Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Cease Forcing Enemy

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Welcome back, show!

Don't you be going after my Tech Girl, John Hodgeman!  And don't be going after Not CCH Pounder, either.  She will eat you!

I rather enjoy seeing Kurt restrained and put into dire peril.  Thank you for appealing to my kinky fantasies, show.

I don't care if Jane is Taylor Shaw, I will call her Jane until this show ends.

I wonder if actors from Turkey and Albania are getting sick of being type cast as terrorists and Iranians and falafel vendors?

Finally, the entire plane sequence made me think of this: https://youtu.be/jljAMQNbl4Y?t=4m33s

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

Don't you be going after my Tech Girl, John Hodgeman!  And don't be going after Not CCH Pounder, either.  She will eat you!

I guess he's supposed to be the replacement for Gaston's character.

• Love 1

Laughing out loud with all the technical mumbo-jumbo.

1. The FBI manages to bring someone with no clear identity, with no clear citizenship to Turkish soil?

2. There is access from the aircraft's wheel bay to the cabin? What is this? Commando?

3. There is an avionics bay in an airliner where controls can be made to override the flight deck?

4. Somebody who does not work in a radio room is able to understand morse code off-hand, without even a piece of paper?

5. An aircraft can be made glide back to the runway without any kind of approach?

6. And last but definitely not least, "A plane is a plane is a plane."

With this kind of logic, this show makes just as much sense as any show in Arrowverse. Well, it is Berlanti, maybe they can have a crossover with Supergirl too.

• Love 4

Told myself  I wasn't going to watch this, but I did.  And I regret every moment, except one:  "In my head, where math is done!"  I am so going to ask her out, just as soon as I can track down her number!

• Love 7

Hey, Blindspot is back!  At least they gave a helpful recap to remember all the important stuff like Patterson getting her boyfriend killed, Weller's creepy obsession with Jane, Jane did this all to herself, and, of course, the most important part, this all started thanks to a naked, tattooed Jaimie Alexander!

I'm sorry, I love John Hodgman, but him showing up as what I'm guessing is the new antagonist now that Michael Gaston is gone, just made me laugh and laugh.  I just can't seem him as a Chief Inspector or whatever he is.  He's just Comedian John Hodgman, to me.  What next?  Louis C.K. as The Director?  Jon Stewart as the President of the United States?

So, for tonight's episode, Jane's magical tattoos lead them one of those missing airplanes that keep happening in real life, but in this case, it was a plane that was kidnapped by terrorists so they can launch some kind of missiles or some shit.  Nothing too hard for the gang to handle!  Although, of course, Kurt and Jane are the ones who got to heroically board the plane.  When Reade and Zapata were watching them take off, I really wanted one of them to say "Man, why do they get to do the cool shit?"

At least Sakina Jaffrey's character ended up not being some traitor, like I thought she would be.  But I did love when they thought they might have to blow up the plane, and Kurt and Jane began holding hands and making eyes at each other, because I had to think she was thinking "Well, great.  I guess I ain't getting any comfort from y'all jerks over there!"

Patterson manages to save her job, but now Evil John Hodgman (hee!) is going to use this to target Mayfair instead.

Of course, Jane was going to stand-up Weller like the lug he is, in order to try and get info from mysterious dude.  Can't blame her!  And he tells her she is really Taylor Shaw!  Unless he is lying.  Which is possible.  With this show, I'm prepared for anything.

• Love 2

How did Patterson decide to decode the pi pieces a mere two days before the terrorists launched the plane?

Funny how Jane spent the first ten episodes longing for information about her past and why she has the tattoos, but when Better Love Interest Dude shows up and rescues her from Evil CIA Guy and shows her a video of herself, her first response is to try to shoot him.  Okay.

I'd hoped coming back from break we'd see some adjustments of the character dynamics such that Jane isn't so anxiously attached to Weller and Weller stops being a creeper who looms out of the shadows, but no such luck.

• Love 5

I decided to give this show another try, but halfway through, I just said no. They gave us a couple of minutes in the beginning about the tattoos, but when the guy said he had to follow the playbook & not tell her what was going on, I knew I wasn't going to be happy. The show is still an FBI crime of the week show, & I just have no interest in that.

They kept this show off the air after the "Fall Finale" so long that I'd pretty much forgotten about it; and if my dvr hadn't recorded it last night I wouldn't be watching it right now. Only the promise of seeing Francois Arnaud might keep me watching it. Oh, and John Hodgeman!

So, how come they can only beat the terrorists when they actually have their hands tied behind their backs?

The flashbacks made me realize how much I'll miss the Nerdmuffin. But I was glad to see the shrink. He's pleasant. And appropriate.

How did Patterson decide to decode the pi pieces a mere two days before the terrorists launched the plane?

Funny how Jane spent the first ten episodes longing for information about her past and why she has the tattoos, but when Better Love Interest Dude shows up and rescues her from Evil CIA Guy and shows her a video of herself, her first response is to try to shoot him.  Okay.

I'd hoped coming back from break we'd see some adjustments of the character dynamics such that Jane isn't so anxiously attached to Weller and Weller stops being a creeper who looms out of the shadows, but no such luck.

Well, technically the bad dudes said they *weren't* quite ready, but were moving things up because the appearance of FBI peeps on their doorstep made them nervous.

Love the nick: "Better Love Interest Dude" because he so is. I had forgotten how much I hate the way Weller speaks. It was slightly improved, but I'm never going to like Agent Neckbeard.

So much hate that Jane's response to the BLID was attacking him. Way to learn more and work a source. Wench. There was a quote recently in the media thread about how JA/Jane sees jane as a strong person, and then I see her making those googly eyes, and just think WTF?

Told myself  I wasn't going to watch this, but I did.  And I regret every moment, except one:  "In my head, where math is done!"  I am so going to ask her out, just as soon as I can track down her number!

That was my single favorite line of this series.

Pretty sure her number is pi. Try 314-1592...

• Love 5

How did they decide to tattoo the location of the plane on her body over four months ago, when the plane only went missing three months ago?

• Love 4

Maybe that is one of my confusions this entire show. A number of the cases that they solved happened on real-time. However, Jane's tattoos, being the puzzles they are, require time to decipher. As well, nobody can predict the sequence of which the tattoos to be analyzed. And yet they solved the tattoo just in time of a criminal activity in progress or about to start.

• Love 3

Oh well, I guess that'll continue being a thorn in this show's side unfortunately.

I really enjoyed it.  I still raise an eyebrow at the magical tattoos and how the one tattoo they choose to investigate that week just coincidentally and conveniently happens to involve something that is imminently going down RIGHT NOW.  What happens if Patterson says, "Hey, I was working on the tattoo of the angry faced girl on the left boob and was making progress.  But then I got really distracted by the cute bunny on the curve of the right buttcheek, and I'm a butt girl, so I went for the butt."  Is there then some sort of mystical tattoo god that decides that the Butt Bunny threat has suddenly moved up its place in the timeline?  What happens to Angry Boob?  Has to wait its turn until next week?  I guess I just have to handwave all of this, because none of it particularly makes any sense.

That said, I found the plot enjoyable, and I loved seeing Patterson in her element and in all her competence.  Don't care for the nerdy internal affairs guy at all, but I suppose we are not supposed to.

My question is that Jaylor and Weller took out all the guys in the passenger area of the plane.  Did they kill them all?  Then there was the pilot and co-pilot.  Each seemed to just knock them out, I don't recall, but I don't think they were shot .  Was the scientist supposed to guard over them if they woke up?  She kind of just disappeared.

During the hiatus, Weller's neckbeard actually seems to have grown in even thicker and angrier, haha.

I do like the "More Blindspot" vignettes during the commercials that explains more about the show and what is going on.  I like hearing Stapleton's natural accent, and Jaimie Alexander is way more appealing as an actress talking normally about her character than her character is on the show.

• Love 2

How did they decide to tattoo the location of the plane on her body over four months ago, when the plane only went missing three months ago?

Maybe they knew the plan that the plane will be hijacked. I don't know dude :D

(edited)

I had completely forgotten how or why Jane was tied up and even where she was when Better Love Interest Dude (LOVE that name) showed up to free her and show her the video. And yeah, what was with her first instinct, to SHOOT the first guy who can tell her who she is? Please.

I had to turn the channel when the bad guys were getting set to video Weller's beheading. I'm just not into that, real or imagined. When I turned back, everyone was on the plane, with Weller and Jane set to take over flying the thing. It's nice to know that pretty much anyone can fly a jumbo jet, and land it safely without even knocking a cup off the dashboard, when the thing is free falling at a zillion miles an hour with no engine. 

So Jane is Taylor Shaw? Who gives a care? Besides creepizoid Weller, that is.

If I have to see that gross moustache every week, I'm going to puke. I couldn't take my eyes off of it, it was so OTT GROSS. Triple YUCK. Disgusting.

But I do love me that Not CCH Pounder actress. She's fantastic. And no moustache. Double win.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
(edited)

There was a quote recently in the media thread about how JA/Jane sees jane as a strong person, and then I see her making those googly eyes, and just think WTF?

I read that quote right after seeing the episode last night and was astounded, especially because Jane is at her absolute googliest "[in service to] the male lead." There have been so many times when Alexander/the directors could have tweaked her acting choices and transformed Jane from "civilian wife unwittingly caught up in the fray" to "very concerned but competent peer."  It wouldn't take much, but would make a world of difference. There was a moment in this ep when Weller ran off to derring-do and Jane wanted to go with him, and she came across so desperate.  In the early eps this was more understandable (even if it tried my patience), but by now it's just... not good.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 1

To be honest, despite my love for Patterson and enjoyment of her Nerdmuffin, I'm pretty much hate-watching because basically everything I liked last year got cancelled. Nevertheless, I can't help pointlessly searching for sense in the senseless.

So, and just winging it here, they mentioned that those coordinates/ that location was used as a safe harbor for evil bad guys. And were then surprised to discover not only the plane but a terror cell. Presumably even before the plane was there, the "evil bad terror dudes" had been using it as an HQ! (limitless reference there) to hatch their various nefarious plans. So I guess the point is their presence was detected by the tat-crew, and relevant regardless of what plan the ebtd were carrying out. So even if the fibbies didn't thwart this particular plan, then there would always be a next one to stop. (Assuming the terror cell has embraced a "puritan" work ethic and keeps cranking them out.)

• Love 1

So Jane is Taylor Shaw? Who gives a care? Besides creepizoid Weller, that is.

Yes, I'm not sure why they were so back and forth a few episodes ago.

• Love 1

I read that quote right after seeing the episode last night and was astounded, especially because Jane is at her absolute googliest "[in service to] the male lead." There have been so many times when Alexander could have tweaked her acting choices and transformed Jane from "civilian wife unwillingly caught up in the fray" to "very concerned but competent peer."  It wouldn't take much, but would make a world of difference. There was a moment in this ep when Weller ran off to derring-do and Jane wanted to go with him, and she came across so desperate.  In the early eps this was more understandable (even if it tried my patience), but by now it's just... not good.

And you're right, that is entirely down to the acting, and the reason I am increasingly coming to dislike her character. I wasn't a fan of what the set up meant for her character, because although I thought a certain dependency would be probable (and justifiable), it's not something I enjoy watching. But since then, she should have come into her own some. She should be more confident and independent. And if they must insist on her feels for the thoroughly uncharismatic Agent Neckbush (although I'd much rather they didn't), then I'd like to see her selling it as attraction and passion and not desperation ffs. At least, not if you're trying to sell her as a strong person. Ugh.
  • Love 1

That's the first problem with this show, they've never explained how someone is apparently able to see into the future.

To be honest, despite my love for Patterson and enjoyment of her Nerdmuffin, I'm pretty much hate-watching because basically everything I liked last year got cancelled.

I have 4 or 5 other shows I watch on Mondays, so I can't waste the time on this show to hate watch. I have quit cold turkey.

But I do love me that Not CCH Pounder actress. She's fantastic. And no moustache. Double win.

I'm assuming you mean Marianne Jean Baptiste, and yes, she is amazing.  She was Oscar nominated in "Secrets and Lies" years ago, and probably better known for her turn as Viv in "Without a Trace".  She also appeared in "Broadchurch" last year in her native England.  She does a very convincing New York American accent.

• Love 2

I have 4 or 5 other shows I watch on Mondays, so I can't waste the time on this show to hate watch. I have quit cold turkey.

I envy you. I managed to quit Quantico, which was a relief. I think I need a final straw moment to get over stuff. The way they're going here, it's doubtlessly only a matter of time. *sigh*

• Love 1

I envy you. I managed to quit Quantico, which was a relief. I think I need a final straw moment to get over stuff. The way they're going here, it's doubtlessly only a matter of time. *sigh*

I'm still watching "Quantico", although whether I continue to do so depends wholly on how ridiculous it gets after it comes back this Sunday.  I am thiisssss close to giving up on "How to Get Away With Murder".  On both of these shows, I realised that I dislike or intensely despise almost all of the characters.  When every week I find myself hoping that everyone dies, it might be a good time to quit the show.

I'm not there yet with "Blindspot".  I do like Sullivan Stapleton, and I like everyone else except maybe for Jaylor.  I like Jaimie Alexander, I just can't bring myself to like Jaylor.

(edited)

All I could think during the plane landing scene was that The A-Team did it so much better thirty years ago (maybe because The A-Team tended to embrace its own ridiculousness....)

Patterson continues to belong on a different, far more awesome show.

I rather enjoy seeing Kurt restrained and put into dire peril.  Thank you for appealing to my kinky fantasies, show.

I kept thinking that maybe the knife could scrape away a bit of the neck beard...

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 2

That's the first problem with this show, they've never explained how someone is apparently able to see into the future.

I'm assuming we're going to be treated to some kind of 'mass government surveillance' storyline a la Person of Interest. I don't have a problem with that, but I think the show needs to get to where it's going.  That's one of the reasons why I'm glad they (supposedly) answered the 'Is she Taylor Shaw' question. The show has asked way to many questions without answering many so far.

I wasn't a fan of what the set up meant for her character, because although I thought a certain dependency would be probable (and justifiable), it's not something I enjoy watching. But since then, she should have come into her own some. She should be more confident and independent.

While I agree with you and DEM in that I hate when Jane goes all Kindergartner Jane on us, to be fair, it's only been 4 months since she was dumped in Times Square without her memory. The timeline on the show is moving much slower than real time (esp. with a long hiatus). Though I'm def. hoping for progress on that front, I think her jittery-ness/dependency is understandable .

Can we just take a moment-- I hadn't really got a good look before at her Pre-Jane boyfriend/lover/fiance(?) guy but... WOW.  

• Love 1

Look show we need to talk: in about a month '12 Monkeys' will return - this means I will need all my brain capacity to follow that show's awesomely convoluted narrative that actually does make sense if I think hard enough about it. I can't waste anymore brain-cells on your premise that is increasingly in need of a suitcase full of Occam's razors.

Please try to start making sense, is what I'm saying - even if it means you have to admit to time-travel (though I won't be happy with that). And while you're at it: try to develop a sense of humor too. Watch an episode or two of 'Limitless'. Once you do that people will be much more forgiving when you come up with tech-talk that makes no sense and sad love-triangle montages right out of a soap opera playbook.

Ending on a positive note: Patterson and Mayfair remain awesome, so that's something.

• Love 2

What do they say, timing is everything. Good timing is good luck, perfect timing is...perfect for a television show.

• Love 1

Assuming that this is all from an NSA type spy program the most logical "realistic" explanation is that the tattoos represent intelligence no one wants to act on for some reason since by overtly acting on it the program will be revealed. This is why CIA guy was upset about. As he said by letting Jane live and following the tattoos they would've wound up testifying before a sub committee I think was the line.

The hanger could've been a location they knew about through the program but didn't what or when something was going to happen there. Perfect timing all because tech girl couldn't sleep. I'm over thinking this, help me.

Could Jane and friends be rogue agents upset with all that spying with the gathered intelligence not even being used?

About the plane in the hanger. After sitting for three months it probably would've taken some maintenance before it could be rolled out and flown but I guess we were supposed to assume since they had mini satellite bombs they were tech savy enough to do jet airliner maintenance.

I love it when people just doing their job, like the "nerdy internal affairs guy", get turned into villains because they're after Our Heroes who of course are above the law.  As soon as Patterson took one page out of the4 building, she was violating federal law and she knew it.  That's grounds for immediate termination if not a lengthy prison sentence.  But Mayfair just needs a couple of ad hominems -- attacking niag's career goals, not the crime he's investigating -- and he's the bad guy.  I Mayfair had wanted to make a special case for Patterson ("Yes, she did wrong, but we really need her here."), she could have done so without being a jerk about it.

I, for one, loved watching Patterson squirm, even though I knew nothing bad would happen to her.

The "More Blindspot" just made me hate this show more (my wife loves it, so I suffer in silence).  Why the f**k can't networks Close Caption these segments.  Do they think deaf and hard of hearing people magically get better during the commercial breaks????

• Love 6

Okay, show, it's nice that you got a sweet deal renting that MD-88 aircraft for this episode. However, there were a few technical things that made my eyes roll.

First of all, the maximum altitude of that aircraft is 37k feet. While it might be able to get a little higher than that for a short while, it's not going up to 60k feet. You want to get that high, you'll need something like an F-22 fighter jet.

I know you're thinking the F-22 is too small for everyone to be running around in the electronics bay and stuff, but the electronics bay of an actual MD-88 is like two feet tall. So you're either working with the Honey I Shrunk the Kids gun or some sort of TARDIS stuff.

Finally, that's convenient that the plane was right over the runway when they shut down the engines. Oh wait, no it's not, as airplane's don't glide straight down (when they do, we call that crashing).

• Love 3

I know you're thinking the F-22 is too small for everyone to be running around in the electronics bay and stuff, but the electronics bay of an actual MD-88 is like two feet tall. So you're either working with the Honey I Shrunk the Kids gun or some sort of TARDIS stuff.

If Kurt Russel can do it in a Nighthawk, I don't see why Scowly McScruff can't do it in an MD-88!

• Love 1

I totally understand why everyone hates this show but (for reasons I can't really understand myself) I still enjoy it. Like I realize it's boring (which is usually the #1 thing that makes me drop a show) and it's so joyless, but for some inexplicable reason I keep coming back.

Actually it's probably because of Patterson and Mayfair. I love them.

Also, the new hot guy is a welcome addition.

• Love 3

I love it when people just doing their job, like the "nerdy internal affairs guy", get turned into villains because they're after Our Heroes who of course are above the law.  As soon as Patterson took one page out of the4 building, she was violating federal law and she knew it.  That's grounds for immediate termination if not a lengthy prison sentence.  But Mayfair just needs a couple of ad hominems -- attacking niag's career goals, not the crime he's investigating -- and he's the bad guy.  I Mayfair had wanted to make a special case for Patterson ("Yes, she did wrong, but we really need her here."), she could have done so without being a jerk about it.

I, for one, loved watching Patterson squirm, even though I knew nothing bad would happen to her.

This is nothing but the ends justify the means. It shows they addressed the issue but didn't do anything about it. The only get out of jail free card MIGHT be the director had book boy followed(didn't that agent phone in the murder). Being this overly political time I thought this was written as a swipe or validation of the real life email /server at home scandal. But now the OPR guy will have to be eliminated somehow(was the director staring at his thermos or a glass) or he'll turn a blind eye too.

Not CCH Pounder.but Marianne Jean-Baptiste

Au contraire, Marianne Jean-Baptiste IS "Not CCH Pounder." That's just easier to spell than CCH Pounder's Doppelgänger, which this actress is. She should consider it a compliment as Not CCH Pounder is as fantastic as the I Am The Real CCH Pounder.

the plane landing scene

Hint to the continuity guy:  When the engines are shut off, it does no good to pull back on the throttle, as Kurt did shortly after they landed.  Only pressure on the rudder pedals will activate the brakes.  But what the hell.

The lat/long given was actually real/accurate, but there's no island out there.  So sez Google Earth, anyway.

I would think if you launched a plane of any size out over one of the most volatile areas in the world (Turkey/Russia/Ukraine/Chechnya all intersect nearby), transponder or no transponder, it would provoke an immediate response from one of the players, and it would not end well for the plane.  We saw how fast Turkey shot down a Russian jet a few months ago.  There's no way that plane is going to get to 60,000' before interception.

• Love 3

I was surprised to enjoy this episode as much as I did. In the fall I got in the habit of FFing most of the show, but I didn't feel the need to reach for my remote once here. Yes, a lot of the technical details were ridiculous, but what the hell. (Yes, that's the perfect motto for this show!)

A plot to hijack a plane takes a lot of planning and preparation (and this plot had the added wrinkle of needing to hide the plane somewhere), so Jane/Oliver's group knowing about it to tattoo her body in advance of the actual hijacking actually wasn't one of the ridiculous things in this episode, though. We're talking months, if not a year or more, leading up to the hijacking.

I love Patterson so much, and it's clear the show's writers know what they have with her. So of course I especially enjoyed all the Patterson bits. One agent smiling when Patterson made her geeky "pieces of pi" joke, the agents agreeing simultaneously that Patterson was the one to call, "In my head, where math is done!"...oh, and her being interested in the identity of the people behind all this not only because they killed her boyfriend, but because they tattooed Jane. In other words, not being totally focused only on herself. I can't wait to see her reaction when she finds out Jane was apparently the driver behind that decision.

I'm not into the Jane/Weller connection, but with her realizing she was engaged to Oliver, and choosing to meet him over Weller at the end of the episode, points to her pulling away more. And thanks to the show for the Taylor Shaw confirmation. There's no reason for her not to be Taylor Shaw. At least that's a name that has some sort of meaning, whereas if she found out her real name was something like "Alice Jones" who we don't know, that would mean nothing to viewers. Her real name is the least important mystery of the show, so if they've resolved it, so much the better.

• Love 1

This is nothing but the ends justify the means.

Yep.  What if Patterson was a serial killer?  Would it still be OK to keep her on?  If not, why not?

The lat/long given was actually real/accurate, but there's no island out there.  So sez Google Earth, anyway.

Like it's going to tell you!

• Love 2