Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Episode 3

A news article goes online describing what happened at the captain's party and naming Kevin as a participant in the alleged assault on Taylor.  Meanwhile, Anne is forced to defend herself after the item is published; and new evidence is revealed that paints a murkier picture of what really happened on the night in question.

That ending was killer. Felicity's eyes just kept getting bigger as she realized that there was evidence to support Taylor's claim and there was nothing she could do to stop the investigation and protect the school.

It looks like Eric is regretting his misogyny and hypermasculinity as a cover for his possible homosexuality. He looked appropriately hortifiey to hear his brother repeat that nonsense especially as it was directed towards their mom.

Kevin is such a privileged stupid little shit. For all of his parents lectures, he's clearly never listened to them. Why on earth did he also provide the alcohol? Diffuse the responsibility and blame.

• Love 5

I don't like the camera work. Especially when you have two people in a conversation and they only show one person. It is like watching a movie with blinders on.

I'm sticking with it for the acting which is quite good. Loved the look on Felicity Huffman's face in that last scene. A total oh shit moment she was having wondering how she would be able to manipulate the situation now.

• Love 7

Hmm... the coach was looking pretty guilty when he was trying to reach Kevin. Did he also participate in the hazing? The actor playing Kevin is good. He's another new face for me. And King is doing a good job of making me hate her character. Know-it-alls deserve to have their worlds shattered. 

• Love 2

I don't like the camera work. Especially when you have two people in a conversation and they only show one person. It is like watching a movie with blinders on.

I like that they do that. It keeps all the attention on one character and their reactions. Of course, if it's a guest actor, and we never see his/her face, that's not the best thing for the actor credits-wise.

Wait, wait, did the school actually call the police? I don't recall that the school called the police first, but the reporter seemed convinced of it. I can only assume that she found a way to corroborate the statement.

The female teacher bugged me in the restaurant scene. First, I dislike statements such as "If they were [black, Latino, white, etc], then it would be different" because the assertions are unprovable. Even if it were true, you can't be a 100 percent sure, so why make that kind of statement to your colleagues. It will only antagonize them. Second, I couldn't tell if her reaction to Dixon's speaking Spanish meant that a) she is refusing to acknowledge that there are black Latinos, so she just assumed he was a African-American guy who spoke some Spanish, or b) she was saying "You're one of us, but not really for us." In either case, she was being dismissive and rude, which will not win her any political friends. If she can't grin her way through lunch with a person she doesn't like, then she has no business being involved in politics.

I was so happy to see Terri LaCroix get knocked down a peg. Also, I love how they keep bringing home the point that Kevin's girlfriend is a better person than his mother. The girlfriend was the only person who tried to comfort him.

I was all set to applaud that girl for calling out Kevin for being grabby, but then she gave him her number anyway. Smh, teenagers.

• Love 4

I would watch this show for the acting alone.  I love that the core actors are rotating as it really showcases their talents.  Felicity, Regina, Tim, Lily and the young man who played Carter last season and now plays the public school principal.....each one blew me away last year, and they continue to do so in this version. 

I also love that I do nothing except watch the show when it's on, just as I did during Season 1.  I'm afraid to look away as each glance seems to add to the story.  It's the feeling I get in live theater and it's so refreshing; something I've really missed in current TV.   Even though I give it all my attention, I still have to watch it a second time.  And I don't mind that at all.  I feel like they're giving me something to think about at last.

• Love 13

This type of focus is fine with me.  What is irritating are the split-second black screens that happen whenever "objectionable" language is used.  It's so petty.   Surely there are better editing methods...or do something about the writing for network TV.

• Love 5

t's interesting that Michael was immediately desperate to find out if Kevin did do something to the boy. Seems to me that he also worries about Kevin being gay. If two parents are uneasy about this, chances are they know more than we do, despite Kevin manhandling every female in reach. Denial and aggression is not a happy combination. Scenes in the first episode made me wonder about the Kevin/Eric relationship. Adding jealousy to Kevin's mix?

Kevin confessed to providing the alcohol, which is a crime. The filming was in my opinion also a crime. But it appears the blood and semen discovery will get everyone off the hook for those things.

The hint that Coach Dan has an unseemly interest in his boys seems out of the blue to me.

Great episode. The season is building slowly so far but I think with that powerful ending it is going to speed up. Taylor is going to want to back away right when the police have solid evidence something happened.

Of course there was no GHB - the test was like a week later. 

I don't really get the side storyline between the principal and the latino woman about breakfast. It is unnecessary and really is breaking up the flow. But I loved watching the principal stand up for the rights of his student to the police. 

Also, it was Nikki - the new girl that he flirted with - that called to check if Kevin was alright? Right? Not Val, the girl he had sex with at the party?

To borrow from Sesame Street, this episode was brought to you by the word "Affluenza".

The writing here is just so spot on; they really know how to push the right buttons with the dialogue.

I have a feeling that Coach Dan  had more to do with the party than has been divulged so far.  The other coach is right, though.  They really are the hired help, and the board would have not a second's remorse in flushing them down the toilet to save their own fundraising.  Speaking of which, what was the deal with the huge auditorium scene?  It would have to be some kind of big name act to fill that place and actually generate income for the school.  A senior recital isn't going to cut it.

• Love 6
Scenes in the first episode made me wonder about the Kevin/Eric relationship. Adding jealousy to Kevin's mix?

I also wondered if the K/E scenes were foreshadowing, since the very first thing we see are Eric's hands on Kevin's body.  The second episode also had an interesting scene of K/E discussing Eric's suspension, and Kevin seemed to be the one giving orders and calling the shots, despite repeated scenes showing Eric as the aggressive one.  I also think the scenes of Kevin and his grabby dealings with women are misdirection. When all is revealed, I won't be a bit surprised to find out that the primary romantic relationship has been Kevin/Eric all along.

• Love 1
I don't really get the side storyline between the principal and the latino woman about breakfast. It is unnecessary and really is breaking up the flow. But I loved watching the principal stand up for the rights of his student to the police.

Yeah, it's bugging me too. The banter in that breakfast scene felt too "written" and the scenario feels disconnected as a subplot. I also don't care if they might have a romance. I agree about the police scene; that was nice to see.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 3

But I loved watching the principal stand up for the rights of his student to the police.

That was my favorite scene. So far, the principal is my favorite adult character on the show.

Also, it was Nikki - the new girl that he flirted with - that called to check if Kevin was alright? Right? Not Val, the girl he had sex with at the party?

Yes, you are right. I was confused about that. Val is the now ex-girlfriend, and it was Nikki, the new girl, who called to check on him.

The camera work is different, but I think it serves a purpose.  Something I've noticed is the prolonged reaction shots.  I find them uncomfortable and actually look away.

The actor playing Kevin is good. He's another new face for me

I thought he was fabulous during the police questioning and his father's confrontation.  I don't care for his sulky/macho/cool acting.  Taylor's been amazing from beginning to end.  I'm not as impressed with Eric, but it may be because I dislike the character.

I did end up feeling a little sorry for Kevin in the scene with the new girl.  Talk about mixed messages!  He touches her, she says no.  He touches her, she says no again.  He looks at another girl, she gets jealous.  Then she gives him her number, and smiles seductively as she tells him to text her.  I was confused.

I was so happy to see Terri LaCroix get knocked down a peg.

Hell yeah.  I want this woman humbled.  I cannot stand her, but I've never seen a black female character like her, and King is doing a great job.  She could not be more cold and unlikable while firing that woman.  Then she mocks her about "the black card", and asking - can't you do anything for me.   And then the irony, the absolute irony at the end.  Terri "plays the black card", looks at the black detective and asks, "can't you do anything for us?".  Then her reaction when the man does nothing but stare back at her.  Amazing!

It might be the same problem that occurs on American Horror Story.  They really like certain actors, so they write in characters that don't necessarily add to the plot.  Of course, this show is head and shoulders above the quality of AHS.

t's interesting that Michael was immediately desperate to find out if Kevin did do something to the boy. Seems to me that he also worries about Kevin being gay. If two parents are uneasy about this, chances are they know more than we do, despite Kevin manhandling every female in reach. Denial and aggression is not a happy combination. Scenes in the first episode made me wonder about the Kevin/Eric relationship. Adding jealousy to Kevin's mix?

I saw this scene differently.  Unlike Terri, Michael isn't unwilling to believe that little precious isn't perfect.  He actually cares if his son committed a crime.  On the other hand, Terri really doesn't care if her son is innocent.  She's just not willing to let some WT bring down HER son.  This weeks SVU episode really reminded me of this show.  it was an ambiguous rape accusation, and the boy's mother was sure some slut was trying to take down her precious baby boy.  As usual, women are the hardest on other women.

• Love 4
Then she mocks her about "the black card", and asking - can't you do anything for me.   And then the irony, the absolute irony at the end.  Terri "plays the black card", looks at the black detective and asks, "can't you do anything for us?".  Then her reaction when the man does nothing but stare back at her.

I hope few missed this point.

• Love 3

I go back and forth on the editing. Some times it seems brilliant and some times it seems pretentious. I really don't like the jump cuts in the middle of conversations and monologues. I can see where it might work on occasion but when it's all the time it feels forced and artsy-fartsy, just for the sake of being different.

And while I recognize that Regina King is a wonderful actress this is the second season where she has played an overbearing, self-righteous know-it-all and I'm tired of hating on her. She's just so unsympathetic I can't get invested in her.

And that's kind of a problem with the show as a whole: when the plot is so deliberately obtuse, it's hard to get invested in the characters because you really don't know where any of them are coming from. They're all such an enigma, I don't know if I really care about any of them, except for a select few.

Still, they have doled out just enough intrigue to keep me watching for the time being. 

• Love 2

I saw this scene differently.  Unlike Terri, Michael isn't unwilling to believe that little precious isn't perfect.  He actually cares if his son committed a crime. 

I might have agreed with you if we had seen Michael questioning Kevin the same way when they thought the alleged victim was a girl.  But he didn't.  He kept calm through the whole thing from the moment Terri called him to tell him about the article to the conversation with the detective in their living room. The moment the cop mentioned the victim was a male, Michael exploded.  Where was the outrage when they thought it was a girl making accusations?

• Love 2

I find Terri to be an extremely interesting character, but MAN did I laugh out loud when she tried to pull the black card on that detective, and he just stared her down, just after giving that whole speech about black people trying to pull the same thing on her. What a hypocrite she is. I thought Michaels reaction was interesting, especially as opposed to Terri, who jumped right into "boys cant be raped". He seemed to think that its fully possible that Kevin did it. Did hearing it was a male victim make something click in his head, like something Kevin did or said? Is he afraid that Kevin is gay? Was Michael a victim of abuse in the past? Something was going on there. 

I have no idea what is going on with Eric. He seems to be the most likely suspect right now, but I still cant be sure. It seems like his super macho "bitches be bitches" is more and more of a front, being both closeted, and being from a lower income family at a rich school.

I really fear for poor Taylor. I feel like his mom is going to keep pushing this, even after he told her not to, or it will catch national attention or something, and he might try to commit suicide, or actually succeed. I just do not see this ending well for him.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
And while I recognize that Regina King is a wonderful actress this is the second season where she has played an overbearing, self-righteous know-it-all and I'm tired of hating on her. She's just so unsympathetic I can't get invested in her.

I've watched Regina King for years and agree that she's a very good actress.  There's something about her that keeps me from liking her...and I don't usually invest in the characters actors play.  I saw her personality on a talk show (Seth Meyers') and thought she was great fun...told myself that I was seeing the PERSON, a likeable and enjoyable person.   And now...Terri LaCroix.  Regina, you don't make it easy.   (What if the character's real name turns out to be Theresa Cross?)

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 1

I also love that I do nothing except watch the show when it's on, just as I did during Season 1.  I'm afraid to look away as each glance seems to add to the story.  It's the feeling I get in live theater and it's so refreshing; something I've really missed in current TV.   Even though I give it all my attention, I still have to watch it a second time.  And I don't mind that at all.  I feel like they're giving me something to think about at last.

ABC gets and A+ for this show, didn't think they had it in them put real quality on the screen. They need to make this a trend on the network. I absolutely love this show, because I love characters that show just how complex people truly are...

I've long been bored with the so called sympathetic characters, or characters that one could place in just one box or category. It's not realistic to me, because that's not the case with real people.

On another note, I'm trying to figure out how exactly the school on the other side of town fits into the show as a whole.  What exactly are they trying to show other than the obvious differences?

Because I can see differences but they are what I would expect. 

I just feel like I might be missing similarities they might be trying to show rather than the differences.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

Powerful episode, as they've all been.

The weakest part of the show to me so far is how Taylor just let his him mom go ahead with all this. I think most guys his age wouldn't want this getting out no matter what. His telling her to stop with it seemed a little late.

So hard to figure out what happened that night, but I thought the fact that Eric drove Taylor and Evy home that night is probably key. If he drove, does that mean he was sober? Evy said that Eric seemed upset. Was he feeling guilty? Angry? Was he a participant or just a witness? Maybe both? I wouldn't be shocked if the semen turns out to be his, but maybe the writers will throw us for a loop and it will turn out to be Kevin's.

Powerful episode, as they've all been.

The weakest part of the show to me so far is how Taylor just let his him mom go ahead with all this. I think most guys his age wouldn't want this getting out no matter what. His telling her to stop with it seemed a little late.

So hard to figure out what happened that night, but I thought the fact that Eric drove Taylor and Evy home that night is probably key. If he drove, does that mean he was sober? Evy said that Eric seemed upset. Was he feeling guilty? Angry? Was he a participant or just a witness? Maybe both? I wouldn't be shocked if the semen turns out to be his, but maybe the writers will throw us for a loop and it will turn out to be Kevin's.

This is the type of story line that could go in many directions. So you can bet the writers will somehow throw us for a loop.

I didn't understand how the reporter could publish Kevin's name since he had not yet been charged with anything. I thought the police were still investigating. Names that are in public records are not suspects but persons arrested and charged. I also don't understand adding in the second school and the problems with the Black versus Latin community. I feel like the show wants to add racial elements to the story, which may not fit in with the overall plot.

I also will find it unbelievable if Kevin, Eric and Taylor are in the closet gay kids. Having both co-captains of the basketball team be secretly gay would be hard enough to believe. Not because gay people don't play sports, but having both captains happen to be gay would be unlikely based on general population stats. I'm thinking something else is going on here and I am intrigued to find out exactly what.

Taylor's mom should first and foremost ask him what he wants to do and then follow his wishes. Rapists should be punished, but not if it make the victim suffer more. The fact that Taylor was unaware of what exactly happened will make it hard for him to testify. I don't know if Taylor's girlfriend knows anything or if she is just on the show to introduce the other school. 

• Love 1
I didn't understand how the reporter could publish Kevin's name since he had not yet been charged with anything.

The article just said that the party in question was held at Kevin's house and that he was a co-captain of the team.  It didn't say he was suspected of anything himself.

It's just like naming the school in the story.  The school didn't plan the party or have anything to do with the party, except that it was a party held annually by the basketball team captains.

Edited by izabella

I didn't understand how the reporter could publish Kevin's name since he had not yet been charged with anything. I thought the police were still investigating. Names that are in public records are not suspects but persons arrested and charged. I also don't understand adding in the second school and the problems with the Black versus Latin community. I feel like the show wants to add racial elements to the story, which may not fit in with the overall plot.

I also will find it unbelievable if Kevin, Eric and Taylor are in the closet gay kids. Having both co-captains of the basketball team be secretly gay would be hard enough to believe. Not because gay people don't play sports, but having both captains happen to be gay would be unlikely based on general population stats. I'm thinking something else is going on here and I am intrigued to find out exactly what.

Taylor's mom should first and foremost ask him what he wants to do and then follow his wishes. Rapists should be punished, but not if it make the victim suffer more. The fact that Taylor was unaware of what exactly happened will make it hard for him to testify. I don't know if Taylor's girlfriend knows anything or if she is just on the show to introduce the other school. 

I don't think the article named Kevin as a suspect, just that his house was the one where the rape took place.

I dunno who is secretly gay (other than Eric) but it's fun seeing all the theories since just about every guy on this show, including the basketball coach and Kevin's dad are under the microscope by viewers for latent homosexuality.

Actually, I'm not even sure Taylor is gay. I mean, why would he invite Evy if he was going to that party to hook up with Eric? I think maybe Eric developed a crush and Taylor didn't think too hard about why the captain of the basketball team suddenly wanted to be friends with him. Ok, maybe that doesn't quite explain why he was looking at a photo of Eric on his phone (and that was a photo of Eric, right?), but it's plausible as anything right now.

Add me to the list of people who loath Felicity Huffman's character. I think the show has done a really good job of balancing characters like Terri, who's really obnoxious but also trying to be a good mother and protect her son, but it's hard to find sympathy for someone who is so smug about burying a potential rape just because it's inconvenient to her career. Can't wait to see her on the defense in the next episode.

Ok, maybe that doesn't quite explain why he was looking at a photo of Eric on his phone (and that was a photo of Eric, right?),

I can't remember when he was looking at Eric's photo, if it was Eric. 

Was Taylor looking at pictures from the party and could Eric's have just been one of them? 

I think it's going to be simpler than we think in the end. Eric is gay but fighting it. And when he saw an opportunity he took it. 

When Taylor was looking at pics on his phone the first episode I thought he was just going through his Instagram. I didn't take it as him liking or having a crush on Eric specifically. But that's just me. 

I don't know if Taylor's girlfriend knows anything or if she is just on the show to introduce the other school.

According to Wikipedia...Angelique Rivera as Evy Dominguez, Taylor's girlfriend and

the only witness to the crime.

And about their being more than one (closeted) gay kid on the team. It's possible. We're everywhere! Heh.

Edited by Jazz42
  • Love 2

I rewatched too and now I'm not sure if it was Eric or someone who just looked like him. And yeah, it looked like he was just browsing general social media, although the camera settled on the picture of the guy longer than the others. I might be reading too much into it though.

Something I noticed though is that he's watching a basketball game (that Kevin and Eric are playing in) while he's doing it.

What I find frightening about this season is this:  The only reason any of this has come to light was because Taylor was suspended from school.  Had Taylor not been suspended and the photographs come to light, he might not have said anything to his mother.  I think the show is showing the power of social media.

My favorite scene was when the teacher defended Evy to the police.  Unfortunately, police and others do not view black and brown children as just that, children.  They wanted to take Evy down to the station, as if she were an adult.  The teacher just reminded them of the law, you can't question a minor without a parent present.  

I also thought it was interesting when Eric told his brother that Marshall's the better school because they've got all races of girls there, not just "white, pasty ones."

I get Regina King's character because she's trying to protect her son.  What I found interesting was she didn't want Kevin seeing the black girl, but wanted him to see Nikki because that was completely based on stereotypes, i.e. a black girl is bad and hood, while the South Asian girl is good and studious.  I think the show is also exploring all kinds of stereotypes.  But my question is, what was the school breakfast conversation all about, at the Marshall school? (Thurgood Marshall that is).  The Latina teacher said it discriminated against Latino students?  I thought everybody needs to eat breakfast.  

• Love 5

The camera work is different, but I think it serves a purpose.  Something I've noticed is the prolonged reaction shots.  I find them uncomfortable and actually look away.

I thought he was fabulous during the police questioning and his father's confrontation.  I don't care for his sulky/macho/cool acting.  Taylor's been amazing from beginning to end.  I'm not as impressed with Eric, but it may be because I dislike the character.

I did end up feeling a little sorry for Kevin in the scene with the new girl.  Talk about mixed messages!  He touches her, she says no.  He touches her, she says no again.  He looks at another girl, she gets jealous.  Then she gives him her number, and smiles seductively as she tells him to text her.  I was confused.

Hell yeah.  I want this woman humbled.  I cannot stand her, but I've never seen a black female character like her, and King is doing a great job.  She could not be more cold and unlikable while firing that woman.  Then she mocks her about "the black card", and asking - can't you do anything for me.   And then the irony, the absolute irony at the end.  Terri "plays the black card", looks at the black detective and asks, "can't you do anything for us?".  Then her reaction when the man does nothing but stare back at her.  Amazing!

It might be the same problem that occurs on American Horror Story.  They really like certain actors, so they write in characters that don't necessarily add to the plot.  Of course, this show is head and shoulders above the quality of AHS.

I saw this scene differently.  Unlike Terri, Michael isn't unwilling to believe that little precious isn't perfect.  He actually cares if his son committed a crime.  On the other hand, Terri really doesn't care if her son is innocent.  She's just not willing to let some WT bring down HER son.  This weeks SVU episode really reminded me of this show.  it was an ambiguous rape accusation, and the boy's mother was sure some slut was trying to take down her precious baby boy.  As usual, women are the hardest on other women.

This is an interesting point, given the conversation Kevin had with his father earlier in the episode. Kevin points out that his parents are always acting a certain way, because people are watching them, and his father replies that they would act that way no matter what (even though people are watching). I think Kevin is spot on about his mother being hyper aware of her reputation and standing in their community, and is horrified at the thought of anything, or anyone, tarnishing that image. Up until now, the father has been shown to be the more laidback one -- less concerned about who his son is seeing, etc. -- and this might foreshadow how the two parents will diverge once the shit hits the fan.

I might have agreed with you if we had seen Michael questioning Kevin the same way when they thought the alleged victim was a girl.  But he didn't.  He kept calm through the whole thing from the moment Terri called him to tell him about the article to the conversation with the detective in their living room. The moment the cop mentioned the victim was a male, Michael exploded.  Where was the outrage when they thought it was a girl making accusations?

I wonder if part of the reason he was more calm during that first situation was because they were still piecing together what happened -- later in the episode, he already knew that the party happened, there was drinking, etc. Also, I think, based on their initial assumptions, the father was thinking that this was a case of drunken sex, more so than violent/premeditated assault/rape. In the second situation (with it becoming clear that the victim was a boy), there is no question that it's calculated rape/assault if he believes his son is straight, as opposed to his son getting drunk and having drunken sex with an equally drunk girl. I might not be explaining this well, but I can see how a parent might view those two situations differently.

Edited by lavenderpenguin
  • Love 4

I get Regina King's character because she's trying to protect her son.  What I found interesting was she didn't want Kevin seeing the black girl, but wanted him to see Nikki because that was completely based on stereotypes, i.e. a black girl is bad and hood, while the South Asian girl is good and

studious.

I found this interesting as well, especially with a woman who would not fit her own stereotype...

Regina is killing this role.

• Love 4

The argument at the poor highschool was about when meals were served. I'm going on memory, but it sounded like the other teachers wanted to limit the meals to a time in the morning where it wouldn't interfere with classes. The Latina teacher was upset because not all parents have the luxury of getting their kids to school in time for the meal and that this affected Latino students disproportionately for some reason (maybe because they lived farther away?). I can see both sides of the argument so I didn't think she was being as unreasonable as the other teachers seemed to think she was.

• Love 2

See, I thought that tied in to the conversation he had with Kevin earlier about having to "give up things" to be with Terri.  I'm not saying that homosexuality is hereditary, but if the dad was bisexual and had struggled with those feelings, then he might overreact to Kevin being the same way.  Or I just totally misread that scene. 

I'm really liking this season though.  I hate Regina King's character even more than last season, which is such a credit to her acting. 

• Love 2
I don't think the article named Kevin as a suspect, just that his house was the one where the rape took place.

The article had Kevin's name and age listed as one of the persons at the party, this is what got his mom so upset. Again, this would not be in public records unless Kevin were arrested and charged. 

I would really like it if one of the people at the Richie Rich school would be a stand up person and actually be concerned for Taylor. It is too much of a stereotype to me to have the headmistress and the coach refusing to believe Taylor and his mother . Not saying this couldn't happen in real life, it just is too much every other episode of L&O SVU for me. 

• Love 1

I think, but I'm not sure, that the place (address) where the alleged assault took place would be on public record.  Or at least the fact that it happened during a party thrown by the team captains.  From there to figuring out which captain is easy (the rich one is your best bet, but you can always confirm by asking the neighbors, for example if they remember a party going on that day.

Knowing this, the name of the captain is public record, and since he is 18, which is probably public record too (yearbook) then the journalist can print all of those details.  I don't see a problem with this.

Even if it's not on the police record, the way I think it works is that a journalist gets a story and he/she sets about to confirming the details.  In this case, that's what the journalist did by talking to the principal, it is inferred she also talked to the police, I'm sure we weren't shown her confirming which captain and which house because that would not be necessary, since we already know all of that.

• Love 1

As a former journalist married to a cop, I can say that revealing the name of someone who may be a suspect will get you sued. Until the police charge Kevin, his name is not in public records. The reporter could have got the info from Taylor's mom, but she would have to use phrases such as "it was suspected the party took place at the home of a basketball player" or something vague like that until charges are filed. I don't see the headmistress giving out any information to a reporter.

The article didn't accuse Kevin or even said he was under investigation.  The article said the party took place at Kevin's house and that Kevin was one of the captains of the basketball team.  People on social media were jumping to conclusions that Kevin was part of the assault, but that's not what the article said.  It wasn't clear if the article mentioned Kevin's age, that I recall.  They only said the reporter printed Kevin's name because he is 18.

So, the place the party took place is easy to confirm by talking to neighbors, you can't claim privacy when you have a loud party in your house that at the very least your next door neighbors heard and saw happening.  The fact that Kevin is captain is no secret.  The team has probably been featured in the school newspaper, and the local newspaper.

We know the journalist didn't make any claims as to the certainty of the events because Taylor's mother was upset and complained.  So, again, I'm not seeing a problem here.

The only person who revealed facts from the investigation was the cop in Terri's house, and even he didn't reveal much.  What he said about the case was not stuff that what was printed.  It was additional information.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 2

I understand why they would cut the other person out of a two-person conversation if it's someone we already know, but the Faceless Mother in the scene with Dan's wife erasing her little darling out of the team photos was really weird. I don't mind if the camera just chooses to focus on one person we know and the other one is a voice for that scene, but making bit parts just Disembodied Voices pushes the show over the line (as one poster brilliantly put it) from theatrical to pretentious.

All I kept thinking in the last scene was "Wow, good thing they never washed the clothes or there would be no show."

I don't rule out Kevin as not having done something to Taylor. I thought the Pilot established him as sort of sex-obsessed -- taking it whenever and wherever he could get it. Maybe in an inebriated state, it wouldn't have mattered if it was a girl or a boy. He's just seeming a lot like that Law & Order suspect who shows up at the beginning, but then the show spends 15 minutes chasing the wrong guy, only to circle around back to him. But I could definitely be wrong -- this show and Law & Order are very different, after all.

I am a reporter and have read a ton of police reports. Things like who hosted a party are absolutely in them. So the journalist didn't do anything wrong printing an 18 year old's name as the captain who hosted a party at which an alleged assault took place.

• Love 2