Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions about Music

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

People remember the predictions that came to pass, but not the ones that didn't pan out. Also the categories of predictions listed are things anyone could guess (everyone in Hollywood does coke and pop stars use ghostwriters?! Who knew?!) or will never be confirmed or denied (closeted celebrities, conspiracies, mysterious deaths, etc.).

It's like when horoscopes are so vague they can't not match your life.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

It's like when horoscopes are so vague they can't not match your life.

And like...not every celebrity death is some mystery Illuminati thing. The more conspiracies that come up, the more ridiculous it sounds. It may seem unthinkable to us that someone like Chris Cornell who had everything going for him would take his life, but he was pretty open about the shit he dealt with mentally. It's even right there on Wikipedia.

Cornell said about that period; "I went through a serious crisis with depression where I didn't eat a whole meal every day. I was just kind of shutting down. I eventually found that the only way out of that was to change virtually everything in my life. That was a very frightening thing to do, but it was worthwhile."

Cornell stated in a 1996 interview: "I know what it feels like to be suicidal, and I know what it feels like to be hopeless. There is some point where I learnt enough about myself to know that I don't have the tolerance to create other hurdles as well."

"No one really knows what run-of-the-mill depression is. You'll think somebody has run-of-the-mill depression, and then the next thing you know, they're hanging from a rope. It's hard to tell the difference. But I do feel that depression can be useful. Sometimes it's just chemical. It doesn't seem to come from anywhere. And whenever I've been in any kind of depression, I've over the years tried to not only imagine what it feels like to not be there, but try to remind myself that I could just wake up the next day and it could be gone because that happens, and not to worry about it. And at the same time, when I'm feeling great, I remember the depression and think about the differences in what I'm feeling and why I would feel that way, and not be reactionary one way or the other. You just have to realize that these are patterns of life and you just go through them."

(I do have a "conspiracy theory" of sorts though that he never got over Andy Wood's death and that's why he reunited Temple of the Dog and toured with them months before he killed himself, as kind of a message.)

I knew these people were divorced from reality when the Mac Miller conspiracies came out though. Like...he wrote a ton of lyrics about depression and drug abuse, and even lyrics about how he was going to overdose and die, but sure, Ariana Grande had him killed or whatever....

• Love 2
21 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

That just falls into the "blaming women" thing I was talking about earlier in this thread though. He made her life just as difficult as she made his, but if it had been her who killed herself, nobody would be blaming him. He had untreated bipolar disorder and substance abuse issues that pre-dated their relationship. Even his friends and family members say he acted erratically his entire life and that several members of his family had severe mental illness. Even when he escaped rehab days before he died, he jumped over a fence despite the fact that he wasn't forced to stay there and could have just walked out the door. I still have some doubts about whether it was a suicide due to Cyril Wecht's analysis -- he is a highly respected coroner and there are inconsistencies in the ballistics, etc. However, I think it's unlikely she was involved for the reasons I stated -- he was around a lot of other less famous sketchy people who were actually in the Seattle area at the time.

Haha, well that is really an unpopular opinion with me -- I can't even imagine how anyone could not love AIC or Soundgarden!

I completely disagree; this does not fall into some "blaming women" thing at all.  They made each others lives difficult, and if she had killed herself, I would most certainly say he had some share in the blame.  I stand by my opinion.  It doesn't necessarily apply in all suicides, but when two people are involved in this dysfunctional a relationship, yes, they both have a share of the blame.

Haha, well that is really an unpopular opinion with me -- I can't even imagine how anyone could not love AIC or Soundgarden!

I don't like grunge at all.

On 7/13/2019 at 8:04 AM, UYI said:

I agree with this (even though he will clearly NEVER do it), although I will concede that it does add character to his more recent albums. He's always had a more fatalistic outlook to life, but now that he's 67 (68 on October 7th this year), hearing his aged voice makes it that much more effective and raw.

Yeah, he's not going to give them up. It's about as likely as Keith Richards giving them up... which is, you know, NO, not happening.

Here’s a list of UOs for a lazy Sunday morning:

Drake’s last three albums have been mostly a showcase for his crack team of producers than him as an artist. If he and 40 ever split, I see him faltering, not unlike Eminem did without Dr. Dre.

Beyonce and Rihanna are both not hard-presses to maintain their celebrity and cultural relevance — the former not doing interviews and releasing non-commercial albums and the latter content to keep selling Avon and teasing an album that has yet to come — because there isn’t an attractive light-skinned Black female singer being pushed in the Pop lane. 

Speaking of which, Lizzo will succeed as long as she stays fat. The minute she goes full Jennifer Hudson, it’s gonna get quiet for her.

It’s almost over for the crybully popstars of the 2010s: Taylor Swift, The Weeknd, Nicki Minaj, and Drake, to name a few. And I’m referring to their moment, not their entire career.

Gaga is On Something and messed up her career when she decided to take the costumes off and decided she wanted to be Shania Twain for awhile, preceded (or succeeded) by that weird album/tour with Tony Bennett. Even though she has an Oscar, it’s...kinda over.

More of a prediction, but Shape of You messed up Ed Sheeran’s career. So it’s going to be a little quiet for him for awhile too.

In totality, Iggy Azalea is a better artist than Nicki Minaj or Cardi B. Nicki has been treading water for years and is overhyped, and Cardi is more of an entertainer than artist and alternates between being embarrassing and endearing. But like Tiffany Haddish, it’s just going to become embarrassing. Despite the artifice, Iggy has more presence than both, and her music bridges the gap between ratchet and mainstream better than them. And I think the primary reason she isn’t as big is because she’s a white chick in hip-hop who managed to get a few hits under her belt. 

In that same vein, sorry, Macklemore deserved that Grammy over Kendrick. 

Even though it’s funny to say, the Beyhive didn’t kill Keri Hilson’s career. She just wasn’t compelling enough as a recording artist to sustain a long-term career. She’s a better songwriter than artist. The thin-voiced, light-skinned R&B sexpot thing has been tried over and over — Aaliyah, Ashanti, Ciara, Amerie, Cassie, Tinashe — and it never works out in the long-term. Especially when you’re talking smack about a popular artist. That said, even though nobody enlisted Keri Hilson to say Beyonce needed to sit down and have a baby, let’s not act like that wasn’t a common sentiment circa 2008.

Thank U, Next (song and album) is selfish and self-centered and makes me not really like Ariana. And I already barely liked her. She’s always been Ariana Bland-e to me, pretty girl pretty voice no ability to entertain, but I get the feeling she’s a bird. Plus, Ariana needs one straight dude in her life to tell her he’s not unfit, he just got tired of you. Not your fault if he cheats instead of breaking up, but...maybe you aren’t as great as you think you are. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, 27bored said:

Here’s a list of UOs for a lazy Sunday morning:

Beyonce and Rihanna are both not hard-presses to maintain their celebrity and cultural relevance — the former not doing interviews and releasing non-commercial albums and the latter content to keep selling Avon and teasing an album that has yet to come — because there isn’t an attractive light-skinned Black female singer being pushed in the Pop lane. 

Speaking of which, Lizzo will succeed as long as she stays fat. The minute she goes full Jennifer Hudson, it’s gonna get quiet for her.

It’s almost over for the crybully popstars of the 2010s: Taylor Swift, The Weeknd, Nicki Minaj, and Drake, to name a few. And I’m referring to their moment, not their entire career.

Gaga is On Something and messed up her career when she decided to take the costumes off and decided she wanted to be Shania Twain for awhile, preceded (or succeeded) by that weird album/tour with Tony Bennett. Even though she has an Oscar, it’s...kinda over.

Thank U, Next (song and album) is selfish and self-centered and makes me not really like Ariana. And I already barely liked her. She’s always been Ariana Bland-e to me, pretty girl pretty voice no ability to entertain, but I get the feeling she’s a bird. Plus, Ariana needs one straight dude in her life to tell her he’s not unfit, he just got tired of you. Not your fault if he cheats instead of breaking up, but...maybe you aren’t as great as you think you are. 

I just wanted to let you know that Rihanna selling Avon made me cry laughing.  I could not agree more with the entire paragraph about her and Beyonce though.  I am so over Rihanna's "bad girl" image I can't even tell you.  She was much more fun when she was sweet and kind.  The fact she cops an attitude whenever someone dares ask her a stupid question now is tiring.  And while Beyonce is a decent human being the fact that she won't rein in her big mouthed fans is off putting.  They are well known for attacking and destroying people when they feel someone gets near Beyonce's popularity or career and her not telling them to back the fuck off makes me wonder if she really is as nice a person as I think she is.

I agree about Lizzo.

From your lips to Gods ears about Ms. Swift.  I am so done with the headlines she makes whenever she breathes.  

Gaga took a hit for me when she refused to take part in the R. Kelly documentary.  Out of every artist he worked with, she had the loudest voice to say something and she stayed quiet.  Then she responds with her excuse that at the time she worked with him she wasn't in a good place.  Well...ok?  For all her squawking about sexual abuse she missed a big opportunity there.  Since then I haven't really wanted to listen to anything she has to say.

Ariana took a dive for me when she licked the donuts.  For a girl with a lot of young fans that was irresponsible on another level.  She also cops an attitude whenever anyone asks a question she deems unworthy of her attention and I'm over it.  I've never thought her music or voice were that great anyway.

I doubt this is very unpopular, but this song from Madonna's previous album, proves that she is STILL capable of making great music/releasing good singles, it just seems like she shoots herself in the foot more often than not on that front these days. And then she basically threw this in the garbage in favor of making "Bitch I'm Madonna" a single--bleh.

7 hours ago, outofbounds said:

Gaga took a hit for me when she refused to take part in the R. Kelly documentary.  Out of every artist he worked with, she had the loudest voice to say something and she stayed quiet.  Then she responds with her excuse that at the time she worked with him she wasn't in a good place Well...ok?  For all her squawking about sexual abuse she missed a big opportunity there.  Since then I haven't really wanted to listen to anything she has to say.

Yeah that was weird to me as well given Gaga has been outspoken about sexual assault. At first I thought she was trying to stay out of it — and I wouldn’t blame her — but then she took that song she did with R. Kelly down, and it just looked desperate.

I don’t know. I feel like the expectation of celebrities that they Speak Out is a little unrealistic. I think when people start speaking out for certain causes, there’s an expectation that they keep it up even after the moment has passed. And the thing is, they’re usually only saying something when it’s advantageous to do so.

Circa 2012-13, when we still heard about “rape culture” on college campuses, and Gaga still had a pop career, she was all over that. Smash cut to a few years later, she’s older, pop career has cooled off a bit, the hits aren’t coming as quickly, and now she’s mum on speaking out about R. Kelly.

And I don’t say this to defend him, but it feels a bit too easy to go after R. Kelly. He’s not keeping the lights on at a record label, business people don’t need him to keep his engagements to have a successful show, and he isn’t paying dozens of people. So it feels like because the industry doesn’t need him that it’s open season to trundle out accusations we’ve known about for decades. Whereas, back when he was abusing young girls, he was cranking out hits for himself and others, so everybody had incentive to look the other way.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, 27bored said:

I don't know if this is specifically referencing her music career, or her performance career in general, but I think I've read that her primary goal was always to be an actor.  I don't know if the music was meant to be a conduit to acting, or something to do in the meantime, but now that's she's become more successful as an actor, I can see why she'd be fine with her music career falling away.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I am sick to death of Lil Nas X and that goddamn song.

Well, it hasn't been number one for two weeks now, so I don't think you'll have to worry about it as much anymore. 🙂 

• Love 1

I am sick to death of The Jonas Brothers. I don't want to hear any more of their music, I don't want to see any more of their videos, I don't want to see any more of their lives on gossip sites/shows, I just want them to go away.

• Love 3

UO: I don’t normally give high praise, but in this case I have to. Have you ever heard an album that sounds almost perfect? Like, you don’t want to call it perfect because that sounds weird, but you can’t really say anything negative about it. 

I do think there’s a such thing as pop perfection. For me, that is Ladyhawke’s first album, “Ladyhawke”.

The album is eleven years old. I heard it in college and I was surprised at how catchy and accessible each song is. Like, every song sounds like a hit. Her musical palette is obviously inspired by the 80s, but it doesn’t feel dated, even now. 

For real, go listen to this album, front to back. I guarantee if you listen to the first three songs you will hooked. And you’ll wonder why she isn’t bigger than she is. And this especially if you think you’re too old for modern pop music. This will become something you keep playing. For real, go listen to it. Start with Magic, Manipulating Woman, and My Delirium. 

On 7/22/2019 at 8:50 PM, 27bored said:

Oh man, I totally agree. I’ve always thought Elton John was ass at singing. So many of his songs sound better when other people them. And by so many, I mean virtually all of them.

I've been thinking about this comment since I read it.  I've now seen Rocketman 4 times and while I still like some of Elton John's songs with him singing them, I now find myself shaking my head and thinking "Ugh. I need Taron's version of this one".  Border Song is the most prominent one so far. 

On 8/12/2019 at 5:06 AM, 27bored said:

Yeah that was weird to me as well given Gaga has been outspoken about sexual assault. At first I thought she was trying to stay out of it — and I wouldn’t blame her — but then she took that song she did with R. Kelly down, and it just looked desperate.

I don’t know. I feel like the expectation of celebrities that they Speak Out is a little unrealistic. I think when people start speaking out for certain causes, there’s an expectation that they keep it up even after the moment has passed. And the thing is, they’re usually only saying something when it’s advantageous to do so.

Circa 2012-13, when we still heard about “rape culture” on college campuses, and Gaga still had a pop career, she was all over that. Smash cut to a few years later, she’s older, pop career has cooled off a bit, the hits aren’t coming as quickly, and now she’s mum on speaking out about R. Kelly.

And I don’t say this to defend him, but it feels a bit too easy to go after R. Kelly. He’s not keeping the lights on at a record label, business people don’t need him to keep his engagements to have a successful show, and he isn’t paying dozens of people. So it feels like because the industry doesn’t need him that it’s open season to trundle out accusations we’ve known about for decades. Whereas, back when he was abusing young girls, he was cranking out hits for himself and others, so everybody had incentive to look the other way.

I think the fact that Gaga didn't speak out makes sense. She seems quite introvert to me (yeah, yeah, I know, her public persona, which I'd say is in large part a mask) and probably needed time away from the public to process all new info that may very well have been news to her - not sure what song she did with him and when.

I'm less lenient tough towards his producers and all who worked with him in close proximity for years, and did nothing to stop his behaviour.  

• Love 1
On 9/4/2019 at 7:12 PM, 27bored said:

UO: I don’t normally give high praise, but in this case I have to. Have you ever heard an album that sounds almost perfect? Like, you don’t want to call it perfect because that sounds weird, but you can’t really say anything negative about it. 

I do think there’s a such thing as pop perfection. For me, that is Ladyhawke’s first album, “Ladyhawke”.

The album is eleven years old. I heard it in college and I was surprised at how catchy and accessible each song is. Like, every song sounds like a hit. Her musical palette is obviously inspired by the 80s, but it doesn’t feel dated, even now. 

For real, go listen to this album, front to back. I guarantee if you listen to the first three songs you will hooked. And you’ll wonder why she isn’t bigger than she is. And this especially if you think you’re too old for modern pop music. This will become something you keep playing. For real, go listen to it. Start with Magic, Manipulating Woman, and My Delirium. 

What.  When I first heard My Delirium I wondered how I hadn't heard it before then.  It must have been new, but I thought it was from the '80s.  I downloaded that song (obviously didn't pay attention to dates), but now I'll check out the rest of it.

I might have said this before, but I think of all the boy band songs, the best one was by little known UK boy band BBMak, "Ghost of You and Me". Seriously. "I Want It That Way" is looked at fondly, but aside from the fact that that song makes no sense -- I heard it's because the writers had a tenuous grasp of English at the time, no shade -- "Ghost of You and Me" should be the song people try to nail on singing shows and whatnot. The lead parts and harmonies on it are beautiful, and the lyrics are beautiful. Like, for a song that was written and given to a boy band that had a teenage girl fan base, the lyrics almost sound like they could've been written by a woman. But yeah, best song of that era in my opinion:

You know a song is good when it sounds better in stark settings, like with just a guitar in a cave in Vietnam:

• Love 1
On 11/16/2019 at 1:16 AM, Annber03 said:

Aw, yeah, I loved that song, too. I never really followed BBMak's career in general-I know I heard another song or two of theirs, but that's about it. But that's a good song. 

Coincidentally enough, upon doing a YouTube search for that song, I saw a bunch of videos from shows they’ve done as recently as May, so I guess they got the band back together and went on a reunion tour. Good for them.

You know what would be kinda cool? You know how CMT has that Crossroads series where they take a Country artist and pair them with another artist from a different genre and have them do a concert? I’d love to see something like with BBMak and maybe like a Boys II Men. That would be cool. I bet Boys II Men would do a great job on a song like Ghost of You and Me

But yeah, here they are performing acoustic. They still look and sound good even though it’s been twenty years. If I had been there you would’ve seen a guy that kinda looks like Drake if you squint except with way less money standing right in front, hands crossed on his chest, swaying and singing along. 

I’m kidding. Kinda. Probably. Maybe.

Edited by 27bored
On 11/15/2019 at 11:42 PM, 27bored said:

I might have said this before, but I think of all the boy band songs, the best one was by little known UK boy band BBMak, "Ghost of You and Me". Seriously. "I Want It That Way" is looked at fondly, but aside from the fact that that song makes no sense -- I heard it's because the writers had a tenuous grasp of English at the time, no shade -- "Ghost of You and Me" should be the song people try to nail on singing shows and whatnot. The lead parts and harmonies on it are beautiful, and the lyrics are beautiful. Like, for a song that was written and given to a boy band that had a teenage girl fan base, the lyrics almost sound like they could've been written by a woman. But yeah, best song of that era in my opinion:

You know a song is good when it sounds better in stark settings, like with just a guitar in a cave in Vietnam:

Oh man, this takes me back. I loved BBMak. I went and saw them for one of my very first concerts (I think it was a Christmas special). And now I am listening to the Sooner or Later album for the first time in years...

• Love 2

My favorite song by Whitney Houston was the Olympic themed "One Moment in Time" rather than the perennial "I Will Always Love You!" The former song not only perfectly captured the goals of so many athletes but also she hit it out of the ballpark with her downright acrobatic and intense singing skills. I wish the former song was played more often!

• Love 4

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dolly Parton's original version of "I'll Always Love You" blows Whitney Houston's version out of the water. Its strength is in its simplicity.

Also, "Joshua" is an eternal jam and it deserves just as much love as any of Dolly's other songs. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, UYI said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dolly Parton's original version of "I'll Always Love You" blows Whitney Houston's version out of the water. Its strength is in its simplicity.

Also, "Joshua" is an eternal jam and it deserves just as much love as any of Dolly's other songs. 

I agree that I personally prefer Miss Parton's rendition to the late Miss Houston's. However, it needs to be said that Miss Parton herself was impressed by her colleague's interpretation- and happy that it became popular and won the awards it did. Of course, it needs to be said that Miss Parton has always shrewdly kept the copyrights to the songs she's composed down the decades so she can't have been unhappy that it made her a good amount of extra change! 

• Love 9

IMO, the argument of the two versions of I Will Always Love You comes down purely to personal taste. The two versions don't even sound like the same song. That's how different they are.

One is a quiet, poignant country song and the other a bombastic Pop/R&B ballad. So depending on personal taste, one will love one more than the other.

Me personally I love and appreciate both versions and certainly don't believe Dolly's blows Whitney's out of the water. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

I think the more annoying thing is that because Whitney’s version is so iconic that everybody automatically associated it with being this epic love song, like a kissing cousin of My Heart Will Go On, and that’s not really the initial vibe of the original. It’s a simple song saying goodbye to an old friend, a mentor. 

I hate to be a hater 😁, but this reminds me of the night Whitney died right before the Grammys. And they got Jennifer Hudson to sing IWALY to open the awards show. I remember not liking it for that exact reason. Jennifer, whose voice is better suited for gospel and gospel-tinged soul music from decades ago, who also has little finesse in her singing, trying to do a serious , stirring rendition of that song and it just...didn’t work. I remember somebody on the old TWoP board saying it should’ve just been Dolly with a guitar singing that song. 

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 3

Except art is subjective. Just because Dolly's original intent behind the song was a farewell to a friend/mentor, doesn't mean that's how everyone else should interpret the song and what it should mean to everyone.

IMO, to think that way is limiting to Dolly's talent and not appreciating how amazing her songwriting is. That is to say that a song she wrote and intended for one thing, could be reimagined and interpreted in a whole other way and still resonate and be so powerful.

I just think it's funny how almost resentful some are by how successful Whitney's version was, as if it was almost an insult to Dolly. And yet the woman in question herself, has never had anything but great things to say about the song, about Whitney's performance and more importantly, those big, fat royalty checks she gets because of the global phenomenon the song became. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Except art is subjective. Just because Dolly's original intent behind the song was a farewell to a friend/mentor, doesn't mean that's how everyone else should interpret the song and what it should mean to everyone.

IMO, to think that way is limiting to Dolly's talent and not appreciating how amazing her songwriting is. That is to say that a song she wrote and intended for one thing, could be reimagined and interpreted in a whole other way and still resonate and be so powerful.

I just think it's funny how almost resentful some are by how successful Whitney's version was, as if it was almost an insult to Dolly. And yet the woman in question herself, has never had anything but great things to say about the song, about Whitney's performance and more importantly, those big, fat royalty checks she gets because of the global phenomenon the song became. 

Everyone doesn’t have to interpret the song the same way, but it not being intended as a straightforward love song is only half of the issue. The other half is, they’re nowhere close to being Whitney Houston. Whitney was an interpreter; she imbued all of her songs with passion, a mix of drama and seduction. In hindsight many of her songs have an almost regal quality because of her delivery. She sang that song how she would sing it. They jazzed up the arrangement but Whitney sang it how she knew to sing. 

So that’s why so many renditions of that song sound like karaoke to one extent or another. Because they’re not singing the song in the spirit that it was intended. 

• Love 1

From an OK Boomer:

• Gladys Knight was a better singer than Aretha Franklin
  • The Marvelettes had better songs than the Supremes
  • Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions had better songs than the Temptations
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I was highly annoyed by how many people thought it was an original song when Whitney's version came out, but I knew Dolly was laughing all the way to the bank (and seemed to genuinely like Whitney's take on it).  That It's not new! frustration colored my reception of it, I think, and the movie was awful, so it took me a while to let everything go and just appreciate Whitney's version in a vacuum, but I did come to really like it.

Of all Dolly's versions of the song, I like her Best Little Whorehouse in Texas rendition best.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was highly annoyed by how many people thought it was an original song when Whitney's version came out, but I knew Dolly was laughing all the way to the bank (and seemed to genuinely like Whitney's take on it).  That It's not new! frustration colored my reception of it, I think, and the movie was awful, so it took me a while to let everything go and just appreciate Whitney's version in a vacuum, but I did come to really like it.

Of all Dolly's versions of the song, I like her Best Little Whorehouse in Texas rendition best.

I wonder if they’re going to ever do remake of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. As crazy as it sounds, I could see it being even more controversial now than the original. We’re in the “that’s not funny” era. It would be a great diva vehicle for Carrie Underwood, but she wouldn’t do it. 

Edited by 27bored
On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:13 AM, truthaboutluv said:

You're correct - art is subjective.  And my subjective opinion is that Whitney Houston's bombastic, acrobatic version of the song sucks all the meaning out of it until it just becomes an exercise in vocal excess.  And it sucks.

I'm glad Dolly liked it, and I definitely glad she's making a shit-ton of money off of it, but I wish Whitney's version had never existed so that my ears would never have been subjected to that dreadful screech-fest.

• Love 2
On 12/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, truthaboutluv said:

Dolly Parton's music has NEVER been my thing, although my parents liked her well enough. As a human, however, I think Ms. Parton is terrific. All this being said, I MUCH preferred Whitney Houston's take on "I Will Always Love You". I have heard the original before WH's version came out and...meh.

Basically, it comes down to personal taste. Some love the original version. Others love the remake. All good!

Live and let live is where I'm at.

• Love 5

To move on to something else for a second, I want to give some more attention to the criminally underrated decade of 1980's country music, and three of the stars that made it great: the late Dan Seals (yes, the guy from England Dan & John Ford Coley), John Conlee, and Moe Bandy. So many artists swept away by the country boom of the 90's but so many songs that I love just as much, or more.

And of course, Earl Thomas Conley, who passed earlier this year. He had more number one hits on the country charts than any other artist that decade (only Alabama and Ronnie Milsap got close), and yet he's still so overlooked. Ridiculous. #Justicefor80sCountry

Edited by UYI

Ooh, here's a controversial opinion, even for this thread.

In honor of the holiday season being here now, I love Kenny G's version of "Silver Bells." No really, I think it's a bop.

I'll show myself out. 😄 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, UYI said:

...And then there's Linda Ronstadt's version, if we REALLY want to throw everyone for a loop. #TakeaThirdOption

Aww, Linda Ronstadt. 

Remember that time they got Jojo to play a younger version of her on “American Dreams”? I remember watching that thinking, “Now y’all know damn well...”

• Love 1

Did someone say "Silver Bells"? This ain't your mama's version! (Catchy riff, though.) UO: The songs I have heard from this album on SiriusXM aren't half bad. Dee Snider, Twisted Sister lead singer, also does a decent duet with Lita Ford with "I'll Be Home For Christmas", too.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, UYI said:

...And then there's Linda Ronstadt's version, if we REALLY want to throw everyone for a loop. #TakeaThirdOption

Oh gosh, that's lovely!  Linda Ronstadt has always had such an expressive voice, even when the material wasn't great.  And when it is, like here, wow.

21 hours ago, UYI said:

And then there's Linda Ronstadt's version, if we REALLY want to throw everyone for a loop.

I like that one, too.  I think Vince Gill's is just okay, though.  His duet with Parton, too.  That's how I feel about Vince Gill songs in general, though - eh, fine.

20 hours ago, UYI said:

In honor of the holiday season being here now, I love Kenny G's version of "Silver Bells." No really, I think it's a bop.

It felt like I gave it a good 30-second listen, but, according to the timer, I only made it 12 seconds; if something interesting happens later in the song, I missed it.  I don't find it any worse than any other version of the song, but I just don't like the song.  I hate most "Christmas classics", because most of it sounds like that song.

• Love 2

Anybody remember Savage Garden? They had a few minor pop hits in the 90s (I think their most well known one was “Truly Madly Deeply”, but I was a fan of “I Knew I Loved You”, long title and all). Well, the lead singer struck out on his own and released a solo album in 2002. It was alright, I guess. I liked the guy’s voice, but the songs were kind of forgettable. Well, except the lead single, “Insatiable”.

I feel like he works the post-MJ falsetto loverman thing here better than most who have tried. He sounds like a classically-trained first tenor who’s just entering into the realm of pop singing. Even though it’s been years and years since I’ve heard this song, I still hang on to every word. His breathy intensity actually elevated what is actually a pretty by-the-numbers mid-tempo pop ballad.

I think a keen sense of drama and romance goes a long way in pop. We have plenty of women to look to for that, but it’s a little harder to come by in men. So when I hear it, I remember it.

• Love 2

Oh, yeah, I definitely remember Savage Garden :). I have memories of being at a friend's place and listening to their first album. To this day I cannot hear "Truly Madly Deeply" without thinking of alternate (and darker) lyrics my friend came up with for the chorus-she had kind of a warped sense of humor :p.

And "I Knew I Loved You" came out right around the time I got my first boyfriend in high school, so...yeah :D. Fond memories associated with that song. 

This was probably my favorite song of theirs:

My sister liked them, too, and had a crush on Darren Hayes for a time. I remember her playing "Insatiable" a lot. It's a sexy song. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

David Lee Roth may have been a better front man for Van Halen on a sheer entertainment level, but some of the best songs the band have ever done are from the Sammy Hagar era; "Love Walks In" and "Feels So Good" in particular. He deserves WAY more credit for his role in the band for that alone.

While Appetite for Destruction is a classic album, for whatever reason, I can honestly say that I enjoy and re-listen to many more of the songs from the UYI (see where I got my name now?) albums, even though the former album is probably objectively better.

And I'll go one step further: GNR's version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is my favorite, by far. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4

I’ll be honest, UYI. Whenever I see you post I call you Uli in my head. Uli was that German designer on Project Runway who made it to Fashion Week and loved making dresses with prints. So I’m usually going, “oh Uli made another post”. Pay no attention to me, I’m weird.

Edited by 27bored
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, 27bored said:

I’ll be honest, UYI. Whenever I see you post I call you Uli in my head. Uli was that German designer on Project Runway who made it to Fashion Week and loved making dresses with prints. So I’m usually going, “oh Uli made another post”. Pay no attention to me, I’m weird.

One of my mom's friends from when I was a kid was a German woman with that name (her oldest daughter is just a little younger than me). She just got her annual Christmas card from her a few weeks ago. So I actually really appreciate this. 😄

Another UO:

I cannot bring myself to listen to a whole lot of metal music. I'm sure there's some great metal bands out there, but so much of it is SO LOUD that it punctures my ear drums within seconds. I love plenty of rock music, but most metal is just a step too far for me, I guess.

I appreciate the Foo Fighters' place as a rare "traditional" sounding rock band in today's music landscape, but a few songs aside ("Everlong" included), they just don't do anything for me.

I ADORE bluegrass music. 

• Love 2