Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

I don't know if this article from Den Of Geek was posted but I was reading it and this my favorite part. 

Nicole Beharie chose to leave Sleepy Hollow, but that was after the narrative sidelining of her once prominent character, which she presumably didn't choose. She also didn't choose the insulting, culturally tone-dead manner in which her character was written out.

Exactly.

• Love 10

That's exactly why I began divesting my feelings from SH after the end of S1.  I stopped watching early in Season Two when the CFD confirmed what had already become obvious to me.  I admit I still peeked in occasionally in S3, usually after reading this board and seeing posters talk about how the show had gotten so much better and was going ...you know....somewhere.  I never saw it.  The show was treading water, and I knew it was just a matter of time before what happened, happened.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 1

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-critics-notebook-death-meets-diversity-20160420-column.html

From the article:

It's the stories that have to change, not just the window dressing. In life, women are not the minority, and when taken together, neither are people who are black, Asian, Latino, LGBT or any other definition that television still sees as "nontraditional." These characters should not be used as seasoning or garland to give a white man's story a little spice, a little color. They should be telling their stories too, in ways that don't call for the ultimate sacrifice quite so often.

• Love 8

This isn't new. I was just feeling sentimental:

http://m.emmys.com/news/features/their-dreams-sleepy-hollow

This got me "in the feels" as the kids say:

sleepy-hollow-emmymag-bwensembleweb.jpg

We wanted someone you'd buy as a policewoman, but also as someone who had this tragic past and [carried that] emotional weight. Nicole performed Abbie's entire back story at the read, and we were hooked. After she finished, we forgot to turn off the camera.

And you threw that away like yesterday's garbage.

We caught lightning in a bottle," Goffman says. "Nicole and Tom are phenomenal individually, and together they're unstoppable. They're game for anything. In a world that is so fantastical, we can dream as big as we want and know that somehow they will help find an emotional truth and a reality to the scene.

And you forgot that just a few months later.

So where does Sleepy Hollow go next? While the show's second season same-day ratings are down from the its historic first season debut, the series remains strong in time-shifted viewing across all multiple platforms.

Threw that away, too, didn't you?

We're really trying to twist things up - they're going to be shocked.

I think "disgusted" is the word you're looking for.

• Love 7

Thanks for posting that video. It is bittersweet to an extent, but it is nice seeing how many viewers really enjoyed and took to heart the character of Abbie Mills. There will be more people following Nicole to her next projects than watching next season of Sleepy Hollow IMO

• Love 3
(edited)

Has anyone posted about the new Nikki Beharie movie on Canadian Netflix yet? Last Day Without You or something like that. Anyway in it she gets to be the sexy, amazing woman we know her to be AND sing! Didn't realize she was so tiny and had that perfect hourglass figure going on since Sleepy Hollow always hid her charms with frumpy, bland clothing.

Edited by slayer2
Not Nikki Negative, thanks autocorrect *eyeroll
4 hours ago, slayer2 said:

Has anyone posted about the new Nikki Negative movie on Canadian Netflix yet? Last Day Without You or something like that. Anyway in it she gets to be the sexy, amazing woman we know her to be AND sing! Didn't realize she was so tiny and had that perfect hourglass figure going on since Sleepy Hollow always hid her charms with frumpy, bland clothing.

Oh, no, she's absolutely a pocket venus. She must work really hard at it, too, because at her size the line between curvy and zaftig can be pretty fine (my kid's godmother tells me).

• Love 2

I'm glad that Castle was canceled (with everything that has happened to that show) and the show I hope even more that gets canceled is Sleepy Hollow.  At least ABC might have been able to get something out of Castle.  What could Fox possibly expect to get out of SH at this point other than a further reduction of their already small audience.

• Love 1

I guess I'm still the only weirdo hoping against hope they hire a skywriter to write "WE FUCKED UP" for Nicole for the next two or three months, and convince her to come back as some lookalike Mills.  They need to just head to some great fan-fiction sites, find out the different logical ways to play this, and introduce us to BAMF NewMills as played by Nicole Beharie on the mid season finale.  Then put us on the road to another Big Bad and then Cancel this shit, because the writers still untrustworthy as hell.

• Love 3

I want this horrible show canceled and I want all of the showrunners to have a scarlet L (losers) branded on their worthless resumes.

I'm still pissed and I'm glad the Twitter hate is stronger than ever. Sleepy writers going on some half ass campaign to get the show saved with the #renewsleepyhollow hashtag. How dare they. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Watermelon said:

I guess I'm still the only weirdo hoping against hope they hire a skywriter to write "WE FUCKED UP" for Nicole for the next two or three months, and convince her to come back as some lookalike Mills.  They need to just head to some great fan-fiction sites, find out the different logical ways to play this, and introduce us to BAMF NewMills as played by Nicole Beharie on the mid season finale.  Then put us on the road to another Big Bad and then Cancel this shit, because the writers still untrustworthy as hell.

Oh, I waver between wanting the show to be renewed so they can fix this mess, and hoping it gets canceled.  I want them to get on their hands and knees and beg Nicole to come back. Make it all a dream, find a loophole, just get her back. I just don't want it to end the way it did.

• Love 3

I guess I've come to the conclusion that the folks who make this show haven't so much failed to make a show I want to watch as they're genuinely not interested in making a show I want to watch. Which, of course, is their prerogative.

Their problem is that they failed to make a show for the viewers they did want. I don't see much of an argument for giving them another bite of the apple with a weaker cast.

It's a shame, though. If someone who knew how to catch all that season 1 lightning in a bottle made Ichabod Crane: Cranky Supernatural Beltway Bureaucrat, I'd have been all over it. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, slayer2 said:

Has anyone posted about the new Nikki Beharie movie on Canadian Netflix yet? Last Day Without You or something like that. Anyway in it she gets to be the sexy, amazing woman we know her to be AND sing! Didn't realize she was so tiny and had that perfect hourglass figure going on since Sleepy Hollow always hid her charms with frumpy, bland clothing.

That movie was awful!  Seriously. I watched it for her though.  Still.   Awful.

4 hours ago, roseslg said:

That movie was awful!  Seriously. I watched it for her though.  Still.   Awful.

I liked it.

It's a sad day when Peggy Carter gets cancelled but Sleepy Hollow is renewed without its lead actress, blasted networks.

• Love 10
(edited)
26 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

What a disgrace this is.  I guess Fox is in such bad shape that they desperately need the 4/10s of 1 percentage point that Sleepy Hollow is now going to bring in in the ratings without it's main co-star.  I know I won't be watching this show anymore.

But if Fox wants garbage, they can have garbage.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 8

I like the line in the linked article that says, "it will focus on the search for truth about the lives of Witnesses."  Um, shouldn't that be "life of Witness" since we're down to one?

Either way, I'm done with this show.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, benteen said:

But if Fox wants garbage, they can have garbage.

See, the problem is they think that NOW, since they are no longer weighed down with the dark female, that the garbage has been taken out.They are now free and clear to have the white dude leading the show like TV is meant to be, by golly! #MakeFoxGreatAgain [//sarcasm off]

• Love 5

I just read this on a site I'm not familiar with, so I high-tailed it straight here to find out if the renewal is indeed true.  Well, bust my buttons and call me stooopid.  Never in a million years did I think that FOX would be that damn gullible to think that Crane can succeed as a character without Abbie Mills character as played by NB. To be honest, without Abbie, Crane is just a caricature.  Well, I will not participate in their lunacy.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I like the line in the linked article that says, "it will focus on the search for truth about the lives of Witnesses."  Um, shouldn't that be "life of Witness" since we're down to one?

Apparently the life of the Witness is to guide Ichabod Crane and then just randomly die, their mission apparently done.

I think both Ichabod and Abbie are great characters but I wouldn't want to see an Ichabod-only show or an Abbie-only show.  The strength of the show was always the two of them together, which is something clearly the various producers of the show and Fox never believed.

• Love 7

Sigh. This is crazy. I love Ichabod but without Abbie...it's pointless

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Sounds like they just expanded their world to be about a whole group of Witnesses.  These people are stupid. I hope Tom just gets his bank and walks

• Love 1

The only reason it got renewed is because they need to fill the spot American Idol left. The show is literally just filler now. Theyll probably get ok ratings for the first episode of the season from people who want to see how much of a train wreck it is, and then just drop off. What a waste. 

• Love 1

Nicole Beharie is in talks to potentially play T'Challa's love interest (or sister) in the upcoming Black Panther movie.  If she does, she's never coming back to SH - why would she?

On the twitter tvline feed there is a rabid fan there who claims Nicole brought the show down.  Um, in WHO'S world?  I wanted to drag her all over twitter.  I hope someone does.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if this should go here or the unpopular opinions thread, but I'm excited to see what direction the show will go in now.  I'll definitely be tuning in.  I watched the first two seasons and then completely skipped the third.  I just personally never really warmed to the Abbie character (also, the writing wasn't that great either) so I'm more than happy to see what the show can do without her in it. 

• Love 1

I am glad that Tom will get a steady paycheck out of this as he has always been supportive of Nicole. That is about the only nice thing I can say about the show getting renewed though......

• Love 6
(edited)
17 minutes ago, vanarnd1 said:

I am glad that Tom will get a steady paycheck out of this as he has always been supportive of Nicole. That is about the only nice thing I can say about the show getting renewed though......

He, and the cast and crew who still have a job. But it won't be thanks to me if they keep it next year, since for me this show has no sense and makes no sense without Abbie and the only thing I'm curious re:SH now is how low the ratings will sink. 

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 7

Well, this should be interesting.  Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but this just seems to be a bad idea all around.  I think FOX is underestimating how pissed off viewers were for killing Abbie, and I see it going even lower next season.  They must really be getting good tax breaks or something, because I don't see what they have to gain from this.

• Love 4