Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Is there anything about Nicholas C filming another role? He took a pretty lengthy break for a popular relative newbie.

I think he took a family trip to Europe. 

1 hour ago, rur said:

Wally could appear on both shows because he was on recurring status on both, which left him free to do other work. It wasn't because of vaccine issues. 

In other news, I think we can mark GH safe from Steve Burton for a while: 

https://www.tvinsider.com/1069048/days-of-our-lives-steve-burton-casting-peacock-general-hospital-vaccine-refusal/

Even if it’s not new news, it still makes me happy! No need for Jason to ever come back, though the show is digging in deep on the Carly loved Jason theme so we know if he did come back that would be the main story. And I don’t think Burton is capable of playing it. 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, racked said:

Even if it’s not new news, it still makes me happy! No need for Jason to ever come back, though the show is digging in deep on the Carly loved Jason theme so we know if he did come back that would be the main story. And I don’t think Burton is capable of playing it. 

Same here. 

There was just one story I ever wanted with him and that was another head trauma with Jason Q back. But that ship has sailed. He's too old and Monica isn't around anyway (or Alan, or AJ, or Robin) so it would be pointless. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, jsbt said:

Hmm:

Didn't this dude try to play the Steve card last year re: vax/quarantine?

Well this is interesting. He def delayed getting vaxxed as long as he could (all his kissing scene with Ava were just the camera angled so we couldn’t see they weren’t making contact) but he did get it eventually. He seemed to be Mo’s new bff so I would be surprised if he suddenly was let go. 

I just looked at his Insta and he’s literally following 0 people. So he didn’t just unfollow his costars. This is probably nothing. 

Edited by racked
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, his Insta might just be glitchy. But it would be interesting if there's something behind it. He seems like he's always trying to get the old guard involved in social media dances and stunts. I just checked and of course he has the dreaded TikTok that screams divorced dad energy.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Yeah, his Insta might just be glitchy. But it would be interesting if there's something behind it. He seems like he's always trying to get the old guard involved in social media dances and stunts. I just checked and of course he has the dreaded TikTok that screams divorced dad energy.

He seems like a fun guy (aside from any weird anti-vax nonsense) I just want TC back. I'm only watching for Trina and Spencer. I swore I'd never watch again after they killed off AJ again so I'm following Sprina on YouTube. I would love to see NAC act opposite TC. No offense to MC but I don't find him to be a very strong actor and I think the kids deserve an onscreen parent who knows their way around a script. It's their chance to learn everything they can about acting and I don't think NAC can get that kind of experience from MC.

• Love 2

I think MC is actually gone because a soap blogger I follow has indicated it.  Last time I mentioned this guy's name someone told me not to bring him up here.  lol.  But he always has the straight poop, so yeah, I think MC's gone.  I wonder if we will ever find out what happened.  Probably not. 

• Useful 3

It kind of sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy, in that MC never felt confident about his work on the soap and the show decided to agree with him. If it's true, and he's out, I hope the show does a better recast than the temp!Nik who filled in earlier this year. He was okay as a last-minute substitution, but I think the show needs to take some care with another recast.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

I may be at a table of one, but I always strongly disliked TC on the show. If MC is gone, I hope they recast with someone totally new to the show.

I loved Tyler on his original run but the last time I saw his Nik (around 2010) he was difficult to watch. Im also not sure he’s stable enough for this daily grind.

I am so curious to know why MC might be gone but I think @CeChase is right and we won’t ever know. I hope the newbie can handle what is a totally bonkers story right now. 

• Like 1

If he's out I assume the reason will leak, especially in this day and age.

I thought Coloma started strong but quickly proved to be mediocre talent when up against some of his regular scene partners. All the antivaxx-adjacent shit didn't help my opinion. It's too bad.

• Like 3
  • Applause 6

I think current Nik and Ava have real chemistry but that's about all I can say for MC. The rest of his interactions are mostly sub-par. But I can't see Tyler with Maura West, either. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Speculation aside, there are a dozen other actors I'd boot from the show before him.  MC doesn't bug me the way he does others. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

I too thought Coloma started strong, and he was never better than in about the first six months, when Nikolas was pursuing his vendetta against Valentin.

Since then, it's been a combination of a bad direction for the character, and the actor falling into a rut. The chemistry with Maura West was good, but the writing for them as a couple hasn't been. 

45 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Speculation aside, there are a dozen other actors I'd boot from the show before him.  MC doesn't bug me the way he does others. 

Same. I can think of at least ten cast members who were never good, or stopped being good quite a while ago, or aren't good in the particular role the show has given them. Whatever the case, I never enjoy their scenes. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I think current Nik and Ava have real chemistry but that's about all I can say for MC. The rest of his interactions are mostly sub-par. But I can't see Tyler with Maura West, either. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

There is no reason for Cody’s existence. Way too many bland men in their age demographic certainly. But if Marcus is gone (and he did just post a video of him and Maurice Bernard in their dressing rooms so I’m not convinced yet) I doubt it’s because TPTB want Nik gone or think he wasn’t up to snuff acting wise. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I've always said a big part of the problem for Nikolas and Ava is the writing and trying to present them as a conventional or heroic romantic couple too often. They are not that. They are morally gray at best, dark people and it's best when the show leans into that, something the Guza team was unafraid of with similar characters in some of its better days. Maura can play the weight of that when it's actually written for her, but Coloma is more superficial.

IMO Maura and TC had chemistry from the jump, and it was obvious Ron had intended to pair them up before being fired and Tyler's subsequent exit/firing. That was also the beginning of the shit with Ava going on about 'always wanting to be a princess' and that schmaltzy crap they often play up with these characters. But no, pairing Maura and Tyler would not concern me. They were in the zone.

Edited by jsbt
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

MO Maura and TC had chemistry from the jump, and it was obvious Ron had intended to pair them up before being fired and Tyler's subsequent exit/firing. That was also the beginning of the shit with Ava going on about 'always wanting to be a princess' and that schmaltzy crap they often play up with these characters. But no, pairing Maura and Tyler would not concern me. They were in the zone.

I was on the barge back then, so have never seen TC/MW together. I should probably look for clips. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jsbt said:

I've always said a big part of the problem for Nikolas and Ava is the writing and trying to present them as a conventional or heroic romantic couple too often. They are not that. They are morally gray at best, dark people and it's best when the show leans into that,

The show is really afraid of giving characters any nuance like this. It's a big problem on the show. A soap needs all kinds of characters, and the GH writers refuse to provide that. There hasn't been a genuine Big Bad in years. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, tessaray said:

I was on the barge back then, so have never seen TC/MW together. I should probably look for clips. 

I was watching, but there wasn't a lot to go on, so I didn't form an impression. They were on a plane together and bantered a little, and then Nick Stabile played out the bulk of the story. Stabile might have been a good AJ, but I didn't like him as temp Nik at all. He looked more like Laura's brother (there's about eight years between him and Genie Francis).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

When the vax mandate happened, there were rumors that MC and the Brando actor were last minute holdouts and only got it after their exemption requests (same ones IR and SBu tried to get) were denied. Nikolas was getting set up with exit writing as well with everything regarding Hayden until that was dropped overnight. Now that’s probably just a coincidence because they’re also terrible actors but you never know if that annoyed TPTB. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

When the vax mandate happened, there were rumors that MC and the Brando actor were last minute holdouts and only got it after their exemption requests (same ones IR and SBu tried to get) were denied. Nikolas was getting set up with exit writing as well with everything regarding Hayden and until that was dropped overnight. Now that’s probably just a coincidence because they’re also terrible actors but you know know if that annoyed TPTB. 

That's a really good point.  I do remember the bloggers saying Marcus and Johnny didn't want to vax, but they both caved late in the game.  Burton and Ingo refused and were let go.  Now both Marcus and Johnny are gone.  Maybe they really f'd around and it was just a matter of TPTB biding their time.  But in Marcus' case I just have this vibe that it was something else BTS involving Maura.  She definitely didn't want to kiss him when he was unvaxed, and that showed onscreen.  Who knows where that tension went.  Maybe it didn't go away.  Maybe there was more shit.  Of course my petty self would love to know!

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, CeChase said:

That's a really good point.  I do remember the bloggers saying Marcus and Johnny didn't want to vax, but they both caved late in the game.  Burton and Ingo refused and were let go.  Now both Marcus and Johnny are gone.  Maybe they really f'd around and it was just a matter of TPTB biding their time.  But in Marcus' case I just have this vibe that it was something else BTS involving Maura.  She definitely didn't want to kiss him when he was unvaxed, and that showed onscreen.  Who knows where that tension went.  Maybe it didn't go away.  Maybe there was more shit.  Of course my petty self would love to know!

The Brando actor went so far as to publicly praise SBu for standing up for his convictions and said he wished he had been brave enough to do the same. Seemed in bad taste to air his grievances that way since he intended to stay. Maybe they can all join Steve over on Days. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, CeChase said:

I do remember the bloggers saying Marcus and Johnny didn't want to vax, but they both caved late in the game. 

Carolyn Hennesy's name came up in those rumors too. 

10 hours ago, ciarra said:

I hope they don't hire TempNik.  He was awful.

I felt the same, but I don't think there's any danger of that. If they get rid of Coloma but keep Nikolas around, they'll probably aim higher. That guy just screamed "emergency fill-in."

I thought the Temp Michael who kept popping in and out was bad too.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
56 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

I thought the Temp Michael who kept popping in and out was bad too.

At least that guy was a soap vet. The latest Nik sub just seemed like a guy who wandered in off the street. 

Nikolas Cassadine is a hard role to cast at the best of times. Core legacy characters always are.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I was watching, but there wasn't a lot to go on, so I didn't form an impression. They were on a plane together and bantered a little, and then Nick Stabile played out the bulk of the story. Stabile might have been a good AJ, but I didn't like him as temp Nik at all. He looked more like Laura's brother (there's about eight years between him and Genie Francis).

Nick Stabile was a middle aged American soccer dad. He was cute on Sunset Beach 20+ years ago but he was not Nikolas.

On 12/13/2022 at 9:27 PM, Fellaway said:

I may be at a table of one, but I always strongly disliked TC on the show. If MC is gone, I hope they recast with someone totally new to the show.

I’m at that table with you. In fact, I’ve loved every recast of Nikolas more than TC’s version of the character. Oddly enough, I dislike the TC version because of how snobby and arrogant he always was. I get that that makes sense for the character but he was always obnoxious to me. I really couldn’t stand TC/Nik. I loved Coltin Scott’s Nik though. I also liked Nick Stabile and Marcus. I’ve missed the temp recast. 

Anyway, I really like MC so I hope he’s not gone. That said, they’ve really taken a hammer to the character with this Esme mess so I’m done with all things Nik for the foreseeable future anyway! If I was watching, I would be FFing/muting his mess of a story! 

Edited by lala2
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I really like MC, too. And it’s not just because he’s hot. (Although that doesn’t hurt.) I don’t think he’s a bad actor, at least not by soap standards, and I buy him as someone who grew up in privilege and was raised to be arrogant and self-centered. TC never seemed comfortable in the role, and I never bought him as a “prince”. Instead of coming off as regal and haughty, he just seemed slouchy, lumbering and grumpy.

My Nik rankings:

• 5. Coltin Scott: hated him. Wrong in every way
  • 4. Recent Temp: no, no, no. But at least he didn’t stick around as long as Coltin Scott.
  • 3. Tyler Christopher
  • 2. Nick Stabile: Wrong physically, but he brought something to the role that I really liked. I thought his acting was good, and he paired well with Ava. I know I’m pretty much alone in this, but before MC was cast, I was hoping he’d return.
  • 1. Marcus: because of the above and also great chemistry with Ava. MW may not miss him, but I certainly will.

I do hope they cast very carefully, because Nik/ Ava has been a highlight of the show for me, and I want that to continue. Also, Maura deserves a worthy screen partner.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 12/17/2022 at 4:08 PM, 30 Helens said:

My Nik rankings:

• 5. Coltin Scott: hated him. Wrong in every way
  • 4. Recent Temp: no, no, no. But at least he didn’t stick around as long as Coltin Scott.
  • 3. Tyler Christopher
  • 2. Nick Stabile: Wrong physically, but he brought something to the role that I really liked. I thought his acting was good, and he paired well with Ava. I know I’m pretty much alone in this, but before MC was cast, I was hoping he’d return.
  • 1. Marcus: because of the above and also great chemistry with Ava. MW may not miss him, but I certainly will.

I remember liking Chris Beetem, who covered when TC was having surgery in 2005. I think Nikolas's arm was in a cast for continuity purposes (?). The Courtney relationship was going on then, and there was a get-together with those two and Liz and Lucky (Vaughan's version); that's one scene I remember him playing. But I understand him being forgotten. Brief and a long time ago. 

It's hard for me to rank. I thought Tyler Christopher was all over the place over 20 years, from really good to really bad. Everything about him varied, and he was the longest-serving by such a wide margin. Anyway, it's an even split for me: Out of six, I generally liked three (TC, Coloma, and Beetem) and disliked three (the others). Stabile was the best of the three I didn't like. He seemed like a decent actor who, in some other spot on the show, I would have been able to enjoy. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I remember liking Chris Beetem,

THAT's who I was thinking of when I was trying to remember all the recasts. I really liked him and he was/is a good actor, because I LOATHED his character in the last season of JAG, as a supposed replacement for Harm. As if Harm was that arrogant and didn't follow the law or rules.

I think Tyler was good when he first joined the show. I don't know when that changed. When he and SWSNBN started their affair? I know I was ready for him to leave and then so happy when he returned; then hated him again during the affair with Elizabeth.

But his chemistry with Jonathan Jackson was wonderful, and those two were so believable as brothers who hated each other and then became friends, and everything else that came after.

I hated, hated HATED Coltin Scott. Never saw Stabile, and Marcus is...well, the regime just really amped up the DUMBING DOWN of Nik.

• Like 3

They say he's been written out as Nik, but that's unclear if the character will be off the canvas for a while or that it's only Colona who will no longer appear.

14 minutes ago, CeChase said:

he refused to film his final scenes

I get it, but it's also unprofessional. It's not as if his final scenes had him dressing up as a maid in the Q mansion. I presume. Ahem.

• LOL 6

I’m not a fan of MC’s acting at all and not sorry he’s gone but I also don’t blame him for not filming his final scenes. I just remember what they did with WDV and how they not only had Julian slowly dying for weeks but made sure everyone in his life told him how horrible he was while Sonny got to smugly look down on him. I can’t imagine that was fun for the actor or even interesting to play. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

It’s official, MC is out. Daytime Confidential is reliable when it comes to casting changes

The article just says he's out; but speculation among the commenters is that his contract was up, and they either didn't renew or wanted him on recurring and that's why he refused to film his final scenes. A lot of comparison with Finola's firing back in '92, though the comparison is apples to oranges.

Nothing about the character being gone, just Coloma out as Nik. I shuddered at the comments wanting the most recent temp casting dude, who looked more like a goon/thug than a Prince to become permanent.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Whew. It sounds as though there's an interesting story here, which I hope trickles out eventually. 

That said...well, it's never easy to step in and play a character who's been around for decades, as even experienced soap stars such as Greg Vaughan and Billy Miller have seen. Some liked MC's interpretation and some didn't. I do think he tried hard, and I remember how he always said gracious things about his co-stars: Maura, Ingo, Becky, Genie, Rebecca Budig, others. I'll have worse memories of some of the writing choices for Nikolas in 2020-22 than I will have of the way he responded to them. 

I personally think playing out those final scenes and going out on a good note would have been the smarter play, but I wish him luck on whatever is next. I have no idea what I should be hoping for with regard to the future of Nikolas. I hope not Adam Huss on contract. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

These temp goons don't do it for me. I'd inquire about Tyler if he's well enough but if he's not up for it there's many that can step in (not known con man CSSM).

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, ffwbe said:

It’s official, MC is out. Daytime Confidential is reliable when it comes to casting changes

Aw, that's too bad given he was in the role for 3 years. But refusing to film your final scenes is not really professional

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 3