Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E20: Top 4 Perform

• Start Topic

I never thought I'd say this, but Trent for the win. Of the remaining four, he's the only one with not only a great voice, but a unique, expressive one. I wouldn't need to watch him perform (watching him is almost a minus!) to be moved by his voice or interested in his interpretation -- and I couldn't stand him at the beginning.

LaPorsha has a great voice but wouldn't succeed as a recording artist (barring a buttload of great material) because there's nothing about her sound that you couldn't get from dozens of other, equally capable singers, nor is her voice alone particularly expressive; her real power is in her stage presence. I do think she'll have a reasonable career as a live singer (stage productions, cabarets) but not on record.

MacKenzie has no voice or presence to speak of. I'm pretty sure coffeehouses across the country are littered with MacKenzie-like singers. I don't get the appeal.

People actually employ Dalton as a vocal coach? He really can't sing. Without the guyliner and Rod Stewart's old hair he would have been gone long ago. He's getting by on puppy dog eyes and a sensitive, angsty-guy persona rather than any actual talent. I'm also still trying to figure out how God Only Knows qualifies as a rock classic. Did it come to be during the rock era? Sure. So did Feelings. Neither is rock.

Favorite moment of the night: Sonika turning to Dalton and saying "it's you" when they were waiting for Ryan's announcement of who made top 4.

Least favorite moment of the night: Anything Borschetta-related. Guy is the very definition of skeevy. I remember early on when he was encouraging people to vote and reminded them his company was based in Nashville (hint: VOTE TRISTAN!), my reaction was dude, not America's problem, just do your job with whoever wins. That said, I'm sure whoever does win will be left by the side of the road while he devotes his attention to Tristan.

WTF moment of the night: JLo not being able to remember Steven Van Zandt's name. I'm not a fan of Springsteen or The Sopranos and even I could pull that hunched-over, bandana-wearing guy's name out of my ass.

Annoyance of the night: All things Sia. Don't like her music, don't like her (or anyone's) gimmicks, don't like all the pretentious, s****** dancing, couldn't stand the goofy giggling. Just not my cup of tea.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 5

Ugh, Sia?  I detest her stupid "Don't look at me" shit.

Loved La'Porsha's "Dead or Alive". Liked her hair, too.

Ugh, movie tie-ins.  :(

Not feeling MacKenzie's first song.

Uncle Nigel is producing the finale?  Uck.

Nice, and smooth, Trent.

Not the best, Dalton.

McPhee?  Uck.

So many lights

McKenzie was off key in his Sia song. Not good at all.

This could have been a 90 minute show without all of the fluff.

Sia was a bad influence on Trent.  He mumbled just as well as she does. But he nailed it, though I'm not a big fan of falsetto.

Dalton was really good in the second song.

MacKenzie has to be gone next week, right?

You  just said what I was thinking. Get outta my head hehehehe

• Love 1

Agree with all but the last paragraph, designing1.  I thought Sia was sweet and when Ryan asked (can't remember who) about her eyes, I really wanted him to respond, "She's got two!".

Sia & her Cousin Itt style makes me want to punch random people. Ugh. Speaking of style who decided to put La'Porsha in a trash bag onesie? Go grab a stranger off the street & they could probably put together something better than the person that "styled" that. As for the actual singing? I got nothing. Bored & apathetic. That's me & apparently the contestants too.

Hee First good laugh of the day. ITT!

And whoever dressed LP should be taken out back.

Dudes singing really high... not a fan...

McPhee can shove Over the Rainbow..

Does anyone know the name of that Sia song with the nehkid people? The one she performed on this show. TIA

• Love 2

I think it's good that Sia is making people question these assumptions about pop music, i.e. that you need a beautiful face to sell it.  She is having no problem selling her music.  Looks are not IRRELEVANT to pop music, i.e. if you look "good" then you can sell music even when you're not a great singer, i.e. Britney Spears.  One could say that Sia is showing the reverse, that if you hide your face and sing WELL then you can also sell.

Are you assuming Heejun is not an attractive man, or even worse, declaring it as fact?  I'm very attracted to Heejun.  He's Korean, not ugly.

At the risk of contradicting my earlier posts, maybe the reverse of needing a beautiful face to sell is someone like Susan Boyle. Her gimmick was that she's extremely unattractive and "wasn't supposed to" have that voice based off the assumption she'd sound terrible. Sia's face being covered is her entire gimmick, which brings positive and negative attention to her at the same time. People are still attracted to her face (not sexually or aesthetically, I mean interested) because of the mystery, so it's still a focal point despite not being visible. 

I was originally going to use Lazaro as an example, but either one works. I'm declaring it as fact that Heejun would not be a successful American pop star, nor would he (I should say, did not) have an audience of rabid female fans thinking he's hot and using his looks to make up for poor vocal performances. I looked him up now and is more attractive than I remember, probably because he matured and lost weight, but my point still stands. Phillip Phillips got all the love in season 11, as well as "okay, that was bland, but he's still hot" comments, and he won. The comments I saw about Heejun at the time were mostly about his desperation to come across as funny and his performances that got worse and more karaoke as the weeks went on, I saw nothing praising his appearance. The anti-WGWG crowd has been saying most of what I'm saying for years, that the handsome guys with (usually) limited skills get a pass for their looks and the producers strap a rocket to their ass that makes them finale-bound.

I think I'm rambling far too much here about off-topic nonsense, but what I'm trying to say is that I think most people here agree to a point that someone like Dalton will stick around for a long time because of his looks. I just happen to think his looks make up around 80% of his popularity, instead of maybe 20-30% that others may think. I pulled those numbers out of thin air, obviously. His appearance provides the halo effect with everything else he does, instead of it simply complimenting his supposedly fantastic talent, is what I mean.

Well, that was quite the performance from Dalton.  May not be able to sing so now he's trying to act.

Wait a second, you don't really believe he was emotionally overcome, do you?  Seriously??

It's nice to see him getting called out so much for this, I expected near 100% sympathy and e-hugs for him. Why does he feel the need to convince the audience he's tormented all of a sudden?

• Love 1

Agree with all but the last paragraph, designing1.  I thought Sia was sweet and when Ryan asked (can't remember who) about her eyes, I really wanted him to respond, "She's got two!".

Qoass, I agree, she was very sweet with the contestants, and seems like a genuinely nice person. It's Sia the artist I can live without (well, that and the giggling!)

• Love 2

Well, that was quite the performance from Dalton.  May not be able to sing so now he's trying to act.

Wait a second, you don't really believe he was emotionally overcome, do you?  Seriously??

When I first saw "performance", I thought you were referring to his song, heh. Good one. 

In his defense, I did see him getting emotional during the mentor session with Sia. But the actual performance and after it? No, bro. He looked like he was TRYING to cry, contrast to Trent last week when he was trying NOT to cry.

• Love 3

Boy, did the bus come for MacKenzie last night or what?  I suspect that he must be getting more votes than golden one La'Porsha, and TPTB are desperately trying to keep her in the competition.  But that's speculation for the Knoll, so I'll move on to my impressions of the performances.

Best of the night: David Cook.  Loved him then, still love him now.  Can't wait to buy that song.  Followed very closely by SIA.  Chick is a bit weird, but I couldn't stop watching, and I'm intrigued by the song.  Was that Maddie Ziegler from Dance Moms?  (I only ever see the previews for that horrible trainwreck, but am somewhat familiar with her from various media outlets.)

On to the contestants performances, from best to worst:

- Trent, Sharp Dressed Man.  I really loved that.  The beginning was great, and the change in tone/tempo in the middle showed me his firm grasp on the music.

- MacKenzie, I Want You To Want Me.  I don't know what the judges were smoking, because that was a terrific performance.  I personally enjoyed the middle ground between his more slowed down approach and the speed of the original.  I found it added a great deal of poignance and yearning to the lyrics.

- La'Porsha, Elastic Heart.  This song suited her style beautifully, but for once she didn't overdo the runs.  Her voice sounded wonderful, and she allowed room for emotion in her performance without allowing it to overwhelm the song.

- Trent, Chandelier.  There was a moment here and there where this almost turned lounge-y, but he reined it back it.  I didn't love it as much as Sharp Dressed Man, but only because I'm less enamoured of Trent's falsetto than the judges seem to be.

- MacKenzie, Titanium.  Again, really enjoyed this since it seemed out of his wheelhouse, but am less in love with his falsetto.

- Dalton, God Only Knows.  It did show a vulnerability which I hadn't seen/heard in Dalton's performances before, but it was less on point vocally than it was emotionally.  Dalton really is the least vocally gifted of the remaining contestants, although he usually covers that with his performance ability.

- La'Porsha, Wanted Dead Or Alive.  This wasn't bad, because with a voice as good as hers, bad really isn't in the equation.  But she did nothing with it.  It was karaoke, good karaoke, but nothing more than that.  There was no bluesy sound to it (I call bullshit on that judge's comment - Harry, I think?)  and any swagger that existed was because that song already had it.  This was a definite case of a bad fit between song and singer.

- Dalton, Bird Set Free.  This was okay.  Not great, not bad, but nothing special in any way.  So uncompelling a performance that I got up and emptied the dishwasher while listening.

Should go home next week: Dalton

Will go home: La'Porsha

I'm calling a MacKenzie/Trent final now.

Okay I admit it I was hoping for a shocking elimination last night.  

Loved Sonika's voice.  Her stage presence was awful but I thought the same thing about Carrie Underwood (still kind of do and love her radio songs).

Have been rooting for Trent for a while and happy he made it to homecoming.   That has always been my favorite idol moments : )  

• Love 2
I don't get the hate for Kat McPhee either. I think she's gorgeous and has a strong, beautiful voice.

I felt this way about her as well, at first. Until I found out that her schtick and backstory was totally manufactured. Trying to remember where I read some of this - I will look for it and post a source if I find it - but she shared a bunch of stuff that really soured me on her. She said that she was interested in acting, never singing, and Idol was just going to be a vehicle for her to get noticed for acting gigs. Her mom and sister (both vocal coaches) coached and groomed her for the show. Then (along with idol producers) she helped manufacture this bullshit backstory that she was a struggling singer with a stage mom, just trying to make it in the biz.

As someone else mentioned, she's from Sherman Oaks and is not and never has been a "struggling" anything. Her dad was a successful television producer. Bottom line, she wanted to get picked up for a tv pilot, and AI was simply a vehicle for her. So much about her is contrived. This is the source of my dislike.

I don't get the hate for Kat McPhee either. I think she's gorgeous and has a strong, beautiful voice. I also don't see the need to dodge the question about what she's doing...right now she's a member of the cast of the CBS show Scorpion, which is quite good IMO and has been pretty successful in the TV ratings.

I felt this way about her as well, at first. Until I found out that her schtick and backstory was totally manufactured. Trying to remember where I read some of this - I will look for it and post a source if I find it - but she shared a bunch of stuff that really soured me on her. She said that she was interested in acting, never singing, and Idol was just going to be a vehicle for her to get noticed for acting gigs. Her mom and sister (both vocal coaches) coached and groomed her for the show. Then (along with idol producers) she helped manufacture this bullshit backstory that she was a struggling singer with a stage mom, just trying to make it in the biz.

As someone else mentioned, she's from Sherman Oaks and is not and never has been a "struggling" anything. Her dad was a successful television producer. Bottom line, she wanted to get picked up for a tv pilot, and AI was simply a vehicle for her. So much about her is contrived. This is the source of my dislike.

• Love 1

. Bottom line, she wanted to get picked up for a tv pilot, and AI was simply a vehicle for her.

Well, it worked.  She's on her second TV series.

Seriously, AI is simply a vehicle for everybody, even William Hung and the Pants on the Ground guy.

• Love 6

I don't get the hate for Kat McPhee either. I think she's gorgeous and has a strong, beautiful voice. I also don't see the need to dodge the question about what she's doing...right now she's a member of the cast of the CBS show Scorpion, which is quite good IMO and has been pretty successful in the TV ratings.

• Love 2

So, this was suppose to be a girls season.  And leave it to the voters to take out 5 girls in the Top 10 and only 1 guy so far.

I hope either MacKenzie or Dalton goes next week.  Both are over rated.  I don't get why Scott Borchetta is pimping MacKenzie.  But then he also pimped Nick Fradiani last season.

The Final 2 should be La'Porsha and Trent.

• Love 2

I wonder why the montage of winners during david cook's performance didn't include nick fradiani, lee dewyze, caleb Johnson, or Phillip phillips.

I too am perplexed that dalton makes a living as a vocal coach. My theory is that he probably takes part as an instructor at an after-school program and he takes it upon himself to "teach" the kids music, as that is his hobby. Like Jack Black in School of Rock. Dare i say that jack black is a better singer?

Speaking of better singers.....there are thousands of them better than mackenzie in coffeehouses across America.

• Love 1

Borchetta seems to want Trent.

FONGO?

That whole Fongo schtick was embarrassing (for me, for you). Someone has to control Harry when he goes off the page like that. Ryan tries but fails. It's a waste of time that could have been better spent on, let's say, showing one of Sonika's mentoring packages before she was booted off.

I don't see Borchetta wanting Trent, he was just going along with Stevie, IMO. Since it looks likes MacKenzie is getting bussed, I think Scott prefers the idea of working with Dalton, who has a radio friendly voice and a look teen girls like. I don't think he would know what to do with Trent, especially if he doesn't want to be a country star. 

• Love 1

Ooops I thought Trent was country but I don't pay attention heh

I am around many Latinos and have never heard the word fongo and do not know what it means. Anyone?

ANd yes Harry went too far. JLo doesn't need a gif of her saying fongo all over the place. :-)

So, this was suppose to be a girls season.  And leave it to the voters to take out 5 girls in the Top 10 and only 1 guy so far.

And of course that one guy eliminated was the one black one.

I wish I could like Trent like others do. He can sing better than Dalton and MacKenzie--even if that isn't saying much--but all I see when he emotes or makes his weird movements and faces is a plate of cheese.

I do think they bussed MacKenzie last night and the pity vote is about all that could get Dalton to the final, but I'm not sure they were successful. The same thing happened to most white guys who've won this show. I'm sure the audience is determined to have another cute guy that can't sing to be their winner.

I wonder why the montage of winners during david cook's performance didn't include nick fradiani, lee dewyze, caleb Johnson, or Phillip phillips.

I BELIEVE Sprinkles said this was a montage of the former winners who will appear at the finale. I guess the others won't be there (PP has a contract battle I've heard)

I too am perplexed that dalton makes a living as a vocal coach. My theory is that he probably takes part as an instructor at an after-school program and he takes it upon himself to "teach" the kids music, as that is his hobby.

Mostly true!! In his video package there were well wishes from School of Rock kids.  I assume he works there.  No adult would hire him to teach them to sing.  His tone is pretty but it's a weak one dimensional voice.

Sonika looked terrified every single moment she was on stage.  She was constitutionally incapable of not looking terrified.  She even looked terrified while singing BMBTL. She is one of the most beautiful contestants ever, though.

• Love 2

I think that I am rooting for Trent now.  I hadn't picked a favorite this entire season, though I have liked a lot of the singers quite a bit -- but I think that he is the one I want to see winning the final Idol crown.  I don't know if he is a perfect bookend to Kelly Clarkson -- maybe a lopsided, off-kilter bookend --  but he is a talented dude, and seemingly a decent, polite guy too.  He can sometimes be goofy and quirky, making it seem as though his performances are joke-ish, but he has become more focused and it's working for him.

The only problem that I had with Trent's performance of "Chandelier" -- which I thought was quite captivating -- was that I wanted him to belt out the chorus.  He kept relying on his falsetto for the high notes, and I think he has a big enough voice to really sing those lyrics and let them soar, for lack of a better word.  Sia was trying to tell him that.   Or, he could have done one falsetto verse and then one verse where he was wailing and belting.  What he did with the song was beautiful, but I wanted more power at certain moments and I felt like he was holding back.

It bugs me when singers who clearly have a voice to handle some songs won't go all the way with them and push themselves, just as much as it bothers me when someone who clearly doesn't have a voice for a certain song decides to take it on because they get a little too over-ambitious.  Know your strengths and weaknesses, people!

• Love 2

I think that I am rooting for Trent now. I hadn't picked a favorite this entire season, though I have liked a lot of the singers quite a bit -- but I think that he is the one I want to see winning the final Idol crown. I don't know if he is a perfect bookend to Kelly Clarkson -- maybe a lopsided, off-kilter bookend -- but he is a talented dude, and seemingly a decent, polite guy too. He can sometimes be goofy and quirky, making it seem as though his performances are joke-ish, but he has become more focused and it's working for him.

The only problem that I had with Trent's performance of "Chandelier" -- which I thought was quite captivating -- was that I wanted him to belt out the chorus. He kept relying on his falsetto for the high notes, and I think he has a big enough voice to really sing those lyrics and let them soar, for lack of a better word. Sia was trying to tell him that. Or, he could have done one falsetto verse and then one verse where he was wailing and belting. What he did with the song was beautiful, but I wanted more power at certain moments and I felt like he was holding back.

I agree with you about Chandelier. It was beautiful but he could have made it beautiful and powerful had he belted the last chorus. I know he can do it. His upper register seems limitless, figuratively speaking. My favorite thing about that performance is actually his lower register when he sung the bridge. So well-executed.

I would love to see him as the off-kilter bookend. That made him memorable for me, vocally, personality and his outfits. He's so quirky. I love the hat and pants he was rocking during Sia's mentor session. Rare to see basic white dudes his age wearing that, heh.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 4

yes, I really do believe it.

• Love 4

Was indifferent to Dalton, but that second performance pissed me off. His voice cracked, he appeared to be sobbing, but couldn't come up with a single tear. Did he forget it's HD? Really thought Harry was going to say something. 

Trent was kind of a star last night. Sorry Sonika is gone, loved her voice and she seemed like such a sweetheart.

Sia wants to have a normal life when she isn't doing music. She's said many times that's the reason for the wigs, she wants to go to Target. Ha. Can't dislike anyone for that. Lady Gaga used to do this too.

I loved Kat McPhee in her season. I did hear the stuff about using Idol to gain a career. Didn't hurt my feelings at all. Means she's just like the other 2 million or so young women in LA that try to do the same thing, but maybe don't have her talent or looks. And yes, she's got a TV series, just got renewed for season 3 or 4.

• Love 6

Because the AI brass has come to their senses and realize they all suck. They have nothing left to lose, so they're not even pretending anymore. LOL

Edited by drafan
  • Love 2

I like LaPorsha, she has beautiful eyes and her hair is fantastic, I totally love it. Plus I like her singing. So I'm fine with her winning. But Trent with his "Miss Sia" and "Miss Jennifer" and "Thank you, Mr. Keith" is really endearing. Fake or real, who cares, he's saying it and I like it. Plus I've really come onto his team with his singing. I'd like a finale with those two.

MacKenzie ... man, he can't get off my tv fast enough. I hate, hate, hate when contestants eyeball directly into the camera, then follow it as it moves to the side. That's been an AI thing for ages, and it continues to bug me.

Dalton got some reprieve from me with that last song. Plus his eyes are lovely and he has great hair.

Hey, isn't that what so much of this is about, besides having a good voice?

I've seen Sia on several shows and know hiding her face is a thing. I don't have any problem with it. Miley Cyrus has a tongue and boob pasties, Lady Gaga has a meat dress, Sia wears a BW wig. Who cares about gimmicks as long as those people have talent to back it up. (And, IMO, all three of those named do.)

Watching this season, my brain has said, "Wow, that's pitchy Dog," so many times, in a Randy voice. Miss you, Dog.

• Love 2

I think Ryan introduced that montage behind Cookie's songs as performers we will be seeing on the show between now and the finale.  We've already seen Lee, Nick and Caleb and P2 is probably, um, busy...

• Love 2

Ooops I thought Trent was country but I don't pay attention heh

I am around many Latinos and have never heard the word fongo and do not know what it means. Anyone?

ANd yes Harry went too far. JLo doesn't need a gif of her saying fongo all over the place. :-)

Fango.

I am familiar with it because it means "mud" in Italian - I didn't know it was the same in Spanish, but apparently it is.

• Love 1

I gave up on Idol a few years ago. Only came back last night for David Cook's performance and Stevie Van Zandt's mentor sessions.

J-Lo forgetting Stevie's name reminded me why I left. 

• Love 1

I have seen Sia live in a concert house in Toronto before she did the whole wig face thing and she was amazing. She was heavier because she had some health issues from what I remember. She seemed humble and loved being there and performing. Her song "Breathe me" brought the house down. She sings and writes like a real artist and my take on the whole wig thing is that she wants to have a private life and not have the focus be on all the paparazzi shots of Sia having a Starbucks and Sia at the Mall like all the other performers get. I will take that any day over Kanye cloaking himself in his fake genius and arseholery

• Love 10

I wonder if all of the judges from years past will be reuniting in 2 weeks, on the series finale?  Steven Tyler said a few months ago that he would be part of the final season somehow, even if it's just a pre-recorded video message.  Ellen DeGeneres said last year that she would appear at some point during the final season too (even though she thought that serving as a judge on the show was a mistake on her part).  Paula and Simon are supposed to be back in some capacity.  Randy -- well, he hasn't even really been gone for that long, so it shouldn't be hard to get him back.  Even Mariah Carey was supposed to be making an appearance.  But where are they?

In my mind, I kind of envisioned a sort of 'judge reunion panel' -- not to actually judge anyone but sort of like what happens after Survivor, where all of the contestants reunite to discuss moments from the season with Jeff Probst.  I assumed the past Idol judges might gather to talk about highlights over the years, but something tells me that Simon wouldn't be up for that.

And then I pictured all of the past winners of Idol being announced one by one, coming out and taking a bow.  However, we've already seen winners and notable runners up, so I don't think that will happen.

My guess is that Carrie Underwood and Jennifer Hudson will appear in the finale.  (Carrie hasn't been on yet this season, correct?  Or did I just forget her?)  Mariah will probably show up then too.

Also, I should add that I don't think this is really the absolute, definite end for Idol.  What I am suspecting is that "they" (whoever that would be) will take a break for a few years, and then come back with an Idol reboot.  They will likely have all new judges.  They may even have a new host if Seacrest declines.  There will probably be some re-formatting of the show and the different stages of competition.  I don't think that a reboot will succeed in the long run.   People might tune in for a couple of episodes just to see what has changed, but if The Voice is still on the air at that time I suspect that Idol will hold very little interest anymore, after being gone for so long.  If The Voice is not on the air, then Idol might choose that time to strike and launch a comeback, but I still don't think it would ever be as popular or last as long as this current version.

• Love 4

I wonder if all of the judges from years past will be reuniting in 2 weeks, on the series finale? Steven Tyler said a few months ago that he would be part of the final season somehow, even if it's just a pre-recorded video message. Ellen DeGeneres said last year that she would appear at some point during the final season too (even though she thought that serving as a judge on the show was a mistake on her part). Paula and Simon are supposed to be back in some capacity. Randy -- well, he hasn't even really been gone for that long, so it shouldn't be hard to get him back. Even Mariah Carey was supposed to be making an appearance. But where are they?

In my mind, I kind of envisioned a sort of 'judge reunion panel' -- not to actually judge anyone but sort of like what happens after Survivor, where all of the contestants reunite to discuss moments from the season with Jeff Probst. I assumed the past Idol judges might gather to talk about highlights over the years, but something tells me that Simon wouldn't be up for that.

And then I pictured all of the past winners of Idol being announced one by one, coming out and taking a bow. However, we've already seen winners and notable runners up, so I don't think that will happen.

My guess is that Carrie Underwood and Jennifer Hudson will appear in the finale. (Carrie hasn't been on yet this season, correct? Or did I just forget her?) Mariah will probably show up then too.

Also, I should add that I don't think this is really the absolute, definite end for Idol. What I am suspecting is that "they" (whoever that would be) will take a break for a few years, and then come back with an Idol reboot. They will likely have all new judges. They may even have a new host if Seacrest declines. There will probably be some re-formatting of the show and the different stages of competition. I don't think that a reboot will succeed in the long run. People might tune in for a couple of episodes just to see what has changed, but if The Voice is still on the air at that time I suspect that Idol will hold very little interest anymore, after being gone for so long. If The Voice is not on the air, then Idol might choose that time to strike and launch a comeback, but I still don't think it would ever be as popular or last as long as this current version.

Awwww...you and i are "glass full" type of gals. Sometimes I'm told I'm naive or even gullible but i prefer to keep my rose-colored glasses on.

I hope that what you posted DOES happen, at least the "re-boot" part.

• Love 2

I like Sia. Beautiful,voice and so talented. I could do without the weird dancing in her videos.

I only believe in bussing if a contestant is fantastic and McKenzie is not. IMO he's barely a singer. Lol

• Love 2

Finally watched this week's show and I will be bummed if anyone but Trent walks away with this thing. He and LaPorsha should be the last two left standing but I worry that one of them will be bumped by Dalton or Mackenzie.

I liked Dalton a lot in the beginning but he has lost me over the past few weeks. I always like part of his performance but find other parts lacking. Mackenzie is a snoozefest.

Who the heck is dressing poor LaPorsha? The casual clothes she wears in rehearsals are far more flattering than the shiny Hefty bags she wears on stage every week.

• Love 6

Awwww...you and i are "glass full" type of gals. Sometimes I'm told I'm naive or even gullible but i prefer to keep my rose-colored glasses on.

I hope that what you posted DOES happen, at least the "re-boot" part.

I think the reason I have the reboot suspicion in my mind is that it was brought up in a survey I did last year.  The survey panel in question -- iCount -- specifically seems to gather data about the assorted talent-based reality shows (some game shows too), with a heavy emphasis on Idol.  At one time they were constantly asking us questions about how we would revamp Idol or if we thought it was past its prime.  Then they asked if we found Scott Borchetta to be creepy, so I had a feeling they were tuning in to what the viewers were saying last season.  One of the subjects in one of the surveys was how we would like it (or not) if Idol went away for a few years and then came back.  So, ever since I read that I have been thinking that there is a reboot plan in the works for a few years down the road.

Of course, that plan may never come to fruition, and even if it does it will probably be a flop, but I have a feeling that is the secret plan at the moment.

Because I was such a big fan of David Cook during his Idol days, I was sad that I didn't really enjoy his new song. It was derivative without a strong hook. What a waste because his voice is great. He should definitely find better songs.

• Love 5

I am saying pop music is about the singer's face, at least in part.

That's exactly why Simon Cowell "rejected" Jennifer Hudson (didn't think she "looked" like an American Idol)...and he wound up with egg on his face when she won her award for Dreamgirls.

think it's good that Sia is making people question these assumptions about pop music, i.e. that you need a beautiful face to sell it.  She is having no problem selling her music.  Looks are not IRRELEVANT to pop music, i.e. if you look "good" then you can sell music even when you're not a great singer, i.e. Britney Spears.  One could say that Sia is showing the reverse, that if you hide your face and sing WELL then you can also sell.

Totally agree with this entire paragraph.

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 2

It's kind of weird how when the camera pans to the contestants' chairs after another's performance, they're either doing this little golf clap or nothing.  Are none of them friends?  

I give the kids SO much slack on this because they are stressed about 1) thinking about their performance, before or after 2) waiting to be called to sing next 3) most performers have to be "in the zone" and be in solitude before giving a performance but these poor kids are just sitting out in the open. I'm sure a lot is on their minds besides clapping on cue.

Contestants from the early seasons had a much easier time. They get to decompress and wait backstage, away from the camera and the noise.

• Love 1

It does hide her entire head.  She only has her mouth exposed so she can sing.  I see what you mean about the camera shots.  That only happened on Idol because of the intimate discussion format.  When she performs live on all of those other shots, I don't think they do any fancy camerawork.

I know that she's obviously picked a 'look' that pisses people off, but I do think there is an element of her being a woman that makes her receive wrath that Daft Punk, Slipknot, etc. never will.  People act like they deserve to see her face.  Why?  Who cares.

Her music is not light-hearted to me at all, rather I feel like it is very emotional music.

Sia’s eyes, in fact any set of eyes, are a major tool of communication.  (I’ve no opinion on Daft Punk or Slipknot as I don’t listen to them, and barely know who they are.)  That’s why we say “the eyes are the windows to the soul”, and it is in fact a body language truism that we’re told not to trust people who won’t look you in the eyes, or who go about wearing sunglasses to shield their eyes.

I think it's quite a leap to start accusing women of being antifeminist when they simply want to be able to meet a basic human need to look someone in the eyes.

I think her IMDB "Personal Quotes" profile has a lot of this stuff.  

There was also a mild scandal at the time of the original show because it was said that, being local, she wasn't required to stay segregated in the mansion with the other contestants and could instead go home (to then-fiance or parents; not sure which).  

Lastly, she had a pretty notorious run in the press at the end of her previous series, Smash, when she was pictured making out with Mary McCormack's husband, one of their former directors, in a parking lot.

Because I was such a big fan of David Cook during his Idol days, I was sad that I didn't really enjoy his new song. It was derivative without a strong hook. What a waste because his voice is great. He should definitely find better songs.

I felt like that song was made for a stadium, funnily enough, it grew on me as it went on.

I think the reason I have the reboot suspicion in my mind is that it was brought up in a survey I did last year.  The survey panel in question -- iCount -- specifically seems to gather data about the assorted talent-based reality shows (some game shows too), with a heavy emphasis on Idol.  At one time they were constantly asking us questions about how we would revamp Idol or if we thought it was past its prime.  Then they asked if we found Scott Borchetta to be creepy, so I had a feeling they were tuning in to what the viewers were saying last season.  One of the subjects in one of the surveys was how we would like it (or not) if Idol went away for a few years and then came back.  So, ever since I read that I have been thinking that there is a reboot plan in the works for a few years down the road.

Of course, that plan may never come to fruition, and even if it does it will probably be a flop, but I have a feeling that is the secret plan at the moment.

I feel like they did the same survey; did they ask about the light-up chairs?

• Love 1

So I just watched Trent's highly-touted Sharp Dressed Man or whatever it is, and I must say that I was not impressed at all.  Other than the high notes, which are his signature, he reminded  me of a dressed-up lizard creeping across the stage.  I thought it was cringeworthy.

• Love 2