Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Which is partially why Marjorie confuses me. These aren't multicultural, interracial/interethnic marriage approving folks.

Dumbest question ever: Did young Josiah ask Marjorie to court him and NOT discuss it with Jim Boob and J-Chelle first? Considering the fact we've seen a few instances of Jim Boob's dislike for Josiah on video previously, I'm wondering if a Duggar kid just stuck it to Daddy-O in the most public manner possible.

And yeah, I'm probably wrong, but it's interesting to consider.

• Love 5

A lot of good points here. And a commenter had one of the best points too, one that had never occurred to me. "People would go crazy if this was in the hood..."

Very true.

This. I always agree with. If the Duggars were black, Hispanic, Muslim people wouldn't accept this. It would be a totally different audience and outcome.

• Love 7

I have always enjoyed watching 19 Kids... because it reaffirms how delusional these people are. It also provides me with a couple of laughs, some definite topics to 'snark' about, and then I am off to my daily routines.

But then I read the Huffington Post, and quite honestly, the humour left me when I read "... We’ve gained 50,000 Facebook fans last week. God is expanding our borders through the national media.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/jim-bob-duggar-petition-19-kids-and-counting_n_6340246.html

These people truly believe they are on a mission to enlighten us sinners, and they clearly do not see how ridiculous, and hypocritical they are. They don't recognize that they are limiting their children, dumbing them down - especially the women. To present the view that marriage is the only excitement the kids have to look forward to, to constantly allude to the activity they'll enjoy once married, and to make sure no birth control is used, is a sad statement on what their futures will consist of. Thank goodness Jana is breaking away,

http://www.ibtimes.com/19-kids-counting-star-jana-duggar-reportedly-leaving-tlc-show-pursue-college-1844766

despite JB's disappointment. Run Jana run. And we viewers need to ensure that the Duggars realize they are strictly entertainment, NOT the gospel.

Most hunting kills can be donated to be used as food. Again, I have zero evidence that the Duggars do such things, I'm only saying that it can be done if people so choose.

LOL - there's no evidence that the Duggars donate to anything, but they certainly will take donations. Blech.

• Love 7

During the election I remember a quote that went something like - "If the Duggars were black they'd be a Mitt Romney talking point."

Since Mitt Romney has a larger-than-average family and at least one black grandchild, I doubt it.

• Love 3

i see next week the show is about poor little Josie having a seizure, and I believe Michelle says she had not had one in a long time(If I heard correctly). Why must they put something like that on tv. That family has no bounds in terms of privacy. There are some things that should just not be shown on tv.

I felt just the opposite, although I feel that TLC is using Josie's seizure in a way that's designed to garnish ratings. I don't think that TLC should be sensationalizing Josie's seizure episode as they have been, I think its irresponsible and morally wrong. On the other hand, I'm pleased to see that the Duggar's have made a decision to show some of the less cheerful and positive sides of their lives. I have always felt that's there's a plethora of incidents and emotions that they've hidden from the view of cameras because those things might present the Duggar's as less than perfect parents.

Josie is 5 years old now but her premature birth has definitely put her at a higher than normal risk of developing epilepsy, and the risk increases dramatically (by 5 times) the earlier the birth occurs during pregnancy. Josie was only 25 weeks gestation. This brings me to the problems connected to preeclampsia that Michelle had during her pregnancy. Preeclampsia is extremely dangerous during a woman's pregnancy. It wasn't like Michelle was unaware of this potentially life-threatening condition since she had preeclampsia when she was carrying the twins 20 years earlier.

The following is a quote given by Michelle in an interview with CBS News in August, 2010;

Michelle Duggar: "The OBGYN that took care of me, he does high risk pregnancies. He said the gallstone I had developed, it was a blessing in disguise. The preeclampsia could have snuck up on us and they wouldn't have been able to prepare."

Here's my question regarding the preeclampsia. If Michelle was being seen regularly during pregnancy, and developed preeclampsia during her second trimester, how is it that it wasn't treated prior to her gallbladder attack and surgery? Michelle must have been aware of the signs and symptoms of preeclampsia. When a woman reached the point of eclampsia, that presents an extreme risk for both mother and baby.

• Love 5

No it isn't their last as a family.  They just keep adding to it.  As if their own 19 were not enough, they bring the daughter-in-law, grandkids and now will have sons-in-law and more grandkids.  They'll have to rent a whole hotel soon.  And 2 or 3 stink buses.  Think ahead 10 years.  They'll have to book a whole town.

The entire Duggar extended family will fit in Jacksonville.

• Love 4

At this point, I feel like TLC is exploiting Josie's seizure for ratings.  I think that there is a way to show the situation without it being used for ratings.  I was looking at the show description and there are three or four other segments that are shown in that 1/2 hr episode (baby clothes shopping, Anna's first midwife visit and I think something else), yet the previews focus on Jana crying over Josie and Josie being taken to the ambulance.  Plus there is another episode that week. Last night I was watching Say Yes to the Dress and Bride by Design, they showed a preview of Josie's seizure each commercial break (or close to it).   Every time it was shown, I felt sick to my stomach. By the time the hour was over, I was angry that Josie's medical condition has been exploited by her family and TLC at every turn.  I understand ratings are necessary, this was over-the-top.  

I think that the show has the potential to help people understand what life is like for a preemie and their family as they get older. If they had focused an episode on Josie's development, how far she has come since birth and some of the challenges she has faced over the years, I think that it would be treating her with respect and be educational.  Explain whether the seizure is somehow related to her premature birth or is it a medical mystery/fluke unrelated to her premature delivery that will be closely monitored. What I've seen this week and the season preview, where we saw Jana talking in the hospital with Josie without a shirt on in the background, is completely disrespectful of Josie as a person. I may need to reserve judgement until Tuesday, but I have been thinking about it today and am still mad.  

I don't know if I should blame Michelle and Jim Bob for allowing it to be sensationalized or TLC for doing it.

ETA: I know we discussed this in Jana's thread earlier this week. I think it was the frequency of the commercial during fluffy bridal shows was what made my blood boil.  Maybe if there was variation in the 19 kids previews it wouldn't have bothered me as much.  

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 5

A 15 minute seizure, for someone who doesn't have a history of seizure disorders or epilepsy, is WAY out of the norm- even for a premature baby and a mother with pre-eclampsia

• Love 2

I hope someday when she's older Josie sees the seizure episode and confronts her parents asking why they allowed that to be shown. It's a total violation of her privacy, and she will have every right to demand an answer. What can Boob and J'Chelle say? We did it for the ratings. We did it because we sold you out to TLC. We did it because we became shameless famewhores and nothing was off limits. Eventually, those two are going to have a lot to answer for and very little in the way of satisfactory explanations.

• Love 1

Hpmac I don't think she'll ask the question.  Someone posted a link today of Jill saying, pre Iz's birth, that she wanted him to have the character qualities of her sister from Joy on up to Jana.  The younger ones still had faults because they hadn't been fully trained up yet, but they would be.  Major, major creep factor.  She and the older girls are perfect, the rest have yet to achieve it.  You'd think she'd have picked a brother as role model, or a person of note, but no, nobody outside the family.  The most selfish, self-absorbed bunch of people ever.  And they only hang pictures of themselves in their houses, no paintings.  Only themselves or bible verses or goodie goodie memes.  Might as well smother themselves.

• Love 7

Let's get this thread back on topic. Really if there isn't any new news stories or tweets that are newsworthy from this family then all other discussion should be taken elsewhere in this forum.

This might be off topic, (the mention of grandchildren made me think of it) but what if one of the kids has fertility issues? It would be sad of course, I can imagine it'd be hard to hear for anyone, but would they be shamed? Would they be treated as if they're not womanly enough? (They'll never believe it could be a problem with the man.) I can guess that they would probably feel as if they have no purpose; and in the Gothard world, they don't. It's so bizarre and sad.

It's not really off topic and you make a very valid point. There's many 'what ifs' that we'll never be made aware of like; 'what if one of the boys is gay?' or 'what if one of the girls is a lesbian'? or 'what if one of them falls in love with a black person?' or 'what if Michelle is able to get pregnant one more time and has a severely retarded or physically disabled child?'  Their women are born to have babies. Their males are born to breed babies. This is their mission, their only goal in life. Forget college, careers, independence and free-thinking.

• Love 1

http://www.phillymag.com/ticket/2015/04/27/kate-gosselin-the-duggars-and-other-tlc-personalities-to-host-huge-block-party-at-penns-landing/

Guests to the free event on May 30th will be able to meet the Duggar family from 19 Kids and Counting, Kate Gosselin from Kate Plus Eight, Buddy Valastro from Cake Boss, Whitney Thore from My Big Fat Fabulous Life, the Roloff family from Little People, Big World, Randy Fenoli, Monte Durham and Lori Allen from Say Yes To the Dress, and the Hamill Family from Our Little Family.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/ticket/2015/04/27/kate-gosselin-the-duggars-and-other-tlc-personalities-to-host-huge-block-party-at-penns-landing/#I8VZUW2O8GuWZJqd.99

I'd like to go to a similar event in 20 years with these families. See if selling your family for money really is a good idea.

Also, I'd like to speculate on the oldest G. Kids in a courtship with a Duggar. 14 is probably old enough by Duggar teen marriage standards, AND THINK OF THE RATINGS.

• Love 2

http://www.phillymag.com/ticket/2015/04/27/kate-gosselin-the-duggars-and-other-tlc-personalities-to-host-huge-block-party-at-penns-landing/

I'd like to go to a similar event in 20 years with these families. See if selling your family for money really is a good idea.

Also, I'd like to speculate on the oldest G. Kids in a courtship with a Duggar. 14 is probably old enough by Duggar teen marriage standards, AND THINK OF THE RATINGS.

I live in Philly, and I would love to see what people are going to do to annoy these Duggars. Haha! They need to go on a tour of South Street and the gayborhood. That would be beautiful. Get on it, TLC...
  • Love 3

I went to college in Philly and I'm always happy to have a reason to go back, but I don't think this one is going to fly. For one thing, I can't see my husband going along with it... It's a little far for a day trip, and a little much for me to manage on my own due to mobility limitations, but damn it's tempting!

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh my, snark at its finest. LOL. I found this article today and realized it chronicled the first time I ever heard of the Duggars. I can't imagine what would have been written if they were at baby 19? Of course, now I can read the article and have better insight to some of the questions. Then again, the article helped remind me how outrageous this family initially appears. Because everything in the media is "Duggar" related, Is that a good thing, or bad? I have become desensitized to the whole scenario, and I have lost the ability to observe with objectivity.

http://swanktrendz.blogspot.ca/2007/09/and-baby-makes-twelve-or-seventeen-in.html

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 1
(edited)

I understand why the Duggar girls would have been chosen for People's "Most Beautiful" edition, but oh my... this is simply affirming  their backwards way of thinking. (And they could have left Michelle out of the edition)

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 3

I understand why the Duggar girls would have been chosen for People's "Most Beautiful" edition, but oh my... this is simply affirming  their backwards way of thinking. (And they could have left Michelle out of the edition)

Bet they couldn't have. Those girls are well trained to say "Momma has to be included as one of the girls, we love her so much!" because there will be hell to catch from Boob and probably increasing insanity from Michelle if they ever tried to do anything fun without her. ( I mean, does anyone really believe that Momma was the one person Jessa most wanted to share her sky diving adventure with? As opposed to, say, her best friend Jinger? The Duggars have a lot of rules and one of them is, Momma never does anything unpleasant or hard, and never gets left out of anything fun or glamorous. Or heads will roll.)

• Love 12

I understand why the Duggar girls would have been chosen for People's "Most Beautiful" edition, but oh my... this is simply affirming their backwards way of thinking. (And they could have left Michelle out of the edition)

Michelle reminds me a lot of Kris Jenner. They're both desperate attention seeking narcissists trying to hold onto their youth by attaching themselves like remora to their pretty, famous daughters. Michelle doing Most Beautiful was like Kris crashing Kim's Playboy shoot. It's pathetic and hilarious at the same time.

• Love 17

Charitygate?

http://radaronline.com/photos/duggar-reality-fakery-19-kids-and-counting-family-stages-charity-scene/photo/1044142/

The Duggars may claim to be simple Christians rather than greedy Hollywood stars, but the Jesus-loving clan stills tricks fans with reality TV fakery— and now RadarOnline.com can prove it! On April 27, the family blatantly staged a charity scene inside a Springdale, Arkansas, thrift store and ministry center. Keep clicking for the complete story and tell-tale photos.

That's Derrick's church's thrift store. I totally believe this article. it just sounds like something they'd do.

• Love 5
After granting their permission to appear on camera, the Martinez clan spoke with producers, who coached them on how to act in front of the cameras. "Let's go over this…You're really happy that the Duggars have brought you this food, you really need this for your family," the witness says the producers told them.

One of the Duggar sons then took a box of food and placed it in the Martinez clan's car. But after the cameras were turned off, the box was taken out of the car and placed back into one of the Duggars' SUVs!

How distasteful. I think somebody needs to read Matthew 6:2-4 again:

2 So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

• Love 9

Ha ha that is awesome! They're going to have to start getting actors from casting agencies to do these fake scenes because apparently no one is showing up to "meet the Duggars." After reading the Radar Online article I'm wondering how many hapless Barnes and Noble customers were dragged out of the store's Starbucks and strong-armed by producers into standing in line for their book signings.

• Love 4

Michelle reminds me a lot of Kris Jenner. They're both desperate attention seeking narcissists trying to hold onto their youth by attaching themselves like remora to their pretty, famous daughters. Michelle doing Most Beautiful was like Kris crashing Kim's Playboy shoot. It's pathetic and hilarious at the same time.

The Duggars have reminded me of the Kardashians for a long time. Is that odd?

• Love 4
(edited)

Re; Charitygate

Question: Did the Martinez family really show up bc they were in need of help? From what I understood, they were the only family that showed up that was legitimately in need. If so, I don't believe the producers would have taken the groceries back. Maybe I'm not reading the article right.

Edited by msblossom
Question: Did the Martinez family really show up bc they were in need of help? From what I understood, they were the only family that showed up that was legitimately in need.

From the link:

The producers soon realized that there was no one in line for food, and just one group in the entire store not simply there to spot the Duggars. The insider says the crew began chatting up the Martinez clan, a family of four shopping for clothes, and gave them clipboards with release agreements attached.

So no one showed up for the food; the Martinez family was there for something completely unrelated (i.e. clothes shopping) and got roped into being part of the Duggars' dog-and-pony show.

• Love 5

Why did they suddenly decide they needed to give out food to the needy? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for that and it's great for people to think about it at times of the year that are NOT Thanksgiving -- but this seems so random, sudden, and poorly advertised. Is it wrong that my first thought was, "What are they trying to divert attention from?"

• Love 6

Why did they suddenly decide they needed to give out food to the needy? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for that and it's great for people to think about it at times of the year that are NOT Thanksgiving -- but this seems so random, sudden, and poorly advertised. Is it wrong that my first thought was, "What are they trying to divert attention from?"

Jill being a completely un-educated dumba$$?

• Love 4

From the link: The producers soon realized that there was no one in line for food, and just one group in the entire store not simply there to spot the Duggars. The insider says the crew began chatting up the Martinez clan, a family of four shopping for clothes, and gave them clipboards with release agreements attached. So no one showed up for the food; the Martinez family was there for something completely unrelated (i.e. clothes shopping) and got roped into being part of the Duggars' dog-and-pony show.

And my other question: What do the little ones take away from an experience like that? "Okay, now we're going to pretend to give away this food, but as soon as the cameras turn off, we take it back. Why? ___________." I mean, what do they tell those kids?

Boob: "We're doing this as a ministry to show other, less godly people, the importance of giving to the needy. But hey, we have a TV show, so we can SHOW them what to do without actually doing it! Isn't that awesome? It's such a blessing to be able to use our platform this way to teach others how the Lord wants us all to live."

Kids: "Okay Daddy, but why can't we let those people keep the food for real?"

Boob: "Shut up."

• Love 6

Hey, be fair! The article mentions that the bags were filled with junk food. Maybe Mr. and Mrs. Martinez were all, "Thanks, but we don't want your tater tot casserole." (Or whatever the pre-packaged equivalent was.)

• Love 8

From the link: The producers soon realized that there was no one in line for food, and just one group in the entire store not simply there to spot the Duggars. The insider says the crew began chatting up the Martinez clan, a family of four shopping for clothes, and gave them clipboards with release agreements attached. So no one showed up for the food; the Martinez family was there for something completely unrelated (i.e. clothes shopping) and got roped into being part of the Duggars' dog-and-pony show.

Thanks, Galax! Those ROL articles that have 7 pages with about 2 paragraphs worth of text are aggravating to get through and I admittedly scrolled through pretty quickly.

• Love 3

Episode fodder picked from TLC's go to list for how to make an episode when nothing film worthy is happening with the family.  This is about eight or ten on their lists - do some fake charity work.  I am surprised, if the radar article is right, that they didn't allow the family to at least keep a box of junk food.  It probably was that the family didn't want it.

• Love 2
(edited)
Those ROL articles that have 7 pages with about 2 paragraphs worth of text are aggravating to get through and I admittedly scrolled through pretty quickly.

Yeah, I dislike slideshow articles. I also hate Radar Online. Finally, I loathe the Duggars. So the fact that I clicked through a slideshow article on Radar Online that was about the Duggars means that I obviously don't love myself and need to look at my life and my choices right now.    :( 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 21

Yeah, I dislike slideshow articles. I also hate Radar Online. Finally, I loathe the Duggars. So the fact that I clicked through a slideshow article on Radar Online that was about the Duggars means that I obviously don't love myself and need to look at my life and my choices right now.    :( 

Here's the story in long format, with less pics

http://www.inquisitr.com/2057402/duggar-family-stages-food-donation-then-takes-food-back/

• Love 1

Maybe the family who said they would help out by receiving the food didn't want to take away from someone who may show up and really need it. I can see a family saying yes I'll help but we don't want to keep it

• Love 1