Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

Perhaps by posting vague allusions to being out, DG hopes to rally his stans once more to fly a banner over the studio or whatever. 

He certainly doesn’t seem to understand his character very well, as tragedies and adversity didn’t passively befall Lane. Cane was the cause of many of their problems. And love can’t conquer Lily wanting him to fuck right off into the sun. Sell that bullshit walking, dude.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

I'm home sick today so I was just listening to the DC podcast from the week Tognoni was announced out and Stafford in. OMG it's so maddening. 

They are all reasonably saying: Gina is a respected soap veteran. She won an Emmy in this role. She did it for FIVE years. Yeah she was not really Phyllis but a kind of new character and she didn't sizzle with Jack and Nick and even Michael and Cricket but STILL. This was shocking news.

And then Jillian Bowe comes in (she who broke the story and who fawns over MS on social media) and declares it's not such a big deal. Y&R is rebuilding and they need to make power moves. MS will BRING THE RATINGS BACK. GH WAS WASTING HER.

um. 1. No she won't. And 2. what GH was doing is of no concern to Y&R.

Anyways the guys (whoever they were they sounded waaaay more reasonable than Bowe I have to say) more or less accepted her view.

Then one of them says but this show let Michael Morgan walk and she was important to show's canvas. And so it's all very confusing because of course MS would not be cheap and MiM was let go over money. Bowe concurs, adding: YOU KNOW MICHELLE DID NOT TAKE A PAY CUT. Really? We know that do we? In a dying genre we know a 50something actress who left five years earlier in a sulk didn't take a pay cut to reprise her role? No one mentions The Gina Tognoni Variety Hour under Mal. That she signed a three-year contract under him and maybe Gina was MAKING A BOMB and so a swap with Stafford might have saved them money. In other words, this is not about spending more money at all and nothing to do with MiM.

And no one on this podcast, no one is looking at the facts as they ponder the why why why was Gina let go so coldly.

FACTS: Gina pimped Philly the same week new HW Sally declared them dead, and continued to do so as Sally wrote Villy coming together again. She In Your Face publicly disrespected her HW, that HW was let go only months later in humiliating fashion after which Philly promptly became front and centre (remember Mal's first episode when the writing flipped on a dime and we had Philly romcom all the time?). Sally's husband is now EP. And Gina is fired. She didn't get a face saving "I'm leaving because the commute is hard" press release. No "we are soooo sorry this wonderful actress chose to leave but we are thrilled to welcome back Michelle" from Angelica. Her firing was leaked and she did not deny it. 

I'm not saying 1000% this is why Gina was let go. I don't know exactly how or why she was tossed on her ass. But no one thought to mention the above as a possible contributing factor? Really???? If Sally were my wife I'd have fired Gina's ass the second I could.

I can see Morina saying Gina is out and CBS/Sony saying "well, we don't know, viewers won't like it..." and then MS becoming available. "Okay fine let's swap her out for the OG," says Morina. Sony/CBS approves and it's done.

I don't think show is so deluded they think Jazz Hands is going to be a saviour for the Young and the Restless in 2019. 

If this was about familiarity and a ratings boost show would have sought out BM to trade for JT. THAT is the recast that never made sense, doesn't work (show is invested in the Abbott-Newman Villy pairing and has been for a decade) and Billy Miller's age hits the key demographic. Gina was fine with PB. It was the romcom insanity with Billy that took her character off the rails. It's not like Cricket-Phyllis is front and centre any more. Nor is Michael-Phyllis. Phack worked and that's what Gina was hired to sell. Phick did not but that pairing has been dead for coming on a decade. They didn't re-recast Phyllis for JM. And they sure as hell didn't recast her for ratings. 

Ratings are already better with Phyllis being rewritten in character. 

Boy I miss real journalists covering soaps.

• Useful 2
  • Love 19

I think MS was recast because she was a known quantity, so to speak, and she was available. I think it's more common than not when a show recasts a role with an actor that played the character successfully before. It seems to me that they made the decision to boot GT for all the reasons you stated Miamama. I do believe there was not just a little payback to GT for the Twitter pimping of Philly and gushing over MY. And don't leave Steve Kent out of the mix. JG is a personal friend of Kent's and perhaps Kent was invested in preventing her from taking jabs at Griffith on Twitter by sniping about the character's "new direction".

With the recent revelations at Jabot together with the Summer-Kyle-Lola triad and Phyllis's attempt to extort Fenmore's from Jack, it looks like Phyl's not going to be an ongoing problem with Jack/Jabot in the future. And she sure as shit shouldn't have ever been elevated to CEO. That was just ridiculous and I think it was probably the major reason why CBS put their foot down with MY and canceled his visa. I think the "new direction" is going to have Phyllis moving more back into Nick's orbit. Okay. I've said it. Commence throwing the rotten tomatoes and cream pies apace. Seriously, when you think about it, Nick's sort of just trying to figure out what he's going to do with himself. He's listlessly putzing around picking up random walk-on women and trying to figure out which video game to play. Nick bailed on Phyl because of her deal with Christine, but in the overall scheme of things, he's forgiven her for more in the past, and everything did turn out fine for the Genoa City Four. It seems to me that they've wrapped up MY's fiascos and they've decided to reset back to a kind of default setting. They knew that MS had chemistry for a lot of viewers with JM and that GT did not. MS was available and Nick's characters is currently being written as a bit aimless insofar as his personal life right now. I think it's pretty obvious that they'll go there. And they might try to revisit Phack, but I doubt it. It's possible, I guess. But MS was in agony the last year of her last run specifically because she didn't want to be paired with Jack. Of course, it might have been because JFP marginalized her (but wasn't Griffith writing for that during that period?). In any event, I don't care WHAT they do with Nick's character, and I don't care what they do with MS's character, but I DO NOT EVER want to see Nick and Sharon back together. I don't like JM with any actress, frankly. He can't act and he's a drag and drags down everyone paired with him into a dull as dishwater and overly maudlin series of non-events.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

They knew that MS had chemistry for a lot of viewers with JM and that GT did not

well, i didn't think they had any chemistry...jm always looked like a little kid around ms...most especially when phyl would yell and scream at him about sharon...he always looked down at the floor like a kid being chastized by his mother.

• Love 24
2 hours ago, miamama said:

If this was about familiarity and a ratings boost show would have sought out BM to trade for JT.

Great post. I’m surprised no one has questioned how Jason Thompson has kept his job while Gina was let go. No one has the sense to put two and two together?  Or at least gather a sensible conclusion based on Gina’s behavior? The only thing I’ll assume is CLEARLY no one media-wise followed the trail Gina was making. I guess it’s the world of soaps in 2019. 

• Love 11

12 years of Lane? How long was DG/Cane on before then? He had a fling with Chloe right?

The Friday scenes with Lola and Rey definitely seemed like a bittersweet "we're the Rosales family now" moment. Just those two. I'm not sure I would have picked up on it had I not known Mia and Arturo were given the pink slip.

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, JasonCC said:

12 years of Lane? How long was DG/Cane on before then? He had a fling with Chloe right?

The Friday scenes with Lola and Rey definitely seemed like a bittersweet "we're the Rosales family now" moment. Just those two. I'm not sure I would have picked up on it had I not known Mia and Arturo were given the pink slip.

No. Chloe and Cane both got blasted at one of Mrs. C's July 4th parties and they were in his car (front seat) as I remember and they were trying to leave. Chloe made Cane think they'd had sex, but he'd passed out. She was trying at that time to find a stand-in for Billy, who was the father of the baby she was carrying. Cane passed out and nothing happened. But this was definitely at a time when Cane was involved with Lily who was modeling at the time, and Chloe was the stylist. She was hyper jealous of everything Lily had simply because it was Lily's. I don't know if Cane and Lily had some kind of break at that time, but I don't remember that. The writing was so over the top with inventing Cane's backstory that it was hard to keep straight at the time and it's difficult to recall the details.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, bannana said:

What am I missing in the JV tribute photo?  Which one is Mia?

You're right, she's not in this picture.  I don't know who two of the women are, but they're not Mia.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, bannana said:

What am I missing in the JV tribute photo?  Which one is Mia?

Jordi uploaded 3 photos in his Instagram post. Mia is in the second photo. Just click the arrow button > on the picture and it will take you to the next one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, spinxella said:

Jordi uploaded 3 photos in his Instagram post. Mia is in the second photo. Just click the arrow button > on the picture and it will take you to the next one.

Thanks @spinxella, I should have noticed that! 😕👱‍♀️

• Love 3

Was Sean Rose on Y&R before? Or is he auditioning? I hope they don't recast Reed I actually like the kid! Just googled Rose, am impressed with him coming forward to admit his agent offered to prioritize him if he had sex with him. From what I've heard that's super common. 

Edited by JasonCC

Oh yeah I remember when VR was really slinging shit on Twitter she'd go on rampages about how the "real" Lily was Davetta Sherwood. She also said "everyone knows the "real" Jack will always be Terry Lester" which I thought was extra bitchy considering she never worked with him, 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

Oh yeah I remember when VR was really slinging shit on Twitter she'd go on rampages about how the "real" Lily was Davetta Sherwood. She also said "everyone knows the "real" Jack will always be Terry Lester" which I thought was extra bitchy considering she never worked with him, 

Hey Jason, I've been meaning to ask you, who is it in your avatar?

• Love 1

Hey Jason, I've been meaning to ask you, who is it in your avatar?

That's just me. Or, me from Twitter like 4 years ago, really. I long ago forgot my password here and just log in via Twitter or FB.

I kind of liked yesterday's appearance of young Dina in Jack's dream. It does make me suspect that Jerry Douglas isn't in great health, though. That entire cerebral Jack crisis moment would have been tailor made for a "Ghost Dad" appearance 4-5 years ago. 

• Love 12
56 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

That's just me. Or, me from Twitter like 4 years ago, really. I long ago forgot my password here and just log in via Twitter or FB.

I kind of liked yesterday's appearance of young Dina in Jack's dream. It does make me suspect that Jerry Douglas isn't in great health, though. That entire cerebral Jack crisis moment would have been tailor made for a "Ghost Dad" appearance 4-5 years ago. 

It's only my impression, not anything I've heard or read, but I saw a segment sometime within the past year of Jerry Douglas with Peter Bergman, Eileen Davidson and Beth Maitland and while he seemed completely alert and very witty, physically he seemed frail, at least to me.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, JasonCC said:

So cute!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, boes said:

It's only my impression, not anything I've heard or read, but I saw a segment sometime within the past year of Jerry Douglas with Peter Bergman, Eileen Davidson and Beth Maitland and while he seemed completely alert and very witty, physically he seemed frail, at least to me.  

I agree. He did look frail.

But I think young Dina was there deliberately to help Jack move out from his father’s shadow. John appearing would have undermined it. 

Jack is emotionally stunted.

In a recent interview PB talked about why Jack is continually drawn to a woman like Phyllis. It’s *because* she betrays/abandons him - a pattern put in place by his mother.

I love how Josh is fleshing out characters and establishing motivation. Jack’s been flailing for years (largely because of shit writing). And those scenes were meant to help viewers understand why in a way that doesn’t just pretend those years didn’t happen. 

I thought they were great. Especially because like real life, nothing was resolved. But Jack and Dina were written as fully fleshed humans. Not plot points.

• Love 16
6 hours ago, miamama said:

In a recent interview PB talked about why Jack is continually drawn to a woman like Phyllis. It’s *because* she betrays/abandons him - a pattern put in place by his mother.

The amateur psychologist in me always thought this. People are often attracted to people who are like their parents. Phyllis fits the bad mother role too. 

• Love 13
On 4/9/2019 at 7:32 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

He wore a suit the day they had Hilary's funeral.

billy-phyllis-jack-at-hilarys-funeral.jp

WTF was Phyl wearing?

On another note - maybe they will bring back a hot sorased Moses to join the much needed YOUNG crowd of title fame.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, crowsworks said:

WTF was Phyl wearing?

On another note - maybe they will bring back a hot sorased Moses to join the much needed YOUNG crowd of title fame.

Never mind what Phylthy's wearing (absolutely couldn't be more inappropriate unless she's headed to a cocktail party after), isn't that the old nu-Nate before the recast? Weird.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, crowsworks said:

WTF was Phyl wearing?

She looks like an old man's side piece showing up for the reading of the will.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1

Beth Maitland talks about the Y&R regime change @ 1:00:55 and how they are getting the show back on course based specifically on what fans wants. She says CBS put a fan survey on social media and they listened to the feedback and made changes.

Edited by spinxella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
19 hours ago, spinxella said:

Beth Maitland talks about the Y&R regime change @ 1:00:55 and how they are getting the show back on course based specifically on what fans wants. She says CBS put a fan survey on social media and they listened to the feedback and made changes.

I remember taking a survey. I was basically "hate Philly" and "hate what is being done to Jack". 

• Love 9

One of my major complaints was Jack allowing Phyllis to run Jabot.  He would never meekly allow that. Returning as CEO of Jabot would consume his life. He'd hatch plot after plot. 

I don't remember much else I mentioned in that survey other than Rosales replacing Winters as reported was an insult to my 27 years of viewing. Families come and go but to replace your only long term black family left a bad taste in my mouth. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I have a feeling this is going to gut me which is why I'm waiting till next weekend to binge watch this week of Y&R.

I just watched the last two weeks and yeah this weeks will likely sit a bit. 

Those scenes with Jack and Dina....both sets, tore me up. PB really knocked that out of the park for me. 

• Love 9