Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

These idiots in Utrecht.  He needs a whole room for his shoes. And wants an American feel.    As an American, I am embarrassed. Don’t move to Europe if you want American standards.  

Edited by Meowwww
  • Like 10

Newlyweds move from Bangkok to Hanoi. I don’t know. Mostly I was STFU, Billy. Forever. May have had something to do with his unemployed ass talking non-stop about being in the action. While he job hunts. LOL!  And makes friends!

At the end, he’ll be working at her school. Claiming to be a teacher. Like it’s the most surprising thing ever. Got that. 

Also, while Shutting The Fuck Up Forever, stay the hell off of other people’s beds, Billy. Ugh

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Newlyweds move from Bangkok to Hanoi. I don’t know. Mostly I was STFU, Billy. Forever. May have had something to do with his unemployed ass talking non-stop about being in the action. While he job hunts. LOL!  And makes friends!

At the end, he’ll be working at her school. Claiming to be a teacher. Like it’s the most surprising thing ever. Got that. 

Also, while Shutting The Fuck Up Forever, stay the hell off of other people’s beds, Billy. Ugh

She seemed nice, but he seemed like a little punk, and a little controlling.  Can he just declare that he is now a teacher?  And why do some people feel it is ok to flop on strange beds??  And how is the motor bike ride in the rain?  Doesn't seem like a good location decision to me.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

And why do some people feel it is ok to flop on strange beds?? 

I thought that too but then realized that the place where he bellyflopped on the bed was their place.

Hanoi Billy was supposedly a wildlife photographer in Thailand, but he'd been working at an elephant sanctuary when they first met. He doesn't want to move out to the "sticks", which I would think would bring him a lot closer to wildlife than the city would. And now he's a "teacher". 

I think the boy is shiftless.

On 6/9/2022 at 6:24 AM, seacliffsal said:

Okay, the couple wanting a castle in Spain were really getting on my nerves as they seemed more interested in winning the award for being the most quirkiest quirky couple by being quirky. 

Not to mention competing with each other for who will win the Quirkiest of the Duo award.

All the crap about "I want a modern castle," made me want to scream at them, "You're both acting like ugly Americans, and one of you isn't even American!"

• LOL 3
15 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

Not to mention competing with each other for who will win the Quirkiest of the Duo award.

All the crap about "I want a modern castle," made me want to scream at them, "You're both acting like ugly Americans, and one of you isn't even American!"

First time I had seen that episode in Spain, and the husband especially drove me crazy.  He was like a child insisting on the dumb castle.  His wife has immense patience.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

First time I had seen that episode in Spain, and the husband especially drove me crazy.  He was like a child insisting on the dumb castle.  His wife has immense patience.

She wouldn't stop whining about her snakes.

I thought she was just as bad as he was.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, BAForever said:

Bangkok to Hanoi- Billy was a punk, but they were kind of cute together. Assume she never learned to solo on motorbike. Was hoping she would. 

4 hours ago, mojito said:

Hanoi Billy was supposedly a wildlife photographer in Thailand, but he'd been working at an elephant sanctuary when they first met. He doesn't want to move out to the "sticks", which I would think would bring him a lot closer to wildlife than the city would. And now he's a "teacher". 

It’s a challenge to walk across the street in Hanoi, never mind driving a moped through the intense traffic there if you’ve never driven one before.

The house they chose was great for the view and all the places seemed to have comparable amenities.

House 1, they said there was nothing but in one of the wide shots, not only were there other high rises but a cluster of smaller buildings which looked like a business district.

Probably tough to make a good income doing wildlife or even street photos.  So they probably work at a school where Western expats send their children or maybe affluent Vietnamese send their kids to get them Westernized education.

Edited by aghst
  • Like 4

Newlyweds in Hanoi: boy am I in Opposite World. I thought Morgan was *terrible*. Maybe since she knew they'd already chosen the city apartment, she thought it would be cute to go on and on about wanting a place in the middle of nowhere so she could walk to work. And all the visitors they're expecting: what would *they* do out in the sticks? I found some of Billy's wildlife photos on websites, so I hope he can still do that. I don't think it's odd that he'd accept a job at the U.N. school where Morgan works (I looked her up, too) since he's driving there every day anyway. It didn't sound to me like he thought that automatically made him a fully certified teacher. 

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, mojito said:

how majny times did we have to hear that eh wanted to be where the action is??? yikes

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jodithgrace said:

How does somebody spontaneously become a teacher? I did 4 years of college and a mandatory masters to be able to teach. I didn’t just “decide.”

especially in a foreign country

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

How does somebody spontaneously become a teacher? I did 4 years of college and a mandatory masters to be able to teach. I didn’t just “decide.”

He's not on the school's list of faculty and staff, like Morgan is, so maybe they just hired him to come in and do some kind of demonstration. 

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

He's not on the school's list of faculty and staff, like Morgan is, so maybe they just hired him to come in and do some kind of demonstration. 

Or sweep the floors and empty the wastebaskets. 😄

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

He mentioned being a substitute teacher. Many elementary teachers are women who may have small children. Little kids get sick a lot and a reliable substitute is often valuable. He may be doing that and could work fairly regularly. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, BAForever said:

He mentioned being a substitute teacher. Many elementary teachers are women who may have small children. Little kids get sick a lot and a reliable substitute is often valuable. He may be doing that and could work fairly regularly. 

Either that or the school where they work is mainly to teach the students English at a highly proficient level, using native speakers as teachers.

So he could probably do that for substitute stints, speak to the students, give them some exercises or use lesson plans which teach grammar, spelling, etc.

• Like 2
On 10/7/2023 at 8:07 PM, BAForever said:

He may be doing that and could work fairly regularly. 

I know several people in my area who substitute for teachers and seem to be in demand.  I think they have to take some courses or some kind of seminar before they can substitute.  I know a guy who retired from another job and has found steady work with the same high school by being a substitute teacher.  

I liked the apartment they ended up with.  The view was beautiful!  

The other episode with the guy who owns all of the shoes was a little much.  A closet full of shoes is one thing, but to put them on display "front and center" (I believe that's what he said), was ridiculous. 

• Like 5
On 10/7/2023 at 12:31 PM, Jodithgrace said:

I took his statement as he really enjoyed being a substitue and was going to work to become a full-time teacher; not that he was automatically going to become one. 

• Like 2

Sunshine Coast, Australia. Nice mixture of accents, his Scottish and her Australian. That first place was perfect but sharing it with 3 other people. I understand his reluctance. Thought for sure he was picking the place with the dog. He has a healthy fear of the bush. Could we check back with Andrew again? So rare to have someone who is nice and nice to look at/listen to on these shows.

• Like 9

I just can’t with this couple moving to London. Everyone knows how expensive London is and they were so obnoxious with wanting all the space and modern amenities so close to the city. I’m sure the real estate agent wanted to strangle the wife because I sure wanted to.

• Like 2

Andrew wiped his feet on the mat before entering #2.  So not raised by wolves. Straightforward selection—the rustic place was made for him. And his new dog! Would very much like to check back with him.

Realtor was a hoot, and right on the money about his parking skillz and craptastic driving.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Realtor was a hoot, and right on the money about his parking skillz and craptastic driving.

She was. He parked and I wanted to yell at him "I'm okay, I can make it to the sidewalk from here" like my friends would if I parked that far away. And when he barreled into that roundabout - yikes! I hadn't even seen a sign saying whether he had the right of way. When my town in Northern California got its first roundabout years ago, I almost got clocked on the first day it was open by a woman in a van who just came in instead of yielding to people already in it. 

I laughed when Mr. $900 a month strolled up to the 4-bedroom beachside home and asked "So I'd be sharing with other people, then?" And at the granny flat: Andy: "It's kind of like a dungeon." Realtor: "I think Andrew loves this place."

The cabin in the woods was the obvious choice. The camera person did a good job when Andy came out of the bathroom and jumped at something on the ground, and the camera panned down to show it was a stick and not a snake. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

I really liked Scottish surfer dude Andrew.  With his personality, looks and accent, I could see him getting some side acting gigs.  Not saying he'd be a superstar or anything, but I can imagine him being in some B-movies.  

• Like 8
On 10/11/2023 at 2:57 AM, Mediocre Gatsby said:

She was. He parked and I wanted to yell at him "I'm okay, I can make it to the sidewalk from here" like my friends would if I parked that far away. And when he barreled into that roundabout - yikes! I hadn't even seen a sign saying whether he had the right of way. When my town in Northern California got its first roundabout years ago, I almost got clocked on the first day it was open by a woman in a van who just came in instead of yielding to people already in it. 

I laughed when Mr. $900 a month strolled up to the 4-bedroom beachside home and asked "So I'd be sharing with other people, then?" And at the granny flat: Andy: "It's kind of like a dungeon." Realtor: "I think Andrew loves this place."

The cabin in the woods was the obvious choice. The camera person did a good job when Andy came out of the bathroom and jumped at something on the ground, and the camera panned down to show it was a stick and not a snake. 

but the bathroom was outside? nope, that would do it for me, but i guess he adjusted somehow.

• Like 7
On 10/11/2023 at 2:57 AM, Mediocre Gatsby said:

To me the second place was a much better choice.  No way would I have wanted to live that far out in the bush.  I didn't see what the big deal was about having upstairs neighbors since he wouldn't be sharing space with them.  But as long as he was happy.  And yes, he was a gorgeous boy, he surely wasn't single for too long after hitting Noosa.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't see what the big deal was about having upstairs neighbors since he wouldn't be sharing space with them.

Ha, just a difference in experience - I live in a ground-floor apartment now and I will *never* do that again. I hear absolutely everything from the guy above me. 

The friendly dog was nice, though!

• Like 6

I visited Noosa last year.  Had to back into the parking space, fortunately not much traffic.

Didn’t venture out to the bush, stayed near the coast, where there’s crazy traffic in November, which is like May for them.

Parking was impossible in the main drag which was also near the main beach.  

So if surfing was his main thing, he’d have to deal with the traffic and parking, rather than walking to the beach.

There are other beaches though so maybe he goes to one of them.

Or maybe his job keeps him busy.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5
18 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't see what the big deal was about having upstairs neighbors since he wouldn't be sharing space with them. 

We lived in an apartment for a while, and we were on the first floor.  We heard every step the upstairs guy made because the floor in his apartment squeaked in certain areas, and he wasn't a little guy!  It was super annoying!  

The first house the guy looked at was nice, but I wouldn't want to move to another country and sign up to room with several people I didn't know.

The house out in the woods was a little creepy, as in maybe not up to building code.  Although the bathroom was just a few steps away from the main building, I wouldn't like having to step outside in the dark.  Snakes crawl at night!!  I didn't like any of this guy's options!!  

• Like 4

I would watch Scottish guy looking for apartments every episode lol he was gorgeous and that accent-Swoon!

I didn’t like any of his options either. Fancy place was too polished for his surfer, laid back vibe. Basement apartment wouldn’t offer much privacy sharing a yard, etc with another family. And the last one looked like a strong wind would knock it over. Plus, having to walk outside to get to the bathroom? No way his guests would enjoy that if any of them are female.  

Good looking, sweet, Scottish accent AND he gets a dog at the end of the episode? Andrew won’t be hurting for company for a long. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

Although the bathroom was just a few steps away from the main building, I wouldn't like having to step outside in the dark.  Snakes crawl at night!! 

Exactly why I hated option 3.

I got used to my upstairs neighbors fairly quickly when I lived in a basement apartment.  Although I was amused when I could clearly hear the one neighbor having sex with our married landlord.

• LOL 5
On 10/11/2023 at 1:57 AM, Mediocre Gatsby said:

The camera person did a good job when Andy came out of the bathroom and jumped at something on the ground, and the camera panned down to show it was a stick and not a snake. 

His reaction was so funny.  And genuine.  I rewinded and watched it probably five times, laughing.

I know a guy who has a neighbor above and he can hear every footstep, but what bugged him most was every morning the neighbor would pull out a chair where she sits to do her makeup and it made a horrible racket.  He actually bought her a rug to put under it. 

• Like 4

Iceland! Have we ever been here? Ugh, we're not seeing much of the landscape because they want to be downtown. The buildings are interesting and colorful. That church is very cool. I know it's a trope, but why go to the trouble of moving to a different country and then insist your lodging be just like at home? That was a dark color throughout the whole apartment at #2. Horses! She's going to push for #3 and he's right, it's too small. Wow, she's going to schlep the laundry.

• Like 6

The Iceland episode left me with a lot of questions.  Seems like the wife runs the family from all of the comments and background information that was given.  Selling house, car, etc. and uprooting a family to fulfill a desire of one spouse to live in a foreign country seemed a bit extreme to me.  At the end of the episode she ticked off all of the countries they had visited in that usual "3 months later" time frame, and it sounded like they were on an airplane almost every weekend.  That must be expensive, but maybe frequent flyer miles pay for a lot of it.  Maybe once they moved to Iceland, she figured out that there aren't 4 seasons like Michigan has, and to be warm, you have to fly somewhere else.

As for the apartments, why would someone use such dark paint (#2) in a place where there aren't many daylight hours?  I liked the layout, but the dark paint would be depressing (IMO).  The boys are old enough to help with the laundry, so maybe that will be an assigned chore for them.  At least the husband won't be walking 40 minutes to work with the apartment they chose.  What's she going to do all day when the kids are in school, and the husband is at work?  This is one where I wish we could have a revisit a year from now.     

• Like 9

Iceland: loved seeing a place I recently visited. Plus, the family was moving from a neighboring city to town I grew up in.

I envy kids who spend timing growing up abroad. I do think it broadens their perspectives, something most didn't get until college or later. Good to see that the kids were loving Iceland in the follow-up segment.

Made sense to me why they wanted to be downtown, especially without a car. While there's so much more to the country, living outside the city would be isolating even with transportation. 

#1 was the best choice for them, laundry situation aside. I actually liked the dark grey in #2 but I'm odd in that I feel like dark wall colors with white trim makes room look larger not smaller. 

• Like 5

Those Icelandic horses were beautiful and seemed significantly smaller/shorter than horses here in the U S. I think they chose the best home for their needs. 

The couple rattled off a list of European countries they had visited already. I would not have thought Iceland was that close to mainland Europe, but I guess so. I don't think I could deal with all the Winter darkness. 

Edited by ECM1231
  • Like 5
27 minutes ago, NoReally said:

Did they ever say why they couldn't get a car? If it were me, I'd want one, if nothing else to spend some time exploring on weekends.

Things are suppose to be very expensive in Iceland.  Maybe very difficult and expensive to park car in the city.

But even 20 minutes in the dark cold would be a lot of walking.

Yeah it seems like she really wanted to move, was searching for jobs for him in other countries.  Or maybe her quitting her job was a part of it too.

Maybe they settled on Iceland because it was the closest they could get to Europe?  They seemed to have gone away a lot.

It's interesting that they visited Europe more than explore the wild landscapes of Iceland.  Maybe more attracted to culture.

At one point she talks about wanting her sons to be more exposed to diversity.  I've not been to any part of Michigan or Iceland but I would think ethnically they're similar unless they lived near Detroit or some other big city with a big Afro-American population

But it appears the boys are going to an Icelandic school, not an international school where English would be the primary language?  The Icelanders are suppose to speak English well -- obviously the husband can take a job there not knowing how to speak Icelandic.

• Like 4

I didn't like the wife-and found it interesting that in his individual interviews the husband expressed some 'concerns' about his wife-specifically noting that she was never satisfied and was always looking for the next thing.  The move wasn't his idea and she even found the job for him so it doesn't sound like he was looking to make a move.  I think she felt slighted that she didn't get to do what she wanted while growing up-especially travel.  Well Buttercup, a lot of us didn't get to do everything we wanted while growing up.

I hope the boys are making friends, but if their gone every weekend they may not be making too many friends.

Oh, and I'm going to Iceland next summer-very excited!

• Like 10
1 hour ago, aghst said:

At one point she talks about wanting her sons to be more exposed to diversity.  I've not been to any part of Michigan or Iceland but I would think ethnically they're similar

I would think Iceland would be far less diverse than the vast majority of the US.  Iceland's famous for having a pretty homogenous population although it has changed a bit in the last several years.  They've gotten more immigration, but the largest minority ethnic groups are Polish, Ukrainian and Romanian.  I'm not sure that's what most people would consider diversity.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, aghst said:

At one point she talks about wanting her sons to be more exposed to diversity.  I've not been to any part of Michigan or Iceland but I would think ethnically they're similar unless they lived near Detroit or some other big city with a big Afro-American population

Diversity refers to more than just race. I thought she was referencing cultural diversity, which living abroad anywhere definitely provides.

The suburb of Detroit they were moving from, Grosse Ile, is not at all diverse racially speaking. And, as an island community, it's more insular that most. 

3 hours ago, NoReally said:

Did they ever say why they couldn't get a car? If it were me, I'd want one, if nothing else to spend some time exploring on weekends.

I imagine they would easily rent a car for domestic weekend travel.  I loved that they'd already done a lot of exploring in Europe. Take advantage of the extra time off (what did the bumper say, a minimum of 24 vacation days and 13 national holidays?) and cheap airfare to easily visit so many places. 

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Oh, and I'm going to Iceland next summer-very excited!

I just went for the first time in July. Amazingly beautiful country. As a waterfall junkie, I was in heaven. You'll have a blast! 

• Like 5

Even though I agree that living somewhere else even for a while, can give kids skills that they can use later in life, the woman was bugging the crap out of me. At least she went for the apartment that had the most of what they needed. I hope that she never really contemplated getting the second apartment where, for the sake of her convenience doing laundry, she would have made her husband walk an additional 40 minutes *every day*. 

Things I want to know: 

Is there no public transportation in Iceland? The husband's only choice was to walk to work?

Was there never even a thought of giving the biggest bedroom to the two boys who will share?

How did it work with one bedroom open to the whole apartment for most of the day (I did see pocket doors)?

This might be the first time I've seen a HHer sit in the tub and on the bed of two places that they didn't choose. 

• Like 3