Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Joe fixed the loop in his hair at 641 am but a new part emerged over his right eye.

Costa said that the GOP leaders feel that Trump's base is still strong + the media has no capital due to it constant attacks on Trump, so they won't abandon Trump yet.

Joe admitted that his brand of Conservatism will only get 38% of the vote. They need populism to get to 50%.

Costa said that Portman of Ohio was smart by focusing on getting money for opiods but not engaging in trashing Trump every day.

• Love 1

Every time I hear "Midwesterners think (insert ass-backwards assumption)" or "women think..."or "Black people think..." I want to pull my hair out

This is a huuuuuge pet peeve of mine, especially when it's "Real Americans think..." as if anyone who disagrees isn't a real American. 

• Love 3

Joe was proud of his column. He said that Buckley or Reagan would not recognize the GOP. Joe bashed W Bush for a utopian version of foreign policy. Joe said W caused deficits to rise. Joe forgot about 9/11 causing a change in foreign policy.

Costa called Trump a Pat Buchanan republican. He called Trump a populist.

Kasie ! had a WTF moment when Mika said that she told Joe & Robert that they were in great physical shape!. Mika was trying to make fun of Trump for complementing Brigitte Macron for being in good shape in Paris.

Mika said that Trump was not politically correct when he make the comments. Kasie said Trump survived the Access Hollywood tape so anything is possible.

• Love 1

Mika derailed the discussion by repeating her Trump joke about Brigitte being in great shape.

They showed 7 screens of people being speechless as how to respond to Mika's joke.

Joe got fed up with Mika because there was a 47 second delay with awkward silences.

Joe called Bob Costa a punk!

Kasie ! tilted her head & smiled . Elise laughed as well.

• Love 1

Mika tried her "looking great" joke on Peter Alexander. He was caught off guard & said to save the comments about his looks till later.

That was embarrassing on several levels.  

Joe is in the bunker recovering from a windstorm.

The bunker is a cable access studio in Nantucket.  I was reading something totally different yesterday and an article about JoMika's love of Nantucket was on the same site. 

• Love 5

Peter Alexander was excited about his scoop that the Secret Service did not screen the guests to the Trump Tower Russian Spy meeting. Jr was not a secret service protectee but his dad was. Peter acknowledged that there was other security measures at Trump Tower.

1 minute ago, teddysmom said:

That was embarrassing on several levels.  

The bunker is a cable access studio in Nantucket.  I was reading something totally different yesterday and an article about JoMika's love of Nantucket was on the same site. 

I think there are  2 bunkers , one in Nantucket called the "Summer Bunker" & the "main Bunker in New Canaan Connecticut.

I wonder if Mika is in the NBC Boston studio. Why can't she broadcast from the Nantucket bunker?

• Love 1

Brokaw wants to know about North Korea. Who should the Chinese talk to? Trump? Mattis? Tillerson.

Brokaw said that no one in Montana asked him about Russia. Brokaw has a huge ranch in Montana. They were worried about the drought.

• Love 1

I think Mika is in London.  Looks like the same studio that Katty Kay reports from sometimes.  And some of the still photos they showed at breaks were London.  

(I am a longtime lurker coming out of the shadows.)

• Love 4

Julia Ioffe from the Atlantic came on to talk about the Russian real estate attorney who met with Trump Jr. She was born in Russia so pronounced the Russian names with ease. She is infamous for her tweet last December about President elect Trump fu..ing, Ivanka when Melania wasn't at the White House.  Her employer at the time , Politico asked her to delete the tweet.

• Love 1

I tuned out after the first hour but I really wanted to hear the "it's secret services fault" story line.  Oakville (or someone?).

It's amazing how many people get blamed for this horseshit and the trump's don't have to be held accountable, at least up to this point.

• Love 3

At 7 37 am, Joe's hair developed 2 new parts. The hair on the left part rose another inch. They should turn off the fans in the bunker.

2 minutes ago, stormy said:

I tuned out after the first hour but I really wanted to hear the "it's secret services fault" story line.  Oakville (or someone?).

It's amazing how many people get blamed for this horseshit and the trump's don't have to be held accountable, at least up to this point.

It was Trump's lawyer Sekulow who said the meeting was OK because the secret service vetted the Russia Spies & entourage because the meeting was at Trump Tower.. The secret service issued a statement saying they did not vet them. However, because the meeting was at Trump Tower, they were not allowed to carry weapons into the meeting according to Peter "don't compliment my looks" Alexander.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, oakville said:

Brokaw said that no one in Montana asked him about Russia. Brokaw has a huge ranch in Montana. They were worried about the drought.

So what, Tom?  The majority of people in Montana VOTED FOR TRUMP!!  Did Tom hold a town hall and determine no one wanted to discuss it?  I'm sure the only people he comes in contact with are the employees on his ranch and the guy that drives him to go fly fishing. 

This BS "Trump supporters still back Trump" is akin to "Meth addicts still back Meth". 

FFS Nixon still had 20% of Republicans even as he was leaving office. 

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

So what, Tom?  The majority of people in Montana VOTED FOR TRUMP!!  Did Tom hold a town hall and determine no one wanted to discuss it?  I'm sure the only people he comes in contact with are the employees on his ranch and the guy that drives him to go fly fishing. 

This BS "Trump supporters still back Trump" is akin to "Meth addicts still back Meth". 

FFS Nixon still had 20% of Republicans even as he was leaving office. 

I think Brokaw & others like to report that they speak with "average Americans in the HeartLand". They don't want to be seen as out of touch with the electorate as they were last year.

The stereotyping of midwest voters is ridiculous. The morning joe panel seems to forget that PA,Mich,& Wis went very narrowly for Trump.

• Love 2

He said that Buckley or Reagan would not recognize the GOP.

Ugh. This overly romantic view of the GOP - or frankly any political party - has got to go. William F. Buckley was an opponent of the civil rights movement. Reagan wasn't much better. And what of Nixon? What of Jim Kolbe being "prayed at" during the 2000 RNC because he was gay? And I can citr just as many examples of losers on the other side of the aisle. Bottom line - Trump didn't just appear in a turnip patch. The GOP created the correct environment for someone like him to thrive. Just look at Palin 8 years earlier.

To paraphrase George Carlin - political parties are just subsets of the general population - some winners, whole lot of losers.

I almost choked on Joe touting Jamie Dimon as a "man who speaks his mind." Nobody from Wall Street should be touted as a hero given what that industry has done to this country.

• Love 9
23 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Welcome!!  Are you staying downtown or up on the north side? (Two major hotel locations). If you get a chance, hit St Elmo's STeak house, (epi of Parks & Rec filmed there)  Bazbeaux Pizza on Mass Ave, and anything down around Fountain Square.  

We're actually staying in Bloomington (the client is just outside of town) and I had fun yesterday exploring the IU campus and geeking out over places featured in one of my all time favorite movies "Breaking Away." 

Now back to your regularly scheduled MJ bashing.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, stormy said:

^^^ yes and I live in MN which used to be reliably blue and has become a purple state.

Hillary barely eeked out a win.

Agreed!. The morning joe panel doesn't seem to remember that Minnesota, NH & Maine almost went for Trump. It's so ridiculous to stereotype states. The panel doesn't  remember that Texas & Georgia were "bluer" in 2016 than 2012.

Joe Turley the Debbie Downer of Constitutional Lawyers came on to blame Trump for nepotism by putting his family members in key positions . You can't fire them. Turley blamed Bill Clinton for putting Hillary in charge of his health care reform. It failed & Clinton couldn't fire her. It was a dumb move. Turley said that Trump got rid of Flynn & Manafort when they became involved with Russians. He can't get rid of Jared or Donald Trump Jr. 

Did Turley change his hair color? It seems darker than usual.

3 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

We're actually staying in Bloomington (the client is just outside of town) and I had fun yesterday exploring the IU campus and geeking out over places featured in one of my all time favorite movies "Breaking Away." 

I wrote an extra long recap for you today ! It's a bit hairy:)

• Love 2

Brokaw did say that his fellow Montanans were getting tired of Trump tweeting about his family or his latest hurt feelings when there are more important things he should be thinking about and trying to accomplish. Oh how I hope at least some R's are losing their devotion to their idol. The Indies are falling away, ever so slowly, and the D's 11% approval is funny. Who are those 11% - ancient Dixiecrats who didn't notice all the other southern Dems had finally switched over to Goldwater's party?

• Love 2

He can't get rid of Jared or Donald Trump Jr. 

Yes he can. He can tell Kushner he doesn't want him running every commission, taskforce, and foreign policy negotiations in his White House anymore, and he should go home and take the wife with him. He can also tell Junior to butt out, go home, and run the company and leave politics and policy to his father. Ha!... As if!

• Love 9

Cool!  Have fun!!

I slept in and missed it today. I'm so sorry I missed the evolving hair situation.  Oakville your recaps are invaluable. Can't get that kind of detail and entertainment from web clips!!!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/17/2017 at 6:49 AM, teddysmom said:

So they all voted for the guy that doesn't believe in climate change? Fuck 'em.

I don't think Trump's support will wane until he has a negative effect on the dollar.

Edited by Drumpf1737
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, scrb said:

He has a yacht hosting a morning show which is rated like #20?

Morning Joe is usually rated in the top 90 cable shows in the USA. Overall ratings are around 850K which is a big jump from 400K pre Trump launching his campaign. The last report I saw is that he earns $8M per year + a clothing allowance which has been upgraded since he went public with Mika.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, stormy said:

LOL Joe gets a clothing allowance?  He's stashing it away because he sure doesn't look like he's using it.

Joe has been wearing suits for the last few months which are color co ordinated with Mika's wardrobe. He also purchased the complete collection of sweaters & fleecewear from LL Bean. Joe does save a bit of money by not buying socks.

• Love 1

$8 million for a cable show?  What do the people on the morning shows of the broadcast networks get?  I know those at the top -- like Katie what's her name -- do very well but I'm talking the average host.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, scrb said:

$8 million for a cable show?  What do the people on the morning shows of the broadcast networks get?  I know those at the top -- like Katie what's her name -- do very well but I'm talking the average host.

I think Matt Lauer makes about $20M

• Love 1

Tuesday Recap. The theme today is Trump is incompetent . Joe called Trump a Dope. Joe said Washington always wins!

Joe is wearing a new grey suit. He is in the bunker which has blue lights. Mika is in the mysterious studio ( London?)

Joe blamed Trump for alienating Senators. He is just good at putting his name on Steaks.

Joe blamed Trump for making promises on healthcare he couldn't keep.

Ratner said the GOP plan was too radical. You have to set up a War Room!.

The GOP is in disarray. The new plan is to repeal it with a 2 year delay.

Joe mocked all the Presidents for not paying attention to Congress. Joe said Congress won't be kicked around.

You can't get the support of Collins & Cruz.

Joe said he was right about healthcare!. Joe told Trump he should not fight with the press or the FBI! Joe wants Trump to listen to him.

• Love 2

Ford Jr said Trump can work with 5-10 Democrats to improve Obamacare.

Joe said Trump was not loyal to Congress or Christie. He called the GOP House bill mean.

Mika said Trump does't know what is going on so he does look like an idiot in front of Senators.

Joe's hair is a mess today. He needs to comb it before he goes in the bunker.

• Love 2
(edited)

I watched the first hour but later did the "Made in America" dog and pony show come up?  Did fatty explain why no trump products are manufactured in America?  And why only everyone else is bad?

Edited by stormy

Gah.  If only he'd give guests room to breathe and speak.   They occasionally have brilliant guests on the show and they should be permitted to arrange complex thoughts over time.  The author of the book on Bannon has the whole Trump phenomena figured.  That was a good segment.

Right now the Dems should stand up and become aggressive.  They should block every single thing Trump does at all times, but adopt his agenda.  If Trump says, "Made in America!", Dems should say "Made in America! Trump is a liar who manufactures in China," and then roll out their plan, even if it's completely identical to Trump's plan.  They should run against Obamacare loudly, but suggesting only tiny changes, Repubs say repeal and replace?  Dems say Improve and Increase.  Trump's messages resonate?  Ok.  Steal them.  About 35% of the American electorate are objectively stupid.  Say the right words to the morons' faces, while making Trump look like a dope.  Landslide victory. 

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Jeann said:

Am I the only one thinking that Mika and Joe are on vacation and are just pretending to be at different places ?

I agree with you -- I think they are both in Europe/London.  Saw something on Twitter about someone seeing them at the airport several days ago.  Seems silly that they are pretending to be at different places given that everyone knows they are together now.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mmtx2002 said:

I agree with you -- I think they are both in Europe/London.  Saw something on Twitter about someone seeing them at the airport several days ago.  Seems silly that they are pretending to be at different places given that everyone knows they are together now.  

This would be hilarious. Could Joe have a European Bunker? There is only room for 1 in the Conn Bunker. Why can't they both broadcast from Europe?

Based on Joe's messy hair, he could be in windy Scotland

• Love 4
4 hours ago, oakville said:

This would be hilarious. Could Joe have a European Bunker? There is only room for 1 in the Conn Bunker. Why can't they both broadcast from Europe?

Based on Joe's messy hair, he could be in windy Scotland

Agree they should both be able to broadcast from Europe together, but I think there is still some discomfort with them being "out" if you will.  They both seem to have a bit of a delay, which has been annoying this week.  I think Mika is definitely in London (google NBC Newsroom in London and that is definitely her background), but you would think Joe would make it into 30 Rock if he is the only one around (since Willie has been out too).  I find the episodes with everyone scattered across the screen much harder to watch -- breaks up some of the natural flow of the conversation that occurs when they are around the table.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Mmtx2002 said:

Agree they should both be able to broadcast from Europe together, but I think there is still some discomfort with them being "out" if you will.  They both seem to have a bit of a delay, which has been annoying this week.  I think Mika is definitely in London (google NBC Newsroom in London and that is definitely her background), but you would think Joe would make it into 30 Rock if he is the only one around (since Willie has been out too).  I find the episodes with everyone scattered across the screen much harder to watch -- breaks up some of the natural flow of the conversation that occurs when they are around the table.

Thanks!  MMTX2002 Mika's studio has been found in London!!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=nbc+newsroom+london&tbm=isch&imgil=00uHw-TWbqPf_M%3A%3BA5e6sTtDkQgSbM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Ftvforum.uk%252Fthenewsroom%252Fvieira-quits-nbcs-today-32183%252Fpage-42&source=iu&pf=m&fir=00uHw-TWbqPf_M%3A%2CA5e6sTtDkQgSbM%2C_&usg=__WbCYS1xmAiGdaEBFSz4puCTkiRE%3D&biw=1093&bih=460&dpr=1.25&ved=0ahUKEwiDtLmfmZXVAhUk5oMKHWSJA2IQyjcIQw&ei=bzxvWcPAJqTMjwTkko6QBg#imgrc=00uHw-TWbqPf_M:

• Love 1
(edited)

Wednesday Recap. Mika in London without telling viewers. Joe in the Bunker.

It's funny that they refuse to disclose where they are yet blame Trump for having a secret meeting with Putin.

Could Joe be meeting with important leaders?

Joe is mocking Trump for having no clue that it takes 50 + votes for the healthcare bill. 48-4 is not good enough.

Joe is mocking the GOP for having too many different wings . If you help the Freedom Caucus you lose the moderate GOP Senators. Joe said he was right & knew that it would't work. You need some democrats to help out.

Bremer is on the show with the scoop he took from Andrew Bernadelli of Buzzfeed on July 8. It's weird that Trump didn't have his own translator.

Joe is apopletic that Trump has had 3 hour meetings with the evil Putin without a member of the NSC to help out.

Wendy Sherman came on the show with Mika's hairstyle but in Grey. It was eerie. Could this be a future look for Mika ?

There are new sanctions on Iran but they can continue to build nuclear program. There would be more sactions if Iran bombed any other countries.

Bremer said it was irresponsible for TRump to meet with the Russians at the secret diner that everyone in the G20 was invited to.

Mika was furious about the spelling mistake on Jon Huntsman 's white house introduction. Mika found several other spelling mistakes . This is big news!

Mika has found at least 7 spelling mistakes in Trump's tweets & called the White House press shop a Horror Show!.

Luckily, Mika has never stumbled over her words in the 10 years she has been on the show. MSBC has never put out an inaccurate chyron.

Joe said it wasn't the biggest problem with Trump but they are unprofessional.

Halperin said good spelling makes a good Presidency.

Sam Stein wants more health care policy wonks to help explain the GOP Health Care plan.

Joe actually likes Jon Huntsman. I remember when Halperin called him the next John F Kennedy.

Mika wants to call the meeting with Putin Nefarious!. Trump exposed himself. ? Isn't this how the Ritz carlton Moscow Dossier occurred.

Edited by oakville
iphone autocorrect makes spelling mistakes
  • Love 2
(edited)

Bremer said it was irresponsible for TRump to meet with the Russians at the secret diner that everyone in the G20 was invited to

I saw what you did there.....

I was on the beach for 2 days, and coming back and starting up with the news again was enlightening. I could see clearly that every single day as long as Trump is in power will be the same.  News will pick on every single thing Trump does, because in comparison with former Presidents every single thing Trump does is ego-driven and mostly appalling, but in this new paradigm it's business as usual, Trump won't change and we will slowly, depressingly  march toward either 1) impeachment, 2) his resignation when his taxes are required to be released 3) election in 4 years of someone else.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 1
(edited)

I believe the second meeting caused some alarm because Trump didn't have an interpreter there, so an hour long conversation with the man who instructed his government to interfere and possibly change the outcome of our election, with no note taking, and only a Russian interpreter, is newsworthy.   It's one thing when everyone speaks the same language another when it's a quiet conversation in languages not everyone there speaks.  Example:   the girl that does my nails speaks Vietnamese to her coworkers right  in front of me, I don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about.  

Mika has found at least 7 spelling mistakes in Trump's tweets & called the White House press shop a Horror Show!.

I know Mika can be overly dramatic but it is pretty bad that we have adults who don't check their spelling on official announcements. I do marketing for our company and if I sent out press releases, or printed marketing materials with as many typos as the WH, I would be looking for a new job. 

These  are official statements from the WH, they should be read over multiple times to be sure context and wording, as well as grammar and spelling are correct. FFS don't these people have spell check? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I saw what you did there.....

I was on the beach for 2 days, and coming back and starting up with the news again was enlightening. I could see clearly that every single day as long as Trump is in power will be the same.  News will pick on every single thing Trump does, because in comparison with former Presidents every single thing Trump does is ego-driven and mostly appalling, but in this new paradigm it's business as usual, Trump won't change and we will slowly, depressingly  march toward either 1) impeachment, 2) his resignation when his taxes are required to be released 3) election in 4 years of someone else.

Thanks! I laugh at Morning Joe because they are so over the top about all the dumb things that Trump says or does.

The dinner was attended by all the G20. The Guy from Buzzfeed picked up on it on July 8.

why is Bremer the hero?

Mika is now auditioning for the mean elementary school librarian role on the show.

43 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I believe the second meeting caused some alarm because Trump didn't have an interpreter there, so an hour long conversation with the man who instructed his government to interfere and possibly change the outcome of our election, with no note taking, and only a Russian interpreter, is newsworthy.   It's one thing when everyone speaks the same language another when it's a quiet conversation in languages not everyone there speaks.  Example:   the girl that does my nails speaks Vietnamese to her coworkers right  in front of me, I don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about.  

I know Mika can be overly dramatic but it is pretty bad that we have adults who don't check their spelling on official announcements. I do marketing for our company and if I sent out press releases, or printed marketing materials with as many typos as the WH, I would be looking for a new job. 

These  are official statements from the WH, they should be read over multiple times to be sure context and wording, as well as grammar and spelling are correct. FFS don't these people have spell check? 

Spell check is useful!

The White House should be embarrassed by the mistakes. However, Mika frequently mispronounces things on the air. She's not perfect.

She's not perfect but she's also not The President of the United States, who is supposed to speaking on behalf of the country (just typing that makes me nauseated).  Spell checking is one of my pet peeves too because if you can't get the small things right, what about the big - oh, who am I kidding?  This moron doesn't care.  Sigh.

• Love 10

She's not perfect but she's also not The President of the United States, who is supposed to speaking on behalf of the country (just typing that makes me nauseated).  Spell checking is one of my pet peeves too because if you can't get the small things right, what about the big - oh, who am I kidding?  This moron doesn't care.  Sigh.

Hee. I know.   He doesn't even get that there are 100 members of the Senate. He thinks he almost won because the GOP healthcare count was 48-4.   No dipshit it was going to be 52-48 the whole Senate has to vote. 

• Love 6

Mika was furious about the spelling mistake on Jon Huntsman 's white house introduction. Mika found several other spelling mistakes . This is big news!

What Mika doesn't understand is that Trump, for all his other failures, is actually a brilliant communicator...to the people he is courting. His base doesn't care if he misspells things in his Twitter. And any time a DC/NYC "snob" makes a snarky comment about it, it makes them defend and love him more. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, oakville said:

It's funny that they refuse to disclose where they are yet blame Trump for having a secret meeting with Putin.

How is that even remotely in the same vicinity ? He is the PRESIDENT having secret talks with the president of the country that disrupted our elections last year, the country that his campaign is suspected to have colluded with.

Joe S. and Mika are hosts of a morning show and don't own anyone accountability as to where they are.

In no way or shape or form are these two instances even remotely similar.

• Love 15
(edited)

The group this morning made a salient point.  "Imagine if Obama had done... "  Just take a moment and imagine if Obama's press office: Misspelled official messages, graphics, and printed materials all the time.  The base of Trump's support that refuse to be moved by misspellings would break their ankles leaping to declare Obama's press office as "lazy" and "uneducated" (and I'm being super careful and polite) with every ounce of the connotations you'd assume regarding racial stereotypes.  It wouldn't be the polite hum you hear from Morning Joe, it'd be a deafening roar repeated and repeated and repeated.  Same circumstance with Trump, though? ... silence.
Imagine if Obama's press office:  Lied.  Routinely.  About observably known facts.  We're now talking impeachment 24/7.  Illegitimate President.  The visceral hate from the right would subsume all right wing media constantly and forever. 
Imagine if Obama had an off-the-record meeting with Putin, who he wouldn't condemn for helping him beat Romney, and when pressed about the content of the secret meeting, said to Fox News:  You're a liar, the media are liars, it's none of your business what was discussed, I'm the President.   Just imagine.

The derision, the anger, the media coverage isn't even at a high enough pitch yet.
Today the crew mentioned a list of Fox News reporters who have had enough of the press office.  I doubt that will show up on Fox News anecdotally, but even their work-a-day reporters are turning away.

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 11
41 minutes ago, Jeann said:

How is that even remotely in the same vicinity ? He is the PRESIDENT having secret talks with the president of the country that disrupted our elections last year, the country that his campaign is suspected to have colluded with.

Joe S. and Mika are hosts of a morning show and don't own anyone accountability as to where they are.

In no way or shape or form are these two instances even remotely similar.

Mika & Joe are one of if not the most powerful couple on Morning cable tv. Morning Joe is usually rated in the TOP 100 of all of cable shows. More importantly, many world leaders rely on Joe for advice. 

Joe has also become a welcome addition to the music scene with his hit song & video, Mystified.

The lack of disclosure of their whereabouts is concerning. I suspect they are having secret meetings with key players in world governments as to how to deal with the erratic Trump administration.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe are one of if not the most powerful couple on Morning cable tv. Morning Joe is usually rated in the TOP 100 of all of cable shows. More importantly, many world leaders rely on Joe for advice. 

I hope this is just sarcasm.

• Love 9