Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, aghst said:

Vancouver to Dublin, a couple with two young toddler boys.  Husband is trying to destress so he will watch the boys while the wife was able to transfer her work from Vancouver to Dublin.

Cam the stay at home husband wants to be in Dublin city center while Christine, wife wants to be further out to get more space and a garden for the boys to play in.

They also said that they want her parents, who are in Copenhagen, to visit Dublin and help watch the kids.

So they want 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, a garden and fit under $450k budget.

Home 1 is near the center, forget the exact price but it's close to their budget limit.  Has a tiny outdoor space, no grass, just some cement covered space with room for a tiny table.

Christine doesn't like the home because the rooms are small and the outdoor space is small.  Cams says they can make it work, loves the location.

House 2 is $400k, which they like.  It's in the city center, 3 bedroom 1 bath.  Cam says they can put in another bathroom with the money they have left.  Again, all spaces, especially the kitchen.  Cam is a large man and he'd barely fit through the arch-shaped doorway to the kitchen.  No outdoor space worth remarking and in addition, there's a wood stove that Christine is worried about for the kids.

Cam says they can remove the stove and they can "make it work."  Again loves the location.  At this point, Christine is glaring at him, like "what the hell are you talking about?"

House 3 is in the suburbs.  Again forget the price but well within budget.  But it's a 3 bedroom 2 bath and has the most outdoor space of the 3 properties.

It's got larger rooms than the other properties and it has a big living space, kitchen connected to living and dining space, going out to the garden.

Cam says he loves the layout but the first thing he says is that they're too far out.  He asks if it took an hour to get out there but the agent says more like 40 minutes.

Christine likes the place.  Cam admits he likes the home but too far from the city.  Maybe planning to hang out at the pubs while the wife works and the kids are left with the in-laws?

They eliminate house 2 and Christine gets Cam to come to his senses.  3 months after, Cam says the location is no big deal because they get out to the city often enough.

Christine talked about how she loved Vancouver but wanted to her kids to be closer to her parents.  But the real reason is probably so that Cam could quit work.  They sold a Vancouver apt. so they probably have money left over after the $450k money spent on the home.

In one of those scenes after a commercial break Christine says it was a challenge to bring Cam home to meet her parents.  She said something like he looked like a criminal, referring to the tats on his upper body.😄

I liked the two city places, but I'm just one person so they'd work fine for me.  The 3rd place was nice too, and a better fit for the family's requirements as a whole.  That little living room would've been a library for me.

It does annoy me, though, when people on this show act like it's impossible to raise children in a city or in a smaller house.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It does annoy me, though, when people on this show act like it's impossible to raise children in a city or in a smaller house.

The wife looked terrified to be going off to work while her husband was at home with the kids, especially after he mentioned that they could just run loose outside like he did when he was a kid!  He's a big guy, so I thought he'd want more space so that he'd be comfortable, but that didn't seem to bother him with 2 of those properties.  

As I've said many times about these people moving abroad, just pick the best property you can and then scope out the area for however long your lease is, then if it's not what you wanted, you can move.  Some of them act like they're going to be stuck in the one they pick forever!  

• Like 4

I’ve been thinking. We know the fix is in on the hunter shows. But if we can’t yak about the drama—or comedy—presented, there’s not much to talk about. Just the houses’ style? Not sustainable without the hunters.

(Heh, David shows his lottery winners kitchens they say are nice—on HH or HHI, they complain, ask how much to redo or rule them out, LOL)

• Like 4

The vocal fry on San Jose del Cabo realtor Ashley 3 name was insane. And giving them a couple nickname was embarrassing. No idea which they chose and don't care.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
9 minutes ago, BAForever said:

The vocal fry on San Jose del Cabo realtor Ashley 3 name was insane. And giving them a couple nickname was embarrassing. No idea which they chose and don't care.

That was a boring ep. Started reading on here and almost didn't catch which they picked. I think it was #2.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We have no idea how long these folks have been abroad. It could be their "pick" is something they've been living in for years.

Which is why I hate the stupid fake issues the producers always use.

12 hours ago, buttersister said:

’ve been thinking. We know the fix is in on the hunter shows. But if we can’t yak about the drama—or comedy—presented, there’s not much to talk about. Just the houses’ style? Not sustainable without the hunters.

I'd much rather discuss the houses' style or the locations themselves.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BAForever said:

I could not stand that realtor!  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I give the woman house hunter credit for not breaking the budget and going along with the hubby who wanted to minimize spending for what may be a short-term home.

They may love going down to Mexico but are they prepared to live there all the time?

Also, pretty interesting background, she was a cop and the only woman undercover cop.  So she wants to write a book about it.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Started reading on here and almost didn't catch which they picked. I think it was #2.

Yes, they chose house (condo) #2.  I liked the first property, but it was under construction, so I can understand the hesitancy about moving there.  I liked the architecture of the that one though. 

The one they chose was pretty nice, although it does need a little updating, but even if they choose not to remodel, it's still a nice, spacious place for them.

The 3rd option (house with a rooftop terrace) was really nice, but it seemed like too big of a space for them.  There was a big bedroom on the upstairs level that was accessed by going outside and up the stairs.  That might be an issue during bad weather.  They seemed to be happy with their choice and being close to town and the beach.  

• Like 4
(edited)

The excop and techie to Cabo was kind of sad to me to be honest.  They must have never had any children, and didn't seem to have any family or friends.  I never heard them say anything about, oh when our friends come down...the inlaws would love this.  I can only imagine because of her work, they didn't mention anyone else to protect them, but, the show isn't mandatory.  Added...not even a pet.  Just odd.

Edited by Pine
add on
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

I think they met relatively late in life.

Did they say they saw this move as a way to live together more or spend more time together?

Looks like she was mainly going to work on her book while he may still be working remotely.

• Like 3
On 3/14/2024 at 7:34 PM, BAForever said:

I had this recorded .. I'm 5 mins in and her stupid voice is the reason I'm here.  Omg I would have walked away within 5 mins of meeting her - she would never get a commission out of me.  She sounds like a stupid teenager.

I was in SJDC not long ago - to me its much nicer than CSL.  I recognized a store where I bought baby powder in the background 😆 

He said they'd only been married 10 yrs. They both look at least mid to late 40s, so I'm guessing they had decided no children by then anyway.

• Like 2

The realtor in the SJDC Mexico episode sounds like a parody of a character with vocal fry, up speak, and valley girl voice.  I couldn't be a client of hers just on her voice alone.  I wonder if she's a genuine realtor, or some tourist they picked up on the beach for this gig?  I really didn't care which place the couple chose, but he really emphasized their being together all the time when he described their life there.

• Like 1

If they give the first and last name of the "real estate agent", it's easy enough to find them. Sometimes on HHI they give first and last name of the hunters, so you usually can also find them.

• Like 1

Hamilton, New Zealand. Such a pretty country, wish it weren't so far away. I'll be lucky to get to Hawaii someday, never mind NZ. Daro can come clean my house, won't stress me at all. Loved their dogs. 2 guys and 2 dogs, so glad they didn't get the new box.

• Like 8
20 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Hamilton, New Zealand. Such a pretty country, wish it weren't so far away. I'll be lucky to get to Hawaii someday, never mind NZ. Daro can come clean my house, won't stress me at all. Loved their dogs. 2 guys and 2 dogs, so glad they didn't get the new box.

Daro's nitpicking of the kitchen cabinets in the second house was a bit silly.  I guess he didn't like that one too much at first sight, but it appears that they made a good choice.

I did not like the container home for them.  There was a house in their backyard, and my biggest complaint would be the bathroom being in the living room.  I prefer a bathroom to be out of the line of sight from the kitchen & living room.  I enjoyed seeing that area of New Zealand.  It was pretty.   

• Like 8

Ontario to Maastricht - a very young couple, unmarried but moving to the Netherlands for a masters program for her — she says she wants to be a doctor but instead of medical school she is going for a masters degree in neuropsychology.

He says she’s serious, has a career and life plan and she says as attractive as he is, he’s not the player she thought he was.

He grew up in a big city and wants to be near city center while she grew up in a farm and wants to be in a suburb near her school, which is 30 minute bike ride from the city center.

He wants a short commute to selling sneakers while she wants to walk to school and live somewhere where it’s quiet so she could study, say she will have to do a lot of studying.

They want two bedrooms because she repeatedly says their families will visit.  He cares most about location.  She also wants a large kitchen, wants modern while he wants traditional Dutch design.

To his credit he doesn’t say “character” though it’s very obvious when they make their choice, that they’re going by the standard HHI playbook of a couple wanting different locations, different esthetics (modern vs. traditional) and usual HHI tropes like room to host visiting family.

House 1 is in a residential area, close to her school.  At $1450, just over their $1400 budget.  They like the mix of modern and traditional design, how renovated and roomy.  He doesn’t like the location, too far to get to his sneaker job.

House 2 is just a 1 bedroom, near the city center, long commute to school for her, easy commute for him.  It’s roomy so maybe they can put a bed in the bathroom for when they have family from back home visiting.  Yes, in the bathroom, which is extra large because it was converted from a bedroom.  Only $1300 though.

House 3 is half way between city center and her university.  It’s 3 bedrooms 2 baths, more than what they asked her and way above budget at. $1600.  They like the house but the guy seem unconvinced about the location, again residential and closer to sneaker job than House 1 but still not close.

They eliminate House 3 as the rent is too much.  He gallantly offers to bike 30 minutes to his sneakers job so that she could be near her school.  But she says he sacrificed to come “across the world” with her so they will choose House 2.

They hug.  Not very affectionate, don’t seem to kiss during episode.  Only at end hold hands.  They both met in college and she talked about finishing up her college degree so she can proceed with masters program.  Presumably he finished college as well but he is taking a retail job right away instead of looking for potential career track opportunities?

Thats a pretty big sacrifice by him yet they don’t seem that into each other or maybe they’re not into PDA.

Their parents are probably financing this move because there’s no talk that they worked and saved money.  He admits his sneaker job doesn’t pay much.

Floor didn’t do anything notable like jump in the lake, she just noted that they’re very young.  She was more business-like, not her usual personality.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, aghst said:

Their parents are probably financing this move because there’s no talk that they worked and saved money.  He admits his sneaker job doesn’t pay much.

He did say something early on about being the one providing the financial support but I assume there's either money from the parents or she's getting a housing stipend as part of her program.

• Like 3

Loved the simple, clean lines of the houses they saw. Everything looked modern & uncluttered. So nice there. This couple seemed like brother & sister tho. 

• Like 3
On 3/22/2024 at 9:00 AM, aghst said:

They eliminate House 3 as the rent is too much.

I loved that house, but I understand that it was a bit pricey for them.  He didn't like the quiet neighborhood anyway.  :( 

I liked all 3 houses.  They looked nicer and more functional than some homes we've seen on this show!  I hope that the longer bike ride in the winter isn't a problem for her.  They didn't show any public transportation being available.

One thing I've noticed with most of the folks relocating to other countries is the ease of bike riding to and from the city center.  Finding a sidewalk where I'm at is a rarity!!  

• Like 2
On 3/22/2024 at 9:00 AM, aghst said:

Floor didn’t do anything notable like jump in the lake, she just noted that they’re very young.  She was more business-like, not her usual personality.

I like her bubbly personality!  Maybe she thought she should be more serious. Either way, I'm glad when she's the Realtor showing properties.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed this Netherlands episode.  No bickering or in-fighting by the couple.  Beautiful homes/apartment and scenery.  Overall, a nice episode.

Generally, in many Masters and Doctoral programs, there may be more independent researching/analysis/writing than actual in-class time, so she may only be attending her university a few days a week rather than everyday, so the more central location may make more sense for them.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

They didn't show any public transportation being available.

I wondered about that, too. Isn't there an alternative to cycling year-round? No buses? No trains?

California to Uvita, Costa Rica: I'm sick so I'm not in the best mood and have less patience than usual but I wanted to smack this woman five minutes into the episode. Moved her family including two young boys to Costa Rica [the jungle, she was very specific about that] based on vibes or dreams or what have you so she could start (START!) a holistic wellness/lifestyle business. Did I mention the business hadn't even started yet aside from Husband helping her with website content? They picked House #2 that was $200/month over budget despite them having no money and depending on savings to finance the move and rental budget, and the house they chose was up in the mountains twenty minutes away from the nearest pharmacy/shops/etc. (They timed the drive down). The road itself was janky and they'd get tired of that drive within the first few weeks, I'm sure. 

• Like 11

The Costa Rica wife was annoying as hell and the husband was stupid for going along with her holistic jungle life crap.

I felt sorry for those kids being isolated in the jungle, especially the older son who'd probably want playmates.  

• Like 6

Maybe the Costa Rica couple are back in the states, and that was just like a "gap year" for them from their life in California.  I haven't seen the episode, and might just erase it because it sounds like one that I wouldn't be interested in watching.

• Like 4
(edited)

California to Costa Rica. I hated the wife with the fire of a thousand nuns. (TWOP!) And no, I do not want to be in your presence to receive your energy (her words) because you are a complete twit. (“I honor the wish list, not the budget.”).

There was that moment when the husband wondered “what if we need a pharmacy?” but otherwise there was no consideration of their children and what it would mean to them to be so isolated.

Finally, both parents were riding in the car without seat belts. I guess they are fine with being dead or brain damaged for their children. Wear your fxxking seatbelt! Yes, even if you’re being filmed.

Edited by ArtFossil
  • Like 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The Costa Rica woman was a flake. I'm sure holistic medicine has a place, but what credentials did she have? Far as I could tell, none.

Sigh.

Yet another couple of airheads who haven't done their homework and want to start a business in a tropical country already completely saturated with holistic "healers", spas, "life counselors" and yoga gurus. 

The realtor knows it's a doomed project but smiles and goes along for what is probably a very familiar ride - renting homes to half-baked dreamers.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

The CA to Costa Rica lady had me waiting the entire episode for her to also add that she was a vegan.  She checked all the other boxes of a person I'd avoid.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

That hair ...

Appears they could afford well more than their budget than the husband let on and they were willing to pay for amenities.

Husband didn't really push for the cheapest option.

• Like 3

London to Eindhoven.  First of all the pronunciation of the city name is nothing like I imagined it.

Family of 5 moving for her promotion.  Husband will freelance.  They want 5 bedrooms, yard near city center where her office is for their $900k budget.  Also need parking.

Marianne the wife tells Floor it’s a permanent move.

House 1 is in the forest outside city center with 5 bedrooms, 4 baths.  Has plenty of outdoor space but Anish the husband finds the maintenance daunting.  They don’t like the small cut off kitchen and the layout of the bedrooms including one with en-suite bathroom but no doors.  They complain the rooms are dark because the tall trees block the light coming into the house.

House 2 is near city center, a neighborhood that they like more than the isolated first house.  But while there’s a yard and a large terrace upstairs, they can be seen by passerby’s on the busy road the house is on.  Plus no parking and just 1 bedroom.

House 3 is a villa near the airport but has 7 bedrooms and 2 baths, roomy inside and a big garden.  Parking also but the catch is plane noise, which Floor says they will get used to in weeks.

First two homes are $900k, on budget, and house 3 is $870k.

They eliminate House 1.  Anish wasn’t going to do all the yard work and the oldest kid was only 9.

They like some aspects of House 2 but lack of privacy and parking.

So they choose House 3, both say they love the move to the Netherlands, the more relaxed pace.

Marianne says they had central London on their doorstep.  If their home had several bedrooms, they probably sold the London home for a lot more than the $900k budget they set.  She talked about going out as a family to a cafe or bakery but looks like they don’t get that in their new home.

• Like 3

If the Costa Rica couple sold a place in California, that might be giving them the seed money. CR must be the healthiest country in the world with everyone going there to start wellness retreats. Not my vibe. Now excuse me while I go make spaghetti for dinner.

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
(edited)

The New Zealand bunch. I was surprised they took the beach place. I mean, their visitors can get a hotel or b&b place, but while he staked out a corner somewhere for work, she, with the nervous clients got bubkes. 

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 2

Auckland, New Zealand. Just wanted to say I appreciate Vish being so well dressed. Some of these realtors have been getting very casual in their appearance. Also liked Mika and Mila's green tops. Not sure I would have given up space to get that close to the beach. 

• Like 3

I don't think it mattered in the end what house they chose. Those two teenagers (high-school aged?) are going back to the States the minute the year their dad bargained them all into is over if not before.

• Like 2

I agree.  I would have chosen house #2, for the space, and that hot tub.  The husband has no where to work, the wife doesn't have what she need either, so I'm guessing there's a workspace rental close by, and that's why they wanted something where the kids can walk to school from the house.     

I bet the kids wil come back to the U.S. for college, and I don't like that the father or stepfather lied about coming back to the U.S..    He's never intending to leave New Zealand, so if the wife wants to come back to the U.S it will be alone, or to rejoin the kids when they leave.  I think that was why she kept talking about the company's investors being nervous about her moving out of the U.S.      I think he's fooling himself, if he thinks the kids are staying in New Zealand forever.    

• Like 6

Shocked they picked the beach. Agree kids are short timers there. I would have picker the beach too. Hope hubby said it kiddingly that he told them all a year, but really was planning forever.  If not, that's  crappy. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, aghst said:

They don’t like the small cut off kitchen and the layout of the bedrooms including one with en-suite bathroom but no doors.  

While I found them rather annoying overall, I have to agree about that bathroom.  Sorry, but bathrooms have sounds and smells I do not want in the bedroom.

13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Not sure I would have given up space to get that close to the beach. 

I absolutely would, especially if it's not forever.

• Like 2

I was so happy that the NZ lover got the beach.  I think that the kids and wife will love it too.

Costa Rica chick was crazy, and her earrings looked like plastic fishing lures, the squid like ones.  Yuck, haha.

London to Netherlands family chose the right home.  But, did we see all of the bedrooms? 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet the kids will come back to the U.S. for college, and I don't like that the father or stepfather lied about coming back to the U.S. He's never intending to leave New Zealand, so if the wife wants to come back to the U.S it will be alone, or to rejoin the kids when they leave. I think that was why she kept talking about the company's investors being nervous about her moving out of the U.S. I think he's fooling himself, if he thinks the kids are staying in New Zealand forever.    

The more I think about it the more absolutely annoyed I am by the father/stepfather and don't see how this won't end with resentment from every side. Especially by the kids. It didn't seem like they got any say in the move in the first place, the house chosen or the school they went to (the boy had a line about "their parents saying this was the best school or whatever"). Editing plays a part, of course, but editing can't put words in your mouth that you didn't say, and when the wife/kids watch this episode back they'll get to hear their husband/father saying that him getting beach access was more important to him than whether or not the house was within walking distance of the school. 

The kids don't have their school, their friends or their support system (how many times in a year will Wife's family come to visit?) and the amount of times the father/stepfather worried out loud that the family wouldn't like this move in the end it probably wasn't a joke. 

I don't see this ending in the picture-perfect experience of everybody loving New Zealand as much as he does that the father wanted so badly. The episode came across as them moving because HE wanted to move, the rest of the family be damned, and I agree that the wife will be following the kids back to the U.S. as soon as possible.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

RE: Costa Rica. I knew someone who wintered there to get away from winter weather (Mid-Atlantic region, so not severe, but the older I get the more I dislike cold weather.) They said the cost-of-living was lower than the US. I see that as an attraction. Not for me though. I sure as hell would not go there for some hippy dippy spa.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, BAForever said:

Shocked they picked the beach. Agree kids are short timers there. I would have picker the beach too. Hope hubby said it kiddingly that he told them all a year, but really was planning forever.  If not, that's  crappy. 

Beach kind of reinforces it as a vacation.

Especially if they have to make compromises to adapt to a smaller home.

Both parents are working remotely on CA time.

So it does seem like an adventure, not a serious move.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 1:35 PM, chessiegal said:

RE: Costa Rica. I knew someone who wintered there to get away from winter weather (Mid-Atlantic region, so not severe).

I have friends from Maine who bought a summer home in Costa Rica.  Not on the  beach. They were in the highlands, in the interior, on Lake Arenal. Gorgeous views of the water and the volcano. 

They are serious birders, and invited me to visit.  It was the trip of a lifetime! We went on a number of birding excursions to different locations. 

The roads are definitely a concern. We always left at dawn and had to be back before dark. I asked if crime was the issue (when I went on a birding tour in Guatemala, we had armed guards for protection on the tourist bus and the more remote trails!)

They told me it was the condition of the roads. We did encounter random road closures for repairs, got lost once trying to find a way around it. And I don't think they are lit at night.

They lived outside a small village in an area with a fair number of expats. Not particularly remote. But crime was an issue there.  They had a secure area where they locked up any valuables when they left the house (a previous guest had a laptop stolen ). I was looking forward to hearing the monkeys and birds at dawn, but they said we needed to close and lock the patio doors and windows at night.

My friends sold their house - after their next-door neighbor (a woman who lived alone) was tied up and robbed in a home invasion.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/29/2024 at 2:58 PM, LexieLily said:

The episode came across as them moving because HE wanted to move, the rest of the family be damned

And honestly, there's nothing wrong with that.  Many moves, both within a country and abroad, are because one adult in the family wants it.  Especially when it's a short-term move, which is what this one was presented as being.

Plus, this show is fake as hell, so the narrative given in the episode probably only bore a very limited resemblance to the truth anyway.  (I'll confess to being a bit biased because I absolutely would've insisted on the place right by the beach.)

• Like 1
On 3/29/2024 at 1:58 PM, LexieLily said:

The episode came across as them moving because HE wanted to move, the rest of the family be damned, and I agree that the wife will be following the kids back to the U.S. as soon as possible.

His wife & family didn't seem upset about the move.  Hopefully they will end up loving New Zealand as much as he does, and they all live happily ever after!! :) 

• Like 2

Tamarindo, Costa Rica.  A catamaran business, something other than a wellness retreat. 🙄 Sounds like they didn't research the cost of housing. Sarah will set them straight on what their money can get them. I think  they made the right choice.

• Like 2