Type keyword(s) to search

Season 13 New Format

• Start Topic

Just to let you know, crowceilidh provided this information in the media thread.  So you may not get too many responses because we've been discussing in the other thread.  For me, this is not a good option because I enjoy the artistic side just as much as the athletic side.  I can't enjoy an 8 year old with an all star no matter the choreography theme.

• Love 1

I'll be pouring out a 40 for the show I used to love.  No way in hell I'll be watching Nigel's version of Dance Moms.   The idea of watching little kids bouncing around provocatively just gives me the creeps.

Edited by cubbie5150
  • Love 1

Wait what? Hells no. I'm out. I wanted to be out last season, but wanted to give it a try. But this? I'm out. There has got to be a better dance performance show on TV these days, right?

• Love 5

I took a poll (informal at best) of the new target audience from among local dance students. They are extremely excited about the change in format--many had stopped watching--because, and I paraphrase: the dancers won't be so old. They are even more excited that Maddie is on the panel. These kids don't want to wait until they're 18; and while there are a few standouts such as tWitch, they don't remember past winners and runners-up. In Canada, it's all about The Next Step (which SYTYCD Canada Season 4 winner Jordan Clarke is on), all teams and competitions.

TPTB are not going to care that we disappear. We watch but we criticize. The kids just tune out; get them back and they'll vote for their favourites without commentary. 

I can see the "old" statement.  You could tell by how they voted.  The contestant was usually one of the shortest and look like they could be 12-14 years old.  I believe that's why we lost the mature looking ballroom dancers too early.  They didn't look like the studio kid.

• Love 1

I'm sad because I've been watching this show since Season 2 and have even gone to see the top 10 on Tour the last 3 years in a row. I don't think I can watch a bunch of preteens dancing. I just don't care.

• Love 4

So we can see two ten year olds trying to dance a ballroom routine, or when All-Stars get into the picture we can have Kathryn dancing a contemporary with a thirteen year old boy. No thank you!

• Love 2

I don't think it will tank.  TPTB are probably hoping for a disney-like affect.  Afterall, the preteens have been supporting the tours, with their parents.  They're the ones doing most of the mass voting.  Or maybe I'm just fooling myself but I'd like to think that a person in their late teens or older would appreciate the more mature dancers, especially in ballroom.   Anyway, you could see how they kept lessening the importance of ballroom.  So now if the little ones fail in partner dances, it won't be a big deal and it won't be a major part of the show.  It will just be "precious".  And no one wants to see them performing romantic themes anyway.  You won't have outside dancers/companies coming out of the woodwork to criticize the performances.  They're little kids.  But TPTB are really just reshaping the show to their audience.  We "old" people will just have to hope someone will create a mature SYTYCD show for us and realize that it will not be a ratings grabber.  In that way, maybe we can have it for another decade.

Edited by movement

So this is it?  The one and only season of SYTYCD this year and it's with kids?  It's not like this is going to be a special 6 week show, then we'll get a new one with adults?  I don't mind kids so much, but the woman from Dance Moms?  Ugh.  I could barely tolerate her for one night on DWTS.

So this is it?  The one and only season of SYTYCD this year and it's with kids?  It's not like this is going to be a special 6 week show, then we'll get a new one with adults?  I don't mind kids so much, but the woman from Dance Moms?  Ugh.  I could barely tolerate her for one night on DWTS.

I don't believe Abby (the lady from DM) will be on the show.  Only Maddie from Dance Moms will be a judge.

Why couldn't they just let the show die? And didn't Nigel say he wouldn't be back as a judge? The American Idol Jr. was a flop but with shows like Little Big Shots doing well, who knows...I definitely don't agree with them dancing with all-stars, even if they are 19 or 20; depending on the dance that'll be weird, creepy, or inappropriate.

As for Maddie...whatever, I highly doubt I'll be watching anyway.

• Love 2

Oh well.  I've been trying since I first heard about this new format a few months ago to work up some enthusiasm and interest for watching, but after looking at the little commercial, nope.  Just nope.  I suppose if the summer is really devoid of anything remotely interesting and I don't have a good book lying around, I might take a peek.  Or I might just opt to go to bed early.  This new format is of zero interest to me.

• Love 1

I don't believe Abby (the lady from DM) will be on the show.  Only Maddie from Dance Moms will be a judge.

Ok, thanks.  I didn't remember the name of the guest judge on DWTS and assumed it was the same person.  I don't know what Maddie is like, so maybe I'll try a couple of episodes. 

I generally love this show and start watching once the auditions are over as I have a low tolerance for people making fools of themselves.  I think someone somewhere (TWOP maybe) called it secondhand embarrassment syndrome.  It is even worse for me when it involves children.  I don't think this show will appeal to me, as I love  it because there are intricate, intimate dances, that will not come across the same or be able to be performed the same way they would with 2 adults.  Plus, I'm just not that interested in shows with performing children.

• Love 3

Well, that sucks.  I'm out.  If I wanted to watch snotty little dance kids, I'd watch Dance Moms.  I always skip the joke 'bring the kids onstage' part of auditions; I don't want to watch an entire season of it.  Way to finally kill the franchise, Nigel.

• Love 5

There are some pretty talented kids,  especially in hip hop like Bailey Sok,  but I just can't.  No sexy dances and I like the sexy Latin and hip hop dances.  Too bad.  Use my favorite summer show.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:59 PM, Canada said:

Well, that sucks.  I'm out.  If I wanted to watch snotty little dance kids, I'd watch Dance Moms.  I always skip the joke 'bring the kids onstage' part of auditions; I don't want to watch an entire season of it.  Way to finally kill the franchise, Nigel.

How long will it be before Pervy Uncle Nigel makes inappropriate comments to underage contestants?  I'm thinking it's inevitably going to happen.  Nigel could follow in the footsteps of Shane Sparks, cool his heels (and other bits) in the slammer for awhile, and spare us from what he's done to this show. 

• Love 3

Add me to the disappointed. While I'm sure they'll find a way of making it not creepy, I just don't see it as being as interesting. And with kids I would think the moms would be involved and if the 10 minutes of Dance Moms I saw once (and I still want those moments back) I can see it getting way to drama filled. One of the reasons this was the only reality competetion I've watched is that there is no (televised) drama or backbiting. 

...I wonder if I can on demand the british bake-off show.? And somehow not eat an entire cake while doing it...

• Love 1

At the very least, Cat seems to be great talking to some of these kids. 

That said, yes, Nigel himself will be the creepy icky part of this. 

• Love 2

I just realized that this was all that we're getting. I have no problem watching talented kids dance. I'm not looking forward to seeing children perform SYTYCD style routines together or watch them perform with adults. It was cute when Shirley Temple did it, seeing Jr. Competitions a few times a year on ESPN2 is fine, I even thought Maddie Z's and Shia LaBeouf music video performance was quite good. But with this show's track record for Nigel walking a thin line with his comments and the Shane Sparks stuff, they need to be very careful what they do. A whole summer of cutesy kid routines or kids performing too mature routines, doesn't seem like appointment TV. The auditions should be standard. I'll give it until the first performance show to decide if I'm out.

• Love 2

My other issue is that when Nigel isn't patting himself on the back or being inappropriate, he's being patronizing. I am totally fine with kids getting feedback but I have a feeling that Nigel is going to bend over backwards not to be a total dick which means we're going to end up with the patronizing crap he normally reserves for the people who audition and have some sort of reason/story that prevents him from being his normal dickish self.

I'm sorry, I just can't watch stuff w/ children front & center.  It just gives me icky feelings of exploitation.  Plus kids in entertainment tend to just bug me anyway.  I'm not even tempted to view clips.  If the show ever comes back in its prior form, I'll be back.

• Love 2

Unbelievably disappointed in this new format. Honestly, I've watched this show since season 1 and I've stuck with it through some boring (and bad) contestants, horrible judges, wonky choreography and ever-changing formats. Overall, I still enjoy it - but watching a bunch of kids dance? Hells no. No. No. No. Just deleted it from the DVR and a little cranky to not have my standby guilty-pleasure summer show to watch...hopefully American Ninja Warrior won't start featuring children, too. 

• Love 1

I have no problem watching preteens dance.  I end up spending six or more weekends a year doing that.  I also know there are some really phenomenal 8-13 year old dancers out there - you could probably cast the show just from kids at my son's studio.

But...

I also see the 14-16 year olds and the 17-18 year olds dance and they blow those kids out of the water with both their technique and performance.  All because they are basically the same kids only with an additional 3-5 years experience and more maturity and muscular-skeletal development. And the adult dancers who went on to have careers are even better. 

That right there is my problem with the show.  No matter how good the kids might be, I think in the end the show is just going to go down the 'aww, how cute' path because they won't have the maturity as dancers they need to pull off anything more.

• Love 7

For the first time since Season 1, I won't be watching tonight - or any episode this season. Which is okay with them, I'm "old" and not in their target demo. Just wanted to send a shout-out and fond farewell to the show I love, the forums from "the other site" where I spent so many hours chatting (as MsImaginary, I think), playing SYTYCD games, learning so much about dance - even seeking comfort when my mom died (8 years ago, wow). But as fond as my memories are, and as much as I love Cat, I just can't with this new format of precocious little kids and their stage mommies (I barely made it through my own now-grown kids' dance and drama classes with sanity intact). But I will miss the music and dance of some of my all-time favorites from "my" show and I'm grateful for the hours there (and on-line videos to replay!)

• Love 6
On 4/19/2016 at 5:58 PM, Watt said:

This is my favorite summer show and now I can't even watch a sexy cha cha. Ugh don't make me watch Dancing with the Stars instead

I think it's unfair for Anya. She pretty much intimidates most men (except Pasha). Dancing with an 8-year-old? This should not be.

• Love 2

I haven't watch this show regularly in a few years but saw it was on tonight, tuned in and quickly changed the channel when I realized it was a kids version. Not taking anything away from the dedication and talent in these young ones but I really don't find kids being rejected entertainment. Add into that, so many of the dances performed in seasons past have been sensual in nature, that seeing a 10 year old possibly doing a sexy tango grosses me out. I feel like excuses will be made for some choreography, explaining away that this is the "art" of dance but if they go into that arena, it will be in bad taste. I am not a prude and by no means do I think tweens couldn't have the skills for different styles but a competition of this size, it's pretty brutal on the adults. To put kids into this just seems like it could be mean-spirited. There is only one winner and only so many who make it to the actual show. In the meantime, it's a ton of kids getting cast aside and basically told they aren't good enough. It's hard enough as an adult to get rejected but rejection, on national television, for a child is not must-see tv. 

• Love 3