Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

And Swanson and his ilk are absolutely convinced that they should be running the whole world.

Kill me now. Please.

ETA That graveyard imagery is incredibly disturbing, now that I think about it. Ick.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 2

Lets keep the discussion on the Duggars in relations to the Media and TLC. The thread is not for bringing up certain people and their views on birth control. Take the discussion someplace else. Posts going off topic will be hidden or deleted at the discretion of the mods. Thank you.

Yeah, JimBoob - way to go, buddy ! You're a paragon of virtue to be emulated and revered. I can't wait to see what the rest of your accomplishments brings ! Maybe when the world learns that 2/3rds of your children are functional illiterates,  all of your daughters are "midwives" but none can successfully deliver a child without almost dying, and the ambient glow of your hubris causes your wife's eyes to finally pop right the hell out of her skull then you'll finally, finally learn...

But I doubt it. 

Post Of The Day. And this explains it all -- Jim Boob thinks we're all jellus (Official Duggar Spelling) of him and his household. One has to wonder if anyone in their lives, up to and including TLC, will ever sit him down and explain that to the rest of the world, he's a "don't do this".

• Love 8

Far more powerful and lucrative tv stars don't have that sort of control over content/editing, I can't see JimBob having it. He's not a producer and he wouldn't know how to argue with a team of producers.

When the Smuggars moved to DC all he could actually do to express his displeasure was delay their furniture delivery by a single day by absconding with it with a BS side trip to the Bates. TLC supported the Smuggars in DC by having them be the B storylines, I doubt JimBob was on board with that either, if he had any input that would not have happened.

While overnighting with the Bates, Josh and Anna decided to get a real early start, ahead of the Duggars and the furniture. It was super early and Josh woke JimBob ty tell him they were leaving. Michelle was NOT sleeping next to him!

Another time, Josh woke his dad very early for breakfast in bed. Again, NO Michelle sleeping next to him!

Both times, JimBob was truly sleeping (versus fake reality TV sleeping). He looks absolutely horrible without his half can of aqua spray and his TLC makeup.

• Love 1

My Post of the Day, cmr2014 ! I agree 100% - JB, as ringmaster of the dog and pony show, is the most delusional person I've ever seen on television. 

In his beamingly Gothard-addled mind, he probably thinks we all aspire to live on the edge of financial ruin, with eleventy-whatever kids wearing raggy hand-me-downs from a communal bucket and sporting shitty thrift-store shoes. That we should all want to come to the "rescue" of TLC, instead of the other way around, to present our Godly, holy, precious selves for filming (...and so they can finish building the house we spent three years fucking up !)

We should be in AWE of his Headship ! How else would we know that one slice of processed cheese and three grapes are what good, down-home families eat for a nutritious lunch ? Or that having wild, out of control, inarticulate, uneducated children running all over the house with their filthy feet and licking tongues isn't the best of what God planned for us ? 

The cumulative damage they've done to the hapless, helpless, running-in-place Duggarlings is absolutely staggering to me. So far, the only ones to "make it out" consist of a child molester who made, then abandoned, a family of five, an erstwhile "missionary" and her hanger-on of a husband who grift from the poorest of the poor while doing her damnedest to place herself and her unborn child in danger as a "midwife" in the most generous possible sense of the word, and a do-nothing, selfie-obsessed, preening beauty queen and her do-nothing stay at home hubby/dad who won't, apparently, get a JOB, but will change all the diapers for the princess as they scrape omelets from a paper plate that Jana made but Michelle wrote their names on. In Sharpie marker. 

Yeah, JimBoob - way to go, buddy ! You're a paragon of virtue to be emulated and revered. I can't wait to see what the rest of your accomplishments brings ! Maybe when the world learns that 2/3rds of your children are functional illiterates,  all of your daughters are "midwives" but none can successfully deliver a child without almost dying, and the ambient glow of your hubris causes your wife's eyes to finally pop right the hell out of her skull then you'll finally, finally learn...

But I doubt it.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!!

• Love 3

Another time, Josh woke his dad very early for breakfast in bed. Again, NO Michelle sleeping next to him!

One has to wonder if the crib in Jim Boob and J-Chelle's bedroom was replaced with a second queen sized bed, or if he is sleeping in an another area of the house.

This could also explain why everything out of Jim Boob's mouth is sex sex sex sex sex. You know what the kids say -- those who are talking about it aren't doing it.

• Love 5

While overnighting with the Bates, Josh and Anna decided to get a real early start, ahead of the Duggars and the furniture. It was super early and Josh woke JimBob ty tell him they were leaving. Michelle was NOT sleeping next to him!

Both times, JimBob was truly sleeping (versus fake reality TV sleeping). He looks absolutely horrible without his half can of aqua spray and his TLC makeup.

Oh, don't worry...either it was a fake set-up or Mullet scurried out of the screen-shot or had to be edited out, per order of JB. It would've been Bikini-gate all over again...men all over the world fantasizing about mattress-laying Mullet,  leaving their wives , divorcing, etc. Phew.

Also: I still maintain JB is painting Jana as a domestic prize...we'll see if this changes once the show isn't (supposedly ) his to control.

• Love 1

Good point, Suz, about staying at an undisclosed location. I wonder if this was a strategy all along; we have been hearing buzz the one of the molestation victims would sue, also. He more or less was outed as being at RU but perhaps he has been moved elsewhere in light of this latest.

Thanks for an overview of the process, too.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2

I doubt he'll have a "court date" where he'd have to personally appear, for years, if that, in this case. If the case survives motions to dismiss, at some point he'd be required to appear at a deposition where he'd be questioned under oath by the plaintiffs' lawyer. However, a deposition in a civil case is not automatically a matter of open court record. It's part of "discovery" - meaning information in the form of documents and witness statements and depositions that the parties share with each other before the case is ready for trial. 

I'm not a PA lawyer, but generally the next step in this case is for the plaintiff to serve Josh with the summons and complaint (or whatever those documents are called in PA). Which could be tricky, because they have to FIND him and serve him. I assume that Josh has not waived service of process. 

Once he's been served, he'll have a period of time in which to file an answer. At that point I assume his lawyers will file motions to dismiss.

All that stuff will take time.

This certainly gives Josh a good reason to stay at an "undisclosed location" for as long as he can - to avoid getting served with the lawsuit.

My very brief knowledge of civil litigation in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania lets me know that service of process must be undertaken by the county sheriff in the county in which the suit is filed deputized individual (aka Process Server) and can be done by mail or "alternative means" if the subject is avoiding being served. Sadly,  PA actually does not allow someone to be served via Facebook or other social media.  (I have a bunch of friends who are lawyers in PA and am currently kinda sorta involved in a litigation.)

• Love 3

Saw the preview for the new episodes while watching Sister Wives Tell Nothing. I didn't know they dragged Anna out to get more nibbles! She is such a bad actor and shame on them all using her like that. How humiliating.

Jessa rubs me the wrong way always. She sticks that chin out and basically gives that smug smile like "FU all. I got back on camera. "

Ugh i can't with her anymore.

• Love 14

Yeah, Jessa's laughing all the way to the bank. At least Jill tries to sell the performance with her whiny voice, eye dabbing and fake tears.

I wish I could see the full context of Anna's segment. Her choice of wording was very odd, IMO. Especially considering this was a staged interview where she knew the questions in advance.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

Yeah, Jessa's laughing all the way to the bank. At least Jill tries to sell the performance with her whiny voice, eye dabbing and fake tears.

I wish I could see the full context of Anna's segment. Her choice of wording was very odd, IMO. Especially considering this was a staged interview where she knew the questions in advance.

Could imagine anyone of them doing an unstaged interview? I wonder if they would do it if they where offered a large sum of money?

• Love 1

Saw the preview for the new episodes while watching Sister Wives Tell Nothing. I didn't know they dragged Anna out to get more nibbles! She is such a bad actor and shame on them all using her like that. How humiliating.

Jessa rubs me the wrong way always. She sticks that chin out and basically gives that smug smile like "FU all. I got back on camera. "

Ugh i can't with her anymore.

I have never watched the show, but Jessa's pictures make me gag. Those over done expressions, like a cartoon character!

• Love 3

They would, however, somehow manage to spin it to make sure you knew their way of proceeding was GODLY, as opposed to everyone else's.

You nailed it here. .... I guess I have to apologize to Jim Bob and MIchelle, though, realizing this. I always say that as home educators they've taught the kids nothing. But they taught them this.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

I just posted on the Smuggar's thread about this. Anna seemed out of it & the words she used "It was heartbreaking.....to hear what happened" made it sound like she was talking about another couple-not her & Josh.

• Love 7

Has anyone seen this on Pickles and Hairspray. It's a story from a survivor of the Bill Gothard Quiverfull movement. It would be great if any of the Duggar kids could see this. I really hope if there is abuse still going on in the house that anyone that has seen something in the Duggar home will be inspired to speak out. 

• Love 10

I watched the whol thing as well, and, sadly, I can't think that the Duggars - even most of the children, would look at that and have any response other than noting how glad they are/were not to have succumbed to the lure of college education and thus managed to avoid (well, except for Josh) the hooks of Satan. I don't think they would see a single thing wrong with her childhood s she describes it.

• Love 6

Notice that she says her parents were authoritarian crazy control freaks before Gothard/Pearl. They picked that stuff because it gave them extra ammunition and an excuse to behave exactly the way their sick psychologies prompted them to behave toward their children. That's right on the money, for me. The "beliefs" and the "faith" in the case of the households where it all goes bad are merely rationalizations that give sick people cover for their neurotic control needs.

I think this is something that most people fail to understand, since most of us simply aren't drawn to utterly control, shape and viciously manipulate other people in the ways some sick fucks such as Jim Bob and his ilk are. It's not an impulse at all with most people, I expect. I know it's never occurred to me, and I grew up being manipulated and controlled in that way so you'd think I would do it because that's the model I have. I've actually been surprised that I didn't feel the urge to control. And if I'd never seen it done, I expect I wouldn't understand it at all. That's one way I think the Duggars and others pull the wool over people's eyes. They have controlling tendencies of a degree that make them completely foreign to most people's internal experience, so people don't even see what they're doing because they can't even imagine the possibility of it. ... That's something that makes it hard for escapees, too, since people you talk to about your experience generally can't even conceive of it. They hear what you're saying but they mostly don't understand it at all. It's not within their conceptual framework.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

I watched the whole video. The Pearls are ignorant, hateful people. I grew up in a very definite patriarchal home. My dad was like the Pearls and his word was always the law, even for my mom. The Duggar's seem nearly modern and kind compared to the Pearls of the world. I can't see either JimBob or Michelle giving anything other than a light spanking. But we never know what goes on behind closed doors, and when the camera is turned off.

• Love 4

Yes, the video does mention the Duggars, but this does not mean go off topic and discuss the Pearls or Gothard. Discuss the Duggars in relation to being referred to in the video. We have ask more than once to stay on topic. This is the Duggars in the Media and TLC world thread not discuss the evil religious cult movement run by Gothard and the Pearls. Also please do not speculate on whether JB or Michelle did more than spanking when disciplining one or more of the children. The topic as already been discuss more than once.  I am sure there are zillions of forums or webpage to discuss the Pearls and/or Gothard. Posts not staying on topic will be hidden or deleted at the discretion of the mods. Warnings may also be handed out. Thank you.

Jill saying we will come out of this fire....who the hell talks like that? Was that scripted or she actually talks like that?

• Love 5

Jill saying we will come out of this fire....who the hell talks like that? Was that scripted or she actually talks like that?

I kind of expect that they actually talk like that. I mean, in their minds their lives are part of this major apocalyptic drama that's going on with God and the devil. And they, the super-godly Duggars, are walking through the world at the right hand of the Biggest Guy There Is. Everything's a crusade and an Armageddon to them. Or a Season of Life. That's why they actually think it's some big "mission" to hang around on Central American beaches and talk to people about the Bible. Or post Bible verses over and over on instagram like Jessa and Ben. And why every idiot thing they have or do is Precious and Special. God's breathing on them all the time while they do their crap and their stupid piddly actions are part of the great battle for the ultimate fate of the universe.... They really think in those King Jamesy poetry terms when it comes to their own lives, I think. That both feeds their arrogance and results from their arrogance, I expect. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 19

Has anyone seen this on Pickles and Hairspray. It's a story from a survivor of the Bill Gothard Quiverfull movement. It would be great if any of the Duggar kids could see this. I really hope if there is abuse still going on in the house that anyone that has seen something in the Duggar home will be inspired to speak out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQy4LGUQRg

Thank you for sharing. It really helps to understand why this family acts the way they do...a d it leads me to believe that ....barring a miracle, those kids will never get out from under the thumb of that cult. I just hope the cult topples from within. I'm glad the woman in the video was able to escape...but her story leads me to believe that the mental brainwashing makes it very hard.. Edited by Phoenix62.
  • Love 4

Thank you for sharing. It really helps to understand why this family acts the way they do...a d it leads me to believe that ....barring a miracle, those kids will never get out from under the thumb of that cult. I just hope the cult topples from within. I'm glad the woman in the video was able to escape...but her story leads me to believe that the mental brainwashing makes it very hard..

She admitted that the number one reason she was able to escape was her parents DID believe in college. Even though her parents made her college years hell with all of their interference and controls, she did end up with a real degree in music therapy. The Duggar women will never be able to support themselves and live without daddy's Headship umbrella without job skills.

• Love 8

She admitted that the number one reason she was able to escape was her parents DID believe in college. Even though her parents made her college years hell with all of their interference and controls, she did end up with a real degree in music therapy. The Duggar women will never be able to support themselves and live without daddy's Headship umbrella without job skills.

I thought it was remarkable that her younger sibs are being allowed to go to "real" college as well. Her parents might have gone all Duggar and clamped down on the rest, but no - even though Kristiana severed ties.

If the Duggars really are Gothard poster children in this regard, Kristiana's parents must be skirting some smackdown from the cult. OR could it be that JB&M are extra restrictive in regard to education?? I have so many questions.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2

I didn't watch the YouTube video. but I read somewhere that Quiverfulls were encouraging their children, at one point to learn the art of debating, It was thought that they could debate their way into all aspects of the community and bring more people into their belief system. But it actually backfired because it armed the kids with critical thinking skills, with they applied to their own lives as well. 

Thus Cynthia and Lydia Jeub. 

And while it's not education in the same sense, I hypothesize that the no-birth-certificate-for-you! Penningtons may have unleashed something similar with their runner -- Alecia Faith -- when her mother encouraged her to be artistic and creative. The crazy mother is artsy, too, but I doubt that she realized that encouraging a kid's creativity in arts, crafts and fashion might also build her confidence in her own ideas and desires about other things as well, so that she wouldn't just be content to stay home and make jewelry without a birth certificate, a drivers' license, a place of her own and a chance to go to school.

Opening any mental door can show at least some kids that there's something beyond the four walls, it's nice to know.

Jim Bob and Michelle, who themselves seem interested in nothing except money and control, will not be lured into making these mistakes, unfortunately. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

Thus Cynthia and Lydia Jeub. 

And while it's not education in the same sense, I hypothesize that the no-birth-certificate-for-you! Penningtons may have unleashed something similar with their runner -- Alecia Faith -- when her mother encouraged her to be artistic and creative. The crazy mother is artsy, too, but I doubt that she realized that encouraging a kid's creativity in arts, crafts and fashion might also build her confidence in her own ideas and desires about other things as well, so that she wouldn't just be content to stay home and make jewelry without a birth certificate, a drivers' license, a place of her own and a chance to go to school.

Opening any mental door can show at least some kids that there's something beyond the four walls, it's nice to know.

Jim Bob and Michelle, who themselves seem interested in nothing except money and control, will not be lured into making these mistakes, unfortunately. 

And there you've hit upon it - JB and M are not creative.  They have no imagination.  It's easy for them to follow these dullard proscriptions out the gate.  

• Love 7

None of those girls look like they are related - at least to me. Genes are pretty well mixed up

I always had the same thought. To me, Jessa looks like she was adopted.

I know this will not be shared with most on here, but ... Why boycott the network? Just don't watch. Feels a little extreme to me.

None of those girls look like they are related - at least to me. Genes are pretty well mixed up

They really don't look alike. Imagine if they had different haircuts and different styles of clothing. They would look even less alike.

• Love 3

They do share some features, though...Jessa, Jinger and Jill have similar eyes; Jana is the odd one out there. Jessa, Jinger and Jana have similar cheeks/chin/bone structure; Jill is the mismatched one in that case. Jessa and Jana have sort of similar smiles. Jinger's is not altogether different except that the shape of her mouth is rather specific to her. I fact, her face itself is not so much different from the others overall except that she has more dimples and quirks, which, added to the fact that her hair is darker and she wears darker makeup make her stand out. . And Jill's teeth are also different from the others (I've always actually found gummy smiles appealing, so she strikes me as the prettiest a lot of the time. I know many would not agree with that). I love to study faces and find family resemblances fascinating, so I do spend more time than I need to, sometimes, playing "compare and contrast the Duggars".

• Love 7

They do share some features, though...Jessa, Jinger and Jill have similar eyes; Jana is the odd one out there. Jessa, Jinger and Jana have similar cheeks/chin/bone structure; Jill is the mismatched one in that case. Jessa and Jana have sort of similar smiles. Jinger's is not altogether different except that the shape of her mouth is rather specific to her. I fact, her face itself is not so much different from the others overall except that she has more dimples and quirks, which, added to the fact that her hair is darker and she wears darker makeup make her stand out. . And Jill's teeth are also different from the others (I've always actually found gummy smiles appealing, so she strikes me as the prettiest a lot of the time. I know many would not agree with that). I love to study faces and find family resemblances fascinating, so I do spend more time than I need to, sometimes, playing "compare and contrast the Duggars".

I agree with you on that, although I know it isn't a popular opinion here. I prefer the hippy look to the spackled on makeup that Jessa and Jinger sport. My opinion of the best lookers are Jana, Joy and Jill in that order.

There are two little girls though that are absolutely stunning. One of them is Jenny maybe but the other one is older.

• Love 3

I know this will not be shared with most on here, but ... Why boycott the network? Just don't watch. Feels a little extreme to me.

IMO, I don't think it's extreme. Losing a couple shows due to low ratings is no big deal, but having viewers turn away from everything they offer due to their content will send a message. 

• Love 13