Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Episode 3

I love Terry LaCroix because I can't stand her. Black people are either the magical, saintly negro or the low-life thug. So seeing a fully evolved character who represents that black people are individuals with good and bad traits just like anybody else is refreshing.

I don't understand or care about what's going on at the second school. Until the two stories link up in a tangible way, all those scenes come across as pointless filler. Although I guess the tangibility comes from Taylor going there, however, the battle over school breakfast still seems irrelevant and out of place.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 3

The thing with the school breakfast is another way to show the difference/struggles between the classes isn't it? You have to at a certain financial level to qualify for free breakfast, etc. That you are considered so poor that breakfast and lunch at school might be the only meals you'll have all day.

Even more, it's a demonstrative example of equity versus equality. The people assume the latter is fair, because everyone is given the same conditions and expections. What the Hispanic teacher was emphasizing that equality is not necessarily fair because not everyone is as well equipped to meet those conditions. In this case, the Latino families aren't as well placed to get their kids to school in time for breakfast if time restrictions are imposed.

• Love 2

Not to mention the huge gap between the issues for each school principal.  Here's Felicty's character trying to decide what theater is good enough for her event while the other principal is trying to mediate a dispute as to when to have breakfast, which if not resolved, from what I understood, could mean they would lose their ability to even provide that meal to their students.

I think it's interesting that we get to see these differences, but I do agree that the plot seems disconnected from the main arc, namely the alleged sexual assault on Taylor.

• Love 1

I love Terry LaCroix because I can't stand her. Black people are either the magical, saintly negro or the low-life thug. So seeing a fully evolved character who represents that black people are individuals with good and bad traits just like anybody else is refreshing.

Love her too, although she's brings up more feelings of annoyance followed by eye rolls, than a I can't stand her feeling.

But you summed up exactly why I love the character. 

It's why I like all the characters pretty much. I'm not watching and looking for good and/or bad characters and I'm glad they aren't being presented that way because that's not real IMO.

I think it's interesting that we get to see these differences, but I do agree that the plot seems disconnected from the main arc, namely the alleged sexual assault on Taylor.

This is why I'm watching and trying to find the similarities that may not be obvious because I can't believe this well written show just stuck this other school in here for filler and to point out differences that are obvious. Unless you live under a rock one must know or at least find it believable that these issues exist in the school systems in poor communities. I keep thinking that they must be trying to tell/show me something else here that's connected with the rich school on the other side of town.

Edited by represent

t's interesting that Michael was immediately desperate to find out if Kevin did do something to the boy. Seems to me that he also worries about Kevin being gay. If two parents are uneasy about this, chances are they know more than we do, despite Kevin manhandling every female in reach. Denial and aggression is not a happy combination. Scenes in the first episode made me wonder about the Kevin/Eric relationship. Adding jealousy to Kevin's mix?

The black community has been historically very tough on black gay men. I think the show is introducing a lot of elements of how race (as well as socio economic class, etc) effects the expectations of, and interpretation of people's actions and motives.

• Love 2

The black community has been historically very tough on black gay men. I think the show is introducing a lot of elements of how race (as well as socio economic class, etc) effects the expectations of, and interpretation of people's actions and motives.

Yea, I think that is why he reacted that way. I think kevin will take the fall being 18, and having his name out there, but based on his reaction I just don't see any signs of guilt, just stupidity, cluelessness, and fear. 

Plus I'm leaning towards Taylor and Eric being gay, and I don't think all three young guys will be.

I think Taylor and Eric had something going on, perhaps were caught, and Eric said Tay came on to him and he and the team took some sort of revenge. 

Taylor's gf also told the police that Eric drove them home that night so I'm really thinking taylor and eric had some sort of prior relationship.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 2

Hmm... the coach was looking pretty guilty when he was trying to reach Kevin. Did he also participate in the hazing? The actor playing Kevin is good. He's another new face for me. And King is doing a good job of making me hate her character. Know-it-alls deserve to have their worlds shattered. 

I think something funky is going on with him too.... they're making him seem guilty of something. 

Im not entirely sure something happened at the party.  Didn't Taylor's girlfriend say he vanished from the party for a little bit?? She asked him where he went and he wouldn't/couldn't tell her.  I think the pictures happened at the party but maybe Taylor might be confused on what happened with the sexual situation. 

• Love 1

Why Taylor disappeared at the party is still subject to interpretation at this point (although this might be answered in the coming episode). Evy doesn't know about the rape, so Taylor could just be avoiding all questions related to the party because he doesn't want to talk about it. I still think that if Taylor went to the party to hook up with Eric, it doesn't make sense that he invited Evy to go with him.

Weird thing though, if this story is all over the papers and everyone involved knows that it's Taylor, why hasn't Evy found out about the rape yet? I guess no one in her low economic social circle reads the news?

Well kids in general don't read the paper a lot. Plus it is a story about another school. And it just came out that day. So I assume she will see it soon.

Well kids in general don't read the paper a lot. Plus it is a story about another school. And it just came out that day. So I assume she will see it soon.