Type keyword(s) to search

Mercy Street - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What was the name of the prison Papa Green was being sent to? I missed it's name! I want to know because I recently watched a "Mysteries at the Museum/Castle" episode that involved a civil war prison that I want to know if it might be the same one. i can't remeber it's name though. It involved a bunch of prisoners gettig ill, and a man who was in prison for apparently being in cahoots with those who planned Lincoln's assassination. He ended up saving them all with his med knowledge after the prison doctor had died (he requested all floors to be cleaned with a solution, all sheets to be washed, and basically gave the prisoners stuff that would make them sweat (and vomit) away the illness. He was eventually released from the prison after the prisoners and prison staff petitioned the president to basically pardon him.

Was wondering if that's the same prison Green is heading to.

I think that Papa Green was being sent to the Old Capitol Prison, once used as the Capitol of the U.S. (when the present building was being repaired after the War of 1812).

The Civil War prison that you remember was called Fort Jefferson, in the Dry Tortugas, west of Key West.  And the doctor was Samuel Mudd.  There is still controversy about how much Mudd might have been involved in the Lincoln assassination, but he was definitely the doctor that treated Booth's leg, broken when he jumped to the stage in Ford's Theater. 

I've been hate watching this show for the last few episodes, but I really enjoyed this. Sad show is almost over. The show took some dramaturgical turns I did not expect, and surprised me... Yay show!

I thought frank wasn't only moved by aurelia being there, he looked around and saw the people waving flags, children, pregnant woman. That interested me. I hadn't seen that before. I fully expect he will say it's because of Aurelia but the shots of him looking to me were deliberate.

I als loved that foster went over mean doctors head and we got to see it! I mean that almost never happens in scripted drama, witness barrow and his scheming in early DA seasons. It was good to see mean doctors face as he realized his plot had backfired and he might be out of work.

And, I loved that despite the set up, in the end Aurelia didn't just miss her family, ugh I hate that we just missed each other trope. The late great playwright August wilson used it in "joe turners come and gone" and the first time I saw that play I was so irritate the way the character never ever left a message for her that I missed a lot of plot and had to see it again,

I also loved that the insecure son changed his mind when he saw his mama crying and for w first time understood that stepping up means sacrifice.

And I loved that the dying man never learned the truth about his wife, and that the wife didn't show up.

I saw character growth everywhere and loved it.

• Love 1

No. I meant a key character in Maeve Binchy's book "Circle of Friends." I don't think she figures much in the eponymous movie, if at all. Bunty was her childhood nickname.

Bunty is from a book series I loved-- the George Felse mysteries written by Ellis Peters.  Bunty is George's wife.

A detective novel series by Ellis Peters that ran for 13 novels, 1951-1978. The series has a contemporary setting, with policeman George Felse and his son Dominic sharing the limelight; which one gets how much of the limelight varies from novel to novel. Over the course of the series, George rises from a village bobby to a Superintendent of CID and Dominic grows from a small boy to a self-assured young man.

Fallen into the Pit    ’51

Death and the Joyful Woman    ’62

Flight of a Witch    ’64

A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs  ’65 (aka Who Lies Here?)

The Piper on the Mountain    ’66

Black is the Colour of My True Love’s Heart    ’67

The Grass-Widow’s Tale    ’68

The House of Green Turf    ’69

Morning Raga    ’69

The Knocker on Death’s Door    ’70

Death To the Landlords!    ’72

City of Gold and Shadows    ’73

Rainbow’s End    ’78

• Love 1

And yay for more Phoster! Josh R. And MEW have good chemistry. I'm happy that Mary x Jed is currently a slow-burn thing.

Me too!  I am all over this story line and my only complaint this episode is that there wasn't enough of them.  I believe Mary and the soldier/traitor in the hospital was a way to put this story line of Mary's dead husband to rest.  I really didn't want to hear about it in season 2 so hopefully all that guilt she was feeling is gone and she can move on to a new love interest!

Huh. So they didn't kill Lincoln. What a nail biter.

Well we all new what the end result was gonna be so I think this story line was to flesh out Frank's character a bit.  He had a change of heart at the very end when he saw Emma there but I can't imagine seeing her with the Chaplain is gonna sit well with him (since she broke her promise about meeting at 4pm) and all.

I agree I don't think Silas is dead.  If the story wanted to end his character we would have seen him die but to see him struggling and suffering makes me think he'll be around next season.  Especially now that Aurelia will be around next season with her son. 

All in all great show and I look forward to next year.

• Love 1

^ that's the island they've had mystery specials and stuff on!

What was the name of the prison Papa Green was being sent to? I missed it's name! I want to know because I recently watched a "Mysteries at the Museum/Castle" episode that involved a civil war prison that I want to know if it might be the same one. i can't remeber it's name though. It involved a bunch of prisoners gettig ill, and a man who was in prison for apparently being in cahoots with those who planned Lincoln's assassination. He ended up saving them all with his med knowledge after the prison doctor had died (he requested all floors to be cleaned with a solution, all sheets to be washed, and basically gave the prisoners stuff that would make them sweat (and vomit) away the illness. He was eventually released from the prison after the prisoners and prison staff petitioned the president to basically pardon him.

Was wondering if that's the same prison Green is heading to.

If they want to keep it historically real, Papa G. would be sent to either Point Look Out or to Fort McHenry, both located in Maryland.

I would have been really interested if they pulled a Quentin Tarantino and just changed history. Not that I want Lincoln to die, but it would have been an interesting turn. 

I really like this show, and I am going to be sad to see the end of the season. My mom is a big Civil War fan, and I have been pestering her to watch it for weeks, and now she is finally giving in!

• Love 1

OK, I didn't catch Aurelia saying she was from Roanoke Island. Yes, a MUCH smaller place than the entire state of North Carolina but hardly without its problems re how Samuel could have travelled there, found Aurelia's mother+son,  then spirited them away from the slaveholder's place AND gotten them OFF the island to the mainland,etc.

Yes, there WERE women Confederate spies but I'm not sure Alice Green would have what it would take to do that or anything else useful for the organization.

• Love 1

If they want to keep it historically real, Papa G. would be sent to either Point Look Out or to Fort McHenry, both located in Maryland.

Never mind. I didn't read all the previous posts. Carry on.

Edited by hoosiermommy
(edited)
What was the point of the chloroform scheme?  Hale is just an asshole who doesn't want to anesthetize people before hacking them to pieces?

What I got from it is that the soldier Dr. Hale was performing the surgery on was either a Confederate or a traitor (I can't remember which) and he doesn't feel that they should get any special treatment.  Now of course anesthesia isn't special treatment it's a necessity but he felt they should just suck it up and take it.   He said something along those lines when talking to Dr. Foster about it.....about this being a Union hospital and why should we waste specific medications on someone not dedicated to the cause or something like that.

So yeah basically he's an ass BUT for t.v. purposes he's an entertaining ass.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 2

Dr. Foster thinks chloroform is necessary for most surgeries, including amputations.  Dr. Hale is of the "here, bite this leather belt" variety.  Hale thinks that if there's no chloroform, Foster will either fail as a surgeon or leave the hospital.  Either way, Hale will get teh exec position.  But, yeah, Hale is an a-hole.

Coming back January 22, 2017!

Season 2 continues to explore life in the chaotic city of Alexandria, the complicated interpersonal dynamics of Dr. Foster, Nurse Mary and the Mansion House staff, the increasingly precarious position of the Green family and the changing world of the burgeoning black population. The second season will take the viewer closer to the war and into the halls of Confederate power, all set against the intensifying war, starting with the Seven Days’ Battle and culminating with Antietam.

• Love 2

In the Season 2 premiere, the staff comes together to save one of their own; a former slave-turned-abolitionist causes a rift between Foster and Mary; the Green family is in disarray; Emma and Frank find romance; and Samuel plans to reunite with Aurelia.

On 26/2/2016 at 0:08 PM, Blergh said:

Yes, there WERE women Confederate spies but I'm not sure Alice Green would have what it would take to do that or anything else useful for the organization.

We're about to find out, but I assume she will be doing small things or acting as courier for the Knights of the Golden Circle.

I struggled with this last season and if I continue with the second, I think it will be to hate watch.  The Alice character makes me stabby. I am no expert on southern dialects, but of all the actors, the woman playing Alice has the most fake, junior high school drama club level "Ah do declah!" accent. Did she prepare for the role by watching Foghorn Leghorn cartoons? 

Hale and his nurse continue to be the Civil War's rendition of Frank "Ferret Face" Burns and Hot Lips Houllihan.  If they are supposed to be comedic relief or mustache twirling villains, they fail on both accounts IMO.  

I love US history and especially the Civil War era. But this production has just bored and annoyed me.  Maybe I just don't like the actors in the major roles enough?  Maybe I find the anachronistic dialogue too jarring? Whatever it is, I don't think I'll last the entire run.

• Love 3

I had no idea the show was returning, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it on my DVR tonight! I was surprised that I remembered most of the characters and where several of the plot lines had left off last season.

I agree on the southern dialects – they sound extremely fake.

I liked the addition of Miss Jenkins, and I wonder if nurse finney will die of smallpox or miraculously recover? 

Interesting and a bit creepy to see that rudamentary blood transfusion! 

I think Mary may have typhoid from nursing that soldier (the one asking for an orange). 

Boy, that rotten steward is as hard to kill as Rasputin! "Am I in Hell?" :-) His confession was something. Geeze!

Poor Samuel. I don't think he will be able to keep lying about Aurelia and her son.

I'm glad the show is back despite Alice and her horrible accent.

• Love 3

I too was surprised at how much I remembered from the first season.  I'm happy it's back.  

I really wanted the steward to be dead.  Despicable!  I enjoyed the introductions of Charlotte Jenkins and Allan Pinkerton.  Blown away by the transfusion.  I want to like Hale because I liked the actor in "Bloodline," but I don't think that's possible without destroying the character he's been playing.

• Love 1

I thought the show was slow in the beginning of last season but then it really grew on me by the end.  Surprised at how much I liked it by the end of the season.  Was happy to see that it was renewed and has returned.  

Mary clearly has caught typhoid, although I doubt she will die, because she is the show's lead female.  I am still liking her interaction with Dr. Foster.

I thought the writing for Nurse Hastings and the other doctor was a bit odd.  Last season they were portrayed as the evil archenemies of Foster and Mary.  This season, it's like it's acknowledged that they lost that battle, and now they are only there for comic relief.  I didn't find his self-absorption or his one-liners that funny.  I'd rather just see them gone.

I'm liking the new abolitionist, wondering what it means for Samuel that Aurelia's husband (?) has returned, and hoping we see Aurelia again soon.

Wanted to see more of the chaplain, he was barely in the episode.  Frank's role has been really expanded this season.  I am curious about where his relationship with Emma goes now that she knows he has been lying to her.

I still don't care about any of the other Greens.  Alice's role is pointless now that Tom is dead, because I really can't take her seriously with that accent as being part of that South Will Rise secret organisation.  Couldn't care less about the dad and his oath, the son and his insecurity, or the mom.

My complaint about this show is that everything still looks really really dark to me.  I get that it's the 1860s and we're not going to have halogen lights for indoor scenes, but couldn't they make the natural light better?  Why does everything have to happen in the dark.  I watch online and turn the brightness on my computer screen all the way up and I still have trouble making out details sometimes.

• Love 1

Anyone else notice that the actress (Patina Miller) playing the person setting up the small pox quarantine area also plays Daisy on Madam Secretary?  Guess it's a good thing MS moved to the 9pm time slot so they don't compete.

52 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Anyone else notice that the actress (Patina Miller) playing the person setting up the small pox quarantine area also plays Daisy on Madam Secretary?  Guess it's a good thing MS moved to the 9pm time slot so they don't compete.

I had no idea, and I'm a faithful viewer of Madam Secretary!  It'll be interesting to watch her in both roles!

I'm liking the new abolitionist, wondering what it means for Samuel that Aurelia's husband (?) has returned, and hoping we see Aurelia again soon.

Same here. Poor Sam. Aurelia said she missed her son Gabriel, but I don't remember whether she said she missed his father too.

"Yes, that Pinkerton."

Loved this episode! So many small, comedic moments too! Loved the beehive conversation, byron continues to be my trash son, bulle apparently has 9 lives. 

Charlotte Jenkins and Allan Pinkerton seem like great additions! We'll see how the new hospital chief fairs! He looks to be very straight-laced.

Annasophia rob's accent has definitely not improved. So cringey. I think Jack Falahee improved on his accent, though. 

• Love 3

Rewatched the episode.  I thought it was strange how we didn't even really see any of Lincoln.  Was this done on purpose to avoid having to cast a real actor and have viewer scrutiny on a character who has appeared in TV and movie productions countless numbers of times?  We only see him in the background.  I thought it was especially odd how Mary turned her back on him as he was leaving the hospital so she could talk with Foster.  Couldn't she have waited 15 more seconds?  It's not like it's every day that she would have run across the President of the United States.

12 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Annasophia rob's accent has definitely not improved. So cringey. I think Jack Falahee improved on his accent, though. 

I always thought his accent was pretty good.  Hers is definitely awful though.  I'm not sure why her accent is so thick and drawley in comparison with that of her onscreen sister and mother.  Doesn't make sense for the character.  You'd think that TPTB would try and coach her better.  Thanks to Jack Falahee and the guy who plays Asher on "How to Get Away With Murder", I learned that there are many distinct Southern accents, including "Weeziana alligatuh rasslin" and "Georgian peach picka".  Or "Beyonce Southern" vs. "Deliverance Southern".  The actress definitely seems to be in full on "Plantation Southern" while the Southern of the other characters seems to be a bit more refined.

However... worst ever accent that I have ever seen in a TV show was that of the actress who played the American CIA agent in the British show "MI-5".  The show clearly failed to hire any consultants.  In addition to having her character say that Ben Franklin was her favourite American president, her accent was horrific.  It was some weird cross between a Scarlett O'Hara Southern accent and a John F. Kennedy Bahstan accent.

So I guess I can give Annasophia Robb a pass.  At least it looks like she is enjoying herself.

Any Supergirl or Vampire Diaries fans catch Chris Wood? He's the Union soldier living in the Green house whom Alice is spying on.

Like this show a lot, even with its flaws. But need more McFarlane. I'm pro Emma-chaplain, Alice-Frank at this point.

Loved Miss Jenkins, Pinkerton (that Pinkerton), and the medical stuff (including Hale showing he was competent even though he was faking knowing how to operate on the intestine).  Alice's accent was like nails on a chalkboard.  I agree it was waaaay too Scarlet O'Hara for a Virginian.  I hate the character too and wish she and notTom bomb boy (whose name I obviously forget.  Oh yes, Frank.) would have been caught by that Pinkerton.  The whole Greene family can go away although Emma is showing signs of not being a complete idiot under Miss Finney's care.  The other thing I disliked was the cliche of someone coughing into a hankie and finding blood.  I would have thought Mary's rash would have been enough of a clue that she was sick.

On 1/22/2017 at 9:38 PM, BusyOctober said:

Hale and his nurse continue to be the Civil War's rendition of Frank "Ferret Face" Burns and Hot Lips Houllihan

Ha!  I'd rather them be comic relief than actual threats.

Hmm...I liked last week's episode better.

Jimmy's on a slippery slope.

James Sr. Continues to cause trouble.

Alice is a terrible spy.

No one listens to momma Green's wisdom.

Emma refuses to get sucked into the downward-spiraling blackhole her family is becoming and acts like the queen she is.

Poor Mary :( Poor Sam (you did the right thing) :(

Still no sympathy for Bullen.

Frank is leaving (yay) at least for a bit, hopefully.

McBurney is quite the character. Kinda unlikable for now. I know he's suffering from ptsd, but still. 

Byron continues to be my trash son fave.

McBurney was such a dick with his phrenology stuff about women. That is as much quackery as that electric machine that guy was using.

I didn't want the Union officer to rape Alice. I wanted him to kill her. I hate her. I really like Emma though.

• Love 2

Ugh, I sort of hate the black comedy that they threw into the show this season because it comes off as so modern (M*A*S*H the Civil War edition) and yes, I hate freaking Alice. I will stick with the show because I am fond of the leads, and the period is interesting.

• Love 1

I complained about last episode's cliche of coughing up blood.  This week the cliche was the attempted rape followed by killing the culprit followed by a cover up.  In addition to Alice's Scarlett O'Hara accent the writers have given her Scarlett's dead Union soldier storyline.  If Alice swears to never go hungry again (as God is her witness), I will throw something at the tv.  Fiddle-di-dee.

That said, everything non Greene family was much better.  (I really do enjoy the show despite any snark.)  Against my better judgment I am starting to like Hale.  I knew he was winging it a lot, but I had no idea he was not a real doctor.  Seems he and Foster have found common purpose in wanting to practice without the interference of McBurney.  I did like the silliness of the electric quack.

Next week's cliche will be the increasingly insane administrator terrorizing the good hearted staff of the hospital.  I betcha right now he ends up killing himself.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

McBurney was such a dick with his phrenology stuff about women. That is as much quackery as that electric machine that guy was using.

And by the time of the Civil War, I do believe that it had already been discredited as such by all serious scientists. I'd like to believe that if Mary wasn't so sick she would've shut down McBurney's bullshit right then and there. 

8 hours ago, LiveenLetLive said:

and yes, I hate freaking Alice. 

I do believe that's intentional. She is after all, a willing (if rather incompetent) member of an evil terrorist organization. 

Which is why I was so pissed off when they turned Captain Mon-El into a rapist all of a sudden for no other reason than to keep Mr. Green a somewhat sympathetic character. That scene would've worked just as well with Alice crying wolf.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

That said, everything non Greene family was much better.  (I really do enjoy the show despite any snark.)  Against my better judgment I am starting to like Hale.  I knew he was winging it a lot, but I had no idea he was not a real doctor.  Seems he and Foster have found common purpose in wanting to practice without the interference of McBurney.  I did like the silliness of the electric quack.

Next week's cliche will be the increasingly insane administrator terrorizing the good hearted staff of the hospital.  I betcha right now he ends up killing himself.

I think Hale is a "real" doctor, but just hasn't taken a test required by the US Army to be a doctor in the army.

I didn't like this episode as much as I did last week's.  There just seemed to be very little advancement of the story.  I don't care for the new administrator.  Is he supposed to be English, or does he just have an odd manner of speaking?  He has a very high-pitched voice (not sure if it is intentional), and it reminded me of the high-pitched John Graves Simcoe on "Turn" and the high-pitched Moriarty on "Sherlock".  I guess high-pitched voice on a man is supposed to indicate deranged and unlikeable?

Way too much time spent on the soldier who was faking his injury (or "needed his voice to be heard" or whatever it was they said).  Way too much time spent on Alice.  Way too much time spent on the other Greens.

Is Aurelia gone from the show for good?  I can't think of a plausible scenario on why she would want to return to Alexandria.  If whatever she had with her "husband" is real, then I would think they would send him up North to her.  That's how I think it would function if this were real life.  But for TV show purposes, she will probably return to Alexandria, because every show needs a triangle.

I like the Jack Falahee character and I was interested to see how he would get away (I hate Bullen) but this episode mostly ignored him in favour of the tiresome Alice.

On 1/24/2017 at 11:59 PM, LittleIggy said:

No, it was typhoid, and, yes, I know that.

I stand corrected.  I still think typhus would have made more sense given the time period, the conditions, and the symptoms. 

Another reason I should really break up with this show.

I love this show! I know it has its faults but dang I find it entertaining. 

Can only guess that both Falahee and Wood had other commitments...totally thought there would be a rape. Alice is a terrible spy - didn't she think he might wander upstairs, given the house was deserted?

Wonder if the nephrology scene will lead to McBurney contracting typhoid as well, and having to rely on the staff to care for him. Hated his chauvinistic tendencies but all the other men on this show are pretty open-minded, so I guess there's gotta be one.

I was wondering about Aurelia too - can't the actress return? I like the storyline with her husband though.

Ha - Simcoe! Every time I see the PBS ads about VA I think of Turn. This show has a similar flavor, maybe that's why I like it.

ETA: the English nurse was also a regular on the last two seasons of Boston Legal. Maybe that's been mentioned before. I like her a lot and am glad she found more work!

Edited by Moxie Cat
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:02 PM, LiveenLetLive said:

I hate freaking Alice. I will stick with the show because I am fond of the leads, and the period is interesting.

I find everything about Alice (accent, blonde hair, spying) annoying!  I really wish she was gone.

So, its not bad enough that Alice is a spy for an Evil Confederate Terrorist Group, she also SUCKS at it. No wonder her side lost the war. She's a moron, she's annoying, and she's a shitty person. And her accent is stupid. Its like a weird parody of Rogue's accent from the 90s X Men cartoon, but worse. And why did the union guy have to try to rape her? I guess she still needs to be around (for whatever reason) so he wasn't going to actually kill her or turn her in, but why the turn to rapist? Who reacts to finding out your girlfriend is a spy like that? I guess its so we wont feel bad that he's dead, or make it so that the Greens can stay sympathetic after they kill him, but all they had to do was have Alice cry wolf and the Greens still would have done the same thing without the actual rape attempt. Do they want us to feel bad for Alice? Because...I don't. She's a straight up bad guy at this point, and an incompetent one at that.

That all being said, I did still like this episode. Emma is a great character, and I'm really enjoying her development from pampered southern belle to resourceful and compassionate women. I hope after all this, she tells her family "peace out" and goes off with Mary to become an official nurse. And I don't mind the bits of humor thrown in, even from Hale and Anne. Seems like Anne will be siding with asshole administration guy, and he will be our new asshole, now that most of the other main characters have chilled out.

I cracked up over the fact that Foster finally told Anne to shut up when she started going on about Crimea, when this is the first time her knowledge of Crimea is actually relevant for once! The nurse who cried Nightingale. They did listen to her quickly though. Poor Mary. Asshole administrator was lucky she passed out right after he started ranting about that brain science bullshit. She would have normally torn him a new one (politely).

• Love 1

I'm glad Hale and Hastings are being shown to be more human and less caricatures as in last season. McBurney is still atrocious with that phrenology garbage. Glad Emma is getting an open mind. I like her with the cutie chaplain!

• Love 5

OK, this is bugging me, would Emma really have had sex with her boyfriend (the Dentist, I forget his name) a good southern girl, even in a time of war, wouldn't have pre-marital sex would she? I am still staying with the show despite some of the glaring anachronisms.

• Love 1