Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Hello Kitty

Hannah is reprimanded by the school principal, and her response infuriates Fran. At Adam's play, a nervous Jessa worries about seeing Hannah after their fight, and Marnie shares news with Ray. Elijah attends a swanky party at Dill's apartment, where he gets the impression that he might be one of many.

• Love 1

It's weird...I thought this episode would be about Shosh's return, but she is not mentioned in that synopsis.

Maybe she isn't leaving Japan after all? Maybe she's going to a doctor to get her virginity back? I thought she'd be back, too.

(edited)

I thought this would be all about Sosh's return too. One based on the promo where Jessa asks Adam if he is ready for everyone to find out tonight about them, I had assumed the tonight would be a welcome home party for Shoshanna and then the title also. 

I still think it is. The title seems very telling. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl

"Your relationship to the other students is not the problem" uh.. it should be. Hannah has an odd relationship with them, you know like going to get tongue piercings with them, but whatever.   And oh wow.. Hannah is the most unprofessional human being to ever exist in the world. Fran should have stayed the hell away from her when he had the chance last season. Also, seriously, what is wrong with Hannah? When Fran was saying things like "how is this okay in your head?" how is this okay in her head? This type of behavior is something that someone like Jessa would do, with her mindset and background. Hannah.. it just.. what is wrong with her?

Jessa and Adam are a good couple. I thought I would hate them because I dislike Jessa but with Adam, she's quite enjoyable. I loved their exchange, "I'll be acting the whole time", "well, good for you! Jesus!" 

Ray! Who has been gone for like 3 episodes (probably planning revenge on the coffee without lids shop across the street, of course) I love how into the play he was and didn't want anyone to talk. Also is this like a real play or something? I felt..so out of sorts watching it.  

I don't know what Marnie wanted when she told Ray she had left Desi.

This play was so strange. I also love that Hannah hightailed it out of Adam's section of the play when she heard there was a candy bowl in the other sections room. That's such a Hannah thing to do!  

And watching Marnie and Hannah fight about their problems was all sorts of funny. Hannah finding out about Jessa and Adam vs Marnie dealing with her broken mess of a marriage. I have no idea if I feel for either of these two. It's like a Sophia's choice but I don't care about the outcome. 

I sort of feel bad for Elijah for finding out that his maybe boyfriend is also sleeping around with others but I don't know. I kind of thought this guy was an oddball. 

So, wait, Desi and Marnie's song is going to be on tv.. I think Desi wants them to get back together but Marnie does that and oh man, I felt for Hannah when these two idiots started singing their song. That seems awful.

That last scene with Jessa and Hannah sort of made me sad. 

• Love 3

I don't get what Elijah's boyfriend sees in him other than that he's young and attractive.  So learning that Elijah is one of many makes more sense to me than the love of his life BS that is being spewed.

Jessa is still Jessa.  Talking to Adam about Hannah right before his play was a pretty shitty thing to do.  If that was opening night and he needed to prepare, why mess with his head?  Is this the first time we've seen Jessa in jeans?  She looked different.    She was dressed like I did as a tween in the 70s.

Fran was the greek chorus early in the episode.  Ooh, Hannah's being inappropriate!  Don't show your vagina to people.  Thanks for speaking for us, Fran.

• Love 4
(edited)

I loved the play format, it's pretty cool. 

Hannah and Marnie are so frustratingly entertaining.  

Unlike characters on other shows who start to get on my nerves and I just end up wanting them to disappear.

I think it's because this show is only 10 episodes, and I also like the writing a lot more as well.

I still see no connect whatsoever between Jessa and Adam, I just don't see it, don't feel it.

Unlike what I felt with say Marnie and Ray. But Marnie is too fucked up for anyone and I wouldn't wish her on Ray.

Please let Fran go Hannah, he does seem like a halfway decent guy, who you're just not that into. 

The entire scene with Desi, Marnie and Hannah was hilarious. Hannah rolling over and smothering her face in the bed at Marnie and Desi's bullshit was hilarious.

Desi and Marnie overjoyed that their music will be used on Grey's Anatomy; but that's not the best of it it, it's that it will be used for a death scene, LOL. 

What a mess these people are on this show, but very entertaining.

Oh, does anybody have a read on what's going on with Elijah and Dell?  What's up with them? I don't get a good feeling because let's face it, on this show, nothing ever comes up roses. It's always gotta go somewhere miserable.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thanks a lot, Lena. I was eating when she flashed her unwanted pussy at me.

Anyway, I have to say Hannah is so unlikeable that she makes all the other characters better in comparison. Is this on purpose? If so, well done.

I found myself thinking I'd miss Marnie's goofy silly life and Shosh of course and Jessa who's a better woman with Adam. Why do they all get to grow but Hannah is right where she is at Season 1, still grossly immature. In fact, she may even be worse now.

Elijah shines without Hannah. I'm so glad they've given him this storyline. Since Shosh in Japan may be a bust, I'd be here for the Elijah & Dell show (or whoever he encounters). I like how Dell drunkenly came crawling back as if to confirm he'd never had anyone but sycophants in his life.

It's too bad this is the last season (I didn't think I'd be saying that at the start.) They are rushing some storylines. I still want to know why Shosh discarded her seemingly perfect boyfriend. I guess she was never that into him.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3
(edited)

Actually, the last season is next year-2017 season 6.

Hannah is the worst. And I don't understand in her mind how she thinks her behavior is okay. It doesn't make sense to me, either. And then acting all breezy and unabashedly at how she got to keep her job. Like.. what? And.. I just don't get it. It's not even funny ha ha to me, it's ridiculous that this is supposed to be a late 20 something woman who thinks this type of behavior is fine in a professional way. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 4

Actually, the last season is next year-2017 season 6.

Oh thanks. That really changes how I'm viewing things now. It's encouraging as they must have even bigger story ideas to enact if they're already rushing things. And there's still hope for Hannah then. 

(edited)

How in the hell did Hannah's hairy vag get her out of trouble?  Is it a magic, hypnotic vag?  AND, why wouldn't he fire her on the spot for going pantyless in a short skirt when she's teaching underage children (teens, tweens, whatever) ?

That being said, I also loved the play.  Very, very cool, albeit unsettling because what happened to Kitty Genovese is indescribably shocking.

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 9

Hannah watching Jessa walk off with Adam until it just hurts too much to look at it was my favourite bit of acting from Lena Dunham on this show.

I also, I liked Adam's play scene. His wife saying "underwears."

Fun (?) fact- apparently, according to her brother, several of the neighbours called the cops when they heard Kitty screaming but he thinks the cops never showed because they thought it was a domestic dispute. What an awful case. The Law and Order version is awful, too.

• Love 10

How in the hell did Hannah's hairy vag get her out of trouble? It's not like she let him dig in or get a little sumpthin' sumpthin'. AND, why wouldn't he fire her on the spot for going pantyless in a short skirt when she's teaching underage children (teens, tweens, whatever) ?

That being said, I also loved the play. Very, very cool, albeit unsettling because what happened to Kitty Genovese is indescribably shocking.

I think Horrible Hannah was threatening to frame him for a wrongful dismissal based on sexual harassment.

• Love 2

Wow, I didn't know the play was based on a real life story. Also, yes the Jessa/Hannah end scene made me sad for a few reasons. And not really the fact that Hannah discovered Adam and Jessa might be having a thing but because I think they both were conveying how disconnected they feel from each other at this moment. It reminded me of the moments in season 2 when Marnie and Hannah were fighting and Marnie called Hannah after breaking up with the pretentious artist guy and she lied about still being with him and Hannah lied about getting work done on her book when really she wasn't getting anything done. I do enjoy the little moments on this show.

• Love 3

Hannah was totally trying to pull a Sharon Stone from Basic Instinct, wasn't she? I'm still stunned that she wasn't fired on the spot. And why is Fran still trying to talk to her like she's a reasonable person? He knows her well enough to know better.

• Love 11

Hannah was totally trying to pull a Sharon Stone from Basic Instinct, wasn't she? I'm still stunned that she wasn't fired on the spot. And why is Fran still trying to talk to her like she's a reasonable person? He knows her well enough to know better.

Right. I feel for Fran, though. I think he tries hard with Hannah because that's just who he is. But also, we caught the tail end of their conversation when she was like finishing explaining how she kept her job, I can only assume that while Fran knows who Hannah is, like a normal human being he probably would never think she would do something like this. I mean, it's not something anyone would think to do. Right? I would hope not. 

I'm waiting for the inside the episode tomorrow because I want to know what Lena's thought process was with this scene. I..just am still computing if she thinks it's funny or if she's trying to be provocative to be provocative with that scene or something else that I am missing entirely. It wasn't funny to me.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm waiting for the inside the episode tomorrow because I want to know what Lena's thought process was with this scene. I..just am still computing if she thinks it's funny or if she's trying to be provocative to be provocative with that scene or something else that I am missing entirely. It wasn't funny to me.

She said the whole Hannah flashing her vag incident was a way to show how incompatible Hannah and Fran really are.  She said the move was "classic Hannah" and that Fran "might not see the humor in it".   Whatever the hell that means.

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 3
(edited)

She said the whole Hannah flashing her vag incident was a way to show how incompatible Hannah and Fran really are.  She said the move was "classic Hannah" and that Fran "might not see the humor in it".   Whatever the hell that means.

WHAT?!?!?! I don't see the humor in it! And so far, I think most of us agree it wasn't funny at all-although I am not going to speak for all of us. But so far I think most of us have all had a very WTF reaction to the scene. There was supposed to be humor in that? I mean.. wow. I don't understand. 

And it does show how her and Fran aren't compatible because Fran is an adult and not a child in an adults body. I think that's Hannah's problem. She still has the mind of a child but that's getting to be a problem. Her behavior isn't okay. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 8

When Hanna was talking to Marnie about whether Adam and Jessa were together, she played it off like how annoying it would be.

But when she saw them after the play, she was devastated and begged Fran to not leave her alone for the night.

Fran must see what's happening. She also dragged him to Mimi Rose's event to scope out Adam so he should be seeing a pattern.

What does he see in her?

Marnie wasn't sympathetic either though if Hanna had shown how hurt she was at the possibility of Adam and Jessa, would she have given Hanna a shoulder to cry on?

At least until Desi popped in with news about their cruddy song being on some smarmy tv show?

• Love 1

How is it possible that Hannah has not flashed her bush at one of her bosses already?

The only explanation I have for why he didn't fire her on the spot was that he was just too shocked to say anything other than, "Please leave my office now!"

Adam yelled at Hannah for telling him she was attending the Iowa's Writers' Workshop right before he was going onstage, but told Jessa that he didn't need to prepare for this play.

Meh. I don't feel too much sympathy for Elijah. I always thought the main draw with Dill was that Dill was famous.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wish I could remember the exact wording, but Lena said something in the "Inside the Episode" thing about how a scene of her showing her vagina was something that had been talked about in the writer's room for a long time and she thought they'd finally given up on it, but it just kept coming back and they found a way to do it in this episode.  I rolled my eyes so hard at that, like it was some big creative decision that just wouldn't leave Lena and the writers alone and had to be done.  I mean, come on. Was there ever a doubt that Lena would insist on giving us full (lower) frontal from Hannah at some point before this series ended?

I never thought I'd say this, but I think Desi might be my favorite character this season.  He's a complete idiot, but so entertaining.

Edited by TaraS1
  • Love 7

How in the hell did Hannah's hairy vag get her out of trouble?  It's not like she let him dig in or get a little sumpthin' sumpthin'.  AND, why wouldn't he fire her on the spot for going pantyless in a short skirt when she's teaching underage children (teens, tweens, whatever) ?

Exactly.  She should have been fired on the spot (actually, should have happened a long time ago.  At least at the time of the piercing incident.) and Fran should have dumped her four or five times over.  Even if Fran has serious "need to save her" issues, he should have been pushed past the edge by now.

• Love 6

Well I saw the humor in that scene. I don't think it's funny from the POV of a friend or certainly a boyfriend of Hannah's, but as a viewer it was just so over the top ridiculous that I laughed/gasped.

Lena made the comparison to her real life relationship, saying that if her boyfriend had a problem with her doing that (as an actress) they wouldn't be compatible. I think that was a very bad comparison because flashing your vag is not in the job description of a teacher but could be of an actress. I did like that she said Fran was completely within his rights to not want his gf to do that. I guess Fran and Hannah will be done soon since Lena says they're not compatible.

I loved marnie calling jessa and Adam "second tier" friends, ha! And she and Desi being awful together about their song. So good. And that last scene with Hannah heartbroken seeing Adam and jessa together. Lena isn't a great actress but she nailed that scene.

• Love 4

I honestly just don't like Fran. There. I said it. He doesn't seem like a nice guy to me, he seems like a "Nice Guy" and it pisses me off how endlessly judgmental he is about Hannah. True, she's infuriating and immature - but that's who she is. If he doesn't like it, he can leave. Instead he stays with her and rolls his eyes and huffs and puffs.  He really pissed me off at the end when she was trying so hard not to cry. To me, it was clear she was having some sort of emotional response and his attitude was all "Oh GAWD, here's Hannah being infuriatingly Hannah again!" - Go away. Just break up. You guys are making each other miserable.

I did feel bad for Hannah. I think she knows she doesn't belong with Adam but the way Jessa acted around her and then to figure out what's going on. It's a punch in the gut.

I did laugh when Marnie called Jessa and Adam "Second Tier friends" 

• Love 6

I am just sitting and thinking about what would happen if a male teacher pulled out his cock and showed it to a female principal in the middle of trying to reprimand him for his inappropriate behavior. Oh, that's right, he'd probably be fucking arrested, or at the very least fired.

I'm a fire-breathing feminist and don't tend to make these type of double standard arguments because most things aren't that black and white, but in this one, I cannot even remotely find humor in it.

The poster up thread who mentioned that Hannah has actually DE-volved since season one is spot on. In the first couple seasons, Hannah was annoying, sure -- but she was also ambitious and creative in a relatable way. I never truly bought she was such a gifted writer, but the show tried to show that. Having her pursue that career and watching her find successes and failures, and then try out grad school. Those were all realistic steps for this character.

But they've kept with this teacher plotline for two seasons now and nothing about it has been even remotely realistic. I hate it so much, particularly Fran, who would just flat out never be with her. His disdain for her is obvious, why would he push back when she said she wanted to end it? I don't understand.

• Love 17

Lena made the comparison to her real life relationship, saying that if her boyfriend had a problem with her doing that (as an actress) they wouldn't be compatible. I think that was a very bad comparison because flashing your vag is not in the job description of a teacher but could be of an actress. I did like that she said Fran was completely within his rights to not want his gf to do that. I guess Fran and Hannah will be done soon since Lena says they're not compatible.

Fran's name is coming up linked to Hannah's work problems.  I think that's what's finally going to end the relationship.  She has to be fired soon and either it will splash on him or she'll be pissed off that he won't quit in solidarity with her.   Fran seems to be able to forgive her practically anything, but he does love teaching and that will be his line in the sand.

• Love 2
(edited)

I never thought Desi was hot, but he was looking pretty good last night.

I have no idea how private schools in NYC work, but would they be more tolerable of Hannah's behavior than most?  I can't see how she is still a teacher, with all the shit she's pulled.  If she doesn't get fired, I will wave bye-bye to any credibility this show ever had.  Jesus.

I thought Jessa looked cute as hell in her 70's outfit, and I love her Adam together.  That is all.

• Love 2

I'm glad you guys commented that Hannah's Vajayjay Show was inappropriate. I'm an old and wondered if this is one more thing the Millennials are doing now that I have to put up with because women can't be censored yada yada whatever. 

Is there anything remotely redeeming about Hannah or Marnie, or Jessa for that matter?   I enjoy this show a great deal because I remember how shallow and stupid we all are in our 20s but good lord these girls are taking it to a new stratosphere of female ass holiness. 

I loved Elijah taking Dell's bathroom stuff.  It looks like Dell leaves his Dr Nicholas Perricone face stuff out on the counter. Does he think his guests need some DMAE lotion? 

• Love 3

I'm glad you guys commented that Hannah's Vajayjay Show was inappropriate. I'm an old and wondered if this is one more thing the Millennials are doing now that I have to put up with because women can't be censored yada yada whatever. 

Not just inappropriate but gross.  Was there anything appealing at all in that?  Was the headmaster turned on?  Ew.  

• Love 2
I mean, it's just... not funny at all to me and the fact that she seemed so incredibly flabbergasted that Fran was kind of upset about it was something else too.

Agree!  Who would do this?  And think it's okay?  And not get fired? 

• Love 4

I have no idea how private schools in NYC work, but would they be more tolerable of Hannah's behavior than most? I can't see how she is still a teacher, with all the shit she's pulled. If she doesn't get fired, I will wave bye-bye to any credibility this show ever had. Jesus.

The principal did remark the students love Hannah, so she has that going for her -- and in those circles, that's all you need.
(edited)

The principal did remark the students love Hannah, so she has that going for her -- and in those circles, that's all you need.

The reason they love her is because she is on their level, maturity-wise.  Wasn't she called into the principal's office for bad-mouthing the other teachers to her students?

Hannah just doesn't understand the concept of boundaries, and these dummies at St. Whatever are letting her get away with it.  At this point she could probably fuck a male student and not get fired because hey, the kids love her!  What's the problem? 

I just...this is a strange little world they've got goin' on, here.  So far removed from anything I'm familiar with. :/

• Love 6

I was really interested in the play...so much that it was actually distracting me from the show.

Hannah and Fran-this is a mess. When Hannah is with him, she seems even worse than normal. Why would she even tell him about the thing with the principal.

So Jessa's plan is to what...avoid Hannah forever. I mean it's one thing to be like these feelings just happened and I feel like I need to explore them to your friend-but she is being so shady about this. What is her plan, avoid Hannah forever? I don't hate Jessa and Adam (even though I individually hate Adam) but I don't have much hope for a relationship that starts this way.

Marnie to Ray...what do you think? Marnie-when will she trust her own judgment?

What did Elijah mean when he said "I don't want to be with you like that, like Mel Gibson" when Dell came over to his place afterwards?

Mel Gibson level of intoxication, I gathered.
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think the whole point of this show, and especially this episode with the opening scene, is Lena Dunham is going to do whatever she can do to be shocking, and damn anyone who wants to say something about it. That's fine, you do you Lena. I think you could make better use of your talent. If they give you an award because you did a bush shot, I'll remember that you're a millennial and everybody gets a trophy. It's not my thing, so I'll move along.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 12
(edited)

Call me an old fart who's out of touch with Millennial-speak.  I am.  Call me a grammar Nazi.  I'll own it.  But, goddammit....

When did pubic areas/mons veneris-es/bushes become vaginas?  My formal sex ed consisted of when they herded all us 6th grade boys into the library to show us a film strip that seemed to be more about hygiene than anything else, but the last I heard a vagina was interior apparatus.  Unless Hannah gave the principal a speculum after the scene cutaway, she didn't show him her vagina.

I am so weary of the constant misuse of the English language on television.  Words have meaning, FFS.  Use them correctly.

Rant aside, I was nervous about the Kitty Genovese play.  That incident was a coming-of-age moment for me; I couldn't comprehend how it could have happened and I wasn't sure that this show would handle it appropriately.  Other than being a backdrop for Hannah's obnoxiousness, the play itself was respectful enough, so thanks for that.

Speaking of Hannah's obnoxiousness, she wouldn't have lasted a month in the real world. The fact that she's still employed as a teacher is nothing more than plot-necessary fantasy.  

Speaking of fantasy, Dill's apartment is fantastic. Kudos to Elijah for calling him out, but this isn't Carrie and Mr. Big - in the real world, people with as much money, fame, and power as Dill seems to have do pretty much whatever they want to do.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 10