Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I find it highly amusing that the Duggars dressed as pirates for free donuts ...do they even know the history or pirates and the horrible things they have done to people? Yet they feel women should wear skirts at all times to please God...what's pleasing to God in dressing like a pirate? The hypocrisy, it's just amazing. 

Yeah, but, the donuts.

• Love 5

Does anyone who watches Pirates of The Caribbean or celebrates "talk like a pirate day" give a flying f*ck about real life pirates past or present? Doubt it and that goes for people of every belief. The dressing up was actually cute for me, other parts of the story, not so much.

• Love 5

I find it highly amusing that the Duggars dressed as pirates for free donuts ...do they even know the history or pirates and the horrible things they have done to people? Yet they feel women should wear skirts at all times to please God...what's pleasing to God in dressing like a pirate? The hypocrisy, it's just amazing. 

OK, if no-one else is going to go there: Thou shalt not.. oooh, donuts.

• Love 12

Of course the Duggars are unaware of what pirates represent historically or that they exist today, killing and looting. That would require intellectual curiosity and that is nonexistent in Duggardum(b).

What really frosts my cookies (or, umm...donuts), it the concept of just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD. They walked out of there with 14 dozen donuts. I realize it follows the letter of the promotion, but it's crass and obnoxious. Those kids don't need to be eating that many donuts and idk how good their dental care is!! Like someone said, take them to a shelter or drop some by a fire station. Give back. Isn't charity a Christian value? But no, be greedy and get the free stuff. Well done instilling THAT in your kids, Boob. Aaaarrrrrggghhh!!!

• Love 19

Of course the Duggars are unaware of what pirates represent historically or that they exist today, killing and looting. That would require intellectual curiosity and that is nonexistent in Duggardum(b).

What really frosts my cookies (or, umm...donuts), it the concept of just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD. They walked out of there with 14 dozen donuts. I realize it follows the letter of the promotion, but it's crass and obnoxious. Those kids don't need to be eating that many donuts and idk how good their dental care is!! Like someone said, take them to a shelter or drop some by a fire station. Give back. Isn't charity a Christian value? But no, be greedy and get the free stuff. Well done instilling THAT in your kids, Boob. Aaaarrrrrggghhh!!!

I agree. If they had taken 14 dozen and taken them to a homeless shelter (without fanfare, announcements or pictures) then it wouldn't bother me so much. But just because they all dressed up doesn't mean they should all get a dozen. Take 3 dozen max, assuming there are people at home who want some too. 

• Love 8

Many of us used to hope that Derick and his secular higher level education would help to bring Jill out of the Duggar ways and into something more mainstream.  Seeing Derick in that pirate costume?  I think that's not going to happen. 

• Love 7

I'm sure the wonderful people at Krispy Kreme didn't think that people would actually take them up on dressing up as actual pirates for some donuts.  Maybe a few families would take a few kids out, and of course many probably did the pirate-speak in order to get a donut, but damn. They are just so damn greedy.  I can't with those people.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 13

I see that Jill posted a picture of her and Derrick sharing their donuts with a hungry family. That's great, and I applaud them for sharing, but really, wouldn't it be better if they spend a few of their own dollars helping this family rather than "donating" something that they themselves got for free?

• Love 9

I see that Jill posted a picture of her and Derrick sharing their donuts with a hungry family. That's great, and I applaud them for sharing, but really, wouldn't it be better if they spend a few of their own dollars helping this family rather than "donating" something that they themselves got for free?

Or even giving them some of their food from that big ol' pantry.

• Love 2

Remember the great big stuffed animal?

Runs in the family.

• Love 8

I'd be embarrassed to take 14 people to Krispy Kreme so we could walk away with 14 dozen free doughnuts.

One thing we have learned here. It's very difficult to embarrass a Duggar. Especially Boob, and especially when freebies of anything are involved.

• Love 17

Remember the great big stuffed animal?

Runs in the family.

Ooooh, good call! Granted, they couldn't take that thing on the plane with them, but still...that was an arranged meeting, and he regifts that gigantic stuffed animal. What's the name of the Seinfeld episode when they all regift? I'd love to post a YT link to that on one of their FB pages. LOL

• Love 4

We did this last year (my dd and I) and there was a line out the door. Everyone wants a free dozen not just the Duggars! We ended up taking them to church for our after school program. I don't like fresh KK's I like the sugar hardened so it was easy to give them away.

• Love 3

Ooooh, good call! Granted, they couldn't take that thing on the plane with them, but still...that was an arranged meeting, and he regifts that gigantic stuffed animal. What's the name of the Seinfeld episode when they all regift? I'd love to post a YT link to that on one of their FB pages. LOL

Have we ever seen the Duggars give anything away that wasn't free, or grifted, or shoddy, or off-price, or paid for by others? They're not givers. They're takers, their famous servants' hearts and hearts for the Lord to the contrary.

• Love 10

Krispy Kreme can handle the Duggars--they make tons of donuts for Pirate Day, and lots of people bring their entire families.  I do get that the never-pass-up-any-freebie Duggars are taking advantage, but when you see a parent with a minivan full of kids toting 8 dozen away, it puts it a bit more in perspective.

And seriously? Krispy Kreme glazed donuts hot and fresh? Heaven in your mouth.

(Did I just sort of defend the Duggars?  Ouch!)

• Love 5

And seriously? Krispy Kreme glazed donuts hot and fresh? Heaven in your mouth.

For true. But are the ones they give out on Pirate day hot and fresh? I can't imagine the logistics of that. I assumed they were making donuts a week ahead of time.

For true. But are the ones they give out on Pirate day hot and fresh? I can't imagine the logistics of that. I assumed they were making donuts a week ahead of time.

I can't say for sure, but we used to do Krispy Kreme donut fundraisers when I lived in Georgia, and the donuts were always very fresh.

• Love 1

What the hell?  Jill and Derrick are home AGAIN?  The donut article says they're "on a break" from their mission trip. How many fucking breaks do they need? First, they came home for the Bates wedding, then again for Amy's wedding, and now for free donuts? No wonder people who donated money for their so-called mission trip are beginning to ask questions. I swear, that family has no shame.

• Love 4

Krispy Kreme can handle the Duggars--they make tons of donuts for Pirate Day, and lots of people bring their entire families.

Krispy Kreme can definitely handle the Duggars. But I'm always amazed at how little the Duggs seem to understand the "optics" of any situation. At all. And despite their pretty long experience in politics and as media "stars." They're like a "how not to do it" book.

• Love 5

First, they came home for the Bates wedding, then again for Amy's wedding, and now for free donuts?

They never went anywhere after Famy's wedding. They've said they're staying in the U.S. for a while, one reason is so Jill could finish her CNM certification.

Edited by Liz Tudor
Krispy Kreme can definitely handle the Duggars. But I'm always amazed at how little the Duggs seem to understand the "optics" of any situation. At all. And despite their pretty long experience in politics and as media "stars." They're like a "how not to do it" book.

You are so right!  This is the perfect example of what we've said about the Duggars being tone deaf in social situations.  

• Love 7

They never went anywhere after Famy's wedding. They've said they're staying in the U.S. for a while, one reason is so Jill could finish her CNM certification.

I'm sure the long-suffering people of El Salvador are anxiously awaiting Derick and Jill's return. Jill and Derick have done so much for the locals: building housing, handing out food and water, providing much needed medical supplies etc.

Lol... Just kidding.

• Love 21

I'm sure the long-suffering people of El Salvador are anxiously awaiting Derick and Jill's return. Jill and Derick have done so much for the locals: building housing, handing out food and water, providing much needed medical supplies etc.

Lol... Just kidding.

Maybe they'll bring them back some donuts.

• Love 22

What the hell?  Jill and Derrick are home AGAIN?  The donut article says they're "on a break" from their mission trip. How many fucking breaks do they need? First, they came home for the Bates wedding, then again for Amy's wedding, and now for free donuts? No wonder people who donated money for their so-called mission trip are beginning to ask questions. I swear, that family has no shame.

IMO, they need a lot of breaks. This is not a family accustomed to doing things it doesn't like to do - in a general way. In other words, the normal drudge of daily living that the rest of us cope with. Outside-the-home job, maintaining a home and all that THAT entails. domestic work, children, volunteer and community activities, social activities/keeping up with friends etc. If they want to do X and the laundry isn't done, either Grandma stays home to do it - or it just gets put off until the next day. They don't have to manage a lot of "Have Tos" - and the ones they DO have to contend with are evidently quite taxing for them, requiring many breaks, respites and vacations. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 6

CPM, lay midwife, not CNM. The latter requires years of education that Jill will never attain. 

• Love 12

Krispy Kreme can handle the Duggars--they make tons of donuts for Pirate Day, and lots of people bring their entire families.

I remember from my days working in marketing that whenever you did a promotion involving free food, you knew that there would always be some cheapskates who would try to take advantage. You just gritted your teeth, smiled and focused on the nice ones. Oh, well, at least the kids got to taste a Krispy Kreme. I'm sure that Jim Bob has never once stuck a crowbar in his wallet and actually bought a dozen.

I strongly suspect that now that she's back in the bosom of her family, Jill is flatly refusing to return to El Salvador, encouraged by Jim Bob and Michelle who probably feel that the poor darling has done enough for the dirty heathens down there (especially since there's no camera crew filming her in action). We may see Derick return on his own, with a lot of spin about how Jill and the baby will be joining him "soon". She may use the midwife certification as her excuse, or she just might announce another pregnancy.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 8

What won't these people do for free food?  In their oh so wonderful has been show they had a huge pantry filled will food to last 100 people for  months.   They have an industrial kitchen with every upscale appliance, a separate kitchen they eat in, an abundance of paper plates - they are anything but starving yet they dress up as pirates for free donuts.  Dozens of them.  Over 150 free donuts. Why?  Because somehow the world owes them free food and every luxury just for being them.  For creating God's army in their delusional heads.  They have no class and are incapable of the least bit of introspection to realize what hypocrites and shallow fame whores they are.  We deserve the free donuts if we dress up as pirates and film it for our fans to see - what a blessing it is to them to have us entertain them like this so therefore we actually earned all of these free donuts!  Better yet if someone who is not following Gothard is making them for us - we are better than them!

Don't even get me started on Jerick participating is this disgusting travesty. See we're not misusing the donors money we are not accounting for - we eat free right here at home every chance we get!

• Love 13

Free is free. This isn't outrageous behavior. This wasn't a soup kitchen it was a publicity event for Krispy Kreme, and I don't think the Duggars broke any rules or even bent them. Donuts were exchanged for publicity and hashtags, Krispy Kreme probably did really well in this transaction with the Duggars. A box of donuts would have like a dollar's worth of ingredients at most. 20 dollars of ingredients total got them 40,000 likes on Jill's Instagram. These donuts weren't ever going to anyone needy.

• Love 11

Free is free. This isn't outrageous behavior. This wasn't a soup kitchen it was a publicity event for Krispy Kreme, and I don't think the Duggars broke any rules or even bent them. Donuts were exchanged for publicity and hashtags, Krispy Kreme probably did really well in this transaction with the Duggars. A box of donuts would have like a dollar's worth of ingredients at most. 20 dollars of ingredients total got them 40,000 likes on Jill's Instagram. These donuts weren't ever going to anyone needy.

Yeah, it isn't like Boob went in there and asked for free or for preferential treatment.

• Love 1

Why are they so stupid?  Who the Fck is their PR person?  Listen JB dressing your family up as Pirates for free donuts just makes you look bad.  I know you don't believe me but it does.  Look if you want good press do it with some intelligence.  Keep your freaking mouth shut,  stop pimping out your kids in costumes and just do something charitable - on your own.  Then, if you trust God, your good works will be known without you having to film them. You might actually look good then.   Right now you look like a cheap fame whore, shallow and desperate, pimping out your kids in costumes because you have no trust in your God to reward a person who gives in silence.  Go away!  You are making a fool of yourself.

• Love 8

Does anyone know if baby Izzy also got a dozen free doughnuts?  They did paint a moustache and beard on him, after all...

I think so but I'm not sure.  The total was something like 168 doughnuts and he probably received his share although I suppose they will have to freeze them until he's old enough to eat them.

• Love 1

but the article ends with a recap of the Joshmess. So it's not all kid-gloved treatment.

They are sort of portraying them as a nice normal Christian family this terrible thing happened to out of the blue, which is kind of not how I understand the story. People has a lot invested in the Duggars. 

• Love 2

There are rumours that Disney are interested in something with them.It would explain the trip there the other day,obviously Michelle would not be allowed to negotiate in any "talks".

Wow, hard for me to see a Duggar-Disney dating matchup. What with the long-running protests against Disney parks' openness to LGBT visitors.

• Love 8

There are rumours that Disney are interested in something with them.It would explain the trip there the other day,obviously Michelle would not be allowed to negotiate in any "talks".

Disney won't touch child molestation with a 10 foot pole. Shitty rumor.

• Love 15

Wow, hard for me to see a Duggar-Disney dating matchup. What with the long-running protests against Disney parks' openness to LGBT visitors.

Yes but Jim Bob would allow the family on Rupauls drag race if it paid well...

I was gonna say. My SIL married into an evangelical family significantly less strict doctrinally than the Duggars, and she had a dry reception because they wouldn't attend otherwise. Didn't stop the Duggars from attending a boozy wedding People was gonna be at. Hell, the TLC public event they cancelled when Joshgate 1 came out was a joint appearance with single mother and seriously unsubmissive wife Kate "in vitro" Gosselin and Randy "Miss Gay America 1990" Fenoli. I'm sure if Randy was a cameraman they would have had him fired, but he's more popular than they are, so there they were on his show.

I'm not sure what principles Jim Bob actually has, but I'm pretty sure they all allow him to do what he needs to if it means he gets paid.

• Love 2

I was gonna say. My SIL married into an evangelical family significantly less strict doctrinally than the Duggars, and she had a dry reception because they wouldn't attend otherwise. Didn't stop the Duggars from attending a boozy wedding People was gonna be at. Hell, the TLC public event they cancelled when Joshgate 1 came out was a joint appearance with single mother and seriously unsubmissive wife Kate "in vitro" Gosselin and Randy "Miss Gay America 1990" Fenoli. I'm sure if Randy was a cameraman they would have had him fired, but he's more popular than they are, so there they were on his show.

I'm not sure what principles Jim Bob actually has, but I'm pretty sure they all allow him to do what he needs to if it means he gets paid.

True. .... I was thinking more like, Would Disney really want these people -- because their followers maybe would hate Disney? (not to mention  child molestation).... But I suppose that's silly, too!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

They've been on Disney's radar since On the Road with 16 Children, where they got free Disney Hotel rooms, admission to Disneyland and permission to bring a camera crew. Jackson kissed Minnie Mouse, and I think all of his problems stem to that moment he gave away a piece of his heart. Why would Disney honestly think now is the time to partner with the Duggars? The rumor makes no sense.

• Love 7

Disney won't touch child molestation with a 10 foot pole. Shitty rumor.

Word. They went as civilians, like the rest of us. In the spectators' photos that made it onto the internets, they do not have a Disney VIP Ambassador with them (easy to spot by their plaid vests). Disney takes hosting celebrities seriously.

Disney wants nothing to do with the Duggars. JB probably had the boys sit through a timeshare seminar for 6 hours in order to even get the tickets.

• Love 11

Disney wants nothing to do with the Duggars. JB probably had the boys sit through a timeshare seminar for 6 hours in order to even get the tickets.

They don't exactly have the Disney look, either. Michelle's voice might work for animation, though.

The boys were in Florida 'picking up some vans' and they wanted to go to EPCOT? Whatever. I'm sure Anna's family got a visit, maybe even Anna got dropped off?