Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mmtx2002 said:

All of this to say, too, that it has been very odd to me that they have not been appearing together while in London.  Based on Joe's and Mika's recent social media postings it is clear they have been there together all week.  Yet strangely they were in separate isolation booths.  Hurts the dynamic of the show in my view.  

I agree with this. The other weird thing is that on all the Google photos of the London studio that Mika was in, there isa banner across the top "NBC News London". That was not there for Mika. For some odd reason they didn't seem to want anyone to know that Mika was in London.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

All the "girls" up and coming at MSNBC are fucking great.  There's a wave of talent on the come-up there.  So smart, sharp and funny.  Katie Tur is so loveably goofy and sincere and funny and smart and WILL NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT at the same time.

I was going to say the same thing in my earlier post!  I love the women dominating on MSNBC. That interview Katy did with the dipshit Kobach, OMG a thing of beauty.   I really like Nicole.   I wonder if tptb have seen how Joy & Rachel are doing so well and just turned the women loose. Go get 'em ladies.

Love it! 

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Nicole Wallace is such a good host.  She's so talented.  Something happened from the period when she got fired from The View to today.  She must have been coached.  She used to be a nasty true believer who would defend insanity out of hand.  A more reasonable KellyAnn Conway.  I suppose that was an act she thought she had to put on to play the part of right wing avenger.

I agree. I disliked her when she was on The View, but she is really shining on MSNBC. It helps that she dislikes Trump and his crew so much, and I'm not seeing so much of her conservative views because of the preoccupation with the chaos he has created. She has a free-flowing, loose style, but she can be tough at the same time. I don't even mind her voice anymore.

• Love 2

Run Spicey, run!! Run and jump in the Potomac and wash off the filth of the past 6 months!  I wish MJ was on tomorrow AM!  Mika and Joe could report from a Nantucket bunker, with a green screen of tiny whales, sailboats and lobsters.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Instead of quoting you all individually - which would be miles of page space - I will say that I absolutely love everyone's posts today and am of like mind with just about everything. 

There most certainly should be a law mandating the release of a candidate's tax returns.  Just imagine the crapstorm we would have avoided had that been in place already.

Meek-a sure does enjoy being the only girl in the room.  She's just smart enough to realize when she's being outshone in the intelligence department and it makes her uneasy being around truly smart women.  I'd love to know the real back-story of her upbringing; something tells me she was completely overshadowed by all the brains in that family

It is so ironic that I, too, miss the lovebirds when they're away.  Go figure.

I suggest you read Mika's book All Things at Once which details her life growing up till her start on Morning Joe.

16 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Run Spicey, run!! Run and jump in the Potomac and wash off the filth of the past 6 months!  I wish MJ was on tomorrow AM!  Mika and Joe could report from a Nantucket bunker, with a green screen of tiny whales, sailboats and lobsters.

Joe is happy that Spicer quit. Joe said it will weaken Bannon.

6 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Nicole Wallace is so good.  And I like John Heilemann.  Together, though, they are a stripe too giggly and a little too loose when coralling the dummies on the panel.  Things shouldn't go so far that Gene Robinson is cracking jokes.  Gene Robinson should never make jokes.  He should only ever be erudite and pleasantly disapproving of Republicans.   And giving Donnie too much space is a huge mistake.  He's sooo weak on policy and when he's juxtaposed against heavyweights, you realize his TV time is a waste of your time. 
As you watch Nicole, you see that she's a hundred million miles beyond Mika.  Nicole actually reads.  She actually DID the job she covers.  She knows all the players personally.  She knows Sergei Lavrov and knows people who work with him and against him.  She's read everything on everything and pulls from that information intelligently with a light, amusing touch.  Her shows move and touch the right spots quickly and move on.  She's so good.

I haven't watched her too much but have noticed her criticisms of Trump in the past year.

Again, I wonder if she's more willing or prone to criticize Trump partly because he's antagonized the Bushes, to whom she seems to be very loyal.

How did she view Obama and Romney for instance?  Presumably she hasn't left the Republican party like Scarborough has, even though she's probably got more moderate views than he has and probably has to be more alienated by how the base drives the party.

(edited)

She has called President Obama a jerk on MJ,  but then of his last speech, she praised him profusely.  

So I guess it depends on the day.  

All I know now is she doesn't bring her politics into the show Maybe hanging out with Rachel & Brian Williams has mellowed her. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, scrb said:

she's more willing or prone to criticize Trump partly because he's antagonized the Bushes, to whom she seems to be very loyal.

She made fun of Bush's White House this morning, saying it was always embroiled in controversy and they often failed to get the right messages out.   She was being self depricating in saying how bad the Bush White House was, but it was SO MUCH better than Trump's.

1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Maybe hanging out with Rachel & Brian Williams has mellowed her.

Probably close to the truth.

• Love 1

Meh.  Nicole Wallace knows which side her bread is buttered on, she's smart enough to tone down the right-wing conservatism because she's on a more liberal network.  Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but she wants to get paid.  I remember things she's said in the past about President Obama, for example, so I am not moved or impressed by her now.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Landsnark said:

It's possible they're in London to work on a project.  Joe probably has a few irons in the fire and that's why he's in another part of London midday.
I did not miss them today, fwiw. 
Nicole Wallace is such a good host.  She's so talented.  Something happened from the period when she got fired from The View to today.  She must have been coached.  She used to be a nasty true believer who would defend insanity out of hand.  A more reasonable KellyAnn Conway.  I suppose that was an act she thought she had to put on to play the part of right wing avenger.

All the "girls" up and coming at MSNBC are fucking great.  There's a wave of talent on the come-up there.  So smart, sharp and funny.  Katie Tur is so loveably goofy and sincere and funny and smart and WILL NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT at the same time.

Katie Tur laughed when Barnicle said she spent more time with Trump than members of his own family

I happened to catch MSNBC on Friday and loved the women such as Nicole Wallace, Katy Tur and Stephanie Rule. They were on fire with their comments and laughter.  It was a great response to the .mess in Washington, DC

• Love 3

Because Joe's hair is constantly a topic of discussion, thought this would be of interest. Whole article is online but have copied the most important bit - yep, about the hair.

------

Joe and Mika were engaged in the south of France in May, and she wears her large diamond solitaire, even though she said it gets in the way of caring for their petting zoo. “I’m not sure where we begin and the other ends. We’re just really connected,” she told me. Scarborough added, “You don’t know where I start, where she ends … We … she … understands me — ” She cut him off: “Makes you better.”

“She does make me a lot better.” Including paying particular attention to the height of his hair, which she has her own stylist cut at the Carlyle Hotel and is often fixing herself with her fingers.

“You know,” Scarborough said, “it’s actually funny that Mika, she loves — stop that,” he laughed, as her hand disappeared into the mane.

“I’m just trying to get it to be tall.”

“She loves — she will grab it.”

“I suggest you don’t talk too long about this,” Brzezinski cautioned him.

“She’ll yank it up high and spray it. And I’m like, ‘What are you doing? It’s going straight up!’ ” He laughed. “It just keeps hitting you that it’s forever. It’s forever. It’s forever. And you do realize immediately what matters, what doesn’t matter. It makes you treat people around you differently, people that you love."

• Love 6
9 hours ago, nicole21290 said:

Because Joe's hair is constantly a topic of discussion, thought this would be of interest. Whole article is online but have copied the most important bit - yep, about the hair.

------

Joe and Mika were engaged in the south of France in May, and she wears her large diamond solitaire, even though she said it gets in the way of caring for their petting zoo. “I’m not sure where we begin and the other ends. We’re just really connected,” she told me. Scarborough added, “You don’t know where I start, where she ends … We … she … understands me — ” She cut him off: “Makes you better.”

“She does make me a lot better.” Including paying particular attention to the height of his hair, which she has her own stylist cut at the Carlyle Hotel and is often fixing herself with her fingers.

“You know,” Scarborough said, “it’s actually funny that Mika, she loves — stop that,” he laughed, as her hand disappeared into the mane.

“I’m just trying to get it to be tall.”

“She loves — she will grab it.”

“I suggest you don’t talk too long about this,” Brzezinski cautioned him.

“She’ll yank it up high and spray it. And I’m like, ‘What are you doing? It’s going straight up!’ ” He laughed. “It just keeps hitting you that it’s forever. It’s forever. It’s forever. And you do realize immediately what matters, what doesn’t matter. It makes you treat people around you differently, people that you love."

Joe's messy hair is Mika's fault? Wow!

If you look at old clips of the show, Joe had a normal dark brown or black haircut parted the other way.  It is now Trumpian in length. It wouls make a nice nest for one of Mika's pets.

• Love 4

I am exhausted by politics, trying to make sense of why Meek-a is the only "girl" on the panel...almost always.  So, shallow end of the pool...am I the only won who thinks that Clint Watts is kind of sexy?  As per Erma Bombeck, I have cookie sheets older than him, but I can't put my finger on what it is.  The glasses?  The fact that he is so "military" in his hair and bearing; which I don't usually care for.  Just me?

• Love 2

Monday Recap. Joe is off. The lease on the undisclosed studio in London expired. Mika is stuck in NY alone. Mika is wearing her blue french school teacher uniform with a white collar.

The FBI guy with weird glasses is on the show & Noah "constitutional crisis" Rothman,

The opening clip of the Mooch saying he loves Trump was hilarious. Mika wonders if he took a loyalty oath to Trump.

Mika mocked him for erasing his anti Trump tweets.

Kasie! called Jared's new report sloppy & chaotic. He met with Russians!!! on numerous occasions.

His SF 86 forms were wrong & had to be amended. He used a red pen to fill out parts of the form. This is a violation of the form. The form has to be filled out with  a blue or black pen.

Noah wants the GOP to step up & deal with Trump . It is a constitutional crisis if he fires everyone in the Justice Department.

Josh Earnest said everyone has to have the same message in the White House.

Jared, Mika's former BFF is trying to be transparent.

On Friday's show Keir Simmons got the Russian Ambassador to admit that Trump & Putin may have gone to the toilet together. This meeting in the toilet was not disclosed. There were no translators present in the bathroom.

Mika is breathless trying to read the important statements from Jared. Mika is curious!

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I am exhausted by politics, trying to make sense of why Meek-a is the only "girl" on the panel...almost always.  So, shallow end of the pool...am I the only won who thinks that Clint Watts is kind of sexy?  As per Erma Bombeck, I have cookie sheets older than him, but I can't put my finger on what it is.  The glasses?  The fact that he is so "military" in his hair and bearing; which I don't usually care for.  Just me?

During the early years of Morning Show, there were numerous females on the panel like Norah O'Donnell. She was very knowledgeable & laughed a lot. There was talk of having Norah & Willie host a Gen X version of Morning Joe. They had good chemistry. She ended up going to CBS after Savannah Guthrie was promoted.

Clint looks like he belongs on an episode of the X Files.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, sleekandchic said:

So when Vlad and Donald met at the urinal, did they compare hand size?  

I hate that nasty Russian Foreign Minister.  Disgusting man.

I think the Russians make have taken a urine sample at the G20 & compared it to the samples found on the mattress in the room at the Moscow Ritz Carlton where Trump  stayed in 2013.

The panel did not discuss the breaking news that AG Sessions routinely wore a red shirt to the University of Alabama football games. Was this a secret sign of support for Russia?

• Love 1

Mika sounds so much more knowledgeable when Joe isn't there.

As for the estrogen factor, I like some of the women they have on and dislike others. Just like the guys.

• Love 2

Mika is going on about Spicer's loyalty oath to Trump. It was bad for him. He put his loyalty to Trump above his loyalty to the country.

It reminds me of Mika's loyalty to Joe when she was heard on a microphone agreeing with Joe  to not ask tough questions of Trump in February 2016.

McCarthy wrote a good article saying Trump is the one who caused the Muller investigation. He keeps setting fires. Trump is his own worst enemy.

• Love 2

I am exhausted by politics, trying to make sense of why Meek-a is the only "girl" on the panel...almost always.  

Not sure I agree. During the election Nicolle Wallace was a frequent panelist, certainly a few times a week. I am a fan of Elise Jordan, I wish she were on more often, but she's on a decent number of times. I wish there were more women on the show but I wouldn't say Mika is almost always the only woman.

As for the excerpt of the article, I am reminded of the vomit scene in Monty Python's Meaning of Life: gimme a bucket, I'm gonna throw up. How did these jokers capture the attention of the pop culture zeitgeist? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

The Mooch looks just like Mario Cantone.

That's who SNL should hire to play The Mooch.   Except that tRump goes ballistic when a woman portrays one of his guys, so maybe one of the females should do it.  His whole team is such an embarrassment of riches where satire is concerned. 

Meek-a always does so much better when Squinty isn't there.  Is she that intimidated by him?  Must be.

Those pics and the article quote made me queasy.  Gotta go find the Alka Seltzer.

• Love 3

Those pics and the article quote made me queasy.  Gotta go find the Alka Seltzer.

It was pretty insulting to JoMika. More of a take down piece than an ode to their brilliance. 

And enough with the Mar A Lago Christmas bullshit.  You don't have to show up at Mar a Lago to get an interview Joe. You call their press people and schedule it.  

• Love 1

Lol you folks who surmised that the show was pretending that Mika and Joe weren't together last week were correct!

Page Six on Mika and Joe in London together

That's who SNL should hire to play The Mooch.   Except that tRump goes ballistic when a woman portrays one of his guys, so maybe one of the females should do it.  His whole team is such an embarrassment of riches where satire is concerned. 

True but I would imagine Mario's flamboyant and very proudly gay personality would piss off Trump as well.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, nicole21290 said:

I read that as Joe saying that what kept hitting him was his hairstyle going forever straight up.  

I missed him being there today for a mean girl beatdown of Kushner's tepid CMA spin statement. I'm just a dummy commoner, but even I know bullshit PR gobbledygook when I see it. 

Meanwhile, since it's clear that Mika runs the hairshow, I guess I can stop writing fanfic on Joe and Jeremy Peters' adventures in the Man Salon with hot rollers and a tube of L"OReal Studio Style. Sigh. Why must it be so hard to quit a day job?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

.am I the only won who thinks that Clint Watts is kind of sexy?  As per Erma Bombeck, I have cookie sheets older than him, but I can't put my finger on what it is.  The glasses?  The fact that he is so "military" in his hair and bearing; which I don't usually care for.  Just me?

Not just you.  Lol.  He reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in his Jurassic Park/Independence Day "smart is sexy" days.  I'd love to know if Watts tall and lanky, too.  

• Love 4

I thought I posted this stuff below at about 8 AM this morning.  Anyway--now I'm wondering who is "The Mooch?"

----------------------------------------------

1.  Scientist

2. Hot Glasses

3.  Scruffy Beard

What's not to love?  

How frickin' cold is the temperature in the studio that Mika has to wear winter clothes in the hottest days of summer? It must be because she has like 5% body fat.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Not sure I agree. During the election Nicolle Wallace was a frequent panelist, certainly a few times a week. I am a fan of Elise Jordan, I wish she were on more often, but she's on a decent number of times. I wish there were more women on the show but I wouldn't say Mika is almost always the only woman.

As for the excerpt of the article, I am reminded of the vomit scene in Monty Python's Meaning of Life: gimme a bucket, I'm gonna throw up. How did these jokers capture the attention of the pop culture zeitgeist? 

I recall Mika getting into a heated argument with Cackles about Trump before the election. Mika was pro-Trump back then. Cackles did not appear on Morning Joe for several months after that fight. Don't mess with Mika!

The NY Mag about Mika & Joe was fascinating. It's a must read for people that post on this forum. Joe uses Mika's hairstylist. Mika is the architect of Joe's hairstyle. 

Campbell Brown & her Bush sycophant husband Dan Senor used to be on the show regularly.

Edited by oakville
forgot they were married
  • Love 1
(edited)

I thought I posted this stuff below at about 8 AM this morning.  Anyway--now I'm wondering who is "The Mooch?"

----------------------------------------------

1.  Scientist

2. Hot Glasses

3.  Scruffy Beard

What's not to love?  

How frickin' cold is the temperature in the studio that Mika has to wear winter clothes in the hottest days of summer? It must be because she has like 5% body fat.

It's super cold in the studios because of all the lights and equipment.  

Mooch is a hedge fund manager, and madly in love with himself.   He used to rail against Trump like crazy, now there are drinking games where you have to take a drink every time he says he loves Trump.  He's been on Fox Financial, and guested on CNBC a lot back in the day. 

He's on a charm offensive to win over the press pool, and reset the relationship between WH & Press,  but it's already failing. He thinks his slick talk and expensive suits make up for the fact that he's SO out of his league.  The DC press is going to eat him alive. They've already linked him to a big investment fund that Putin is involved in.  That story broke around 8 pm on Friday night.   

Let's lay off the Russia story for a couple days, JoMika, and cover healthcare. Russia isn't going anywhere. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, navelgazer said:

Not just you.  Lol.  He reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in his Jurassic Park/Independence Day "smart is sexy" days.  I'd love to know if Watts tall and lanky, too.  

Yes! I was watching the Independence Day movie & I thought the same thing. Clint is a welcome addition to the Morning Joe panel. I hope Barnicle & Ford Jr take a long vacation this summer. They don't add anything useful to the show.

14 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

It's super cold in the studios because of all the lights and equipment.  

Mooch is a hedge fund manager, and madly in love with himself.   He used to rail against Trump like crazy, now there are drinking games where you have to take a drink every time he says he loves Trump.  He's been on Fox Financial, and guested on CNBC a lot back in the day. 

He's on a charm offensive to win over the press pool, and reset the relationship between WH & Press,  but it's already failing. He thinks his slick talk and expensive suits make up for the fact that he's SO out of his league.  The DC press is going to eat him alive. They've already linked him to a big investment fund that Putin is involved in.  That story broke around 8 pm on Friday night.   

Let's lay off the Russia story for a couple days, JoMika, and cover healthcare. Russia isn't going anywhere. 

The Mooch could have easily been on the Sopranos. This guy is hilarious. We don't have as many colorful characters like this holding Communications Director positions in Canada.

• Love 2

Campbell Brown & her Bush sycophant Dan Senor used to be on the show regularly.

Ugh. They were/are the worst! The fact that she was married to a member of the national security staff of the Bush White House should have disqualified her from covering the White House during that administration but yet oddly it never did. Now she's a shill for the charter school industry, where she belongs.

• Love 4

The Mooch could have easily been on the Sopranos. This guy is hilarious. We don't have as many colorful characters like this holding Communications Director positions in Canada.

Or future inmates. Instead of Mexico, they should take the money and just build a big wall around the White House and rename it  District of Columbia Federal Prison. 

gh. They were/are the worst! The fact that she was married to a member of the national security staff of the Bush White House should have disqualified her from covering the White House during that administration but yet oddly it never did. Now she's a shill for the charter school industry, where she belongs.

I used to kinda like her til I found out she was married to Senor. Then I heard she's on the charter school band wagon. BLECH!!!!!

• Love 2

Scaramuccia (literally "little skirmisher"), also known as Scaramouche or Scaramouch, is a stock clown character of the Italiancommedia dell'arte. The role combined characteristics of the zanni (servant) and the Capitano (masked henchman). Usually attired in black Spanish dress and burlesquing a don, he was often beaten by Harlequin for his boasting and cowardice.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

Lol you folks who surmised that the show was pretending that Mika and Joe weren't together last week were correct!

Page Six on Mika and Joe in London together

True but I would imagine Mario's flamboyant and very proudly gay personality would piss off Trump as well.

I am amazed that the Morning Joe staff is now leaking "classified " information about the show. Will Mika & Joe fire the "leakers"? I think it's ridiculous for the show to try & deceive viewers about the whereabouts of Mika & Joe.

What was wrong with Mika & Joe being together on set from the London office of NBC? They could have easily done the show together. They could have even done an interview with some UK leaders about what they think about Trump or what is happening in the UK.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, potatoradio said:

I read that as Joe saying that what kept hitting him was his hairstyle going forever straight up.  

I read it that he is saying his relationship with Mika is forever.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Ugh. They were/are the worst! The fact that she was married to a member of the national security staff of the Bush White House should have disqualified her from covering the White House during that administration but yet oddly it never did. Now she's a shill for the charter school industry, where she belongs.

Agreed. I couldn't believe that Campbell fell in love with Senor. She was highly respected when she was on NBC.

I recall Andrea Mitchell having to stop covering domestic issues when her husband Alan Greenspan was the Federal Reserve Chief.

Claire Shipman at ABC had to stop covering her husband when he became Press Secretary.

1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

It was pretty insulting to JoMika. More of a take down piece than an ode to their brilliance. 

And enough with the Mar A Lago Christmas bullshit.  You don't have to show up at Mar a Lago to get an interview Joe. You call their press people and schedule it.  

Agreed. I thought it was brilliant of the writer of the article to get the White House's version of Mar A Largo gate!.

Mika & Joe wanted to be seen hanging with the "cool people" on NYE. Joe could have & should have got an interview with Trump before the inauguration.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The Mooch looks just like Mario Cantone.

Perfect, Ohwell. I knew he reminded me of someone! Here's a photo of Mario. SNL, please contact him.mario-cantone-71.jpg.7ddc2718f7e53c863e8f0f6906344b1e.jpg

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, oakville said:

I am amazed that the Morning Joe staff is now leaking "classified " information about the show. Will Mika & Joe fire the "leakers"? I think it's ridiculous for the show to try & deceive viewers about the whereabouts of Mika & Joe.

What was wrong with Mika & Joe being together on set from the London office of NBC? They could have easily done the show together. They could have even done an interview with some UK leaders about what they think about Trump or what is happening in the UK.

Totally agree about it being ridiculous.  I am curious as to whether this was a planned leak to test reaction to them appearing on camera on vacation together.  This is pretty new territory -- there have been very few real couples in this role.  We know that Joe and Mika sometimes plant things on Page Six...

It seems to me that there is some worry that them being "together" on the air during MJ somehow undermines the seriousness of their show -- that is all I can make of it.  They are not totally comfortable with being out on air on their show (think of the response to their engagement, Donny giving them an engagement gift, and even Joe asking Mika about her July 4). Trump clearly thought it might undermine them (hence outing them last year, which the NY Mag article says was against their wishes).  

In any event, the show needs to figure out how to handle it, since these joint vacations/trips will only continue, of course.  I am in favor of just acknowledging it and being open about it.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, QQQQ said:

Scaramuccia (literally "little skirmisher"), also known as Scaramouche or Scaramouch,

I'm not the only one who has been singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" since this guy came on board, right?

• Love 6

1 HOUR AGO, QQQQ SAID:

Scaramuccia (literally "little skirmisher"), also known as Scaramouche or Scaramouch,

I'm not the only one who has been singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" since this guy came on board, right?

Nope. Someone on twitter did the whole song. There were fandango jokes all over the place Friday. 

• Love 1

I've read the NYmag article and beside the bizarre inappropriate relationship with Trump, they do seem to be dare I say somewhat sweet. I figure if you're not sick of a person after spending 24/7 with them for 10 years, that's gotta count for something

I must be insane but they seem to like each other a lot. Still dislike the on air sycophantic attraction to power displayed by them over the years.