.

No kidding.  On their wedding website, take a look at the attendants.  I know the groom usually isn't as into it as the bride, but...

http://eliza-and-jon.ourwedding.com/view/7232559995824417/33209843

And judging by the latest entry in their guest book, we're not the only ones who are less than enchanted with her:

http://eliza-and-jon.ourwedding.com/view/7232559995824417/33209847

I’m going to hell. I fanwanked that the Manchester woman was once a spoiled, thinner, precious snowflake, who over time, had put on weight and/or had anxiety issues and didn’t want to leave the house or see people. After seeing an old pic of them mid-episode, that’s exactly what it looked like. Then, in their after purchase talking head, it looked like she put on more weight.

I don’t normally harp on someone gaining weight, but she was such a witch about everything. I suspect she’ll be back in Chicago, with the dogs, before his stint is over.

I have no sympathy for the husband. He, literally, fed the monster. They could have compromised. But, he caved in on a daily 2 hour commute, because, as she said, the damn dog was her first priority. The dog.

• Love 4

I always take the stories that HHI tries to protray with a pinch of salt.  The Manchester couple came off unlikable but was it because they were told they had to emphasis the dog and the dog's needs by the producer?  Also since the leases are signed and/or the sales closed before the show is even filmed, the choices are totally bogus.  In other words we don't know why they chose x property but it had nothing to do with the 2 decoy properties.  HHI builds a story involving the 2 decoys and the true new home.

I wanted to dislike the lawyer in Italy, he starts of as seemly rather pretentious but had the ability to laugh at himself.  I suspect he had a lot of fun filming his footage and played it to the hilt.    It was also mentioned that he also dealt with intellectual property law as well as art.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, speac said:

I always take the stories that HHI tries to protray with a pinch of salt.  The Manchester couple came off unlikable but was it because they were told they had to emphasis the dog and the dog's needs by the producer?  Also since the leases are signed and/or the sales closed before the show is even filmed, the choices are totally bogus.  In other words we don't know why they chose x property but it had nothing to do with the 2 decoy properties.  HHI builds a story involving the 2 decoys and the true new home.

That could be, but it doesn't explain why so many couples manage to play along without coming across as selfish and uncompromising as the Manchester woman.  In her case, we'd have to believe that the over-budget house with the two-hour daily commute was the only one they looked at, or that it was the only place that was available. 

ETA:  Or that they both liked it, and husband was coerced to complain about the commute.

Edited by AuntiePam
  • Love 4

I wondered if the husband was told to play up the commute issue. At the end he mentioned being in between Machester and Liverpool and seemed like that was a good thing.

Or maybe he just doesn't mind that hour of peace and quiet in his car before getting back home....

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, morgan said:

I wondered if the husband was told to play up the commute issue. At the end he mentioned being in between Machester and Liverpool and seemed like that was a good thing.

Or maybe he just doesn't mind that hour of peace and quiet in his car before getting back home....

Morgan, you have solved the puzzle! He loves the long drive time of quiet!

On their wedding website I also laughed when answering the "what inspires you" part, he said quotes by Morgan Freeman. I am not aware of any deep, thoughtful quotes by MF. I enjoy his acting and think he has a wonderful voice, but can anyone share any particularly inspirational quotes by him? Please don't dogpile on me if there are a ton of meaningful MF quotes, I just don't pay attention to actors outside of their roles. They are not role models for me.

Morgan Freeman is a social activist and has put a lot of his own money into the Mississippi Delta. I think he owns at least 1 restaurant to help employment and stimulate the economy. He has a lot of depth beyond being an actor.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, morgan said:

I was thinking it gave him some freedom in Manchester to meet someone away from her....He did decide to move to Manchester without consulting her at the exact moment though they had discussed it before. I totally thought he was growing bored and tired with her and was happy for a change of any sort. She seemed to care a lot about being married (sing songy "we're high school sweethearts), but not a bit about her husband and of course, she was much more concerned about her dog than him.

And that wedding website does nothing to make me think differently where he lists "house music" as something he can't live without before he lists her and she didn't mention him at all. I actually think listing house music first is worse in so many ways, like he thought of her but didn't put her first.

I enjoyed the NY couple with the three children moving to New Zealand. They seemed so calm and laid back. And they seemed to genuinely like each other and looked happy together. They were a cute couple. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, morgan said:

Or the excuse to leave an hour earlier! Why has this woman ticked us off so? We know these storylines are only half real, and yet something about her has set us all off!

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

What did he mean by 'house music'?  Music playing in the house?  If so, why not just say 'music'?

It's a genre of music. It's mainly dance music, really heavy on the beat, played in clubs mostly. Try a youtube search-it will probably bring up a bunch of videos.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, TVForever said:

Or the excuse to leave an hour earlier! Why has this woman ticked us off so? We know these storylines are only half real, and yet something about her has set us all off!

She was just such a brat! You know she was going to make their whole time in Manchester just miserable. She had zero concern for her husband. She talked about how she always "won". So childish and obnoxious. But, the husband is a doormat and obviously knows what she is like, if they have been together since high school. He must love being miserable,

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I enjoyed the NY couple with the three children moving to New Zealand. They seemed so calm and laid back. And they seemed to genuinely like each other and looked happy together. They were a cute couple. 

And so nice to see Americans not complaining about small kitchens, or about not having a bedroom and bathroom for each member of the family.

• Love 3

The NY couple in NZ were a very pleasant change to what we normally see.  No expectations of an Americanized house in another country. I hope they enjoy their time there, it looks gorgeous.

• Love 2