Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

I guess I'm in the minority's, but I think Mika does a good job of anchoring when Joe is gone.  Much better than when he is there.  

The producers probably like it when she hosts. I notice the segments break more regularly for commercials without Joe..the first set of the day usually goes to 6:25 when Joe is there to bloviate, then the subsequent segments are cut short to fit in commercials. Mika wrapped up the first seg around 6:18 and the rest of the hour's segments were more evenly spaced.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Lanyards are the plastic work ID holders that people wear around their necks. They're especially prominent in DC, as their wearers place great import and pride on who they work for. The term lanyard-worshipper has become shorthand in Twitter and the blogosphere for people in politics who value process and institutions over substance, and who base a person's worth on who is in their reporting chain. 

I've got to stick up for all of us lanyard wearers.  Believe it or not, many (most?) of us working in DC aren't connected with politics.  We wear them to hold our security badges, which you need in just about every office building these days.

• Love 4

I've got to stick up for all of us lanyard wearers.  Believe it or not, many (most?) of us working in DC aren't connected with politics.  We wear them to hold our security badges, which you need in just about every office building these days.

Yeah it's a figure of speech. And  it has nothing to do with those who wear lanyards, it is just some gentle mockery of people who care more about what the lanyard stands for (access, status, institution) than the person wearing it. Like how Obama's former press secretary Jen Psaki tweeted her congratulations to Sarah Huckabee last week for getting the press secretary job; to Psaki, the press secretary job is more important than the fact that Huckabee is a bag of shit.  

I only brought it up because this show has that tendency sometimes, and today it seemed pretty en fuego.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

We have these badges in Canada as well. People  have to show the badges to enter government buildings 7 access the elevator. You also need a badge to access specific floors of a government building.

• Love 1

How many times did Michael Moore have to tell the interviewer (came in late, don't know who this guy is) that the reason Dems can't win is because they have the wrong people running?

About 7:15, Mika's making cringey-faces while a clip of KAC from Faux News is on. At first I'm confused, not really paying attention, I thought KAC was on MJ live, and I knew that she (and Paris Hilton) had been banned a long time ago.  So KAC is wearing a neon lime sleeveless dress and 5 minutes earlier I saw that same dress, albeit slightly less neon, on a talking bobblehead on Faux News. Weird.

• Love 1

Did Woodward have a stroke or something? He e-nun-ci-ates every word as if he's speaking a foreign language phonetically.

Could you imagine having to listen to a conversation between him and that half-wit Susan Collins? Hell on earth.

1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

Could you imagine having to listen to a conversation between him and that half-wit Susan Collins? Hell on earth.

Half-wit Susan Collins just saved my healthcare for the time being.   She can whisper in my ear all day long.

• Love 21

The people who crowded town halls, raised hell, and got arrested at the Capitol saved your health care. Susan Collins is so stupid she thinks Black Lives Matter is a Putin operation.

I can't stand Susan Collins' voice, but she did the right thing, which her comrades were too weak to do, so I admire her for that.   The people protesting didn't save the bill, they didn't have a vote, just like the stupid electoral college is all that matters in the pres election.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

About 7:15, Mika's making cringey-faces while a clip of KAC from Faux News is on. At first I'm confused, not really paying attention, I thought KAC was on MJ live, and I knew that she (and Paris Hilton) had been banned a long time ago.  So KAC is wearing a neon lime sleeveless dress and 5 minutes earlier I saw that same dress, albeit slightly less neon, on a talking bobblehead on Faux News. Weird.

I see this as hypocrisy.   And unfair.   Not defending KAC but the principle.   You can't ban the woman from appearing on your show, then run clips of her on other shows and snark on it when KAC has no opportunity to respond.   It would be different if Mika hadn't made a big public stink about not wanting KAC on the show, but she did.   

• Love 6
1 hour ago, millennium said:

I see this as hypocrisy.   And unfair.   Not defending KAC but the principle.   You can't ban the woman from appearing on your show, then run clips of her on other shows and snark on it when KAC has no opportunity to respond.   It would be different if Mika hadn't made a big public stink about not wanting KAC on the show, but she did.   

I agree. Mika loves the role of being a "Mean Girl". Mika was very friendly with KAC prior to the election. After her fight with KAC, she stated that KAC told her "off the record" felt like vomitting when she had to defend Trump. That was a private conversation which Mika should have kept quiet about. There are rules about "on the record" & "off the record" conversations.

I do find it annoying when "friends of the show" get to pick which topics they want to discuss. Senator Mancin never had to defend his daughter's Epipen price gouging. Ratner never gets questioned about being involved in the NY State Pension kickback scandal & having to pay $6M to settle the case.

• Love 3

Late Monday Recap: The show began with a musical interlude of "What a week". Is this a real song?

Mika tried a new hashtag of #WoefulWekend" since she was excited about her #FridayFailure hashtag.

Mika was wearing her navy blue top & Joe was wearing a navy blue blazer with a red polo shirt. Mr Nantucket is back!.

Mika was happy to have Joe back. Joe insulted Mika within 10 minutes of the show when she tried to repeat Peggy Noonan's comments about Trump making Hollow Limp accusations. Joe told her to stop channelling Peggy Noonan. Mika was sad.

Ignatius said trump has done nothing in 6 months.

Joe said no one is afraid of Trump.

Joe bragged that when he was in Congress, a general from the BRAC Commission ( Base Relocation Program) lied to him & Joe called him out. Joe voted against the General's wishes. He told the panel that you can't lie to the Congress.

Joe said he tells Mika every night about the times when he was in Congress. Mika beamed at him. I think it's a kind of foreplay between Joe & Mika.

The US is more unpopular in the world. Only 49% support the USA down from 64% when Obama was in power. Who did they survey?

Joe said that Trump has no friends in the GOP because he was a lifelong Democrat who gave to Shumer. Joe said Trump should not have called Shumer a clown.

Josh Earnest said Trump had a chance in January to reach out to Democrats.

Joe wants Trump to stop going to long interviews & stop tweeting.His interviews are too wide arranging & he goes off script.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Probably not fair to criticize Susan Collins' voice. She's afflicted with the same condition as Robert Kennedy, Jr. and Diane Rehm

spasmodic dysphonia

I admire her for not letting that prevent her from speaking out. 

Her mother had the same affliction. I know it's tedious to listen to her talk but she is a very good senator and votes with her conscience and did not follow the other Republicans by getting in line with what Trump wants. Joe and Mika do not follow Trump blindly anymore. We all know how hateful and vindictive he can be. I hope the states of Maine, Alaska and Arizona aren't hurt by his need to get back at those people he thinks have disappointed him.

• Love 7

Ratner never gets questioned about being involved in the NY State Pension kickback scandal & having to pay $6M to settle the case.

Really?  He should've made a chart on the pension plan and maybe that wouldn't have happened.

Mika was very friendly with KAC prior to the election

That's for sure.  In the beginning (Trump Genesis 1:1) both she and Joe said they knew her and she was  a good egg, or very effective, something of the like.  I only watch CNN or MSNBC so I never see her anymore.  Is she ONLY on Faux News or does ABC and the like let her spew her filthy lies there?

• Love 1

The panel has nothing but praise for General Kelly. But I have to question why he would check his self respect at the door.

Gordon Chang is a bit off. He pretty much thinks trump is a genius regarding his trying to show China he's the boss. Yeah that's worked out. I think the Chinese think he's a baffoon.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Late Monday Recap: The show began with a musical interlude of "What a week". Is this a real song?

The opening song was one of Joe's songs - "Welcome To The Monkey house". I have to admit, I kind of like it.

Joe said he tells Mika every night about the times when he was in Congress. Mika beamed at him. I think it's a kind of foreplay between Joe & Mika.

Joe tells Congress stories, and Mika pulls on Joe's hair.

Edited by cased
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Really?  He should've made a chart on the pension plan and maybe that wouldn't have happened.

That's for sure.  In the beginning (Trump Genesis 1:1) both she and Joe said they knew her and she was  a good egg, or very effective, something of the like.  I only watch CNN or MSNBC so I never see her anymore.  Is she ONLY on Faux News or does ABC and the like let her spew her filthy lies there?

KAC is on CNN & Fox.

I like Ratner but this show has a tendency to let their "friends" escape criticism.

i wonder why Joe still refuses to release his text messages to Kushner after the facelift fiasco

• Love 1

OMG, Trump is president AND I liked one of Joe's songs?? What's next? Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

both she and Joe said they knew her and she was  a good egg, or very effective, something of the like.

I remember them saying that and I remember thinking at the time, "Oh, she's just an out of work pro caught having said yes to a shitty job and trying her best."   Yeah, that was wrong.  She's clearly rancid trash.  When she was first on the show for Trump, off camera she said to them something like, "Anything for a buck," or something similar.  I think she said something more vulgar and cynical but I'm not going to work hard enough to remember.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Landsnark said:

I remember them saying that and I remember thinking at the time, "Oh, she's just an out of work pro caught having said yes to a shitty job and trying her best."   Yeah, that was wrong.  She's clearly rancid trash.  When she was first on the show for Trump, off camera she said to them something like, "Anything for a buck," or something similar.  I think she said something more vulgar and cynical but I'm not going to work hard enough to remember.

I realize that it is good timing for Mika & Joe to mock KAC now for being a hack  who is now part of the Trump administration. However, this show has dealt with hacks since 2007. Mika & Joe welcomed KAC on the set before, during & after the election. I am sure that KAC helped Joe get scoops during the transition.

This is a show that still has a well known plagiarist like Barnicle on the panel & Meecham who helped bankrupt the Newsweek magazine.

• Love 1

Tuesday recap: Bash Ivanka & Jared Day on Morning Joe. Mika is wearing a lovely turqoise sweater. Elise is wearing Mika's navy sleeveless dress. Joe is off today. Willie is back. The show began with a sitcom theme of characters on the trump Tv show. It ended with the theme from the Facts of Life.

Elise went after Ivanka for their sterling political judgement in recommending Scaramucchi as Communications Director.

Elise is furious that Ivanka tweeted that she will work alongside Kelly. She should report to Kelly.

Eugene said it was foolish to believe that Ivanka & Jared could tame Trump. Why is Trump against the Trangenders now?

Did anyone on the set realize that Mika & Joe were Ivanka & Jared's number 1 supporters till March 2017?

Jared used Joe to bash Bannon & Miller. Mika had special meetings with Ivanka at Trump tower.

Perhaps Mika & Joe were naive to fall for the cool kids?

The panel is mad at Trump for writing the memo on the Russian adoptions meeting with his son.

Trump screwed up.

The panel is mad at Trump for not bashing the Russians over the Diplomats being kicked out of Russia.

Trump can't stop the sanctions against the USA.

Sam Stein is worried about several jobs being vacant in the Trump administration. Where are the Deputy Undersecretaries?

The panel is excited that Jeff Flake admitted that it was wrong to make Obama a 1 term President. They should work with Obama.

Trump wants to primary Flake.

Mika is freaking out about Trump writing a memo to protect Jared & Don Jr.

Hope hicks tried to be transparent.

Sam Stein said Democrats can't work with Trump because he is poison.

Look who's back. Steve" Hillary will get 400 EV" Schmidt.

This character thought it would be a great idea to have Sarah Palin as VP.

Barnicle wants to know why Trump is afraid of Russia.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, oakville said:

You owe me a new monitor, oakville!

Did anyone mention where Joe is this morning? My guess? He was summoned to the White House to advise General Kelly. (Where's that sarcasm font again?)

• Love 3

Mika is on FI-YAH today, against Ivanka.  Wow, it was blistering, in a Nantucket-South of France-former Government Bigwig's Daughter kinda way.

Sam Stein calls Trump's administration "hamfisted."  BEST phrasing to describe it I've heard yet.

Jeff Flake seems to be positioning himself to run for the next Presidential election.  Anyone agree? 

18 HOURS AGO, WHINEANDCHEEZ SAID:

both she and Joe said they knew her and she was  a good egg, or very effective, something of the like.

I gotta say something about Sara Huckabee Sanders.  I kinda like her.  She is so dry and deadpan and emotionless and humorless.  It's a nice contrast to this fakakta administration.  I also like that she is average looking and an average American woman size 14.  She's not a bleached blonde scarecrow like KAC and 95% of the bobbleheads on Faux News. Her blatant lying is more palatable then the other folks in the Admin's blatant lying.

• Love 6

Having to listen to Sen. Flake flog his rip-off book with rationalizations and excuses and outright lies about Twitler once was too much.  Taking on his own party, Mika?  For reals?  Talk about spinning for a Republican.  

Re: his possible presidential hopes, I think Sen. Flake is a glob of meh.   He has no charisma, no spark.  He's handsome, but in a sort of Scott Brown/Ken Doll kind of way.  

• Love 4

I missed the show last 715 am. I will catch up with it later tonight. I wonder if someone from the GOP will challenge Trump in 2020? Did Flake say he would run against Trump?

I think there's a good chance that someone from the GOP will challenge Trump. I also think that someone could run as an Independent. Maybe Joe????

• Love 1

When Flake said he and Pence showed up to Congress and thought they were the Minutemen there to do the great battle, but then they got stuck with No Child Left Behind and prescription drug costs, I lost it.

Education and health care costs oversight is part of your jobs .  You and Pence and your grand schemes for imposing your conservative bullshit on the country?  You two couldn't find your asses with both hands and a mirror.  

You don't get points for writing in your shitty book that the GOP sold its soul to the Freedom Caucus out of fear, and to Trump because he would sign your shit legislation.  You voted to repeal the ACA.  Sell that to your constituents. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Trump wants to primary Flake.

Yeah, and he has for a while. Trump's still pissed that Flake called for him to pull out during the Access  Hollywood tape. That sort of explains Flake's book. But it didn't stop Flake from positively using Trump in fundraising letters back in the day. What a venal bunch of cowards. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Kenz said:

You are being awfully harsh. She had the guts to speak up and vote her conscience. I wish there were more Republicans like her and Senator Murkowski. Senator Collins is not ugly and she certainly isn't a hag.

Thank you!  ❤️

• Love 10

Dad was MIA all of last week and every day Mom said "Joe has the morning off." This week he showed up yesterday but is off again today, so he's 1 for 7. I'm not getting what I'm paying for and I want to know why.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, suomi said:

Dad was MIA all of last week and every day Mom said "Joe has the morning off." This week he showed up yesterday but is off again today, so he's 1 for 7. I'm not getting what I'm paying for and I want to know why.

I'm pretty sure that Joe worked a couple of days last week from an undisclosed bunker. Joe posted on Twitter this morning that he took his son to see the Red Sox last night, so maybe he'll be back tomorrow. 

But it does bug me when they keep saying "Joe/Mika has the morning off" day after day. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, suomi said:

Chris Matthews, Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddow have been off a lot recently.  I wish they scattered vacations more, but only so many weeks in a summer with kids.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Jeff Flake seems to be positioning himself to run for the next Presidential election.  Anyone agree? 

I do! I do! Unfortunately, he is a comparatively reasonable Republican, so he's doomed.

56 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Jeff Flake votes with Trump 95% of the time.

re: Flake's appearance on the show.   I think Flake is trying to buy himself some plausible deniability when election time rolls around.   He wants to show the Trumpists that he supports his President and party while at the same time posturing as an "honorable" conservative in the eyes of everybody else.

A hooker with a heart of gold.

• Love 10
On 7/31/2017 at 11:01 AM, cinsays said:

she did the right thing, which her comrades were too weak to do, so I admire her for that.   The people protesting didn't save the bill, they didn't have a vote, just like the stupid electoral college is all that matters in the pres election.

So much truth.  Has Susan Collins ever been on MJ? 

Her speech pattern is due to a physical affliction, so I give her a pass on that.  It doesn't bother me.  She's one of the very few Repubs I can tolerate (dare I even say like?) and that includes the ones in my own family.

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 3

8/2/2017 - Looks like everyone on the panel got the "Blue!" memo.  And the lovebirds are wearing matching baby blue shirts.  How adorable.  If Meek-a throws on a charcoal gray sweater over hers I might spit up a little.  Seriously, why do they do this every stinking day?  I realize Meek-a is clueless about what's in / out but have couples wearing matching duds ever been in??

• Love 3