Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions about Music

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

I get that a lot of people don't like "My Funny Valentine", and I'm not going waste time defending it, because their criticisms are 100% valid. The song is basically one big, fat "neg", and that really isn't cool.

AND YET...

For whatever reason, I don't find "My Funny Valentine" nearly as noxious and repellant as "Something Stupid". "Something Stupid" is just a smarmy, depressing ode to toxic, loveless, utterly one-sided relationships and it sets my teeth on edge. Even if it's meant to be taken as a joke, I don't find it funny in the least. 

• Like 3
On 11/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, BlueSkies said:

I used to like Stevie Wonder but overtime it seems he got oversaturated.  At least to me 

I Just Called to Say I Love You is one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 11/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

For whatever reason, I don't find "My Funny Valentine" nearly as noxious and repellant as "Something Stupid". "Something Stupid" is just a smarmy, depressing ode to toxic, loveless, utterly one-sided relationships and it sets my teeth on edge. Even if it's meant to be taken as a joke, I don't find it funny in the least. 

Are you talking about the song by Frank & Nancy Sinatra?  Because that song isn't about a relationship at all.  It's about a lovesick fan taking a chance at expressing their adoration to the object of their affection, because they think they're so different from all the other obsessed fans when in reality they're not, and failing miserably.  Personally I love that song, but I get it if it's not someone else's cup of tea.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/30/2022 at 10:40 AM, proserpina65 said:

Are you talking about the song by Frank & Nancy Sinatra?  Because that song isn't about a relationship at all.  It's about a lovesick fan taking a chance at expressing their adoration to the object of their affection, because they think they're so different from all the other obsessed fans when in reality they're not, and failing miserably.  Personally I love that song, but I get it if it's not someone else's cup of tea.

If you get the chance, try to catch the version that John Davidson did with the late legendary Cass Elliot. Not only did Miss Elliot easily sing circles around Miss Sinatra but the duo weren't  related so the listeners could enjoy the song lyrics more!

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
On 12/3/2022 at 11:25 PM, Blergh said:

If you get the chance, try to catch the version that John Davidson did with the late legendary Cass Elliot. Not only did Miss Elliot easily sing circles around Miss Sinatra but the duo weren't  related so the listeners could enjoy the song lyrics more!

I'll have to check that out.

• Like 1

I moved into a new place earlier this year, and over time, the drawbacks have become apparent. In this case, there are going to be carolers in the park right beside and below me. This used to be such a classy suburb. :(

No, I do not like christmas music very much. And 2.5 hours is more than anyone should be subjected to. If I close all the doors and watch a loud action movie, maybe I can drown it out.

• Hugs 3

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, although judging by how often I hear it on the local pop station, the song appears to be popular:

I hate the Rihanna song from Wakanda Forever.  It's formulaic and trite, and quite frankly boring as hell.  It practically puts me to sleep.

• Like 1

I hate that "Last Christmas" is the new Christmas standard. I find it to be the dullest, whiniest, lamest of break-up songs that doesn't even tie into Christmas, and yes, I'm bitter that I often have to hear it 4-8 times a day while I'm at work, why do you ask?!?!

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I hate that "Last Christmas" is the new Christmas standard. I find it to be the dullest, whiniest, lamest of break-up songs that doesn't even tie into Christmas, and yes, I'm bitter that I often have to hear it 4-8 times a day while I'm at work, why do you ask?!?!

I did like Emilia Clarke’s version from the movie Last Christmas, but only because she looked so cute and gave it some pep.

Edited by Spartan Girl
On 5/29/2021 at 10:08 AM, katha said:

I like most of Metallica's controversial 90ies stuff. Yeah, the try-hard aesthetic was hit or miss, "Re-Load" has too much useless filler and Ulrich started talking way too much.

And "S&M" really holds up as an album and a reimagining of the band's catalog in a different musical context, no matter how uncool people thought it was at the time. 

I love Load and ReLoad.  Especially if you combine the good songs from both into one playlist.

S&M, however, was a hot mess. Kamen's arrangements do nothing to provide accents or harmony to the songs and result in extraneous noise, just like he completely ruined the end of Queensryche's "Real World" from the Last Action Hero soundtrack.

The only songs I can even stand are the two unreleased tunes, "No Leaf Clover" and "-Human."

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I love Load and ReLoad.  Especially if you combine the good songs from both into one playlist.

S&M, however, was a hot mess. Kamen's arrangements do nothing to provide accents or harmony to the songs and result in extraneous noise, just like he completely ruined the end of Queensryche's "Real World" from the Last Action Hero soundtrack.

The only songs I can even stand are the two unreleased tunes, "No Leaf Clover" and "-Human."

S&M was the first time I'd heard a band play with an orchestra. It was a revelation. With time, the songs are good enough to stand on their own, they don't need orchestral help. Also, the gimmick is kind of overdone these days, even the black metal band Satyricon has done it. Alien Weaponry did it, and I wasn't impressed.

I like the Therion one, though. They'd been getting more symphonic over the years anyway, it was a natural step. Also, theirs was a double album. One performing classical pieces, the other their actual metal stuff.

And the first time I heard Skalmold, it was with the orchestra backing. Maybe it's just first experience bias, but it suits them.

14 hours ago, Anduin said:

S&M was the first time I'd heard a band play with an orchestra. It was a revelation. With time, the songs are good enough to stand on their own, they don't need orchestral help. Also, the gimmick is kind of overdone these days, even the black metal band Satyricon has done it. Alien Weaponry did it, and I wasn't impressed.

Yngwie's Concerto will always be the gold standard for me, since it was released before the gimmick started (even though Deep Purple and others did it earlier).  On the live DVD, the orchestra opens the show (without him) by playing "Black Star" and it sounds amazing.

New Japan Philharmonic

This "orchestral" approach also turned me on to a lot of symphonic metal bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation.

I've been under the weather for awhile so my mind may be drifting a bit but...

I've been listening online to a fine radio station out of Long Island, WLNG, who often play fabulous songs going back even to the 50s.  However sometimes they throw in some songs that are not so great, such as....

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Taylor.

No offense to Bonnie Taylor but while it was playing I thought "This sounds exactly like a Meat Loaf record".  That's how bombastic the whole thing is.  Not a compliment!

On the Beatles, I don't want to minimize them as some people now do, but the more I hear of their later works, especially post breakup, the more I feel that George's songs are more personal than John or Paul's.  Even as late as the Traveling Wilburys.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, roseha said:

No offense to Bonnie Taylor but while it was playing I thought "This sounds exactly like a Meat Loaf record".  That's how bombastic the whole thing is.  Not a compliment!

I like the song, but what I truly love is the Literal Video take-down of the video:

• LOL 4
20 hours ago, roseha said:

It sounds like a Meat Loaf record because everything Jim Steinman produced pretty much sounded like that.

(Also, it's Bonnie Tyler.)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I sort of liked Mariah Carey as a teenager.  Thought she was hot and liked her music enough.  

Now idk she and her music just haven't aged very well.  While the Christmas song she does is serious overkill every Christmas most her other songs from the 90's dont really do much for me anymore I sued to like: Ex: always be my baby, Fantasy, Hero, Emotions, etc..

On 2/3/2023 at 9:41 PM, BlueSkies said:

I like Christina.  I think she’s just a misunderstood shy person.  But a tough girl nonetheless 

Back in the day when both she and Britney were really popular I was always a Christina fan. I didn't dislike Britney but I never really listened to any of her music besides the singles from her albums that would come out and their videos.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Jaded said:

Back in the day when both she and Britney were really popular I was always a Christina fan. I didn't dislike Britney but I never really listened to any of her music besides the singles from her albums that would come out and their videos.

I guess it's an unpopular opinion for someone that likes Madonna and Christina Aguilera but the performance on the 2003 seemed on the tacky side.

Well Madonna has always loved attention but that was the start of her to me  lowering her standards a bit for attention to look cool with the it girls at the time.  Christina as well really over did it with the self tanner that night and to play up the bad girl image.  And is it turns out her kiss was largely ignored.

So yeah while I thought it was tacky it's still one of the last actual music performances I recall watching on the video music awards.  

• Like 1
On 12/8/2019 at 6:56 PM, 27bored said:

Anybody remember Savage Garden? They had a few minor pop hits in the 90s (I think their most well known one was “Truly Madly Deeply”, but I was a fan of “I Knew I Loved You”, long title and all). Well, the lead singer struck out on his own and released a solo album in 2002. It was alright, I guess. I liked the guy’s voice, but the songs were kind of forgettable. Well, except the lead single, “Insatiable”.

I feel like he works the post-MJ falsetto loverman thing here better than most who have tried. He sounds like a classically-trained first tenor who’s just entering into the realm of pop singing. Even though it’s been years and years since I’ve heard this song, I still hang on to every word. His breathy intensity actually elevated what is actually a pretty by-the-numbers mid-tempo pop ballad.

I think a keen sense of drama and romance goes a long way in pop. We have plenty of women to look to for that, but it’s a little harder to come by in men. So when I hear it, I remember it.

This is an old post, but I am a huge Darren Hayes fan…he actually released two albums after Spin (currently released a third and is touring the US for the first time in years), but just wanted to say that I love his falsetto and not for nothing, I thought Spin was hot trash (he didn’t like it either), his album after (The Tension and the Spark) was AMAZING!! 

This is by far my favorite from the album but another great one is Popular 

• Useful 1

I think Ariana Grande has a beautiful voice, but I’m surprised when people prefer her to Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey. Her voice doesn’t sound as mature or strong to me. As amazing as her voice is, her own songs don’t even show off what she can do. She tends to sing in this cutesy manner. It’s when she impersonates/covers other singers that you see what she’s capable of. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Don’t Stop Believing by Journey was a good song for it’s time but it’s played out so much now the song sucks 

Yeah, I'm sick of Don't Stop Believin'. Been hearing that song since I was 8 going on 9, when it came out! (I'm now 50!)

Stone In Love, off that same album, Escape, was always a better song to me, anyway!

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I liked it until Glee ruined it.

That show turned out to be such a cursed disaster in the long run that I try to forget that I ever watched it. 

On 3/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, RealHousewife said:

I think Ariana Grande has a beautiful voice, but I’m surprised when people prefer her to Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey. Her voice doesn’t sound as mature or strong to me. As amazing as her voice is, her own songs don’t even show off what she can do. She tends to sing in this cutesy manner. It’s when she impersonates/covers other singers that you see what she’s capable of. 

That voice she uses kind of reminds me of the voice Britney was rumored to have been told to use. Even though it didn't sound like she used it all the time. I remember reading claims that altering her singing voice for so long affected her real one.

Here's what might be an unpopular opinion to some. I've never cared for Katy Perry's music. I've tried in the past so it's not like I never gave it a chance. I'm not sure what kind of a person she is IRL although some of her antics on AI that make the news make me wonder about her.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, Jaded said:

That show turned out to be such a cursed disaster in the long run that I try to forget that I ever watched it. 

Glee for a lack of a better word looked too much on the effeminate side for me when I saw the commercials back in the day.  

Then sometimes maybe I think I should have at least given it a chance before thinking it looked distasteful.  But yeah I definitely appreciate your input.  Doesn't make me feel bad at all 

Everyone is going to think I'm a heartless old bitch... because I am, so I have nothing to lose by declaring my intense loathing of "We Are Family". For decades it's been cropping up in every piece of media to signify friendship, unity, and all that crap, and I am so sick of it it hurts. There are countless other, better songs that convey the message of togetherness, think outside the fucking box!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
On 4/23/2023 at 1:29 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Everyone is going to think I'm a heartless old bitch... because I am, so I have nothing to lose by declaring my intense loathing of "We Are Family". For decades it's been cropping up in every piece of media to signify friendship, unity, and all that crap, and I am so sick of it it hurts. There are countless other, better songs that convey the message of togetherness, think outside the fucking box!

Kool and The Gang is a group I like but their song Celebration I feel a little the same way about.  Its been years since I've been to a wedding and being an anti social person by nature I'm not much a party goer.

But yeah that song always came up at these events!  Not sure it still does but it feels a little played out 

• Like 3
(edited)

Scenes from an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel is anther song that's extremely played out at this point where I don't like the song anymore.  

This is one of his best songs imo.  Maybe its because it's not nearly as known/played

Edited by BlueSkies
On 4/18/2023 at 9:21 PM, Crashcourse said:

I think Pentatonix is waaaaayyyy  overrated.

Yeah, there is some talent there, but it's drowned out by their penchant for oversinging and the most godawful arrangements possible.  All I can think of when I hear them is "high school competition group".

• Like 1

*sigh* This is a tough one for me. 

Tina Turner.  I even have her Private Dancer album from the 80s.  Now, maybe my older ears have gotten more sensitive, but I cannot stand listening to her husky, gravelly voice now.  "What's Love Got To Do With It?" was playing on the radio when I was driving today, and I changed the station.  She wasn't that great of a singer, and all she had were the legs (which weren't that great).

51 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

*sigh* This is a tough one for me. 

Tina Turner.  I even have her Private Dancer album from the 80s.  Now, maybe my older ears have gotten more sensitive, but I cannot stand listening to her husky, gravelly voice now.  "What's Love Got To Do With It?" was playing on the radio when I was driving today, and I changed the station.  She wasn't that great of a singer, and all she had were the legs (which weren't that great).

Look, I think Tina Turner is great, and if someone thinks she's greater than great, that's fine... but I'm sick of hearing that she's only woman of a "certain age" allowed to wear short skirts! Ladies, wear your skirts as short as you damn well please!!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Look, I think Tina Turner is great, and if someone thinks she's greater than great, that's fine... but I'm sick of hearing that she's only woman of a "certain age" allowed to wear short skirts! Ladies, wear your skirts as short as you damn well please!!

Well, my comment was about her singing--not about her short skirts (which has nothing to do with her age, btw).

Edited by Crashcourse
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I agree with you. I think Tina has perfect-looking legs, but there are plenty of women of a "certain age" who also have beautiful legs, and even if someone doesn't have legs that are considered hot, wear the skirts anyway if you want!

That said, what is up with all the female performers ditching pants entirely and practically or literally having their butt cheeks hanging out? I've noticed it with J. Lo, Beyonce, Gaga, Ariana, Nicki, Dua, Taylor, etc. They all often perform in leotards. Is it because they're easier to dance in? Is it because they are simply proud of their bodies? Is it due to pressure of other performers doing it and the whole sex sells? 

I think if you are happy and comfortable with your outfit, all good. But it's just something I've noticed, and I personally like more understatedly sexy like the aforementioned Tina Turner. She has a banging body and shows it, but she didn't get down to what might as well be bras and panties.

Coldplay are doing a show in my city. Someone shared a screenshot of the online booking queue. It was up to 126,000. I don't see what the appeal is. They're the most boring band I can think of, possibly because I've forgotten anyone more boring.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
29 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I mean R.I.P and all but I still cant bring myself to want to listen to Tony Bennett 

No one should have to listen to the crooners if they don't want to.

On that note, there was this second hand bookshop. Overstocked, all the shelves were chock full and there were stacks of books on the floor too. One shelf had cracked, but was kept upright by all the books below. Hard to extract what you wanted. A real fire hazard. How it made any money is beyond me. But the worst part, when the owner put Dean Martin on the stereo and even started singing along! Yeah, I hurried out. Terrible.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
8 minutes ago, Anduin said:

No one should have to listen to the crooners if they don't want to.

On that note, there was this second hand bookshop. Overstocked, all the shelves were chock full and there were stacks of books on the floor too. One shelf had cracked, but was kept upright by all the books below. Hard to extract what you wanted. A real fire hazard. How it made any money is beyond me. But the worst part, when the owner put Dean Martin on the stereo and even started singing along! Yeah, I hurried out. Terrible.

I think “That’s Amore” is a stupid song. Go ahead and judge me.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1