Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Pencils Down

When Mellie makes a very public faux pas, Olivia must decide how far she’ll go to fix it. Meanwhile, the Gladiators learn valuable intel about Jake’s new love interest, and David Rosen seeks advice about his love triangle with Liz North and Susan Ross.

This is billed as "Pencil's Down" which seems grammatically wrong but we will see.

This election plot line is terrible. They are trying to be too "ripped from the headlines." They could have not done so many time jumps and done so much more with Fitz' presidency.

This is just awful.

Oh, David, you're such a ___________.

So let me get this straight, Susan Ross was one cheating boyfriend away from blossoming into her own (non-insecure) person. Shonda! Heh, not sure why I'm complaining about that among all the wha???

• Love 1

This election plot line is terrible. They are trying to be too "ripped from the headlines." They could have not done so many time jumps and done so much more with Fitz' presidency.

I can't even remember all the time jumps, has it really been enough to go through all of Fitz's second term? He was re-elected two years ago, and most of the time jumps happened during the summer/winter hiatuses. I'm sure they want to capitalize on real life election stuff, but it seems off to me.

Whatever is in that envelope is going to make me not like Susan, isn't it?

• Love 1

I'm just surprised they even let Huck in the same room as a former First Lady. 

As for Olivia -  She actually has to go to Daddy to see what she should do? She crossed the "I only do bad things for noble reasons" line ages ago, like when she helped rig an election for her lover. 

The only likeable character in this whole charade they're calling Scandal is Susan Ross.  

• Love 3

I don't understand how there could possibly be any dirt on Susan Ross. Wasn't she *just* vetted by OPA in order to become vice president? Whatever is on that envelope better be lies cooked up by Cyrus to discredit his competing campaign manager, even though that doesn't make any sense with the time line.

Also, was Danny Pino wearing a wig? That was the most hair I've ever seen him have and it was a little alarming.

• Love 4

Also, was Danny Pino wearing a wig? That was the most hair I've ever seen him have and it was a little alarming.

He let his hair get shaggy while he wasn't working. That's all his. I love his Nick Amaro hair, but I have to say this new look grew (heh) on me last night. I do have a natural bias for Danny, being that he's my pretend husband (the real one knows and accepts this), and I'm just thrilled to have him back on my screen so again, biased. But man, I think Alex Vargas is HELLA hot. He brought some good energy back to the show, IMO. Bring Leo back, too, and I'd be a happy viewer.

Tom and Cyrus's scene made me uneasy. I always liked the nice (few as they were) Cyrus/James and Cyrus/Cute New Husband Whose Name I Can't Remember's scenes together, but Tom taking off that coat creeped me out. 

David is now dead to me. He's become as despicable as the rest of them. And if they ruin Susan, I'll be really upset. She was the one bright spot in all the despicableness.

Oh, and I am getting a tremendous kick out of Hollis. Gregg Henry has always been a likable guy IMO, so I can't help but enjoy the Hollis scenes. 

Edited by kirinan

As a resident of Planet Earth, I knew about Olivia and President Fitz, but this was my first episode.  Ta-da!  : )

Is the skullduggery always this thick?  The pace of the shady was fast, but pretty easy to follow.

(I watched Danny Pino all the way through Cold Case and SVU and still didn't recognize him.  Must've been the scruff.)

• Love 3

I tuned out - I see of enough of the craziness of this presidential campaign in real life, don't need more on a fictional show.  Don't like one person on the show - not one; they would all creep me out if I had the misfortune of meeting any of them - which now includes poor insecure Susan.  I don't care what dirt there is on her.  Why do shows keep presenting an entire array of really unlikeable characters?  To me, anyway.  

• Love 1

They really took the easy way out by conveniently turning Edison into a bad guy. All of Liv's actions to tank him are suddenly somehow justified. I would almost rather see her just break bad and fuck him over at the cost of her own soul.

I am glad that Susan got to be the dumpER and walk away with some dignity. You smoke that cigarette, girl.

I LOVE a manipulative handjob. That bathroom scene was kind of hot, even though Jake is stupid and I hate him.

• Love 9

As a resident of Planet Earth, I knew about Olivia and President Fitz, but this was my first episode. Ta-da! : )

Is the skullduggery always this thick? The pace of the shady was fast, but pretty easy to follow.

(I watched Danny Pino all the way through Cold Case and SVU and still didn't recognize him. Must've been the scruff.)

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: During Seasons 1 and 2 when the show was.....better/good Olivia Pope and her agency made a living as a "fixer" for rich people/politicians. Hell one of the major plot points of season 2 (And this was one of my favorite storylines) was how Olivia Pope helped steal an election and basically ruined a life in the process. So back to my short answer yes. The show just use to be better at it.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Mellie at Gettysburger was so uncomfortably awkward it made Michael Dukakis in a tank look like the most natural thing in the world. I did love the one commentator saying "the woman never had a Gettysburger in her life", which of course brings to mind Richard Nixon, and his fondness for that, particular, brand of beer.

I really hope there is more to Jake and his fiancee. Because if he is with her in a ploy to fund a SuperPac using her bank accounts, that just seems ridiculous. I am pretty certain there are many, less needlessly complicated ways to fund a SuperPac than to fake an engagement.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 2

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: During Seasons 1 and 2 when the show was.....better/good Olivia Pope and her agency made a living as a "fixer" for rich people/politicians. Hell one of the major plot points of season 2 (And this was one of my favorite storylines) was how Olivia Pope helped steal an election and basically ruined a life in the process. So back to my short answer yes. The show just use to be better at it.

Thanks!  And, yum, I'm going to look for the first seasons at my video store. 

(Ha, streaming unavailable, but the next-nearest burg has two video stores.  One of them still carries VHS.)

Was that ex-Secret Service Tom in that scene?  I don't remember him getting released.  But it wouldn't surprise me.

I think Olivia made a huge mistake by throwing Edison under the bus, regardless of the info she got in return.  If Edison is in any way able to get out from under it, he would (or I would, if I were him), expose Olivia as the source of the material.  Her business would implode as every potential client from then on would know that she is neither trustworthy nor discreet. 

ETA:  Joe Morton made an appearance on The Nightly Show last night, and did quite an impression of Poppa Pope on the election.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 4

Was that ex-Secret Service Tom in that scene?  I don't remember him getting released.  But it wouldn't surprise me.

Tom was released at the same time Papa Pope was. I don't remember why exactly he was part of the deal, except to further sour things between Liv and Fitz so they'd have to break up.

As a resident of Planet Earth, I knew about Olivia and President Fitz, but this was my first episode.  Ta-da!  : )

Is the skullduggery always this thick?  The pace of the shady was fast, but pretty easy to follow.

(I watched Danny Pino all the way through Cold Case and SVU and still didn't recognize him.  Must've been the scruff.)

My daughter and I were arguing about Danny Pino for the time it took us to look up and find out it was indeed he on Scandal (IMDB didn't have the cast listed yet, so it took a little longer than usual).  She recognized his voice, but I was totally misled by the hair and facial scruff.  I like that he is starting out as a morally ambiguous character instead of as the nice guy they have to mess up as seasons go by, which is what happened on both Cold Case and SVU.  I am liking this season so much better than the ridiculous hostage/war in West Angola nonsense.  One nice thing for writers of shows like this - after this election cycle, nobody will ever be able to tell them their plot is too far-fetched.  

• Love 1

They really took the easy way out by conveniently turning Edison into a bad guy. All of Liv's actions to tank him are suddenly somehow justified. I would almost rather see her just break bad and fuck him over at the cost of her own soul.I am glad that Susan got to be the dumpER and walk away with some dignity. You smoke that cigarette, girl.I LOVE a manipulative handjob. That bathroom scene was kind of hot, even though Jake is stupid and I hate him.

But this had to happen to justify the never as far as I can tell white hat wearing Olivia, and to justify the ruse to the presidency of the entitled and underserving Mellie. This is why Susan is getting ready to be thrown under the bus.

As noted up thread, Susan is the only character on this show worth a damn and even Shonda knows Mellie would never win when faced with a candidate of caliber and character, so the just vetted Susan will now have a secret that destroys her. If there is any justice, the information will be a lie, it's being leaked will trace back to Mellie and Liv and that will be the end of both of them. Liv is awful and gave the world Ditz because she thought it would be a good president, her feeling the same about Mellie speaks volumes.

I also agree that Edison needs to turn the tables on Liv and use her revealing his first to destroy her career as the great fixer.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 3

Thanks! And, yum, I'm going to look for the first seasons at my video store.

(Ha, streaming unavailable, but the next-nearest burg has two video stores. One of them still carries VHS.)

If you are in the US I think Scandal is still on Netflix.

I'm just surprised they even let Huck in the same room as a former First Lady. 

It's also surprising that Mellie would stay in the room, since she saw what Huck did to Lizzie's back.

Last episode, Olivia was saying she couldn't be seen to work for Mellie because optics, and this episode, that's just completely out the window? Olivia's openly negotiating the debate ground rules? Hello, continuity? Oh, forget it.

Olivia begging her father to launch into one of his supremely annoying Papa Pope monologues felt like Shonda trolling the audience.

That moment where David said he thought his tie should match Susan's outfit and he was so cute and adorable about it made me remember why I ever liked him to begin with. But the show just made his affair with Lizzie too gross.

I also did not recognize Danny Pino despite having seen virtually every episode of Cold Case, some episodes multiple times. Wow. He looks good. As for Cyrus, well, Cy, that is what you get for jumping onboard with a candidate you don't know, who has already made it to state governor without you. Of course he already has a right-hand person in place. None of this would be happening to you if you hadn't shortsightedly dropped Mellie for Fitz only to then suddenly remember that Fitz is a lame duck and so being his chief of staff is a dead end.

The Vanessa subplot is too stupid for words. I'm with the poster upthread who said there have to be easier ways to launder money into a SuperPAC than this convoluted engagement scheme.

I'm getting a little worried that Tom is going to kill Michael so he can have Cyrus to himself.

I do love Sally, though. She's always so gleeful doing her Lovers of Liberty bits.

• Love 1

The Vanessa subplot is too stupid for words. I'm with the poster upthread who said there have to be easier ways to launder money into a SuperPAC than this convoluted engagement scheme.

Are they laundering through her or actually stealing from her. I wasn't totally clear, but then I wasn't really paying that much attention.

Either way it seems like a really anti-climactic reveal after weeks of Liv investigating. That's the big bad thing Eli and Jake have been up to? Funding Edison's presidential campaign? Who the hell cares about that?

Tom and Cyrus's scene made me uneasy. I always liked the nice (few as they were) Cyrus/James and Cyrus/Cute New Husband Whose Name I Can't Remember's scenes together, but Tom taking off that coat creeped me out. . 

Cyrus's new husband is a business arrangement. The episode they got married, Cyrus was pretty clear that it was for appearances/so his daughter would have someone. They never pretended they were in love. 

As for Susan, don't we already know her secret? Her first episode, when she was running for Senator, Leo found out Susan was never married to Casey's father. (He ended up burying that to protect Abby). So Abby, along with the rest of OPA, should know that Susan has at least one skeleton they could employ. Honestly, the way Susan's been written so far I wouldn't believe it if she were some cold-blooded killer like the rest of them. 

Are they laundering through her or actually stealing from her. I wasn't totally clear, but then I wasn't really paying that much attention.

Either way it seems like a really anti-climactic reveal after weeks of Liv investigating. That's the big bad thing Eli and Jake have been up to? Funding Edison's presidential campaign? Who the hell cares about that?

Because if Edison gets in the White House, he will be fully under Rowan's control, and that must be prevented at all costs, given that Rowan is the most evil man in the world. That's why I don't agree with the comments about how Olivia is betraying Edison or throwing him under the bus. If Rowan is backing Edison, Olivia has a moral obligation to stop both of them. Of course, the same is true of Jake. 

Love the Mellie stuff. They're really just copying Hillary for most of it but it's interesting. The show is best when Shondaland gets to advocate for something and not as good when everyone is a terrorist for no reason. 

Cyrus's new husband is a business arrangement. The episode they got married, Cyrus was pretty clear that it was for appearances/so his daughter would have someone. They never pretended they were in love.

I know Cyrus and Michael were never in love--far from it--but they had a couple of nice scenes where you could see a bit of comfort growing between them. But this thing with Tom is just unsettling. Tom's a creepy character anyway, and IMO so is Cyrus. He went over the far edge of crazy a while ago, and this thing with Alex is going to push him even farther, I don't want Danny's character to be offed, but I fear that's where this might be headed.

Maybe Alex can off both Cyrus and Tom. I'd be all for that. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1

It's also surprising that Mellie would stay in the room, since she saw what Huck did to Lizzie's back.

Not that Mellie would know, but did Lizzie fake what happened to her back or have they forgotten behind the scenes, because I'm sure one of the episodes Lizzie was in bed with David (yuck) she had a scar free back.

The show is losing me. I wanted to last more than my friends but I don't think it is worth it anymore. 

Did they seem to be talking exceptionally fast last night?  Olivia and Quinn?  Jesus, who talks like that?

Characters in every Aaron Sorkin show. 

Yikes, I didn't even recognize Danny Pino at first. I'd rather see him running for president than his overly earnest brother. Whatever, please tell me Olivia is destined to take a ride or ten on the Alex Vargas express. They would be such a beautiful couple.

The Edison development caught me off-guard. I really thought it would turn out that Jake was going to run for president, and that he's been grooming the fiancee to be a photo-ready first lady.

Edited by Oblique Angle
Not that Mellie would know, but did Lizzie fake what happened to her back or have they forgotten behind the scenes, because I'm sure one of the episodes Lizzie was in bed with David (yuck) she had a scar free back.

Huck going to work on Lizzie's back was an all too real development. Sadly, the Scandal writers completely forgetting about it is also all too real. Either that or we're supposed to believe a wizard did it. 

Last episode, Olivia was saying she couldn't be seen to work for Mellie because optics, and this episode, that's just completely out the window? Olivia's openly negotiating the debate ground rules? Hello, continuity? Oh, forget it.

As the recap suggested, Liv is clearly no longer good at her job, and has been reduced to just spouting bullshit like "optics" to appear as if she is on top of things. She clearly only uses "optics" as a catch all. Anyone who would send Mellie into Gettysburger clearly has no real idea about "optics". 

Personally, I have never really believed there was anything particularly special or brilliant about the services Liv renders. If she is the top dog in DC, it is because she is written that way. I have seen little to suggest that reputation is earned. 

• Love 3

That's why I don't agree with the comments about how Olivia is betraying Edison or throwing him under the bus. If Rowan is backing Edison, Olivia has a moral obligation to stop both of them.

I don't know if Liv really has any morals. Any "morals" she has is really for anything suits one of her agendas. It's hard to feel any sympathy, or think that Olivia, is doing anything for the public good since she's the reason that Rowan is out of prison in the first place, all so she didn't have to marry Fitz.

• Love 1

Huck going to work on Lizzie's back was an all too real development. Sadly, the Scandal writers completely forgetting about it is also all too real. Either that or we're supposed to believe a wizard did it.

As the recap suggested, Liv is clearly no longer good at her job, and has been reduced to just spouting bullshit like "optics" to appear as if she is on top of things. She clearly only uses "optics" as a catch all. Anyone who would send Mellie into Gettysburger clearly has no real idea about "optics".

Personally, I have never really believed there was anything particularly special or brilliant about the services Liv renders. If she is the top dog in DC, it is because she is written that way. I have seen little to suggest that reputation is earned.

Season 1and 2 were better when the show wrote her as brilliant but shady and the shady was part of what made her brilliant. Yes she will dispose of the dead hooker in your bed. Yes she will make you look like a scamp when you are caught with your pants down. Yes she is culpable in one of the biggest travesties in election history. But if your kid gets kindnapped or just won't stop partying and acting like an ass for his rape trial she is the person you call instead of the cops.

Well that's how she was written in season 1 and 2. Lately I see very little of the character of old but some of that I attribute to the show being on for four seasons and fans or love to haters seem to be able to recite every line word for word on their favorite shows and when a flower is not where it should be or the showrunners don't have their memory of the show they rage.

Some of it I attribute to bad writing and trying too hard to mimic the current election cycle. It's a big fat mess but the show has kinda always in its heart been a big fat mess do there is that.

I also did not recognize Danny Pino despite having seen virtually every episode of Cold Case, some episodes multiple times. Wow. He looks good. As for Cyrus, well, Cy, that is what you get for jumping onboard with a candidate you don't know, who has already made it to state governor without you.

I wasn't a fan of Danny Pino's hair.  It's just in a weird place where it's kind of grown out, but isn't to the point where it would look good.  It just seems bushy and uncombed.  I did find it weird that Cyrus would be surprised by his appearance on the campaign given we were told he was involved in all of his brother's other campaigns. 

Tom's a creepy character anyway, and IMO so is Cyrus. He went over the far edge of crazy a while ago, and this thing with Alex is going to push him even farther, I don't want Danny's character to be offed, but I fear that's where this might be headed.

When they said Alex was single, I immediately thought there was going to be some kind of gross Tom/Cyrus/Alex threesome.  And just note I'm saying it would be gross because Tom and Cyrus are gross characters, not for any other reason. 

I did find it weird that Cyrus would be surprised by his appearance on the campaign given we were told he was involved in all of his brother's other campaigns. 

That's my point: Cyrus didn't really get to know Vargas well enough first. He just panicked and jumped at the first candidate he could find who could mount a credible campaign for POTUS.

I guess it's going to turn out that Vargas isn't nearly as honorable as he comes across - he just looks in the other direction while his brother does the dirty work.

Edited by Black Knight

Did they seem to be talking exceptionally fast last night? Olivia and Quinn? Jesus, who talks like that?

Lots of people actually, myself and the cast of Gilmore Girls included. In fact I didn't notice it being particularly fast.

Liked that ep, loved Living one-upping Jake. Loved Cyrus being a fish out of water, loved Susan dumping David and her chat with Fitz, loved Fitz once again in the supportive role. Loved loved loved this new character Alex, not for nothing but he is a major hottie. Wow, and anyone who can intimidate Cyrus makes me very happy. I continue to love Mellie and Liv and am a great fan of this election storyline. Can't wait for the debate!

• Love 1
Lots of people actually, myself and the cast of Gilmore Girls included.

I've seen interviews with various Gilmore Girls cast members, and I haven't noticed them speaking at a particularly rapid pace.  Now on the show itself, the characters speak rapidly, but I don't think the actors do that in their normal lives.  

I guess it's going to turn out that Vargas isn't nearly as honorable as he comes across - he just looks in the other direction while his brother does the dirty work.

I think that's exactly where it is heading.  He's wants plausible deniability, so he's a "good guy," while allowing his brother to destroy his enemies. 

From the look on Jake's face, I don't think he knew about the Super PAC scheme. Rowan probably set it all up to get the money and have something on Jake that's traceable.

Lots of people actually, myself and the cast of Gilmore Girls included. In fact I didn't notice it being particularly fast.

Liked that ep, loved Living one-upping Jake. Loved Cyrus being a fish out of water, loved Susan dumping David and her chat with Fitz, loved Fitz once again in the supportive role. Loved loved loved this new character Alex, not for nothing but he is a major hottie. Wow, and anyone who can intimidate Cyrus makes me very happy. I continue to love Mellie and Liv and am a great fan of this election storyline. Can't wait for the debate!

I didn't notice it being that fast either. I've actually never thought they talked fast on this show, but figured I was just a freak since everyone else does.

• Love 1

Seriously, this show is a shitshow now, excuse the french.

Bring back classic Washington like The West Wing.

kerrie Washington always over acts, talks fast, over emphasises her mouth movements and ....what is with that walk of hers? She walks like she is carrying a mac truck on her ass.

Shonda has lost the plot. 

KW also frequently has the look like she's about to start crying...I realize the astigmatism thing, but why the watery eyed glaring all the time... sheesh.

(edited)

Bring back classic Washington like The West Wing.

I loved that show so much. I wish they would bring it back, but only with the originals or do at least a reunion movie.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1
(edited)

errie Washington always over acts, talks fast, over emphasises her mouth movements and ....what is with that walk of hers? She walks like she is carrying a mac truck on her ass.

They should have gotten Sanaa Lathan to play Olivia Pope.

I see Sanaa Lathan having chemistry with what's his name, the president, and she unlike KW does not overact and do funny things with her mouth.

I would have said Nia Long but I don't see her having chemistry with the president, which was a must for the role.

I think this role would serve to have an actress who is a little more understated. Understated, yet powerful and in control, the combination exists Shonda.

And that walk of hers is outrageously funny and I don't think it's suppose to be, but that needed to end as soon as it started. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 1