Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions about Music

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, UYI said:

Maybe it's not, I just always tend to see a lot of love for the latter song, and I hear it on the radio MUCH more often. 

That's true.  My eight year old niece heard "Beautiful" on the radio the other day, and told her mother, "Mom, this lady moans, really good!".

She'd never heard Christina Aguilera, before, lol.

• Love 4
On 11/19/2018 at 12:14 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

The lady's voice annoys the crap out of me.

On 11/20/2018 at 1:33 AM, Sweet Summer Child said:

Seconded.

How dare either one of you disrespect Queen Voodoo Goddess Amy Lee?!

Yeah, her voice is an acquired taste.

How do you guys feel about Halsey, then? Her voice is like a weaker, less technically proficient version of Amy Lee’s.

1 hour ago, 27bored said:

How do you guys feel about Halsey, then? Her voice is like a weaker, less technically proficient version of Amy Lee’s.

Based on the one minute I just watched, she's a bit less whiny and better looking. But there's better out there, just not in the pop genre.

4 hours ago, 27bored said:

I won't lie, I actually really like her, specifically "Bad at Love" and, even though I knew it would be a bad idea the minute they broke up (which they did), the song "Him & I" she did with G-Eazy.

More than even those songs, though, she has been really outspoken about women's rights/active in donating to them, so even if there are songs of hers that I'm less crazy about, I like her just for that alone, too. 

5 hours ago, 27bored said:

How dare either one of you disrespect Queen Voodoo Goddess Amy Lee?!

Yeah, her voice is an acquired taste.

Ugh, I dislike pretty much everything about Halsey. She reminds me of a 14 year old mall goth who thinks she's way edgier than she actually is.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, 27bored said:

How do you guys feel about Halsey, then? 

I'm pretty meh about much of her music (sick to death of "Bad at Love" & "Him & I", though I do like "Without Me"). To me, the most interesting thing about her is she's black.

I not only still like Meghan Trainor, I like all of the singles she's released this year (especially "Let You Be Right"), and I hope her new album does really well when it comes out next month. 

Another UO: "No One Needs to Know" by Shania Twain does not get anywhere NEAR the amount of love it deserves. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Joe said:

Based on the one minute I just watched, she's a bit less whiny and better looking. But there's better out there, just not in the pop genre.

9 hours ago, UYI said:

I won't lie, I actually really like her, specifically "Bad at Love" and, even though I knew it would be a bad idea the minute they broke up (which they did), the song "Him & I" she did with G-Eazy.

More than even those songs, though, she has been really outspoken about women's rights/active in donating to them, so even if there are songs of hers that I'm less crazy about, I like her just for that alone, too. 

7 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Ugh, I dislike pretty much everything about Halsey. She reminds me of a 14 year old mall goth who thinks she's way edgier than she actually is.

6 hours ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

I think she's boring.

4 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm pretty meh about much of her music (sick to death of "Bad at Love" & "Him & I", though I do like "Without Me"). To me, the most interesting thing about her is she's black.

So kind of a mixed bag? I kinda feel like Halsey is better at being a pop star than she is at being a musician. Her song Strangers could’ve been Song of the Summer last year when her last album came out, but instead Halsey was pushing the Bad at Love car jingle and showing up on magazines with her leg propped up. They just released a video for that song a few months ago. 

I kinda feel like the social activism and relationship drama are propelling her career more than the music. I, too, like Without Me, but going back to Amy Lee...I’d kinda like to hear her tackle some of Halsey’s material. I feel like she has better vocal presence, even if her voice is an acquired taste.

I feel like live music is kind of overrated in many cases. Like, I have been to some great live shows, but even in the best case you still have to spend a bunch of time standing around and often overheating, in a place that may or may not be a firetrap (*cough*St Vitus Bar). The crowd might be dead which will ruin the show even if the band is good. If it's a more popular band, especially in the NYC area, the venue will have seats instead of standing room only which sucks if it's a band that traditionally would call for a moshpit. TBH, I don't have much interest in seeing bands that don't call for a moshpit or at least some sort of audience jumping around and crushing each other situation. 

But the #1 reason why live music is overrated for me is because for some reason, my brain usually doesn't remember any of the shows I go to besides a vague impression of what happened. I've seen tons of great shows and I hardly remember any of them besides that they were great! And not because of substance use either because I'm not one of those people who gets super drunk/high at shows. It really only has value for me as an in the moment experience. Does this happen to anyone else?

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave

I prefer studio albums/tracks to live albums/tracks.  I don't know if this is unpopular, but according to the people I know, it is.  Why would I want to listen to crowd noise when the studio version is the way it's meant to be heard, for the vast majority of listeners?

There are exceptions to the rule, of course: Cheap Trick's I Want You To Want Me, and Jane's Addiction's Jane Says have much better live versions.  But, I stand by my opinion.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

I prefer studio albums/tracks to live albums/tracks.  I don't know if this is unpopular, but according to the people I know, it is.  Why would I want to listen to crowd noise when the studio version is the way it's meant to be heard, for the vast majority of listeners?

There are exceptions to the rule, of course: Cheap Trick's I Want You To Want Me, and Jane's Addiction's Jane Says have much better live versions.  But, I stand by my opinion.

One case where I prefer the live albums to the studio albums is the Grateful Dead--which, of course, was their preference, too.

I largely prefer studio albums, but if there are good live performances, I'm always willing to listen to them. So I'm in the middle, I guess. :) 

• Love 3
On 12/9/2018 at 5:39 PM, Sweet Summer Child said:

That's true.  My eight year old niece heard "Beautiful" on the radio the other day, and told her mother, "Mom, this lady moans, really good!".

She'd never heard Christina Aguilera, before, lol.

You know I never thought about it but it would be mildly jarring to hear Christina on the radio these days. Not because it’s been awhile but think of how she sings. The runs and the high notes  and whatnot. Most singers don’t serve vocals first like Christina, just on a stylistic level. 

Speaking of someone who could: Ariana Grande. I heard Imagine the other day and...I’m sorry, it’s another goose-egg for me. It’s more cute song in a cute voice by a cute girl. Moreover the song has a weird Holiday Musical soundtrack vibe to it that amps up the already baked in pageantry with Ariana. 

• Love 1
On 12/12/2018 at 9:40 AM, Enigma X said:

I prefer studio albums too, but will say I love hearing Springsteen live performances. 

Well, Springsteen live is a whole other kettle of fish. I'll take him either way but live is something special. I watched Springsteen on Broadway last night and I think he broke something inside me... small things just make me cry due to overwhelming emotion. Plus, that rendition of Born in the USA was incredible.

22 hours ago, WritinMan said:

Outside of maybe four songs, I can't stand The Beach Boys.

Y'all are killing me. I grew up on the Beach Boys. My parents were SoCal born and raised through the 50s and 60s so the Beach Boys were a soundtrack to my very young life. Especially since we moved away from California for many many years. 'Endless Summer' is a perennial feel good album for me.

• Love 4

My mom liked some of the Beach Boys' music, but she said that it was harder for her to really get into a lot of their surf-related songs, given she grew up in Iowa. Not exactly a surfing destination, this state :p. 

My dad, meanwhile, grew up in California and loved their music. He even told me a story once about how, when he was a kid, he noticed them practicing in their garage once. This was before they really hit big, too, I think. I pretty much just know all their big hits, but I do like them. 

23 minutes ago, UYI said:

Here's a Beach Boys UO:

No matter how corny it is or how many fans despise Mike Love, I will always love the song "Kokomo." 

I'll back you up on this one. I remember hearing that song on the radio a lot when I was a kid, so I think that factors into my liking it. 

• Love 1

I think the Beach Boys car songs were a bit more 'universal' to kids at the time but the surf songs were all about that Southern California fantasy and fed into the whole culture. Neither of my parents surfed (but that's fair, the only Beach Boy who surfed was Dennis) but they hung out at Huntington Beach. Not just Huntington, they had specific lifeguard chairs they hung around. (My Dad's was 8. My Mom's was 6, if I recall.) That was their life... they saw Dick Dale and Jan and Dean at the Pier. So all of that music wasn't just the SoCal fantasy... it was daily life. My Mom talks about how they used to cruise Tweedy Blvd... so all of that: American Graffiti, Gidget, Endless Summer and ALL of the surf style and music and was the soundtrack to their actual lives.

• Love 3
On 12/16/2018 at 2:28 PM, Enigma X said:

I only find "Good Vibrations" palatable.

After checking my music collection, it appears to be just three for me:

Good Vibrations

Barbara Ann

Sloop John B

Edited by WritinMan
2 hours ago, WritinMan said:

After checking my music collection, it appears to be just three for me:

Good Vibrations

Barbara Ann

Sloop John B

One for me: Sloop John B.  Other than that, I just don't care for The Beach Boys.  I don't hate their music by any means, but that's the only song of theirs I actually listen to; anything else, I switch stations to find something better.

And I'm the same way with The Beatles, minus any one song I truly like, speaking of unpopular opinions.  

• Love 1

My list of my favorite 60's rock bands:

1. The Doors

2. The Who

3. The Rolling Stones (those last two go back and forth for me tbh)

4. The Beatles

Actually, you could probably put The Beach Boys just ahead of the Beatles, too. 

Edited by UYI
34 minutes ago, Bastet said:

One for me: Sloop John B.  Other than that, I just don't care for The Beach Boys.  I don't hate their music by any means, but that's the only song of theirs I actually listen to; anything else, I switch stations to find something better.

And I'm the same way with The Beatles, minus any one song I truly like, speaking of unpopular opinions.  

Not much of a Beatles fan either. They did some really good songs, for every one of those, there's about 5 songs I don't like. Was never a fan of The Doors either.

But, for the record, I am still a big fan of 60s/70s rock! Love The Stones, and I also really like The Who and Led Zeppelin.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Not much of a Beatles fan either. They did some really good songs, for every one of those, there's about 5 songs I don't like. Was never a fan of The Doors either.

But, for the record, I am still a big fan of 60s/70s rock! Love The Stones, and I also really like The Who and Led Zeppelin.

Love the Stones and Led Zeppelin is my favorite band.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:01 AM, UYI said:

Here's a Beach Boys UO:

No matter how corny it is or how many fans despise Mike Love, I will always love the song "Kokomo." 

I forgot about "Kokomo".  I like it, too.  The chorus is catchy.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Love the Stones and Led Zeppelin is my favorite band.

There was a discussion, forget which thread, asking: Beatles or Stones? Great debate ensued. You all can have The Stones (I do like some songs from them, but not a ton). I'll take The Beatles every day and twice on Sundays.  😎

• Love 2

Man, everyone forgets about the Kinks. I love music from the 60s (again... my parents) so I love them all... Beatles, Stones, Who, Doors, Kinks, the Association, etc etc etc.

But there are definite songs I'm kind of tired of even from my favorites.

'Paint It, Black' for example. Kind of a let down when it comes on the radio. I think I've just heard way too much of it. 'Revolution' is another one. 'In My Life' -- I feel I could go the rest of my life without hearing that song in any capacity. Did EVERYONE decide to cover it? Especially in the 80s?! Oh, and when Pandora was new, it played 'Imagine' so. many. times. that I cannot stand to hear it anymore. Just no. I'll take 'Instant Karma' please. I'll take fucking 'Cold Turkey' before I have to sit through 'Imagine' again.

• Love 3
On 12/16/2018 at 7:15 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I only really like "God Only Knows". One or two others are tolerable. The rest? Meh.

My go-to Beach Boys song is "Catch a Wave".  On the other hand....

On 12/17/2018 at 12:01 PM, UYI said:

Here's a Beach Boys UO:

...I hate "Kokomo" with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.  It is one of probably 3 songs that get an immediate radio station change when it comes on. 

• Like 1

Whenever I watch a music video for Heilung, Wardruna, or other nordic type music, I always see some rather dodgy comments that kind of feel a bit racist. Like "This is a echo of my Ancestors" or "With this song I can see the gates of valhalla" . While I'm of British and thus probably Scandiavian descent, I like music from other cultures too. I'm fine listening to hip hop, though I'm not African American. I listen to Russian folk music, Hindi chants, the soundtracks to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon* and Black Panther*. And I prefer coffee to tea. :)

*Yes, I'm aware of the white influence on both of these. Just go with it, okay?

Music shouldn't have racial or national boundaries. Listen to what you enjoy, regardless of what internet bozos say. And maybe not overthink it.

• Love 2

By and large, I don't like going to concerts much any more, because I've been to one too many where my train of thought ends up being this:

• 5 minutes into the main act's performance: Wait, I need to check my ticket to see if I accidentally bought tickets to a tribute band rather than the real thing.
  • 15 minutes into the main act's performance: Guess I missed the memo that you have to be drunk/high to enjoy the live performance, judging by the impaired cognitive states of the people around me who are clapping/cheering enthusiastically.
  • 30 minutes into the main act's performance: Uh, exactly how much help do you people need in the studio, anyway, to sound decent? I know a vocalist can have a bad live performance for a variety of reasons such as a cold, sinus infection, etc., but shouldn't guitarists actually be able to play the correct notes and keep time for the majority of the performance? 

Consequently, I rarely like live albums, with a few exceptions. I much prefer most of what's on Cheap Trick's Live at Budokan album to the corresponding studio tracks. I also liked Peter Frampton's live album, which was his breakthrough album, although there are some tracks from later studio albums that I like. My biggest reversal on live versus studio, though, has to be with the Finnish group HIM, which disbanded last year after 20 or so years together (amicably, which is good because a bad breakup by a band tends to sour me on them). There are quite a few songs of theirs that I heard studio versions of first, and was pretty meh on, but when I listened to/watched their live performances on the Digital Versatile Doom DVD, I immediately liked those songs. 

I can't stand the Beach Boys. I loved the Beatles growing up, but after losing most of my vinyl in a theft a couple of decades ago, I have never felt the urge to replace any of those albums with digital versions. There are still a couple of their songs I like, but not overly much. What I feel about the Rolling Stones is probably blasphemy to their fans: With other bands, I can listen to their early songs and their later songs and hear the evolution of their style. With the Stones, I can't do that at all; for me, at least, virtually any of their songs from one decade could just as easily be plunked down into another decade and I wouldn't get a sense of it being out of place. I get that they're very talented and have incorporated a lot of different musical influences into their songs, but 99% of their work just leaves me indifferent. 

On a different subject entirely, I haven't actively listened to a huge amount of Taylor Swift's music, mostly just heard bits and pieces on the radio in passing, and of course have seen mentions of her in entertainment articles, so I'm generally aware of her popularity and so forth. I found some of the bits and pieces catchy, and found only one song (You Belong to Me) obnoxious. After reading that "Look What You Made Me Do" had received a billion views on YouTube, I decided to  go check it out, and then also watched some of her other videos as well. Based on admittedly limited exposure, my opinion is that Taylor Swift is a good songwriter, a great performer, and a mediocre vocalist. I also think a lot of the pushback she's gotten for using her personal relationships as fodder for her songs is just gender bias rearing its ugly head again. Tons of male singer/songwriters have done the same thing, albeit often without as much publicity about their personal lives, and yet I've rarely seen a male singer called out for "exploiting" his relationships. It's just kind of accepted that male songwriters use their personal heartbreaks/ bad relationships and so forth to fuel their songs, so why is it somehow different when a female songwriter does the same thing?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

On a different subject entirely, I haven't actively listened to a huge amount of Taylor Swift's music, mostly just heard bits and pieces on the radio in passing, and of course have seen mentions of her in entertainment articles, so I'm generally aware of her popularity and so forth. I found some of the bits and pieces catchy, and found only one song (You Belong to Me) obnoxious. After reading that "Look What You Made Me Do" had received a billion views on YouTube, I decided to  go check it out, and then also watched some of her other videos as well. Based on admittedly limited exposure, my opinion is that Taylor Swift is a good songwriter, a great performer, and a mediocre vocalist. I also think a lot of the pushback she's gotten for using her personal relationships as fodder for her songs is just gender bias rearing its ugly head again. Tons of male singer/songwriters have done the same thing, albeit often without as much publicity about their personal lives, and yet I've rarely seen a male singer called out for "exploiting" his relationships. It's just kind of accepted that male songwriters use their personal heartbreaks/ bad relationships and so forth to fuel their songs, so why is it somehow different when a female songwriter does the same thing?

For me, it's the manipulative, calculating way she does it that puts me off.  I have nothing against songwriters writing about their real life relationships- after all, that's what most of them do, male, or female- but Taylor constantly bends the narrative to make herself look like the victim, no matter what really happened, and it's all to get publicity and sell albums.  She doesn't seem to care if she drags another person's reputation through the mud, as long as she comes out on top.  There is no maturity or insight to what she does, it seems to be pure venom, like she just can't let anything go, no matter how minor it is.  She can write a catchy pop song, sure, but Carly Simon, she ain't.

ETA: I should mention that I hated Justin Timberlake for doing this, too, so it isn't about gender.  That loser kept writing about Britney cheating on him, YEARS after the fact.  Okay, someone you loved hurt you, fair enough, but the time comes when you have to get the fuck over it, and stop using it for your own professional/financial gain.  That's what you do, if you want to grow as an artist.

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 2

I think the tendency to paint herself as the victim in a relationship that has gone bad is more a function of age than anything else, but again, that's something I've seen pretty consistently across people in general, male and female, musical artists and lay people. Yes, there are songs out there in which the narrative is essentially "I fucked up this relationship and am sorry," but the default narrative in songs about recently ended relationships tends to be "My significant other completely screwed me over."  But that ties in to what I've observed about the revisionist history that occurs when a couple breaks up; there tends to be the stage of painting the other person as either completely horrible or completely wonderful, followed by bitterness about the time/emotional energy invested in the relationship, and eventually a more neutral acceptance that the relationship/other person had both good and bad aspects. 

As for Justin Timberlake, I remember all the hype about "Sexy Back" being the most amazing thing since sliced bread, and when I finally listened to it, my reaction was essentially "WTF do people find amazing about this song?" I don't hate the song, but nothing about it seems especially wonderful, innovative, remarkable, etc. However, I am frequently not impressed by songs/music videos that many people apparently find praiseworthy. For example, I loathe Beyonce's "Single Ladies" because it essentially implies that relationships that don't end in marriage  have no value, and also because to me it's a prime example of a video where "dancing" is used as a poor substitute for meaningful content.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

As for Justin Timberlake, I remember all the hype about "Sexy Back" being the most amazing thing since sliced bread, and when I finally listened to it, my reaction was essentially "WTF do people find amazing about this song?" I don't hate the song, but nothing about it seems especially wonderful, innovative, remarkable, etc. However, I am frequently not impressed by songs/music videos that many people apparently find praiseworthy. For example, I loathe Beyonce's "Single Ladies" because it essentially implies that relationships that don't end in marriage  have no value, and also because to me it's a prime example of a video where "dancing" is used as a poor substitute for meaningful content.

I've disliked "Sexy Back" since the first time I heard it. First, I hate songs where something is repeated over & over & over again, hearing "Get your sexy on go 'head, be gone with it" gives me a nervous twitch. Second, Timbaland can't produce a song without inserting himself into it, something I find extremely annoying.

• Love 4

I'll preface this with the fact that I don't know a lot of Taylor's songs-especially the newer ones.  But, of the ones I know, my opinion is that, while it may not be the catchiest song she's ever done, Tim McGraw is her best song.

16 hours ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

For me, it's the manipulative, calculating way she does it that puts me off.  I have nothing against songwriters writing about their real life relationships- after all, that's what most of them do, male, or female- but Taylor constantly bends the narrative to make herself look like the victim, no matter what really happened, and it's all to get publicity and sell albums.  She doesn't seem to care if she drags another person's reputation through the mud, as long as she comes out on top.  There is no maturity or insight to what she does, it seems to be pure venom, like she just can't let anything go, no matter how minor it is.  She can write a catchy pop song, sure, but Carly Simon, she ain't.

She would also capitalize certain letters (or in the case of 1989, lowercase certain letters) in the lyric booklets of her albums, which gave clues about what each of her songs were about, which made it very easy for her fans to go on a scavenger hunt and figure out who those people are--and in the case of someone like Camilla Belle, who Joe Jonas ended his relationship with Taylor for, this would be particularly painful, as "Better Than Revenge" more or less calls her a worthless slut, and Taylor's fans have been pretty cruel to her over the years.

To be fair, though, she didn't do this on Reputation, so that, combined with the fact that she doesn't do interviews anymore, has softened me on her a bit. I have all of her albums and have plenty of songs of hers that I genuinely like, but she has been problematic AF in the past and generally has gotten off WAY too easy for it.

I'll admit though, that some of issue with her is that we're the same age, and it's hard not to feel ugly and unaccomplished compared to her. It's a weakness of mine. -_- ;)

*ahem* Anyway. 

While I'm talking about her here, here's a Taylor UO:

There are many people think Speak Now is her best album. I agree with this. I don't know how many people actually like the title track to that album, though. That's my UO: It's one of my favorite songs of hers, period.

Also: I understand why so many of her fans love All Too Well and think it's her best song ever, but I actually prefer Sad Beautiful Tragic, which is on the same album (Red). 

Edited by UYI

One more UO:

Rebecca Lynn Howard deserved to be a bigger star in country music than she was. I've been listening to some of her stuff these last few days and I LOVE it! (Ditto Deborah Allen--she should have been a bigger star, too!) 

And since you've been commenting recently here @Sweet Summer Child: I really do want to THANK YOU again for what you said in the country music thread when I posted that 100 Greatest Women list from Country Universe's website. Truth be told, I've only started really getting into country these last few years, and there's still a BUNCH more artists/songs--old and new--that I still need to acquaint myself with. I know it's not considered as "cool" to listen to country (especially the super old stuff) as it is to listen to pop or rock, so I'm glad to see that my passion and joy for the genre has come across when I post about it. It's really been something that I've been so happy to discover and learn more about.

...I'm sure there's another UO in there somewhere. :) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, UYI said:

and in the case of someone like Camilla Belle, who Joe Jonas ended his relationship with Taylor for, this would be particularly painful, as "Better Than Revenge" more or less calls her a worthless slut, and Taylor's fans have been pretty cruel to her over the years.

OK, this probably isn't so much an unpopular opinion as an embarrassing one. I used to be heavily into the Twilight movies & Robert Pattinson (still like him, Twilight...not so much) & Camilla Belle was (and may still be) a friend of his & gave an interview to Nylon magazine which included the quote

My friend Rob, for that whole Twilight nonsense

Causing much uproar in the Twilight fandom & I've hated her ever since. You go Taylor LOL

2 hours ago, GaT said:

OK, this probably isn't so much an unpopular opinion as an embarrassing one. I used to be heavily into the Twilight movies & Robert Pattinson (still like him, Twilight...not so much) & Camilla Belle was (and may still be) a friend of his & gave an interview to Nylon magazine which included the quote

Causing much uproar in the Twilight fandom & I've hated her ever since. You go Taylor LOL

I'm...confused.

Anyway, it just seemed very gross for Taylor to call her out in a way that she could NEVER really take back, and she never really apologized for it, either, despite using the "young and stupid" excuse later on (I especially hate the "no amount of vintage dresses gives you dignity" line--that's disgusting as all hell and Camilla has EVERY right to hate her for that for the rest of her life). Not a good look, IMO, no matter how young and hurt she may have been.

One more UO:

I'm so embarrassed to admit this, because of how chock-full of cliches it is, but I actually don't hate "Boys Round Here". It's too stupid and over the top to really hate, at least to me (except for the "shaking that sugar, sweet as Dixie crystal" line--that's just gross and sexist, and it hurt my 13 year old in 2002, "Soak Up the Sun" loving heart to see Sheryl Crow singing that line at the 2013 ACMs, where a bunch of other country artists guest starred with Blake Shelton on that song--just, NO). 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, UYI said:

And since you've been commenting recently here @Sweet Summer Child: I really do want to THANK YOU again for what you said in the country music thread when I posted that 100 Greatest Women list from Country Universe's website. Truth be told, I've only started really getting into country these last few years, and there's still a BUNCH more artists/songs--old and new--that I still need to acquaint myself with. I know it's not considered as "cool" to listen to country (especially the super old stuff) as it is to listen to pop or rock, so I'm glad to see that my passion and joy for the genre has come across when I post about it. It's really been something that I've been so happy to discover and learn more about.

Aw, thanks! :-D

Count me in as another one who hates Sexy Back.  That song sucks.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, UYI said:

I'm...confused.

Anyway, it just seemed very gross for Taylor to call her out in a way that she could NEVER really take back, and she never really apologized for it, either, despite using the "young and stupid" excuse later on (I especially hate the "no amount of vintage dresses gives you dignity" line--that's disgusting as all hell and Camilla has EVERY right to hate her for that for the rest of her life). Not a good look, IMO, no matter how young and hurt she may have been.

This. Taylor may not sing it in concerts anymore, but it's on albums, it gets radio play, people cover it and it exists to slut shame Camilla. The lines that say that she's slept her way to fame are so gross and over the top in particular and she repeats them every chorus. For me, this song is on the same level of grossness as the Eminem songs where he goes after Christina Aguilera or Mariah Carey.

• Love 2