Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions about Music

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

I know people make fun of pop music and its fans, but I just love it! It's fun, catchy, and puts me in a good mood. Music really affects me, so I can only take so much of music that's very sad or angry. It has its place in my life, but I listen to the unhappy stuff in moderation. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I know people make fun of pop music and its fans, but I just love it! It's fun, catchy, and puts me in a good mood. Music really affects me, so I can only take so much of music that's very sad or angry. It has its place in my life, but I listen to the unhappy stuff in moderation. 

I'm sympathetic to a catchy tune, I just like more grunt behind it. If the pop star du jour hired Jason Newsted, best known for his time in Metallica, to provide the bass for their latest single, I'd give it a proper listen. But otherwise, it all feels light, frothy, and forgettable. Still, if it keeps you going, that's no bad thing.

• Love 2

Even though I can't say I'm a fan of her either as a person or performer, I actually like Jennifer Lopez's "Baby, I Love You" (2002)a great deal! Yes, it's a romantic, gushy deal but she actually does some intense vocal acrobatics here.  

(edited)

I like most of Metallica's controversial 90ies stuff. Yeah, the try-hard aesthetic was hit or miss, "Re-Load" has too much useless filler and Ulrich started talking way too much. But they did loads of interesting things and expanded their stylistic repertoire in a way that felt organic and secured their survival past the die-hard 80ies Metal scene. Hetfield also really grew as both a songwriter and performer during that time IMO, even though he wasn't all that comfortable with many of the more streamlined altrock aspects of that era. And "S&M" really holds up as an album and a reimagining of the band's catalog in a different musical context, no matter how uncool people thought it was at the time. "Outlaw Torn" on that is just insane. And their version of "Turn the Page" is a stone-cold classic. Again, Hetfield really showing his qualities as frontman and interpreter of songs.

Edited by katha
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/19/2021 at 9:08 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I like Dolly Parton as much as the next person, but... I don't think "Jolene" is all that magical or special a song, and I'm getting a little tired of how revered it's become in recent years.

I mean, it's a good song, but that's all it is, IMO.

Respect your opinion, but not gonna lie, that song is a favorite of mine. I love the music to it, and I think every woman can relate to the song at some point. These days the lyrics would go something more like "that bitch ain't got shit on me."  

I do have a very unpopular Dolly opinion, not about her music. 

Don't get me wrong, she's one of my favorite people on earth. I think she's so talented, beautiful, lovable. The world would be a better place with more Dollys in it. 

That said, don't kill me guys, but I don't enjoy her humor most of the time. It's mostly boob jokes. I don't find them funny. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Ever since the Jolene/Toe Beans parodies and memes came about I can't hear that song without thinking about cute little toe beans. ...

Ha - my poor cat is now going to have to listen to me sing "Toe beans, toe beans, toe be-eeans" while I play with her paws (as I do, because they are the cutest).

(I love both cat paws and "Jolene", but don't use social media, so I didn't know about the meme until now.  I thank you.  Riley, on the other hand - paw - will not, as I can't carry a tune with a forklift.)

• LOL 1

I hope die-hard Sesame Street fans won't figuratively (or literally) eviscerate me, but here goes:

Even as a kid, I thought "Sing" was an agonizingly banal ditty and I still don't like it. It's been covered by a wide variety of singers, and not a single one has created a version I don't hate.

Sorry.

• Love 2
On 9/30/2021 at 11:07 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I hope die-hard Sesame Street fans won't figuratively (or literally) eviscerate me, but here goes:

Even as a kid, I thought "Sing" was an agonizingly banal ditty and I still don't like it. It's been covered by a wide variety of singers, and not a single one has created a version I don't hate.

Sorry.

Wow.

I haven't thought about that song in YEARS. It's funny because I'm not sure I knew that was from Sesame Street although I certainly heard it all the time back in the 70s. Really, though, Sesame Street had songs that were way better than that, which, yes is rather treacly and banal.

Give me 'C is for Cookie' or 'Rubber Ducky' or 'One of These Things' any day over 'Sing.'

Or 'Mary Had a Bicycle' because that one's awesome.

• Love 1
On 10/4/2021 at 12:48 PM, Dandesun said:

Wow.

I haven't thought about that song in YEARS. It's funny because I'm not sure I knew that was from Sesame Street although I certainly heard it all the time back in the 70s. Really, though, Sesame Street had songs that were way better than that, which, yes is rather treacly and banal.

Give me 'C is for Cookie' or 'Rubber Ducky' or 'One of These Things' any day over 'Sing.'

Or 'Mary Had a Bicycle' because that one's awesome.

Ah, IMO, none of the above hold a candle to 'It's Not Easy Being Green'. While Kermit's original version is poignant enough, it got blown out of the water when guest star Lena Horne gave her rendition of it  to 'console' Kermit himself!

• Love 9

After listening through all of Black Sabbath discography, I've got to say that excluding the album Paranoid (1970), I didn't care much for Ozzy era Black Sabbath. In fact, for me, the best Sabbath albums came from Tony Martin. They had one good album with Dio (Heaven and Hell), but that was mostly because it was so shocking to hear different sound for the first time. Nevertheless, didn't care much for their last two albums, especially the last, for me it was a snooze fest.

Well, it's that time of year again! Here are my unpopular Christmas music opinions:

I don't hate "All I Want for Christmas is You". I just don't, it appeals to my inner teen. I get why others don't like it, but I still have a soft spot for it. 

I love "Jingle Bell Rock", but can't stomach "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree". No, I don't know why, either.

A Charlie Brown Christmas deserves better than that dreary dirge "Christmastime is Here".

I'm convinced "Marshmallow World" could be the premise for an especially disturbing Twilight Zone episode. 

I wish "Somewhere in My Memory" from Home Alone got more love.

• Love 5
On 12/3/2021 at 2:21 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I don't hate "All I Want for Christmas is You". I just don't, it appeals to my inner teen. I get why others don't like it, but I still have a soft spot for it. 

To be clear, are you referring to the Mariah version? Or the other version?

On 12/6/2021 at 1:11 PM, Spartan Girl said:

To be clear, are you referring to the Mariah version? Or the other version?

Two other versions! Vince Vance also uses the title, as posted above, and this from '70s group Foghat (that had a hit with "Slow Ride"), which I know I put the video below somewhere in the holiday thread, but for posterity:

• Love 1

While I'm not a Swiftie or TS stan by any stretch of the imagination, I am loving her version of the Red album.

My favorite is "All Too Well." I forgot how she can grate at times with this one, which I've listened to more times than should be allowed.  She can also spin a good tale and one that hits home. It was like she peeled back the layers to the 22-year-old I was and I had a Jake, too, only his name wasn't Jake and unlike TS, I didn't have the good sense to get out after only a few months. It was 5 years of on-again, off-again, push-pull ridiculousness. Even after I had started dating the man I've been happily married to for nearly two decades, the specter of him loomed large.

She nailed all of those feelings and kind of resurrected stuff I thought was, to quote her, "dead and gone and buried." I think because he was my first love as a young adult and while you can and will fall in love again, you will never, ever be as unguarded as that first time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've never taken a poll about this, but since it pops up so often I'm guessing it's unpopular. I don't like music videos with clips from the tour. We've all seen them. The stage setup, the band rehearsing, goofing around, assorted moments from the actual shows, the inevitable travel antics, and so on.

I suppose I want consistency in my music videos. This morning I watched two videos from another band. One didn't show the band at all, the other was them playing live in the studio. Both very good at what they were doing.

Am I alone in this, or do other people dislike the tour clips?

• Love 3

I don't mind them, depending on the band it can be kinda fun to see how they interact and whatnot....but I agree they often get pretty same-y after a while. A lot of the '80s hair bands had videos like that and after a while it became hard to tell the difference between the bands :p. 

I tend to prefer music videos that are weird and creative and out there, so I like bands that can come up with videos like that much of the time :D. 

• Love 3
  • The Beatles wrote some really basic, middle-school level cringy lyrics that most everyone gives them a pass for. Because, the Beatles.
  • Nirvana's Unplugged In New York is one of the most overrated releases in a long time. Out of tune singing and guitars - they even added extra musicians and it still sounds awful.
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 5/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, Crashcourse said:

I don't get all the hoopla about H.E.R.  I think she's a mediocre singer/musician at best. 

I'm not familiar with her music for the most part.  Think I fast-forwarded through her appearance on SNL.  But I have to admit, she did sound pretty good in that Nationwide commercial.

(edited)
53 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm not familiar with her music for the most part.  Think I fast-forwarded through her appearance on SNL.  But I have to admit, she did sound pretty good in that Nationwide commercial.

I don't think she sounds good at all in that Nationwide commercial.

Edited by Crashcourse
(edited)

I don't get the hatred at all.

Neither did I. But then a song I hated came on the radio, and I asked who sang it and someone told me Nickelback, and I was like, "oh no wonder people hate them." I don't enjoy their music, but I do not actively hate them like I do other bands.

But someone looked into it a while back, and you may find it interesting: https://medium.com/the-riff/why-does-everyone-hate-nickelback-ceb2177c19ca

Scholarly work has been done, too, if you're into that: https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/intellect/mms/2016/00000002/00000001/art00004

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Love the Beatles, but I completely agree.

*whisper* I feel the same about "Yesterday".

I'm right here with you about "Yesterday."  The lyrics are too simple and not in a good way.  There's better break up songs out there.

Some of his songs are all right but Bruce Springsteen doesn't do it much for me.  

Many many great songs I like by Billy Joel....  but he kinda over the last 10-20 years gives off asshole vibes to me as a person.  I could be wrong it's not like I know him.  

• Love 1

I hate "As It Was" by Harry Styles & I guess I'm the only one because this damn song is 15 weeks at the #1 spot on the Billboard chart & doesn't show any sign of going away. Full disclosure, I don't like any of Harry Styles music, & don't understand why he's so popular to begin with, but I really don't understand the popularity of this song. To me, it's mediocre at best, why is it so popular?

• Like 1

I enjoyed Harry’s SNL hosting gig a few years back, but he is soooo overexposed right now for me. Between his album, his tour, ever present songs on my addiction TikTok, his acting jobs and his relationship with the director of his movie, I’m over it. Harry, we can’t miss you if you don’t go away!

On 10/6/2022 at 5:14 PM, GaT said:

I hate "As It Was" by Harry Styles & I guess I'm the only one because this damn song is 15 weeks at the #1 spot on the Billboard chart & doesn't show any sign of going away. Full disclosure, I don't like any of Harry Styles music, & don't understand why he's so popular to begin with, but I really don't understand the popularity of this song. To me, it's mediocre at best, why is it so popular?

I'm pretty much really out of the loop with popular music today.  Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus come to my head but even they might be considered old already?

But I listened to the song as I never heard it despite how popular it is.  I mean I don't think it's bad but wow 15 weeks at number 1?  That's crazy 

• Like 1
On 8/23/2022 at 4:28 AM, quangtran said:

Britney was/is an empty shell of a person long before her conservatorship was in place.

I felt bad for her with what she went through.

But I never really liked her music.  Christina was always the more hotter, interesting, better singer of the two to me 

• Like 1
On 9/26/2022 at 11:52 AM, BlueSkies said:

It’s unfortunate what happened to him but as a musician to me John Lennon is just sorta all right.  His song Imagine doesn’t do much for me 

I agree!  While his murder in front of his wife was horrific and the perp deserved the book thrown at him, I have to agree about 'Imagine'.

IMO, it epitomizes how myopically conceited Mr. Lennon had become in  from the late 1960's onward via trying to pitch himself as some kind of pacifist proletarian prophet when in reality he was a loaded, entitled boor to virtually all his nearest and dearest (e.g. even his younger son Sean has admitted that he suffered permanent hearing loss due to how LOUDLY his father had yelled at him once as a tiny child).

• Mind Blown 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Perhaps this isn’t unpopular but I always found Lady Gaga beautiful in a unique way.  Best butt in the entertainment world 

Somewhere, Kylie Minogue is crying.

• LOL 4