Type keyword(s) to search

Season 13 New Format

• Start Topic

They kept the aired rejections to a bare minimum which I was very happy to see. I think just 3 were shown and it took maybe 90 seconds of show time. If anything a couple of the good dancers who made the Academy phase were even more emotional in their responses to the judging process.

I certainly do not want to see children doing romantic, sensual dances. But some of my absolute favorite choreography in the previous versions explored very grown up couples situations. No matter how talented the children are, as other posters have noted, they just can't bring the maturity and depth of feeling to the dances that the older teens and twenty-somethings can. It just isn't the same show I have enjoyed all these years. Very disappointed.

• Love 5

I've watched every season of this show, with the exception of the first season. It had become tedious, but I still sort of loved it anyway, even when I was griping about it. But children now? Hell no. Absolutly not. It's the final nail in the coffin for me. I'm officially ending my Sytycd watching. Thanks for hanging out in the forums, friends. It's been nice hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions. 

• Love 8

Why do they feel the need to do this?  No way in hell will I watch this season.  I don't want to see kids dancing, especially if they're going to do any kind of adult or sexual dancing.  Time to remove the show from my list of automatic taping.  

• Love 4

I haven't watched any of the new episodes. I read the recaps, and that was enough. I'm still not sure how the show is going to work after auditions, so I am not ready to say I'm totally done watching, but it doesn't look good.

I don't really have an interest in a hypothetical older-kids version either, but I just watched students from the local high school for the arts dance Martha Graham's Appalachian Spring, and it was very good. It's nice to know that there are teens out there dancing it and dancing it well. We just can't see it on TV.

(If I'm doing my math right, Martha was about 65 in this version!)

• Love 2

I'm not watching the show, but will continue reading episode comments to see if it completely devolves into "Toddlers and Tiaras", as it's looking it might.  The Toddlers and Tiaras forum on TWOP had some of the best, funniest hate-watching of any show, bar none, at least for my money.

• Love 1

I'd hate watch this show except for the fact that watching kids dancing just squicks me out.  *Hopefully, it goes w/out saying that his is a personal reaction, not something that I think is universal.

I'm assuming SYTYCD w/ adult dancers is gone forever.

21 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

....I'm assuming SYTYCD w/ adult dancers is gone forever.

I've read that next season's age range will be the 14 to 17 or something like that. This season and next season are the departures from the norm. If the show is renewed for a season beyond 2017, hopefully the age range will be back to the young adults.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

I've read that next season's age range will be the 14 to 17 or something like that. This season and next season are the departures from the norm. If the show is renewed for a season beyond 2017, hopefully the age range will be back to the young adults.

Interesting. Where did you read about this - besides the wishful postings on this thread?

Not sure how much I'll watch this. I see a lot of problems. Being nice to the kids, without being condescending. Having the kids do dances too sexy. It was bad enough with Nigel and the barely legal girls, preteens no, no, no.

• Love 1
On 6/13/2016 at 5:43 PM, Anothermi said:

Interesting. Where did you read about this - besides the wishful postings on this thread?

I wish I could remember where I read about these two seasons but I can't. I just glanced at all the articles on line about this season and none mention a season 14. Maybe I dreamed about it. LOL.

• Love 1

I'm skipping this season, because of the junior format.  Has anyone seen any ratings for the show this season?  I'm really wondering if they lost or gained viewers with this move.

(edited)

Ratings are down this season but I don't think it's totally because of the kids.  Ratings have been on a steady decline for several seasons, even when the show was still in its regular format.  All it shows is that focusing on the kids did nothing to boost interest, which is what I think TPTB/Fox were hoping.  For instance Fox also does Masterchef Jr. which has proven fairly popular--not a ratings landslide but it does better than SYTYCD.   Pretty sure last week's show matched a series lows in ratings.  Under 3 million viewers and maybe a .7 in the 18-49 demo.  However the other side of that is I think SYTYCD is super cheap to produce and it's a summer show so Fox will probably overlook lower ratings when it doesn't cost them much to produce the show in the first place.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

This used to be one of the 3 shows I watched, but I just can't with the kid format. If they go back to the original format, I'll watch again. 

I guess I should read the recaps.  They've cancelled all my shows and I haven't watched tv until the Olympics 

• Love 3

I am comfortable with the fact that this season was not meant to be for me. It really was not a horrible idea to target teens and tweens for this show, and there was much less squikiness with the tween/twenty-something pairings than I expected prior to this season. In particular, Robert and JTs relationship worked really well on camera.

If there was a business success that should be leveraged in any hypothetical future seasons, it was the online engagement. Over a hundred million views is a good start. I'm wondering if the show should amplify that aspect even more. Perhaps go with twitter/facebook/snapchat dance stars with some minimum following for the cast next season with hastags and likes counting as votes. Perhaps one cast member chosen from each of the three by a vote on that medium. The social media star approach did not necessarily work for The Amazing Race, but it might work here.

On 9/19/2016 at 0:10 AM, crowceilidh said:

There was a new rhythm to this iteration that was a welcome respite from the increasingly formulaic version with the older dancers, BUT there is no reason that can't translate to older dancers.

From your lips . . .

There was a new energy to some of the choreography, which was much appreciated.  I could use a much longer break from all of the breakup concepts.

• Love 1