Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

It's The Duggar Delusion, a 2009 post on The Wartburg Watch. TWW is the blog of two Christian women who write about abuses committed by, and in, churches.

As Aja has written, it's refreshing to see that some Christians (evangelicals, too, IIRC) have been realistic, and critical of the Duggars. Well before either of the Josgates hit the media. They have other posts about the Duggars. I probably haven't read all of them. The page with search results when I searched the blog for Duggar is here.

Gothard has also been on their radar for awhile. In 2014 they wrote "The Duggars Promote Bill Gothard and the Pearls," which includes the Michelle outtake video, or maybe a different Michelle outtake video, I'm not sure - I'm posting on the fly here so please forgive my uncertainty on that. The post includes screenshots showing how the Duggars and Pearls cross-promoted each other, including an Amazon "blitz" to sell books. This is IMO important because it documents what the Duggars, once they got rolling as faux reality TV stars, have tried to scrub out of their history.

As someone said, the squirmy kids video is so sad as evidence oflack of attachment between mother and kids. But OTOH, it gave me hope that those younger kids were not subjected to blanket training. The sad alternative theory is that Michelle, with cameras rolling for her TH, didn't feel free to utter dire threats to instill enough fear/terror to shut the kids down. 

I'm not a parent, but if any of my nieces or friends' children started getting bored sitting on their mother's knee while she talked to someone else, they'd be allowed to get down and go and play. It felt to me like Michelle was so desperate to appear to be a loving mother that she HAD to have a child on her knee, and letting the child (Johannah?) down would suggest that she wasn't. Poor J-girl had probably been sitting on her ex-buddy's knee being ignored and restrained in a 'loving cuddle' for ages.

That Michelle couldn't discipline her young child made me think that she has no idea what to do. She could have asked the cameras to switch off while she corrected in private . It seems to me that Michelle didn't want the cameras to see a. her foisting a child off to Jana etc for discipline, b. her usual methods, because hitting/threatening etc. would cast her in a bad light, or c. just her 'failing' to be able to hold her child.

• Love 2

My copy of People (don't judge me, I had airline miles that were about to expire so I turned them into like 8 magazine subscriptions) came in the mail yesterday.

What a load of BS.

Here's what the little blurbs about each kid say,

Joy, 18: Is finishing their home-school curriculum (I thought they finished at 16). Helps with the family real estate busy biy painting an tiling. Also does party planning (Maybe she's apprenticing with Sierra.)

Jana, 26: Handles the design for the houses the family flips (Jana - Architect/Interior Designer, yup). "Ripping out walls, painting, putting in electrical outlets and light fixtures--it's a lot of fun." (more like lots of code violations.)

Jinger, 22: Buys, restores, and sells cars. (Really?!) Works in a prison ministry--at max security & juvenile prisons.

John-David, 26: Pilot.  Part-time police officer (Lie.  Constable does not equal police officer).  Helps with the family real estate and used car business (I thought Boob got rid of the used car lot)

Josiah, 19: Working towards his pilot's license.  Does the prison ministry thing with Jinger.

Joseph, 21: Went to Clown College for a year and now is back in the family business (grifting).

Ben, 20: Being a new dad. Finishing undergraduate studies online at Moody Bible Institute. Volunteers at a local church.  Bible study every Friday and has friends over to talk.  (But no job)

Jessa, 23: Stay-at-home mom.  Still into date nights.  Exploring adoption but won't proceed until Spurge is 9 months old.

The Dullards didn't rate blurbs.

Oh God.  This show is going to be a hot, hot, hot, piled of steamed garbage, mess.  It's going to be a combination of all of the desperate reality show tropes we've come to know and loathe from when basic cable has hit the end of the interest rope with a family.  We have the party planning ala Little People Big World (which means that "tree house" may well be Sierra and Joy's Wedding Gazebo of Class, Y'all, packages include Ben, the hippest mouth-breathing internet preacher who can also fix your windshield in your driveway), the innumberable and interminable house flipping shows (though this time we all get to cringe as the girls rip out tile and dry wall in flip flops, beat THAT Chip and Johanna Gains with your awesome farm, quit faith, and reasonable number of adorable, reasonably well behaved children), followed up with a bunch of stuff they stole from the Alaska Exploitation trend a couple of years ago but stripped of anything that makes that show remotely interesting (piloting small planes, minus the bush, plus a Duggar; law enforcement minus the wilderness, drugs, extreme weather).  

What I can't figure out is why they haven't hopped on the gold mining/precious gems train yet, or unless they're holding out for that when the whole surviving/thriving/exploiting the worst period in our lives that we've repeatedly assured you wasn't even *THAT BAD* thing wears out and/or the next scandal breaks.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 6

What I can't figure out is why they haven't hopped on the gold mining/precious gems train yet, or unless they're holding out for that when the whole surviving/thriving/exploiting the worst period in our lives that we've repeatedly assured you wasn't even *THAT BAD* thing wears out and/or the next scandal breaks.

Someone at TLC just knocked over the paperclip holder trying to get to the phone when they read that. Again.

• Love 5

John David is a reserve police officer not a part-time officer. He is, in my opinion, a joke to the law enforcement field. Please do not get me wrong. I have respect for reserve officers and deputies, but in the case of John David, I would rather paint a bullseye on my house and back and take my chances with criminals before I would call him to help me.

Scriggle, thanks for the breakdown!!!

Oh Duggars, you are such a pathetic bunch of lying liars who lie. Jana and Joy work in real estate? And Jinger visits maximum security prisons?! Names, dates and times, on that one please. I need to see some receipts.

Bin is finishing a Bible Degree? Since when? And from what online diploma mill?

These people are such a joke.

Here's my official PTV bio:

BitterApple, former Miss Universe. Long lost heir to the British throne. Invented the Internet and spends her spare time climbing Everest and traveling to Mars. Turned down an offer to play the Bond girl in the latest movie.

That's about how ridiculous the Duggars' faux resumes sound.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 19

John David is a reserve police officer not a part-time officer. He is, in my opinion, a joke to the law enforcement field. Please do not get me wrong. I have respect for reserve officers and deputies, but in the case of John David, I would rather paint a bullseye on my house and back and take my chances with criminals before I would call him to help me.

Ah, but you'd call Jana to design and build your house, right? Including the electrical?

For people who appear to do absolutely nothing, they've developed an impressive list of professional skills.

I mean, Jinger restores cars. Who knew?

And who knew that they were so down with women developing traditional male job skills like construction boss and mechanic?

It's all so transparently FU Internetz. We do too have skills and important jobs in the community. We are not sexist in awarding jurisdictions.

And then on the show they sit on the couch and bat around coy questions and coyer answers about who'll next be "courting."

• Love 2

OK, this is REALLY starting to bend me out of shape. Just call the show Not Jill and Jessa: Counting On. I mean, is this getting weird or am I just in a really boring place in my life right now?

My theory is that the Dullards have tumbled to the fact that the public is actually scrutinizing their mission-cation. They have to maintain the appearance of being too deeply involved in their ministry to have a current connection to the super-dee-dooper new TV show. They'll keep a low profile in order to build demand, then mark my words: they'll turn it into a heartfelt episode: Jill and Derrick return from 'overseas' because of the danger of contracting zika. Probably pregnant, or will announce shortly thereafter. It's all theater, no substance.

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 7

When I was desperate for money in college, I modeled for an art class. "Supermodel/performance artist." To supplement my student loans, I was a store manager at a Blockbuster. "Upper management--corporate." These days when I'm feeling the pinch, I dog sit frequently. "animal behaviorist, nutrition and excrement expert". If reality TV falls through, they could always go into business bullshitting peoples' resumes for them.

• Love 14

You all are so clever! I watched a few of these shows early on but when Jim Boob made Mechelle fix his breakfast and trim his hair before they went to the hospital WHILE she was in labor, I thought these people are crazy,sick or whatever and quit watching.

Edited by hoosiermom
  • Love 7

My truth be told resume for the Dugglings:

Joy, 18, homeschools the younger children, dresses, feeds and cleans her buddies.

Jana 26, cooks for entire family, opens mail from donations given to us, sleeps in dorm with children.

Jinger, 22, dreams of buying a car one day, visits Josh in prayer prison, does 5 loads of laundry a day, sleeps in children's dorm, takes care of children.

John David,26,  JB's private pilot.

Josiah, 19, works in family business of courting or trying to court for a living. Sleeps in children's dorm.

Joseph, 21, comes up with new ideas for grifting for family. Sleeps in children's dorm.

Ben, 20, unemployed husband and father, names son Spurgeon.

Jessa, 23, goes courting, get's married, gives birth for living.

• Love 18

With all of the house design talk, I'm wondering if they're aiming towards a house flipping show for the kids. If they ever get dumped by TLC, they can always run to HGTV or FYI.

$20 says that this show (including the Benham Brothers) has already been pitched to FYI or Up. HGTV won't touch it because of the religious content. They also seem to be somewhat allergic to scandal. It's bad for business.

One must also wonder if the Duggars will "accidentally" run into the Property Brothers somewhere and try to set up a crossover episode. I realize the Property Brothers is scripted as well, but I would love to see the look on Jonathan Scott's face when he's told that Janarella is really a "contractor and designer". Maybe Jim Boob printed a contractor's license off for Janarella!

Jinger restoring cars is a total F.U. Interwebz clap back. It's the Duggars way of saying "See we let our delicate little wimmin do manly things! Now get off our backs you Godless, liberal heathens!!!"

One has to wonder what type of cars Jinger is "restoring"; our (professional) mechanic told us that late-model cars are too technical for most besides a formally trained and certified auto mechanic.

• Love 8

And one more thing. There was an article in US this week stating that Amy must be "chaperoned" when she visits with her cousins.

Just throwing this one out here, and I realize we're talking about FAMY, who will do anything to get on TV: How many would cut ties with those family members immediately and irrevocably? At the risk of being called unforgiving and cold, why does she bother having any contact with the Duggars at all? The things that happened to the Duggar daughters (while their parents were allegedly in control) are more damaging than viewing Amy's bartending accoutrements or hearing her or her husband use the occasional obscenity in conversation. What kind of cast-iron-steel balls does it take to demand that a family member (who has no previous reports of illegal or harmful behavior) be supervised during visits while allowing unfettered access to one's molesting progeny, not to mention the parental demands that the previously molested "forgive" their brother as well?

IMHO of course, and maybe FAMY is a kinder person than I. I'd make it my life's mission to dredge up every shred of embarrassing or shocking "family secrets" re: Jim Boob and J-Chelle and leak like a sieve to any tabloid that would listen as a result.

• Love 12

These bios are what we can expect from the Lying Liars Who Lie (I love that to whoever brought that phrase here) aka, The Amazing, Quivering Duggars. These bogus Duggar profiles remind me of the bullshit bios written for the chicks who posed naked for Playboy, with an 'about me' paragraph akin to 'doctoral candidate, Astrophysics; spends weekends donating time and professional building skills to Habitat for Humanity; President in the Women For World Peace.org; regularly heals wounded animals via Healing Touch; loves spending time with her grandmother; church deacon.'

You were way ahead in the game, Hoosiermom! You haven't missed a thing. Except lies, lies, and more lies. Oh, and a heaping, industrial strength dose of self righteousness.

I've been following all things duggar since Josh was outed. I guess I was right. They are crazy AND sick. Love this forum. Keep up the good snark! Edited by hoosiermom
  • Love 3

And one more thing. There was an article in US this week stating that Amy must be "chaperoned" when she visits with her cousins.

Just throwing this one out here, and I realize we're talking about FAMY, who will do anything to get on TV: How many would cut ties with those family members immediately and irrevocably? At the risk of being called unforgiving and cold, why does she bother having any contact with the Duggars at all? The things that happened to the Duggar daughters (while their parents were allegedly in control) are more damaging than viewing Amy's bartending accoutrements or hearing her or her husband use the occasional obscenity in conversation. What kind of cast-iron-steel balls does it take to demand that a family member (who has no previous reports of illegal or harmful behavior) be supervised during visits while allowing unfettered access to one's molesting progeny, not to mention the parental demands that the previously molested "forgive" their brother as well?

IMHO of course, and maybe FAMY is a kinder person than I. I'd make it my life's mission to dredge up every shred of embarrassing or shocking "family secrets" re: Jim Boob and J-Chelle and leak like a sieve to any tabloid that would listen as a result.

Cuz that's the way the Duggars roll. I think they believe the devil's entry into ones's heart is through an unsaved human. Pants wearing, alcohol drinking Amy could entice the girls into thinking Amy has fun, and before they could confess to mom & dad about their longing thoughts - BAM - fortress in heart, knee caps showing, and a bare shoulder.

• Love 6

My truth be told resume for the Dugglings:

Joy, 18, homeschools the younger children, dresses, feeds and cleans her buddies.

Jana 26, cooks for entire family, opens mail from donations given to us, sleeps in dorm with children.

Jinger, 22, dreams of buying a car one day, visits Josh in prayer prison, does 5 loads of laundry a day, sleeps in children's dorm, takes care of children.

John David,26,  JB's private pilot.

Josiah, 19, works in family business of courting or trying to court for a living. Sleeps in children's dorm.

Joseph, 21, comes up with new ideas for grifting for family. Sleeps in children's dorm.

Ben, 20, unemployed husband and father, names son Spurgeon.

Jessa, 23, goes courting, get's married, gives birth for living.

This can all be put into one sentence: They did diddly squat except hoping their reality show would come back. 

• Love 7

I wonder if Jinger could even tell you the difference in types of wrenches.

Also, not for nothing but if I was told my cousins weren't allowed to see me without a chaperone, those would be the last said cousins would ever see me.  

Either the famewhoring is just that desperate strong with Famy, or she is a selfless paragon with perfect (or no) self-esteem.

• Love 2

It's The Duggar Delusion, a 2009 post on The Wartburg Watch. TWW is the blog of two Christian women who write about abuses committed by, and in, churches.

As Aja has written, it's refreshing to see that some Christians (evangelicals, too, IIRC) have been realistic, and critical of the Duggars. Well before either of the Josgates hit the media. They have other posts about the Duggars. I probably haven't read all of them. The page with search results when I searched the blog for Duggar is here.

Gothard has also been on their radar for awhile. In 2014 they wrote "The Duggars Promote Bill Gothard and the Pearls," which includes the Michelle outtake video, or maybe a different Michelle outtake video, I'm not sure - I'm posting on the fly here so please forgive my uncertainty on that. The post includes screenshots showing how the Duggars and Pearls cross-promoted each other, including an Amazon "blitz" to sell books. This is IMO important because it documents what the Duggars, once they got rolling as faux reality TV stars, have tried to scrub out of their history.

As someone said, the squirmy kids video is so sad as evidence oflack of attachment between mother and kids. But OTOH, it gave me hope that those younger kids were not subjected to blanket training. The sad alternative theory is that Michelle, with cameras rolling for her TH, didn't feel free to utter dire threats to instill enough fear/terror to shut the kids down. 

Thanks. I know TWW, but I'd never seen that clip before. Mechelle was sure sporting quite the wedding set, not the oh-so-modest wedding band she usually wears when filming now. 

Seeing Hannie then vs. now is disheartening. She's only 10, but she's already broken. Jackson? I don't see much change in that one. 

• Love 1

Because, Jesus.

And $$$$$$. 

eta: I checked out Moody Bible Institute (hey, I've been sick for 10 days, indulge me here). They have ACTUAL accreditation for non-religious/music degrees. However, they don't offer a Poli-Sci degree, so Ben has to change majors FOR THE THIRD TIME. I wonder if he's majoring in Intercultural and Racial Studies and that rap CD he made with Flame is for school? LOLOLOLOLOL

Or not. I just found the selection of online degrees they offer, and the pickins are slim and won't offer a legitimate degree. 

http://www.moody.edu/distance-learning/undergraduate-programs/

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5

By the end of that video Michelle looked like she was ready to throw both kids out the window. Granted, toddlers can be a pain in the ass, but if your children are that restless and cranky, put them down and let them go off and play. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall and seen how Michelle acted when the camera crews weren't around.

Was she a screamer or did she just go in her bedroom, lock the door and let the J'Slaves deal with everyone?

• Love 3

Jana- if you are interested in a real design job in the outside world, the architectural firm my son works at is hiring. Too bad your sleazy brother isn't still living in Maryland cuz the firm is close by where they lived & you could have stayed there. (I'm sorry I have to get on my soap box again, but as a Marylander, it drove me nuts that they referred to Smugs & Anna living in "the DC area" rarely mentioning it was actually a Maryland suburb. I know the reason- "DC area" sounds much more glamorous & prestigious to the TV viewers & Joshley's ego, He may have worked in DC, but they lived in Maryland & he commuted as many people in Maryland & Virginia do. It's not a big deal.) Back to Jana....I'm not sure if they'll take your SOTDRT diploma as your only schooling since your coworkers will have real college Bachelor & Masters degrees. (Unlike your BIL Ben.) And your parents may not allow it cuz most of their work is designing educational brick & mortar schools, which the heathen children attend. (No offense to real home schooled children.)

Someone mentioned earlier that in the video with MEchelle & the kids she says Brother instead of Jackson. Previous posters have said it's a southern thing & it's easier to just say Brother or Sister than naming the child. In MEchelle's case, I know it has to be cuz she can't remember the kid's name. Just another example where the kids aren't considered individuals.

• Love 5

And $$$$$$. 

eta: I checked out Moody Bible Institute (hey, I've been sick for 10 days, indulge me here). They have ACTUAL accreditation for non-religious/music degrees. However, they don't offer a Poli-Sci degree, so Ben has to change majors FOR THE THIRD TIME. I wonder if he's majoring in Intercultural and Racial Studies and that rap CD he made with Flame is for school? LOLOLOLOLOL

Or not. I just found the selection of online degrees they offer, and the pickins are slim and won't offer a legitimate degree. 

http://www.moody.edu/distance-learning/undergraduate-programs/

Ben has stated that he wants to be an actor or a minister.  You can do either of those without any kind of a college degree.  To be a preacher at a mega church, however, usually requires a doctorate.  All Ben is doing is taking online classes.  Two years of online classes at that school are going to cost him $21,000! (Of course, he will expect Jessa to pay for that.)

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 1

It doesn't matter how many degrees Bin takes, it's TLC that is his ticket to his ministry job.  He is not a good candidate for tv personality, minister, or rapper because has no charisma, and is barely able to speak English. Pretty big deficiencies for acting or preaching. He really seems to think highly of himself, yet doesn't seem confident (he is the submissive one in the relationship from what I can see). It's a strange combination.

• Love 12

Ben has stated that he wants to be an actor or a minister.  You can do either of those without any kind of a college degree.  To be a preacher at a mega church, however, usually requires a doctorate.  All Ben is doing is taking online classes.  Two years of online classes at that school are going to cost him $21,000! (Of course, he will expect Jessa to pay for that.)

He's got the same delusions as Marjorie, and in his case they can definitely be laid at the foot of the TV show, IMO.  "Actor" = "ebil librul Hollywood", and he's an idiot if he thinks anything else, or that someone's going to let him go.  There was enough of a scandal with my much more liberal parents when I announced I wanted to write for television as a teen, and that can mostly be done anywhere.  Nobody in the world can make it as an actor without first being in a central hub for auditioning, casting, etc., for multiple years.

• Love 1

He's got the same delusions as Marjorie, and in his case they can definitely be laid at the foot of the TV show, IMO.  "Actor" = "ebil librul Hollywood", and he's an idiot if he thinks anything else, or that someone's going to let him go.  There was enough of a scandal with my much more liberal parents when I announced I wanted to write for television as a teen, and that can mostly be done anywhere.  Nobody in the world can make it as an actor without first being in a central hub for auditioning, casting, etc., for multiple years.

Ben being an actor or an educated preacher is as likely as me growing a penis. It ain't gonna happen.

• Love 12

Unfortunately for Bin he doesn't project well and has a horrible speaking voice. Everytime he talks I want to buy him Benadryl and tissues.

Hey, maybe he could be a spokesmodel for Binadryl.

I suppose I shouldn't give them ideas.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14

Ben being an actor or an educated preacher is as likely as me growing a penis. It ain't gonna happen.

Seriously -- with what? MOST who aspire to acting (or to pastoring a mega-church) have a personality and/or talent people can't look away from. Or they're so handsome/beautiful that it doesn't matter if they have talent because people can't stop looking at them. Bin doesn't have either. And it's something that can't be manufactured. Imagine the fun when he ends up performing his "Christian rap".

Instead of getting a job and being responsible, it's all about the big dollars for Bin, isn't it? He must REALLY be special!

• Love 1

I could see Ben as a youth pastor at a fundie church.  He wouldn't have to give sermons, just lead kids in prayer and act all serious while listening to their problems.  He has a sideways hat, muscles, he raps, and he's married so his lust is controlled.  He should be a good fit somewhere.  Of course, I guess I should mention that any church that wants him won't pay anything decent. but hey, it's all about Jesus anyway!

It reminds me of the church group I belonged to as a teen.  It was Presbyterian, it was cool, and over 120 kids attended.  It was a really great way to talk to guys.  We went on ski trips, mission trips, and visited various churches and synagogues.  It was so much fun, and no Duggar would be allowed near it.  Too bad.

• Love 6

I still remember the one episode when they went to support some movie (Fireproof?) and after watching it JBlob said that he would take his family to the movies if more good Christian ones like that were made.  I remember shouting "No way!"  First of all it would be him, JShell, and at least 10 of the kids.  12 people x $12 per person (give or take - don't know their movie prices) = $144!  NO WAY is Mr. Buy Used and Save the Difference going to pay $144 so his family can be entertained for 2 houses.  Who buys this crap that comes outta his mouth?

But yet again we should all go see these movies and support them with our $$

Naw. JB will troll Groupon for $5 movie w/drink tickets. Once there, he'll try to swindle the manager into giving them free popcorn. 

• Love 2

I could see Ben as a youth pastor at a fundie church. 

Any church large enough to hire Bin to be a "youth pastor" is going to be looking for someone that has a degree and is most likely doing post-grad work when he's not taking the youth group to the local homeless shelter or playing midnight basketball. There's one more thing that might make problems for ol' Bin: There were three youth pastors in my 10+ years of being involved with the youth group at my former fundie church. (They dragged us to Bill Gothard's Institute in Basic Youth Conflicts every summer, too. In other words, I'm old.) Back to the point: Things don't go well for many wives of the youth group pastors, and I don't see Jessa Blessa in that role.

The first youth group pastor and his wife accepted a huge promotion to a much larger church. The second youth group pastor was promoted to head pastor of our church and his wife began exhibiting significant problems with depression. To say that it is a challenge to deal with being a pastor's wife is an understatement. One is expected to be perfect, your children must be perfect, and you must deal with a husband who is not home most of the time, dealing with a large number of teenagers or acts like one himself. They left our church and the pastor took a job at the local Assembly of God district office. His wife needed therapy for years afterward. The third pastor's story is the saddest. His quiet, shy wife could not handle the pressure of living in a fishbowl and ended up seeking help as well. He left the ministry as a result and I never heard what happened to his wife.

Jessa Blessa does not extend herself. She could not handle the normal problems of teens. She and her husband are so rigid that the hint of anything but the narrow and judgmental lives they lead will send them both into a tizzy. As someone has said previously, they're about 10 years behind the times with pop culture references and any type of "typical" behavior. The leghumpers will love it but their efforts to "win the lost" won't be successful. And Bin will be presented with an awful lot of temptation in the form of late teens-early 20's women who are a lot easier to please than his own wife.

• Love 10

Any church large enough to hire Bin to be a "youth pastor" is going to be looking for someone that has a degree and is most likely doing post-grad work when he's not taking the youth group to the local homeless shelter or playing midnight basketball. There's one more thing that might make problems for ol' Bin: There were three youth pastors in my 10+ years of being involved with the youth group at my former fundie church. (They dragged us to Bill Gothard's Institute in Basic Youth Conflicts every summer, too. In other words, I'm old.) Back to the point: Things don't go well for many wives of the youth group pastors, and I don't see Jessa Blessa in that role.

The first youth group pastor and his wife accepted a huge promotion to a much larger church. The second youth group pastor was promoted to head pastor of our church and his wife began exhibiting significant problems with depression. To say that it is a challenge to deal with being a pastor's wife is an understatement. One is expected to be perfect, your children must be perfect, and you must deal with a husband who is not home most of the time, dealing with a large number of teenagers or acts like one himself. They left our church and the pastor took a job at the local Assembly of God district office. His wife needed therapy for years afterward. The third pastor's story is the saddest. His quiet, shy wife could not handle the pressure of living in a fishbowl and ended up seeking help as well. He left the ministry as a result and I never heard what happened to his wife.

Jessa Blessa does not extend herself. She could not handle the normal problems of teens. She and her husband are so rigid that the hint of anything but the narrow and judgmental lives they lead will send them both into a tizzy. As someone has said previously, they're about 10 years behind the times with pop culture references and any type of "typical" behavior. The leghumpers will love it but their efforts to "win the lost" won't be successful. And Bin will be presented with an awful lot of temptation in the form of late teens-early 20's women who are a lot easier to please than his own wife.

All of this! I'm heavily involved in youth and children's ministry and it's no walk in the park. You have to be called to do it and have a true heart for children/youth. I can't see Ben nor Jessa being able to keep up with the demands, especially when you throw in the fact that you could get paid more doing other jobs.

• Love 5

Ben and Jessa could not be in the ministry in a mainstream church.

I have my teens in church and many of them are in bad shape. Youth ministers usually work their butts off with teens espeically in large churches with a big outreach program, which are the churches who hire youth ministers. A youth minister is not needed with 10 teens.

Jessa and Ben can only function in a rigid, strict, isolated environment.

I don't doubt that Ben actually means well but he is not the right person at this time. maybe he will grow, evolve and change into a kinder, more graceful and merciful man but right now? Troubled teens don't need a know it all in a backwards hat. Jessa would tolerate about 6 minutes of being a youth pastors wife and that would be the end of that.

Gothard is probably not hiring at the moment...kinda busy with a lawsuit? ;)

Ben is probably better suited to mowing lawns and posting FB rants that we can snark on.

• Love 6

Ben might get a job in a IFB church doing youth ministry. If the father in the book I Fired God was hired as a youth pastor I suppose anyone could be. But we're talking a little one-room-schoolhouse type of church, not a mega-church. Not enough to feed his pretty boy ego, or his growing family.

• Love 6

Unfortunately for Bin he doesn't project well and has a horrible speaking voice. Everytime he talks I want to buy him Benadryl and tissues.

Marjorie has much more poise and speaking ability than Bin, though, if her over-the-top courtship announcement is any indication.

• Love 3

Marjorie has much more poise and speaking ability than Bin, though, if her over-the-top courtship announcement is any indication.

Maybe Marjorie has had classes or lessons.  (Not that I guarantee they helped, or would help Bin.  She may just have a starter wellspring of natural talent.)  

Making some good points here about Jessa.  I'd say and agree, in retrospect, and I may have said it before, that your "preacher's wife" candidate is Jana, though she's aging out of the likely chunk where nascent ministers are unattached.  At least she is others-centered, a big plus over Jessa.

• Love 9

Ben and Jessa could not be in the ministry in a mainstream church.

I have my teens in church and many of them are in bad shape. Youth ministers usually work their butts off with teens espeically in large churches with a big outreach program, which are the churches who hire youth ministers. A youth minister is not needed with 10 teens.

Jessa and Ben can only function in a rigid, strict, isolated environment.

I don't doubt that Ben actually means well but he is not the right person at this time. maybe he will grow, evolve and change into a kinder, more graceful and merciful man but right now? Troubled teens don't need a know it all in a backwards hat. Jessa would tolerate about 6 minutes of being a youth pastors wife and that would be the end of that.

Gothard is probably not hiring at the moment...kinda busy with a lawsuit? ;)

Ben is probably better suited to mowing lawns and posting FB rants that we can snark on.

The last thing any church needs is dumb ass Ben trying to lead anyone.  He has zero real life experience and no way to help anyone, let alone a teen in the real world with real issues (at home, etc).  What would his guidance/advice consist of?  Marry a Duggar and clean toilets for the rest of your life?  Pffft - gimme a break.  He needs to get a real job, his own home (not paid for by dimbob) and support his own family.  Then he can consider providing counseling and guidance to someone else. 

• Love 10

The last thing any church needs is dumb ass Ben trying to lead anyone.  He has zero real life experience and no way to help anyone, let alone a teen in the real world with real issues (at home, etc).  What would his guidance/advice consist of?  Marry a Duggar and clean toilets for the rest of your life?  Pffft - gimme a break.  He needs to get a real job, his own home (not paid for by dimbob) and support his own family.  Then he can consider providing counseling and guidance to someone else.

Might be time to missioncate.

If the Dullards can get away with it serve others in need...

• Love 5

Ben might get a job in a IFB church doing youth ministry. If the father in the book I Fired God was hired as a youth pastor I suppose anyone could be. But we're talking a little one-room-schoolhouse type of church, not a mega-church. Not enough to feed his pretty boy ego, or his growing family.

But what a quaint church for TLC.

Bin can probably get a job with his bible believing degree. Maybe not at a mainstream church, but it's unlikely that's his target anyway. If TLC is still around, he just needs to spend an hour or so per week filming youth ministry. They can set up a charity  and double dip like the Dullards.

• Love 4

Bin can probably get a job with his bible believing degree.

If he gets a bible-believing degree! So far all we have is a rumor of one online course. And he's probably starting at or nearly from scratch with the religion courses, since his community college degree was either in business or something related to political science .... (or both. ha)

If he has to be Jessa's day help every time she's pregnant, plus do filming and clean Jim Bob's sewage chambers, it's going to be a while before he cobbles together even another associates' degree. A long while, I'm thinking.

Even if he got it, though, I have a hard time seeing him getting a job with it unless the education process really improves him. Hard to see him being flexible and warm enough to really work well with a bunch of kids; working with kids also tends to require hard work, mentally, physically and emotionally, and that's not down the Duggar alley; he's always madly trying to be someone he's not by impersonating someone hip and cool -- which doesn't go over well with kids; he seems to live to pontificate -- which doesn't go over well with kids either; and he doesn't even pontificate clearly -- usually what he says makes no sense. And those are just a few of his non-qualifications, seems to me. I would think most anybody would have better candidates for the job.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

The last thing any church needs is dumb ass Ben trying to lead anyone. He has zero real life experience and no way to help anyone, let alone a teen in the real world with real issues (at home, etc). What would his guidance/advice consist of? Marry a Duggar and clean toilets for the rest of your life? Pffft - gimme a break. He needs to get a real job, his own home (not paid for by dimbob) and support his own family. Then he can consider providing counseling and guidance to someone else.

Bin is a little pissant. He's only 20 or 21 and thinks he can provide others with Godly wisdom? Fuck him. That's what bothers me about the Duggars. So little life experience, so much ignorance and a know-it-all attitude.

• Love 15

Bin is a little pissant. He's only 20 or 21 and thinks he can provide others with Godly wisdom? Fuck him. That's what bothers me about the Duggars. So little life experience, so much ignorance and a know-it-all attitude.

That's the thing.... he's a typical older teen/early 20s kid who thinks he knows everything (as the parent of two in this age group I know about this LOL)  The attitude isn't unusual for the age. The problem is the Duggars never grow out of it. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 13