Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions about Music

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

On 7/24/2023 at 8:50 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I think “That’s Amore” is a stupid song. Go ahead and judge me.

I much prefer Ain't That A Kick In The Head, myself.  I love Dean Martin but could never really care about Tony Bennett one way or the other.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Fool in the rain by Led Zeppelin is a lot better a song than Stairway to Heaven 

Most of their catalogue is better than Stairway to Heaven.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

*sigh* This is a tough one, but as beautiful as Whitney Houston's voice was, I can only think of maybe a few of her songs that I liked.   Otherwise, the songs were kind of bland and did nothing for me.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

*sigh* This is a tough one, but as beautiful as Whitney Houston's voice was, I can only think of maybe a few of her songs that I liked.   Otherwise, the songs were kind of bland and did nothing for me.

I like a lot of her songs, but that's me with Mariah Carey -- I acknowledge she has a great voice, but don't like very many of her songs.  Same with Karen Carpenter; beautiful voice, but I only like a couple of Carpenters songs.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I like a lot of her songs, but that's me with Mariah Carey -- I acknowledge she has a great voice, but don't like very many of her songs.  Same with Karen Carpenter; beautiful voice, but I only like a few Carpenters songs.

I agree about Mariah.  I only remember a few of Karen Carpenter's songs, but as beautiful as her voice was (RIP, Karen), they were songs for me to go to sleep to.

7 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I agree.

This singer Gwen Guthrie was from a similar part of New Jersey but I like her better than Whitney

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

The only Whitney Houston songs I ever liked were How Will I Know and I Wanna Dance With Somebody.  And nostalgia has a lot to do with my affection for them.

I think Whitney Houston's voice was overrated.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The only Whitney Houston songs I ever liked were How Will I Know and I Wanna Dance With Somebody.  And nostalgia has a lot to do with my affection for them.

I think Whitney Houston's voice was overrated.

Hah hah, I'm laughing because every time I hear I Wanna Dance With Somebody, I wanna throw something!  I haaaaate that song! 🤣

I liked Exhale (from the movie Waiting to Exhale), and her version of The Star Spangled Banner.  

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

her version of The Star Spangled Banner.  

OMG, I can't stand our national anthem, yet I will pull up that Super Bowl performance every so often because it was so damn good.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

OMG, I can't stand our national anthem, yet I will pull up that Super Bowl performance every so often because it was so damn good.

THANK YOU! I'm an atheist, but I always thought "God Bless America" should be our national anthem. It's stirring, evocative, and it's a hell of a lot easier to sing. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

it's a hell of a lot easier to sing. 

I love a description I came across by a music professor years ago of "The Star Spangled Banner" as an "aggressive, unsingable, relatively-recently-adopted, ill-constructed descendant of a raunchy bar ballad turned celebration of obscure military stalemate".  Yep, that about sums it up. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love a description I came across by a music professor years ago of "The Star Spangled Banner" as an "aggressive, unsingable, relatively-recently-adopted, ill-constructed descendant of a raunchy bar ballad turned celebration of obscure military stalemate".  Yep, that about sums it up. 

Amen!

• Like 1
On 8/9/2023 at 2:59 PM, Bastet said:

And that's what I love about it.  I hate God Bless America.

• Applause 1
On 8/12/2023 at 5:30 PM, BlueSkies said:

Some Michael Bolton jokes are funny but I think overall he’s gotten way way to much shade thrown his way in his life 

My MB tolerance has gotten a lot higher after my Mom's liking him phase was over in the 90's and the car was a safe zone again...😸

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Jaded said:

My MB tolerance has gotten a lot higher after my Mom's liking him phase was over in the 90's and the car was a safe zone again...😸

That and he seems to have a good sense of humor about himself

• LOL 5
On 8/25/2023 at 7:25 PM, BlueSkies said:

That and he seems to have a good sense of humor about himself

There's also this. I about died the first time I saw it on SNL. This is the uncensored version since the three guys including Andy go by The Lonely Island. The part near the middle where he pops up and says what he does about getting back to the good stuff in the pirate hat...😸

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Michael Bolton may be a total cheesehead... but I can't bring myself to hate celebrities who engage in honest-to-goodness self-deprecation, so I say good on him.

And, if I'm being honest, "Go the Distance" from Hercules kinda gives me the feels.

• Like 7

I meant to share this before then forgot which is a thing for me. Since he lip sings in this I think I can share my unpopular opinion in regards to liking Pete Davidson. I find what happens near the end to be cute and funny where he goes up to Michael to take him by the wrist and what happens after that. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I don't hate "Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden.

You're all laughing and/or scoffing at me, aren't you? Yeah, I figured...

I like that song, too :). Mind, I have a hard time hearing it the same way thanks to some funny/dark alternate lyrics a friend of mine once came up with for the chorus, but still...:p. Yeah. It's a good song. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I've listened to a lot of their music recently and Darren Hayes solo stuff too.

• Like 2
On 9/2/2023 at 5:04 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I mean I don't like the song but dont hate it either.  

And overall when I think about it that is very much my opinion on Savage Garden 

On 8/28/2023 at 5:52 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

And, if I'm being honest, "Go the Distance" from Hercules kinda gives me the feels.

I missed this part of your post the other day. I haven't seen that movie so the name of that song made me think of this one...

• Like 1
On 9/7/2023 at 1:35 AM, BlueSkies said:

The Rolling Stones- a few songs I like but overall not a big fan

More or less that's how I feel about a lot of "legacy" bands (that paved the way to someone or was a major influence on someone) out there.

• Like 1

The Beatles are better than the Rolling Stones. The worst song of all time is The Christmas Shoes. There are songs I hate by groups I love. Run for your life by the Beatles is creepy. The Eagles are one of my favorite bands but I hate Hotel California also love Queen but hate I'm in love with my car. I like Pentatonix but my favorite acapella groups are Home Free and Straight no Chaser. 

On 1/5/2017 at 8:35 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I hate "Wind Beneath My Wings". What utterly disgusting, cloying, sanctimonious, self-aggrandizing pap that song is. You know what "Wind Beneath My Wings" really is? It's the ultimate humble brag disguised as an ode to gratitude and friendship. Think about it: the singer (Bette, Idina, doesn't matter, no one can make this song good) is mewling about how great this friend is, while at the same time discreetly boasting about "shining", "flying", and having "all the glory". The singer is the princess, the friend is the lowly lady in waiting whose only reward for being an unspectacular, spineless doormat is this nauseating backhanded compliment of a song."Thank you for all you do for me... now you keep being a nobody while I keep being a somebody, don't step on my cues or in my spotlight, and everything will be peachy (*condescending pat on the head*)".

And if anyone, and I do mean anyone, ever says to you something along the lines of "it must have been cold there in my shadow", you are within your moral and legal rights to pummel that person's face to glop with your ring fist. 

Glory of Love is the best song from the Beaches soundtrack.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kathyk2 said:

Glory of Love is the best song from the Beaches soundtrack.

I can't pick a favorite, with "Glory of Love", "I Know You by Heart", "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" and "Otto Titsling" all on there, but it's definitely not "Wind Beneath My Wings".

1 hour ago, kathyk2 said:

The worst song of all time is The Christmas Shoes.

I had to look that up and, dear gods, it is awful.  But I can't read the words "worst song of all time" and "Christmas" together without immediately thinking of "Wonderful Christmastime".  And then considering grabbing an ice pick to get that dreadful song out of my brain.

• Like 1

@BlueSkies the title of that song made me think of Amy Grant's song almost by the same name which is a favorite of mine and has been since I was little. My Mom and I did stuff without my (I'll be nice here) father so when we'd be in the car around town or traveling Amy Grant's stuff would usually be playing. I had no idea that she was a Christian music singer at the time and my Mom never mentioned it. I just liked her music. 

This probably isn't that much of a unpopular opinion. I still can't really listen to Michael Jackson's music even though he's been dead for quite awhile now. I like to listen to online radio sometimes like AccuRadio for example and when his music comes on my first reaction is to skip to something else.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2
On 10/12/2023 at 6:26 PM, Bastet said:

I had to look that up and, dear gods, it is awful.  But I can't read the words "worst song of all time" and "Christmas" together without immediately thinking of "Wonderful Christmastime".  And then considering grabbing an ice pick to get that dreadful song out of my brain.

If I had to pick one to listen to, I guess it would be Wonderful Christmastime because, while it is awful, it's at least not maudlin dreck like Christmas Shoes.  Still, definitely something which could be used to torture enemies.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I don't like christmas carols and I don't like 1940s music. This may seem like an oddly specific dislike, but I'm being forced to listen to them being performed in a nearby park. I'm not sure who I want to be facing west, into the sun's glare. The singers or the audience who encourages them. Is that mean? I hope so.

• LOL 3