Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Article about Jill and Derick's date night.    http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jill-duggar-derick-dillard-go-on-date-night-ahead-of-arrival-of-son-2015211

It is so cute, and it is so sweet!!!

I enjoyed looking at Prince William & Kate's pictures more. Now that is a classy couple & they are parents too! (There was a link to their pictures at bottom of Jericks article).

Does Jerick get paid when an a blurb like this appears in a magazine? They seem to just rehash old news.

On Yahoo's home page, there's a link to a story about a Duggar scandal. A scandal I tell you!! Was Amy born out wedlock? Oh brother! Any way, I clicked on it and got a virus notification so, no link!! LOL This is what is trending? Please!

On Yahoo's home page, there's a link to a story about a Duggar scandal. A scandal I tell you!! Was Amy born out wedlock? Oh brother! Any way, I clicked on it and got a virus notification so, no link!! LOL This is what is trending? Please!

I'm so sorry. Way, way back when posters were calling Gill Bates "hot daddy" (yeah, I know hard to believe) I hadn't seen him so I searched a pix and got a virus. With those fundies you have to be careful...

As I've noted, the biggest thing Gothard promises are teenagers who will obey their parents. Both Jim Bob and Michelle come from families they believe failed to accomplish that - Jim Bob has a sister who had a baby before marriage and Michelle has a gay sister. Those children "disobeyed" and at some level that is the parents' fault.

By following Gothard, they wouldn't have that happen to them.

Why did Deanna "get a pass" on the baby out of wedlock, but Anna's sister is persona non grata? If this is true, JB is deeming a Duggar is above the average folk. I would love, as usual, to hear from him directly in response to this and many other "accusations" that are being made about them. They choose to ignore any criticism of themselves and pretend it doesn't exist. A short time later, a silent "move" is made in response to that criticism, ie, Joseph attending "college" when they are called out for holding all of their children behind in seeking any real education or training for anything.

• Love 3

"Just because we are Christians doesn't make us perfect, it just makes us forgiven."

This shit kills me. I suppose if someone else made some kind of social faux pas and wasn't a Christian, they aren't worthy. Haha.

I take no issue with anyone being conceived out of wedlock, I was, and my son was as well, and we lived to tell the tale. However, I suppose we aren't forgiven because we are heathens

Story time....

Thank goodness today we are a much more tolerant and enlightened society...but if these intolerant asshats have thier way, we will go right on back to the 50's, where unmarried pregnant women were hidden away in unwed mother homes and talked into giving thier children up for adoption....or chance raising the child on thier own, and deal with society shunning and mocking them, like my mother did.

I was born in a unwed mother's home...and my mother went against the grain...She had the audicity to keep me and not cave in to the pressure. However, it took a very heavy toll on her, it pushed her over the edge into mental illness. Had abortion been legal in 1961, my mother may well have had a fighting chance at some semblance of a normal life...at least for a while longer. (She considered abortion, but it was illegal, and a back alley abortion was akin to putting your life in jeopardy).

So, when I see people like this pontificate on how wonderful it is to have eleventy billion children, and God will provide, it annoys the ever loving shit out of me. It's dangerous. Very, VERY few people can afford to take care of more than 2 or 3 children in today's society, and people who try this who do not have the means suffer greatly.

I watch these people, and thier politics, and thier desire to push us back into the fucking dark ages that women and minorities fought tooth and nail to get out of...and weep for humanity. I weep for us. How can these poor kids think this life is ok? (Of course, they may be so brainwashed, they do not know anything else). My heart hurts for these poor kids. The parents....I don't know if I should feel sorry for them or hate them for what they've done to the kids. They might well be victims as well.

• Love 16

Phoenix - my MIL had a child and fought to keep him in the 1940's and the repercussions of that decisions reverberate in our extended family today.

My great aunt was whisked away and gave a baby up for adoption in the 1920's and we are still feeling that decision too.

There are no easy answers. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 3

There was a poster on FJ who claimed that he and his family rented Chez Smug after they moved to DC. He also claimed there were severe mold problems, and had to move his family out of the place when Boob refused to address it. I guess those claims have now been proven to be true (and I thought the guy was a troll)! 

I also forgot that TLC filmed in Paris. Someone posted their pictures of Benessa online, blowing their secret honeymoon cover. The film crew was seen in those pics. 

• Love 3

There was a poster on FJ who claimed that he and his family rented Chez Smug after they moved to DC. He also claimed there were severe mold problems, and had to move his family out of the place when Boob refused to address it. I guess those claims have now been proven to be true (and I thought the guy was a troll)! 

No kidding... So Boob really IS a slumlord. I wonder how he was able to get away with not addressing the mold issue. Seems that would definitely be a code violation of some kind. And the longer you ignore those kind of problems, the more expensive the fix ends up being. Good old Boob - at least he's consistent. Penny-wise and pound-foolish no matter what the situation...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

Woohooo! So she's the "newest MARRIED Duggar", is she? I guess that get you a "real person status" in her group when some guy buys you from your father. Any how, I agree that she doesn't have anything to speak about...she should be in the audience, perhaps,, and learn what it is to be an adult woman? She never worked, hasn't continued her "education" after homeschooling, no real interests except for her own reflection. BTW, in that video clip she looks terribly thin and accentuates her sharp jawline and chin. Not good IMO.

Re: the mold problem at Grandma's house...I am not surprised AT ALL in Landlord Jim Bob's refusal to clean up that house for his tenants..I have asked the question long ago about what kind of landlord Mr. Duggar really is, whether they be business tenants or residential ones. I got my answer right there. and SHAME ON HIM. These religious types are always the worst ones when it comes to being fair and compassionate in business. A mold problem is a real one and is a health hazard...it transcends being compassionate. It's simply something that NEEDS to be corrected. I'm disgusted with all of them.

• Love 4

I'm so sorry. Way, way back when posters were calling Gill Bates "hot daddy" (yeah, I know hard to believe) I hadn't seen him so I searched a pix and got a virus. With those fundies you have to be careful...

Its probably a family spread yeast infection. I think they sell their own tater tot based treatment called Fundi-stat.

I just read an article that said Joseph is courting one of the Bates girls. Is this true? Does anyone know?

It also says he's going to college and out of the house. 

Is college code for that detention camp they get sent to?

• Love 2

Woohooo! So she's the "newest MARRIED Duggar", is she? I guess that get you a "real person status" in her group when some guy buys you from your father. Any how, I agree that she doesn't have anything to speak about...she should be in the audience, perhaps,, and learn what it is to be an adult woman? She never worked, hasn't continued her "education" after homeschooling, no real interests except for her own reflection. BTW, in that video clip she looks terribly thin and accentuates her sharp jawline and chin. Not good IMO.

Re: the mold problem at Grandma's house...I am not surprised AT ALL in Landlord Jim Bob's refusal to clean up that house for his tenants..I have asked the question long ago about what kind of landlord Mr. Duggar really is, whether they be business tenants or residential ones. I got my answer right there. and SHAME ON HIM. These religious types are always the worst ones when it comes to being fair and compassionate in business. A mold problem is a real one and is a health hazard...it transcends being compassionate. It's simply something that NEEDS to be corrected. I'm disgusted with all of them.

The tenants that moved out - before Ben and Jessa moved in - should report this utter irresponsibility to whatever local authority has jurisdiction in this area. Housing, health - whatever. This does not sound like something that can be ignored by an owner, just because his wide lazy ass wants to...

• Love 1

Yep, you can't just wipe down a persistent mold problem with a spray of bleach water, you have to get to the whats causing the dampness and fix it, otherwise you get a bigger problem on your hands and the mold starts to spread throughout the house like crazy. It's a real health hazard and people develop serious lifelong sx's similar to fibromyalgia when exposed to black mold.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 2

I'm going to take a guess and say the gutters haven't been cleaned, or they don't exist. And the down spouts are crap or non-existent as well. Perhaps this will be a new learning experience for the kids, free, of course. 

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1

I hope we won't be treated to footage of the younger Duggar kids wearing .10 cents masks from WalMart and flip flops tearing down  black mold-filled walls, and doing all the sweat work for Jim Bob as another one of his " learning to do it yourself" projects...Michelle would be no where in sight, of course. I hope someone would report him if this is consistent with him in his other rental properties, etc..  I agree with you, msblossom...quite a serious situation and Josh and Anna lived there with their 2 kids?

• Love 1

Eh, what's a little mold FloridaMom? Ever live in Seattle? Totally kidding.

Jim Boob should get on his knees and thank the good Lord he does NOT live in Washington State, which has some of the most stringent consumer/tenant protection laws in the United States. If the former tenant and mold story is true (and it happened here) he'd find his cheap ass in court and most likely be paying out some pretty hefty fines as well...

• Love 3

Some posters on another thread here brought up their "ministry" vs TV show... You know what? Great point here..if the Duggars are calling their TV show a "ministry", that WOULD mean that they are preaching and flaunting their religious beliefs and resulting lifestyle for us to join; otherwise they would not be doing just that. If it were a TV show, plain and simple,, about an unusually large family they would stick to their daily lifestyle and the workings of it. I never thought about those two things like that before,, but it is true...they are trying to get others to "convert" their belief system, wear skirts, court, and hold back women from their own lives, etc...all of it. This family really has some explaining to do, as does TLC...what is the point of airing this "show or ministry"?

• Love 4

New pics of the entire family, sans Smuganna, are up. Muffy and Jessa are front and center (same outfits as the couple pic) with their men holding two chalkboards. Jessa's says "I DO," while Muffy's says "I'M DUE." 

I'm sure someone who knows how can post a pic. I don't have a direct link, but Pickles (and others) have found it. Not sure of the link source; it's not up on Duggar Official or the TLC site. 

I wonder why TLC kept the Smuganna clan out of this? The photoshopping is otherwise so bad (heights are all willy-nilly - Mechelle is about 6" taller than she is IRL - that they could have made room for them in the shot, especially given that they were in AR last week and could have been photographed then. It's not like the rest of that pic is much older. It's known that  Smuggar spent one day last week schmoozing in South Dakota while Anna apparently remained at the AR guest house, attending Derick's office shower. But he would have still had to go back to AR so Anna wouldn't travel alone (is she allowed to?) with the kiddos.

New pics of the entire family, sans Smuganna, are up. Muffy and Jessa are front and center (same outfits as the couple pic) with their men holding two chalkboards. Jessa's says "I DO," while Muffy's says "I'M DUE."

I'm sure someone who knows how can post a pic. I don't have a direct link, but Pickles (and others) have found it. Not sure of the link source; it's not up on Duggar Official or the TLC site.

https://m.facebook.com/269181913180625/photos/a.269728809792602.55371.269181913180625/701468933285252/?type=1&source=48