Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The Next World

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

- after ditching Jesus off the roof, instead of leaving him like they had tried to do before, they ran after him to...accomplish what exactly? Why were they chasing him? Why did Rick leave the truck where he did?

When Darryl told Denise that Jesus was the reason they didn't have the pop I said No idiot, its dumbDarryl and dumberRick's fault. You all chased him instead of just carrying on after you dump him off the top of the truck.

I like Jesus and am looking forward to seeing more of him.

• Love 2

I only hope they play this right. I don't want constant PDA or change who they are because of this. I don't want mush. I want electricity. I don't want kisses. I want a meaningful look. I want them to get down to business and touch each other's hand, but just briefly. I want a connection. I want them to continue to be who they are and accept each other for exactly that.  They introduced this in a way I could never imagine. Let's hope they maintain it.

I'm picturing one of them at the door, readying to go out on their particular mission of the day,  and it's 'Hey. babe, be safe. Don't get bit' and a quick kiss whereas before it was "Hey, be safe. Don't get bit" and a low five (like in the beginning of the episode).

• Love 4

Now, here's where I'm having difficulty producing a gratifying fanwank....

How the fresh hell are they managing to take and print/develop photographs?

I appreciated the picture of Carl and Judith was to show us time had progressed....but...Okay, help me out, fellow PTV'ers.  

There's no internet, no WiFi, no cell phones, etc.  

Darkroom theories aside, cell phones exist; they just won't work as phones. Alexandria has electricity, so someone could conceivably use their iPhone to take pictures and offload them onto a computer, couldn't they? I don't believe the internet is required for that. Printers have photo paper too. Or, maybe someone tripped over one of those Polaroids which print the photo right away.

When Darryl told Denise that Jesus was the reason they didn't have the pop I said No idiot, its dumbDarryl and dumberRick's fault. You all chased him instead of just carrying on after you dump him off the top of the truck.

Actually, I think the orange Crush was a casualty before then. Rick and Daryl killed one between them and Daryl put the rest in his backpack. When he got slammed against the truck (when they ambushed Jesus after he'd fixed the tire), the others got smashed. I can't recall exactly when, but there was a brief scene of Daryl looking sadly at his soaked backpack due to the leaked Crush. So, the lost Crush is still on Daryl and Rick (IMO) but it wasn't due to the Benny Hill chase...

• Love 3

Which means what--that it doesn't happen? I'm confused; several people here have recounted that it does. I'm not from the South and I've heard it.

??? Okaa-ey. Well, I am recounting MY experience just as many others have done. That is what is meant--I(me, myself) have never encountered this particular occurrence.

I never stated that my experiences discounted those that differed. Nor are my statements criticizing anyone. No need for confusion.

• Love 1

There was no reason for someone to want Rick with Jessie.  He had literally just met her the day before, she hadn't done anything but be nice and be pretty - and she was married.  Other than watch Michonne walk away alot, Rick hadn't shown any interest toward any woman since Lori (two full seasons prior for viewers).  Suddenly Rick the pragmatist starts looking and acting as if he is dripping lust and we were all kind of like "Huh?".  Jessie wasn't especially compelling - or compelling AT ALL.  She was just a pretty blonde.  Now I'm sure there is a demographic that believes that this is all that is necessary, but most viewers of the sci fi/horror genre tend to be into character first, followed by looks.  And none of the ladies on this show are exactly what you'd call ugly.  If Rick had shown any sexual interest for any one of them at any given time, we'd get it.  But we'd need the story to drive it.  We'd need to see what it is about this one woman that was making her special to him.  Hell, if they had cast an actress who was a dead ringer for Lori and Rick flipped out, then THAT would have made sense too.  But Jessie walked in the room (with her husband, btw) and suddenly Rick was ready to kill for her.  If that isn't soap operatic, I don't know what is.  It looked and felt weird and it was a bit insulting in that it insinuated that the only thing to value in a woman is her looks - as if Rick was just waiting for a woman who was pretty enough because the others weren't.  We thought Rick was deeper than that and that the show was deeper than that.  I was disappointed in both.

There's plenty of reason not to like the development.  I didn't really care about it either way, because Rick was barely hanging on to his sanity at the time.  If he wanted to glom onto new fluffy Jessie for a minute, whatever.  I'm just talking about the OTT attacks on either Jessie or Rick depending on viewpoint.  Even for the actress.  To be clear, I'm not referring to just here, where the convo is usually pretty reasonable.  She was getting slammed on Twitter, etc.  She was nervous on Talking Dead.  It was just ridiculous.

Actually, I think the orange Crush was a casualty before then. Rick and Daryl killed one between them and Daryl put the rest in his backpack. When he got slammed against the truck (when they ambushed Jesus after he'd fixed the tire), the others got smashed. I can't recall exactly when, but there was a brief scene of Daryl looking sadly at his soaked backpack due to the leaked Crush. So, the lost Crush is still on Daryl and Rick (IMO) but it wasn't due to the Benny Hill chase...

He pulled the last can out of the leaking backpack and put it in the truck, which then went blub, blub, blub.  So that was the end of the Orange Crush and the pasta maker.

• Love 1

??? Okaa-ey. Well, I am recounting MY experience just as many others have done. That is what is meant--I(me, myself) have never encountered this particular occurrence.

I never stated that my experiences discounted those that differed. Nor are my statements criticizing anyone. No need for confusion.

It was the "um" (or whatever spelling was used); it reads as condescending (but we both know that already). If that was not your intention, I apologize (even though I never accused you of anything).

Edited by TattleTeeny

Them getting together at the end was just so.... perfect.  It was simply perfect. It wasn't a TV show's unrealistic portrayal of passion. It was real. It was organic. It was the difference between lust and love. The initial tentativeness, the testing, the confirmation, the laughing, the acceptance and just letting go.  Gah. Chills.  And this is why I don't think there was any negativity of Rick and Michonne together.  It wasn't forced, it was the opposite. It was beautiful.

I only hope they play this right. I don't want constant PDA or change who they are because of this. I don't want mush. I want electricity. I don't want kisses. I want a meaningful look. I want them to get down to business and touch each other's hand, but just briefly. I want a connection. I want them to continue to be who they are and accept each other for exactly that.  They introduced this in a way I could never imagine. Let's hope they maintain it.

So perfect. 

If you look back, though, you will perhaps see some meaningful looks and brief touches, and a connection. That's what the shippers already saw.  Danai was talking about the subtle ways Gimple was building this connection over seasons.  Apparently too subtle for much of the audience, haha. But that's what I love about it.  It makes it more intimate between them.  Anyway, I think that's the sort of relationship they have, and it will continue, just deeper now.  I hope.  :)

Edited by peach
  • Love 5

Random thoughts:

Coral's Hat - Awww man. All the hat bashing. I love the hat. It's filthy, it's old, but it's a callback to his childhood and his hero.  He's a man now, he's grown up too fast.  The hat is a great reminder that he's still a kid too. He needs the hat. I smile every time I see it.

Richonne - Apparently I'm clueless because I didn't get any sense that they were together in the beginning of the episode. As always, I just thought they'd lived together and were comfortable friends/roommates. It wasn't even a blip on my radar that it could be anything else.

Them getting together at the end was just so.... perfect.  It was simply perfect. It wasn't a TV show's unrealistic portrayal of passion. It was real. It was organic. It was the difference between lust and love. The initial tentativeness, the testing, the confirmation, the laughing, the acceptance and just letting go.  Gah. Chills.  And this is why I don't think there was any negativity of Rick and Michonne together.  It wasn't forced, it was the opposite. It was beautiful.

I only hope they play this right. I don't want constant PDA or change who they are because of this. I don't want mush. I want electricity. I don't want kisses. I want a meaningful look. I want them to get down to business and touch each other's hand, but just briefly. I want a connection. I want them to continue to be who they are and accept each other for exactly that.  They introduced this in a way I could never imagine. Let's hope they maintain it.

Overall - I'm always dismayed when I hear complaints about episodes like this being "boring."  We need this character development. We need to breathe in between the chaos. We need to feel again after devastation. I don't need big explosions and carnage every week. That's what is boring to me. I need a good story.  This one was amazing.

While I don't love the Hat, I will respect the Hat. Pretty sure it will kill me in my sleep if I don't.

I didn't get the sense that Rick and Michonne were together in the opening either. As far as I know, Michonne has always lived in the house with Rick, Carl, and Judith.

Judith and her solo cups will never not be adorable.

That end scene was so real, I almost felt like I shouldn't be watching. It had that spontaneity and slight awkwardness that first-time couplings tend to have.

I have a lot of hair on my head, though it's thinnish (lots of strands but they're not thick individually--if that even makes sense), and it's wildly wavy and has to be tamed.

I have a similar hair type. Individually thin hairs, but a metric fuckton of them. Stick-straight, though. Never managed anything more than a slight wave for more than an hour.

Does anyone happen to know exactly who lives in which house? Best I can come up with is:

House #1

Rick

Carl

Judith

Michonne

Morgan

Carol?

Daryl?

Noah (pre-evisceration)

House #2

Glenn

Maggie

Rosita

Sasha

Eugene

Abraham

Tara

Gabriel?

Y'all are killing me with all the food and drink references in this thread. I've got a nasty cold that has completely screwed my sense of taste. I haven't eaten in 4 days and I am so damn hungry.

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 4
I have a similar hair type. Individually thin hairs, but a metric fuckton of them. Stick-straight, though. Never managed anything more than a slight wave for more than an hour.

Man! I am jealous! With yours being a similar texture, I'm sure you can imagine what a bit of curl would behave like. Like your own personal hat made of unruly spiderwebs, that's what! But yes, metric fuckton is right--the amount that falls out daily is like the amount that's on a regular person's head! And yet, it's all still there...

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

Man! I am jealous! With yours being a similar texture, I'm sure you can imagine what a bit of curl would behave like. Like your own personal hat made of unruly spiderwebs, that's what! But yes, metric fuckton is right--the amount that falls out daily is like the amount that's on a regular person's head! And yet, it's all still there...

It's got to be one of those "grass is greener" situations. I'd give anything to have unruly spiderwebs. At least it would do something. My hair just plays dead.

• Love 1

I think it was catrox's happy reaction to Richonne, the other night, in the spoiler thread. As it happened on-screen, I was picturing catrox like this:

http://rs4.pbsrc.com...qdbcnr.gif~c200

HA! LOL not too far off. My reaction was pretty much on the scale of YNB.

ME: (Hand-holding).yeahhhh.../head nod

ME: (Longing stares) DO IT!!!! Kiss her, Rick, you better kiss her...YAS /victory arms

ME: (Richonne first kiss )Holy crap..../fanning self

ME(More passionate kissing) Okay this is way hotter than I even imagined...dayum. Whew....

ME: (Michonne giggling, Rick taking of his gun, smiling at her).../single perfect tear (not kidding I did cry. So happy)

ME: (Richonne..in bed, side by side, arms gently protecting each other) FUCK YEAH! THAT's WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.  YES!!! WOOOHOOOO!!! 3 LONG SEASONS!!! I AM REDEEMED!! WOOOOOO!!!"

• Love 6

It's got to be one of those "grass is greener" situations. I'd give anything to have unruly spiderwebs. At least it would do something. My hair just plays dead.

Grass, hay--depends on the day or the weather, haha! Humidity is not my friend.

Back to the show though (sorry!), does anyone here have Michonne's hair in real life? How is the typical shampooing done to a style that doesn't really allow for doing that plunge your fingers in and lather it up" routine? Also, that robe did not look like something Michonne would choose...not that there's too much up for grabs or anything. I myself might go for an old-man flannel version.

Michonne had a towel on her head in the morning like she'd washed her hair. But it looked filthy later on. I guess it's because it's dreads now instead of the sleek and pretty braids she started out with. I wish she'd chop that crap off. The actress is beautiful with her short hair.

I think the dreads are part of Michonne's signature look. Eugene has his mullet, Abraham has his handlebar mustache, Sasha has her gorgeous braided buns, and Michonne has her dreads. With that said, Danai can rock the short hair, my goodness.

I thought soft drinks being called "pop" was a Canadian thing. Daryl's confusion over it was adorable, although it wasn't as adorable as Daryl awkwardly shuffling away and waving his hands when Denise started going on about Tara, like "Spare me your lesbian shenanigans." (I don't think Daryl was being homophobic, just awkward about listening to relationship stuff.)

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 7

It was the "um" (or whatever spelling was used); it reads as condescending (but we both know that already). If that was not your intention, I apologize (even though I never accused you of anything).

What the....

I certainly do not 'know' that my wording was condescending because it was not. Once again, I was referring to my experiences . Wow. The end.

Does anyone happen to know exactly who lives in which house? Best I can come up with is:

House #1

Rick

Carl

Judith

Michonne

Morgan

Carol?

Daryl?

Noah (pre-evisceration)

House #2

Glenn

Maggie

Rosita

Sasha

Eugene

Abraham

Tara

Gabriel?

I'd guess it's immaterial now, but I think Noah was in Glenn and Maggie house. They had taken him under their wing.

Tara may be bunking with Denise now.

And I wonder if Gabriel stays in whichever building his church is in.

Some thoughts:

The writers can do comedy

The white bird feather is to Forrest Gump as the black sheriffs hat is to Carl. Which means life is like a cow pasture....You are always stepping in shit.

Let's face it, by now everyone in camp dinner bell is an adrenaline junkie. Two months without any real action, chasing Jesus around the country side was just the diversion those two needed. Having said that, if Rick and Michonne were in a sexual relationship at the time. Rick would have been, 'got her favorite toothpaste, time to head home for some Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuit sex.'

Edited by Watcher0363

ME: (Michonne giggling, Rick taking of his gun, smiling at her).../single perfect tear (not kidding I did cry. So happy)

Earlier there was some discussion of what Rick was whispering when he was awkwardly taking off his gun, and in my head!canon (lol) he says, "I'm just happy to see you."  ;D

• Love 9

Let's face it, by now everyone in camp dinner bell is an adrenaline junkie. Two months without any real action, chasing Jesus around the country side was just the diversion those two needed. x.'

Great point.  I think both sides felt confident the other wasn't a Claimer Joe type of baddie, so they all engaged in bit of counting coup. 

I loved the exchange at the gas station when Paul/Jesus asked if they had a camp, and Daryl's like, NOPE.  What about you?  NOPE.  lol

• Love 3

I'd guess it's immaterial now, but I think Noah was in Glenn and Maggie house. They had taken him under their wing.

Tara may be bunking with Denise now.

And I wonder if Gabriel stays in whichever building his church is in.

I wasn't sure about Noah. My only clue for him was that after he died, Michonne was looking at one of his shirts in a laundry basket when she was getting ready. I assumed each house has a washer and dryer, so that's why I put him in the first house. Gabriel was a wild guess. I know his church is in a garage, but didn't know if he was living in the same building. 

• Love 2

Daryl and Rick found a hidden truck all full of assorted supplies, now maybe the person who gleaned all that is long since dead, maybe they are coming back for it, maybe, it was gathered by Jesus himself or one of his group. In the ZA there has to be a certain element of finders-keepers and not being polite in a survival situation about what you don't know anyway. I tend to think stealing is a relative concept between them. Nobody needed to get killed over it and nobody did and we'll get more fun field-trips over it.

I think it was their first time but the storytelling was sloppy. At the beginning of the episode I inferred that Michonne walking around in a robe casually talking about toothpaste while Rick got dressed meant that they were a couple. I changed my mind later.

My reaction was different. I watched the domestic scene at the beginning and thought they clearly weren't together as a couple but they were a couple in every way save pairing off and having sex, so when they had the hand-holding moment that progressed to intimacy it finished what the opening started and was neatly done.

• Love 13

I wasn't sure about Noah. My only clue for him was that after he died, Michonne was looking at one of his shirts in a laundry basket when she was getting ready. I assumed each house has a washer and dryer, so that's why I put him in the first house. Gabriel was a wild guess. I know his church is in a garage, but didn't know if he was living in the same building. 

I'm only guessing with Gabriel, but based on his attitude of disgust and disapproval of the CDB group, I'm guessing he would have tried to find a separate space for himself. I'm interested to see how he'll interact with Jesus and anyone else from a new group now that he has at least embraced walker killer as a necessity.

Uumm, I 'grew up' in The South, and I have nevuh evuh heard of nor encountered anyone who has used the brandname slang, Coke, as an universal/common term for soft drinks. I'm familiar with utilizing the name of the drink-- Coke--ONLY when one is 'quaffing' Coca-Cola.

I'm Alabama born and raised, and I've never heard anything BUT using "Coke" to mean any soda/soft drink/pop/whatever else Yankees call Coke.

• Love 1

I wonder where Sasha, Abraham and Rosita are living since I have a hard time with the notion of them all remaining under the same roof with the current dynamics  between them. Awkward!

:::SIGH::: I think this deep into the weird world of teh ZA fewer people would be all hung up on monogamy (which is a bullshit patriarchal concept anyway....not to get all women's studies or anything) but yeah of course its a tv show so of course there will be stupid drama about Sasha / Abe / Rosita when it would just be so much cooler if it was Sasha + Abe + Rosita. LOL considering how many people lose their mind when Rick barely kisses Jessie (BUT SHE'S MARRIED!!! WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!) yeah people would burn this mother down if anything other than monogamy was shown as healthy and fulfilling.

• Love 4

Some blessed soul has set the chase scene to "Yakety Sax"

That end scene was so real, I almost felt like I shouldn't be watching. It had that spontaneity and slight awkwardness that first-time couplings tend to have.

At first, I felt uncomfortable with the scene and thought it was because I was so accustomed to the characters as platonic friends. Really, though, this nails why in retrospect--it felt to natural that it was almost voyeuristic, and that's why I wasn't comfortable. I guess that speaks to the acting of that scene, and the way the characters have been built up until now.

Honestly, I haven't loved the idea of pairing Rick and Michonne because I feel like hooking friends up in shows almost always ruins the characters. I'm just hoping this time I'm proven wrong, because I love MIchonne so very much.

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 4

Two months without any real action, chasing Jesus around the country side was just the diversion those two needed.

And this is what confuses me. Folks here have said that TTD claimed that two months have passed since the events of the last episode. However, I was paying close attention during the show in the hopes of getting clarification on exactly how much time had passed (due to the Carl/Judith pic and the Grimes Family v. 2.5 we got pre-credits).

Unless I misheard Daryl, he told Rick that they hadn't seen anybody "for weeks", so unless they did come across some random harmless soul (who wasn't a blip on the narrative radar) within those two months, I have trouble with that bit of dialogue. If two months have passed, wouldn't it have made more sense for Daryl to say that they hadn't come across anyone "in over a month" or "in a couple of months"?  Reducing it to weeks automatically makes me think that less than a month had passed.

Edited by NoWillToResist

I live in NC, and we have boiled peanuts here. Mostly it's fair food, but sometimes I make my own. And although lots of southerners do drink Coke,I had an aunt who always carried around a travel mug of diet Dr. Pepper.

Diet Dr. Pepper is my favorite Coke as well. :D

As a random note, why is Carl called Coral? It's funny, but I don't get it.

Because that's the way Rick pronounces "Carl".

Yup! I'm guessing in the earlier seasons (before AL had gotten fully acclimated to the speech coaching), his accent would sneak in and get in the way sometimes after a full hard day of shooting - and the way Americans enunciate the "a" sound in Carl is apparently not a common speech usage in Bath. :)

But again, DAMN, with a couple of kids in the house and friends who seem to come and go at will, why didn't they lock the bedroom door so that Jesus asshole couldn't just barge in?

Who's to say they didn't? ;) More below.

If Jesus can Houdini his way out of knots and climb onto the roof of a moving truck with no one noticing, I can't think a little ol' door lock would be an impediment. ;)

Beat me to it. Jesus has slipped his rope bonds - twice - broken OUT of what passes for the local jail, identified which house is Rick's, and (possibly, depending upon whether they lock their doors) broken INTO that house. So I sincerely doubt popping a bedroom door lock would be outside Jesus' skill set. Heck, I've done that, numerous times. When the kids were toddlers they'd hit the lock button, then Momma would freak until I got the door open again. Got pretty good at it, actually. :)

ETA: immediately after posting this, my own above comment got me to wondering... exactly how many houses did Jesus break into and check out before he found Rick's? For all we know, Jesus checked out every sleeping soul in Alexandria before making his way to the outermost house in town (Rick's). Hmmm.... :>

ME: (Longing stares) DO IT!!!! Kiss her, Rick, you better kiss her...YAS /victory arms

ME(More passionate kissing) Okay this is way hotter than I even imagined...dayum. Whew....

ME: (Richonne..in bed, side by side, arms gently protecting each other) FUCK YEAH! THAT's WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. YES!!! WOOOHOOOO!!! 3 LONG SEASONS!!! I AM REDEEMED!! WOOOOOO!!!"

Hope I'm not reaching here, but I'm getting a vague indication of general approval.... ;)

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 5

Still not caught up, but the Sunday Cable Ratings are in for "The Next World":

"The Walking Dead" stayed on top of Sunday's cable rankings, and stayed pretty much on par with its winter premiere. The show was down 0.2 in adults 18-49 week to week (6.8 vs. 6.6), a scant 3 percent decline.  Total viewers: 13.483 million.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/02/23/sunday-cable-ratings-feb-21-2016/

And here are the Live + Same Day Ratings for Season 6, so far:

10-11-15 “First Time Again” 14.633 million viewers
10-18-15 “JSS” 12.183 million viewers
10-25-15 “Thank You” 13.143 million viewers
11-01-15 “Here’s Not Here” 13.339 million viewers
11-08-15 “Now” 12.440 million viewers
11-15-15 “Always Accountable” 12.871 million viewers
11-22-15 “Heads Up” 13.224 million viewers
11-29-15 “Start to Finish” 13.981 million viewers

02-14-16 “No Way Out” 13.742 million viewers
02-21-16 “The Next World” 13.483 million viewers

Hope I'm not reaching here, but I'm getting a vague indication of general approval.... ;)

The poster's joy was very subtly alluded to, right? ;)

(just teasing you, catrox14)  It's so rare to get payoffs in one's favourite shows these days. I'm so happy that some people are overjoyed... :D

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 2

Unless I misheard Daryl, he told Rick that they hadn't seen anybody "for weeks", so unless they did come across some random harmless soul (who wasn't a blip on the narrative radar) within those two months, I have trouble with that bit of dialogue. If two months have passed, wouldn't it have made more sense for Daryl to say that they hadn't come across anyone "in over a month" or "in a couple of months"?  Reducing it to weeks automatically makes me think that less than a month had passed.

They probably spent that first month cleaning up the zombie-mess they left... and then only spent a few weeks on the road post clean-up. Just a guess, or possibly hand-wave. But baby AssKicker did look like she aged a couple of months, for sure.

• Love 1

But baby AssKicker did look like she aged a couple of months, for sure.

Oh, I'm rubbish at guessing ages of the young ones. Are they newborn? Six months? A year? Two? Hell if I can tell... ;)

I want to know why Spencer and Michonne didn't bring Deanna's body back to be buried in the community graveyard. I was actually kind of sad about that. Seemed like she deserved better than being buried in the forest. If Frick and Frack can frolic out there daily to read comics and be emo, it seems like there isn't enough danger to dissuade one from bringing her body back...

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 5

But baby AssKicker did look like she aged a couple of months, for sure.

Oh, I'm rubbish at guessing ages of the young ones. Are they newborn? Six months? A year? Two? Hell if I can tell... ;)

This is one of my biggest points of contention on this show. Even though the timelines on this show are skewed (putting it mildly) Judith is like 65 years old now collecting a pension and on her second knee replacement surgery and yet she's *just* learning how to turn over?!?? I mean I get it, the show isn't sure what the heck to do with a toddler, they're not exactly easy to direct and wouldn't be as easily handed around like a baby is. But COME ON! Coral's voice has dropped 8 octaves and he's practically Rick's height now and Judith still can't walk? And let's not even mention the fact that the kid is NEVER with her parents/family. This past episode was one of the first in weeks that Both Rick & Carl actually interacted with her. I know that the idea of a baby dying on this show is harsh, but I really think the writers are at a loss as to what to do with her. And now we have Maggie pregnant, and I have no doubt that she'll be gestating for 2 or 3 seasons if her baby grows at Judith's rate.  And with the way Michonne and & Rick will likely be going at it (while they still have a bed) Carl may be in for another sibling in the near future (I'm only semi-serious, the show really can't handle anymore babies)

Richonne was perfection, that is all. My throat is still sore from all the screaming I did on Sunday. I'm sure my neighbours think I was being murdered. With Joy.

• Love 5

I thought the chuckle about Judith on the baby monitor had to refer to learning to walk -because she was kind of stepping in her sleep - and Michonne said that she was "practicing in her sleep".

Otherwise, I agree that the writers don't know what to do with her, although I know that child labor laws might really limit Judith's appearances in scenes given all the other scheduling factors they deal with.

• Love 2
If you look back, though, you will perhaps see some meaningful looks and brief touches, and a connection. That's what the shippers already saw.  Danai was talking about the subtle ways Gimple was building this connection over seasons.  Apparently too subtle for much of the audience, haha.

This right here.  I saw the connection from the beginning, and when I dared to speak of it, I was dismissed, ridiculed, condescended to, called a "shipper" which I am not, lectured to about the difference between fiction and reality, lectured to about how the ultimate and most respected form of male/female interaction is a platonic friendship, and became embroiled in several deep, deep talks about race.  All because I saw what was actually written into the material and acted out by the actors.  I ended up retreating to Tumblr and unwittingly starting my own blog. LOL.  I don't know how to make Gifs so I started my blog so that I could reblog the posts that I liked for my own reference and amusement and could show my friends exactly what I was talking about when I referred to the chemistry between these two actors and how them as a couple should be endgame.  I looked up one day and realized I had about 80 followers.  LOL.  Vindication is nice, I guess, but mostly this has reinforced that I need to trust my own instincts, regardless of how much push back I get.  That it is indeed possible to be right when everybody else says you're wrong.

Also about Noah's sleeping arrangements.  I do think he ended up with Glenn and Maggie but one of my favorite brief moments of the show was when Rick was up in the middle of the night (and ended up talking to Michonne who was also up *cough*), and everybody was asleep on the floor, he pulled the blanket up over Carl, then he pulled the blanket up over Noah.  I thought that it showed the basic beauty inside of Rick, no matter how cray he can be, at his core he is a loving father and any child in his care is his kid.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 16

:::SIGH::: I think this deep into the weird world of teh ZA fewer people would be all hung up on monogamy (which is a bullshit patriarchal concept anyway....not to get all women's studies or anything) but yeah of course its a tv show so of course there will be stupid drama about Sasha / Abe / Rosita when it would just be so much cooler if it was Sasha + Abe + Rosita. LOL considering how many people lose their mind when Rick barely kisses Jessie (BUT SHE'S MARRIED!!! WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!) yeah people would burn this mother down if anything other than monogamy was shown as healthy and fulfilling.

Be that as it may and allowing for the likelihood that Abe and Rosita don't seem to have strong emotional ties to one another it would still be uncomfortable to live under one roof when there are other options no matter what ultimately happens.  It would be similarly uncomfortable if, say, Abe and Eugene were genuinely close friends rather than a couple of weirdos who tolerate each other and Abe had decided he'd rather spend the time he used to share with Eugene on Glenn.  As well as not wanting to be in the position of keeping secrets, Sasha's been fairly clear that she's not into the notion of sharing, so the scenario of the three of them having a casual fuck-buddy relationship has already been taken off the table.

Edited by yuggapukka

Great point.  I think both sides felt confident the other wasn't a Claimer Joe type of baddie, so they all engaged in bit of counting coup. 

I loved the exchange at the gas station when Paul/Jesus asked if they had a camp, and Daryl's like, NOPE.  What about you?  NOPE.  lol

That was hilarious!  The highlight of the night for me was when Rick asked if they should bring him back and Daryl was all "Are you kidding he calls himself Jesus."  lol

• Love 4

No mystery; it's Aaron.

Aaron took and developed the ASZ photos he showed potential recruits, remember?

The same photos which led the Wolves to Alexandria, BTW.

Coke kicks Pepsi's ass with salted peanuts; never tried it with boiled peanuts, though. That an Alabama thing? :>

For me, South Georgia/Florida Panhandle. Many chain gas stations (Tom Thumb, 7-11 type) even have them inside to buy, often in warm pots that look like small cauldrons. The very best place to get them are from random pick-up trucks on the side of the road or produce stands (just like you would peaches).

Aspirin used to be a  brand name and then it became vernacular. Coke is just omnipresent in the south. 

I figured there's gotta be someone old school but like the magic gasoline and everything else that hasn't gone bad I don't know how they still have chemicals to develop them old school.

I think there was a thing with putting salted peanuts in your coke but I don't know bout that. boiled peanuts are nasty. ooky, yucky, blech blech. but as a truly white trash southerner I can pair my coke with food, not so much wine. And a very nice sharp cheddar, like super sharp, goes very well with a nice co-cola. If you can get the mexican ones still in the glass bottle (made with sugar not corn syrup) even better. 

And I was never brave enough to try Laverne and Shirley's "milk n pepsi" gag!

Salted peanuts go in orange soda, Coke if you have to. Being misplaced in Colorado, I'll happily take any ooky boiled peanuts you come across :)

• Love 1

There was no reason for someone to want Rick with Jessie.  He had literally just met her the day before, she hadn't done anything but be nice and be pretty - and she was married.  Other than watch Michonne walk away alot, Rick hadn't shown any interest toward any woman since Lori (two full seasons prior for viewers).  Suddenly Rick the pragmatist starts looking and acting as if he is dripping lust and we were all kind of like "Huh?".  Jessie wasn't especially compelling - or compelling AT ALL.  She was just a pretty blonde.  Now I'm sure there is a demographic that believes that this is all that is necessary, but most viewers of the sci fi/horror genre tend to be into character first, followed by looks.  And none of the ladies on this show are exactly what you'd call ugly.  If Rick had shown any sexual interest for any one of them at any given time, we'd get it.  But we'd need the story to drive it.  We'd need to see what it is about this one woman that was making her special to him.  Hell, if they had cast an actress who was a dead ringer for Lori and Rick flipped out, then THAT would have made sense too.  But Jessie walked in the room (with her husband, btw) and suddenly Rick was ready to kill for her.  If that isn't soap operatic, I don't know what is.  It looked and felt weird and it was a bit insulting in that it insinuated that the only thing to value in a woman is her looks - as if Rick was just waiting for a woman who was pretty enough because the others weren't.  We thought Rick was deeper than that and that the show was deeper than that.  I was disappointed in both.

I think the only thing that really bothered me about it is that it felt to me like it was presented as being more than a mutual stress-release hookup when there was nothing to back it up as being more.

But I love those dreads so much. 

I love her look, too.  Now, I know absolutely NOTHING about styling hair that texture or about dreads.  I actually found the appearance of her hair in this episode a little jarring, because the dreads looked kind of ratty to me, when we'd just seen her looking shiny clean that morning.   It seemed at odds. So- can dreads be, I don't know.... tidied up... now that she's got the opportunity?  Is that something she can do herself, or would she need help of someone knowledgeable about that style and her hair type?  Or are dreads the sort of thing that once you've committed to them, they're done deal, and the only way of changing it up is to cut them off?  Me: ignorant.  (Also: her hairpiece looked to far back several times this ep.)

- after ditching Jesus off the roof, instead of leaving him like they had tried to do before, they ran after him to...accomplish what exactly? Why were they chasing him? Why did Rick leave the truck where he did?

I thought Daryl was just having a tantrum.  This mouthy dude had best them in the stupidest ways, and he wasn't going to take it anymore.  Jumping out of the truck was the act of a dirty, muscular... toddler.  (That's probably how he handles baths, too. Noooooooooo, I don't WANT to take a baaaaaath!)

He said that, but it didn't strike me as inconsistent.  They may have seen people that they decided they didn't want anything to do with.  

Edited by Bad Example
  • Love 1

Also, am I just tired and grumpy, or is anyone else sick of the constant waffling on taking people in?

We need to save people. Nah, let him die. Let's help these guys. No, we can't trust anyone. Oh nevermind, let's start recruiting people. Fuck that, we have enough people.

MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MINDS.

God yes- this 'moral quandary' has been milked for YEARS with characters switching sides as suits, I can't believe they're still rehashing it. Also whoever posted the Big Lebowski video, yes! Every time Jesus outwitted them I thought "don't fuck with the Jesus!"
Beat me to it. Jesus has slipped his rope bonds - twice - broken OUT of what passes for the local jail, identified which house is Rick's, and (possibly, depending upon whether they lock their doors) broken INTO that house. So I sincerely doubt popping a bedroom door lock would be outside Jesus' skill set. Heck, I've done that, numerous times. When the kids were toddlers they'd hit the lock button, then Momma would freak until I got the door open again. Got pretty good at it, actually.

After G'Day Wolf and Jesus broke out of that house, they need to build a proper jail.  Morgan can do something useful for a change and build it since he spent so much time with Eastman.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest and we say "pop" up here too.  Daryl would be utterly baffled by us.

Here's a map for fun:  http://popvssoda.com/

• Love 2
I thought Daryl was just having a tantrum.  This mouthy dude had best them in the stupidest ways, and he wasn't going to take it anymore.  Jumping out of the truck was the act of a dirty, muscular... toddler.  (That's probably how he handles baths, too. Noooooooooo, I don't WANT to take a baaaaaath!)

On alternating days they are going to have to put a naked woman, a naked man, a bottle of moonshine, some gears for a motorcycle, or Judith in a cute little frilly suit and her solo cups and find out which one gets him to stay put in the bathtub long enough to clean him off.  Toddlers love having something to play with in the tub.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 3

ME: (Richonne..in bed, side by side, arms gently protecting each other) FUCK YEAH! THAT's WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.  YES!!! WOOOHOOOO!!! 3 LONG SEASONS!!! I AM REDEEMED!! WOOOOOO!!!"

Ha.  At least you got to do 'Whew' and Victory Arms.  The whole time my reactions was...

Wait.

Is this happening?

This is happening!

Is this happening?

My goodness, I think this is happening!

They are still kissing.  I guess this is really happening.

OMG, they are in bed. Naked.  It happened!!

• Love 11