Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Last Day On Earth

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

No kidding.  Didn't Aaron once say they cleared out an area of 50-55 miles around Alexandria by scavenging and yet Eugene said Hilltop was 23 miles away.  Gotta love how Hilltop, the Wolves, the Saviors, and the new people Carol and Morgan met just magically appeared out of nowhere.  When the walkers left the quarry did that open a portal that allowed these other people to spill out from a parallel universe and populate the countryside near Alex?

This is the point I made several episodes back ... why didn't CDB happen upon existing dynamics between Alex, Hilltop, Wolves, and Saviors?  If they are obviously all part of the ecosystem, and well within the range of the area Aaron scouted (and him having picked up on CDB as soon as they entered the area, so excellent scout, no?), why did this all not come to a head while CDB was down at the prison?

• Love 4

I actually do get why Rick cowered to Negan. They were painfully outnumbered... his weapons were gone... no one at Alexandria knew where they were to come help them... and they know Negan's people kill indiscriminately. Rick, as an LEO, knows how to read people, and I figure he read Negan up and down and knew he was serious--shut up and only one dies. Speak up and you all die, and then we find your camp and kill all of them as well. He knew they were screwed.

• Love 11
(edited)

I totally get that.  I agree that of course a lot of fans were not going to enjoy the episode or the cliffhanger.  I really enjoyed it, and I think others enjoyed it as well, but I get the general "WTF!!??" 

Your reaction, I can understand.  To me, it's a more normal reaction to a television show.  It's some of the other, more "emotional" reactions that I can't get, although I do get mileage varies. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone.  But I do have a right to put that out there as much as someone has a right to say they hope Gimple gets fired because he left them feeling disrespected as a fan because of this or that.  And I stand by believing the majority of viewers are not reacting that way.  It's just that the angriest are the most vocal.

The main point of what I was trying to say in my initial post (and perhaps I didn't do it very well) is that I don't think a majority of fans are going to get that emotionally invested about their disappointment in the cliffhanger/season finale/show-- the genuine feelings of anger, betrayal, getting FU'd by the show, etc.  I don't connect with reactions and responses of genuine rage and disgust, even when I'm disappointed by the show.  And believe me, I've been disappointed a few times.  It's going to happen.  I even stopped watching here and there.  It's going to happen.  I mean, it happened to me watching The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.  Two, IMO, fantastic series that had it's slow moments, it's dumb moments, and it's WTF moments, but overall are still two of my all-time favorite shows.

I can't emphasize it enough-- I'm really not trying to be disrespectful.  I just want to put it out there that hey-- not all of us feel this way and while some of us didn't like the finale and/or cliffhanger, we also don't think the show shit on us as people. 

From the showrunners' perspective, I see what they did and why.  The finale was a HUGE topic in the media last night and still today, and will continue to be discussed and picked apart until the October opener.  DId they "mess" with viewers to achieve this?  Sure.  Many shows do, love it or hate it.  Will it pay off in October?  Many are insisting no, but I think they will be fine and that yes they will have the large numbers of viewers tuning back in, love it or hate it.  Will it pay off?  I don't know yet.  It's up to them to deliver on the promise of the story they say this will develop into.

Being such an overly involved fan I do wonder about other 'normal' fans reactions although it is interesting that is not only all the social media that has mainly been negative about this but also the critical reviews and the same words keep cropping up 'cop out', 'poor storytelling', 'trolling the audience', etc. I haven't spoken to anyone IRL about this episode so I'm not sure what the average fan thinks about the ending. I think you are right, they will still have big audience numbers for the season premiere and most people will continue to watch.

As to your comment about understanding the show runners' perspective in order to achieve maximum coverage after the finale while I am quite sure that was behind their thinking it just makes no sense. I'm 100% sure that there would have been the same level of reaction if they had shown who was Lucille'd. Hell, if Daryl had died the entire internet would have probably just shut down ;)  I think they top the Twitter mentions after most regular shows and certainly after the series finales they dominate the media. So it seemed unnecessary to provoke their strong fanbase to hope for a big media reaction when they were already guaranteed a big media reaction - just the lead up to the finale has been crazy all over the web with so much speculation on who we were going to lose.

Edited by Save Yourself
  • Love 3

Rick didn't speak up when they asked who the leader was either.  The dude with the annoying mustache pointed him out to Negan....

I hope that Enid isn't to mad at Carl when he gets back so she can cut his hair.  it is bordering on ridiculous.  Get that boy an eye patch and a hair cut stat.

• Love 1

Walkers are drawn to noise and light and there was plenty of that where they were held up at, plus there were walkers around since Dwight and them were able to tie some to the road. Which how were Dwight and Co. able to drag these walkers to the road still alive and tie them up at the same time without being bitten? They didn't do the Michonne trick of taking off arms and jaw. What are walkers waiting on? Have they now gained the ability to sit in wait and enjoy the entertainment before them. Were the walkers so mesmerized and hypnotized by Negan's pontificating?

I'm gonna talk about Negan for a second, he didn't have an intimidating presence whatsoever. Someone who forever pontificates loses all kind of credibility as a badass villain. We see why the Saviors talk too damn much they take after their leader. Negan came off as a cheesy 80s villain. Sitting there in the RV waiting to make his debut which was just lame.

The ending would have been way more satisfying if we did hear screams and yells from CDB. Not hearing anything from them just made it seem like they didn't care who got killed. IMO it would be best if they shown who was picked and then the camera POV of the blood and bat bashing against the skull as CDB screamed and yelled at the person being beaten to death. It probably would have gotten a better reaction rather than the backlash the finale is getting.

Out of the group only Carl, Michonne, and Abe shown that they weren't scared while Rick, Rosita, Sasha, & Aaron looked terrified and scared as all hell. Maggie just looked sick. Glenn didn't want Maggie hurt which I think was his only main concern so he tried putting on a brave and scared face while Daryl looked a little nonchalant. 

The walkers all died a second death listening to the pontificating. Finally we've found their kryptonite!

Negan actually told them they couldn't make any noise when he was bludgeoning X and if they did one of the lackeys would cut out Carl's eye and feed it to Rick. He said they could breath, blind and cry.

That stepping out of the RV was so vaudeville! He should have come out singing 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame'.

You're wrong. Daryl's hair was terrified.

• Love 2
(edited)

Another Note to Camp Ding Bats:  When the next villains who want to kill you, eat you, steal your stuff, etc., show up, and start speechifying all over the place (and they will do both), have someone nearby, but not with the group, on stand by to kill the idiots while they are yacking away.

I don't know how serious Carole's injuries are, but even if they manage to get the bullets removed, and they are only flesh wounds, she could still easily die of infection or gangrene even if they do get her antibiotics depending on how long it takes to get her medical attention.  If Maggie's appendix erupts, she would probably be a goner to even with medial attention.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 2
(edited)

What I find interesting is that the only ones Negan was able to break were Rick and Glen both of whom basically had a child kneeling before a psychopath. Part of the Negettyburgs Address (because it took 4 commercials and 7 minutes to deliver) to Carl was "lighten up kid; at least cry a little"

If I had to guess who got it the odds on favorite would be Abraham because Negan said "look at that; you are taking it like a champ" followed by several more blows which it would take to kill such an imposing figure as Abraham. Win place or show to Glen and show for Eugene.

I admit to laughing inappropriately when Negan was stating the rules said "I'm not planting a garden" Like Jerry Seinfeld said "it's all in the delivery" and that delivery was spot on

Edited by Boofish
  • Love 5

DisaPOINted! Iwas fuming that Carl locked Enid in the closet. So, if Alexandria is attacked, she's unable to fight? Great thinking, dummy. I found Negan's appearance completely underwhelming and his speechifying downright comical. He was like an Austin Powers villain: "I'm not going to actually kill someone; I'll just keep talking dramarically about how I'm GOING to kill someone." I'd have been willing to step up and murder someone myself just to make him shut up

I know. I did clearly say that Gareth deserved it and that Rick was justified in killing him. I was just commenting on the WAY he killed him.

Rick was definitely very vicious in that scene. But where did his viciousness come from? It came from getting retribution for Bob and the threats made against his entire group, down to his baby girl who was crying in the church. Whereas, the viciousness we see with Negan comes from a much different place. It's indiscriminate. It's manipulative. And he really seems to enjoy it. 

Agreed.  So sick of TPTB informing me that Negan is the Biggest Bad of all.  No one will ever be worse than Gareth, imo.  I loved the poster who said way back when that the group should only have one question now.  "Do you eat people?  Because the last group fucking ate people."  Negan is more powerful, but he doesn't fucking eat people.

Mmmhmm. No "baddie" on this show has scared me more than Gareth. Something about his calm, friendly manner....and then he takes a bite out of your leg. So disturbing. Plus, their story was more interesting. Granted, we haven't had any background on Negan. But he comes across as someone who was an asshole before the ZA and started amassing minions as soon as he could. This is his playground. The original Termites were good people. They were tortured and starved and raped and eventually went insane. It was creepy as hell, but I enjoyed exploring just what this world could do to a person. 

• Love 5

The walkers all died a second death listening to the pontificating. Finally we've found their kryptonite!

Negan actually told them they couldn't make any noise when he was bludgeoning X and if they did one of the lackeys would cut out Carl's eye and feed it to Rick. He said they could breath, blind and cry.

That stepping out of the RV was so vaudeville! He should have come out singing 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame'.

You're wrong. Daryl's hair was terrified.

Yea Negan said that but it would have made for a better terrifying ending to have some of them scream. We know Maggie can scream but probably couldn't because she's sick, possibly Rosita and Eugene would have screamed or yelled out as well. Michonne, Daryl, and Abe probably would have turned away and not look.

True about Daryl's hair lol.  Speaking of Daryl was he shot? He was bleeding and had a blanket around him. 

Carol and Daryl really picked the wrong time to go out and be selfish. 

• Love 1

I've seen a lot of people blaming the show's adherence to the comics for their problems with this season and I have to voice an unpopular opinion -- it ain't the comics' fault because the stuff that has most annoyed people this time is not in the comics:

In the comics,

1) They don't lead a walker parade out of a quarry

2) Glen doesn't trust an idiot to lead them home

3) Glen doesn't almost die for 6 issues while miraculously hiding under a dumpster

4) Morgan doesn't meet a cheesemaker and he isn't a pacifist

5) Nobody like Daryl gets ambushed three separate times by the same guy

6) Negan's resources aren't made to appear functionally infinite

7) When Negan kills someone, the victim is revealed in the same scene

You're breaking my heart, there's no cheesemaker in the GN?! ;) 

My 2 cents is that it's more that Kirkman has so much creative involvement in a medium that he is not experienced in and this seems to be one of the problems that previous show runners had. He's come up with a story that has resonated with so many people but what can work in a comic may not work on screen and vice versa. So I think we now have this situation of the TV creative folk wanting to add their original work (see the stellar examples you provided) and then they want to put comic scenes in as well and they often don't seem to marry. My understanding is that there is no legal requirement for AMC to involve him in the creative content of the show as he sold all the TV rights to them but they are worried about alienating his GN fanbase if they decided to know longer allow him to write or create storylines for the show.

• Love 2

Yeah, if the Saviors had been a smaller group but the first encounter had ended up with Daryl, Abe and Sasha dead, rather than the reverse, what would Rick have done to them after he finally caught up to them?  Shot them all to be safe would be my guess.  Also, if they hadn't struck a deal with Hilltop, Rick said to the others that they'd just take what they needed (similar to his attitude about ASZ).

Sure, Negan is the villain and Rick is the hero. Gimple and Kirkman saying that they're two sides of the same coin isn't undermining that. It's just that the gulf between hero and villain isn't quite so wide in the ZA.

I understand what parallel they are trying to make but it fails because every decision Rick has made has still not resulted in him becoming a mobster with a full system of extortion and murder.

Rick said they would take what was needed and what they needed was some food, seeds, meds to go back to their home and keep living their lives at ASZ.  Rick was generally trying to work out deals without violence. The only reason he killed the Saviors was to garner what they needed. If the Saviors hadn't ever attacked ASD, I think he might have been less inclined to kill them.

Rick is not trying to build an empire. He's looking to keep his people, his family, his small community alive in the ZA. Negan is building an empire. Negan's reasons are not survival solely, IMO. If it was, he wouldn't be running a mafia enterprise where you work for him, lose all your shit or die.

• Love 7
(edited)

Negan coming out of the RV reminded me of "The Bear..." coming out of the tunnel in Inglorious Bastards.

I wonder what changed? And I think I know what it is - the writers. It was their (cheap) way of making Negan bigger and badder. So, in other words, they betrayed Rick's character. And I can't forgive the writers doing that.

And that's only one of the problems I have with TBTB.

The writers betrayed several characters this season.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 5

I think I land where I do because what I took away from Hilltop more than anything is that they were thriving.  They were building more because babies were being born.  They had food.  Nice high walls.  Yes, they lost one teenager in a violent way (could just as easily have happened because of walkers, seeing as they have no weapons).  I thought the kidnapping and order to kill the leader (who was sleazy) came because Hilltop was trying to get out of the deal they made, not because Negan is an arbitrary psychopath.  Bottom line though, it seemed like a pretty decent place to live even under Negan's control.

So for me he's just...government (um, in a non-partisan way), before jails.  He's the strongest in the region, they pay him a tribute.  To me that's not good/bad, it just kind of is.  

Now, if there was stuff last week indicating that he's running a band of rapists I'll change my perspective (obviously), but I didn't pick up on that at all.   He seemed pretty willing last night to just kill, be it male or female victim.  Maybe next season they'll have a few more female Saviors, around for more than an episode, and there'll be more about that.

For me, the problem is that Hilltop is getting along in spite of Negan's group, not because of it. And with Negan around and growing his numbers, how long will it be before he takes everything that the Hilltop people have? Negan obviously wiped out the other group (the running guy who got hanged was the last of that group) because they weren't "following his rules" (whatever those were). Negan's modus operandi is not sustainable. He uses his people's energy to do things like build log fire blocks, walker blockades, and car road blocks (not to mention whistling) to intimidate people instead of doing something productive, like say making a farm and growing their own damn food, maybe? If they can build a wood roadblock that fast, why not make a wall around something and grow their own stuff? At least a garden, once built, could potentially be an ongoing thing and supplement the looting and scavenging. Eventually Negan will sap the area of resources, kill everyone else in the area for not "following his rules" (i.e. giving Negan enough stuff), and there won't be any resources or people left in the area. Then they'll have to move on and destroy another area and more groups of people just trying to survive, likely after culling their own group (since apparently Negan is comfortable with losing a few of his own people, too, to further his agenda according to his speech) before the move.

As for the implication of taking people - I got that from what Dwight was saying to either Darryl and Rosita last week or to Darryl and the group on the train tracks after he killed the doctor the week before*. I'm almost positive Dwight said that Darryl's group would be taking them inside the walls of Alexandria and that they would be letting Dwight's group (who are a band of Saviors) take whatever and whoever they wanted (and he said it pretty sleazily, if I'm remembering correctly). I don't think it's too far of a stretch that I can guess what they would want the "whoever" for. Fortunately, Eugene took a bite and helped to save the day to prevent that from happening.

So if Negan is not outright supporting that, he certainly isn't saying "no" to that kind of behavior under his watch. Either that, or he isn't as controlling of a leader as he needs to be if bands of his people are doing stuff like that on their own authority. Either way, in  my opinion, Negan and his group are just a bunch of thug parasites providing very little - if anything -  for what they are taking in return.

* I'm thinking now that that episode is probably where I got the implication from.

• Love 6

Wow - Negan and crew sure had a lot of time and energy to devote to being "dastardly."

No one will ever top The Governor, in character or David Morrissey's amazing performance. So please don't try so hard.

I was much more enthralled by Carol's story, even with Morgan in it!

• Love 2

I liked this as well. Michonne and Abe stared down Negan too, and were far braver than I would have been (likely catatonic in a fetal position, lying in a pool of vomit and excrement) but Carl was cold as ice, the embodiment of "don't ever let them see you sweat."

I agree there was some foreshadowing there. I think Carl's unwavering defiance impressed Negan. What better way to break Rick's will than to take his son and turn him against his father?

I guess I'm throwing my hat (pun intended) in with the small group who has the opinion that Rick's reaction to Negan wasn't in character. I didn't expect Rick to go James West on all the bad guys (ancient cultural reference). Yes it was a hopeless situation, but Negan said he was only going to kill one of them. Yes, I know that sounds bad. But that means 8-9 of them, including his son, are going to live.

Rick, being a cop, knows talking is a good way to (hopefully) defuse a situation. And we've seen him do that in many other settings. But not here, not with Negan. Was it because Negan told them to shut up? I'm sorry, with the stakes as high as they were, I can't see Rick NOT engaging Negan. Now if he had and got a bat to the stomach, okay fine. But he didn't even try. (I do think he said something but can't recall now. Obviously, it didn't impress me if he did.)

Also, he was practically whimpering. And he flinched when the bat came by. Look, I'm not saying I wouldn't have done that if I were in that position. But Rick is not me. Frankly, I was disappointed in him (or as directed to play that scene.)

When they first knelt down, I saw Maggie looking at Rick, like she was waiting for him to come with something. Someone above posted a photo of the group at the Terminus trough. That situation was grim perhaps grimmer because they were all going to be killed AND eaten, but if Negan wasn't lying, only one of them would die. Yet at Terminus, Rick had the balls to threaten the coffe-roaster (what's his name).

I wonder what changed? And I think I know what it is - the writers. It was their (cheap) way of making Negan bigger and badder. So, in other words, they betrayed Rick's character. And I can't forgive the writers doing that.

And that's only one of the problems I have with TBTB.

All the discussion about who was brave and the Rick-analysis is so interesting.   I tend to think 50-year old women with disarming grey hair aren't the only people who would do well to hone "subterfuge" as another weapon in the arsenal.

I might just be sadly deficient in pride, but "spit in his eye and die" seems like the wrong tack.  Remember how great it was when the door slammed shut on train car A and Rick growled, "They've fucked with the wrong people"?  To paraphrase a popular Oprah self-defense tip:  Make sure you get taken to the second location.  Proceed to regroup.

Maybe/probably Rick was in crisis, but I'd be happy if he were deftly demonstrating the wisdom of not antagonizing the dude with the bat.

Oh, crap, I just realized I'm speaking Enid.  Just Survive Somehow.

• Love 3

I didn't want to quote the whole thing, for space, but you made some good points. I'm not a comic reader, so I wouldn't have known all of that. But I still think there is a comic issue at play here. I think the showrunners used the character of Negan to really skate on a lot of stuff this season. They knew Negan was en epic character from the comics and people would be salivating over his arrival. They pretty much paced this entire season around introducing the Saviors in the 8th episode, and Negan himself in the 16th. It just feels really lazy and cheap. 

That is exactly my problem.  I know a lot of the bad plot stuff wasn't in the comics - but the shoehorning in of "epic comic moments!!" makes a bad situation worse.  Kirkman has been pissing himself to get to Negan on TV - so everything else got the bum's rush (as others have mentioned, Wolves buildup=zip, Terminus=zip, etc.) and filler crap just so we could get to the "Epic Negan Scene!". Doesn't work for me.

• Love 10

So I guess Carol is going to come to the rescue again, just like she did at Terminus.  They should just give her permanent outsider status and have her always live within a five mile radius of CDB, so whenever they get captured she can stroll in and save the day.

• Love 2

Rick has always thought of his family first and foremost and that includes all the group that went with him to ASZ.  They are his family.  Rick was afraid of going to ASZ but Michonne is the one who told him he needed this for Carl and Judith, he knew that they could not be living on the road but he needed that reassurance from her.  Everything that Rick has done has been to take care of his family, his entire family.

Negan on the other hand could care less about anyone, they killed all the people at the Library because they dared to try to get away from them.  And when you saw the Library, what exactly could they give Negan and his gang - books to read.  Negan and his gang are nothing but big bullies who prey on people.  Look at what Dwight said to Daryl, "we will go to your community and we will get anything and anyone we want", so basically they were saying that they would take food and weapons but also women for the gang.  Sure Negan may think that he is getting the best of Rick but that won't happen.  It may not happen today or tomorrow but one day Rick will exact his retributation againt Negan and the gang. 

• Love 5

I get that Negan is like the road runner - a very talented artist who should have spent his time painting cave murals to make money or using his engineering skills to land a corporate job. Instead he put all his energy into chasing that one coyote. It goes back to the old proverb "the lazy man works the hardest." Yes in the time it took to gather every asshole who survived the outbreak, catch walkers, build blockades, steal, pillage, plunge etc he could have just planted a nice tomato garden. But then the show would be called "boring" because everyone is so nice. I think I may know 2 people (including myself) that enjoyed the relative safety and tranquility of Season 2. I felt like they had earned that win just like they earned that prison. The only reason I would tune out for this story arc is if it becomes too brutal. I watch television to escape real life not to stare right in the face. 

• Love 5
(edited)

For me, the problem is that Hilltop is getting along in spite of Negan's group, not because of it. And with Negan around and growing his numbers, how long will it be before he takes everything that the Hilltop people have? Negan obviously wiped out the other group (the running guy who got hanged was the last of that group) because they weren't "following his rules" (whatever those were). Negan's modus operandi is not sustainable. He uses his people's energy to do things like build log fire blocks, walker blockades, and car road blocks (not to mention whistling) to intimidate people instead of doing something productive, like say making a farm and growing their own damn food, maybe? If they can build a wood roadblock that fast, why not make a wall around something and grow their own stuff? At least a garden, once built, could potentially be an ongoing thing and supplement the looting and scavenging. Eventually Negan will sap the area of resources, kill everyone else in the area for not "following his rules" (i.e. giving Negan enough stuff), and there won't be any resources or people left in the area. Then they'll have to move on and destroy another area and more groups of people just trying to survive, likely after culling their own group (since apparently Negan is comfortable with losing a few of his own people, too, to further his agenda according to his speech) before the move.

As for the implication of taking people - I got that from what Dwight was saying to either Darryl and Rosita last week or to Darryl and the group on the train tracks after he killed the doctor the week before*. I'm almost positive Dwight said that Darryl's group would be taking them inside the walls of Alexandria and that they would be letting Dwight's group (who are a band of Saviors) take whatever and whoever they wanted (and he said it pretty sleazily, if I'm remembering correctly). I don't think it's too far of a stretch that I can guess what they would want the "whoever" for. Fortunately, Eugene took a bite and helped to save the day to prevent that from happening.

Exactly. Negan is basically a violent warlord enslaving other people, living off their labor, and killing them when they do not comply.There is no way that these communities can strive with Negan stealing from them. How can the Alexandrians and Hilltop people bring in new people or have children when Negan is taking food out of their mouths. There will never be enough for Negan as he increases the number of people in his group. The only people who can abide that kind of "government" are the ones sharing in the bounty and living off these people as well. 

As for Dwight, you are right he did tell Daryl and Rosita that they were going to take them into Alexandria. This confrontation with Negan was coming no matter what.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

All they had to do to make it great was to do their first person POV, then jump from the silent black screen jarringly to a shot of Maggie screaming in horror (if Glenn was killed), then pull the camera back to show Glenn's bashed-in head.  Then credits.  There's your Big Moment.

It's been said that Negan is going to be driving the action for "several" seasons, so get used to TWD being a Negan-centric show.

I couldn't bare it if they did endless seasons of the New Big Bad.

Agreed.  So sick of TPTB informing me that Negan is the Biggest Bad of all.  No one will ever be worse than Gareth, imo.  I loved the poster who said way back when that the group should only have one question now.  "Do you eat people?  Because the last group fucking ate people."  Negan is more powerful, but he doesn't fucking eat people.

I loved that comment, wish I could remember who said it. If they had immediately said that to everyone as soon as they got to ASZ you gotta think that would have got across to the protected ones pretty damn quickly how completely fucked up things are on the outside.

I'm right there with you on Terminus, though.  I keep mourning the waste of perfectly good cannibals.  After that endless buildup, we could have spent some interesting time with those folks, making friends of whom we grew ever more suspicious, instead of the whole thing going to shit at the how-d'you-do stage.  Wolves, pfft, creepy warnings and mutilations-->zip.

I'm still mourning the Terminus arc as well, now that was a fascinating subject to explore, I actually would have even been happy with a flashback episode with the Termites just to see how the decision to eat their captors then led to deciding to lure innocents to become dinner. In an extreme situation I can understand cannibalism e.g. in the Andes soccer team crash when they ended up eating some of the deceased but I can't wrap my head around people actually killing one another to eat them. How did that conversation go? How long did it take for people to agree to it and become ok with it? By the time we saw them they were a well oiled machine but in the beginning people must have been sick about the whole thing, especially when they started butchering survivors who they were inviting in by offering safety. It would have been so interesting to have spent 2-3 episodes in Terminus and have our guys slowly figure out what they were actually BBQing. 

Mmmhmm. No "baddie" on this show has scared me more than Gareth. Something about his calm, friendly manner....and then he takes a bite out of your leg. So disturbing. Plus, their story was more interesting. Granted, we haven't had any background on Negan. But he comes across as someone who was an asshole before the ZA and started amassing minions as soon as he could. This is his playground. The original Termites were good people. They were tortured and starved and raped and eventually went insane. It was creepy as hell, but I enjoyed exploring just what this world could do to a person. 

Yep, Gareth was terrifying. He was just this seemingly normal guy running his business, nothing cartoonish about him, he made up good nicknames for our crew, he was very pragmatic about it all, it wasn't anything personal just survival for he and his people. The area I live in is so hip hip hip ;) so therefore is filled with hipsters, I now look at them very warily!

• Love 7

I mentioned Tron in this thread, but someone else came up with it in live chat last night and it clicked to me that that's what I was trying to put my finger on! That's what they reminded me of, too. (I totally wasn't trying to take credit!)

[Raises hand] :-)

I said guys in medieval knight/ Tron suits, but I think "Tron knights" or "Knights of Tron" work well. They're something to look forward to next season. Just from their scene with Morgan, they seem non-psychotic and resourceful.

• Love 7

I should probably be more intimidated by the Tributes from District 12, but all that whistling just sounds damn silly. Negan being announced by church organ was also hilarious.

I hope we get to vote on the bat-ee like it's The Voice. I vote Abraham. Please, just get this ridiculous cartoon off my screen.

• Love 3

I get that Negan is like the road runner - a very talented artist who should have spent his time painting cave murals to make money or using his engineering skills to land a corporate job. Instead he put all his energy into chasing that one coyote. It goes back to the old proverb "the lazy man works the hardest." Yes in the time it took to gather every asshole who survived the outbreak, catch walkers, build blockades, steal, pillage, plunge etc he could have just planted a nice tomato garden. But then the show would be called "boring" because everyone is so nice. I think I may know 2 people (including myself) that enjoyed the relative safety and tranquility of Season 2. I felt like they had earned that win just like they earned that prison. The only reason I would tune out for this story arc is if it becomes too brutal. I watch television to escape real life not to stare right in the face. 

You now know 3 :)  And I liked Farmer Rick.

• Love 5

Another Note to Camp Ding Bats: When the next villains who want to kill you, eat you, steal your stuff, etc., show up, and start speechifying all over the place (and they will do both), have someone nearby, but not with the group, on stand by to kill the idiots while they are yacking away.

I don't know how serious Carole's injuries are, but even if they manage to get the bullets removed, and they are only flesh wounds, she could still easily die of infection or gangrene even if they do get her antibiotics depending on how long it takes to get her medical attention. If Maggie's appendix erupts, she would probably be a goner to even with medial attention.

At this point, Carol has survived a fallin a van off an overpass, and being hit by a car. She's becoming Evel Knevel.

• Love 6
So I guess Carol is going to come to the rescue again, just like she did at Terminus.  They should just give her permanent outsider status and have her always live within a five mile radius of CDB, so whenever they get captured she can stroll in and save the day.

I really don't see that happening this time. There is no immediate rescuing when you've got a group of dozens up dozens of people. They're going to have to go along with Negan's job offer, regroup back at ASZ, and figure something out. 

Carol has been shot 3 times, and has now been taken to get help by the Tron Knights. I'm guessing she and Morgan will have a different storyline for awhile. 

• Love 5

I'm not a "comic" reader but all but at our house we thought at the opening for every scene was "wait for it, wait for it" and just what we thought would happen pretty much did. The cliffhanger every season is getting tedious, those who enjoy the show will always be back. As far as the ending it was just a repeat of the last episode, blood on the camera.

I really don't care who's at the bottom of their ninth as I feel the writers are phoning in their scripts and many of the characters are doing things out of character.

• Love 2
(edited)

The reference to Terminus is interesting. That was another group that was exceedingly well-organized, well-manned, and armed to the teeth, and they also subdued Team Rick. They would have slaughtered everyone on Team Rick if Carol hadn't saved them.

Carol has been shot 3 times, and has now been taken to get help by the Tron Knights. I'm guessing she and Morgan will have a different storyline for awhile.

Aside from Carol's current state of mind and current injuries preventing her from being of much use to Team Rick, at Terminus Carol had the benefit of the element of surprise and a walker herd. Also, the Termites were penned in in one central location, so once she breached the wall, she turned Terminus into a death trap and they were done for. The Saviours seem to be a lot more mobile than the Termites, with numerous different outposts; she couldn't take them all out at once.

Carol seems to have a more sophisticated grasp of tactics than Rick, so I'd love to see her bring her skills in that department to bear on the problem of the Saviours. However, it seems that her storyline's taking her in a different direction towards a group that doesn't appear to be made up of hostile, violent assholes, so Team Rick is going to have to dig themselves out on their own. Besides, it seems like Carol's been fighting pretty much nonstop this season (with the Wolves, with Morgan, with her captors, with the Saviours on the road, etc.); if anyone needs a break, it's her.

So I guess Carol is going to come to the rescue again, just like she did at Terminus.

Carol's days of coming to the rescue are over, I think. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 8

Yea Negan said that but it would have made for a better terrifying ending to have some of them scream. We know Maggie can scream but probably couldn't because she's sick, possibly Rosita and Eugene would have screamed or yelled out as well. Michonne, Daryl, and Abe probably would have turned away and not look.

True about Daryl's hair lol.  Speaking of Daryl was he shot? He was bleeding and had a blanket around him. 

Carol and Daryl really picked the wrong time to go out and be selfish. 

Yes he was shot at the end of the last ep, it wasn't a fake out surprisingly! Don't worry, he'll walk it off :)

I actually found it really creepy just hearing the horrible sound of the bat smacking into bone and flesh and strangled voices in the background instead of the screams you would expect because I imagined them all kneeling there, forbidden to make a sound while this grotesque act was carried out. It reminds me of the nightmares I have when something scary happens and I try to scream in the dream but no sound comes out.

• Love 3

Rick was definitely very vicious in that scene. But where did his viciousness come from? It came from getting retribution for Bob and the threats made against his entire group, down to his baby girl who was crying in the church. Whereas, the viciousness we see with Negan comes from a much different place. It's indiscriminate. It's manipulative. And he really seems to enjoy it. 

I agree Gareth is the best villain out of all the villains in TWD. He wasn't over the top, Andrew West gave the character just the right balance. He's a villain that anyone would worry about because he has a welcoming presence but so evil underneath but we seen why Gareth turned out the way he did because he was trapped in the box and knowing the women were being raped by the men who owned Terminus before and had no food so turned to being cannibals. The group would have been fooled if Rick didn't spot the watch he gave to Sam.

The Governor wasn't insane enough he was just hokey. Negan is starting off like a cartoon character villain. 

• Love 4

What really killed me last night was the scene with the chain of walkers and when they find that one of them has Michonne's leather vest and a few locks of her hair. He rips the locks off the walker and then chops off her hand. Once inside the RV, you can see him desolving into panic at not knowing what has happened to the women he has given his heart to. He does not know if she is dead and that fact is killing him. And then everything is going to hell. Once at the camp or whatever that place was you know he had to be thinking how in the hell are we getting out of this. He knows whatever is going to happen will not be pretty. Then when that truck opens up and they bring out Michonne, Daryl, Glenn and Rosita, he looks at Michonne for one instant. Can you imagine how he felt not being able to go to her. Both of them know in that instant that they have no idea how they are going to get out of this mess. Him and the entire group has always managed to get out of any mess they were in.

Rick was a broken man and it was so difficult to watch that but I have to give Andy Lincoln lots of credit, he really brought Rick's anguish to the forefront.

Goodbye to Michonne's leather vest, the one she has worn since we first met her. Was it Aaron who said, "that is Michonne's vest" Hello to how beautiful Michonne was last night even if she was only on my TV for a couple of minutes. Now I know why Rick is so in love with her.

Since Rick and Michonne are already King and Queen of the ZA, I guess being President is also fine.

Yes, I thought Michonne looked beautiful when she was pulled out of that van. I want to see the scene again, but I noticed Rick only looked at her for a second when she came out and I thought that was to protect her. I think someone already suggested this here, but I had a feeling Rick was trying not to bring attention to the fact that his son and girlfriend were in the line up. Rick and Glenn were just destroyed in that scene.

• Love 7

I agree Gareth is the best villain out of all the villains in TWD. He wasn't over the top, Andrew West gave the character just the right balance. He's a villain that anyone would worry about because he has a welcoming presence but so evil underneath but we seen why Gareth turned out the way he did because he was trapped in the box and knowing the women were being raped by the men who owned Terminus before and had no food so turned to being cannibals. The group would have been fooled if Rick didn't spot the watch he gave to Sam.

The Governor wasn't insane enough he was just hokey. Negan is starting off like a cartoon character villain. 

I wish we'd found out if Maggie, Glenn, Abe, etc actually ate the BBQ, surely there must have been a discussion about long pork at some stage?

Good point She has become CDB's sin eater. She does the thing that the others can't or won't.

I should probably be more intimidated by the Tributes from District 12, but all that whistling just sounds damn silly. Negan being announced by church organ was also hilarious.

I hope we get to vote on the bat-ee like it's The Voice. I vote Abraham. Please, just get this ridiculous cartoon off my screen.

Agree with the first part. But as for who gets voted of the island I vote glen, hopefully third time is the charm. After the miraculous dumpster save he became fodder for me and I immediately stopped caring about his character.

• Love 2

Yes, I thought Michonne looked beautiful when she was pulled out of that van. I want to see the scene again, but I noticed Rick only looked at her for a second when she came out and I thought that was to protect her. I think someone already suggested this here, but I had a feeling Rick was trying not to bring attention to the fact that his son and girlfriend were in the line up. Rick and Glenn were just destroyed in that scene.

That was my thought also that he did not want to bring any attention to their relationship, he was protecting her.  Negan only guessed that Carl was Rick's son.  Another thing I noticed and why I love Michonne so much, when Negan was deciding who would meet Lucille, Rosita, Maggie and Sasha were crying but Michonne was all defiant.

• Love 4
(edited)
It did occur to me that he may offer to sacrifice himself for the others but again, Carl, he would never abandon Carl while he still has a chance, even a tiny one, to ensure that Carl survives.

Look, I'm supposed to be working but I had to throw this in because I've been in deep thought about it.  First of all I always love when AL shows Rick crumbling under pressure.  His breakdown over Lori left me in stunned silence, becuase I've never seen a man on tv or movies cry like that.  And it was AWESOME.  Well now we have this scene and I've loved the point by point explanations of it.  I want to add a little something though.

I think Rick really was breaking but I also think that it was strategic breaking.  Negan wanted to punish HIM.  He didn't care about the others - they are just new slaves.  But he was going to make Rick pay for his actions.  It was the first thing he said.  I think if Rick stared him down like Carl, Michonne and Abe he would have killed every last one of them.  He dared Rick to defy him.  Just like Joe and the Claimers, Rick was told that his punishment would be to watch the people he loves killed in front of him FIRST.  Negan wanted a show of bravado.  Rick instead showed him his belly.  Why do I think that was calculation?  Because in the moment of your death, when you are actually with the people closest to your heart, you look at them.  You die with their image in you retinas.  That's instinct.  That is natural.  But notice Rick looked at the ground, he never once looked at Michonne, never once at Carl.  He didn't want Negan to know which death would hurt him the most.  That was strategy - to make Negan pick rather than showing him who to choose.  To the bitter end Rick protected who he could the only way he could.

Which leads me to who I think Negan chose.  I think he chose Glenn.  The reason is because Negan is a calculating sadist.  He knows that Carl's death would hurt Rick the most but there is wisdom in keeping Carl alive.  For starters, if he killed the child, NONE of the adults would ever comply and he would lose the whole crop.  And knowing that he is going to keep Rick breathing in order to torture him, he knows that he will be most tortured by the POSSIBILITY of harm to Carl.  If Carl died, Rick would most likely simply be suicidal and utterly useless and impervious to threats.  So knowing that, my guess is that Negan went for the most impact.  He needed to SEE somebody devastated by the death of a loved one - not just a friend.  Glenn's outburst showed him that Maggie was his woman and most likely this love is reciprocal.  He was with three separate couples but he did not know that because our awesome CDB played the poker game to the last card.  So my guess is that he wanted to hear somebody really scream and really cry and the best bet would be Maggie for Glenn.  Not a spoiler, just my guess.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 13
(edited)

Now? It's too late. You can't come back to it, and all the emotional heft it should have had will be gone by October for the sake of a cheap cliffhanger.

That's the exact term I had in mind when watching it. Not anger, just neutral disappointment that all that fantastic build was utterly wasted.

I find it somewhat interesting that EVERYONE in the Saviors seems to be a psychopathic killer with sadistic tendencies.  How did such a group of TEH EVUL people get drawn to Negan?  Did he put up posters along the highway advertising Wanted: "rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists."?

Ha! But seriously, I have no doubt that a frighteningly large portion of the population would go sociopath at the first opportunity. A few weeks ago I was at a 4-way stop, and a Jeep and I arrived at what seemed to be the same time. I waved to the driver to let him go first, and then we played the car equivalent of a stumbling "after you" "no, after you". Finally he went, and as he drove past, this guy was screaming something at me (all windows rolled up, so I don't know the content). His face was red, squinched up, and he was FURIOUS. Because I let him go first. No joke, the first thing I thought was how quickly this "civilized" world would devolve in an apocalypse. I think TWD has it just right with the bands of raging psychopaths.

Edited by Dewey Decimate
  • Love 9

At this point, Carol has survived a fallin a van off an overpass, and being hit by a car. She's becoming Evel Knevel.

I know what you're saying, but she was shot twice in the same arm, and it was her shooting arm. I'm actually more worried for her than the others. And, yes, I know this is TV. I twist my knee and can't walk for a week. On TV you can get shot, have every bone broken, get bitten by a rabid dog, yet be back to work in a day or two. But, man, that second shot really looked like it hurt.

• Love 3

So much yes to your whole post.  They've been screwed before.  Rick watched the Governor lop off Hershel's head right in front of him.  He's been tied in front of a trough while people had their throats slit 3 feet away from him. Beth got her brains blown out within arm's reach.  He's been kidnapped, outnumbered, outgunned, beat almost to death, and literally brought to his knees before this.  They're hopeless, helpless, and stuck at the moment, and they're going to lose someone, but cowering like a dog is not something that's in him, or at least this particular scenario wasn't enough in my mind to produce that. 

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that he wanted to present himself that way in order not to draw harm upon Carl.  I will at least make that my head canon, and that his kernel of psycho is still burning bright to kill the hell out of everyone twice for this.

• Love 4

Can someone please tell me how the Saviors knew CDB would be making a trip this day? I'm only asking because it seems like some contrived BS that they were waiting around for an RV loaded up with main cast members at four different roadblocks, one of which would have taken a week to prepare.

Also, that dbag with the mustache needs to get got ASAP. Between him and that motorcycle guy Daryl blew up it seems like Negan puts his most annoying homies on First Contact duty. Probably just to keep them from bugging him.

• Love 7

Hey, Carl, you little bitch nut - way to act towards the only girl in your age group, making decisions for her.  So you get to go on the road trip to help Maggie, but if Enid wants to, it's too dangerous?  F that.  You don't get to decide what she can and can't do.  Remember all those times your mom told you to stay in the house?  Did you?  So yeah, you don't get to tell Enid to stay in the house either.  I'm sure we're all supposed to think it's so romantic, you wanting to protect her, like a scene out of "Twilight".  Guess what?  I didn't like Twilight either.  That's not love.  That's behavior that leads to abuse.  Next you'll be telling her what she can and can't wear, and how to style her hair.  And who she can talk to.  I hope she never talks to you again once you get back.  If she's even alive.  Did you ever think that since you're the only one who knows she's locked in the closet, that if something happens to you, she's dead?  Or if you take more than 3 days to get back to ASZ, she's dead?  Great job.

Speaking of great jobs, how wonderful TPTB are to take their BEST character - the one who gets the praise of the ciritcs, and wins your show awards - and cut her off at the knees.  She's regressed to Season 1 behavior.  Such a great model for all the women in abusive relationships - you can get out of it, but you can never get away.  You'll always be depressed and suicidal.  Have a great day! /sarcasm  I'm not even going to go into how I'll feel if they end up having Morgan and Carol fall in love.

I lied.  Yes, I'll go there.  I'd have to bust a cap in someone, for reals.  I'm sure LJ is a lovely person in real life, but Morgan sucks.  Even after shooting 1 guy in order to save Carol, he still sucks.  He needs to grow the hell up and fast, and stop acting like a wussy.  And I know some people think he's handsome, but he's not.  He's got knocked knees and splayed feet.  People here go on and on about AL's sexy bowlegged walk - I haven't seen anyone mention Morgan's sexy walk.  Cause he ain't got one.  He walks like a dork.  So yeah, Carol deserves better than that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think Rick really was breaking but I also think that it was strategic breakng.  Negan wanted to punish HIM.  He didn't care about the others - they are just new slaves.  But he was going to make Rick pay for his actions.  It was the first thing he said.  I think if Rick stared him down like Carl, Michonne and Abe he would have killed every last one of them.  He dared Rick to defy him.  Just like Joe and the Claimers, Rick was told that his punishment would be to watch the people he loves killed in front of him FIRST.  Negan wanted a show of bravado.  Rick instead showed him his belly.  Why do I think that was calculation?  Because in the moment of your death, when you are actually with the people closest to your heart, you look at them.  You die with their image in you retinas.  That's instinct.  That is natural.  But notice Rick looked at the ground, he never once looked at Michonne, never once at Carl.  He didn't want Negan to know which death would hurt him the most.  That was strategy - to make Negan pick rathe than showing him who to choose.  To the bitter end Rick protected who he could the only way he could.

We were typing at the same time.  lol.  This is very well put. 

I think Negan rightly guessed Carl was Rick's son, because Rick's reputation has preceded him, and this cold, badass kid would HAVE to be his son.  And I hope Carl Grimes is the last thing Negan ever lays eyes on when he takes his last, gasping breath.

• Love 12

Remember all those times your mom told you to stay in the house?  Did you? 

That's why he locked her in a closet.  lol  Carl doesn't have a lot of social experience.  I think he and Enid can work past this. 

• Love 2

I also thought Rick openly looked defeated, scared, horrified - while the others looked strong.  But maybe that was the point.  To show Negan that the Saviors had won and CDB was going to be subservient and comply with Negan's arrangement.  Not necessarily to save his own hide, but to keep Negan from killing several or all of them.

I find it somewhat interesting that EVERYONE in the Saviors seems to be a psychopathic killer with sadistic tendencies.  How did such a group of TEH EVUL people get drawn to Negan?  Did he put up posters along the highway advertising Wanted: "rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists."?

I love you for posting that quote. Heh.

As for the Saviours being a bunch of psychopathic sadists, part of it might have to do with Negan inspiring a cult of personality, especially among the dudes. They aren't so much being themselves as emulating Negan, and their Negan-like brand of genial psychopathy could be a performance for the other Saviours around.

I think it's telling that when the Saviours interact one on one with Team Rick, they seem much less like members of the Dickhead Borg. Chelle spoke quietly about her dad, for one. The Saviour who tracked Carol is another example. He seems like just another psychopathic sadist when he's killing Carol slowly, but he's angry and vengeful; he was genuinely upset that his friends were killed.

Someone on TD or Austin Amelio (Dwight) said about Dwight that the reason for his transformation from not-terrible guy to irredeemable psycho was a product of a desire to survive among the Saviours. He had to get with the program or die. If you need to be a Negan clone to survive within the group, I'm guessing you're going to bully and moustache-twirl with the best of them. 

• Love 4

I'm still mourning the Terminus arc as well, now that was a fascinating subject to explore, I actually would have even been happy with a flashback episode with the Termites just to see how the decision to eat their captors then led to deciding to lure innocents to become dinner. In an extreme situation I can understand cannibalism e.g. in the Andes soccer team crash when they ended up eating some of the deceased but I can't wrap my head around people actually killing one another to eat them. How did that conversation go? How long did it take for people to agree to it and become ok with it? By the time we saw them they were a well oiled machine but in the beginning people must have been sick about the whole thing, especially when they started butchering survivors who they were inviting in by offering safety. It would have been so interesting to have spent 2-3 episodes in Terminus and have our guys slowly figure out what they were actually BBQing. 

Yep, Gareth was terrifying. He was just this seemingly normal guy running his business, nothing cartoonish about him, he made up good nicknames for our crew, he was very pragmatic about it all, it wasn't anything personal just survival for he and his people. The area I live in is so hip hip hip ;) so therefore is filled with hipsters, I now look at them very warily!

Yes, yes, YES!  Don't be stupid and starve to death with some soylent green lying right there handy.  But whether/how that becomes the first step on a bloody slippery slope?  Guess we'll never know NOW. 

Yikes. . . assuming I last five minutes into the ZA--unlikely--the neighbors better keep an eye on me.

(Laughing at Gareth being a hipster run amok.)

• Love 2

Can someone please tell me how the Saviors knew CDB would be making a trip this day? I'm only asking because it seems like some contrived BS that they were waiting around for an RV loaded up with main cast members at four different roadblocks, one of which would have taken a week to prepare.

Also, that dbag with the mustache needs to get got ASAP. Between him and that motorcycle guy Daryl blew up it seems like Negan puts his most annoying homies on First Contact duty. Probably just to keep them from bugging him.

Saviors possibly knew they were making a trip because Daryl, Rosita, Michonne, and Glenn were captured and they proabably radioed that they have some of the people that killed the bikers, security camp, etc. and that they're possibly going to be out looking for them. Maybe long stretch here Saviors may have visited Hilltop before and talk to/beat up Jesus because that guy with the mustache talking about last day and never know and snapping his fingers made it seem like he had some inside information. May have found all the possible ways to get to Hilltop and blocked them off knowing eventually that the group may end up going there for some reason. Don't think Rick has a walkie talkie to inform Jesus that they're on their way with a sick Maggie.

• Love 3
Ha! But seriously, I have no doubt that a frighteningly large portion of the population would go sociopath at the first opportunity

Seriously.  See:  Black Friday at Wal-Mart.

• Love 20
(edited)

The Saviours knew because they had Daryl, Glenn, Rosita and Michonne - there's no way somebody is not looking for them.

Why is everybody so mad at Carl over Enid?  I agreed with what he did.  Enid has seen horrors but she has NEVER experienced the horror of a psychopath doing his worst.  Carl watched as the Governor chopped off Hershel's head.  Carl was in the train car waiting to be eaten.  Carl saw Bob's missing leg and was in the church when the cannibals called out his name and that of his baby sister.  Carl killed a Wolf (Enid was with Glen at the time).  Carl didn't want his woman anywhere near that.  She was being insistent and wouldn't stand down and he didn't have time to convince her so he locked her in.  I get it.  I would have done it too.  At least she'll be alive to hate him.  The ones who went with him, not so much.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 10