Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

(edited)

This only pleases me because there is no way in hell that TLC can think about filming and prepping for another season with this going on.  I am much calmed down from my previous triggered state but I will continue to endeavor to make sure that this family never has a platform for their hate on national television again.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 15

I would think it would have to include the show GIRLS (which this liberal has never watched) because of all of the fawning that goes around Lena Dunham and stories set about young people in the NYC area.

• Love 1

Gosh are there any Irrational Tribalism of Liberals websites we can be treated to as well?  

Google it. You will find several conservative sites that use the language liberal tribalism. I guess it is a name to fling back and forth rather than to actually try to sort things out cooperatively. Call the others a tribe, then your own people comprise the true civilization. 

• Love 12

Your link doesn't work, I went to tmz to find the video. Looks like they got off the plane and those were the Alive people picking them up. No big conspiracy.

Jill can't walk anywhere without holding Derick's hand. How cute, and totally non codependent!

• Love 1

Your link doesn't work, I went to tmz to find the video. Looks like they got off the plane and those were the Alive people picking them up. No big conspiracy.

Jill can't walk anywhere without holding Derick's hand. How cute, and totally non codependent!

Or perhaps she needs some moral support? Given the dreck the paps love to yell at people for a reaction, I'd want to hold my partner's hand, too.

• Love 6

Or perhaps she needs some moral support? Given the dreck the paps love to yell at people for a reaction, I'd want to hold my partner's hand, too.

Jilly Muffin would have no problem with anyone yelling anything at her and her family if she "retired" from social media, public appearances and a TV show. It's not right to harass anyone in public, but the paps and public attention pays their bills.

IMHO, and YMMV.

• Love 6

Jilly Muffin would have no problem with anyone yelling anything at her and her family if she "retired" from social media, public appearances and a TV show. It's not right to harass anyone in public, but the paps and public attention pays their bills.

IMHO, and YMMV.

I dunno, still kinda unnerving to get yelled at by paps about your childhood abuse. I personally wouldn't show my face if a secret like that got out... but you gotta support your horde of kids somehow.

• Love 2

I dunno, still kinda unnerving to get yelled at by paps about your childhood abuse. I personally wouldn't show my face if a secret like that got out... but you gotta support your horde of kids somehow.

Throwing this one out here: How many "paps" truly follow this family around? What's the going rate for a photo of Jilly Muffin or Benessa these days? I'm guessing it's pretty low. They put photos and video up on their Instagram accounts daily; it's not a novelty to get a picture of the Duggars.

At the risk of being called heartless and cynical, the Duggars brought this on themselves. They love the upside of fame -- the "fans", the financial advantages, their "platform". Whining about their "victimization" by the media is ridiculous. If they were truly concerned with protecting themselves from "the media", they would pull the plug with TLC and find something else to do with their lives. Instead, they're hiding behind the little kids and continuing to make public appearances for financial gain.

• Love 20
(edited)

Throwing this one out here: How many "paps" truly follow this family around? What's the going rate for a photo of Jilly Muffin or Benessa these days? I'm guessing it's pretty low. They put photos and video up on their Instagram accounts daily; it's not a novelty to get a picture of the Duggars.

At the risk of being called heartless and cynical, the Duggars brought this on themselves. They love the upside of fame -- the "fans", the financial advantages, their "platform". Whining about their "victimization" by the media is ridiculous. If they were truly concerned with protecting themselves from "the media", they would pull the plug with TLC and find something else to do with their lives. Instead, they're hiding behind the little kids and continuing to make public appearances for financial gain.

Apparently at least two went to Ohio to record them walking out of the airport to their car.

To be fair, Jill is just holding her husbands hand, and neither of them appeared to say anything.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

My husband is a hand holder. I can take it or leave it. He's about the least co-dependent person I can think of though. He simply thinks it's romantic to hold hands.

• Love 3

To be fair, all they asked was how the group was doing and if they were getting their won show. Asking about abuse is hitting below the belt. Though I'd ask them what kind of role models they are for minimizing abuse, if I had the chance.

• Love 4

I think it's also clear that the Dillard/Seewalds wanted some sort of publicity going into this event, or else they wouldn't have posted a photo of themselves at their local airport saying where they were going.  

• Love 17

To be fair, all they asked was how the group was doing and if they were getting their won show. Asking about abuse is hitting below the belt. Though I'd ask them what kind of role models they are for minimizing abuse, if I had the chance.

Well, that's all we see them asking on the video. We don't know what else was said before/after. That said, even if they didn't cross the line, I can see the girls being nervous wondering if they would. It's not like TMZ is known to be a bastion of ethics.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's possible the footage was sold to TMZ by a freelancer/stringer. I bet TMZ buys a lot of its video that way.

I'm sure it was a freelancer. TMZ can't be everywhere and the questioner didn't seem to have the typical TMZ confidence, pushiness and jokiness. Plus, the full-time paparazzi need to hang out in places where they have the possibility of lots of pictures. They can't be flying off to Akron or what have you to chase people or they'd never make a living. I'm sure TMZ has local stringers all over who'll run out to grab footage of the occasional famous visitors, and while the stringers might sometimes be more hamfisted than the full-time tabloid people, I expect that most of the time they're a lot more low key because they aren't nearly as accustomed to doing it. And I can see Jill and Jessa being nervous. But if you don't want to be treated like a public figure, don't try to make a living as a public figure. It wasn't their doing when they were kids, but it's clearly their doing now.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

I think it's also clear that the Dillard/Seewalds wanted some sort of publicity going into this event, or else they wouldn't have posted a photo of themselves at their local airport saying where they were going.

The Dillard's don't appear to have instagramed anything about going to Alive. Jessa Seewald did, so bothering her at the airport might have been more acceptable, but it's the frazzled new mother that's most likely to go Bjork at the airport, so I can see why they ignored Jessa.
  • Love 1

Well, that's all we see them asking on the video. We don't know what else was said before/after. That said, even if they didn't cross the line, I can see the girls being nervous wondering if they would. It's not like TMZ is known to be a bastion of ethics.

That's true, but doing a national interview about your abuse puts it out there. I doubt Jill and Jessa thought about the long-term ramifications of coming forward, if they even had much say in it. They made money off being victims. Sorry if that means they also get asked by random strangers about it.

• Love 8

The Dillard's don't appear to have instagramed anything about going to Alive. Jessa Seewald did, so bothering her at the airport might have been more acceptable, but it's the frazzled new mother that's most likely to go Bjork at the airport, so I can see why they ignored Jessa.

There might be a slight possibility that Jill and Derick had no idea their whereabouts would be instagrammed, though that seems so unlikely.  They are public figures and should be very aware that anything they instagram is shared hundreds of thousands of times and then circulated in tabloids and other news sources.  I just can't imagine a scenario where the Dillards aren't even aware that they've been tagged in multiple posts detailing their movements.  

• Love 2

That's true, but doing a national interview about your abuse puts it out there. I doubt Jill and Jessa thought about the long-term ramifications of coming forward, if they even had much say in it. They made money off being victims. Sorry if that means they also get asked by random strangers about it.

I don't think they were paid for their interview with Fox News, and their abuse was out there courtesy of InTouch. The Duggar daughters didn't ask for their sexual abuse to be exploited by the media, they merely responded with a single interview, after their words were exploited by InTouch. They aren't drip feeding the public information about it weekly, so as to exploit the situation for maximum profit.
  • Love 5
(edited)

I don't think even the most ignorant pap is going to cross that line with a victim of sexual molestation.  TMZ wants footage they can use, preferably footage with the subjects stopping and answering a question or two.  They're not going to pay for footage of the Duggan girls being asked specific questions about their molestation because a) they aren't stupid enough to think there wouldn't be public backlash and b) they're also not stupid enough to think asking those sorts of questions is going to get them usable footage.  Even free lancers know that.  I also suspect that the paparazzi who were there at the airport were tipped off, either by the conference' PR staff or the Duggar PR machine to publicize their appearance.  They're not going to give the scoop to paps who aren't going to play the game nicely.  I've been to the Akron-Canton Airport, it's not a hotbed of celeb sightings and any free lancer hanging out there on a whim without specific info is probably going to starve before they see an actual celeb.  LeBron flies via private jet, after all.  Presumably, the PR people for the fest need press coverage for other clients, too, no free lancer is going to jeopardize a potential source of income by asking inappropriate questions.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7
(edited)

I don't think they were paid for their interview with Fox News,

Well, not for the interview, but damn sure for their 'image license'.

They aren't drip feeding the public information about it weekly, so as to exploit the situation for maximum profit.

Of course not. That's for pregnancies and dating.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 12
(edited)

Absolutely, you can be sure that Fox News paid a very hefty fee for 'exclusive rights' to the photos and videos used in the interviews and that the Duggars, greedy famewhores that they are, would've never consented to an interview without a big payday being guaranteed.  They know the empire is tottering, they're going to cash in every single time they can until the well is dry.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13

It's their own sexual abuse, pregnancies and dating they would choose to exploit or not exploit.
  • Love 1

Yes, but they were all going to a very big public event. The Alive festival publicizes itself and includes some big names, so of course people interested in interviewing/photographing celebs look at that publicity. It's not as if they went to some private event that doesn't take out advertising or plaster the names of the celebs in attendance all over its website, or that they were being snuck in on the qt by the festival. When your name is part of the publicity for a big public event, then you have to expect that the media may want to talk to you and photograph you. Especially if you've been on a significant number of People covers.

• Love 4

It's their own sexual abuse, pregnancies and dating they would choose to exploit or not exploit.

I know. There's really no difference in MO between the Duggars and their exploiters.

• Love 1

Exploiting your own lives is different from exploiting a third parties life.

And I just want to state that neither Jill, Derick or Jessa complained or even scowled about the media being at the airport.

That sounds reasonable in theory. But once you've exploited your own pregnancy and courting and marrying and virginity-losing numerous times to numerous tabloids -- and done an hour-long interview on some other, perhaps more sensitive, aspect of your life on national tv -- in the real world it is unreasonable to expect people to consider the interview topic or much of the rest of your life completely off limits.

They are also the ones who said on national tv that they didn't consider their molestation a big deal at all and that they are totally okay with big brother Josh. That's a fairly remarkable set of statements, and they chose to make them in a very public forum. So if you, as a public figure, do that, and then expect noone to ask you about those things, then you really should start paying more attention to the way the world works, I think.

• Love 24
(edited)

Awkward.

Jill and Derick trying to look unbothered was rather interesting. Maybe Jill & Jessa feel like it's the price they're willing to pay if it means they get to stay on tv.

My husband would not be calm. He has a hot temper when it comes to assholes being invasive, especially around his family. Thank God we're not on reality tv. LOL.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 1

My husband is a hand holder. I can take it or leave it. He's about the least co-dependent person I can think of though. He simply thinks it's romantic to hold hands.

My husband and I are hand holders too and we're both independent. Sometimes he'll take my hand in a crowd so we can make tracks and weave our way out to freedom. LOL.

• Love 3
(edited)

That sounds reasonable in theory. But once you've exploited your own pregnancy and courting and marrying and virginity-losing numerous times to numerous tabloids -- and done an hour-long interview on some other, perhaps more sensitive, aspect of your life on national tv -- in the real world it is unreasonable to expect people to consider the interview topic or much of the rest of your life completely off limits.

They are also the ones who said on national tv that they didn't consider their molestation a big deal at all and that they are totally okay with big brother Josh. That's a fairly remarkable set of statements, and they chose to make them in a very public forum. So if you, as a public figure, do that, and then expect noone to ask you about those things, then you really should start paying more attention to the way the world works, I think.

. They complained about the dissemination of their police statements about their sexual abuse, by InTouch, and that's about it. I thought InTouch was unethical in it's behavior, and I have stated that more than once, but the sisters raised this in just one interview, and have since shut up about the scandal.

They did not complain about the airport photographers. They may not feel it's fair for the media to subject them to this sort of treatment, but they've actually said nothing about this, and I think people criticizing their airport behavior have jumped the gun.

Edited by Kokapetl

. They complained about the dissemination of their police statements about their sexual abuse, by InTouch, and that's about it. I thought InTouch was unethical in it's behavior, and I have stated that more than once, but the sisters raised this in just one interview, and have since shut up about the scandal.

They did not complain about the airport photographers. They may not feel it's fair for the media to subject them to this sort of treatment, but they've actually said nothing about this, and I think people criticizing their airport behavior have jumped the gun.

Did anyone criticize their airport behavior here? I haven't seen it.

• Love 5
(edited)

I agree with this.

I wasn't criticizing their behavior since I didn't see them exhibit any behavior. Just making the general point that once you've made yourself a public figure -- particularly a public figure who is famous for intimate parts of your private life such as your pregnant belly and when you plan to kiss or lose or not lose your virginity -- then in the real world you don't have any choice about being questioned about pretty much every aspect of your life. These aren't people who are famous because of their acting or their free throw shooting. These are people who have fame and who have courted fame by living in front of cameras and microphones, giving the world at large a quite intimate look at their personal behaviors, activities, beliefs and feelings. I don't think there's any universe where you could do that and expect that people would then refrain from asking you questions about these things, including ones that you might prefer not to talk about.

When it comes to how Jill and Jessa actually feel about the cameras and the questions, I have no idea. In the TMZ clip, I didn't see any indication of what they thought. Nobody looks particularly relaxed when it's late in the evening (or early in the morning -- I can't tell, but the concession gates are clearly down there so it's not midday) and they're shuffling through an unfamiliar airport. Maybe they were uncomfortable with the cameras, maybe they weren't.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

I was just surprised to see the conversation about Jill's behavior at the airport turn to a conversation about how Jill was a public figure and had no grounds to complain about her treatment by the paparazzi or complain about victimization in the media, when she said nothing and was perfectly pleasant at the airport.

I understand this is an emotive issue. I was getting a bit manic myself.

• Love 4

Someone shouted "have you talked to Josh?" And (of course got no response). I thought they handled it fine. Great awkward silence when they were asked if they were getting a spinoff. I only watched it once, but it seemed like both Jill and Jessa registered "something" instead of blank face. Not like yes or no, but almost like they WANTED to say something. Seemed to me like that's why the questions stopped. But I love body language, so I likely read more into it. I thought it was sweet D&J were holding hands. She needed support, and he offered it. My spouse and I are both STRONGLY independent (he is NOT a hand holder) but sometimes I sure wish he'd offer his hand for support. This never happens, so I just grab the hand of the nearest person, whether I know them or not. (Heeee!!!)

• Love 4
(edited)

And I just want to state that neither Jill, Derick or Jessa complained or even scowled about the media being at the airport.

Is it possible that they are happy that they have some media following them still?  I have to remind myself that they are used to being followed in airports by film and camera crews.  Maybe it was a happy moment in their day.  :)  Probably not for Ben or Derrick.  They were probably both pissed beyond words.

My husband would not be calm. He has a hot temper when it comes to assholes being invasive, especially around his family. Thank God we're not on reality tv. LOL.

Same here!  It would be a wonderful moment for the media though.  (Crashing cameras, ##&*(#& words and who knows what else.)

Edited by truthtalk2014
(edited)

One of them clearly says "Have you heard from Josh?" Or, "Have you talked to Josh?".  That's horrible.

Edited by Honey

Yeah, considering the girls went on tv and told us all that they forgave josh years ago and that what he did wasn't a big deal (to them), that there really isn't any ethical violation by the photographer asking about Josh.  Josh updates and sightings have been non existent and even a quote about him from one of his sisters might be worth somewhat decent money.  

• Love 10

Yeah, considering the girls went on tv and told us all that they forgave josh years ago and that what he did wasn't a big deal (to them), that there really isn't any ethical violation by the photographer asking about Josh.  Josh updates and sightings have been non existent and even a quote about him from one of his sisters might be worth somewhat decent money.  

Absolutely.  Once Jill and Jessa identified themselves as two of their brother's targets, they opened themselves up to media questioning about him.  This is especially true since their POS brother has gone into hiding since issuing the FRC approved resignation statement. If they're really bothered by being asked about their brother, they should be encouraging said brother to come out of hiding and speak for his own dam**d self.  The easy way to get the paps out of their faces is to get them in the face of the perpetrator.  As long as Josh allows everyone else in the family to take the heat for him, they can expect to get questioned about him.

• Love 18

Oh, to be sure, I'd have a serious problem if the paps were asking them something specific about the abuse or anything like that.  But just asking if they've talked to Josh isn't really a big deal because for nearly a decade, we've seen that they regularly talk to Josh.  Based on what the girls have said, I really don't think they have any issue being questioned about their brother, so long as it doesn't cross into the paps questioning them about the abuse.  

• Love 8

Maybe they pulled the old standard in Hollywood and actually 'told' the media where they would be. Gets attention, keeps them in the media. Maybe the instagram by Jessa was part of that. A list celebrities have been known to pull that stunt before to keep themselves relevant.

• Love 10
As long as Josh allows everyone else in the family to take the heat for him, they can expect to get questioned about him.

Thank you, doodlebug !  I so agree - it's not like he got "caught" ten years ago by the mainstream media and his parents were hiding a 14-15 year old boy from the glare. He's TWENTY-SEVEN years old, married for six-plus years, has three kids, and another on the way...

Did he build a couch fort in the living room and just decide to stay in there ? Maybe he's hiding in the tree house ? 

Forget about Where's Waldo ! Where is Josh ?!?!

• Love 11