Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/01/survivor-cambodia-second-chance-out-first

Apparently not, as in this video (as to who the cast wants to vote off first), he says "Phoebe" (I'm assuming he means Peih-Gee).  Now that would be an interesting TC.  Not even poor spelling as Survivor is famous for, but that's another name all together.

Can you imagine going back to play against people you could study playing Survivor, and making zero effort?  It's like Keith didn't even bother spending 5 minutes reading the Survivor wiki about his opponents.   He either has zero interest or is a helluva an actor, and why he'd pretend to not care, I'm not sure.

Then contrast that with Varner right after Keith on the video, who has studied his opponents right down to their body language!  And then Vytas right after that mentions that Varner being so hungry could mean he's a good one to target. So maybe that IS Keith's reason for playing stupid?  But why play stupid to US, unless he's just in character?

The editing of that was pretty funny in spots.  Siera says Joe because he's not as good a player as he thinks. Then Woo says Joe because he's an incredible player.  And Kass says Vytas is like a serial killer walking around among them.  Too funny.

Edited by Guest

In regards to Jeremy's answer, how is Peih-Gee not alpha?

I actually like Kass, but I laughed at Varner's assessment of her: "she is confident, but in a scary way. She has no body language and doesn't move."

In regards to Ciera's answer about Joe, is this the first time we heard a player, pre-show, talk about screen time?

Did Dalton not interview Abi Maria for her answer about the first target?

Can you imagine going back to play against people you could study playing Survivor, and making zero effort?  It's like Keith didn't even bother spending 5 minutes reading the Survivor wiki about his opponents.   He either has zero interest or is a helluva an actor, and why he'd pretend to not care, I'm not sure.

Then contrast that with Varner right after Keith on the video, who has studied his opponents right down to their body language!  And then Vytas right after that mentions that Varner being so hungry could mean he's a good one to target. So maybe that IS Keith's reason for playing stupid?  But why play stupid to US, unless he's just in character?

The editing of that was pretty funny in spots.  Siera says Joe because he's not as good a player as he thinks. Then Woo says Joe because he's an incredible player.  And Kass says Vytas is like a serial killer walking around among them.  Too funny.

It's laughable to me that Ciera of all people would say that about Joe.  Joe did recognize he made a lot of fatal errors with his social game and strategizing, but in reality, the poor guy had a bulls eye painted on him from day 1.  He was a nice guy that no one wanted to work with because they knew they couldn't beat him.  Listening to some of Joe's pre-game interviews, I'm not sure he has much of a game plan that'll work this time.  The same things he has going for him are the same things that are going to go against him.  Having bigger threats in the game may help him potentially shift the target.  But, factor in pre-game or in-game alliances, and the fact that the more threats there are, the less chance you have at II, and you're screwed.  

Ciera, I still find overrated.  The biggest move she ever made was making everyone draw rocks.  I never considered her voting her mom off as if it was some huge shocking blindside.  If she had pulled that off on her own, I'd give her more credit for it.  Otherwise, I find her a forgettable sheep that just got carried along in an alliance.  Listening to her pre-game interviews, I don't think she has much going for her here, either.  I think she's going to get in an alliance and get carried along. 

Keith?  I like him, but I can't help but think of people who could have made it in his place that would not only know everyone's name, but actually have some game in them.  I don't think it's an act at all.  I think Keith is relying on being the good old clueless country boy again to make it to the end.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
The biggest move she ever made was making everyone draw rocks.

And the rocks would not have even been necessary had she believed Hayden when he pointed out the oh so obvious to her, that she was 4th in Tyson, Gervase and Monica's group and they'd just bring her along for votes. Instead, when they had the numbers to pull off the blindside against Tyson, she scurried to him and told him what Hayden and company were planning. And then the next tribal council, when the numbers weren't there, the light bulb finally went off in her head. 

• Love 3

Since he's likely going by how they played last time, I'd probably agree with his assessments.  However, I think this time around PG stands a much better chance of winning.  And putting past game play aside, he really thinks Woo and Keith have a good shot of winning over those ladies?  I mean, if Kass isn't a pre-merge boot she deserves to get something for making it that far alone.  I see what he is saying with Abi, Shirin, and Kimmi as well, but I think Probst needs to think outside the box a little (and also get over some of his star struck infatuation for a few of these players).  He should have stuck to the script and answered Dalton's question on who he thinks stands the best chance of winning.

Hmmm, I don't know all the players this year too well, especially the old-timers.  Those I know, and think are really low odds to win:

Keith: seemed clueless about the game

Abi: too abrasive/explosive a personality

Shirin: likely to rub people wrong, but probably a quick study and could be a wild card if she corrects her shortcomings

Vytas: my least favorite player this season, I think Kass nailed it

Ciera 2nd least favorite player, pretty useless her 1st season, amazes me she got voted back

Terry: too straightforward/honest, not subtle enough

Woo: like a young Terry, though not as good physically and without his leadership abilities.

Actually all the alphas probably face an uphill climb, as Survivor is pretty slanted against them. 

So who is likely to win?  I don't have a clue!

It's usually who you least expect on these seasons with a lot of returning players.  Amber, Parvati, Sandra, Cochran...none of them exactly favorites before the season began.  God knows who it will be this time.  I'm not even going to try to guess.

• Love 2

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/10/survivor-cambodia-second-chance-shirin-oskooi-interview-video

Shirin's interview.  She's glad she's playing with smarter people this time.  I do agree with her about the "six strong" alliance last season being un-strategic and no one wanting to waver from that group.  I don't know that Shirin is going to be anymore strategic than she was last season.  My impression is, she'll just get into an alliance and be just like one of the very people she complained about last season not doing anything strategic.

From Kass' Gordon Holmes' interview, the "Align or Malign," section:

McQuillen: Savage…definitely align with him. I don’t think he’s going to be able to deal. He has the Jeff Probst link everyone is bitter about. He’s a millionaire already. No one is going to give him the money. He’s probably going to find an idol being best friends with you-know-who.

Italics mine.  The tinfoil hat part of my lizard brain says, "signed and sealed."

ETA: hyperlink

Edited by Way Wes Jr
  • Love 1

I've got that box checked.

Many prayers and good thoughts to Terry and the Dietz family.

Amen to that.  Also, prayers and good thoughts to the donor and the donor's family during this time; a great gift has been given at time of horrible loss for these folks.

• Love 4

Italics mine.  The tinfoil hat part of my lizard brain says, "signed and sealed."

I loved reading through that!  I'm not a huge fan of Kass, but she keeps it real.  She likely knows that she has no chance and will probably have more of an uphill battle than anyone.  And I am a fan of Andrew, but I'm with you there.  Given the fact that Jeff already has discounted 8 of the ladies as having a chance to win, and he himself chose to align with a predictable bunch, I can't say a small part of me isn't going to get suspicious of certain events this season.  It's a fan voted, fan favorite season, and after the last couple of seasons being boring and nasty, I think they need this season to go well.  Which is why I won't be surprised if some of the bigger favorites somehow at least make the merge, even if certain events (aka producer interference) make that happen.

Amen to that.  Also, prayers and good thoughts to the donor and the donor's family during this time; a great gift has been given at time of horrible loss for these folks.

Very true!  So often the people who have suffered a tragic loss or someone who is able to make the sacrifice get forgotten in the process. 

Edited by LadyChatts

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/10/survivor-cambodia-second-chance-shirin-oskooi-interview-video

Shirin's interview.  She's glad she's playing with smarter people this time.

I watched the video, and wanted to keep an open mind towards her.  And she did make one good point, I felt.  If she does not annoy the others, they will be pleasantly surprised.  That will play to her favor.  But after that one insight she showed the same lack of welf-awareness that doomed her last season. 

She wants to play with smarter people, who know how to strategize?  She was on the brains tribe of her season.  They were plenty smart.  And all season long, people from each tribe played with outstanding strategy.  Shirin herself had next to no strategy: she was on the defensive from about day 2, and spent her entire season holding on for dear life. 

Shirin makes a fundamental mistake not uncommon among smart people.  She mistakes high IQ with good Survivor playing.  Two different animals. 

She says her biggest mistake was booting So instead of Joaquin.  Another big strikeout IMO.  Her biggest mistakes were 1) vastly overestimating her own play (and underestimating others from her season); 2) pissing off something like half the players out there, who much of the time hated her guts and were more than happy to bounce her from the game. 

I think she entered last season with grandiose plans to run the show, with her superior intelligence and manipulation skills.  I think it shocked her to see that not only could she not do that; she was pretty much an ordinary player, a pawn on a board of knights, rooks, one king and nearly a queen.

The final thing she said that made me scoff was her call-back to Boston Rob.  Shirin, you ain't no Boston Rob. 

• Love 5

I don't know, I thought Shirin seemed pretty astute in most of what she said. Will was the only one that hated her guts out there (maybe one of the early boots too, but he wasn't there long), and I consider him a casting mistake on the level of Brandon Hantz. Something is wrong with that guy, never should have been out there. I guess you could say Dan, but it seemed to me he was just angry there was another super fan out there that might overshadow his story.

McQuillen: Shirin…so annoying. But, I’ll align with her because she’s annoying. This older group is not going to put up with that and her social skills are kind of stunted I think. And for me to say that? That’s bad.

Lol, I kind of love Kass. Her analysis of the people was pretty interesting, she seems to be using the same basic strategy as the big alpha males in the sense of finding people in the same category as her and making sure they're considered "worse." Much as Joe wants to hide behind Terry/Jeremy's strength and be less of a threat, Kass wants to hide behind the bitchy/annoying ones and be just enough less. Could work. 

I don't know, I thought Shirin seemed pretty astute in most of what she said. Will was the only one that hated her guts out there (maybe one of the early boots too, but he wasn't there long), and I consider him a casting mistake on the level of Brandon Hantz. Something is wrong with that guy, never should have been out there. I guess you could say Dan, but it seemed to me he was just angry there was another super fan out there that might overshadow his story.

I can't really judge how Shirin will actually do based on any of her game analysis or plans because there is such a wide gap between her knowledge of the game and her real-life gameplay. 

As kikaha said, she's no Boston Rob (nor a Parvati or Cirie, or any of the others who both understood the dynamics of the particular season they were in AND could actually make the moves required/get other people on board with them.) 

• Love 1

Well, Boston Rob took 4 tries to win, and I almost think it deserves an asterisk next to it. Cirie never won, and Parvati wasn't really Parvati in her first season. If I had to compare her to anyone, I would probably say Cochran, but even that's not really accurate. Regardless, I'm not really assessing her chances at winning since I think this season is going to be driven by pre-game alliances.

Since he's likely going by how they played last time, I'd probably agree with his assessments.  However, I think this time around PG stands a much better chance of winning.  And putting past game play aside, he really thinks Woo and Keith have a good shot of winning over those ladies?  I mean, if Kass isn't a pre-merge boot she deserves to get something for making it that far alone.  I see what he is saying with Abi, Shirin, and Kimmi as well, but I think Probst needs to think outside the box a little (and also get over some of his star struck infatuation for a few of these players).  He should have stuck to the script and answered Dalton's question on who he thinks stands the best chance of winning.

I can see Woo and Keith making it far as goats, for being non-aggressive players (or non-entity players, in Keith's case) and non-annoying people.  I think Jeff is making predictions from a standpoint of knowing these people personally and also seeing how the group dynamics are shaking out there.  I think this sort of cast is going to reward a subtle, strategic, likable player, not a Kass or a Shirin.  

Are there subtle, strategic likable women in the cast this year?  Tasha?  Monica?  

The guys do seem to have a little of an edge.  A lot of them seem to be taking this seriously (not Keith) and just be a smarter crop than the woman, and overall more likable.  Though they get better edits, usually, too.  Of 14 'fan favorites' only 4 have been women.  

Good point Winston.  Maybe Woo and Keith were too obvious to mention as having no shot of winning, so that's why Jeff went with other options (though I still think he could have worked a man in there).  FWIW, here are Parvati's top 3 on who she thinks has the best chances (Kelley Wentworth, Ciera, and Jeff).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-second-chance-parvati-shallow-821218

Until we actually see how everyone's game unfolds, I don't know that I see the women being more strategic than the men.  I do think Kelley Wentworth and Tasha have it in them, and Monica maybe (though listening to her talk about her strategy, I'm still believing it's going to fall flat).  Parvati made some good points on Kelley, and that is how I think her game is going to go.  One thing the women are going to have going for them is that the men this season are going to be over achieving gamers who want to call the shots and think they have it all figured out.  Plus, physically some of the men are going to likely be viewed as bigger threats, so that could work in some of the ladies favor.  Kelly Wigles, Kimmi, Shirin, and Ciera so far give me the impression of people along for the ride, but it is possible they are still holding back in the pre-game interviews.  Both Shirin and Ciera made remarks about having people come to them or getting into an alliance and riding the wave, but hey, letting someone else do the dirty work has won many a nice million on this show.

• Love 1

From that same Gordon Holmes interview:

McQuillen: Abi…I would align with her in a heartbeat. You can already tell she’s going to blow up on people. She’s already blown up on a couple of the staff here. And, she’s in a rough place in her life. She just broke up with her long-term boyfriend. She’s in her thirties. She’s probably looking to get married and have kids. She’s going to be a trainwreck. And I think she’d be loyal.

Those two would be gold together.  Even though I don't think Kass will last long, I think she'll at least make for a good exit interview.

Abi broke up with Pete? News to me.... and she's got a great job as a high-end realtor, a booming business with her partner in the Acai Cocktail line. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about if he's quoting that from Kass. Or she's lying on purpose.

Abi broke up with Pete? News to me.... and she's got a great job as a high-end realtor, a booming business with her partner in the Acai Cocktail line. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about if he's quoting that from Kass. Or she's lying on purpose.

I thought I heard they broke up but got back together after filming was done.

I'm assuming it means she told folks she broke up on the show for strategy, but hadn't really broken up with him.

Any updates on Terry's son?  Such a difficult surgery, I hope he's still progressing well.

Edited by pennben

I thought Abi had tweated that she broke up with Pete after the show as well. I think she wants kids and he is not ready to marry and have kids. The biological clock is a killer. It really is, my Husband had about a month or two to propose before I ended it. Not because I didn't love him but because I was 37 and knew I wanted kids. As it is we have one child because we didn't get married until I was 38 and I got pregnant at 39. Now he kind of wishes that we had started earlier because he would love a second child and that was not happening once I turned 43.

I'm assuming it means she told folks she broke up on the show for strategy, but hadn't really broken up with him.

I can see misleading her castmates But why lie to Holmes (and his readers)?  

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2015/09/14/survivor-second-chance-peih-gee-i-call-the-two-man-buns-the-boy-wonders/

Pre-game interview with Peih-Gee.  I really hope she's playing up not being part of the Survivor inner circle and pretending to be naïve on pre-game alliances.  Otherwise, I don't like her chances too much:

Holmes: Any word on any pre-game alliance?

Law: I hope there aren’t any pre-game alliances. I think most people realize that it doesn’t really work. It’s not pre-game alliances so much as it’s pre-existing friendships…of which I don’t have any. I haven’t been in contact with anybody.

Holmes: Nobody has approached you?

Law: There’s been just…”Hey, I hope you make it on.” Little things like that here or there. That’s really it. I fell out of the scene a bit. I’m not going to the reunions. I actually haven’t hung out with any of these people. I had drinks with Shirin once. We both live in San Francisco.

Kass said similar things.  She didn't bother because it doesn't really work.  I don't really understand how it could not work.  Alliances do work and they all know that.  It almost sounds like something Survivor suggested they say in interviews so the season doesn't go down as "the interesting stuff all happened before the cameras turned on".  

Kass said similar things.  She didn't bother because it doesn't really work.  I don't really understand how it could not work.  Alliances do work and they all know that.  It almost sounds like something Survivor suggested they say in interviews so the season doesn't go down as "the interesting stuff all happened before the cameras turned on".  

Alliances work, but the question is, can pre-game alliances stay together until the end?  We saw what happened during AS and the first FvsF.  Though I'm not sure if Parvati and Ozzy had some agreement outside the show, he obviously thought she was sticking with him post merge.  However, there's a variety of factors that need to fall into place for that to happen.  I think that's why Kass, Kelly Wigles, Woo, and Vytas were brought up as people that no one really wanted to work with and wanted out.  Of course, I agree that some people may be downplaying that aspect.  Or keeping strategy secret so it can be a surprise.  Everyone knows there's pre-game alliances, and it is the one thing I hate most about returnee seasons.  I hope they don't end up ruining this season.

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2015/09/14/survivor-second-chance-joe-jeff-probsts-compliments-were-not-helping-me/

And an interview from Joe.  I also hope he's playing dumb and not wanting to reveal too much ahead of time.

Edited by LadyChatts

Any updates on Terry's son?  Such a difficult surgery, I hope he's still progressing well.

They live together, and were in photos together as she returned. Game strategy is what it is.

Terry's son Danny is doing well. His first question after they removed his breathing tube was "How's my fantasty football team doing?" He's always smiling.

They live together, and were in photos together as she returned. Game strategy is what it is.

Terry's son Danny is doing well. His first question after they removed his breathing tube was "How's my fantasty football team doing?" He's always smiling.

Glad to hear that about Danny!  I've seen a few photos of cast members wearing "Danny Strong" t-shirts.  Hoping for a speedy recovery for him.

How is lying to Gordon Holmes a game strategy?  It just doesn't make sense to me.  She brags about the villainess persona but then lies to her castmates saying she's in a tough place in life due to a breakup?  Is that like Johnny Fairplay type game strategy?  

The interviews that we are seeing now were recorded before the game started. Josh Wiggler's points to how much attention the Survivors were paying to each other at Ponderosa. They were not allowed to talk but they were analyzing body language and actons. I am sure that all of them were aware that their interviews were done in forums were someone might be able to hear what they are saying.

Abi might have been talling people that she and Pete broke up in order to garner some level of sympathy in the game.

The former player seasons are very different then the normal game because the players who are returning are looking for any type of edge. Some make pre-game alliances and expect to stick to them, some make pre-game alliances and are ready to ditch them based on circumstances. Some try and show how much they have changed through their body language, others flaunt their controversial characteristics. Kass was carrying around a book on how to get along with folks. Most took it as a joke and I think that is exactly what it was.

We know that there were plenty of lies in the campaigning podcasts, Rob C can protest that he is shocked that people were lying on his podcasts but he knew they were lying all along. These are folks who are desperate to return and desperate to prove how great they are at the game. They will do whatever they think will give them the edge. Lying in interviews that they think people might hear as it is being conducted is but one tool that they might try and use.

It would surprise me if those interviews were conducted in a way that others could hear them, with all the 'align or malign' stuff, especially.  

I don't know the set up but it sounds like things were pretty close. You could be doing an interview in one spot, someone else is doing an interview nearby and you might overhear them. Why not be cautious and lie a bit or hold close what you are planning on doing to be safe?

Dalton Ross seemed to be filming his interviews out in the open, (eavesdropping: likely,) and Josh Wigler specifically mentions that his interviews are in his cabin, with the fan going, (eavesdropping: less likely.)  I don't remember getting a sense of where Gordon Holmes is doing his - BUT, Holmes' and Wigler's interviews align with each other more than with Ross'.  Take from that what you will.