Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Pops

Yay!  We get our Trixie fix!  I thought nothing could be better than Trixie and Lucifer until I got to see Trixie and Mazikeen.  Yes, Maze is a demon who is completely okay with serving alcohol to troubled 8 year old girls.  Loved Trixie's ambitions President of Mars or zookeeper.  I think Trixie woul make an awesome Martian President.  So is Kevin Alejandro dead again?  Oh please God or Satan or Great Cthulhu please let this show be renewed for next season.

• Love 9

Trixie and Maze were so much fun. I am not a fan of kids on this type of show usually but kudos to the casting people for finding one who is absolutely adorable.

Also, I so wish we could have seen the adventures of drunk Maze and Dr Linda. I bet it was all kinds of fun.

I hope Dan isn't dead because I'd like to see Kevin Alejandro live for once but I have to say I totally agree with Lucifers assessment of Detective Douche.

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 7

First and foremost, what in the world did Rebecca De Mornay do to herself?! If I didn't know that was her from the credits and seeing it online I don't know if I would have recognized her. Wow.

I kind of hope Maze is playing something with going to Linda, even though I like the interaction. If both Lucifer and Maze change by the end of the season it's too much! Maze and Trixie was fun but I feel g***** out of more Lucifer/Trixie.

...Poor Kevin Alejandro?

Another episode where the character interactions saved the fact that the case was rather dull, I called it early on.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 6

Maze and Trixie was fun but I feel g***** out of more Lucifer/Trixie.

...Poor Kevin Alejandro?

Another episode where the character interactions saved the fact that the case was rather dull, I called it early on.

I swear Malcolm said "sleepy time" or something similar about Dan and also, why would he bother sending Chloe a 'break up' text if he'd just killed the guy?  So I suspect Dan is still alive, just in HOOOOOOTTTT water!

I agree that this episode the case was dull and the 'day actors' felt more like props to the main cast (as opposed to Father Frank last week) but I had such a good time watching Maze/Linda and Trixie/Maze and Lucifer/Chloe/Dan that I honestly didn't mind the case, I was having too much fun with the characters.

Yes it was a little anvilicious, all the father/son, mother/daughter, parent/child going on as framing for Lucifer and his "Daddy" issues but when Chloe called him out, point blank on that, I figured we were in for that kind of episode.  As anvilicious as it was, particularly the Sous Chef/Amenadiel vs Father/Favorite Son angle I'm sold on looking forward to what it's developing for the end of the season.  And I agree, Second Season please FOX!!

The last bit, with drunk Chloe and Lucifer behaving himself IN SPITE of himself was predictable but at the same time Ellis and German made it adorable so I was okay with the predictable.  His little "Oh God" at the end ... Luci you are so in over your head, just close your eyes and think WWTD (What Would Trixie Do).

I'll admit, while I can usually follow the more subtle stuff the writers throw down, I was confused by the restaurant fire escape.  I mean, they were supposedly in a dire situation, Lucifer got Chloe out and had her head covered so she couldn't see any "powers" at play but yet he ended up getting burned in the process.  So I'm not sure what to think.  Did he not get burned as badly as a mortal would?  Is that why he carried Chloe rather than letting her stay on her own feet, he was still throwing out some sort of shielding, or ... what?  I feel like something got left on the cutting room floor that would have explained what they were going for with that.

Oh and who was it who was looking for INXS "Devil Inside"?  We got it this episode! :D  As always the music for this show was spot on!

• Love 10

I thought this episode was fun and loved all the characters interacting with one another. Especially Maze and Trixie. Although I was a bit aghast that Maze was going to let Trixie drink but then I reminded myself that she is a demon, heh.

Also, I loved Maze walking into the therapist's office and declaring she had made a friend. An 8 year old!

And I laughed out loud when Chloe tried to kiss Lucifer but he stopped her much to his own dismay and amazement. I knew it was going to play out that way but still found it ridiculously amusing.

Renew this show Fox. I want a season 2!

• Love 9

First and foremost, what in the world did Rebecca De Mornay do to herself?! If I didn't know that was her from the credits and seeing it online I don't know if I would have recognized her. Wow.

That's who that was?!  OMG.  I was going to look it up because I couldn't figure it out.  I can't imagine what her doctor was thinking.  She looks like an entirely different person.  WTF?

As for the episode, I kept thinking about how cute Trixie was and how much the actress looked like she could be Kevin Alejandro's child.  I actually like Dan and think that Lucifer is such an over the top smary ass and that he'd have to the Devil for his pick up lines to work. 

• Love 1

Amenadiel  will be making Trixie make Lucifer go back to Hell, if he can get her to like him. Which in his current moods, may not be easy for him.

Maze/Trixie '16!  Maze would of course be the ideal Veep and President Trixie will be the one to save us all, even Lucifer. Even Amenadude.

Doctor Linda/ Mazikeen will be fun, if the show keeps showing it to us. It may be that Maze has been so edgy and hedonistic and whatever for so long, that maybe something simple is edgy again to her? She's very disdainful of "normal"; I'd like Dr. Linda to ask Mazikeen what "normal" equals to her.  We've seen Maze's true shape before; maybe having Trixie and possibly Dr. Linda as friends is something she figures is not in the cards for her? 

While I'm not Det. Dan's fan, he shouldn't die, or at least not by that guy.  I was surprised that Malcolm didn't come back to Dan's "Go to hell" with a "Already been there", or something like that. Also, I was surprised that Amenadiel didn't go all Mazikeen and stop the fighting and gun-drawing.  Especially since Dan figured out most of the problem.  I don't remember the previews, if any, so if there wasn't? I'm concerned for Det. Douche.

How thin-skinned is Chloe's mom if she leaves early the next morning after a couple of verbal arguments? To be clear, I'm not advocating hanging around an emotionally toxic scene, but after the calm apology, and Chloe looking and sounding like she genuinely wanted her mom to stay a little longer, why not?  The woman may have blown off an audition to look for her granddaughter, so she can skip another 48 hours of job hustling. Besides, I was hoping to see more of Dan and Lucifer being nice to Penelope.

Maze's Shirley Temple amused me greatly. I may have to ask for her version the next time I'm out.

• Love 1

That's who that was?!  OMG.  I was going to look it up because I couldn't figure it out.  I can't imagine what her doctor was thinking.  She looks like an entirely different person.  WTF?

I was shocked when I saw online she was playing Chloe's mom and they showed a still pic from the episode I googled other searches about it just to double check! I'm baffled by people who think looking like a different person is somehow better than looking like the older version of yourself... IMO people that do stuff like that get talked about more in a negative way than actors/actresses that are letting themselves age naturally even if that's not turning out too great.

• Love 3
Gigi43, on 28 Mar 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

Frankly, who cares about the case? I loved what this episode did for the characters. I enjoy this kind of "exploring mortality/humans" a lot more than what they did with the jealousy thing. I felt that was too obvious and thrust into our faces. But this, Lucifer finding himself confronted with someone who he thinks is like him and then finding out he's not and the suble hints that maybe Lucifer got it all wrong about his father, loved that!

johntfs, on 28 Mar 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:

So is Kevin Alejandro dead again?  Oh please God or Satan or Great Cthulhu please let this show be renewed for next season.

I have my doubts he's dead. It kind of feels like they're setting him up to save the day later on or Malcolm sets him up in a different kind of way but I guess we'll see.

I'll admit, while I can usually follow the more subtle stuff the writers throw down, I was confused by the restaurant fire escape.  I mean, they were supposedly in a dire situation, Lucifer got Chloe out and had her head covered so she couldn't see any "powers" at play but yet he ended up getting burned in the process.  So I'm not sure what to think.  Did he not get burned as badly as a mortal would?  Is that why he carried Chloe rather than letting her stay on her own feet, he was still throwing out some sort of shielding, or ... what?  I feel like something got left on the cutting room floor that would have explained what they were going for with that.

I agree. It was really hard to understand what they wanted to tell us with that. And why wasn't Chloe more puzzled? They basically got out of a burning building unharmed. And I'd really have loved to see more that scene because come on. Fire is Lucifer's element, isn't it? And why wasn't Chloe coughing from smoke inhalation?

Maze and Trixie is priceless! Maze and the therapist is also a pretty cool combination. Hope we get more of that and more episodes like this one in general!

• Love 3

TRIXIE!

So, best episode so far. Because there was Trixie and she was so adorable. "Lucifer cheers me up" awww.

But boo for teasing some Trixifer and we got almost none.

I really like Maze when she drops the aggressive act and pretense. I loved her with Trixie and also with Dr Linda.

Is Malcolm going to let Dan go free, whereas he showed how far he was ready to go to stop him? I thought he killed him, was setting up a disappearance, and would have the truth about the shooting revealed in order to explain it. Maybe he didn't, will keep him in a dungeon and will frame him for (attempted, I guess it will fail) murder against Lucifer.

Lucifer continues to be a riot, I love Chloe, and their partnership-friendship truly found its stride for me. I certainly hope the show will be renewed because it's a great, entertaining watch every week.

• Love 4

Did anyone else think that this episode was edited badly? There were a few hard breaks that just confused me as a viewer. Definitely the fire and then Chloe showing up drunk to Lucifer's place --rather quickly based on a wayward text. Rebecca DeMorney OMG, she did not look good.  I didn't even recognize her for a bit. That wig was not good. Whomever thought of putting Trixie and and Maze together, wow, magic.  But overall this was a snoozer.  I really didn't care about the mystery and I know they were going for Luci learning something about his dad but it fell flat for me.  I did like the hint that Lucifer could be turning into dad.

I am a little confused about Chloe. She seemed too level headed to show up to Luci's drunk. Are they trying to imply that she is attracted to Luci after all her protestations or did she just need a friend?

Still though, the last three episodes look good and I guess we have confirmation with the fire that things other than Chloe can hurt Luci.

How did Chloe make it over to Lucifer club being so drunk?  Did she use uber??

What building in LA is Lucifer club in, they always show the outside of it.  Its white and kind of looks like just the top of the empire state building? 

I love how Trixie refused the offer of a large glass of hard liquor so politely.  Like when someone offer you a drink way to early in the day and you need to get out of it someone how!

Love Maze when she told Dr. Linda the sex thing.  She just starts coming over the table with that come hither looks in her eye!

Glad mom visit will be random and short.  But why did she tell the police at the crime seem that she was her Chloe sister and not mother??

Dan is ALIVE.  Watch the show more closely people!  Bad detective told Dan go to sleep and than checks him to make sure he was still alive and than Dan move a bit on his own just to sure us he still alive!!!  I guess no more meeting with Dan and bad detective in dark alley for donuts and operational orders!  Glad that over!

Did the angel tell Bad Detective to get a gun from the property room to kill Lucifer OR did bad detective come up with that idea on his own?

Edited by gwhh

That dinner was not as deliciously awkward as I had hoped. Oh well, Tom Ellis in a Kiss the Cook apron made up for it, as did Maze's interactions with both Trixie and Dr. Linda and Lucifer starstruck by/hitting on Chloe's mom.

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 3

Are they purposely being coy about whether or not Lucifer can really get hurt or are we to assume he definitely can and that it's just a coincidence he's been with Chloe when injured?  

• Love 2

Fun episode, as many of you have said, mostly for the character notes. 

I am at a loss for the whole escape the restaurant inferno thing-- when Chloes sees Luci at the ambulance, she thanks him for getting her out, he demurs, and then she says something like:  What?  No 'thanks for saving me first'?  No clue if that's about this particular scene or if it's supposed to be a larger concept.  Also, it rang a little Pretty Woman for me.

On the fence about the Maze developments.  She's a demon, not a fallen angel.  Her evolution seems a lot less likely and even unnecessary than Lucifer's quest to actually divorce himself from the destiny his Father established for him.  Maybe she feels compelled to find a better skin to fit into this world so she can stay in step with Lucifer, which would make sense.  But even without any clear sense of her motivation, I adore her with Dr. Linda.  From their first meeting, the "sex" comment, the joy on Dr. Linda's face when Maze said she made a friend, and the gentle suggestion about drinking-age pals-- all gold.

Same with Trixie and Maze-- but something about that scene made me think we are going to see some horrible stuff from Maze soon to keep the demon-side of her alive and kicking, which may be necessary as a balance to Luci's trajectory.  The actress who plays Trixie is perfect-- President of Mars, indeed.

I don't think Dan is dead-- despite the deep shadows, it did look like Malcolm checked his pulse and that Dan kind of rolled a bit on his own.  Going to get messy, and I like how the show has built in this overlapping Venn of Dan's crap into the central story about Luci and Chloe.  Seriously, I would like poor Kevin to get a chance to work this character.

Ms. German plays a fine drunk-- and I think it's totally in character for her to lash out with booze and a trip to what she thought was a Sure Thing to help recover from Dan's text break-up.  Remember how she looked at Luci when he walked into the room naked?  After the initial embarrassment, she was eyeing that man like he was a 6 foot tall lollipop.  And rightly so.

Please approve a Season 2, Fox.  This is getting interesting.

• Love 3
Lion, on 29 Mar 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

Are they purposely being coy about whether or not Lucifer can really get hurt or are we to assume he definitely can and that it's just a coincidence he's been with Chloe when injured?  

I was thinking the same, that even though he got injured, he was with Chloe and was having physical contact with her, so it seems like we're still none the wiser.

• Love 2

I like this show a lot, but they really need to explain Lucifer's powers and the lack of them as the plot dictates apparently.   I wanted to watch this show about a superpowered Lucifer, not a charming British cad who occasionally seems to be able to hypnotize people to reveal stuff.  

• Love 4
I am at a loss for the whole escape the restaurant inferno thing-- when Chloes sees Luci at the ambulance, she thanks him for getting her out, he demurs, and then she says something like:  What?  No 'thanks for saving me first'?  No clue if that's about this particular scene or if it's supposed to be a larger concept.  Also, it rang a little Pretty Woman for me

This is how I saw it.

She pushed him out of the way before the fire started if I remember correctly. He owes her one

He carried her out of the burning building. She owes him one.

It is not a sticking point; I loved the interactions with Maze, but how did Trixie get to the bar so quickly? 

• Love 2
Glad mom visit will be random and short.  But why did she tell the police at the crime seem that she was her Chloe sister and not mother??

Vanity.

Love Maze this episode, both with Trixie and with Dr. Linda.  I hope we see more of Maze and Linda.

It is not a sticking point; I loved the interactions with Maze, but how did Trixie get to the bar so quickly?

She used her mother's Uber account and ordered a car. 

• Love 3

Not even the spawns of hell are immune to the adorableness of Trixie! I really loved the scenes with Maze, and I like that it seems like she is growing, and trying to find some purpose beyond "Lucifers lacky". Dr. Linda is a great therapist, so I am hoping we get to see more of her and Maze. I think she could really help. Dr. Linda: So good, even demons vouch for her. 

Something I find interesting about the characterization of Lucifer is how much he connects and feels for people connected to the case. Like, how he seemed to legitimately feel really bad for that pick up artist guy a few weeks ago, then his friendship with Father Frank, and here, with the dead Chefs son. He really connects with people, more even than your average cop character. Maybe because he find humanity to be fascinating? 

Chloe has grown on me, I think as the actress has been given some more angels to play. She was actually pretty likable here, she had a lightness and fun that has been missing, when I felt like she was more of the boring, self riotous foil to Lucifer. Although I will say, I do kind of wish the corrupt cop had turned out to not be corrupt, and Chloe was just straight up wrong about him. It would have been an interesting beet to have a main character be just completely wrong about something that big.  

• Love 2

I like this show a lot, but they really need to explain Lucifer's powers and the lack of them as the plot dictates apparently.    

Agreed. At the very least some indication about what was/is with regard to Hell and here, and whether any changes are his choice or merely a result of something else (location, metamorphosis, God's pissed, whatever). I can see why they might hide the reveal on the immortality question, but surely he had powers in Hell beyond super-strength and the desire hocus-pocus.

• Love 2
Unclejosh, on 29 Mar 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

I like this show a lot, but they really need to explain Lucifer's powers and the lack of them as the plot dictates apparently.   I wanted to watch this show about a superpowered Lucifer, not a charming British cad who occasionally seems to be able to hypnotize people to reveal stuff.  

Agreed! I wonder if they keep cutting that - they did cut a scene which made it more clear which wings he burned, so they might cut things which would explain the power, too. It seems that they don't realize that it gets more confusing the longer they don't explain it.

• Love 1

While I'm not Det. Dan's fan, he shouldn't die, or at least not by that guy.  I was surprised that Malcolm didn't come back to Dan's "Go to hell" with a "Already been there", or something like that. Also, I was surprised that Amenadiel didn't go all Mazikeen and stop the fighting and gun-drawing.  Especially since Dan figured out most of the problem.  I don't remember the previews, if any, so if there wasn't? I'm concerned for Det. Douche.

What confuses me is why Malcolm is even agreeing to be bad and do more evil things. He's written in contradictions. Is he smarmy and happy to be evil and do terrible things, or is he terrified of hell? Which is it? I don't see how someone who has seen the horrors of hell could even pretend to be cool with continuing a path that would take him right back there.

I know Amenadiel (spelling?) is forcing him to kill Lucifer upon threat of going back to hell, but does Malcolm have an agreement with Amenadiel that if he kills Lucifer, he'll be able to go to heaven instead? Otherwise, what's the point? And if that's the case (that Amenadiel has promised to get him into heaven), I don't understand how they're writing Amenadiel. Because included in God's Commandments is "Thou Shalt Not Kill" - even though Amenadiel isn't pulling the trigger himself, he's still complicit by plotting to kill Lucifer. He's also being destructive with the lives of others (including what his using of Malcolm will do to Dan's life and as a result Chloe's life and Trixie's life, etc.). So, is God "cool" with that kind of behavior? Or is Amenadiel doing this of his own volition and assuming that when he puts things back to what he considers balanced, that God will somehow be fine with what he's done?

• Love 1

I want to know how Trixie found out where Lucifer lives/works. I can't exactly see him volunteering his address in between attempts to get away from her. Google? Is Trixie stalking the Devil in her spare time?!

ETA: I've gotten the impression Amenadiel has told Malcolm he can make sure he ends up in Heaven if he does what he's told, in the scene at the diner.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 4

Side note to storyskip: I believe it was  Sonja who wondered when they'd use INXS's "Devil Inside" song, though I definitely seconded that usage! As soon as the song started playing the background, I said, "Yes! Finally!" I actually think I like that song better than "Sympathy for the Devil," so it was great that they used it. I wonder how many songs are out there that reference the devil, before they run out of options? Have we suggested "Devil Went Down To Georgia" yet? *GRIN*

• Love 3

I want to know how Trixie found out where Lucifer lives/works. I can't exactly see him volunteering his address in between attempts to get away from her. Google? Is Trixie stalking the Devil in her spare time?!

I assumed mom and dad must say things like "I was at Lux" or "I am going to Lux to see Lucifer."  Trixie could have just told the driver she wanted to go to Lux, not even knowing what it was. What I want to know, what kind of Uber driver just picks up an 8 year old and delivers her to a bar on the strip.  Chloe might want to look into that in an official capacity.

Something that is bothering me and I am not sure how much longer I will be able to ignore it... Lucifer has a serious delusional belief set that, I can't see how Chloe can really just continue to ignore if, indeed, she thinks he is insane.  It seems like at some point the show will have to Shite or get off the pot on this issue. Either Lucifer is who he says he is or is has a deep mental issue.  I am hoping the finale resolves it substantially.

On his lacking powers at the moment I am ok with it because I believe the show is saving their money. As long as something substantial happens in the final episodes I would be ok with them saving money on the filler.

• Love 2

I keep wondering the same thing. We know Lucifer is quite sane, honest and rather restrained. But from Chloe's perspective she should see him as a delusional psycopath with violent tendancies. Why is she ignoring this?

• Love 3

I wonder if she just thinks he's the troublesome (mischievous) type to "mess" with her, and that underneath it, he's really talking about his own life but treating it metaphorically (as if his dad is God) because he's a drama queen? She may also think he's troubled underneath it all, and she wants to keep an eye on him.

But I agree, after a while, it will strain credibility if she sees things and just keeps brushing them off or explaining them away. It's like Scully on The X-Files. After all she'd seen, sometimes you wanted to smack her upside the head for still giving Mulder a hard time when it came to supernatural stuff as if it were all impossible. Some things really couldn't be explained any other way, no matter how much science she had on her side.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4

That's definitely something that needs to be addressed, sooner rather than later.  It's one thing for the therapist to ignore it in favor of therapeutic technique (and even when she's ignoring it, she's still actually addressed it).  It's another thing entirely for someone like Chloe to routinely ignore all of the things Lucifer says and does.  She should be shocked when someone his size picks up a large man by the neck with just one hand.  She should be very concerned that her partner, as far as she knows, is clinically insane.  That she doesn't seem to notice, care or comment on it damages Chloe as a character.  I love love love love this show, but they simply cannot keep me as a viewer (if it's renewed!) if they don't touch on Chloe's ignoring this troublesome behavior as well as whether or not Lucifer's immortality really has disappeared. 

• Love 2
But from Chloe's perspective she should see him as a delusional psycopath with violent tendancies. Why is she ignoring this?

Not just ignoring it but welcoming him into her life. If I were Chloe, seeing Lucifer the way she does, I would get a restraining order to keep him the hell away from my eight year old daughter. Did it even dawn on her that if she were a minute later to the bar her daughter would be chugging straight whiskey? I do like that Chloe seems to be lightening up a little (thank god, (sorry Luci) because she was such a pill) but she needs her freaking head examined because she is choosing to spend time with a man she thinks is insane and knows is clearly violent and dangerous.

I would watch the shit out of "Making Friends with Mazakeen". I could care less about the case of the week or the family dinner but I was riveted by every scene with Maz trying to make friends. And she has clearly got great taste. Dr. Linda and Trixie! Can those three get a spin-off. Maybe Luci and Chloe run off together and leave Maz in charge of the bar, raising little Trixie and continuing to confuse Dr. Linda's therapy sessions as invitations to have sex.

I am interested in the fact that Maz is finally realizing Luci isn't going back. (still hate that is it so heavily implied that it is because of Chloe. She had seriously better be some angel's love child or something because she is not worth changing for), And she is trying to find a way to cope. Yeah she's a demon, but she's also stuck here among us tedious humans. It makes sense she'd want to find some way to make it tolerable. And her and Trixie and her and Dr. Linda? More please!

And holy shit! That was Rebecca de Mornay? WTF happened to her? She was absolutely stunning before. I couldn't hear anything she was saying because I was so distracted trying to see the old Rebecca in there somewhere. It is so sad that women feel they have to do that to themselves. She had the kind of beauty that would grow old beautifully.

• Love 3

Not just ignoring it but welcoming him into her life. If I were Chloe, seeing Lucifer the way she does, I would get a restraining order to keep him the hell away from my eight year old daughter. Did it even dawn on her that if she were a minute later to the bar her daughter would be chugging straight whiskey? I do like that Chloe seems to be lightening up a little (thank god, (sorry Luci) because she was such a pill) but she needs her freaking head examined because she is choosing to spend time with a man she thinks is insane and knows is clearly violent and dangerous.

To be fair I think Luci would do handsprings of joy if Chloe got a restraining order that kept Trixie away from him.  

Think about it, Luci has never come near Trixie deliberately.  The first time he came to the house, he knocked on the door (and yes invited himself on in) but was interacting with Chloe, when Trixie showed up.  The second time, Trixie had left the house with her Dad before Lucifer showed up and started to cook breakfast, then came back.  Even this last time, when he invited himself over, it was when Trixie wasn't around.

Trixie decided to leave the ground zero of an argument going on between two people she loves (her Mom and her Grandmother), use her mother's Uber account and travel to the club/house of someone who "cheers her up" says more about her home life than it does about Lucifer.  Not to imply that Chloe is a bad parent, she's portrayed as trying her best but it doesn't really appear like the most comfortable of situations for an 8 year old who is obviously so used to hearing adults fighting around her that she knows when to stick her fingers in her ears.

• Love 3

Did it even dawn on her that if she were a minute later to the bar her daughter would be chugging straight whiskey?

LOL! I know! I kept waiting for her to look down and then glare at Maze and say, "Were you about to give my daughter ALCOHOL?? She's EIGHT!" And then bitch about it to Lucifer. Or even just say something to Maze about it for comic relief. But she said nothing at all, which was not only weird but seemed to be missing an opportunity for more humor between Maze and Chloe.

And holy shit! That was Rebecca de Mornay? WTF happened to her? She was absolutely stunning before. I couldn't hear anything she was saying because I was so distracted trying to see the old Rebecca in there somewhere. It is so sad that women feel they have to do that to themselves. She had the kind of beauty that would grow old beautifully.

I saw her name in the credits, and then I kept staring at the woman playing Chloe's mom, shaking my head, wondering what it was that had changed her face so much. Was it just age (as Renee Zellweger is trying to claim) or did she have too much collagen added to her cheekbones or her face, or something? I have no idea what's up but it seems like she's lost her own self. Even people who gain weight and shift with age, you can still see the essence of them in their facial structure and in their eyes, but the only thing that made me recognize her even a little was the eyes. The rest was so different. It makes me sad. (Not because actresses shouldn't age, not because women shouldn't have plastic surgery of any kind, but because she seems to have done something deliberate to her face that altered it too much, to the point where she's not her lovely, unique self anymore. That's really sad to me.)

I would watch the shit out of "Making Friends with Mazakeen"

Now I'm picturing Maze sitting lazily in a chair, drinking her whiskey, gazing at each "contestant" as they come in to make their case to be her friend. And when someone walks in that she doesn't even like the look of, she'll just say darkly, "No. Get out," without even giving them the chance to speak. LOL.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4
sinkwriter, on 29 Mar 2016 - 5:54 PM, said:

What confuses me is why Malcolm is even agreeing to be bad and do more evil things. He's written in contradictions. Is he smarmy and happy to be evil and do terrible things, or is he terrified of hell? Which is it? I don't see how someone who has seen the horrors of hell could even pretend to be cool with continuing a path that would take him right back there.

I know Amenadiel (spelling?) is forcing him to kill Lucifer upon threat of going back to hell, but does Malcolm have an agreement with Amenadiel that if he kills Lucifer, he'll be able to go to heaven instead? Otherwise, what's the point? And if that's the case (that Amenadiel has promised to get him into heaven), I don't understand how they're writing Amenadiel. Because included in God's Commandments is "Thou Shalt Not Kill" - even though Amenadiel isn't pulling the trigger himself, he's still complicit by plotting to kill Lucifer. He's also being destructive with the lives of others (including what his using of Malcolm will do to Dan's life and as a result Chloe's life and Trixie's life, etc.). So, is God "cool" with that kind of behavior? Or is Amenadiel doing this of his own volition and assuming that when he puts things back to what he considers balanced, that God will somehow be fine with what he's done?

I think that exactly is the point - that by wanting to get Lucifer back to hell, Amenadiel is falling himself and crossing lines. He's probably all about "the bigger picture" and the endgame justifies the means and he probably also thinks that he's restoring the balance and it's not really killing since Lucifer is an angel and all that and he's losing himself in the process. Which I think is done on purpose, too. Though that is just my impression.

• Love 6
Did it even dawn on her that if she were a minute later to the bar her daughter would be chugging straight whiskey?

I am pretending Chloe knew it would do no good to say anything to Maze and Lucifer about it, so decided to save her breath.

I loved the whole thing with Maze pouring her a drink and then adding the Shirley Temple cherry to it - thought that was hilarious.  My guess is Trixie might have taken a sip and turned it away - alcohol does not taste good to kids used to juice and soda and milk.  I do not see her chugging down whiskey!

• Love 2

Damn, I love this show. Sheer entertainment. And the Maze/Trixie alignment was perfect. I love Trixie's lack of fear--or maybe she sees right through these big ol' baddies? :)

One of my favorite parts was at the beginning with "The Devil Inside" playing. There's Luci putting the final tendrils of seduction into place--the strawberry is tasted--absolute pleasure achieved--and then his prey says, "Oh, god!"

Music: Screeching record-needle halt
Luci: YOU JUST HAD TO BRING UP MY DAD. YOU RUINED EVERYTHING

Chloe: Lucifer, what the hell are you doing

And then you see there's a freakin' crime scene just off to the side this whole time.

Fabulous.

Edited by HouseofBeck
  • Love 7

Is that a Shirley Temple?

The bar scene was gold. 

Apparently, I wasn't the only one trying to find Rebecca De Mornay in Rebecca De Mornay's face. 

I don't think Detective Douchebag is dead either. 

Does anyone else think that the reason Lucifer doesn't have any effect on Chloe is because they might be related in some way?

Edited by Commando Cody
Does anyone else think that the reason Lucifer doesn't have any effect on Chloe is because they might be related in some way?

I kind of hope so because, while I have warmed up to the idea of them being buddies, I still just do not see enough chemistry to buy them as a couple. Let alone how terrible it would be for a mortal woman to have an actual relationship with satan. I mean, he might be charming and good looking but he's the fucking devil! No woman in her right mind should have an actual relationship with him. Sex, sure, that's why I don't mind the thing he had going with Linda. She wasn't ever a threat to fall in love with him. She thought he was hot and wanted to bang him. But they are setting this Chloe thing up to be either that she is some kind of angel type being herself of his twu luv. I don't want Luci to have a twu luv. It doesn't suit who/what he is. This shouldn't be a love story. But I could buy a buddy cop thing since they are hell bent on keeping this a procedural.

• Love 2

Per Maze and Trixie and the whiskey, I just figure that Maze is even less acclimated to earth than Lucifer is.  Maze was told that being a bartender meant pouring drinks for whoever came up to the bar.  No mention was made about exempting small humans.

• Love 2

I think Malcolm is ultimately going back to hell no matter what; he went once, the killing now won't help or hurt his chances. But if he were as tortured as they're implying he was just from 30 seconds in hell, then he may be somewhat insane now even if he weren't before AND given the choice of "back to hell RIGHT NOW" vs potentially live another 30-50 years before going back, he'd still not likely choose the former.

I keep wondering the same thing. We know Lucifer is quite sane, honest and rather restrained. But from Chloe's perspective she should see him as a delusional psycopath with violent tendancies. Why is she ignoring this?

I think she's under the impression he is commited to the persona and determined not to break character, rather than genuinely delusional. Moreso, so arrogant that he refuses to acknowledge it's a bit. That's how I see her getting around how she should otherwise by now think he's insane. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

By season's end Chloe better get that Lucifer is who he says he is. I agree, it's looking like Chloe's allowing this crazy guy in her life (that's why I don't completely hate Dan, in terms of his view of Lucifer, it should come off as strange) and she has seen a few non-human things. On Buffy, keeping her mom in the dark for two seasons worked because she wasn't in every episode and there was the on going "yeah, Sunnydale residents just repress these experiences" theme. Episode after episode of putting off Chloe believing him is getting old. The show probably thinks it's a good build up to save for a special episode or something but I for one am not anticipating it, I just want it to be done with.

Edited by Gigi43

Trixie hanging out with the Prince of Darkness and the number 1 demon in hell !!!  I bet given another minute she would have chugged that 2 fingers (plus) of hard liquor in one gulp.  Slapped it back down on the bar and said something like "that pretty good for an eye opener, but do you have any REAL adult beverages around here."

Maybe the used makeup or something like that on Rebecca De Mornay to make her look like that for some reason. 

Never through about this.  But How does one become a demon? 

I am pretending Chloe knew it would do no good to say anything to Maze and Lucifer about it, so decided to save her breath.

I loved the whole thing with Maze pouring her a drink and then adding the Shirley Temple cherry to it - thought that was hilarious.  My guess is Trixie might have taken a sip and turned it away - alcohol does not taste good to kids used to juice and soda and milk.  I do not see her chugging down whiskey!

Edited by gwhh
  • Love 2

Never through about this.  But How does one become a demon? 

In the comics ....  

Mazikeen is a daughter of Lilith. Lilith was the first woman created for Adam but she refused to be subservient to Adam and thus said "screw this" and walked away. Adam then ended up with Eve and Lilith consorted with "other creatures" (by her choice) and produced the Liliam, which is what Mazikeen is.

• Love 3

What building in LA is Lucifer club in, they always show the outside of it.  Its white and kind of looks like just the top of the empire state building?

I'll start another topic for this...

This is my biggest peeve about the show. I don't mind them being mysterious about Lucifer's mortality, or the extent of his powers, or why Chloe is immune to him, IF I can feel that there's an explanation that will completely make sense when it's finally revealed. But the longer this is dragged out, and the (seeming) inconsistencies in what they're showing, is giving me the impression that these things haven't been well thought out and there are going to be logic holes in whatever explanation they have. I hope I'm proven wrong by the season finale.

Also, I think they prioritized the wrong plot points. Instead of two episodes, Lucifer's missing wings should have been the arc plot for the latter half of the season. And Lucifer's (hopefully temporary) brush with mortality should have been a two-episode storyline. I rewatched the pilot recently and I really, really miss the Lucifer that could get up and walk away from a hail of bullets. (Admittedly, I'm biased because I'm a huge fan of Highlander and Moonlight -- I just love immortal characters getting to actually be immortal.)

Something I find interesting about the characterization of Lucifer is how much he connects and feels for people connected to the case. Like, how he seemed to legitimately feel really bad for that pick up artist guy a few weeks ago, then his friendship with Father Frank, and here, with the dead Chefs son. He really connects with people, more even than your average cop character. Maybe because he find humanity to be fascinating? 

Except for Father Frank, I don't think he's connecting to the people on the case. With pickup artist guy, he just felt murder was unjust punishment. Any empathy he felt for the chef's son was because he was projecting his own daddy issues onto the case.

Since Trixie was adept enough with the interwebs to find Hot Tub High School, I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult for her to find out that Lucifer owns Lux. (She's definitely curious enough to have Googled Lucifer from the first time they met.) And since Lux is supposedly a well-known LA hangout, she could have just told the Uber driver to take her there because her mom is friends with the owner.

He's delusional but not really a psychopath. His violent outbursts have only been against obviously bad people. Chloe has seen that he has a strong sense of justice and just punishment. His behavior on the job could put Chloe in danger (although maybe he learned a lesson after the gang war incident) but, until having a suspect in a poisoning cook family dinner, he hasn't done anything that would make Chloe think he'd be a danger to her family.

• Love 1

I was waiting for her to show up until I realised she must be somewhere in Chloe's mother. I never would have recognised her.

I was surprised that Malcolm didn't come back to Dan's "Go to hell" with a "Already been there", or something like that.

Maze's Shirley Temple amused me greatly. I may have to ask for her version the next time I'm out.

That was a positive surprise actually. I find I enjoy them not going with every expected pun equally as the ones they are doing.

Wouldn't it be fun if you actually got it without having to explain?

I love Dr. Linda, she's getting more interesting every week & I hope she becomes BFFs with Maze.

Those two could wreak some serious havoc. Can you imagine a drunk Dr. Linda out and about with Maze? It would also be interesting to see Lucifer's reaction given that he told Maze to get lost.

I was thinking the same, that even though he got injured, he was with Chloe and was having physical contact with her, so it seems like we're still none the wiser.

The writers are playing with us. I really hope Malcolm shoots Lucifer only for the both of them to find out that Lucifer is actually only allergic to bullets when they are fired by Chloe. I'm hoping for a rather violent outbreak the moment he realises; red face, (hell's) bells and whistles and all that jazz, sending Malcolm and his unfortunate facial hair to a mental institution that not even Amenadude can get him out of. Or directly to hell; he's barely been awake and is already going on my nerves. It would also be interesting to see Chloe's reaction if Lucifer actually killed someone.

Side note to storyskip: I believe it was  Sonja who wondered when they'd use INXS's "Devil Inside" song, though I definitely seconded that usage! As soon as the song started playing the background, I said, "Yes! Finally!" I actually think I like that song better than "Sympathy for the Devil," so it was great that they used it. I wonder how many songs are out there that reference the devil, before they run out of options? Have we suggested "Devil Went Down To Georgia" yet? *GRIN*

Yes, that was me. I managed to keep my cackling in check long enough for the song being brought to a screeching halt. I hadn't heard that version before ;-) Off topic, but INXS has been short changed by music history, so I'm always glad to hear them pop up somewhere.

Oh, I think we can come up with quite a few. Hell's Bells by AC/DC or Econoline Crush's The Devil You Know would be a departure style-wise. Then there's Pearl Jam's Satan's Bed, The Beatles' The Devil in her Heart, Elvis Presley's (You're the) Devil in Disguise (I don't know how the estate is handling rights for TV shows),....

Except for Father Frank, I don't think he's connecting to the people on the case. With pickup artist guy, he just felt murder was unjust punishment. Any empathy he felt for the chef's son was because he was projecting his own daddy issues onto the case.

Since Trixie was adept enough with the interwebs to find Hot Tub High School, I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult for her to find out that Lucifer owns Lux. (She's definitely curious enough to have Googled Lucifer from the first time they met.) And since Lux is supposedly a well-known LA hangout, she could have just told the Uber driver to take her there because her mom is friends with the owner.

I didn't get any empathy for the chef's son either. He was trying to see parallels where there were little and threw a tantrum at the dinner table when things didn't go his way. Frank was the only one who really got to him. Other than that, it's been more about the need to punish people for what they have done than emphasizing with the victims.

Trixie seems to be a clever girl, she probably knows a lot more than the adults in her life want her to. Maybe she asked Chloe what Lucifer did and she told her about Lux. BTW, does anyone know if it was legal for the Uber driver to take her on her own? I'm watching from across the pond and this seemed very stange to me. Especially in that outfit with a week's worth of make-up on her face.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Kris Kristofferson's 'To Beat the Devil' and 'The Silver Tongued Devil and I'

Edited by Sonja
  • Love 1

.BTW, does anyone know if it was legal for the Uber driver to take her on her own?

There's no law against it as far as I know.  It would be up to Uber to set their own rules or at the discretion of the driver.  The part with the iffy legalities would be at either end of the trip when the kid is technically alone.  Most states have laws about the age in which a child can be alone.  I doubt I'd drive an unaccompanied minor, though to be fair, I doubt I'd ever drive with random strangers in my car to begin with