Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I think there are factions which fervently support both brothers, and both factions feel strongly about how much the other brother sucks, so disliking Dean is not an UO any more than disliking Sam is.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, but just to be clear I wasn't putting down Dean because I want to make Sam look better. I don't care much for Sam either. I just think Dean's an obnoxious, drunken, immature loser. We're supposed to think he's cool and everyone seems to lust over the guy but I think the exact opposite. 

I also thought of another unpopular opinion which is that I like JJ on Criminal Minds and like her now more as a profiler than I did early on in the series.  

Edited by EternallyCharmed
  • Love 1

Don't the credits come after the cold open though?  It doesn't seem to me like the credits' fault if the cold open didn't do its job.

In the olden days, they didn't do cold opens.  They actually ended shows on time, and then went to commercial, and then the opening credits song.  THEN the show starts.  So, lots of time to switch channels.  Thus was born the cold open to get you hooked before you could find the remote.

• Love 3

Then what came first, the introduction of the cold open, or the elimination/reduction of the theme songs?  Because if the cold open came first, then it doesn't seem reasonable that the themes would be eliminated to hold viewers, as was suggested.  Based on nothing but my own memory, it seems to me that cold opens came first.

• Love 1

I think you're right, and the cold opens came first.  Then they started shrinking the opening credits and music.  I think they did that to allow for more commercials.  And maybe they also wanted to cut the budget by eliminating having to pay for music rights (like the Friends theme), and to create the video.   Most shows don't have the Game of Thrones budget available.  I never miss watching the GoT credits, and love that they change them up a bit depending on what's going on in the show.

• Love 1

I used to HATE when my husband would fast forward through The Sopranos opening credits. They set the mood. It just wasn't the same without them.

Haha I always FF that song! It goes on SO long that I'm always like "just start the damn show already!"

Haha I always FF that song! It goes on SO long that I'm always like "just start the damn show already!"

The joke in our family is that if we've just hit "play" on The Game of Thrones and someone says "Oh, I forgot to....etc, etc...", we usually respond with "go ahead and do it now--the intro will probably be almost done when you return."  I can appreciate the awesome graphics and music, but only for a while, then it's fast forwarding for us.

• Love 1

I kind of miss opening theme songs (and adore GOT's title sequence), but I have to admit, I liked it better when Grimm's main title was just a quick shot of a cabin in the woods (I think) with the title and an eerie mist/spider webby effect, rather than the one with music, shots of the characters and the cast's names like it is now.  The simplicity and mystery suited the show much better.

• Love 4

I can take or leave opening themes if it's live but I will fast-forward if the episode's recorded, even if I like the song. However, there's some shows that only list the actors appearing in that episode in their opening themes so, in those instances, I'll sit through the whole thing just to see who's in it that week.

• Love 1

Opening credits are so important. I hate that shows have moved away from them. (I get it because that's limited run time that could be used to further the plot and all but I don't like it) They're like the overture at a musical; they get me in the right headspace for the show. Game of Thones is all dramatic, Big Bang Theory is silly fun, True Blood was all dark and sexy and Buffy was a cross between gothic and modern. I don't need that time to enjoy a show, but it does help. I've been rewatching House on Netflix (Canada) and the theme song is different. I feel it every time because "Teardrop" worked to tell me something about the show that this replacement music just doesn't do.

I think HBO has some of the best ones, including 6 ft under (got me mesmerised every single episode - of course, back then, I was not binge watching), Boardwalk Empire (that opening was like a whole mini movie, wasn't it? I loved, loved, loved the storm reflection in Buscemi's eyes), and of course the Sopranos. And let's not forget the Simpsons! On the other hand, the openings of Mad Men and House of Cards quickly got old, although I love the music playing over the latter.    

• Love 1

Whenever I hear the HBO "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" (that's what it sounds like to me!) I totally expect to hear the Sex and the City theme. Every damn time.

Haha, that happened to me for a while, then it changed to me expecting to hear The Sopranos when I started bingewatching that one.  Opening credits that I never FF'd through include Sopranos, OZ and, of course, The Brady Bunch.

• Love 2

I'll usually watch the Game of Thrones intro because it usually shows the locations featured in the episode. (I liked to be warned when I have to deal with a Ramsay appearance)

I watch the opening credit sequence of Black Sails every-time because it's perfect.

• Love 3

I watch the opening credit sequence of Black Sails every-time because it's perfect.

I'm still bitter it didn't win an Emmy for Best Theme Music. 

...To be fair though, I've never listened to Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, which won that year. 

• Love 3

I can take or leave opening themes if it's live but I will fast-forward if the episode's recorded, even if I like the song. However, there's some shows that only list the actors appearing in that episode in their opening themes so, in those instances, I'll sit through the whole thing just to see who's in it that week.

I could take or leave opening themes depending on the show. Some I thought were annoying or long (though they probably were not that long. They just felt that way), but some like Mad Men, The Wire, and Everwood I enjoyed over and over again. It really depends on the show for me.

(edited)

Here's an unpopular opinion about titles; I never liked the opening titles for Mad Men. While the execution of the music and the animation was well done, I always thought the title sequence was oddly too modern for the show, myself.

Edited by DittyDotDot

I sing GOT to my dog. I like opening sequences like that and BSG that will tease the episodes.

It's hard to beat Black Sails though. That first "boom" and you know it's *on*.

• Love 1

I hated it when Big Love changed from "God Only Knows" and the ice skating/eating dinner on their Mormon heaven-planet to the falling in space whatever the hell that was opening. I thought the original opening was so perfect and summed up everything I loved about the show. Which, as much as I loved Big Love, I actually never finished watching it because it got so bogged down in stupidness.

Which, I guess is sort of another thing of mine, I haven't finished the last seasons of a few of my favorite TV shows - Parks and Rec, How I Met Your Mother, House... I'm sure there's more.

My Better Call Saul UO:  I do. not. care. if there are a million Breaking Bad Easter eggs, and I do not watch hoping that I will catch a glimpse of, say, the same diner where Walt and someone did something in season 5, episode 3 of BB (I am totally making this up!).  I'm watching the story of Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman and am happy to focus on only that.

• Love 8

I can't participate in the BCS board because of that. I watched BB, it's very good, and I liked it. It makes sense that you're going to see some familiar characters. Just dial it down already.

• Love 6
(edited)

What a cathartic thread.

Rory Gilmore

This character is the pinnacle of being the most annoying, irritating character in a show that I really, actually enjoy.  I don't "hate" Rory but I really and truly find her the most annoying thing on television.  And it's weird, I don't MIND that aspect of watching the show.  I will blame a lot of it on the writing.  And her dialogue is so goddamn cutesy that it makes me kind of want to die.  Her way of speaking with guys she's interested in is like fingernails on a chalkboard.  So needlessly verbose in times when you could or should just be quiet.  But then there's also the 'acting choices' and by this I mean what is probably Alexis's natural voice and inflection when she was a teenager.  (I really enjoyed Alexis in the Sisterhood Travelling Pants movies so I don't know what that is.)  The babyvoice thing, the I'm so cute thing.  Rory and Dean flirting in Season 1 and just generally being awful together.  Worst couple of all time.

Donna Pinciotti on That 70's Show

The most propped up character that didn't deserve it.  Eric Forman's OWN STUPID PARENTS thought Donna was too good for their OWN FLESH AND BLOOD son and that he should be thankful he had her, and no matter how shittily she treated him he should thank God that she even deigned to look his way and constantly go grovelling back to her.  You couple that with Laura Prepon who was an ATROCIOUS , ATROCIOUS actor on the show (she has now found her right role on Orange is the New Black and I guess, matured somehow.)  Laura had no sense of humour, no comedic timing, no way to emotionally react to anything.  SAD.

I totally understand the Phoebe Buffay hate.  I had Phoebe Buffay and George Costanza hate in the 90s, but now I've watched the shows so many times and become an adult and see the shows on different levels, and now can accept Phoebe and George and feel affection towards them, but I TOTALLY get it.

I can't even talk about Andy Dwyer because he went from an interesting character in Season 1 to basically Homer Simpson without any of the subtextual writing or adorability, and then gained a whole bunch of popularity, and it makes me so upset to even think about it.   I don't think it's funny to watch brain damage on screen.  Do you know that this character actually once said "I can 'member stuff"  (As in "Remember"?  A writer actually WROTE that?)

Steve from Sex and the City - UGH!  Don't eeeeeeeeeeeven get me started ; )  But I would read novels about other people hating on Steve because yes, thank you.  I've done it in the SATC thread I'm sure.

My NEW contributions to this thread

Juliet from LOST.  The actor in a portrayal makes a huge difference for me whether I like or dislike a character, but god, I don't know what is supposed to be redeemable about this asshole.  I hate Juliet from jump and I hate her until the end.  I hate hate hate Juliet and I hate the actor's simpering fucking delivery.  Her way of tilting her head up, making zero expression in her eyes, and then pursing her lips to say something obnoxious.  AH!

Will Truman in Season 1 of Will and Grace is such an incredible fucking asshole sometimes.  The way he treats Grace when she wants to purchase the unit that her design studio is in?  If you want to hate a character, please watch Will in this episode.  He was a total asshole.  I watched the show for Jack and Karen and now can somewhat tolerate Will and Grace, but for many years they were just "there" - flies I would swat away until the good stuff would happen.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Rory Gilmore

This character is the pinnacle of being the most annoying, irritating character in a show that I really, actually enjoy.  I don't "hate" Rory but I really and truly find her the most annoying thing on television. And it's weird, I don't MIND that aspect of watching the show. I will blame a lot of it on the writing.  And her dialogue is so goddamn cutesy that it makes me kind of want to die. Her way of speaking with guys she's interested in is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I didn't mind Rory, but that was only in comparison to how much I disliked Lorelai. This is maybe a split decision on unpopularity, but I really enjoyed Jess, simply because I felt that a wrong-for-her "bad boy" was exactly the type of relationship Rory needed at the time. Of course, that's who she would fall for, after Dean!

I had no particular stake in seeing Rory turn out well or do the right thing, and as a bonus, the relationship irked Lorelai. The whole Jess storyline was pure catnip for me.

• Love 3

The most propped up character that didn't deserve it.  Eric Forman's OWN STUPID PARENTS thought Donna was too good for their OWN FLESH AND BLOOD son and that he should be thankful he had her, and no matter how shittily she treated him he should thank God that she even deigned to look his way and constantly go grovelling back to her.  You couple that with Laura Prepon who was an ATROCIOUS , ATROCIOUS actor on the show (she has now found her right role on Orange is the New Black and I guess, matured somehow.)  Laura had no sense of humour, no comedic timing, no way to emotionally react to anything.  SAD.

I can't even watch reruns of that show anymore because the things that angered me about it have come to far outweigh the things I used to like. In regards to Donna, that was one of the worst cases of shameless plugging for a character that I've ever seen. One of its worst was when Casey had just broken up with Donna so Donna comes crawling back to Eric. Granted, Eric would ultimately have been who she wanted all along but IN THAT MOMENT she was vulnerable and if Eric gave into her, he would've been taking advantage. But he didn't, he turned her down because he didn't want to be her second choice. But instead of allowing Eric a shred of dignity, he was torn a new one like he should just be grateful he was any choice of Donna's at all.

I'd also add Fez, though I question if he was really as popular as he was made out to be. He was a caricature and, quite frankly, became restraining order-level of a creepy pervert with hiding in Donna's and Jackie's closets. The thought of him and Jackie... or him and anyone really... ending up together is sickening.

My NEW contributions to this thread

Juliet from LOST.  The actor in a portrayal makes a huge difference for me whether I like or dislike a character, but god, I don't know what is supposed to be redeemable about this asshole.  I hate Juliet from jump and I hate her until the end.  I hate hate hate Juliet and I hate the actor's simpering fucking delivery.  Her way of tilting her head up, making zero expression in her eyes, and then pursing her lips to say something obnoxious.  AH!

I'd answer but I have no clue what's so great about Juliet either, or the character assassination that was Sawyer "La Flower"/Juliet. All I can think of is it's because she's not Kate. But Juliet was hardly anything refreshing to the Jack/Kate/Sawyer black hole, she was just the consolation prize for whatever state the triangle (well, now square) was in.

• Love 4
(edited)

I hate Zack Addy on Bones. I never found him a lovable nerd who simply lost his way

... he was a two-faced, manipulative, sociopathic accessory to a murder, and it sickened me how Bones and everyone else woobie-fied and placed him on a pedestal even knowing what he'd done.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

I can't even watch reruns of that show anymore because the things that angered me about it have come to far outweigh the things I used to like. In regards to Donna, that was one of the worst cases of shameless plugging for a character that I've ever seen. One of its worst was when Casey had just broken up with Donna so Donna comes crawling back to Eric. Granted, Eric would ultimately have been who she wanted all along but IN THAT MOMENT she was vulnerable and if Eric gave into her, he would've been taking advantage. But he didn't, he turned her down because he didn't want to be her second choice. But instead of allowing Eric a shred of dignity, he was torn a new one like he should just be grateful he was any choice of Donna's at all.

I'd also add Fez, though I question if he was really as popular as he was made out to be. He was a caricature and, quite frankly, became restraining order-level of a creepy pervert with hiding in Donna's and Jackie's closets. The thought of him and Jackie... or him and anyone really... ending up together is sickening.

I'd like to add Hyde to the list of annoying characters. I don't full-out hate him, but he had this smugness about him that got on my damn nerves. And he just wasn't believable as a teenager lol

• Love 1

I'd like to add Hyde to the list of annoying characters. I don't full-out hate him, but he had this smugness about him that got on my damn nerves. And he just wasn't believable as a teenager lol

I hated him specifically when they were trying out that Eric/Donna/Hyde quasi-triangle. Donna was never torn between them, it was established right from the pilot that Eric likes Donna and Donna likes Eric, which Hyde knew. So when he kept on after her it made him look really sleazy and a bad friend to Eric. I was glad they dropped that storyline fairly quickly.

• Love 4

Daryl, The Walking Dead.

Sure, he was fairly competent and not as annoying as other characters in the first few seasons of the show, but I don't understand the whole "No Daryl, we riot"-movement. He was never a particularly interesting character and Norman Reedus is not that good of an actor. And he doesn't bathe. (It's weird to me that he has this Walking Dead heartthrob status.)

Yes! The Daryl worship is over the top and annoying. It seems almost clear that the writers have nowhere further to take the Daryl character, but fail to write him off because of fear of fan backlash, which is highly annoying. I also don't get the Daryl heartthrob status either. I can't stand his hair half the time...and the actor looks pretty generic to me. Nothing remarkable or swoonworthy about him.

• Love 2

I hated him specifically when they were trying out that Eric/Donna/Hyde quasi-triangle. Donna was never torn between them, it was established right from the pilot that Eric likes Donna and Donna likes Eric, which Hyde knew. So when he kept on after her it made him look really sleazy and a bad friend to Eric. I was glad they dropped that storyline fairly quickly.

It's all part of their "Donna Pinciotti is irresistible to everyone and can do no wrong" BULLSHIT.  Somebody at that show had a really weird thing for Laura.

• Love 5

Yes! The Daryl worship is over the top and annoying. It seems almost clear that the writers have nowhere further to take the Daryl character, but fail to write him off because of fear of fan backlash, which is highly annoying. I also don't get the Daryl heartthrob status either. I can't stand his hair half the time...and the actor looks pretty generic to me. Nothing remarkable or swoonworthy about him.

It falls into the stereotype that a man is only as valuable as the size of his wallet. In a world where money isn't that important the ability to put a crossbow bolt through a walker's head, silently so you don't endanger the group becomes the new rich man.

• Love 2

The most propped up character that didn't deserve it.  Eric Forman's OWN STUPID PARENTS thought Donna was too good for their OWN FLESH AND BLOOD son and that he should be thankful he had her, and no matter how shittily she treated him he should thank God that she even deigned to look his way and constantly go grovelling back to her.  You couple that with Laura Prepon who was an ATROCIOUS , ATROCIOUS actor on the show (she has now found her right role on Orange is the New Black and I guess, matured somehow.)  Laura had no sense of humour, no comedic timing, no way to emotionally react to anything.  SAD.

I always hated how the show kept trying to point out how gorgeous Donna was. They had that whole "Hot Donna" thing going. I thought Jackie was just as pretty or more so than Donna. 

• Love 9

I hated it when Big Love changed from "God Only Knows" and the ice skating/eating dinner on their Mormon heaven-planet to the falling in space whatever the hell that was opening. I thought the original opening was so perfect and summed up everything I loved about the show. Which, as much as I loved Big Love, I actually never finished watching it because it got so bogged down in stupidness.

Which, I guess is sort of another thing of mine, I haven't finished the last seasons of a few of my favorite TV shows - Parks and Rec, How I Met Your Mother, House... I'm sure there's more.

It did!? I never knew...

I always hated how the show kept trying to point out how gorgeous Donna was. They had that whole "Hot Donna" thing going. I thought Jackie was just as pretty or more so than Donna.

I actually thought Donna was kind of unattractive and Jackie much prettier. Laura Prepon grew into her looks when she got older, but I think she still looks better with red hair than the washed out blonde.

• Love 7

The blonde was horrible. I remember hearing Laura dyed it for another role so T7S was just lazy and put it in the show. I don't know why they couldn't have found a red wig or something instead.

I agree Jackie was prettier too but I don't think it's that Jackie wasn't considered pretty, I think her bitchiness was just supposed to be her overriding trait... except Jackie and Donna were both bitches. The difference is Jackie owned up to it while Donna acted high and mighty. And in my opinion Jackie was a far better friend to Donna than Donna was to her. She always took Donna's side while Donna always chose any of the guys over Jackie.

But I think sometimes when shows overcompensate about a character's looks or how great they are, it's because they know the character itself really isn't all that great but maybe by shouting it out anyway, the hope is the audience will still go along with it. But for me, that's a sure fire way to make me not like a character.

• Love 4

Mila is gorgeous, but she was only 14 when she auditioned for T7S and was only 15-23 when the show was on so it would be pretty creepy if they kept insisting how irresistible she was.  I just think that they went way overboard with the Laura Prepon/Donna shit.  

• Love 5
(edited)

I can't participate in the BCS board because of that. I watched BB, it's very good, and I liked it. It makes sense that you're going to see some familiar characters. Just dial it down already.

Well in the shows defense it really can't. This is the story of how Jimmy McGill became Saul Hoodnan and only takes place a few years befor the first season of BB. It's not like it's 20 years earlier and "Saul" introduced Walter White to a fair assortment of guys.

Bringing in BB characters isn't just an Easter egg it's how Jimmy and Mike ran into them and how they got started. BCS isn't happening in a bubble. It can't really ignore what is going to happen in a few years.

Edited by Chaos Theory
(edited)

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this because I haven't watched either Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, but since Better Call Saul is a prequel, shouldn't they be writing Better Call Saul as though Breaking Bad hasn't happened, because it hasn't? Shouldn't this be the approach to all prequels?

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

Well in the shows defense it really can't. This is the story of how Jimmy McGill became Saul Hoodnan and only takes place a few years befor the first season of BB. It's not like it's 20 years earlier and "Saul" introduced Walter White to a fair assortment of guys.

Bringing in BB characters isn't just an Easter egg it's how Jimmy and Mike ran into them and how they got started. BCS isn't happening in a bubble. It can't really ignore what is going to happen in a few years.

I think maybe Ganesh was referring to certain commenters on the message board with the "tone it down" thing, not the show itself.

(edited)

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this because I haven't watched either Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, but since Better Call Saul is a prequel, shouldn't they be writing Better Call Saul as though Breaking Bad hasn't happened, because it hasn't? Shouldn't this be the approach to all prequels?

Yes and no. BB hasn't happened yet but I like to think of it as Walter's destruction of a good thing due to avarice and greed. BCS is in large part building up that good thing. Yes none of the things have happened yet but they will and you can't write the show like it won't. You can't write a prequel without keeping in mind what happens next because both Jimmy/Saul and Mike need to be in certain places when BB starts.

Edited by Chaos Theory

The board is littered with "that's the diner from S3E5!!! zomg WW had the bacon!" Yes, clearly, we're going to see things like that. They also brought in a character from BB that is organic to BCS, and I thought it was cool. To the mods credit, they've made an effort to filter out most of that. 

I'm much more interested in Jimmy and Kim and what's going to happen to her, and Chuck, and Howard. The TPTBs have put together a good show that's not just ticking off boxes to BB. There's other people talking about that too, so maybe it will improve. 

• Love 2

Yes and no. BB hasn't happened yet but I like to think of it as Walter's destruction of a good thing due to avarice and greed. BCS is in large part building up that good thing. Yes none of the things have happened yet but they will and you can't write the show like it won't. You can't write a prequel without keeping in mind what happens next because both Jimmy/Saul and Mike need to be in certain places when BB starts.

Oh, I get that, but what I was more getting at is, I think each show should be able to stand on it's own with the audience being able to understand what's going on without needing to watching the other show. If one show is just a string of homages to the other, then I think that's a mistake, myself.

Oh, I get that, but what I was more getting at is, I think each show should be able to stand on it's own with the audience being able to understand what's going on without needing to watching the other show. If one show is just a string of homages to the other, then I think that's a mistake, myself.

I am not sure what you mean by homage then. I might agree woth you if BCS took place 20 years ago but we are talking about less then a decade. We are talking about people who influenced his life on BB so it is interesting that this time in his life is where he meets them. That's what a prequel is. Again if this was Jimmy as a young boy I'd agree with you. No reason for all the cameos and they would even be out of place but at this point in his life they make sense.

(edited)

I am not sure what you mean by homage then. I might agree woth you if BCS took place 20 years ago but we are talking about less then a decade. We are talking about people who influenced his life on BB so it is interesting that this time in his life is where he meets them. That's what a prequel is. Again if this was Jimmy as a young boy I'd agree with you. No reason for all the cameos and they would even be out of place but at this point in his life they make sense.

I just mean if the show can't stand on it's own without the references to the other show, then that's a problem, IMO. Basically, I shouldn't have to go watch Breaking Bad to understand Better Call Saul. Better Call Saul should be it's own unique show with it's own storylines and such, but still sit in the Breaking Bad universe.

TBH, I don't understand why it matters if the show takes place 20 years earlier or a week earlier, I think each one should be it's own show.

Like I said, I have not yet watched either show, so don't know if this is what the show is actually doing, just sticking my nose into somewhere it probably doesn't belong.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3

BCS is its own show. I don't like that the board was tilted in discussing the show strictly within the context of BB. 

There's a thread that's for BCS only.  Problem is, there's not much action there because I suspect it's just not as much "fun."   

• Love 1
(edited)

In my original UO post, I wasn't talking about characters - obviously some of them have to be there because of the world the characters travel in (though 3 pages in the comment section in the vein of "omg it's Krazy-8 and I squealed when I saw the twins!" gets to be a little much).  It's more the little things dropped in that I don't care that much about; the same diner that Walt ate in, the same waitress, the same director as a BB episode, a sign, a location, etc that we see for a fleeting second but it's somehow important to know that it was in BB too. It does make the message boards a little hard to handle, especially when they end up discussing BB to the point where the discussion has nothing to do with BCS at all. 

But like I said, it's a UO.

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 1

Trevor Noah put the interview in the middle of the show. I don't know if I can live on this planet anymore. Oh, and I FF-ed through it anyway, but must comment on what I didn't watch nonetheless. 

• Love 4