Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Dottie's Story

• Start Topic

How do some of these folks think they can get away with lying to the doctor when there's a camera recording their every bite? Glad Dottie got it together in the end.

Weird thing is that I couldn't see the 70 lb weight gain on her, or the 150 lb (or so) weight loss.

ETA: Looks like there's no forum for "Skin Tight". Amazingly, most of the Skin Tight people lost the weight without surgery. I've always wondered why Dr. Now jumps to perform surgery for patients who demonstrate that they can control their eating and lose 50 lbs on their own.

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 4

We have discussed that a lot in this forum and I learned why. The reason is they can lose 50 pounds on their own but trying to stick to that over a long time is very difficult to do. Usually they have 300 pounds to lose or more! Not easy by self control alone.  The surgery is a tool so they can be successful over the long term. Plus they tend to lose more in the beginning of the dieting. They have to stay on a strict diet over 2 years so he does the surgery to help them succeed.

the husband met her when she was well over 550 pounds and they had a baby. How come Dr Now never yelled at him for being an enabler? Maybe because she was mobile? It is so sad. I loved the part with the sister and the pizza! The sister was so right and that poor baby is going to be fat as well. The husband could have been a feeder type. He seemed nice enough but somewhat dumb.

• Love 15

Even though I know I shouldn't, I did feel a lot of sympathy towards Dottie. Having a severally disabled child that needs round the clock care for the duration of their lfe is a burden I just can't imagine shouldering. Granted not an adequate excuse to consume 6k calories a day and gain hundreds of lbs.

Can't believe she had a child at over 500 lbs.

Why no skin tight forum? I just want to say that the nipple placement on some of these surgeries is ridiculous. Why so high and close together? The guy last week looked like he had cross eyed nipples.

• Love 10

Lol at "cross eyed nipples". That was surgery by Dr Now. I've never been impressed with his plastic surgery work. You can tell that it's not his specialty.

Dottie, Dottie, Dottie.... soda in any form is NOT on Dr Now's diet plan. Canned green beans are nasty and putting a full bottle of salad dressing on an iceberg salad won't help your cause.

• Love 11

Thoughts of Cliff Huxtable wanting his creamy, cheesy salad dressing for his salad came to me as I watched Dottie put her salad dressing on her salad. None of that splash of lemon crap.

Dottie, having a child with a disability is a great excuse for you. What was your excuse before you had children?

• Love 6
 I just want to say that the nipple placement on some of these surgeries is ridiculous. Why so high and close together? The guy last week looked like he had cross eyed nipples.

OMG, I thought the same thing. They never seem to space them out normally. How hard is it to keep them in the original vicinity, only higher and tighter?

Glad I'm not the only one who was aghast at the "nipple placement."  I don't blame Tanya for heading to the other doctors for her boob lift/augmentation!  

I hope Dottie has the motivation and courage to continue losing weight.  Someone else on this show last year had those petal-like skin flaps on the side of their hips like she had.  That can't be comfortable.  

• Love 2

OMG, I thought the same thing. They never seem to space them out normally. How hard is it to keep them in the original vicinity, only higher and tighter?

I didn't see what they looked like, but I will add my 2 cents. I had a breast reduction years ago. The doctor, a plastic surgeon trained in the military on combat wounds, told me that my boobs were big (duh) and that he might have to take off the nipples and reattach them. So, if the nipples had to be reattached, I can see where it might be harder (and need someone who does this kind of surgery all of the time) to get them in the right location.  Fortunately, mine didn't have to be removed, but the doctor told me he had to spend a little time with the books to make sure he could do it.  I like Dr Now, but I don't see him hitting the books..

• Love 3

When they know the camera crew is coming they make a healthy meal. Dottie had the fish, salad and green beans. Then she drank a coke and ate a bag of chips. You KNOW when the cameras are not there she is not eating baked fish! 

According to Dr Now she was eating 30,000 calories a day to be 550 pounds and to gain 100 pounds more in a year! She needed the nutrition lessons at the beginning she truly was clueless as was her husband. I hope the baby doesn't turn out obese. The sister was right.

• Love 8

I felt a lot of sympathy for her, too. She has a lot to deal with. I also feel like she wasn't educated enough prior to trying to lose on her own - using salad dressing like that because she thinks "at least I'm eating a salad!" I feel like a few days with a nutritionist helping in her home would have set her on her way to success much more quickly. I honestly think she didn't have a concept of serving sizes. I wish her a lot of luck and hope she has a ton of success. She seemed like a big-hearted, kind person.

• Love 4

I never cease to be amazed by the nutritional ignorance of some of these people. I think they really believe they are "trying" when they eat a can of vegetables, a giant salad with cheese and ranch, two big portions of fish, and a bag of potato chips, washed down with a Coke of course. That is probably half of what they normally eat so they think it's okay. Portion sizes are crucial. They could probably lose weight eating anything they wanted, as long as it fit on a small plate. Just use a small plate, people! I've lost 15 lb in the last month and a half by making sure my meals are balanced and small enough to fit on our smaller plates. 

I will say this, though, I almost cried when we were introduced to her older son. I held my (thankfully healthy) baby a little tighter watching that. How awful for him and for the family to have to deal with that.

• Love 8

I think Dottie is probably the hardest working 650 pounder that I've ever seen on this show.  I had nothing but sympathy for her.  Yes, she uses her disabled child as an excuse, but I still have so much sympathy for her, as a fellow food addict.  I have often said that if I am going to concentrate on losing weight, I need everything else in my life to be running pretty smoothly. It takes so much of my energy just to focus on myself and what I'm eating that I can't handle any outside bumps. All Dottie's energy goes to her kids.  

It was disappointing that we didn't get to see more of her journey post-surgery. I am glad she got it together and hope she continues to follow the program.  She had "butt wings" like Charity.  Hopefully she can get those removed after she makes more progress.  

• Love 12

We have discussed that a lot in this forum and I learned why. The reason is they can lose 50 pounds on their own but trying to stick to that over a long time is very difficult to do. Usually they have 300 pounds to lose or more! Not easy by self control alone.  The surgery is a tool so they can be successful over the long term. Plus they tend to lose more in the beginning of the dieting. They have to stay on a strict diet over 2 years so he does the surgery to help them succeed.

the husband met her when she was well over 550 pounds and they had a baby. How come Dr Now never yelled at him for being an enabler? Maybe because she was mobile? It is so sad. I loved the part with the sister and the pizza! The sister was so right and that poor baby is going to be fat as well. The husband could have been a feeder type. He seemed nice enough but somewhat dumb.

The sister was awesome.  I truly wonder if Dottie's younger child would be malnourished as he seemed to eat bits and pieces of leftovers from Mom's meals. I just started yelling at the screen when Dottie had the full sugar on pop and chips as well when her husband served a salad with tons of shredded cheese and creamy dressing.  

I was able to see the changes at the end as she didn't seem as big but Dottie had a long road ahead in regards to her weight loss and really need surgery to get that excess fat/skin combo off her body.

I wish Dr. Now would have yelled at the husband. I don't think he gave a crap.

What happened to the older son? In the end you see Dottie, husband and little one go for a walk and they leave the older son at home? That didn't make sense to me.  Least they could have done is put him in a stroller/wheelchair to get some air.

• Love 3

Clearly Dottie is devoted to her kids, and takes good care of her disabled son, but my god she played the martyr card early and often! "I don't have time to diet, I have to take care of my kids" "I'm so stressed, I have to eat three pizzas and an entire chocolate cake" "I can't talk to you now, I have to feed my baby. My baby is hungry. Go away, my child is inches from starvation and must be fed! How can  you be so heartless?" There was a little dash of Penny there, loving the attention. ("oh dear, she's so brave. Her oldest is disabled, you know. She's such an attentive mother!"). Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that she loves her children and does her best for them, but she's in a pattern that was established years ago. She resents her pretty sister and sadly, she sabotages her own life as a result. I'm glad she got the surgery and I hope it helps her, but she needs therapy, and she needs to work with a nutritionist. Switch that soda for water and learn to make your own vinaigrette, which tastes better than any bottled dressing and is at least not terrible for you.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 16

We have discussed that a lot in this forum and I learned why. The reason is they can lose 50 pounds on their own but trying to stick to that over a long time is very difficult to do. Usually they have 300 pounds to lose or more! Not easy by self control alone.  The surgery is a tool so they can be successful over the long term. Plus they tend to lose more in the beginning of the dieting. They have to stay on a strict diet over 2 years so he does the surgery to help them succeed.

Ideally, they stay on a strict "diet" for the rest of their lives . . . They need to permanently change EVERYTHING about their relationship with food - amounts as well as choices.  I think I have heard Dr. Now refer to a diet that he gives them to follow, but I'm also hoping that they see a dietician or nutritionist to learn about healthy choices and portion control. 

For the first time on one of these shows, I could empathize with Dottie not being able to concentrate on losing weight when her disabled son was hospitalized.  To have to go through such an incredibly stressful situation AND lose her one coping mechanism (eating) would be too much to ask of most people.  I'm so glad that she got back on track, and I was hoping to see more of her journey. 

Getting pregnant and giving birth while being that size - how on earth does that happen???

• Love 10

I kept vacillating from being incredibly frustrated with Dottie to being very sympathetic. I was awaiting the childhood trauma that kicked off her weight gain and it was.....mom liked my sister better that me! Really? No abuse, just my sister was in pageants so she got attention. Oh sigh. 

Anyway, I was so sympathetic to having to take care of a baby and a 12 year old with CP. Didn't Dottie get any outside help at all? I assume that they either has insurance or got Medicaid for the child with CP. I always thought that the state provided home health aides to help out with the care. But I saw nothing and it made me wonder if they just didn't show it, or if she was indeed caring for him 24/7. If she is that for sure it must  be incredibly stressful. At the same time, lord have mercy, the food choices were some of the worst! Even when she was trying to comply with the diet on her own, squeezing half a bottle of salad dressing on a salad and then following up with two huge fish fillets that looked like they were  drowning in fat is not the road to success. Just the portion sizes had me aghast. Dr Now said she had to be eating 30,000 calories a day to achieve a weight gain of 100 pounds in a year. How is that even possible?

I actually thought this was going to be a 2 hour episode because she didn't start making progress until the last 10 minutes, so the ending just kind of left the audience hanging, despite a 150 pound loss. 

I am also surprised she was able to conceive and give birth at 500+ pounds. Mr. Poetic watched a few minutes of the show with me and he was most interested in the logistics in that regard.  

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 6

I don't know how she gave birth at 550 pounds, God Bless her Obstetric team! She said at LEAST 200 times in this episode "what I have to deal with" "what I have to deal with" it was constant. I hope they do a follow-up on her.

Yes, I felt terrible about no attention from her mom as a child and her disabled son. Does he go to school or anything? Does he just lay in the chair all day?  Are there any home therapists coming to work a little with him? He obviously has some cognitive ability and can learn to communicate. It was not about him so who knows? He looked terrible on that breathing tube. I have a disabled son as well but compared to her son my son is much higher functioning. I did have him in diapers until he was 6 and it's tough. 

I did find the husband to be really odd. He must have been an enabler but we never saw Dr. Now give him the enabler speech. He didn't seem to be the brightest bulb. He did love her though and he was kind of sweet. 

• Love 3

According to Dr Now she was eating 30,000 calories a day to be 550 pounds and to gain 100 pounds more in a year!

Thought I didn't hear that correctly. That many calories doesn't register in my brain because it seems like there would be no time during the day to do anything but eat. Then again, I'm thinking of regular, home-cooked healthy food rather than the super-high density junky fast food that most morbidly obese folks tend to live on. I know we've talked about this before, but it still boggles the mind how people can afford that much take-out.

• Love 6

It is mind boggling. But if you consider a typical Large fast food meal to have about 6,000 calories- maybe 5 cheeseburgers and 2 large fries and have that 5 times. But I think her soda consumption possibly added another 5,000 per day. That  medium pizzas and a brownie cake "dinner" was probably 10,000 that she consumed right there. Do that 3 times and there you go!

I had to laugh about your husband wondering about the logistics! I did too! She did seem like she could move her body around pretty good for being over 600 pounds.

Why did she do all the driving? She always what at the wheel, it was kind of strange especially the way she would have to shove herself into the car, which they showed at least 10 times.

• Love 6

It is mind boggling. But if you consider a typical Large fast food meal to have about 6,000 calories- maybe 5 cheeseburgers and 2 large fries and have that 5 times. But I think her soda consumption possibly added another 5,000 per day. That  medium pizzas and a brownie cake "dinner" was probably 10,000 that she consumed right there. Do that 3 times and there you go!

I had to laugh about your husband wondering about the logistics! I did too! She did seem like she could move her body around pretty good for being over 600 pounds.

Why did she do all the driving? She always what at the wheel, it was kind of strange especially the way she would have to shove herself into the car, which they showed at least 10 times.

(bolded by me, above)

I must confess, I've never seen the back taken off (or completely reclined, whatever it was) in a car.  As disturbing as that was to see, it seemed pretty ingenious too.

I was wondering how she managed to turn the steering wheel until I saw the set up.

I'm sorry she has a disabled child. Really sorry.  Surely she must be eligible for some in home health aid assistance?  That would free up some of her time so she could concentrate on getting herself healthy.  She's already starting off her youngest child  to have clogged arteries by the time he's 5.

I wonder why Dr. Now doesn't have any of these patients keep a food log?  It astounds me how they truly think (unless they're pathological liars) that they are eating small portions of healthy food, and not cheating.

• Love 2

I also noticed that the seats in the front of the van were flat, including the driver's seat. At first I thought it was for the camera, then I realized that it must have been the oly way she could fit into the seat. How was she able to drive with no back support? That has to take it's toll on her back

• Love 3

I've said it before and I'll say it again: how do you physically even have sex at that size? And then be healthy enough to conceive? I would think your cycle's would be extremely erratic at that point.

• Love 4

I've said it before and I'll say it again: how do you physically even have sex at that size? And then be healthy enough to conceive? I would think your cycle's would be extremely erratic at that point.

Oh....there are all kind of ways people can contort their bodies to have sex.  That sounds bad, I know. But I've seen pictures. :)

• Love 5

I felt quite a bit of empathy for Dottie, having to care for a child with a disability. It made me tear up. Her husband clearly loves her, but I fear he will continue to enable her and she will gain the weight back. I understand the stress of having a child with a disability must be difficult, but she weighed 350 pounds BEFORE he was born, when he was in her early 20's. So, she clearly already had issues before he was even born. That just pushed her food addiction over the edge.

She looked so uncomfortable with those hips, and how she couldn't get through the door at the grocery store. It actually broke my heart for her, even though I KNOW she got that way be eating too much. I'm glad she finally realized that she needed to get better in order to take care of her son.

Did they say how old her husband is? He looked like he was late 40's/ early 50's, which would make him about 15-20 years older than her (she is 34).

I was shocked that she had a baby at 500+ pounds. I honestly didn't think it was very possible to get pregnant at that size.

• Love 1

They are such a tease!!!  We seem to be getting closer and closer to another Penny but then at the last minute these people surprise us. (Which I'm glad). 

Also interesting that every person on this season has been fairly mobile, I believe everyone has even driven their own vehicle?

Not sure how she thought she was going to fit through the door on that motorized chair though at the grocery store.... especially when you're well aware that you have to turn sidewalks to walk through it the first time.

I also wish they would start the months right when they get surgery.  I don't want to see a year of them making excuses although I guess it's good to see once in awhile.

At one point a 'babysitter' did come over, which to me looked like a home health aid so I think they come sometimes. 

And I get why Dr Now wants to admit them immediately but I kinda side with Dottie on that one... how is she suppose to set up care for her child that fast?  Obviously she did do it the 2nd time around but it makes me wonder if that's more for tv than anything.  These people don't ever come with overnight bags. 

(bolded by me, above)

I must confess, I've never seen the back taken off (or completely reclined, whatever it was) in a car.  As disturbing as that was to see, it seemed pretty ingenious too.

I was wondering how she managed to turn the steering wheel until I saw the set up.

I'm sorry she has a disabled child. Really sorry.  Surely she must be eligible for some in home health aid assistance?  That would free up some of her time so she could concentrate on getting herself healthy.  She's already starting off her youngest child  to have clogged arteries by the time he's 5.

I wonder why Dr. Now doesn't have any of these patients keep a food log?  It astounds me how they truly think (unless they're pathological liars) that they are eating small portions of healthy food, and not cheating.

I am sure she has some State help. It is available if you apply for it and I am sure they helped her to apply when he was born. The thing is though she KEPT saying "I am the only one that knows how to care for my child properly" "I am the ONLY one!" and that sort of thing. I would think that she can also join some type of Respite program where they will watch the child while you do other things. There is help but she is the primary caregiver of course.  Of course if she is dead...and she did say the boy gets upset if she is not around which I can imagine he is very bonded to her. 

And I get why Dr Now wants to admit them immediately but I kinda side with Dottie on that one... how is she suppose to set up care for her child that fast?  Obviously she did do it the 2nd time around but it makes me wonder if that's more for tv than anything.  These people don't ever come with overnight bags.

I think that when he says he is going to admit them that day to control their food intake, it's Dr Now voicing his frustration with them not complying and saying, if you don't behave I'm going to lock you up! I'm sure that's not the way it really works, as most people need a bit of time to make arrangements before a long hospital stay.

They are such a tease!!!  We seem to be getting closer and closer to another Penny but then at the last minute these people surprise us. (Which I'm glad). 

Also interesting that every person on this season has been fairly mobile, I believe everyone has even driven their own vehicle?

I also wish they would start the months right when they get surgery.  I don't want to see a year of them making excuses although I guess it's good to see once in awhile.

At one point a 'babysitter' did come over, which to me looked like a home health aid so I think they come sometimes. 

And I get why Dr Now wants to admit them immediately but I kinda side with Dottie on that one... how is she suppose to set up care for her child that fast?  Obviously she did do it the 2nd time around but it makes me wonder if that's more for tv than anything.  These people don't ever come with overnight bags. 

Not sure how she thought she was going to fit through the door on that motorized chair though at the grocery store.... especially when you're well aware that you have to turn sidewalks to walk through it the first time.

I know! I said the same thing to myself! I hope the producers of the show didn't "make" her try to ride that cart through the doorway.  Maybe that's what she meant by "that was embarrassing".  Maybe she wasn't aware of how far off the sides of the cart her body was extended.

• Love 2

Lol... Just saying, Dottie wasn't the one doing the contorting.

No, probably not.  But I'm not enjoying the mental pictures. :)

I am sure she has some State help. It is available if you apply for it and I am sure they helped her to apply when he was born. The thing is though she KEPT saying "I am the only one that knows how to care for my child properly" "I am the ONLY one!" and that sort of thing. I would think that she can also join some type of Respite program where they will watch the child while you do other things. There is help but she is the primary caregiver of course.  Of course if she is dead...and she did say the boy gets upset if she is not around which I can imagine he is very bonded to her. 

Well, who knows what she may be telling him, or even saying, as she's taking care of him, and not aware that he is actively listening..."No one takes care of you like mama"...."No one will be as nice to you as mama", etc.

• Love 3

Gotta hand it to Dottie, hauling all that weight around and then slinging her son (60 pounds?) over her shoulder and carrying him across the room. Kinda makes all those "I can't stand up!" people look pretty wimpy by comparison.

It can't be legal to drive with no back to your car seat, can it? Doesn't seem safe.

I thought her husband was a sweetheart, but he's going to love her straight to death. Three pizzas and that slab of chocolate goo for three people? Yowza.

I am beginning to believe that a big part of the problem is that people no longer know what a normal portion size looks like. Restaurant portions are ludicrous, television ads show huge amounts of food...I like to think I'm reasonably health aware and I'm often shocked at calorie counts sometimes...one Oreo is 70 calories? one caramel is 30?

When "super size" has become the new normal, it's no wonder we have a problem.

• Love 9

Gotta hand it to Dottie, hauling all that weight around and then slinging her son (60 pounds?) over her shoulder and carrying him across the room. Kinda makes all those "I can't stand up!" people look pretty wimpy by comparison.

It can't be legal to drive with no back to your car seat, can it? Doesn't seem safe.

I thought her husband was a sweetheart, but he's going to love her straight to death. Three pizzas and that slab of chocolate goo for three people? Yowza.

I am beginning to believe that a big part of the problem is that people no longer know what a normal portion size looks like. Restaurant portions are ludicrous, television ads show huge amounts of food...I like to think I'm reasonably health aware and I'm often shocked at calorie counts sometimes...one Oreo is 70 calories? one caramel is 30?

When "super size" has become the new normal, it's no wonder we have a problem.

I was always taught that a portion size should about the size of your fist.

But you are right. In some restaurants, you are presented with a mountain of food. I noticed when I was in Europe a few months ago the portion size was much much smaller and no doggie bags are offered. It actually made much more sense. They gve you enough to really enjoy the food, but not enough to make you feel sick because you are so stuffed. And don't get me started on all you can eat buffets. Just the concept grosses me out. . 

• Love 2
I know! I said the same thing to myself! I hope the producers of the show didn't "make" her try to ride that cart through the doorway.

Oh, they totally did make her try that. The "awkward visit to the grocery store where the big fatty buys cake and soda" is part of the formula for this show. If she had been on the mobility scooter in the past and attempting to exit the store, surely she'd have known she couldn't fit through. I hate those grocery store "visits." I think it's the most demeaning part of the show for the participants -- even more so than the lingering camera shots on their flesh during the obligatory "here's the gross naked fatty trying to take a shower."

I really liked Dottie's husband who seemed like a normal guy compared to the other seeming weirdos who marry morbidly obese woman (hi, Edgar!). And the way she slung her son over her shoulder like that?! Dang. Take note, Penny (yes, there's a theme here - I will never get over the awfulness of Penny and Edgar).

I realize that Dottie's oldest is disabled, and therefore requires an incredible amount of attention. But we saw her showering him with kisses many times, where time with the younger son seemed much more limited. I hope Dottie isn't so distracted by her disabled child that the younger is neglected - else, she'll be repeating the exact same experience she had growing up that led to her problems, with her pretty sister getting all the attention.

I also couldn't help but wonder if Dottie's weight during her first pregnancy had some effect on her oldest's CP status (granted, I have very little knowledge of CP but know that it is often caused by abnormal factors / complications in a pregnancy -- I'm guessing morbid obesity is definitely considered a complication?)

I was distracted during the second half of the episode, but did they show Dottie exercising at all after surgery? She'd make a great candidate for an exercise routine. She was quite mobile, and the way she hoisted her son over her shoulder cavewoman style was impressive indeed. She could also get herself into her van pretty well (I noticed she did not wear a seat belt), so she's got some strength under there. She'd probably take to exercise much better than some of the other people profiles on the show that were basically absolutely, 100% sedentary. 

Edited by HelloOutThere
  • Love 2

wonder why Dr. Now doesn't have any of these patients keep a food log?  It astounds me how they truly think (unless they're pathological liars) that they are eating small portions of healthy food, and not cheating.

I have never understood why he doesn't require it.  I also don't understand why he doesn't insist on several visits to a therapist first since during the aftercare segments he almost always sends them to a therapist. It just seems like sometimes this is backward. He should also insist that they meet with a nutritionist during that month or so when he sends them off to lose weight on their on.  

I had a friend who had some type of gastric reduction in 2000.  She spent several months in therapy before it as well as talking to a nutritionist on a weekly basis.  She is a very bright woman, but I think she inherited a tendency to be a little heavier than average.

Unfortunately she later married a giant of a man who eats a lot; she has re-gained all she lost.  I find it very sad.  

I am glad Dottie seemed to get things turned around; I was not optimistic at first. 

• Love 1

It's my belief that there's a lot more going on in terms of nutritional education and psychological support for these patients than they show in these episodes. There's no way Medicaid or the state equivalent is shelling out enormous sums for these procedures without a bunch of hurdles to jump and TLC isn't paying for a month of hospitalization, I guarantee it. They have Duggars to support.

• Love 17

Slinging is right. I thought for sure she was going to drop him.

I have cerebral palsy (admittedly a mild case, compared to Dottie's son) and I was flabbergasted that she just....tossed him over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes. And kind of threw him into that recliner. She filled up so much of the hall that I was worried her son's head would bang against the wall. It really is a disservice to him that he doesn't receive home therapy/home health care. Just, to see and interact with another person.

When Dottie bellowed repeatedly "I'm the only one that can take care of him!" I was just baffled. Teach your husband, perhaps? I know that he works, but in so far as Daniel's evening feedings, etc. The husband seemed like a tender soul, I'm sure he'd be fine.

I could not believe when Dottie's husband dumped a whole bag of cheese into a salad. A whole bag of cheese! You know that shoving a whole mountain of cheese with a lettuce foundation into your face is terrible for you. I don't care how ignorant you claim to be, you know that! And when Dottie warbled (re pizza) "Well, my kid's gotta eat." Uh, your kid is two, if he's chowing down on whatever pizza shrapnel escapes your maw, he's not eating, really. It's not for him.

When Dottie was tucking into the brownie, the voice over said, "My sister doesn't know what I'm dealing with. Food helps me cope with that." I have heard a lot of messed up ideology from this show, but this really made me see red. Food isn't support. You don't ultimately feel better. Better isn't full! What about things like reaching out in the disabled community? Research? Communicating with the doctors/finding a specialist, even just to ask questions. You're not coping, lady. No.

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 10

I realize that Dottie's oldest is disabled, and therefore requires an incredible amount of attention. But we saw her showering him with kisses many times, where time with the younger son seemed much more limited. I hope Dottie isn't so distracted by her disabled child that the younger is neglected - else, she'll be repeating the exact same experience she had growing up that led to her problems, with her pretty sister getting all the attention.

I also couldn't help but wonder if Dottie's weight during her first pregnancy had some effect on her oldest's CP status (granted, I have very little knowledge of CP but know that it is often caused by abnormal factors / complications in a pregnancy -- I'm guessing morbid obesity is definitely considered a complication?)

I was distracted during the second half of the episode, but did they show Dottie exercising at all after surgery? She'd make a great candidate for an exercise routine. She was quite mobile, and the way she hoisted her son over her shoulder cavewoman style was impressive indeed. She could also get herself into her van pretty well (I noticed she did not wear a seat belt), so she's got some strength under there. She'd probably take to exercise much better than some of the other people profiles on the show that were basically absolutely, 100% sedentary. 

I always thought that CP is usually caused by lack of oxygen to the brain- I always thought it occurred  during the birthing process. It is essentially a brain injury to a developing brain. However I looked it up and it can also occur prenatally:

Every case of Cerebral Palsy is unique to the individual. This is due in part by the type of injury, extent of injury, and the timing of injury to the developing brain. The brain damage that causes Cerebral Palsy is a result of either:

Prenatal disturbance of brain cell migration – genetic and environmental factors disturb brain cell migration as cells move to their appropriate location during brain development.

Prenatal poor myelination (insulation) of developing nerve cell fibers – brain function is impeded when poor myelin provides an inadequate protective covering over nerve cells that aid in the transmission.

Perinatal brain cell death – events in the birthing process that rupture blood vessels or starve oxygen to the brain.

Postnatal non-functional or inappropriate connections (synapses) between brain cells – trauma, infections, and asphyxia that damage connections developed in the brain.

Slinging is right. I thought for sure she was going to drop him.

That poor child looked like a sack of potatoes she hoisted over her shoulder. And when she put him in the chair (more like dropped him), I worried he was injured.  After all these years of lifting him, I would think she'd have developed some strength in her arms to handle him more gently.

When Dottie was tucking into the brownie, the voice over said, "My sister doesn't know what I'm dealing with. Food helps me cope with that." I have heard a lot of messed up ideology from this show, but this really made me see red. Food isn't support. You don't ultimately feel better. Better isn't full! What about things like reaching out in the disabled community? Research? Communicating with the doctors/finding a specialist, even just to ask questions. You're not coping, lady. No.

She is coping, because she's a food addict.  That's her only tool, it does make her feel better, at least while it's happening.  All the suggestions you have make great sense for someone who isn't in the throes of food addiction. 

That poor child looked like a sack of potatoes she hoisted over her shoulder. And when she put him in the chair (more like dropped him), I worried he was injured.  After all these years of lifting him, I would think she'd have developed some strength in her arms to handle him more gently.

Dottie impressed the hell out of me by being able to do that on top of carrying her own 650 pounds.  I topped out at 380 lbs and wouldn't have been able to do that.  It's clear she's a loving, conscientious caregiver, within the limits of what she can physically do.  My heart broke for her, having to lean against the fridge while she was standing at the stove cooking dinner, or having to lean against the recliner for support as she tube fed her boy.  I've been there, although not as heavy, and not with the burden of her challenges with her child. I will be really interested if there is a follow up for her.  

• Love 4

I thought she might be favoring the disabled child a bit because the younger boy had his father right there. And perhaps the father is more interested in/capable of caring for the younger one than the older one.

Getting pregnant and giving birth while being that size - how on earth does that happen???

My mother was always big; I mean huge. I remember seeing a picture of her in a college yearbook and she was twice the size of the other girls in her sorority. She still ended up getting married for a 2nd time (to her divorce lawyer!) and having 3 more kids. It happens. : )

She's 85 now and just got under 200 lbs for the first time since she was a teen. She's thrilled.

• Love 4

When they know the camera crew is coming they make a healthy meal. Dottie had the fish, salad and green beans. Then she drank a coke and ate a bag of chips. You KNOW when the cameras are not there she is not eating baked fish! 

According to Dr Now she was eating 30,000 calories a day to be 550 pounds and to gain 100 pounds more in a year! She needed the nutrition lessons at the beginning she truly was clueless as was her husband. I hope the baby doesn't turn out obese. The sister was right.

They gave her a diet to follow - no education required!!!  The salad dressing may have been fat free, I think I saw the "fat free" design through the pixilation, BUT STILL!  Also, I was yelling at my screen (and my husband who was busy on his phone) when she popped open that coke.  I was yelling "cutting out soda is the easiest thing to do....quick hun, watch me NOT drink a coke...you see that, I'm not drinking a coke! See how easy that was?"

I kind of thought the sister was going to come in and say something like, "here, let me take care of the kids and you go get ready for your surgery." Instead she seemed to imply that the surgery would solve any of her problems (which she's right).

Clearly Dottie is devoted to her kids, and takes good care of her disabled son, but my god she played the martyr card early and often! "I don't have time to diet, I have to take care of my kids" "I'm so stressed, I have to eat three pizzas and an entire chocolate cake" "I can't talk to you now, I have to feed my baby. My baby is hungry. Go away, my child is inches from starvation and must be fed! How can  you be so heartless?" There was a little dash of Penny there, loving the attention. ("oh dear, she's so brave. Her oldest is disabled, you know. She's such an attentive mother!"). Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that she loves her children and does her best for them, but she's in a pattern that was established years ago. She resents her pretty sister and sadly, she sabotages her own life as a result. I'm glad she got the surgery and I hope it helps her, but she needs therapy, and she needs to work with a nutritionist. Switch that soda for water and learn to make your own vinaigrette, which tastes better than any bottled dressing and is at least not terrible for you.

She's really doing God's work by taking care of her son, but  she just sops that attention/sympathy from others up with a biscuit, doesn't she?  GOOD LORD!  I can't even imagine what her day-to-day life must be like and I too held my healthy boys a little closer today, but she totally reminds me of my sister who will go out of her way to throw a kick-ass party with all kinds of food, but by the time the party starts, she acts like a total bitch and its a total shit show (for the next three days) because of how hard she had to work.  I hate people like that.  Do it if you want to do it, but if it's too much for you, hire someone to do it and quit your bitching.

It was our speculation that hubby had a DUI! 

Oh....there are all kind of ways people can contort their bodies to have sex.  That sounds bad, I know. But I've seen pictures. :)

EWWWEEEEE 

I could not believe when Dottie's husband dumped a whole bag of cheese into a salad. A whole bag of cheese! You know that shoving a whole mountain of cheese with a lettuce foundation into your face is terrible for you. I don't care how ignorant you claim to be, you know that! And when Dottie warbled (re pizza) "Well, my kid's gotta eat." Uh, your kid is two, if he's chowing down on whatever pizza shrapnel escapes your maw, he's not eating, really. It's not for him.

When Dottie was tucking into the brownie, the voice over said, "My sister doesn't know what I'm dealing with. Food helps me cope with that." I have heard a lot of messed up ideology from this show, but this really made me see red. Food isn't support. You don't ultimately feel better. Better isn't full! What about things like reaching out in the disabled community? Research? Communicating with the doctors/finding a specialist, even just to ask questions. You're not coping, lady. No.

Maybe he was  thinking that cheese is low carb, so it's ok? And its a salad...

Also, I will say that for us fat people who get bariatric surgery, dealing with your feelings without eating is the hardest part.  I know I have tried in the past year to "eat my problems" and it doesn't even feel good or soothing even for a second.  Food doesn't even taste the same, and if you try to binge, you might as well do it in the bathroom so you can immediately throw up. 

One last thing as some mentioned the fact that we didn't see most of her post-surgery journey...did you notice on S1 they never made any of the people play the "lose X number of pounds and you will be approved for surgery" game?  It was specifically mentioned in Melissa's journey because she said that the last bariatric surgeon told her she had to lose 100 pounds before he would help her (I think she was like 700, wasn't she?), but Dr Now would do it, uh, now.  My bariatric surgeon also didn't play that game or any games for that matter once my insurance was approved--any hoops I had to jump through were for insurance requirements (like a psych screening).  The surgeons at the Cleveland clinic wanted me to take this $400 nutrition class and get all these pre-op tests before even talking about scheduling, so I'm like "um no thanks, I'll go with the guy who will get it done."  And here I am 1 1/2 years later and "normal" on the BMI table.

• Love 2

You've clearly never battled a food addiction. It absolutely DOES make you feel better, at least in the short term. Food is an incredible stress reliever for those who use it as a coping mechanism. I've worked very hard to develop other coping strategies, but when things go fubar and I'm stressed or anxious, I know a trip through a drive-through or an ooey gooey brownie would almost instantly lower my anxiety level. It's better than Xanax. I don't do that anymore, but it's still my very first inclination when things go sideways. I have to stop and think and make myself find another way to cope. Most of the time I manage.

• Love 9

This was incredibly sad.  At least Dottie was aware she was using food like a drug.  I hope she helps her youngest son eat healthier, even if she can't.

It was convenient how her sister was there right when the food was delivered.

• Love 1

I felt a lot of sympathy for her, too. She has a lot to deal with. I also feel like she wasn't educated enough prior to trying to lose on her own - using salad dressing like that because she thinks "at least I'm eating a salad!" I feel like a few days with a nutritionist helping in her home would have set her on her way to success much more quickly. I honestly think she didn't have a concept of serving sizes. I wish her a lot of luck and hope she has a ton of success. She seemed like a big-hearted, kind person.

an in-house nutritionist is a great idea.  I wondered this too.  Wouldn't the in-house education be more cost effective than admitting someone to a hospital for a month?  Especially in Dottie's case when she needed to be with her sons?  

This was incredibly sad.  At least Dottie was aware she was using food like a drug.  I hope she helps her youngest son eat healthier, even if she can't.

It was convenient how her sister was there right when the food was delivered.

it's possible food gets delivered quite often.   

• Love 1

I have to be honest and admit that this point pissed me off a bit.  I have lousy hormones, trouble conceiving, etc.  and I am normal sized and otherwise healthy.  You always read about how being overweight decreases fertility, and messes with your hormones, then somebody who weighs 500 pounds gets pregnant.  I liked Dottie, sympathized with her, but this point (no fault of Dottie's) just bugged.

• Love 3