Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

I had no clue on FJ either. Didn't see the movie and am not familiar with the actor they mentioned.

Yay Matthew!  Great to see a Rhode Islander win :-) He had such a great attitude and the ballboy story was cute. That poor woman at the end seemed to have good knowledge but she just couldn't beat them to the buzzer. Sounds strange to say but I was also impressed by the TS. I hate when contestants just guess, then lose money unnecessarily.

I saw the movie, but what clicked for me wasn't having seen it but was the fact it was only movie about a movie from 2013 that I knew of.

From earlier this week, my husband and I had a complaint about the Ghostbusters category. The word was underlined, meaning they were talking about the actual movie, not just the concept in general, and Alex specifically called out that it was having its 30th anniversary this year, so, again the original movie, not the franchise in general. But the second clue was a quote about Dana's baby. Who only existed in Ghostbusters 2. That clue wasn't even about the right movie so didn't fit the category. We called shenanigans!

• Love 2

I must admit: I do not like Shakespeare.  I've tried.  I really have.  But nope.  Not me.  Yet even *I* knew the answers displayed.  I think my friend's 13-year old would've known the correct response.  WTH?  Are the writers on vacation & their kids are writing the "answers"?  "Beware the Ides of _________"  Really, show?

• Love 5

I haven't seen yesterday's episode yet but looked up the FJ and got it immediately.  I know David Tomlinson well as Mr. Banks because I'm a big fan of musicals and have lots of soundtracks and cast recordings on my iPod, Mary Poppins among them.  

In the end I went 3/5 for FJ this week.  Actually, it occurs to me that being a fan of musicals helped out with two FJs this week.  

I was really excited about the Doonesbury category. I used to hover over the family newspaper as a teen, waiting for my chance to see Doonesbury. I used to cut them out every day and put them in a scrapbook. I followed it for years.

I was disappointed that the contestants didn't really seem familiar with the strip, but then again, it really was a rather obscure category compared to the usual Jeopardy fare. I couldn't be outraged the way I was when no one knew anything about the Roosevelts.

• Love 1

This game seemed a bit better than a few of them last week - perhaps it seemed better because I was able to answer so many questions tonight - including FJ

Contestant #3 has an interesting job - an editor at the UN

I hope the winner speeds things up a bit, though, in tomorrow's game - needs to pick up the pace selecting & answering questions

Edited by Marathonrunner

I can't believe none of US got it.  I was thinking Henry Mancini, but he's not *really* a performer, is he?  What performers do 11 movie soundtracks?  Not even Carly Simon's had songs in 11 movies.

Duh.  And I was just thinking about that guy this afternoon...something I *rarely* do.

I couldn't come up with anything for yesterday's FJ.  I could think of some people who have had several hits on soundtracks--Kenny Loggins was the first to come to mind--but the phrasing of the question made me think it was someone who performed the entire soundtrack, not just one hit song.  When the answer was revealed it all made sense, but I just never considered him.  If I'd focused on someone who had hit albums and starred in the movies I might have got there, but I just didn't make that connection.

I liked Heather's voice.

Heather has a lovely voice, but I agree with whoever said earlier that she's too slow.  

Edited by smrou
Let me get this straight:  Even though the name of Anderson Cooper's ancestor was basically Dutch Van den Dutch, they took the additional step of highlighting The Netherlands on the map?

Don't forget they did it for Dr. Oz and Turkey too ?  And whatever the $200 clue was with Charlestown and Boston.  Damn those were weak-ass clues.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

I'm totally geeking out that not only was there a player-champ from my home state of Rhode Island last night but an entire category tonight! 

I thought Christine (? not sure of her name) was impressive, especially in that physics category. I hope she continues to win.

I was a bit appalled that in a Final Jeopardy category called English Monarchs, one of the guesses was Mary Queen of Scots. But I guess if you're just drawing a blank, better to write something than nothing.

• Love 4

I thought Christine (? not sure of her name) was impressive, especially in that physics category. I hope she continues to win.

Catherine. I like her too and was impressed with her physics knowledge. I don't remember -- What is her occupation?

Sports jeopardy premiered today on crackle. Dan Patrick is the host.

Watched it -- didn't care for it, especially the contestant interview component that went on forever.  Preferred Rock 'n' Roll Jeopardy to Sports Jeopardy.

That 'The Cutoff' category with the moving baseball player positions was just ..... bad.

Catherine was really fast in picking categories.  A couple of times she talked over Alex who was still trying to (needlessly) explain the last answer.  He always has to show off.  I chuckled at her ignoring him. 

• Love 4

The triple stumpers in the category about rock stars' art work were rather surprising to me - especially Paul McCartney and Grace Slick - and the moment in which I thought Bill Moyers was going to be a TS (in another category) was depressing.

But on the whole it was a good game, and there's something about the middle contestant I quite liked.

I came up with FJ, but at the last second; I don't think there is any way I'd have done so - let alone written it down - under game conditions.

Edited by Bastet

I didn't even focus on Shakespeare and Coleridge for the FJ because that brought too many possibilities.  I tried to come up with an alliterative phrase that described an ending and had something to do with nature.  I might have gotten there eventually if I had an hour or so, but came up completely blank in the given time.

The triple stumpers in the category about rock stars' art work were rather surprising to me - especially Paul McCartney and Grace Slick

That category was the only one in DJ that I ran (and easily), so I was also surprised by the triple stumpers.  

• Love 2

That was one of my favorite type of games - no dilly-dallying - pleasant demeanor of all 3 contestants - cleared the boards - but they didn't know Paul McCartney or Grace Slick (at least Alex didn't give his tired it's before your time speech!)

The winner has beautiful posture - no slouching over her podium at all

FJ - no problem coming up with Elvis the other night but no way could I come up with swan song - strange what the brain knows/remembers/figures out