Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I don't know if it would matter much what KT was getting, she has made it clear she wants to do other stuff besides GH. She probably wouldn't have signed a contract in 2020 if not for the pandemic. I think she is an iffy actress but I respect her for trying. So many of the actors definitely want to do other stuff but don't audition as much as they can. Including DZ who said as much.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I've forgotten what her dangling story was about. Something to do with another woman being held on Victor's private prison? Olivia, Robert, and Ethan in Monte Carlo? Something about Sam and Dante there?

They showed her on camera being held somewhere. Then they said there was a woman being held in Greece in the same compound as Drew. Some people thought it was Hayden, others like me thought it was Holly.

I know she had covid and long term covid, which sucks from everything I've heard about it. Maybe they'll tie it up with Luke's murder or something. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I am not holding my breath that Holly's story will make any sense.

You took the words right out of my fingers! But forget about sense; I don't trust this regime do to anything good, except decimate yet another Vet. You only have to see what Frank and his minions have done to all the "returning" Vets.

They can "rah-rah!" on social media all they want and pat themselves on the back, but they do shit-all and will only fuck it up and ruin Holly more than her previous returns were under Guzasshole.

• Love 3

I'm glad Emma Samms is feeling better and it'll be nice to see Holly, but the show's dipped into this well so much lately - presumed dead character is actually alive and being held by an evildoer - that I can't see it being that interesting a return.

• Love 5

Love this:

Digest: Do you ever get tired of saying, “It’s my house, Alan gave it to me?”

Charleson: Absolutely, yes! We all did what we could to get it taken out of the script. Sometimes we were successful, but most of the time we had to grin and say it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Love this:

Digest: Do you ever get tired of saying, “It’s my house, Alan gave it to me?”

Charleson: Absolutely, yes! We all did what we could to get it taken out of the script. Sometimes we were successful, but most of the time we had to grin and say it.

So the actors dislike have those recurring tropes as we are. 

• Love 1
On 8/19/2022 at 9:50 PM, ulkis said:

I don't know if it would matter much what KT was getting, she has made it clear she wants to do other stuff besides GH. She probably wouldn't have signed a contract in 2020 if not for the pandemic. I think she is an iffy actress but I respect her for trying. So many of the actors definitely want to do other stuff but don't audition as much as they can. Including DZ who said as much.

I'm with you on Kelly. Not the greatest actress in the world, but she clearly makes an effort and she's definitely trying. Bryan Craig is also hustling and he's managed to land a lead role on Good Trouble.

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Interesting article on Cameron Matheson undergoing stem cell treatments for a  degenerative disease that he had as a child called Legg Calve Perthes Disease.

He was diagnosed at age 2 and had to wear a very uncomfortable double leg brace (picture in the article) day and night for 4 years. He didn't walk until he was 7. I am so over Drew but my respect for CM has grown.

Man, having the braces force your legs apart like that must have been tough. I recall reading the basic story about it years ago

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
On 9/18/2022 at 12:38 PM, statsgirl said:

Interesting article on Cameron Matheson undergoing stem cell treatments for a  degenerative disease that he had as a child called Legg Calve Perthes Disease.

He was diagnosed at age 2 and had to wear a very uncomfortable double leg brace (picture in the article) day and night for 4 years. He didn't walk until he was 7. I am so over Drew but my respect for CM has grown.

Holy cow that sounds painful.  Probably a reason why he’s so into health and fitness now, hopefully it helps him.

I’ve met Cameron Mathison and he is just such a charismatic, easygoing guy.  I’m so sad that his talents are being wasted on GH, but also happy he’s at least getting a steady paycheck.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, tessaray said:

NC had like 2 shaky days and then started getting raves, at least hereabouts.  🙂  But yeah, it does probably suck to be the recast.

On FB they were crying about Bechtel for a really long time.   I am sure some of them still are!  lol.  I for one loved the recast from the first week, but I saw a lot of comments about what they did to "poor Bechtel".  

Edited by CeChase
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Nicholas Chavez is featured in People magazine. He talks about winning the Daytime a Emmy and how he overcame the negative comments about him when he started on the show.

https://people.com/tv/general-hospital-star-nicholas-chavez-facts/

Aw good for him getting some more mainstream recognition. I do remember people being pissed on the former Spencers behalf and him even egging that on a bit. I missed his years but I’ve seen some clips and I don’t see the appeal. GH has had some amazing child actors - Robin, Emily, Lucky to name a few - and wouldn’t include young Spencer on that list at all.  

• Love 1

I do think Frank held off on recasting Bechtel for as long as possible because he clearly adored him. I think he was willing him to grow, lol. But no, he didn't improve for a long time besides mugging for the adults BTS and by the time he did he still wasn't grown enough. Oh well.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 9/28/2022 at 10:30 PM, jsbt said:

I do think Frank held off on recasting Bechtel for as long as possible because he clearly adored him. I think he was willing him to grow, lol. But no, he didn't improve for a long time besides mugging for the adults BTS and by the time he did he still wasn't grown enough. Oh well.

I think he was hoping that Bechtel would get the Jonathan Jackson glow up and become the teen idol type, which just didn't happen. Bechtel will be fine, though. He can play nerdy teenaged boys in the Ryan Murphy verse for at least another decade. By that point he might have a career trajectory similar to Austin Abrams.

Edited by methodwriter85
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think he was hoping that Bechtel would get the Jonathan Jackson glow up and become the teen idol type, which just didn't happen. Bechtel will be fine, though. He can play nerdy teenaged boys in the Ryan Murphy verse for at least another decade. By there point he might have a career trajectory similar to Austin Abrams.

In my opinion, Bechtel was never in the same league as Jonathan. Jonathan actually had natural talent and could hold his own with the adults. Bechtel was nothing but marbled mush mouth.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

In my opinion, Bechtel was never in the same league as Jonathan. Jonathan actually had natural talent and could hold his own with the adults. Bechtel was nothing but marbled mush mouth.

I know, he never was, but I think Frank was really hoping that Nicholas Betchel would turn into Tiger Beat material like Jonathan Jackson did. He gave the kid until he was 16 before finally giving in and accepting NB just wasn't going to hit that Tall, Dark, and Handsome label. When Spencer finally got recasted, Betchel could still pass as a 13-year old and that just wasn't going to cut it.

I do really like NAC. I think he's an exceptionally smart young man who is thrilled about getting a break into the show business after just one or two years of trying. He reminds me of how soaps often used to serve as a stepping stone to bigger and better things for unknown actors and I'm rooting for the guy.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7

NB improved considerably in his final few years as a recurring presence with much less spotlight, IMO; he finally became able to genuinely emote vs. mugging, particularly in the stuff with Nikolas' return. (Some of us will remember his Grey's Anatomy appearance in the Lil' Spencer heyday where Chandra Wilson struggled manfully to get tears out of him one on one and utterly failed) He finally impressed me. But no, he was never a Jonathan Jackson or Kimberly McCullough, and frankly he had been spoiled by Frank and the show in his early years. I think he's become a better actor but I don't miss him at all. I have no idea what he's doing today.

NB got terrible writing for a long time. It was extremely campy and precocious, and a lot of it was unsuitable for Spencer's age. He hired showgirls for one of his birthdays. How is that considered appropriate? Yet we were supposed to laugh along at the lil scamp. UGH. And, of course, he tampered with Laura's mayoral election. (I'LL NEVER FORGET.) 

Robin and Lucky were treated with much more respect even as kids. NB's Spencer was supposed to be a laugh machine, and I never laughed.

• Applause 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

When Spencer finally got recasted, Betchel could still pass as a 13-year old and that just wasn't going to cut it.

I think this was the meat of it. His peer group was being aged up, and Bechtel no longer could pass as a contemporary. They chem tested him with Eden McCoy a few times before the recast, and he came off as an annoying little brother. They tried to hold onto Brooke Rae Silzer's Emma for as long as possible too, but her acting never quite grew with the role.

8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I do really like NAC. I think he's an exceptionally smart young man who is thrilled about getting a break into the show business after just one or two years of trying. He reminds me of how soaps often used to serve as a stepping stone to bigger and better things for unknown actors and I'm rooting for the guy.

I'm still shocked he hasn't jumped ship yet. He's quite talented. I'm surprised the CW/FreeForm/Netflix didn't poach him during pilot season. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Did anyone? NB's Spencer was the worst, or at least up there with Dylan Cash's Michael (not that adult Michael is any better).

And Dylan Cash never got an extended showcase in a live episode where the ending episode tag was just him (Bechtel) dancing for the camera, IIRC. I'll never forget that.

1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I'm still shocked he hasn't jumped ship yet. He's quite talented. I'm surprised the CW/FreeForm/Netflix didn't poach him during pilot season. 

Is he not on contract? I assume he is and that's why. It's also why they were stupid not to lock others in, like William Lipton.

22 minutes ago, jsbt said:

And Dylan Cash never got an extended showcase in a live episode where the ending episode tag was just him (Bechtel) dancing for the camera, IIRC. I'll never forget that.

Is he not on contract? I assume he is and that's why. It's also why they were stupid not to lock others in, like William Lipton.

Yes I believe they have him locked in for 3 years.  

Honestly, while it's become the narrative that Chavez was bad for the first day or first two days and then drastically improved, I thought he was fine out of the gate, and I expressed it then. Viewers sometimes take time to warm up to someone new too. And as we've seen from clues (like coming-and-going temporary recasts who did all the scenes on a particular set, with the footage then spread out), we don't always get perfect sequence. The material of NAC's first air day may not have been his first day's work. 

I am another who remembers seeing the weeping over the replacement of Bechtel. Some people were saying Spencer had always been a lovable, manic little scamp, and the new actor was nothing like that. But adult versions of soap characters rarely line up with the child versions when there is SORAS. BryDawg's douchebro bipolar gambler version of Morgan was a million miles from Aaron Refvem's preteen Morgan, for example. Kirsten Storms has never seemed to me plausibly the same person as the child Maxie.

Even adult soap characters, when one adult actor takes over for another, can go in a different direction. Within reason, it's a good idea to write to the strengths of the person you have.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Some people were saying Spencer had always been a lovable, manic little scamp, and the new actor was nothing like that.

Even Bechtel's Spencer wasn't like that when he first started, IIRC.

I  guess people forget the NB left the role. He was unavailable for filming until his show got canceled. Frank brought him back a couple of times, but by then Joss had been recast with a more mature looking Eden. Who knows how Frank would have handled the kiddie set had NB not left. And I agree about Brooklyn Silzer. Loved loved loved her as a little girl, but her last appearances had me questioning her acting chops as a teen. I think Emma will be back in the form of a recast sooner rather than later.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Even Bechtel's Spencer wasn't like that when he first started, IIRC.

Bechtel's first appearance, he was charming and polite, someone that acted that he was raised in aristocracy (like Stefan raised Nikolas), not some entitled asshole. 

• Love 1
On 9/30/2022 at 11:55 PM, justduckey said:

I  guess people forget the NB left the role. He was unavailable for filming until his show got canceled. Frank brought him back a couple of times, but by then Joss had been recast with a more mature looking Eden. Who knows how Frank would have handled the kiddie set had NB not left. And I agree about Brooklyn Silzer. Loved loved loved her as a little girl, but her last appearances had me questioning her acting chops as a teen. I think Emma will be back in the form of a recast sooner rather than later.

It's really funny when you consider that NB is only about 2 years younger than Eden McCoy but dude can still play a 14-year old on a Disney Channel show while she looks every bit the LA party girl on her Instagram.

It's really awkward though, because I think NB realizes this and he's trying desperately to be a heartthrob and posing shirtless on his Instagram and it's just like...please dude, stop. I keep feeling like I'm about to get asked by Chris Hanson to take a seat whenever I come across the thirst traps NB posts on his Instagram. LOL

Like I said though, Nicholas Betchel can work with this. If he's willing to play the nerdy twink in Ryan Murphy shows for another decade, he could eventually hit pay dirt. Austin Abrams has been playing nerdy teen guys for like a decade and he's finally starting to get leading roles in edgy teen dramas.

As for Brooklyn, she's like Robin Richards. Both were wonderful child actresses, but it didn't really translate to teenhood.

I do kind of want to see Brooklyn come back at some point and be weirded out by remembering all the creepy shit Spencer did. LOL

I used to hate Spencer. Now I don’t hate Spencer at all.
I used to hate Michael. I still hate Michael.

You can attribute the writing, and that’s fair. But so much has to do with the acting. There’s a good Spencer actor now, and previously there wasn’t. There has never been a good Michael actor.

Just my opinion, but I’m sticking to it.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 9