Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

There is such a thing as historical charm, but it's hardly specific to England.

This. Hey HHI producers. We know some low level intern is reading this forum. Stop with the obligatory "charm" requirement. Location, number of beds/baths, open or closed floor plan, one story or two, outdoor space, parking, easy access to public transportation are all acceptable options of discussion between the house hunters. "Charm" is not. Thanks!

• Fire 1
  • Applause 8

Especially since most of these people think badly painted, oversized wooden beams on a ceiling too low for them = charm. 

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, BAForever said:

This. Hey HHI producers. We know some low level intern is reading this forum. Stop with the obligatory "charm" requirement. Location, number of beds/baths, open or closed floor plan, one story or two, outdoor space, parking, easy access to public transportation are all acceptable options of discussion between the house hunters. "Charm" is not. Thanks!

I wouldn't mind the "charm" thing so much if they actually said they wanted historical charm.  Because I get that.  It's something I would want in a flat/house.  It's not the most important thing, but it could be a deciding factor for me.  The way it's presented on HHI, however, is totally annoying.  Of course so is the insistence on wanting everything just like it is in the US.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The way it's presented on HHI, however, is totally annoying.  Of course so is the insistence on wanting everything just like it is in the US.

Bingo. I want charm--why is this kitchen so small, WTF this refrigerator, no closets?!, kinda cramped, I dunno, it's not like our big-ass house in Texas. HHs sound so stupid and Show not much better. Can they express the concern between wanting a home that's traditional to the new country vs. all the comforts of an American-style home? Sure, if you insist. But that gives it a context that doesn't make us throw up in our mouths a little in half the episodes.

Also, think about a series with Adrian, Richard and Kevin (new eps, not repackaged reruns, thanks). I'd pay to watch the three of them chatting together about HHs, too.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Bingo. I want charm--why is this kitchen so small, WTF this refrigerator, no closets?!, kinda cramped, I dunno, it's not like our big-ass house in Texas. HHs sound so stupid and Show not much better. Can they express the concern between wanting a home that's traditional to the new country vs. all the comforts of an American-style home? Sure, if you insist. But that gives it a context that doesn't make us throw up in our mouths a little in half the episodes.

Also, think about a series with Adrian, Richard and Kevin (new eps, not repackaged reruns, thanks). I'd pay to watch the three of them chatting together about HHs, too.

Remember during early Covid they did a few Comedians on Couch" discussing epis and gently mocking Hunters. Doing that with fave realtors would work. 

• Like 11
2 hours ago, BAForever said:

Remember during early Covid they did a few Comedians on Couch" discussing epis and gently mocking Hunters.

That was a fun series, but they only made fun of the HHs and the houses, they didn't mock the repetitive and/or ridiculous storylines of the show itself.  I'd have tipped my hat to the production company if they'd have included that as well.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Freising, Germany. Geez, autocorrect changed Freising to Freaking. Ryan seems like a good friend who's looking out for Dan. Wonder if he's told Dan that nose ring looks horrible? Liked the vignette of Dan and Jonas playing basketball. Studio place had no real living space. The shared space, I think Jonas said the 2 roommates were women. 1 bathroom may not be ideal. If the suburb place was convenient to public transportation, it might be doable. Hope Dan can find a job when he finishes his degree.

During the deliberation, the friend asked if he would choose the place without roommates having never met the roommates?

How would that be possible?

In the US, often one person leases and then selects the roommates.

So if this house hunter wanted to live in that place, he gets to decide to move in?

Maybe in Germany the landlord decides and the tenants have to accept it?

Seems unlikely.  He must have met the roommates but they declined to appear on the show so they never showed them interacting with him.

I can see wanting to be close to campus though instead of having to commute all the time.

OK in the 3 months after, he was cutting up fruit into a bowl, took the bowl outside to the balcony and sat at a table.  Then he added some chips onto the bowl?

Did I see that right?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, buttersister said:

I want charm--why is this kitchen so small, WTF this refrigerator, no closets?!, kinda cramped, I dunno, it's not like our big-ass house in Texas.

There was an episode a few years ago about a family moving from Las Vegas back to somewhere in Europe.  The husband was from Europe and he really didn't want to go back, but the wife wanted to experience life in Europe.  He kept saying he liked the size of houses in America.  I think he was over the European "charm". 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, aghst said:

OK in the 3 months after, he was cutting up fruit into a bowl, took the bowl outside to the balcony and sat at a table.  Then he added some chips onto the bowl?

Did I see that right?

Noticed that too. Odd combination for a snack.

• Like 1

I side with the parents of the German house hunter.  So, he worked for 3 years (sales) and decided it was too hard so is going for a Masters.  Living on student loans.  Hopefully, he will be diligent in his studies (in which case the studio would have been a fine choice, but he kept harping on being able to host gatherings...).  His friend was a good friend to go to Germany for the hunt/being on t.v.  Hope it works out for him; it would be interesting to see what he's doing in a year or so as he just didn't seem that committed to me.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I side with the parents of the German house hunter.  So, he worked for 3 years (sales) and decided it was too hard so is going for a Masters.  Living on student loans.  Hopefully, he will be diligent in his studies (in which case the studio would have been a fine choice, but he kept harping on being able to host gatherings...).  His friend was a good friend to go to Germany for the hunt/being on t.v.  Hope it works out for him; it would be interesting to see what he's doing in a year or so as he just didn't seem that committed to me.

Also, did they say he speaks German?

Or that the degree program at the German university will be in English?

That's not uncommon thing, European universities have English programs to attract paying students.

But wonder if that degree would be recognized in English-speaking countries because if he doesn't speak German, his job choices would be in Canada and the UK.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

They did show him looking at something on the computer about rock formations (I think) and it was in English. 

I think it’s fishy that he chose the roommate apartment without meeting the roommates first, but of course he did meet them beforehand and had probably been living there for some time. The roommates just didn’t want to be filmed. 

If a guy can throw cheese on a raw hamburger, (previous episode) why not chop up fruit into a bowl and throw chips into it? The directors probably just want the HHs to do some action, even if it doesn’t make sense, figuring that we won’t notice…but of course…we do.  

• Like 9
  • Wink 1
10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I wouldn't mind the "charm" thing so much if they actually said they wanted historical charm.  Because I get that.  It's something I would want in a flat/house.  It's not the most important thing, but it could be a deciding factor for me.  The way it's presented on HHI, however, is totally annoying.  Of course so is the insistence on wanting everything just like it is in the US.

With historical charm comes small drafty windows. Closed off kitchens, small rooms so they can keep them warm with a fireplace, narrow stairs , bathrooms in odd places.   They want open plan, dishwasher, nice kitchen and English charm.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, aghst said:

In the US, often one person leases and then selects the roommates.

That's typical but I have also heard of situations, especially in college towns, where the owner of a home will set up individual rental agreements per bedroom with the understanding that the living room/kitchen...etc. is a shared space.  Some landlords find that easier to deal with than the drama of roommates graduating before a lease is up or when friends become enemies when living in the same space.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Bluesky said:

With historical charm comes small drafty windows. Closed off kitchens, small rooms so they can keep them warm with a fireplace, narrow stairs , bathrooms in odd places.   They want open plan, dishwasher, nice kitchen and English charm.  

None of those things particularly bother me because I grew up in an old house with small rooms, narrow stairs and only one bathroom for 5 people.  Of course, I'd know going in what to expect from places with historical charm and not be looking for that AND open plan, etc.  Unlike the stupid storylines the producers of this show push.

So yeah, these HHI-ers thinking they can get both is ridiculous but I really doubt that they don't already realize that.  It's a stupid storyline.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
On 1/3/2024 at 6:40 PM, seacliffsal said:

Hopefully, he will be diligent in his studies (in which case the studio would have been a fine choice, but he kept harping on being able to host gatherings...).

Almost every house hunter talks about hosting guests & family.  I wonder just how many people they actually end up hosting!  I would've rather had the apartment to myself, but hopefully he's happy with his roommates and the place he chose worked out just fine. 

I was more concerned when he laughed and said that he hoped he can find a job in his field of study.  That's something you need to have some idea about before spending all of that money on college!  

• Like 5
(edited)

Richard and the Canadian set designer in Chiswick, where she obviously landed. Other than Natural Light, I was glad she wasn’t going off about English charm. Or wanting a second bedroom for guests. Hope she has a great time in London.

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 12
19 hours ago, buttersister said:

Other than Natural Light, I was glad she wasn’t going off about English charm. Or wanting a second bedroom for guests.

Her going on and on about the carpeted kitchen got on my nerves!  Granted, I wouldn't like that either, but it looked more like indoor/outdoor carpet, so it probably won't be so bad, and it'll help keep her a little warmer!  That looked like it was a big home at one time that got chopped up into apartments.  Maybe the kitchen used to be a living space and they put the kitchen in there and didn't want to remove the carpet.  It looked fairly new though.  I wonder why they couldn't use the original front door either.  So many questions!!  I'd love to know the history of the place.  

Since she didn't mention "entertaining guests" in the beginning, I was surprised when she had a cow about the one apartment not having a separate bathroom with a shower and how a guest would have to go through her room to bathe.  I'm assuming it would be a close friend or relative visiting, so having them use your shower for a few days really shouldn't be a big deal.  

She was a good sport though about the ground floor, not a ground floor apartment!  It looked too cramped though.  I love the balcony on the apartment she chose.  That looked very relaxing.  I'm glad she's happy.  

• Like 6
59 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

Her going on and on about the carpeted kitchen got on my nerves!  Granted, I wouldn't like that either, but it looked more like indoor/outdoor carpet, so it probably won't be so bad, and it'll help keep her a little warmer!  That looked like it was a big home at one time that got chopped up into apartments.  Maybe the kitchen used to be a living space and they put the kitchen in there and didn't want to remove the carpet.  It looked fairly new though.  I wonder why they couldn't use the original front door either.  So many questions!!  I'd love to know the history of the place.    

It looked like it was originally a large home that was divided into apartments to me.  The front door perhaps entered into one of the other units and wasn't a communal front door.  

• Like 4
(edited)

I once lived in an apartment that was on the second floor.  There was an indoor/outdoor type carpet in the kitchen which was supposed to keep the sound from going into the apartment below. I did not like it.  It was a pain when something was spilled.  On the other hand, my mother loved carpet, and  the only room that did not have carpet was the kitchen.  Even the bathrooms had plush carpet. (shudder)  Under all that carpet there were 60 year old untouched hardwood floors.  When we sold the house, the new buyers were thrilled.  The floors were gorgeous.

Edited by CalicoKitty
missing letter
  • Like 7
7 minutes ago, Notabug said:

The front door perhaps entered into one of the other units and wasn't a communal front door.  

When they were in the living room, I saw what appeared to be that front door with a lot of locks on it, but that might've been a different door.  It was hard to tell.  

2 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

There was a indoor/outdoor type carpet in the kitchen which was supposed to keep the sound from going into the apartment below.

That's what I was thinking, but if it's a squeaky floor, that's not going to help!!  She said that she doesn't cook very much, so maybe she won't be spilling anything on the carpet.  At least it wasn't a shag carpet!  The realtor said it looked like vinyl flooring.  

• Like 3

she had a cow about the one apartment not having a separate bathroom with a shower and how a guest would have to go through her room to bathe. 

I'd hate that, too. Go figure it'd be first thing in the morning or late at night.

And I didn't think she was as upset about the carpeting as Richard was. LOL. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, buttersister said:

Go figure it'd be first thing in the morning or late at night.

There was a separate bathroom.  It didn't have a shower though. 

It was nice to see a HH not insist on a separate room for guests, until it got to the part where if she did have a guest, they would have to use her bathroom to shower, and that was a problem. Unless she plans to have a steady stream of houseguests, I don't see this as a dealbreaker. I would think a considerate houseguest would not wait until you have gone to bed to decide to take a shower in your room.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
On 1/3/2024 at 1:48 PM, buttersister said:

Co-signed. Add Flor from the Netherlands. There's the guy with the hat from Australia, an older gentleman in Mexico who, for some reason, reminds me of the older gentleman in Spain that I like too. There was a Kevin type in Ireland ages ago but I haven't seen him in forever. They can sub them in a special guests or something.

Speaking of missing people, where's the bubbly woman from the Netherlands who isn't Flor been?

• Like 1
On 1/5/2024 at 8:33 PM, CalicoKitty said:

Even the bathrooms had plush carpet. (shudder) 

The scourge of 80s indoor design - carpet in the bathroom.  I remember it well. 🤢

• Like 3

Chang Mai again?? Enough. A producer must live there or something.

Cute family, the kids were adorable and they got a huge house for $1150/mo. Makes sense to move closer to her family since they're digital nomads. 

The third looked to be open no A/C. That would be an immediate deal breaker for me in that humidity.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, snarts said:

Chang Mai again?? Enough. A producer must live there or something.

Cute family, the kids were adorable and they got a huge house for $1150/mo. Makes sense to move closer to her family since they're digital nomads. 

The third looked to be open no A/C. That would be an immediate deal breaker for me in that humidity.

Not to mention the bugs.

American husband said he was getting tired of Thai food and the Thai wife joked that they would have to live near the town for his burgers.

But he said he got sick after eating some street food.

They got a lot of space for the growing kids for that money.

Yeah I can only recall a couple of Bangkok episodes.  But I guess one of the main reasons Westerners move to Thailand or Asia would be cost of living so they can really maximize savings in cities other than Bangkok.

• Like 1
On 1/8/2024 at 9:36 AM, ML89 said:

Speaking of missing people, where's the bubbly woman from the Netherlands who isn't Flor been?

That's Sara Hegger.  She had moved back to the US but has now returned to the Netherlands and will be filming more HHI.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
On 1/9/2024 at 6:13 PM, buttersister said:

Hey, now that we're a forum, would anyone be up for a thread about our favorite realtors? (Sorry, mod, I've never started anything official here, so just shy.)

Sorry for the late reply, life has been handing me tons and tons of snow. With more on the way... 

I will try to get an official mod post up soon but yes, the realtor topic is fine. (Although it could use a few graphics and short video clips. 🙂  hint, hint) 

• Thanks 1
On 1/10/2024 at 11:38 AM, aghst said:

American husband said he was getting tired of Thai food and the Thai wife joked that they would have to live near the town for his burgers.

His wife said that he "somehow looked good" on his online profile (that's how they met).  How rude!!  Then at the end of the episode she told him to tell her that he loves her.  It was in a Linda Blair, Exorcist, kind of way.  Yikes!  He also mentioned that she'll pick his socks up right away whenever he puts them on the floor, and that bugs him.  Say what?  Put your dirty socks in the hamper where they belong, or if clean, put them in the dresser drawer they belong in.  Sheesh.

She's never seen a urinal, and didn't seem to know what one was?  How odd.  

I liked the house they ended up with.  Glad to see the kids enjoying the yard.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 1/5/2024 at 8:33 PM, CalicoKitty said:

Under all that carpet there were 60 year old untouched hardwood floors. 

Jealous!!! 

Big Change Northern Beaches, Australia.  Cute couple.  Wife's hair color was wild.

Beautiful beaches.

Bet the neighbors love that a drummer moved in lol

Edited by Pi237
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Pi237 said:

Jealous!!! 

Big Change Northern Beaches, Australia.  Cute couple.  Wife's hair color was wild.

Beautiful beaches.

Bet the neighbors love that a drummer moved in lol

He volunteered for the longer commute in exchange for place with lower rent.

They showed different last names but presumably are married after all these years — at least 8 years.  That would be the easiest way for him to get a visa or citizenship which would allow him to work in Australia.

Yeah it’s farther from Sydney CBD than the more famous Bondi or Manly beaches.  More low key area.

• Like 3

Once again, a couple says what I am always thinking, that this is a good starter place and they can move further down the road. I’m tired of couples agonizing over rental places as though they were going to be locked in for life. 

• Like 14
1 hour ago, aghst said:

He volunteered for the longer commute in exchange for place with lower rent.

Hopefully the commute won't be a bad one.  I've had 30-40 minute commutes that were absolute traffic hell, and then other commutes that were a breeze.  It's always great saving money on the house/apartment, but if you're in traffic hell for over an hour a day, sometimes that isn't worth it!!  

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

Once again, a couple says what I am always thinking, that this is a good starter place and they can move further down the road. I’m tired of couples agonizing over rental places as though they were going to be locked in for life. 

I liked that too.  And they seemed pleasant and not annoying.  I liked the first place the best (except for the carpet) but they chose the best place for them for now.

His commute could take him across the Sydney Harbour Bridge, where there are views of the Sydney Opera House, though maybe not from the cars -- the walkways are on the sides so they get the best view.

But there is also a tunnel that goes under the Harbour as well.

If he wanted to use public transportation, it would take a lot longer and make him switch between buses and trains and ferries.  The ferry from Manly to the Circular Quay, great for views on clear days.

But cars are the fastest, though the parking in the center of Sydney ould be very expensive.

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, aghst said:

But cars are the fastest, though the parking in the center of Sydney ould be very expensive.

I wonder how much longer of a commute it is in comparison to the more expensive apartment.  With gas prices high, the shorter commute with a more expensive apartment might've evened out.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Chit Chat said:

I wonder how much longer of a commute it is in comparison to the more expensive apartment.  With gas prices high, the shorter commute with a more expensive apartment might've evened out.  

Distance between the two places is a 30 minutes drive according to Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Avalon+Beach,+New+South+Wales+2107,+Australia/Dee+Why,+New+South+Wales+2099,+Australia/@-33.6928812,151.2271887,12z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b72ad32d4410349:0x5017d681632ac40!2m2!1d151.3311538!2d-33.6332741!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b0d55874e2bee61:0x5017d681632b440!2m2!1d151.2869177!2d-33.7525344!3e0?entry=ttu

Place they chose is northeast of Sydney.  The place they didn't choose is to the south so closer to Sydney.

So as they said the difference in commute is 1 hour each way vs. about half that.

• Like 1

Nashville to Lisbon, family of 4, teen boy and teen girl, both around 13-16 and two good sized dogs.

Father will do podcasts so need office space.  Asking for 4 bedrooms, near metro station and $2000 a month.

They put up their house back in Nashville for rent and their oldest daughter is staying back because she's in college.

House 1 - $2000 with outdoor space for the dogs but only 3 bedrooms so two teens of the opposite sex both undergoing puberty will have to share.

House 2 - $2400, 4th floor, no outdoor space, no elevator.  Wife likes the style or character of the home, father doesn't like the price.  He later expresses concerns that he might not find enough clients for his podcasts, which was teaching people something.  Not sure but he needs dedicated space with sound control to do his recordings.

House 3 - Unfurnished, $2200, 4 bedrooms, not near metro.  They like the place, the wife for the surrounding neighborhood with historic buildings and the general layout and he for a nice studio/office space for his podcasts.

They eliminate House 2 and end up choosing House 1 because of the outdoor space for dogs.

3 months later the teens claim they're okay sharing the room and they show the father recording something.

I'm dubious that they plan a long term stay.  In fact I wonder if the "3 months later" was really 3 months later.  How long can the kids stand not having privacy?

They still have a home that they rented out back home.

This episode doesn't quite have all the production values.  No drone shots and when they did the deliberations, they went to some big square instead of a bar, cafe or restaurant, which is odd given that Lisbon has a thriving dining scene, cafes too.

In fact you didn't see the iconic neighborhoods like Baixa or Chiado, with the colorful, tiled buildings.  Well they showed some shots nearby, like the Arco da rua Augusta and they did walk out to the Praca do Comercio and the waterfront.

These areas are usually packed though, so maybe that is why they avoided.  Or maybe they need to get permits to shoot in certain areas and they're unwilling to pay for the permits.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, aghst said:

Nashville to Lisbon, family of 4, teen boy and teen girl, both around 13-16 and two good sized dogs.

Father will do podcasts so need office space.  Asking for 4 bedrooms, near metro station and $2000 a month.

They put up their house back in Nashville for rent and their oldest daughter is staying back because she's in college.

House 1 - $2000 with outdoor space for the dogs but only 3 bedrooms so two teens of the opposite sex both undergoing puberty will have to share.

House 2 - $2400, 4th floor, no outdoor space, no elevator.  Wife likes the style or character of the home, father doesn't like the price.  He later expresses concerns that he might not find enough clients for his podcasts, which was teaching people something.  Not sure but he needs dedicated space with sound control to do his recordings.

House 3 - Unfurnished, $2200, 4 bedrooms, not near metro.  They like the place, the wife for the surrounding neighborhood with historic buildings and the general layout and he for a nice studio/office space for his podcasts.

They eliminate House 2 and end up choosing House 1 because of the outdoor space for dogs.

3 months later the teens claim they're okay sharing the room and they show the father recording something.

I'm dubious that they plan a long term stay.  In fact I wonder if the "3 months later" was really 3 months later.  How long can the kids stand not having privacy?

They still have a home that they rented out back home.

This episode doesn't quite have all the production values.  No drone shots and when they did the deliberations, they went to some big square instead of a bar, cafe or restaurant, which is odd given that Lisbon has a thriving dining scene, cafes too.

In fact you didn't see the iconic neighborhoods like Baixa or Chiado, with the colorful, tiled buildings.  Well they showed some shots nearby, like the Arco da rua Augusta and they did walk out to the Praca do Comercio and the waterfront.

These areas are usually packed though, so maybe that is why they avoided.  Or maybe they need to get permits to shoot in certain areas and they're unwilling to pay for the permits.

I thought it was strange that they went on and on about the importance of separate bedrooms, saying they'd promised the kids their own room; only to backslide.  I have never been to Lisbon, but was surprised that we didn't see more scenic areas.  It seemed like all the apartment were in rather blah neighborhoods.  Usually, at least one of the decoys is in the center of the action.

I agree, this must be a very short term stay and they are planning to return to the US pretty quickly. Otherwise, the room that the kids shared was rather large and had features that would've made it fairly easy to achieve some separation for the kids with bookcases, screens, curtains, etc but it didn't look like they'd done any of that.  If I was a 16 or 17 year old girl, I would've been pretty ticked off having to share a bedroom with my preteen/early teen brother.  There is also the young adult sister. If they're going to be there for the long haul, surely they would've wanted space for her to come for school breaks and vacations. 

I don't really understand why the husband's office couldn't have also been used as a bedroom.  Not ideal, but better than kids that age sharing a room, IMO.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 10
20 hours ago, Notabug said:

I thought it was strange that they went on and on about the importance of separate bedrooms, saying they'd promised the kids their own room; only to backslide.  I have never been to Lisbon, but was surprised that we didn't see more scenic areas.  It seemed like all the apartment were in rather blah neighborhoods.  Usually, at least one of the decoys is in the center of the action.

I agree, this must be a very short term stay and they are planning to return to the US pretty quickly. Otherwise, the room that the kids shared was rather large and had features that would've made it fairly easy to achieve some separation for the kids with bookcases, screens, curtains, etc but it didn't look like they'd done any of that.  If I was a 16 or 17 year old girl, I would've been pretty ticked off having to share a bedroom with my preteen/early teen brother.  There is also the young adult sister. If they're going to be there for the long haul, surely they would've wanted space for her to come for school breaks and vacations. 

I don't really understand why the husband's office couldn't have also been used as a bedroom.  Not ideal, but better than kids that age sharing a room, IMO.

At the end, I thought they showed the college daughter being there and surprising the mother. All I could think is where is she going to sleep? Was there a couch?

Mexico City to Paris. Adrian made an interesting comment- that you don't choose the apartment, the landlord chooses you. No one has ever expressed it like that. Francois should grow back the beard. The bathroom is next to the kitchen. At 360 ft, everything is next to the kitchen. At the second place when Luisa was saying it looked so empty, I thought just bring Jeff in and it will be full. They look happy with their choice.

• Like 4

That’s a long metro ride from the center, where house #3 was, out to house #2.

But the guy said there were things like cafes out there.

Certainly quieter than the center where when they open the windows, they hear the din of the crowd below and that noise goes well into the night.

That big dog in the “spacious” under 600 square feet apartment has to be tough.

Personal space may be missed sometimes.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, aghst said:

That’s a long metro ride from the center, where house #3 was, out to house #2.

But the guy said there were things like cafes out there.

Certainly quieter than the center where when they open the windows, they hear the din of the crowd below and that noise goes well into the night.

That big dog in the “spacious” under 600 square feet apartment has to be tough.

Personal space may be missed sometimes.

did they pick the house on the upper floor? i would imagine the downstairs neighbors would love hearing that big dog run around the floors

and the realtor lady thought suggesting you just not tell the landlord you're bringing in a dog?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
32 minutes ago, cinsays said:

did they pick the house on the upper floor? i would imagine the downstairs neighbors would love hearing that big dog run around the floors

and the realtor lady thought suggesting you just not tell the landlord you're bringing in a dog?

Adrian also said that in Paris the landlord can't refuse to rent to you because you have a dog either.    So, I guess mentioning the dog might have made the landlord pick someone else as a tenant, even though they couldn't say that the dog was the reason.    

• Like 10
(edited)
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Adrian also said that in Paris the landlord can't refuse to rent to you because you have a dog either.    So, I guess mentioning the dog might have made the landlord pick someone else as a tenant, even though they couldn't say that the dog was the reason.    

My impression was that Paris law doesn't permit landlords to refuse dogs, so Adrienne recommended not telling the landlord just how big the dog was before signing the lease since that might lead to the landlord looking for another excuse not to rent to them.  It sounds like apartments are really in demand, so landlords will get multiple applications  for a unit and pick which tenant they want.  Having a large dog would count against them.

The apartment they chose was nice, but going up and down 3 flights of stairs multiple times a day to walk the dog will get old quickly.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
  • Love 1