Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07: Hollywood Round #1

• Start Topic

I agree. Hollywood has always been my favorite part of the show. Time to separate the men from the boys, so to speak. Plus you know there will be some entertaining drama in group round. *rubs hands together in glee*

• Love 1

I love Hollywood week too.  The group songs are my favorite, and often reveal which contestants can roll with the punches and which can't.  I'll never forget Elliott Yamin being singled out for praise by the judges after the Brittenum twins tried to throw him under the bus.

• Love 3

Early on, the woman with the green hair (Jackie) who sang "Centuries" by Fall Out Boy?  That sounded like horrible, screaming to me.  What did everyone else think?

I thought that the Puerto Rican guy who sang "Can't Feel my Face" by The Weeknd was great.

Other than that, I'm sad to see the one guy I was quite intrigued by, the older emo guy with the green eyes, cut.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Ah, we have another patient zero this year!

I really like that they are making the season quick. Less filler episodes.

Po is GRATING. Speaking of grating, Idol superfan didn't annoy me because she was messing with the other Idol superfan who had no business being there (ON HER BIRTHDAY! goes off to cry)

• Love 1

Didn't this show use to have just a little bit of singing on it?  I think we got a grand total of 4 minutes of singing - and spent all our time on one, maybe 2 people from each line.  For a few of the ones we heard, they we're even showing them talking over the singing 'how they've always wanted this'.  God forbid we hear some singing instead of spending 3 minutes on Brenda Starr or showing reruns of people talking about their hopes and dreams (that we just saw a week ago).  That was a truly frustrating hour of television.  No singing on a singing show!

Edited by lyric
  • Love 7

I never knew I had such a lousy ear for music, because I'd have sent home most of the people they kept, especially pretentious Shi's even more pretentious sister, Brenda K. Starr's daughter, Manny, Trent and stupid Chinbeard, and I'd have kept both Melanie and Melany, as well as Harrison.  Really, until we got to Emily at the end, I was beginning to despair of the alleged talent this year.

• Love 2

I am having a very hard time getting invested in this season. I truly believe that since this is the final season, that is the only reason why I'm sticking around. The show has gone from subtle hints to outright in your face that they are looking for a female winner. I don't care if a female or male wins. I only care about the entertainment factor of the show; which currently seems to be lacking so far imo. 

I agree with the op regarding the lack of singing being shown on a singing show competition. I'm just hoping that this season is not going to be the sequel to season twelve.  

Wait-  what just happened with Melanie Tierce?!  I have to believe that there was some other reason besides singing ability that they cut her- perhaps she got signed by another company or something- I can't believe they'd pass through other weak singers and cut her.  No way.

La'Porsha is the first one that involuntarily gave me goosebumps.  I'll take that as a good sign!

Did not enjoy Jordan, worship leader whose wife didn't make it to Hollywood.  Not a winner.  Melanie was head and shoulders beyond him.  I don't get it.

I agree, I like Jaci, but that audition was NOT GOOD.  I agree with putting her through, based on her original audition and history, but that performance was seriously yelly, and out of tune.  

I like her buddy, the spiky haired vocal coach.  I think he will be top 20!  

• Love 4

La'Porsha is the first one that involuntarily gave me goosebumps.  I'll take that as a good sign!

She didn't give me goosebumps, but I did appreciate that she didn't go all shrieky diva on me.  Like Harry (or was it Keith?), I enjoyed her restraint.

I like her buddy, the spiky haired vocal coach.  I think he will be top 20!  

He's like a cute blonde baby Billie Joe Armstrong.  I don't know if you know Jacob Hoggard.  He went kind of far in Canadian Idol now fronts a pretty successful Canadian band.  He sings kinda like that.

I'm sad that the woman who sang "Rise Up" in her audition (and made Keith and I cry - looked it up, Melanie Tierce as mentioned above) kinda crashed and burned.  I didn't think she sang badly - just maybe she didn't stand out?  That was really too bad because I thought she had a lot of potential.

The sleazy guy who liked J.Lo - I remember being so impressed with his D'angelo in his audition. This time he did Bruno Mars and it was kind of strange.  

Po was singing like a drunk or high person, and then all the crying after did not help the cause.  I wonder how grating or tolerable she will be.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I was disappointed to see the background actor go, Harrison Cohen, and young Ethan, the farm boy, the plumber's assistant with the beard (and wife and kid).  Glad Emily and Trent made it, Po can go any time now, I have no interest in her or her sister Shi in the background.  

I like Gianna, but am very tired of them making a big deal of Brenda K Starr, and I like Tristan.  Neither of them performed as well as in the audition, though.  

I saw the chicken farm girl from Alabama who had written her own song for the audition, with the long blonde hair- did she make it though?  I saw her in line but not if she made it or not.  

Edited by awaken

Whenever we see Po it just reminds me of how much I disliked her sister last year.  They both strike me as pretentious but I suppose I shouldn't judge them without knowing them personally.  Still, there was Shi last year saying she didn't like strangers calling her "beautiful" (suuuuuure, she doesn't--can you say "fishing for compliments"?) and Po this year claiming that she wants to be known for herself and not as Shi's sister but never losing an opportunity to mention her sister whenever she's on camera.  It's just like, Shut up already, okay?  

• Love 8

Did we know Jaci and Dalton knew each other on their audition shows?

I liked Jordan.  I liked Dalton.  I hated Jaci.

Jenn Blosil shrieks.  Nope.  Still like Thomas Stringfellow. Olivia "Rox" does nothing for me.

Still love Sonika. Wow, what happened with Melanie? She was certainly better than Jaci.

Is La'Porsha going to tote her daughter around with her if she makes the show?  And why was she wearing keys on her earrings?  She's good, though. But no, your daughter was not all that you were thinking about all day.  Don't lie.

What was wrong with Harrison?  Daniel Farmer needs to move on. Manny is pretty good, but he makes too many faces.

Jeneve was good.

Gianna hurt my ears.

I love Tristan.

J-Lo's 'do on the second day looked like it was pulled so tight her eyes were struggling to blink.

Birthday girl was horrible.  I didn't like her when she auditioned, and this didn't change anything.

"You can't get mono unless we kiss."  LOL Trent was good, despite the mono.

Po loves to let us know Shi is her sister even though she says she doesn't want to capitalize on being her sister.  I'm afraid she's going to be inflicted on us all season.  ugh.

That fakeout at the end was just horrible.

Ugh, group round tomorrow.  I detest group round.

• Love 1

Most that went through were okay, but I agree that a couple sent home, I would have preferred over some they kept. In particular, I don't understand why Manny Torres went on. In the audition, I thought he was charismatic and the "love you, JLO" schtick was ay.  This time, I didn't like his schtick, didn't see the attractiveness (just the misguided cockiness) and his singing wasn't good. Wouldn't have advanced Po either

I was glad that La Porscha did well. She's  SS

Wait-  what just happened with Melanie Tierce?!  I have to believe that there was some other reason besides singing ability that they cut her- perhaps she got signed by another company or something- I can't believe they'd pass through other weak singers and cut her.  No way.

We're wondering what happened to her too. My husband is actually pissed she got cut, yet the screechy ugly troll with the stringy flat-ironed bangs made it through. WTH show? WTH?

Edited by looksee
  • Love 3

Gianna was bad.  That performance wouldn't have even earned a ticket to get to Hollyweird.  Of course she went through.  

TPTB spent waaaaaay too much time with backstory edits.  190 folks!  Show us as much of them as you can, dangit!!!!!  The focus on the extremely young ones ain't helpin' my mood, either.

A sign of the times:  When Idol was King of the Universe, it would never, ever, have stooped to showing a One Direction sound check and it most certainly would never give a competitor like Kimmel even a second of airtime.

Early on, the woman with the green hair (Jackie) who sang "Centuries" by Fall Out Boy?  That sounded like horrible, screaming to me.  What did everyone else think?.  

I'm totally with you. That was flat out screaming and not singing. It verged on being a joke audition. And when she got through, and Melanie Tierce didn't, I knew that things were going down hill fast.

I did have a good feeling about this season, based on some of the auditions, but that was crushed tonight. So many of the judges' choices seemed to be based on personality and back story and not singing.

Gianna? Bad performance. Who cares that her mother did a record in the '70s that no one (except maybe JLo) remembers?

Po? Bad performance. Who cares that she's Shi's sister? They keep talking about this as if Shi is some superstar, instead of just another ex-Idol contestant who didn't even make top 10. Po's super-affected singing makes me cringe. Every word is dragged out to six syllables. But last season they kept Shi around for her looks, and this year they've apparently decided that Po and Shi are a double-header of super cool image.

Manny, the soul singer who hit on JLo during his audition, the teenaged country Idol fan who shrieked until my ears bled - I'd be happy to never see any of them again.

Same with Brooke. If you're a reasonably attractive woman, apparently wearing shorts and boots is the ticket to the next round. Maybe that was Melanie's problem. She thought that she could make it just on singing.

Sad that Zach, the 18 year old from Houston who sang blues and was an excellent guitarist, got eliminated without us even hearing him sing again.

Funniest and best moment of the night was when they asked Harrison Cohen what he would do now. And he said, well, I got in all my college applications. The truth is that getting a good education is a much safer path to a secure future than fantasizing that you'll be the next Kelly Clarkson or Adam Lambert.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

Thanks for confirming, because I think I'm a bit tone-deaf myself.

I'll always love Brenda Starr though, because she's partly responsible for Mariah Carey's career and MC has brought me like, 20 years of happiness...... So Brenda Starr is good in my books.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

And.....the majority of people we saw tonight were contestants I was aggressively neutral towards or actively rooting for their elimination. Yippee.

We started out in a bizarro world where apparently Jaci and Jordan Sasser were chosen by three professional singers to move forward after dueling abominations along with Dalton R. who wasn't great by any stretch....but if that's the curve they started out with, he absolutely had to go through.

Was actively routing for Daniel, Harrison and Manny to all get cut.....but knew they'd keep at least a couple to stir the pot for group rounds. Really wanted both of the teen spawn to get cut (absolutely knew that Kyrsti was going to be a one and done), but they had to go and keep the creepy doll teen. If they end up keeping her as one of the final country artists standing I will throw a remote.

Thought Sonika sounded pretty good, Tristan sounded good, mono-addled Trent sounded good (and I didn't love his audition), Lee Jean sounded a little bit better and now I think is a serious contender for one of the guarantee'd young'n spots there going to have.

Those who were completely MIA.....did anyone catch a glimpse of Avalon, John Wayne, or Chris "CJ" Johnson? I would've added Josiah Siska in this category, but I think he showed up briefly in the preview clips for tomorrow night

Basically nothing of consequence happened minus the axing of Melanie Tierce. The other casualties like Melany, the Cop lady, Kerry Courtney, Usen (I was mildly surprised he was one and done), and Brook Sample were varying degrees of not all that important in the grand scheme of the season.

I knew having their auditions montaged was never a good sign.....but I was really disappointed that it looked like both Rachel Karryn (who auditioned with her grandpa) and Caroline Byrne (who auditioned with her brother) seemingly were each cut. I would've liked to heard more from each of them.

Didn't this show use to have just a little bit of singing on it?  I think we got a grand total of 4 minutes of singing - and spent all our time on one, maybe 2 people from each line.  For a few of the ones we heard, they we're even showing them talking over the singing 'how they've always wanted this'.  God forbid we hear some singing instead of spending 3 minutes on Brenda Starr or showing reruns of people talking about their hopes and dreams (that we just saw a week ago).  That was a truly frustrating hour of television.  No singing on a singing show!

Lol.  Yes!  Where is the singing?  This is exactly what I was thinking tonight, even though this nasty habit of showing us very little singing probably started long ago.  Tonight it seemed more apparent than ever that we were not being allowed to hear the singing, because it was extremely urgent for us to hear everyone talking about their hopes and dreams, as you said, as well as their illnesses, their birthdays, their friendships with other singers, their vast knowledge of all of the winners of the previous seasons of AI, etc. 

Last year, when I did surveys about AI and what I thought of each individual stage of the competition, what I thought of the back story footage, etc., I am fairly certain I said that I thought there was too much back story footage and too much 'getting to know the contestants' footage, and that I wanted to see more of the singing.  Clearly, others who took the same surveys must have said something different, because there is hardly any singing this season.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

I took that same survey and said there's too much backstory as well. I suspect a lot of people feel that way but they probably just took the feedback and did the opposite or didn't care what viewers really thought. Frankly I'd rather hear more backstory if the contestant has made it past HW or made it really far so there is a reason to get to know more about them. Why spend so much time on back stories of contestants who either don't get through or get cut after 1 or 2 rounds? There were so many people shown getting cut last night that we never saw before, let alone heard. I'd be pissed at making it that far and getting approximately 2 seconds of airtime.

• Love 1

Jordan Sasser - I don't have as much disdain for him I guess as other people do. Is he winner material? No, but I think he's got a decent enough voice and warranted getting through to the next round.

Dalton Rappattoni - I love Dalton! He is one of my favorites. I think he has a really radio friendly voice. And his thing seems to be rearranging songs, which might make things interesting in the live shows. I wish he'd lose the guy liner though, I think he'd be so much more attractive without any of the makeup. But overall I really like him as an artist.

​Jaci Butler - I think she just chose a bad song and a bad song to try to do a cappella. But I think she does have a strong voice.

Jenn Blosil - Wish we could have heard more of her. She is turning out to be a dark horse in this competition. But I really despise her space cadet personality. It's too bad because she has an interesting voice and obvious artistry but the personality is just... ugh. She would never handle interviews well.

Thomas Stringfellow - Sounded good from the few seconds we heard of him.

Olivia Rox - This is a pretentious name if I ever heard one. Again, didn't get to hear too much of her but I guess she sounded good? I loved her pink guitar.

Jessica Cabral - As always, really strong and solid voice/performance.

Melanie Tierce - Eh, I didn't see what was so great about her in her audition, so losing her is no great loss to me. However I do think she was decent enough to warrant getting through another round over some of the others they kept. Maybe they thought she would not bring enough drama to the group rounds.

Sonika Vaid - I was eh on her in her audition but she's slowly starting to grow on me. Her voice is nothing extraordinary IMO but there is a very soothing, pleasant quality about it. Her tone is very pure and she sings so effortlessly. 

La'Porsha Renae - Love her! She is one of my favorites. I loved both her audition as well as solo performance. I think she's easily one of the strongest vocalists in the whole competition and when she does runs, she actually nails all the notes unlike most of the rest who try to do them. The only problem is that I feel like if she won she would just be a repeat of Candice Glover, good voice but no marketability. And if she makes the lives, I hope the stylists figure out a better style for her. I can't believe she is my age and she looks so much older than that. I'd say tone down the hair and get better, younger looking clothes. 

Harrison Cohen - Not as good as his audition. The song kind of just fell apart on him. Glad he's gone, his ladies' man shtick got real annoying and real old. 

Daniel Farmer - Except for the voice crack, pretty solid audition. The dude is a talented singer, drop that JLo lover shtick already! It is not attractive or appealing!

Manny Tores - Ditto Manny. Is it written in the Idol contract that JLo needs to have 2 men fighting over her every season? I don't get it. I feel like it is mostly put on for the cameras/producer driven. It's just stupid. The viewers do not care about who has the hots for JLo. Shut up and sing! Manny is a solid performer but I don't connect with anything he does. He is good but doesn't make me want to root for him. 

Lee Jean - Still not impressed by this kid. He definitely got better since his audition but I don't see what's so great about this kid. I'm not sure he deserved to advance to the next round.

Melany Huber - From the tiny snippet we heard of her audition I honestly was shocked she didn't get put through. She sounded better than her audition.

Shelbie Z - She's an obvious ringer but she is easily one of the strongest contenders and undoubtedly deserved to go through. 

​Jeneve Rose Mitchell - Basically it was a repeat of her first audition. The cello really didn't make any sense in this performance. Frankly her voice is pretty average at best. Without the instruments, she would have never made it this far on her voice alone.

Gianna Isabella - Tired of them pimping this girl. She's nothing that super great. And tired of seeing the stage momager. It was totally mean though how the judges told her to step forward and then go back. She is like 15 isn't she? What a mean thing to do to a kid.

Tristan McIntosh - I'm still failing to see what's so impressive about this girl. I do not get the hype around her at all. Her audition was mildly impressive and she sounded worse here. She sounded really nervous. She is a gorgeous girl and has a decent voice for her age and decent musicianship for her age, but meh. I think she is incredibly overrated. I really hope she does not win. She is nowhere close to being the bookend of Kelly. No no no no.

Krysti Jewel - I thought she was terrible in her audition and she sounded even worse here. The thing is that I think she has a voice in there somewhere but she needs a good vocal coach to help her rein it in and not screech. Glad she got cut because she deserved to but it sucks it had to happen on her birthday.

Michelle Marie - Ugh! I feel bad saying this about a kid but I cannot stand this girl. She is so annoying. Her voice is decent enough to go through the next round I guess but man she's annoying. Standing up on a chair to announce to the whole room that it was Krysti's birthday was just too much. I hope she gets cut before the Vegas rounds. She will be good entertainment for the group rounds, it looks like.

Kerry Courtney/Reanna Molinaro/Brooke Sample/Usen Isong/Ethan Kuntz/Jake Dillon - Yup glad all these guys were cut. 

Trent Harmon - Despite having mono he sounded pretty great. I seriously think he might win. I don't know how he's going to survive the rest of Hollywood Week though. He's not going to have any time to rest.

Poh Scott - How and why did they put this girl through? She sounded awful. I thought her audition was ok but this was downright terrible. Nothing but off-key, tuneless screaming. And why do they have to show Shi every second? It's not like she ever made it that far last season. She's not some notable alumni of the show. Stop. And the constant crying with these 2 is getting irritating now. Please go the fuck away.

Emily Brooke - Love her! She is also one of my favorites and I think a serious contender for a girl to win this year. She is one of the strongest teens in the race IMO. Her voice is really strong, the performance skills are there, and she seems really confident and prepared. I'm rooting for her so much. 

The fakeout at the end was incredibly mean and stupid. Ugh. Eye roll.

Disappointed we did not see some others like Collette, Adam Lasher, John Wayne, Kory Wheeler, etc. 

Honestly I know that it would be the more appropriate "bookend" to have a female winner this year but I just want the winner to be talented and marketable, regardless of gender. There's some seriously good male contenders this year and some honestly weak females, I'd hate to have a girl win who did not deserve it just because of gender. I find the whole gender thing just really stupid. As long as the winner is deserving, who cares? Candice Glover was the last female winner and while she was super talented, her career went nowhere. I'd like the last winner to have some semblance of success, it probably won't be even Scotty/Phillip level, but hopefully better than the last few winners have been. 

I'm so looking forward to group rounds. They are my favorite part! Every season there are some groups that give absolutely outstanding performances and then there's the train wrecks, it is the best of both worlds. 

• Love 2

Is Poh dying?  I haven't seen that much sibling sobbing since I stopped watching The Biggest Loser.

I concede this show has run its course but I think one of the things that has made it go downhill is that it becomes easier each season to spot the producer manipulation of the results whereas at the beginning viewers actually thought it was in their own hands.

I'm not surprised that Melanie Trierce got cut.  She choked.

ETA:  That piece on the two 15-year-old Idoloonies was priceless:  glorification and mortification all in one hilarious package.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

I'm not surprised that Melanie Trierce got cut.  She choked.

She chose a bad song, but I thought she sounded good.  Vastly better than most of the people who got through, anyway.  (And by 'bad' I mean bad for her, not that the song itself is bad.  Although it's not one that I particularly like.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

La'Porsha was good. She did not rock my world, though. (We've seen a lot of good belters on The Voice.)

And frankly, I cannot get past that hideous brown brillo pad/sponge/mushroom cloud 'do she's wearing.

• Love 2

I'm calling it right now. Tristan McIntosh, the 15 year old from Nashville with the army mother is the next American Idol. And Shelbie already had her shot on The Voice.

I thought that last night too.  She has the look, and I really like her voice.  Some female singers sound shrill to my ears when they're reaching for high notes, but she has a nice mellow tone that is very pleasing to me.  Of course, we're still so early in the competition that she could choke.  Every year I'm surprised by how many contestants start out strong and then falter, and how many didn't impress in the beginning but proved their mettle as the show continued.

Was Dalton the young fellow who sang the Phantom of the Opera song way back when in the earlier tryouts?  If so, yay.  I remember liking him.

I want to like La'Porsha but stop bringing the kid into the scene.  It's like it is scripted.  Just sing with the beautiful voice already!  I love the voice. 

The show was meh.  I played Clash of Clans all the way through and that is not like me. 

• Love 2

I'm barely hanging in on this season now that Melanie Tierce is gone.

I do like Jenn Blosil when she is in savant mode and actually singing, but I suspect that she was only kept for group drama purposes.

Did anyone catch whether Kayla Micklesen made it through to group?

Yep. Dalton was the Phantom of the Opera guy. He doesn't wow me, but as much as the show is hitting us over the head about how the girls talent>>>guys talent this season....I don't really see a scenario where he's not one of the last 12 guys standing. His image will help him out for sure.

• Love 1

Is Poh dying?  I haven't seen that much sibling sobbing since I stopped watching The Biggest Loser.

I concede this show has run its course but I think one of the things that has made it go downhill is that it becomes easier each season to spot the producer manipulation of the results whereas at the beginning viewers actually thought it was in their own hands.

Yes. And just when I was starting to think I'd miss this show, I was reminded of how each season it makes me crazy, and how at some point I usually stop watching because the contestants I like, talented singers without a lot of drama or back story, have been eliminated.

Funny line about Poh. I think she will go pretty far because the producers have decided for some reason that shots of her and Shi crying and hugging are TV gold. It's like they regretted cutting Shi and are now trying to make up for it. Or else, someone connected with the show has her signed to a contract.

I can only think that Girl with Green Hair advanced because she has green hair. Like the song in "Gypsy" says, you gotta have a gimmick.

I think that in reality, the producers decide up front who their top 20 or so are going to be, and then for the rest of the Hollywood group slots, they cast the show based on drama and image. Hence, selections like Manny, super annoying Michelle Marie, and Green Hair.

Sad how these kids go nuts when they get a Golden Ticket, like they're being handed stardom on a platter, and so many are cut without ever being seen again, other than maybe 2 seconds in a montage. Of course it's worse for all the contestants who go through to Hollywood week and then get cut without ever having gotten any air time. I imagine they have a pretty hard time convincing anyone they actually were on Idol.

Edited by bluepiano

He's like a cute blonde baby Billie Joe Armstrong.  I don't know if you know Jacob Hoggard.  He went kind of far in Canadian Idol now fronts a pretty successful Canadian band.  He sings kinda like that.

Yes- TeenGreenDay will probably go far.

After both he and Jaci (?) pushed through, I found myself fast forwarding unless I saw contestants on stage. It was way past "listen to video filler packages of stuff I've mostly already seen" time.

I didn't even realize plumber-young-dad was cut. I was hoping he'd stand out. Was his line o' 10 audition shown or just the cut?

Sonika, Emily, and La'Porsha have my attention so far. Meh on everyone else featured last night. I'm looking forward to hearing more singing.

• Love 1

I don't think this "the girls are so much better than the boys" manipulation is going to work. There is a reason that guys always win and that simply is because the majority of voters are teenage girls. Try as they might to stack the competition in the girls favor, we are most likely looking at a cute, young white guy win. My money is on Dalton.

Edited by Adusk81

I think it depends on whether they are willing to go back to the Season 12 playbook when the girls to guys talent imbalance was so bad that freaking Lazaro was the last guy standing in 6th place. If they are, then anything is possible.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

Melanie Tierce picked the wrong song for her voice. She has a dramatic, ethereal sound so she would have been better off choosing something like Sia's "You Will be Loved", Massive Attack's "Teardrop", London Grammar's "Wasting My Young Years", Kate Bush's "Running up That Hill" or any number of songs from Florence and the Machine or Joni Mitchell. If she had chosen a song that would open up that big pretty voice of hers, she probably would have been a front runner, but instead she just blended in and got lost.  However, considering they accepted others like the chin beard soul singer and the green haired girl, who were barely passable, they could have let her go on.  Then again, we haven't seen many other black male soul singers or rocker chicks so they may have less competition than she did.

On the other hand, I was really pleased to se La'Porsha do so well by pulling back on "Roar" instead of oversinging it as she did with "Creep" in her original audition. She showed that she can display her considerable talent while still servicing a song after all. It's also smart of her to avoid R&B songs to make her seem adaptable to current music, though I'm not sure that will work if she actually got a record label. It seems to be a tough time for black singers who aren't doing Hip Hop. They either have to go country like Darius Rucker and Alabama Shakes or old school 60's and 70's soul like the Dap Kings or Alabama Shakes' latest record. I think La'Porsha's retro 1970's Aretha Franklin look may be strange, but it's also part of her "I can't be pigeon holed" expression. Perhaps she could be a female Cee Lo Green.

I have no idea why they booted Melany Huber, unless they didn't like her k. d. lang look (which no stylist would be able to change). In the 3 seconds they showed, she sounded great.

I don't get the Tristan (mom in the military) love exactly. There are much better country singers on that stage. However, she's not a belter like Shelbie Z or Emily Brooke (whose voice was good and yet still mildly annoying to me). Tristan has a middle ground country/pop voice like Taylor Swift, so that might be working for her but she just sounds like a really good pageant contestant to me. I have no trouble imagining her singing "You Light Up My Life" in an evening gown.

The bit with Michelle, the curly haired yet straight banged girl, almost killing Krysti (the undertalented girl with the pushy parents) with her aggressive kindness cracked me up. Best bit of the night, probably because it wasn't staged. They just had two clashing personalities. Michelle was Pepe Le Pew and Kyrsti was the unfortunate black cat with the white stripe who desperately wanted to get away.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 3

I just cannot with Jordan Sasser. I don't get the appeal. His voice is ok but he's irritating as crap.

I was really off last night - I would mentally choose people to eliminate and they were put through (green hair-ed girl, Michelle the mega fan, etc) and then the people I loved were booted. 

PS - Dude with mono: You are screwed. Even if you make it through groups you are going to feel so shitty for so long. I feel bad for you.

Edited by goodbyeglittergirl
  • Love 3

The bit with Michelle, the curly haired yet straight banged girl, almost killing Krysti (the undertalented girl with the pushy parents) with her aggressive kindness cracked me up. Best bit of the night, probably because it wasn't staged. They just had two clashing personalities. Michelle was Pepe Le Pew and Kyrsti was the unfortunate black cat with the white stripe who desperately wanted to get away.

This? Is a golden paragraph. I hope I remember the phrase "aggressive kindness" when the proper occasion arises. 

And that Michelle girl annoys the living daylights out of me. She can't get off my screen fast enough.

• Love 2

Just watched this and couldn't remember anyone until I came on here and read about them.

Blond Baby Billie Joe Armstrong (thanks poster above).....oh geez, now I have to root for him just cuz I love BJA.

Annoying Straight Bangs Girl.....at first I thought it was Coach Sylvester's sidekick, Becky ,from Glee...to which I said "Sweet!" Then was disappointed it wasn't.

Brillo Hair with a Baby.....not feeling the love. Thank goodness I DVR...will be FFing through that, which will go on for a long time, I fear.

Spawns of Old Singers #1 & #2......nope.

Thank God it's Not an Osmond J-Blo.......nope.

Weepy Teletubby Sisters.....go home.

All "Worship Leaders"...didn't we learn anything from the Danny Gokey debacle? If you're not as awesome as Reverend Tim Tom (from The Middle) , go away.

Face-makers....Good God, P2 started that and it needs to stop.

Anybody Smarmy, which includes skeevy family members and JLo fake lust.....gone.

All One Name, or First Name with Middle Name contestants....out.

Liked a few who got cut, but forgot who they were.

Edited by drafan

I am actively rooting against the two "I love JLo" douchebags.  I hate that I care enough to do so, to be quite honest, but fuck those guys.  If you need a schtick, at least have an interesting one.

Did not love Tristan's performance; she was my favorite, so apologies to her fans because I never back the right person this early in the game.

• Love 1