Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Is that a new one or a repeat? I'm in the NYC area and I didn't get any new HH/HHI episodes tonight.

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

There were two HIH episodes last night.  I think the first was new but the Salzburg episode was a repeat. It was new to me, though!  I'm surprised there was no Sound of Music reference.  It's such a beautiful area.  But yes, the husband cracked me up with his "ten minutes on a bus" oh no!  I don't even think 20 minutes on a train is terrible depending on where you're dropped off and how often those train runs. 

According to my dvr, they were repeats.  And, I recognized the house hunters when changing the channel, FWIW.

BTW, it's not uncommon for HGTV to schedule reruns on major sports nights, i.e. last night's MLB World Series, Game 6.

Alaska to Aberdeen, Scotland

$750 budget. 

We want a place that's quiet for us to study. Also, if it's quiet, our dogs won't bark so much.

Well, how quiet would it be for your neighbors if your dogs bark at all?  Oh that's right. It's all about you and your needs.

Also, I don't like galley kitchens, they're too cramped. Stairs? [shudders]...This one's on the ground floor so anyone in the garden can look into our bedroom window....There's a lot of traffic on the streets....In addition to our two dogs (one with special needs), we need a space big enough so that our cat can coexist with the dogs (space so they don't have to cross paths much)....Fifty dollars over budget is $50 we can't spend on our pets....Is there a place nearby where we can get pet supplies? The bedroom is too small. We can't all fit in here....

She's probably a nice person, but she sure was smackworthy.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, mojito said:

$750 budget. 

We want a place that's quiet for us to study. Also, if it's quiet, our dogs won't bark so much.

Well, how quiet would it be for your neighbors if your dogs bark at all?  Oh that's right. It's all about you and your needs.

Also, I don't like galley kitchens, they're too cramped. Stairs? [shudders]...This one's on the ground floor so anyone in the garden can look into our bedroom window....There's a lot of traffic on the streets....In addition to our two dogs (one with special needs), we need a space big enough so that our cat can coexist with the dogs (space so they don't have to cross paths much)....Fifty dollars over budget is $50 we can't spend on our pets....Is there a place nearby where we can get pet supplies? The bedroom is too small. We can't all fit in here....

She's probably a nice person, but she sure was smackworthy.

Yeah, she was something else.  I also don't understand how a so-called animal lover would think it is such a good idea to bring an elderly, BLIND dog halfway 'round the world.  Maybe leaving the dog with family or friends or putting off grad school for a year or two until the pooch dies would be a better idea.  She was pretty laughable at her concerns about how her multiple pets might get along in a small apartment but seemingly unaware that those pets might not be all that popular with the neighbors.  I just hope she brought her pooper scooper along to use in the garden.

I kinda did like the husband's not so subtle suggestion that perhaps the pets could sleep elsewhere if the apartment bedroom was small.  I presume he spends a lot of nights curled up hanging off the edge while his wife and the dogs and cat take up 90% of the space.

I, too, was wondering why they persisted in saying she was going to have to WALK an hour each way to class.  I've been to Scotland, public transportation is readily available and reasonably priced.  Surely there is a bus that goes directly to the university she is attending.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13

$750 budget. 

And don't forget we want a yard for the dogs to run around in, but we don't want to do any yard maintenance. 

• Love 11

Just catching the men in Nicaragua- and for some reason I couldn't stop giggling at the agent's comment that "the sun comes up on this side every single morning".  I get where he's coming from, but just the way he said it makes me wonder if there are places where the sun comes up in different places?  Or only some mornings?  Or maybe I've had too much cold medicine and I'm getting punchy. 

• Love 5

Biloxi to Italy couple had to have the two most ridiculous ringer houses on this show. The first one was 30 minutes from the base which was too far as in when he is supposed to be no more than 15 minutes from the base and he third house was one of the most lived in houses they have shown on this show. 

• Love 1
On 10/28/2017 at 4:18 PM, Ohwell said:

Yeah, I didn't even want to talk about the wife because I was so excited to see Cork, but she was a pill--a bleached blonde one.  Her comments about the furniture in that house were rude, so I wasn't surprised that she slipped in that comment about always getting her way.

I thought the real estate agent was a cutie and I loved his accent.  

Yeah, couldn't stand it when she said she always gets her way.  And her coloring was really off- the hair didn't match with her face, eyebrows, etc.  It all just looked so wrong together.  

4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Biloxi to Italy couple had to have the two most ridiculous ringer houses on this show. The first one was 30 minutes from the base which was too far as in when he is supposed to be no more than 15 minutes from the base and he third house was one of the most lived in houses they have shown on this show. 

House #3- why were all the paintings in the house blurred out?  

That one was so obvious.  #1 and 3 were clearly not going to work for them.  One of my favorite (ha) things about this show is how people want authentic charm and want to wake up feeling like they're in the country they're in, but it must have an American kitchen and en suite, and huge closets.

• Love 4

I had to find the video for the Pennsylvania to the Hague.  How did they not think that stairway up to the apartment wasn't a huge detriment?  Just to get up and down, without carrying anything would be a struggle.  What if there were a fire?  I would've gone with the loft apartment.  Big damned deal if it's a loft and has no door for the bedroom.  If she goes to bed earlier, he can wear headphone and try to be quiet.

• Love 1

The Biloxi to Italy episode had some gorgeous scenery - both mountain and otherwise.  They don't talk about square footage very much on the HHI episodes, but the house they chose looked huge.  It was beautiful and I was amazed it cost only $1,500 a month.  They mentioned trying to fit their furniture into the first one, and since there wasn't much different in the before & after of the one they chose, I am assuming that all of that furniture was theirs.  The master bedroom set certainly looked like an American style with the sleigh bed.  I thought the wife was playing the "I want the total Italian experience" a little too hard, and the husband was a bit snarky and demanding about his mountain views.  Was anything ever said about how close they were to shops & a village?  

2 hours ago, laredhead said:

The Biloxi to Italy episode had some gorgeous scenery - both mountain and otherwise.  They don't talk about square footage very much on the HHI episodes, but the house they chose looked huge.  It was beautiful and I was amazed it cost only $1,500 a month.  They mentioned trying to fit their furniture into the first one, and since there wasn't much different in the before & after of the one they chose, I am assuming that all of that furniture was theirs.  The master bedroom set certainly looked like an American style with the sleigh bed.  I thought the wife was playing the "I want the total Italian experience" a little too hard, and the husband was a bit snarky and demanding about his mountain views.  Was anything ever said about how close they were to shops & a village?  

I had to roll my eyes at the "I don't know what I don't know" from the wife. ; )

First house was 30 minutes to  base where he worked and town  so an hour commute but I liked it. Made husband kind of dumb but it's their choice to be on and have an issueI guess. I loved the outdoor space with table etc.

Second was 8 minutes to base and 15 minute bike ride to town or 5 minute drive and beautiful. It seemed like their home when they walked in. Since they already have it usually, I guess that's not a huge leap.

Having a home 400 over budget was just silly so third was a throw in.

Nice views though I agree.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, debraran said:

Made husband kind of dumb but it's their choice to be

Many military people are required to live within a certain distance to base because they will be on notice for days when they aren't on base which seemed to be the case with the husband that it was too far and thus an obvious red herrings. Also, that village seemed tiny and didn't appear to have a lot of shops and cafes.

• Love 1

Oh, I know that, I meant the mountains. It's always something, space, mountains, city center, dryer, you know the script. I just thought he sounded "off" saying it, like it wasn't really his issue, but he wanted to be on the show. : )

19 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

I had to find the video for the Pennsylvania to the Hague.  How did they not think that stairway up to the apartment wasn't a huge detriment?  Just to get up and down, without carrying anything would be a struggle.  What if there were a fire?  I would've gone with the loft apartment.  Big damned deal if it's a loft and has no door for the bedroom.  If she goes to bed earlier, he can wear headphone and try to be quiet.

I agree, I liked that place, wasn't the loft bigger than they showed, seemed to be another side to it.  Those stairs on the first were not good and maybe codes don't exist there but how did they get any furniture up there originally? The outdoor space was nice though for the price.

Texas to Colchester England. I enjoyed it, love England but wondered how she could afford 440.000 on Professors salary but I guess they have savings also.  Why is everyone partying? I feel I'm a dud in that area, I'd never look at homes, especially in a foreign country where we were alone, and think, "How would this impress my guests?" I want to impress myself, lol

Considering her budget was probably higher, they did get a nice home with a nice yard. I wish they showed more of the area though.

16 minutes ago, debraran said:

Professors salary but I guess they have savings also

Didn't see this episode but I know lots of professors (my husband works at a university) and depending on their position they can be pulling in some pretty nice $$$.

9 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Didn't see this episode but I know lots of professors (my husband works at a university) and depending on their position they can be pulling in some pretty nice $$$.

I guess when tenured and have been around a while.  I know too many who are younger and the average is 114,000. But I checked a site that has average at top universities and that was well double that, especially in law (forgot what she did) English which my daughter would have loved, was the lowest. She decided to stop at Master and look for something else. You really have to be able to take a job anywhere and she wouldn't work in certain states so you have to know yourself well. There is a glut in some areas and maybe going abroad might be better, salary is lower in UK but she wasn't just out of school so probably had savings and she was buying not renting, so secure she would stay.

Debraran, regarding getting furniture up the steep stairs, on some previous Netherlands episodes they have pointed out a hook and pull mounted on the front of several houses.  Furniture is hoisted up from the outside and pulled in through a front window that is either large enough for the furniture to fit through , or it can be removed.  I don't know if that house had a system like that, but there is no way I would have lived there.  Those houses are for the young and mobile.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, judylo said:

The Pennsylvania to Hague episode: NOBODY noticed that when they saw that first apartment, the one they chose, they had to crawl up the stairs? It was steep, no railing. They never mentioned that aspect as the episode went on. WTF??? Granted, I am old and don't like stairs, BUT ... how the hell would they transport anything?--groceries? furniture? themselves?

It's part and parcel of that Dutch charm they wanted.  A lot of period buildings in certain parts of the Netherlands are narrow and tall, with steep staircases.  If you want a place in a period building, you learn to live with it.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, laredhead said:

Debraran, regarding getting furniture up the steep stairs, on some previous Netherlands episodes they have pointed out a hook and pull mounted on the front of several houses.  Furniture is hoisted up from the outside and pulled in through a front window that is either large enough for the furniture to fit through

They're pretty ubiquitous there.  Other issues with walk-ups remain, but getting one's furniture into the home is generally taken care of by the hook and pulley system.

• Love 3

Ive seen that in the states in big cities where the buildings were old and the furniture was large. Scary though to be below! I wondered when looking at an old Victorian home  that was having an estate sale, how did they get things up to the third floor. It had a cool triangle shaped stairs that curved around a wall and you could barely fit yourself, the angles made it impossible to carry bulky things up. It also a cool hidden door on the curved wall and someone said it was for household things because no one was carrying things up here. lol  I never though about the windows but today Ikea would probably be the way, nothing put together first.

This is similar but this stair I saw was more curved because going up to attic. I do love the old homes with the kitchen staircase though that goes upstairs along with the one in the entrance. As a kid I'd be sneaking down into the kitchen while parents watched TV. ; )

stair.jpg

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I’m confused - is the Nicaraguan couple buying or renting?   They are giving us monthly costs, but keep talking about renoing whatever the choose.

They were renting - I'm guessing renting there is different from US. Last time I rented you couldn't change paint colors without going back to original colors.

Canada to Nicaragua

Yeah, that was weird, talking about blowing holes in walls and adding a bathroom to a rental. I wonder how long they're able to stay in the country as tourists. I think the guy said he had a tourist visa, but I don't think visas are required for North Americans under a certain amount of days. I guess that's where the tourist visa comes in. 

I have never been adventurous enough to stay in the kind of place that they were renting out. 

They are giving us monthly costs, but keep talking about renoing whatever the choose.

This has been a point of confusion for quite some time.  One camp says that it's the monthly cost of a house payment.  The opposite camp thinks it's the amount of rent in which case reno makes no sense.  HHI has never defined it.

I’m confused - is the Nicaraguan couple buying or renting?   They are giving us monthly costs, but keep talking about renoing whatever the choose.

...and also talking about renting out some of the rooms, which many leases forbid.  Not sure about Nicaragua's rules relating to non-citizens purchasing property, but it would seem to me that a home purchase makes far more sense financially than renting in their situation.  They talked about their stock pile of cash, at least with a purchase, you build equity, especially in an up & coming tourism area.

Re: Jamaica episode.  I love that country but am forever disappointed in their real estate.  This was more of the same.  Her options were terrible IMHO.

8 hours ago, snarts said:

Re: Jamaica episode.  I love that country but am forever disappointed in their real estate.  This was more of the same.  Her options were terrible IMHO

But aren’t most of the homes on HHI pretty basic?  Much plainer and not as modern as most American homes  

I liked the relationship between the two Jamaican cousins  they really did seem like sisters.

• Love 3

Marais area of Paris, parents and two small boys

I liked that for once, someone's budget met their criteria for a home, and it wasn't an extravagant budget. The wife had lived in Paris before, so she knew the area well enough to know that their desired location was one they could afford. She also knew better than to request balconies and gardens and a room for each child. And they didn't have to accommodate a dog! The agent (Leeds, of course) felt that she had the perfect place for them, and the location might have had more promise, but I was with the couple on this one when they rejected that apartment.

It's not often that an agent will admit that the apartment was a "little" over budget, and that little was merely $50. 

Ever notice that people who have two boys declare that they have two "rambunctious" boys? I'm waiting for the couple who admits, "Well, we have a couple of low-energy boys, so we don't need much space." While I'm on the topic, play space back in the dark ages, generally meant enough floor space for building blocks or playing Milton Bradley board games. These days, parents seem to expect a place for kids to run around in. We used to call that place the back yard. But, I know, times are different. This family's request for space was very reasonable, I must admit.

I liked that the husband didn't demand a large area from which to work. Nice that he apparently has an arrangement with the owner of the cafe whose wifi he can use as he works in the shop. It's a pretty good guess that he doesn't do contract work for the government or a high-tech firm.

• Love 11

It's not often that an agent will admit that the apartment was a "little" over budget, and that little was merely $50. 

It was $150 over not $50.

The place they got made the most sense and had a fabulous location.

Sort of surprised the remodelled kitchen had such a small fridge because larger fridges, not necessarily American sized but larger than a dorm fridge, are becoming more standard because shopping habits are changing. 

• Love 1
On 5/5/2017 at 4:36 PM, BoozeBaron said:

am watching some 30 yr olds shopping now in Sheffield, UK - where he's "CEO" of some ice skating mfg 

Which episode was that? Most of the world's figure skating blades, from beginner to elite, are made in Sheffield.

Edited by vesperholly

I thought CA to Paris wife was too precious and not in a good way. She wore a fedora and made the two little boys wear matching ones. She said things like "this apartment oozes French charm" and "the energy of the Marais inspires me" without a wink of irony. But apparently the husband digs that so good for them.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, mojito said:

I liked that for once, someone's budget met their criteria for a home, and it wasn't an extravagant budget. The wife had lived in Paris before, so she knew the area well enough to know that their desired location was one they could afford. She also knew better than to request balconies and gardens and a room for each child. And they didn't have to accommodate a dog! The agent (Leeds, of course) felt that she had the perfect place for them, and the location might have had more promise, but I was with the couple on this one when they rejected that apartment.

Ever notice that people who have two boys declare that they have two "rambunctious" boys? I'm waiting for the couple who admits, "Well, we have a couple of low-energy boys, so we don't need much space." While I'm on the topic, play space back in the dark ages, generally meant enough floor space for building blocks or playing Milton Bradley board games. These days, parents seem to expect a place for kids to run around in. We used to call that place the back yard. But, I know, times are different. This family's request for space was very reasonable, I must admit.

I liked that the husband didn't demand a large area from which to work. Nice that he apparently has an arrangement with the owner of the cafe whose wifi he can use as he works in the shop. It's a pretty good guess that he doesn't do contract work for the government or a high-tech firm.

Paris is much cheaper than NYC or even Boston. I'll admit I sometimes hate watching people get these great locations around the world for cheap rent.  

i would have picked that big apartment easily.   it was beautiful, the kitchen was amazing   And the rent was cheap.  Living in the city, I bring my daughter to parks and walk everywhere so there isn't need for a yard.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, mojito said:

I looked the husband up and he his business is some kind of social media website.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Lemons said:

Paris is much cheaper than NYC or even Boston. I'll admit I sometimes hate watching people get these great locations around the world for cheap rent.  

i would have picked that big apartment easily.   it was beautiful, the kitchen was amazing   And the rent was cheap.  Living in the city, I bring my daughter to parks and walk everywhere so there isn't need for a yard.  

As someone who lives in Boston, I was surprised at the kind of apartment that the family was able to get for $2600, but I would argue that I could easily find a 3 bed for the same price in my neighborhood. 

Edited by cyberfruit
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, cyberfruit said:

As someone who lives in Boston, I was surprised at the kind of apartment that the family was able to get for $2600, but I would argue that I could easily find a 3 bed for the same price in my neighborhood. 

Not in comparable areas. Boston is small compared to Paris but I would compare their apartment in the  Marais section of Paris to the better sections of Boston. Beacon Hill, Newbury Street, the nice section of Back Bay. There are no 3 bedroom apartments in those areas for $2,600.

And forget about Manhattan. I would compare their neighborhood to the West Village where you might get a windowless room with a shared bathroom.  

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

I looked the husband up and he his business is some kind of social media website.

What type?  Doesn't sound like a high income job. 

21 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Not in comparable areas. Boston is small compared to Paris but I would compare their apartment in the  Marais section of Paris to the better sections of Boston. Beacon Hill, Newbury Street, the nice section of Back Bay. There are no 3 bedroom apartments in those areas for $2,600.

And forget about Manhattan. I would compare their neighborhood to the West Village where you might get a windowless room with a shared bathroom.  

What type?  Doesn't sound like a high income job. 

I see. I thought Le Marais was more hip than the neighborhoods you've compared them to, from how I've heard it being described. In my mind, I always thought the neighborhood was more like the South End.

34 minutes ago, cyberfruit said:

I see. I thought Le Marais was more hip than the neighborhoods you've compared them to, from how I've heard it being described. In my mind, I always thought the neighborhood was more like the South End.

I'm not sure if Boston will ever be considered "hip" no matter what section. I was thinking of Newbury street because of the high end shopping. Beacon Hill comparison because of the look of the streets, etc.

I didn't really think of the South End although the way the real estate agencies keep expanding what is considered the South End I gues you could find a cheaper apartment because you are really in Roxbury.  

Yikes. Really did not enjoy the passive-aggressive military couple moving from Finland  to Germany. Producer-inspired or not, the way they talked to each other was unpleasant to watch. And I felt sorry for the tween son when his mom announced that the layout of the house they picked meant the kid would be "running through the house naked."

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 3

Obnoxious Philly couple to South Africa:  I couldn't stop laughing at the stunned faces of the realtors reacting to all their tacky utterances.  Giant "Effing Millennials" thought bubbles.

"Paper or plastic?"  "Well since I sacrificed my career to come here..."

• Love 4

Philly to South Africa episode. Sometimes the spouse being forced to move says "they gave up everything" to move to the place and at times, it seems at times they are blowing things a bit out of proportion. In case anyone is wondering in this case, thought I'd share a little info on the wife. Didn't catch what he did for a living, but when she's saying she gave up her career, it was quite a budding career. Hope that SA job offer is an opportunity of a lifetime. FYI, Philadelphia Magazine (phillymag.com) does not do profiles on just anyone.

Philly Mag article

Technically Philly article

• Love 3