Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

The first page of Dalton's recap for this ep is a thing of beauty. I am so pleased to see him include Mike's comment with the overwhelming sexism of this season. But he said Tyler was an upstanding gentleman, so he kinda lost me. But still, GREAT article and I applaud him for writing it.

It is great and I'm not surprised.  He's always very funny, knows the show inside and out, and is never afraid to call Survivor on its shit.  Far and away the best of the people recapping the show for the big media.  Part of the fun of watching Survivor for me is reading Dalton's recaps the next day - that and reading this forum (as I did TWOP before).

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Here are a bunch of tweets from our fearless host.  He must be done filming the newest installment of Survivor, or CBS told him he needed to pick up the slack on his twitter.  He's been MIA for most of the season.  Almost looking forward to this, and I don't think Dan or Will will get off the hook so easily.  Wonder if he still thinks this is the best cast ever?  Or maybe he really did mean best-worst ever, since they have given such a strong response (for better or worse).

I am happy and excited to hear that Jeff will address this during the finale.  I hope he has a montage ready to roll to avoid the "I didn't say that" or "I never meant what I said to come off that way" or "that was out of context" and on and on.  

I am glad that Jeff has spoken out about how problematic the misogyny and bullying from this season have been, but he is absolutely not the right person to address this. He doesn't seem to realize that the way he views masculinity/femininity, the way he favours the masculine ideal, etc. all contribute to the dehumanization of women and sexism that lead to crap like what we've seen. 

• Love 3

I don't know if Jeff will be able to get away with taking the soft approach this time.  He and TPTB are catching quite a bit of heat over this season, and if Jeff just lets everyone say their peace and move on, he probably will catch even more flack than he already has.  I don't know that there will be a resolution that everyone is happy with, and it is possible TPTB may just tell Dan and Will to apologize so they can move on after saying their peace.  

I wonder if Dan will give an apology, forget where he is, look at the camera and then start talking about what he really feels thinking it's just him and the cameraman.

• Love 1

Any apology given will not be sincere but I get it that TPTB would take it in order to hopefully put this to bed as far as production is concerned.  

Anybody else want to give the author a slow and approving clapping of hands? He's right . . . this might be the worst season ever because of the "cast of characters" foisted upon us.

• Love 2

Even though Thailand and Fiji rank in my bottom 10 for seasons and casts, at least at the final 7 I had people I was legit rooting for.  Not like this season where I'm grasping at straws looking for someone, anyone, to root for.  And that I'd vote for anyone in the jury or that was already voted off before the rest of them (can that please by a twist?)

Last season the cast was clueless, which sucked, and the young men were neanderthals but were not vicious, mean, assholes. This season the cast knows the game but ranges from annoying to sexist to misogynistic to full born assholes. I'll take clueless Keith over Dan any day.

• Love 2

This was Parvati's recap this week.  She's long been a hater of Dan, and I can relate to feeling as crushed as she does each week when it looked like he was going, yet survived.  Some of my favorite moments:

Dan the mailman starts off the episode with an anti-Mike rant. Dan calls Mike arrogant and condescending. It blows my mind that Dan doesn’t realize that he is all of those things he despises about Mike. Seriously, there is no one in the game that is more arrogant or condescending than Dan. Even Rodney has his redeeming moments. If Mike goes home tonight and Dan stays, I vow to never watch Survivor again. It’s gotten that bad.

And she hits the nail on the head as to why I'm disappointed in this season and the so-called gameplay:

Back at camp the five have to turn on one another yet again. The way these people are voting off anyone with any intelligence or social skills annoys me. I hate that the weakest players have all teamed up against anyone who’s actually playing the game. Bah-humbug.

She also refers to Rodney as the "island inmate" (I love that) and credits Carolyn's game play.  I never used to be a Parvati fan, but I grew to respect her as a player.  I wish we had more of her type this season.  Her, Penner, Sandra, Courtney, Natalie, even creepy Coach.

• Love 2

Back at camp the five have to turn on one another yet again. The way these people are voting off anyone with any intelligence or social skills annoys me. I hate that the weakest players have all teamed up against anyone who’s actually playing the game. Bah-humbug.

I don't know. That's kind of what Survivor is most of the time. Most people don't willingly go to the end up with the smartest and best social players. It's just that this season these people are more unlikable than usual. And a lot of her recap seems to be talking about who she likes and dislikes from a personal point of view, but it would be interesting to hear her thoughts on the strategy this season.

Besides, doesn't that mean the "weaker players" are playing the game better? Playing the game well isn't always about making big moves, as Natalie understood just last season.

I don't know that it means they are playing better.  In this case, I consider it luck.  Luck that they all found each other in a majority, and no one would flip or had the numbers to do so.  I only see Carolyn, Mike, and Rodney as being any sort of game player, but compared to some of the others through the years, I'd argue they'd have a weak case.  I've said before, I'd rather see a winner that made moves and got their hands dirty than ride coattails to the end and argue they are more likable than the 2 people next to them.

• Love 1
(edited)

I mean, I guess it's good they took it down at least. I'm surprised they had the smarts to do that. Them tweeting that is super funny in light of how they have Jeff out there acting like he's so appalled by all this sexism (that he regularly perpetrates) and will hash it out at the reunion.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

That is pretty WTF.  But I'm guessing by shirtless they mean 'running in around in bras and bikini tops'?

Them tweeting that is super funny in light of how they have Jeff out there acting like he's so appalled by all this sexism (that he regularly perpetrates) and will hash it out at the reunion.

Isn't that just going to be the damn cherry on top of this shitshow of a season. 

• Love 1

I feel old.  I was still in high school when this premiered.  I remember running across it and thought it was going to be the stupidest, cheesiest, fakest thing ever (I was thinking it was all on some sound stage somewhere and no one was going to look like they'd spent 39 days in the jungle at the end).  But it looked like something that would be so bad it might actually be good, so I watched.  And here I am, 15 years and 30+ seasons later, having only tuned out for 2 seasons.  I remember in Kelly Wiglesworth's RHAP, he mentioned it had been stated that had she won over Richard, the show might not have gone on to the success that its had.  It was the first time she ever heard that apparently, but she tended to agree and thought her life was better in the long run without winning.  I read an interview with Jeff looking back on that first season, and he said they thought they were dead in the water when Rich won over Kelly, because they knew he wasn't not going to be likable at all.  It's funny how far this show has come, and it has stayed so simple and consistent.  Back then, Jeff just read the votes and then was ushered aside from the reunion to make way for Bryant Gumble/Rosie O'Donnell.

What makes me feel old is to think that some of the 20 somethings from the early years have kids old enough that would possibly qualify now (or close to it).

I'm really old...50! I've never missed an episode or a season. Even, a bad season is better than most shows. The premise has always been very simple for me. One of those people out of 16, 18 or 20 is going to win. Who? Why? How? You can't not watch it. It's like a football game. You have to watch it to see who will win. I would love to be on the show. I once sent in a tape but alas never heard anything. I think it may be due to 3 things. I'm not good looking, smart or atlethic. That's a major problem in Survivor. LOL!!!

I also remember it being a big thing for Jeff to do the reunion (although, I think he or the reunions themselves are terrible) and, they used Bryant Gumble. The show was still huge at that time and CBS was all in on it. In restrospect, it should have been Jeff all along doing the reunion. He is out there for 39 Days and sees it all. He starts the game and he should end it. I used to love when the Early Show would do a follow up interview the next morning. Then later Dallton Ross hosted a show. I couldn't get enough then and I still can't get enough now. I read every exit interview and listen to EW and Rob Cesternino. It's 15 years and I'm still addicted. I simply need to get a life. LOL!!!!!

• Love 1

It's one thing for Bryant Gumble to host the reunion, especially then, CBS had just spent a ton of money to lure him from NBC, but it must have been a bitter pill for Jeff to swallow for Rosie O'donnell to host it. If he ever leaves, I wonder who they will get to replace him, hope they don't just end it. On the round table they did at the beginning of season 30, Jeff was praising Parvati's hosting skills, and suggested her as an eventual replacement. That would work I guess, I just hope they don't get Rupert or Russell. I'm sure before Dan saw this season's edit, he was probably convinced it would be him.

(edited)

It's one thing for Bryant Gumble to host the reunion, especially then, CBS had just spent a ton of money to lure him from NBC, but it must have been a bitter pill for Jeff to swallow for Rosie O'donnell to host it. If he ever leaves, I wonder who they will get to replace him, hope they don't just end it. On the round table they did at the beginning of season 30, Jeff was praising Parvati's hosting skills, and suggested her as an eventual replacement. That would work I guess, I just hope they don't get Rupert or Russell. I'm sure before Dan saw this season's edit, he was probably convinced it would be him.

I remember around the time Guatamela was airing when it was rumored Probst was leaving after season 12 Burnett said he wanted a certain former female player to take over Probst. I've always wondered who he was talking about this was before Parvati was ever on the show.

Edited by choclatechip45

First person that sprang to mind was Stephenie.  She's one of the bigger female names I can remember around that time, and obviously TPTB liked her enough to bring her back for Guatemala.  I know there were some big female characters/personalities back then, but the ones that always come to mind more are on the mens side of things.  Personally, I think they'd be better off getting someone not associated with the show to host if Jeff ever leaves.  I really thought he would have abandoned ship a long time ago, since it seemed like he had other interests and was riding the wave while it was still hot.  At this point, I see him seeing it through to the end, unless it goes for another 15 years and 30 seasons.  Then, I don't know.  If he hasn't left yet, I believe it would take something big to make him leave.  Short of being fired, maybe changes that he doesn't agree with.

I consider Jeff to be another Pat Sajack & Alex Trebek. They have great gigs and get paid a lot of money for little work. At this point, Jeff will stay to the bitter end. His talk shows & movie career have failed. He's not getting any younger so he might as well stay. I think he even has come to terms with it and is happy about it, too.

• Love 2

First person that sprang to mind was Stephenie.  She's one of the bigger female names I can remember around that time, and obviously TPTB liked her enough to bring her back for Guatemala.  I know there were some big female characters/personalities back then, but the ones that always come to mind more are on the mens side of things.  Personally, I think they'd be better off getting someone not associated with the show to host if Jeff ever leaves.  I really thought he would have abandoned ship a long time ago, since it seemed like he had other interests and was riding the wave while it was still hot.  At this point, I see him seeing it through to the end, unless it goes for another 15 years and 30 seasons.  Then, I don't know.  If he hasn't left yet, I believe it would take something big to make him leave.  Short of being fired, maybe changes that he doesn't agree with.

That's a good guess. I completely forgot about Stephanie, but your right that was the around the height of her popularity.

That's a good guess. I completely forgot about Stephanie, but your right that was the around the height of her popularity.

I personally hope Jeff Probst stays on for the life of the show (and honestly think it would be stupid for him to leave, I doubt he's ever going to find a better gig and since he's executive producer as well as host, I'm sure he's raking it in) but if he did leave, I would hate to see Parvati or Stephenie replace him.

I'm sure Parvati's hosting skills are fine for an ET correspondent type of gig, but I don't see her doing well in this sort of role. And Stephenie's accent drives me bonkers (this is coming from someone currently living in Philadelphia, where that accent surrounds me, but it still grates!) plus I don't see her as being a great host either. 

The reunions seem to be a hot mess no matter who hosts them so I don't even have a suggestion for that. I almost wish they wouldn't have live reunions and instead handle it like tribal councils where they last hours in real time but get edited down to the best parts. It would eliminate so many of the awkward cut offs and would allow someone else to make the call on whether or not Jeff is spending WAY too much time on something stupid, like when he give 5 minutes of airtime to presenting JT's mom with the tooth JT lost in a challenge in Tocantins. 

I doubt Stephenie would be up for consideration to host now.  Back then she was extremely popular with both viewers and producers, but now, she's kind of a forgotten after thought.  The only other person back then that I could see TPTB considering would have been Sandra.  The other female contestants that would have been memorable weren't entirely liked by audiences.  Now, there are plenty of names of contestants that I could see being offered Jeff's job, but I shudder to even think about them.  I'd probably mute the TV or FF through those parts.

I completely forgot about Jeff's talk show, and I used to watch it (though I don't remember Lisa being on there).  I wouldn't say it was horrible, but nothing unique to make it stand out.  I think the days of personal interest stories is over, and celebrity and trash talk are already covered.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't think many people could have handled that blow up between Special Agent Phillip Sheppard and Steve Wright on Redemption Island. Admittedly, what we saw of Jeff's handling was edited, but it really did seem like he managed to defuse a charged situation without taking sides and while showing a surprising amount of sensitivity about where Phillip's reaction was coming from.

I thought similarly this past season when Dan tried to insist that being adopted meant that his life had been just as hard as Shirin's. Jeff clarified, asking if Dan had suffered from domestic violence in his family, too, and Dan had to admit that he hadn't, at which point Probst (rightly) pointed out that their two situations were not, in fact, the same. He wasn't unkind about it, but he stated that there isn't an equivalence between a childhood that involved domestic violence and a childhood that didn't.

If Probst left, it would be very interesting to see who they'd get to replace him. While I think Parvati would be reasonable at asking questions at tribal council or at the reunion, I don't see her navigating the more loaded situations particularly well. Mind you, I probably wouldn't have given Probst credit for being able to to do it either, until I saw it.

• Love 2
(edited)

If it had to be a previous contestant replacing Jeff, Penner would be a great choice.

Having said that, I think most previous players would show a bias toward players they identify with - who played the way they did or wished they did.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 1
(edited)

If it had to be a previous contestant replacing Jeff, Penner would be a great choice.

Having said that, I think most previous players would show a bias toward players they identify with - who played the way they did or wished they did.

Not only that, but how would you do a returnee season and stay neutral?  It's why I could never stand to see someone like Rob or Russell take over for Jeff.  There'd be way too much playing the game from them vs hosting the game.  Penner would probably be a good choice to not let all the side distractions get in the way.  I like Parvati well enough, but I don't think she has the chops to host a show like this.  Recapping or doing interviews is her style, but seeing what Jeff does to get under everyone's skin, bringing up sensitive topics, and defusing platonic situations, I just don't see Parvati handling very well.  She still strikes me as a giggly flirt.

Edited by LadyChatts
(edited)

Not Penner please no.  I know Penner is a fave on these boards but honestly I don't get the love. 

In his last season he came across to as just another in a long line of sanctimonious bitter jury members. Outing Lisa how he did was just a low blow. The woman offered him a final 3 deal and he turned it down no one to blame but himself for getting voted out.

Anyway I actually wondered if the female being considered as a host was Elizabeth from the Outback?

Edited by elizacat
  • Love 2

JMO, but I wouldn't want to see ANY former contestants as hosts of Survivor.  It would bring back memories of Brooke Burke-Charvet on DWTS constantly commenting, "Back when I was competing on the show . . . "  Yuck.

• Love 1

Agreed no past contestants to host. They'd probably get Colby. But I also agree Probst ain't goin nowhere. Unless he plans to outright retire or gets a hankering to become a goat farmer or mosaic artist there's no reason to. He's not going to find a better gig and no matter what else he does he will always be remembered for Survivor.

• Love 1

I don't know, I've read that it's been hard for Jeff to maintain relationships because he's out of the country so often, so I could see that as a reason for him to step back from the hosting duties, and maybe just produce it, and occasionally appear. They could ease into it and have Probst co-host it for a season with someone else. I wouldn't mind a former player, just please, no Rupert. I think if he stepped down at this point, it would probably be Parvati. 

I still haven't watched Guatemala, I tuned out for awhile because of Rupert fatigue, but could the female they were considering as host have been Danni Boatwright? She's certainly one of the most photogenic winners they've ever had, how was her personality? 

• Love 1

I still haven't watched Guatemala, I tuned out for awhile because of Rupert fatigue, but could the female they were considering as host have been Danni Boatwright? She's certainly one of the most photogenic winners they've ever had, how was her personality?

I think the article came out either before Guatemala aired or while it was airing. So it is possible.

Danni was kind of boring on the show.  I liked her, and would love seeing her return some day, but I think her problem was being surrounded by louder and more colorful personalities.  She kind of slunk into the background.  However, that's the very thing that I believe led her to victory over Stephenie.  At the time, IIRC, she had a gig hosting on the radio for sports casting.  Plus, she was a former beauty queen and spokes model.  So it is possible with her background they might have thought she met the qualifications.  Don't know if she would have been as cutthroat as Jeff can be, but she probably would have been a very kind and compassionate host.