Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

So were the rumors about them recasting false? Sounds like BM has already finished filming. I hope that’s true since the cast is bloated and they weren’t really utilizing Drew anyway but FV seems to love recasting roles that probably don’t need to be recast

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

I'm annoyed that Miller is out, while Burton continues to be the center of every freaking story. I wonder if TB is next on the chopping block.

Burton and Benard (and Wright) are the three-headed beast that ate General Hospital.  

• Love 16
(edited)

Nothing against Miller, but I'm not upset over this news. I never bought his Jason, and even though Drew has had some nice scenes here and there (with Monica, with Franco, with Curtis, with Liz), mostly he has been superfluous. The Patient Six "mystery" had its moments, but I didn't think even that played to BM's strengths. Most of us never doubted from the announcement that Burton would supplant Miller as The Jason. A certain kind of actor might have shone in those scenes in which Drew was resentful that the people he had thought were his friends didn't believe he was Jason, when he had all the memories and was so sure he was, but Miller is so low-key. It just seemed like mild pique and grumbling. Everything Drew-related since the dust settled from that, including his newfound and quickly lost teenager, has been B-plot water-treading. 

I hope there is no recast. The character was a classic example of something convoluted that was patched together to keep someone with a contract busy. 

I like Tamara Braun, actually much more than I did when she was Carly, but yeah, I don't think that that character has worked either. It's the Claudia Zacchara experiment all over again, but this time a nicer version. She's not even being used as the OB for Spina Bifida Baby. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 9

this means Curtis and Chase are the only really good guys left on the show.  I was going to say nice, but Michael is nice and he has a habit of turning to the dark side when pushed.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

Nothing against Miller, but I'm not upset over this news. I never bought his Jason, and even though Drew has had some nice scenes here and there (with Monica, with Franco, with Curtis, with Liz), mostly he has been superfluous. The Patient Six "mystery" had its moments, but I didn't think even that played to BM's strengths. Most of us never doubted from the announcement that Burton would supplant Miller as The Jason. A certain kind of actor might have shone in those scenes in which Drew was resentful that the people he had thought were his friends didn't believe he was Jason, when he had all the memories and was so sure he was, but Miller is so low-key. It just seemed like mild pique and grumbling. Everything Drew-related since the dust settled from that, including his newfound and quickly lost teenager, has been B-plot water-treading. 

I hope there is no recast. The character was a classic example of something convoluted that was patched together to keep someone with a contract busy. 

I like Tamara Braun, actually much more than I did when she was Carly, but yeah, I don't think that that character has worked either. It's the Claudia Zacchara experiment all over again, but this time a nicer version. She's not even being used as the OB for Spina Bifida Baby. 

Well, I couldn't disagree more, across the board, and I don't think they have much audience to lose, so...

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Michael is nice and he has a habit of turning to the dark side when pushed.

Not dark enough, IMO. Michael is SO BORING, and he's the ostensible young male lead. The show has no idea what to do with anyone.

• Love 15
17 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

When Kim first came on, I actually liked that they didn’t treat her like Claudia and forced her back into Sonny and Jason’s sphere. But they don’t seem to know what to do with her. It seems like she was originally supposed to be a spoiler for Drew/Sam but they didn’t keep that couple together for very long and Drew and Kim’s interactions were always one-sided without Drew’s memories. Her relationship with Julian has been pretty boring since their issues never seem to last more than a couple episodes and are easily blown over. 

All she’s really had is Oscar’s storyline, which finally seems like its coming to an end. They haven’t bothered to create enough other connections for her. Plus in her age range, we already have Carly, Nina, and Ava with a ton on screentime. Without Oscar and Drew, all she really has is Julian and a sort of friendship with Liz, 2 other characters who they don’t seem to want to write storylines for. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Her own mother barely sees her, and Jason doesn't interact with his own children. Scout is safe on that front.

Is she? I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to trot her out because wouldn't it be great if . . .

• Love 1
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I hope they don't kill off the character and I hope he takes Scout with him. The last thing I wanna see is Jason interacting with that child

With Drew gone, Scout's is as good as Jason's child, far more than Jake is.  (fury)

They seem to be upping Sasha's presence so I'm afraid Kim may be going too. I'll regret it because while she didn't have much to do, she's a doctor, she hasn't every propped the mob, and I like her relationship with Julian. It's a supportive, adult relationship and I'd put it second to Willow/Chase in terms of what I like watching. (Sorry Kevin/Laura and Friz fans.)

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

With Drew gone, Scout's is as good as Jason's child, far more than Jake is.  (fury)

Yep. Especially if they don’t recast. It’ll be killed off or Jason’s.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Sam already makes noises like she's Jason's.  With Drew off the canvas, she'll definitely be brought up as Jason's and Drew will never be mentioned.  

(edited)
On 7/29/2019 at 12:05 PM, Asp Burger said:

Nothing against Miller, but I'm not upset over this news. I never bought his Jason

It's a waste because he could have been Lucky or Dillon. And while I'm not crying over this news FV should be a little more concerned that RP, MC, DZ, and BM all bailed on him relatively quickly. At this point maybe he should re-hire shitty Dillon, that's how dire it's getting. But no, Frank will just double down on Howarth, Easton and Benard.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Frank is pretty cheap. He's not going to pay for a child actor—especially a young one—unless there's a damn good reason.

I’m not entirely sure how soap contracts or statuses work so I could be wrong but if they are recurring, don’t they just get paid by appearance?

(edited)
14 minutes ago, ulkis said:

It's a waste because he could have been Lucky or Dillon. 

What’s also unfortunate is even after the Jason debacle, why couldn’t they just have given his OG memories back, erased Sam and Co. (bc she’s irrelevant as her own character outside of Jason apparently), and just started him fresh!? He also had great chemistry with Becky! Do that again, in the way it should have been done from the beginning.

This wasn’t that hard, but I’m imagining he didn’t have a great relationship with Frank, and probably buried himself by only wanting to be paired with his Deuces partner.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, ffwbe said:
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Frank is pretty cheap. He's not going to pay for a child actor—especially a young one—unless there's a damn good reason.

I’m not entirely sure how soap contracts or statuses work so I could be wrong but if they are recurring, don’t they just get paid by appearance?

They do, but it's still money being spent. Child actors are kind of a hassle regardless because of the labor laws. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

What’s also unfortunate is even after the Jason debacle, why couldn’t they just have given his OG memories back, erased Sam and Co. (bc she’s irrelevant as her own character outside of Jason apparently), and just started him fresh!? He also had great chemistry with Becky! Do that again, in the way it should have been done from the beginning.

This wasn’t that hard, but I’m imagining he didn’t have a great relationship with Frank, and probably buried himself by only wanting to be paired with his Deuces partner.

To be fair to Billy, at that point Liz was entrenched with Franco and FV wasn't gonna pull her out of that for Billy/Drew.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, ulkis said:

To be fair to Billy, at that point Liz was entrenched with Franco and FV wasn't gonna pull her out of that for Billy/Drew.

Is it just me or is it hard to believe that RoHo is attached to that pairing? Isn’t he tired of it by now? Family man Franco with Liz and the boys...this is what he wants!? 🧐

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ouinason said:

this means Curtis and Chase are the only really good guys left on the show.  I was going to say nice, but Michael is nice and he has a habit of turning to the dark side when pushed.

They are also the only really good looking guys left on the show. I wonder if there is a correlation. 😉

I'll miss BM. I'll miss Drew. I think both were horribly under utilized. But hey, at least we get Jason and Sonny crammed down our throats at every turn. Ugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
38 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

They are also the only really good looking guys left on the show. I wonder if there is a correlation. 😉

I'll miss BM. I'll miss Drew. I think both were horribly under utilized. But hey, at least we get Jason and Sonny crammed down our throats at every turn. Ugh.

It's so awful.  I blame the twitter Jasam cult for this.  They are awful. 

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, CeChase said:

It's so awful.  I blame the twitter Jasam cult for this.  They are awful. 

I feel like this isn’t just a JaSam thing. I see this with TV/entertainment in general these days. I don’t know if it’s social media and it’s ability to garner instant reaction, but there are no stakes anymore. It’s like once they find out X pairing is “popular,” they begin to cater to a particular group. There’s no drama or conflict. No other relationships become significant. 

And then Shonda Rhimes is the complete opposite of this; she’ll kill any pairing for “female empowerment.”

There needs to be a balance. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ffwbe said:

All she’s really had is Oscar’s storyline, which finally seems like its coming to an end.

I hope so. It's rather remarkable that he died in May, the May 1 show at that, and here we are in late July with Josslyn shrieking over their special padlock being cut, and the other three members of the teen set spend the whole episode soothing her. I don't think a week of shows has gone by since the death without heavy conversation about what a blow it is to all who knew him. Alexis has even brought him up in her therapy scenes with Neil!  

It's real-world realistic that a loved one's death is something people take a long time to get over, but did they have to choose him to make that point? He was not on the show for very long and he had no personality. I hate myself for saying it, but all the reminiscing and sad anniversaries for penguin-lovin' Morgan at least make some dramatic sense.  

• Love 9

I've got the sads about Billy Miller. He was so wasted and unappreciated. What makes it worse is that he was on more recently and was consistently excellent. He is a good actor and I will miss him. 

We've only got Chase, Curtis and the Scorpio brothers left. Kind of depressing.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

Alexis has even brought him up in her therapy scenes with Neil!  

What?

3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

What’s the over/under that they recast Drew? 

Well, what's Franco gonna do without his bestie?

• Useful 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, ulkis said:

What?

Well, what's Franco gonna do without his bestie?

True. He does need a friend. I’m casting Josh Kelly. He was on OLTL which is basically an EZ Pass to GH. He knows FV & RH already. He looks like BM and had pecs. That said, I haven’t seen him in years and he might have let himself go. LOL!!!!

This is what he looked like back in the day. This was years ago though when he was playing Cutter on OLTL.

1B0B9A5D-FECB-44B9-ABC4-5D992FF9D101.jpeg

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

That is, if you like that.  Curtis reminds me of my brother and everything about Chase is overrated.

(edited)

If Donnell Turner had been brought on as Sonny's latest lackey, or Josh Swickard and Coby Ryan McLaughlin had swapped auditions (CRM as the nice cop wooing WIllow and sweetly connecting with Finn; Swickard doling out the ass tattoos and rape drugs), or Howarth were still playing Todd Manning while Billy Miller had been tapped as Franco V2.0...

In other words, I think feelings about the characters can slop over onto the actors. Sometimes feelings about the actors may even make us see them as less attractive (re: the various political views expressed by a couple of the guys, and at least one of the gals, depending on where the viewer is on the spectrum).  

However, I don't count among GH's problems that the cast isn't superficially attractive enough. With the exception of a few older ones who (at least now) are more in the "average" range, I think if most of the major contract and recurring people weren't soap stars and I passed them on the street, or one was introduced to me as a new coworker or someone a friend was dating (etc.), I'd find them striking. I realize that mileage may vary. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, ouinason said:

15 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I guess mileage does vary on this. Because they're not. Not the only good guys OR good looking men. There's Jax, Mac and Robert. These three are also good guys and sexy lookin' men.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I guess mileage does vary on this. Because they're not. Not the only good guys OR good looking men. There's Jax, Mac and Robert. These three are also good guys and sexy lookin' men.

I stand corrected. Those are also some rather attractive men. Curtis and Chase are closer to my age so they are the first ones I think of, but I agree that anyone on this show supposedly from Australia is one handsome man. Shiloh isn't played by an ugly actor, either. The rest of the men on the show, while not unattractive, are what I'd call "Hollywood average".

• Love 1

Blonds aren't usually my type at all, so what someone else might find attractive (Jax), I wouldn't simply due to that fact. For some reason, I overlooked it with Billy Miller (and he's shorter too!). I tend to like the "tall, dark handsome" types like Chase. But everyone has different tastes and different preferences. Personally, I think the women are more attractive than the men in general. <shrug> But maybe it's because they're better in the acting department.

As far as Billy leaving, I'll miss him. Drew had a kind of dry, sarcastic sense of humor that not many other characters have that he pulled off with ease. (With Franco, it seems heavily forced.) And my gargantuan UO is that while Hayden is temporarily in town, I would have loved for those two to interact frequently. Their little scene in the office had tons of chemistry.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You're right, Mac is the consummate good guy.  Jax swerves a bit, and Robert is an asshole IMO.  (obviously my meh about Robert is not a common opinion.  He's shady though.)

Mac is the goodest guy though.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/gh-co-head-writer-retires/

buh bye Shelly. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out...

Bye girl!

I certainly don't expect any kind of change in the writing - O'Connor is a cog in the machine and, while I've cut Van Etten some slack, I'm preeety sure most of that Anna/Faison stuff was him - but I am very happy Shelly Altman is gone, just so I don't have to read her delusional interview bites again about how "groundbreaking" and "progressive" the writing is.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I am very happy Shelly Altman is gone, just so I don't have to read her delusional interview bites again about how "groundbreaking" and "progressive" the writing is.

There is that.

• Love 1