Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

Didn't he say something similar when Nick refused to do Daddy's business and had the nerve to give him shit about Sharon? Nick should have been disowned for speaking the way he did and that he would turn his back on his own for that. Geez!

• Love 2

I guess this belongs here.  I am FINALLY getting around to watching The Sopranos.  I saw the Season 6 episode where Tony came out of his coma, and an attractive woman from utilization review came in to talk to Tony & go over his chart, insurance, blah blah, who looked so familiar.  Sure enough, it was our own Gina Tognoni! She makes me sick...I mean, does she EVER look bad???

• Love 4

Saw this contribution from a poster on Daytime Confidential's site this morning in response to JG's article about the ratings (continued, WTF?!!) increases and had to post it here. I must confess it also occurred to me that this rape could be the beginning of a serial rape storyline, but my mind never stretched out so far as to think that Pratt would ever make Michael the perp. But the more I think about it, it definitely would be taking Michael back to his creepy beginnings.

Anybody else want to weigh in here?

terrymck  • 4 hours ago 

I don't recognize any of the characters any longer. They don't even sound like their former selves, let alone act like they have for years. And my prediction is the Avery rape is the beginning of a serial rape storyline with Michael as the rapist. As a result of his prostate cancer he can only get aroused through violence against women (he is acting out his inner rage that he can no longer satisfy Lauren). Given Pratt's hatred for female characters I can see this happening.

• Love 1

I guess this belongs here.  I am FINALLY getting around to watching The Sopranos.  I saw the Season 6 episode where Tony came out of his coma, and an attractive woman from utilization review came in to talk to Tony & go over his chart, insurance, blah blah, who looked so familiar.  Sure enough, it was our own Gina Tognoni! She makes me sick...I mean, does she EVER look bad???

Wow, great catch! I remember those scenes but not GT. Will def rewatch.

Saw this contribution from a poster on Daytime Confidential's site this morning in response to JG's article about the ratings (continued, WTF?!!) increases and had to post it here. I must confess it also occurred to me that this rape could be the beginning of a serial rape storyline, but my mind never stretched out so far as to think that Pratt would ever make Michael the perp. But the more I think about it, it definitely would be taking Michael back to his creepy beginnings.

Nausea. Pure nausea.

• Love 3

And my prediction is the Avery rape is the beginning of a serial rape storyline with Michael as the rapist. As a result of his prostate cancer he can only get aroused through violence against women (he is acting out his inner rage that he can no longer satisfy Lauren). Given Pratt's hatred for female characters I can see this happening.

If it were Passions I'd believe it, personally I don't think TPTB are THAT ridiculous.
  • Love 5

Pratt is going to see this and make it happen.

• Love 4

The Secrets to Being Young and Restless: Behind the Scenes of Daytime’s No. 1 Drama

Quote from PB:

“People ask, ‘How long will you stay?’ I’m staying until Jack puts Victor through a wall. I may be a very old man before that happens. I think they’re willing to write it. I’m not sure he’s [Eric Braeden] willing to play it.”

This is a really well-written smart piece by an actual journalist, Tim Teeman at The Daily Beast.

Piece includes quotes from PB, MTS, CG, GR, TB, CLB, Bryton James, Mishael Morgan, Sean Carrigan, Pratt and Phelps.

• Love 11

Quote from PB:

“People ask, ‘How long will you stay?’ I’m staying until Jack puts Victor through a wall. I may be a very old man before that happens. I think they’re willing to write it. I’m not sure he’s [Eric Braeden] willing to play it.”

What was it that Captain Picard used to say, "Make it so?" 

• Love 8

After all victor has done to jack and his family it wouldn't be out of character at this point for jack to kill him. And it could be an awesome story. But someone would veto that. PB is right.

• Love 7

Some serious gossip to report. MM/Hilary says she always carries a bottle of theirry mugler's Alien perfume and that "it is the BEST perfume in the world! The search is over." Well I think I'll be the judge of that, Miz! LOL .....so am going to try it.

I seldom wear perfume due to my job and life but when I do I choose Elizabeth & James Nirvana White (or Black), Tom Ford Black Orchid, or Michael Kors.

• Love 1

I was on twitter and looked at CK/Lily's twitter. Im just going to be blunt. Holy shit her body is sick and she is gorgeous. In the most recent SOD the cast said she's the most health conscious cast member and damn its paying off. Her young son is so beautiful also.

• Love 2

I'm a big enough fan for both of you.  This man is walking away with the show right now, and he's in a coma.

Love my Jackie and PB!!!

Little Miss Faith is going to be portraying a young girl Dolly Parton in the NBC movie Coat Of Many Colors. 

They picked a great little actress and she even looks like a young Dolly!!!

I was on twitter and looked at CK/Lily's twitter. Im just going to be blunt. Holy shit her body is sick and she is gorgeous. In the most recent SOD the cast said she's the most health conscious cast member and damn its paying off. Her young son is so beautiful also.

I always thought CK was a beautiful woman!!!

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this interview with Tony Geary (Michael Logan). I know it's not Y&R but it's fun because he's retired now so he speaks his mind. I thought this line was pure truth:

"And the audience can be so fickle. When they want something and they get it, then they don’t want it anymore. We have to keep taking them to places they never imagined going. I do think indulging in this back and forth with the unhappy fans on Twitter just feeds the flames. We used to have qualified publicity people who would respond to that sort of thing. Now you have actors and producers and writers going directly to the audience to defend themselves which is, if nothing else, without dignity. I just don’t see any good coming from it. We used to lead the fans. Now we run after them like puppies hoping to be taken home."

• Love 13

I usually loathe everything that comes out of Tony Geary's mouth, but that's really true re: Twitter. Familiarity breeds contempt, especially among the, shall we say, more invested fans?  

Wasn't it Agnes Nixon who said "Make them laugh, make them cry, make them wait" re: stretching out storylines?  Soaps especially lend themselves to dragging things out for months or years, but I think what's been lost is that the writers now aren't good at filling in the waits with consistency, smaller reveals or twists, and taking the time to deepen characters.

• Love 8

^^All true. Writers are not as good but in fairness they have limited creative licence, execs breathing down their necks, way too powerful actors (see Geary clause and Braeden's apparent control over Victor), and expectations to deliver big ratings NOW!

I enjoyed doing the survey but I absolutely would never support fan input in the show's creative direction. If we went by Twitter, for example, the show would be Chadam, Lane, Hevon, Narisa(??) and consist only of happy couples having sex, being "in love" and stripping down to their waxed buff bodies daily.

The vast majority of viewers - 5 million watch, maybe a few hundred post online - express what they want by watching or not watching, as they have always done. And the networks know this. That's why the show does shit like promote Hevon on Twitter etc. but not actually give them much story on the show. They know which side of the bread to butter and when. ;)

• Love 4

AF/Amber and her husband who played Sandy on GL are expecting a baby girl. She has had some conceiving and suffered a devastating miscarriage in October (i assume that was why she skipped her return to Y&R ?). Happy for her and her loved ones.

Cady McC/Kelly says she is in discussion to join season 2 of the soap based reality show Queens of Drama which airs on the Pop network. I don't watch the show whatever best of luck . She has also said she was up for RH in the past and RH hired ED/Ashley at the same time and pays her a million dollars a season so I don't know.

From the "No Shit?!" files MS/Former Phyllis reveals in SOD she spends a lot of effort and "hefty checks" to look the way she does and had been "hungry for 13 years." She also says "dude" a lot and swears often which isn't a criticism - it's just her personality and essence are so there always. Every interview and blog its like ... a Cool Girl and salty ol broad morphed.

• Love 2
(edited)

Is this out of bounds on the Y&R thread, but I haven't noted any comments regarding Ron Carlivatti's ouster over at GH. I think it was pretty much expected over the last couple of weeks, but the OH SHIT factor is the fact that they just hired (back) Passanante and Altman! WTF? Isn't this the dream team they practically just fired? I don't get it. Why would you welcome back a couple of failed hacks, most recently from Y&R's most boring, yet short-lived period, and throw the door wide open for their return when they're just going to reproduce that shit all over again?

The only thing I've just about concluded with this shake-your-damn-head turn of events is that ABC and CBS are colluding to get rid of both soaps. What's next? is Pratt about to be on his way out with Carlivatti coming to Y&R?

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 4

You just put that idea right back where it came from, Toomuchsoap. I'll give you a map to Hell's sewer and a flameproof suit; the rest is up to you.

Having no sentimental attachment to GH, I sometimes watch it as a comedy. A really bad comedy.

• Love 4
(edited)

Ninja, I've only (ever) caught a couple of seconds of GH on my way through the dial to Barefoot Contessa or something else. I've frankly always, forever, thought it was a very, very bad idea for the ABC soap folks to come anywhere near CBS. The networks are so clearly different from each other nothing is fungible IMO. Never has been and never will be. There's just some different sensibility. I can't put my finger on it, but I've never been able to watch a single minute of any other network soap except for CBS's. It's not just familiarity either. They have a different look and feel to them. I've never been much of a soap fan in general except for Y&R, but the only other soaps I ever watched when I was a kid were on CBS. After I was in high school, college and beyond, I never watched anything but Y&R, and mostly taped it back during my working years. I've not been surprised that Y&R has suffered - and is suffering even more - through ABC hacks that have taken over the show. These asshats ruined the last ABC soap standing (which I don't give a flying fuck at the moon about), but they're here at Y&R now and it SUCKS. With little Stevie being rotated onto the GCPD now, it expect it to be a neverending parade of gangsta du jour storylines. If it were Edge of Night, I might be onboard with it, but it's going to be GH does GC. How else am I to interpret it? 

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 6

Ninja, I've only (ever) caught a couple of seconds of GH on my way through the dial to Barefoot Contessa or something else. I've frankly always, forever, thought it was a very, very bad idea for the ABC soap folks to come anywhere near CBS. The networks are so clearly different from each other nothing is fungible IMO. Never has been and never will be. There's just some different sensibility. I can't put my finger on it, but I've never been able to watch a single minute of any other network soap except for CBS's. It's not just familiarity either. They have a different look and feel to them. I've never been much of a soap fan in general except for Y&R, but the only other soaps I ever watched when I was a kid were on CBS. After I was in high school, college and beyond, I never watched anything but Y&R, and mostly taped it back during my working years. I've not been surprised that Y&R has suffered - and is suffering even more - through ABC hacks that have taken over the show. These asshats ruined the last ABC soap standing (which I don't give a flying fuck at the moon about), but they're here at Y&R now and it SUCKS. With little Stevie being rotated onto the GCPD now, it expect it to be a neverending parade of gangsta du jour storylines. If it were Edge of Night, I might be onboard with it, but it's going to be GH does GC. How else am I to interpret it? 

I've gone in and out of GH over the decades, and have never really become super-attached to it. Wandered in during grad school--Hi Jessie! And wandered out again until the early 90s. You're so right about the different feel and pacing where ABC is concerned. The mob stuff bored me blind--please take back SB, you're wasting Billy Miller--I didn't mind a few key players, I guess.

However. I've caught the odd moment lately, and it is disjointed crap, and that's unkind to crap, which probably has a purpose.

• Love 3

I actually expect Phelps to be fired before Pratt is. I really do. I'm seriously wondering what the driving force is/was that led CBS to put out a viewer feedback questionnaire rolled out by Nielsen. CBS wouldn't need to do such a thing because the data are available through Nielsen's ratings anyway. This wasn't about key demos or viewing schedules. They were going for opinions on characters and storylines and taking the general pulse of the viewers. I think some of the professional soap writers' recent comments and (probable) general dissatisfaction with the way things are going has been filtering back to CBS, and some of Logan's and others' comments have finally hit a nerve. I've also been suspicious that there's big tension between AMcD and Phelps/Pratt. I know AMcD has her network bosses, but she's theirs, and she'd send her personal kind of feedback up the chain. I'm thinking that this regime's reign might be more tenuous that we've been allowed to think. Sure the ratings have been okay. How long's that gonna keep happening with the way this Marco/Victor/Jack fiasco is rolling out?

• Love 3

Carlivati is out?!  I stopped watching GH the day that jackass killed off Sean Kanan's AJ after wrecking a return I'd been looking forward to for 16 years and never looked back.  Even if I don't like what the replacements do, I will DVR it for a while and let it play (including commercials) just to give a ratings boost of approval over this.  

I've never been able to pinpoint precisely what the difference between the networks is, but you're right. There's just a different flavor, especially GH and the CBS soaps. Just curious, how many of you Y&R fans also watch a lot of sci-fi? I remember reading an article a long time ago that said among sci-fi fans who also watched soaps, GH was the overwhelming choice. (Of course, this was quite a while ago, when GH hadn't fully sunk into the morass.)

• Love 2

Boes, I enjoyed reading your post, and want to kick in my own watching history.

In the interests of giving rabbits a midsummer rest, should we post about this in the "Small Talk" folder?

• Love 4

Boes, I enjoyed reading your post, and want to kick in my own watching history.

In the interests of giving rabbits a midsummer rest, should we post about this in the "Small Talk" folder?

Thank you, Pearlite, good idea! 

Bunnies should get the weekend off.

• Love 4

goatsI watch GH and I can say that it's in far worse shape than Y&R. If Pratt gets fired you better hope Ron doesn't end up here because if he does this show is done.

Are there only 5 people who can do this crap because they seem to pass around the same losers like a bunch of incestuous  goats

• Love 8

That's a bit unfair to incestuous goats:) Goats eat garbage, they don't produce it.

I think it's a kind of cycle.  Soaps have gotten such a bad reputation from years of poor management and writing that no new talent is banging on the doors excited about the possibility of writing for soaps. And the kind of managers and writers who survive (if not thrive) in that environment wouldn't even consider the possibility of reaching out to try to attract new talent because the status quo benefits them. I think it would be brilliant for a soap to form a partnership with an up-and-coming romance or mystery writer to write a 13 or 26 week story treatment for the established characters and publicize it to that writer's fan base.

• Love 9

Jul 26 2015. 9:47 pm

That's a bit unfair to incestuous goats:) Goats eat garbage, they don't produce it.

I think it's a kind of cycle.  Soaps have gotten such a bad reputation from years of poor management and writing that no new talent is banging on the doors excited about the possibility of writing for soaps. And the kind of managers and writers who survive (if not thrive) in that environment wouldn't even consider the possibility of reaching out to try to attract new talent because the status quo benefits them. I think it would be brilliant for a soap to form a partnership with an up-and-coming romance or mystery writer to write a 13 or 26 week story treatment for the established characters and publicize it to that writer's fan base.

Brilliant!  Writers can fix messes like this. I wonder if any writers watch this and go "If they just..."  or "If he/she had just said..."

They really need a script doctor.

• Love 3

^^^Thanks for that! They're all good, but you're right, GR's is probably the best. It's funny how dogs can soften your feelings even for people who play characters you despise!

And Sharon has a dog named *Marco*, so we CAN blame her for everything!

• Love 8

^^^Thanks for that! They're all good, but you're right, GR's is probably the best. It's funny how dogs can soften your feelings even for people who play characters you despise!

And Sharon has a dog named *Marco*, so we CAN blame her for everything!

it is?

i thought her dog's name was caroline.

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 1