Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

They've announced they are filming in Cambodia the next 2 seasons, so I assume we are good until Survivor 33.  Not sure if it's been renewed beyond that (in the past it seemed like they re-newed 2 seasons at a time, since that got them through the TV calender year).  Survivor is still performing well in the ratings and the demo, so I don't see CBS letting it go just yet.   

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/tvs-survivor-to-drop-contestants-on-koh-rong-78675/

ETA: Here's some snippets from the above article.  The location is the tropical island resort of Koh Rong:

“The American show “Survivor” will begin filming in March in Koh Rong commune, Sihanoukville City and now they are on the island preparing,” Mr. Sokhon said, adding that a four-month filming schedule will wrap up in July and that production crews are hard at work on the island.

“They are taking a long time to prepare because they have rented out houses of local villagers as they have to cover them up to make the jungle look untouched and are decorating in the forest and along the sea,” the governor said.

I am very excited about this location.  No offense to San Juan Del Sur, but I'm ready for some new scenery.  The French version of Survivor was filming there, and there is a trailer for that season out there that makes me very excited for our version.  Sadly, that season in France was cancelled during filming due to the death of a contestant.  I had remembered hearing about that, but had forgotten about it until it was brought up in the article above.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

Ugh.  I've enjoyed this, and the last 2 seasons, for the very reason that it was entirely a new cast.  

On the plus side, I'd be happy if it's true that contestants can't return for their 3rd (or more) time.  I could go for some people that are getting their second outing.  Despite not wanting another AS, F/F, or whatever theme they come up with, there are quite a few contestants I'd love to see again.  I do hope they consider contestants from the older seasons, though much like Big Brother's fan vote for their AS edition, it's likely the newer contestants will have a better chance at getting votes.

Edited by LadyChatts

Well according to the spoiler Redmond the returnees will only consist of players that have played only once. He also said there will be a wide variety of players from the early, middle to late seasons on the cast list.  I hope this is indeed the case.

• Love 2

Well according to the spoiler Redmond the returnees will only consist of players that have played only once. He also said there will be a wide variety of players from the early, middle to late seasons on the cast list.  I hope this is indeed the case.

I would be more than okay with that.  Even though I'm not entirely against winners returning, but on the other hand I don't care to see someone that has won plus showed up more than twice.  I just don't know if I like the fan vote part.  Then again, I usually don't care for the producer picks, so either way I'm probably going to be groaning at some of the people making a return.  We'll see who is on the list, if the rumor turns out to be true.  Regardless, I'll still be watching.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

If it's strictly players who have played before in the cast (and no players who have played more than once) I'm okay with it - I don't like "mixed" seasons of returning players versus new players nor do I need to see any number of players yet again.

I don't remember her.  Can someone supply some details?  Thanks.  

She was Tyson's girlfriend on the first Blood vs. Water season. She was voted out in the first few days because Brad Culpepper thought that Tyson would switch places with her at Redemption Island, a plan that worked out for him not at all, and then she lost her first challenge at RI and was eliminated. She seemed like a lovely person, but she wasn't really there long enough to know much about her.

• Love 1

If you want to see more of Tyson and Rachael check out this seasons (over now so on demand?) Reality Marriage Therapy show - that's not the title I can't remember the title:)    I was surprised they were on it as the were the least "REALITY TV CELEB" and so the most normal.  I only caught bits of it, I wanted to watch those two but couldn't stand the other contestants.    Anyway Tysons thing was not getting married although he said he was 100% lifetime committed to Rachael.  But she wanted to get married, that was a big thing....so apparently something changed. 

I can see why the Yellow Tribe would be apprehensive not spilling what they do. for a living (for the main reason, people use this as a reason to vote someone out (or not give them a million). i'd be mad if i had to divulge that info). 

(edited)

From RealityBlurred: S32 might be determined by fan vote. I can just see Probst stuffing the ballot box for his personal favorites . . . if this is true, I mean.

The spoiler Redmond has released 30 out of the 40 names that will be on the fan ballot for the upcoming season. He also revealed that 5 players from this season will also be on the ballot though he promised his source he will not reveal them while this season is airing. I obviously wont post them here and I am unsure whether or not it is appropriate to start a new spoiler thread now given that the current season hasn't finished.yet but if you want to see the list they have it over the Survivor Futures forum over on Sucks.

EDIT: Correction he revealed 30 names, there are 5 more he still has yet to confirm (in addition to the 5 S30 names he hasn't revealed)

Edited by LanceM
(edited)

I feel like I can take a guess as to who might be considered from this season.  If they aren't going to include winners, I can see why he doesn't want to reveal who is being considered from this season.  Looking at the list of potentials, assuming it is accurate, I might get behind another season of recycled cast offs after all.  There are several names that are either surprising or who I hope are not cast in the end.  And a few I've been dying to see again.  I do worry that, with a fan vote, some of the ones who appeared later will get more of the votes.  I still prefer a season of all new faces, but I am glad we are not getting the same faces for the 3rd/4th/5th time.

If this is for S32, wouldn't they be really pressed for time to orchestrate a fan vote and then have them filming this summer?

Edited by LadyChatts

Apparently the latest rumor is that this season is going to be for 31 and they are going to push back that cast that is actually filming now to season 32. And really it is the only thing that makes sense if you are going to be doing some kind of fan ballot. Viewers would be very confused after voting for their favorites, tuning in October and seeing a whole different cast.  

What is still not clear however is how many of the cast that the fans are actually going to vote on and how may the producers themsleves are going to pick. I can't see this being a 100% fan voting only cast.

(edited)

What is still not clear however is how many of the cast that the fans are actually going to vote on and how may the producers themsleves are going to pick. I can't see this being a 100% fan voting only cast.

I agree. It'll probably be like the BB All Stars season where I think half were fan picked and half were producer picked.

Edited by peachmangosteen
(edited)

That would make sense.  If BB hadn't done that, wouldn't we have pretty much had season 6 all over again?  I see there's people from earlier seasons that I would think the producers would really want on there, as I've seen their names come up before on Probst and Burnett's wish list.  I never thought of them switching seasons around.  Though that must suck for the season 31 crowd.  Miss out on the fan voted season, and yours gets pushed back.  It will be somewhat interesting to see how desperate some people might get in trying to get people to vote for them.  I remember way back to the first AS season, before social media was even a factor, that some contestants were begging fans to write CBS on their behalf or tell them they wanted a fan vote for that season. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they selected people they figure have no shot, because that would entice people to vote for someone else that they really want to see on.

Edited by LadyChatts
(edited)

Though that must suck for the season 31 crowd.  Miss out on the fan voted season, and yours gets pushed back.

See, I think this is a good idea, actually. If you were on Season 31 and the fan-voted season was 32, nobody would even care about you. You'd just be an annoyance and an afterthought to fans clamoring for the favorites season to start already. Yes, the wait would be torturous, but I'd rather have my own moment in the spotlight. The only drawback is that the seasons after all-star seasons typically disappoint (think Vanuatu, Gabon and Nicaragua). But maybe this way, they can really prep this season and make it killer before the fan-vote season even gets going.

Speaking of which, I don't think we should treat this as a spoiler, because for the first time ever, we have a say in this! We should know who's on the ballot so we as fans can coordinate. I will abide until a decision is made, but I'm in favor of making this public knowledge with its own thread.

Edited by Bob Sambob
  • Love 1

See, I think this is a good idea, actually. If you were on Season 31 and the fan-voted season was 32, nobody would even care about you. You'd just be an annoyance and an afterthought to fans clamoring for the favorites season to start already. Yes, the wait would be torturous, but I'd rather have my own moment in the spotlight. The only drawback is that the seasons after all-star seasons typically disappoint (think Vanuatu, Gabon and Nicaragua). But maybe this way, they can really prep this season and make it killer before the fan-vote season even gets going.

Speaking of which, I don't think we should treat this as a spoiler, because for the first time ever, we have a say in this! We should know who's on the ballot so we as fans can coordinate. I will abide until a decision is made, but I'm in favor of making this public knowledge with its own thread.

I actually liked the original Blood vs. Water, which came on the heels of Caramoan/Fans vs. Favorites II.

I spoke to a mod about this and they said to create a new thread and mark it spoilers to discuss the vote, so I will do that if no one else does.

(edited)

I actually liked the original Blood vs. Water, which came on the heels of Caramoan/Fans vs. Favorites II.

I agree. You'll notice I didn't mention Blood v. Water. :)

But based on cast composition and tribe breakdown, I've always considered the first Blood v. Water to be the third Fans vs. Favorites season anyway.

As for the fan vote, I like the idea of a spoiler thread for now, too. I would never post stuff about that before it was common knowledge, but at the same time, this is kind of about us for the first time so we need to make sure to untag it as spoilery as soon as it's feasible. I actually FEAR the spoiler threads, so if it was in a thread labeled "spoiler" and no one steered me right, I'd never know to look.

So I only have one favor to ask: Can we make sure it's clear in the top post that real spoilers aren't allowed? This cast thread should be able to become a normal thread once CBS makes the ballot public. Does that make sense? I'd hate to read a current S30 spoiler about S30 players possibly on the ballot just because the ballot thread is currently under a spoiler-protected blanket.

Edited by Bob Sambob
  • Love 1

I liked Blood vs Water, Heroes vs Villians, and Micronesia/FvsF 1.  The original AS and the second FvsF are seasons I'd much rather pretend never happened.

For the past few seasons — the first Blood vs Water and Cagayan, specifically — I feel like you played your cards close to the vest in terms of your enthusiasm. And yet here you are, on record, saying that Worlds Apart cast is one of your favorite seasons of all time. What makes you feel so confident about stepping up right now and making such a big declaration?

Jeff: You know, I learned a lesson years ago that the audience is always right. This season is only good if the audience thinks it’s good. That taught me what not to say. Just do the show and let the audience decide. But I had such a good time with this season. I was riveted for so many days over what was happening, that I just gave myself a gut-check and decided, “Why am I going to hold back my enthusiasm when I feel this strongly?” Survivor fans trust me, I think. I’m pretty honest and candid. For instance, I’ve said that last season was not one of our best, and it was my mistake. I’m saying now, you should pack in and enjoy the season, because it’s going to be pretty damn good. If I’m wrong, I’ll go back in my hole and keep my mouth shut. But I don’t think I’m going to be wrong.

http://parade.com/377745/joshwigler/jeff-probst-digs-deep-into-survivor-worlds-apart-the-30th-season-of-the-hit-reality-series/

This was a quote from Jeff given in an interview prior to the premiere.  For starters, I don't trust him to keep his promise not to hype another season/cast/episode as being the best ever.  Sometimes all that hype is the downfall.  Even with whatever twists or moves are left in this season, I don't know that there's enough to salvage the season.  I never give up, but I think this season and its cast was somewhat of a misfire.  It's not even the cast as to why I'm losing interest, but a lot in general that feels different from other seasons.  The only thing I really liked was the 3 tribe format, which I wish they'd keep every season.

• Love 1

I just gave myself a gut-check and decided, “Why am I going to hold back my enthusiasm when I feel this strongly?” Survivor fans trust me, I think. I’m pretty honest and candid.

Hee hee HAHAHA LOLOL *slaps my knee* That Peachy is just hilarious! Oh, wait...

• Love 3

Did Jeff praise Redemption Island as one of the best ever before that season? Because if so then I think I know how the current "best ever" season turns out...

Since this keeps popping up, I'll keep asking: can anyone show where Jeff called this season the best ever?  So far I've seen zero indication that is true.  Also, this year (2015) he has called other seasons best ever. 

• Love 1

Since this keeps popping up, I'll keep asking: can anyone show where Jeff called this season the best ever?  So far I've seen zero indication that is true.  Also, this year (2015) he has called other seasons best ever. 

Well now of course that it's being brought up I can't find his best season ever quote, though I still believe I read it somewhere.  In fact, I thought someone posted an article here where he said it.  But maybe he did say one of the best casts, which has been quoted in some interviews, and I took that to mean best season ever.  Which could still apply, because it is usually the cast that makes or breaks it.  This season there's a lot more than a cast that's getting harder to root for each week that's losing my interest, however.  Not surprising that once again I disagree with Jeff.

In any case, I don't think the cast can be salvaged as being one of the best.  Maybe the season can be with whatever twist is out there, although since we still have the same cast, I don't know if that will be the case for me.

One thing that I've seen mentioned before but seen no confirmation of is that this is the "closest cast ever".  I do recall Max saying it in a post boot interview, but it's Max, and he also said this season will make us shit our pants because of how awesome it is.  What do we have, 5-6 weeks to go?  Still waiting Max.  It seems some are closer than others to each other but I said last week that I called BS on that statement, and I still do.  This cast seems about as close as any cast out there.  And, their season is airing, so I feel it would make sense they're still bonding over it.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

LadyChatts, in the same article that Jeff says the s30 cast may be the best ever, he specifically says three other seasons are the best seasons ever, in his opinion: HvV, BBB and FvF. 

ETA: for me, this cast is average.  Best I recall are HvV and Philippines. 

Edited by kikaha
  • Love 1

I think the point is Probst was hardcore hyping this season pre-premiere. Maybe he didn't say 'best season ever' specifically (Though I'm fairly sure he did. Again, it's just mindless hyperbole, but still.), but he called the cast the best, the twist the best, said that this season was 'going to be pretty damn good,' etc. You lie, Probst! But honestly I saw it coming because I don't agree with Probst on anything really.

• Love 1

Dalton Ross is reporting on EW what the big twist is, which is happening this week. I'm not sure if it's spoiler territory, so I'm not going to say what it is, and I didn't want to post in the spoiler thread, I don't want to accidentally see a spoiler. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I guess it probably depends on who gets the special power on how I will feel, lol.

I can't imagine that this season won't impact applications for decent normal people.  Not so much because the contestants seem so vile this season but because I think they are pretty normal people and have had all their worst weak moments highlighted in a villain reel while others are getting a different role.  I get the impression that this year so many people were playing under the radar, or were fans and keeping their mouths shut, being careful, that the editors just went with the dreaded "what sells".    Pretty much anything can get clipped and not only taken out of context but inserted wherever for max effect.  Only the desperate to be a reality celeb forever would want to so entirely put their fate in this seasons editor's hands. 

I can't imagine that this season won't impact applications for decent normal people.  Not so much because the contestants seem so vile this season but because I think they are pretty normal people and have had all their worst weak moments highlighted in a villain reel while others are getting a different role.  I get the impression that this year so many people were playing under the radar, or were fans and keeping their mouths shut, being careful, that the editors just went with the dreaded "what sells".    Pretty much anything can get clipped and not only taken out of context but inserted wherever for max effect.  Only the desperate to be a reality celeb forever would want to so entirely put their fate in this seasons editor's hands. 

The fact that Dan can't even be self aware enough to realize when to just shut up and say you're sorry speaks to his true character as a person.  That, and the fact that people he's been picking fights with out there are all females.  We don't see him going after any of the men in the way he's treated the ladies this season.  Yet, he still thinks he can win and sees nothing wrong.  Even if Dan's behavior warranted him a second shot on the show (god forbid), how does it make one feel that you're only being asked to return because you were King of the Assholes and despised by the masses in your original season?  Frankly I believe Dan would totally crash and burn a second time, especially in an AS season.  I keep saying, get him in a season where he doesn't have a Mike or Rodney to cling to, and has to put up with more outspoken females than the ladies this season, and he'd look like an even bigger ass then he already does.  No one has challenged Dan or his comments except Mike it appears.  I sincerely hope Jeff lays into him at the reunion, or he tries to butt into the Will vs Shirin debate and gets booed off the stage.

What worries me is the fact that season 32 (which was supposed to be season 31) is filming now.  If Jeff & co truly thought this cast was the greatest and water cooler worthy, what is that going to leave us with for that season?  Are we going to get more Dan, Will, Rodney types because they thought they would go over so well ("well" meaning being controversial enough to get people to tune in and talk about the show).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

The first page of Dalton's recap for this ep is a thing of beauty. I am so pleased to see him include Mike's comment with the overwhelming sexism of this season. But he said Tyler was an upstanding gentleman, so he kinda lost me. But still, GREAT article and I applaud him for writing it.

• Love 3

The first page of Dalton's recap for this ep is a thing of beauty. I am so pleased to see him include Mike's comment with the overwhelming sexism of this season. But he said Tyler was an upstanding gentleman, so he kinda lost me. But still, GREAT article and I applaud him for writing it.

I agree.  I really liked the recap.  I also like how he is questioning why Jeff said it was one of his favorite casts of all-time.

I don't like Tyler, but I don't remember any overtly chauvinistic confessionals or actions that he has taken, so I'm okay with him being included on the 'okay' list, although I definitely agree "upstanding" is a stretch.  He is sneaky and underhanded, but the article was focusing on men treating women like crap and I think Tyler has been mostly equal-opportunity in his tattletale-ing.

Related, what do people think about Jeff's answer to Dalton's first question for the week?  I saw this mentioned on another thread too, but sorry, forget where.  I think it was mostly written by the HR department at CBS, but I don't hate it.  It kind of goes back to the idea that Survivor is a social experiment.  I wish there was some promise for "better" casts in the future that won't explode with despicable, woman-hating acts.  But I guess he implies that they weren't casting for negative characters when he says that Will was delightful throughout the casting process.

Oh, oh, oh, thank you!  This is hysterical!  

Thank you, Survivor, for throwing us a bone!  Not to totally gross you all out, but in the first little bit where he is sitting in the pond, you can clearly see a still pool of water all around, and bubbles rising in a cluster near his ass.

Just saying.

• Love 3
(edited)

Jeff Probst @JeffProbst  ·  Apr 30

I don't remember a season that had such opposing views!  Some of u LOVE it some  HATE it, nobody in the middle! Oh well, no stopping it now!

Jeff Probst @JeffProbst  ·  5h 5 hours ago

It will definitely be a topic at the live reunion show on May 20th!

But showing it, letting people speak honestly about it, is the way you bring it to light.  I hope that makes sense.

In NO WAY do I condone degrading comments about women or domestic violence.  I have a mom, a wife, a daughter.  It's disgusting.

For all of u so mad at me -  keep in mind -- when I'm in host role my job is to ask questions, not share personal opinions.

Jeff Probst @JeffProbst  ·  6h 6 hours ago

RT @calabocavitu: @JeffProbst hali jenn joe and shireem were the only nice ones I hate everyone left  You are clearly not alone. :)

Jeff Probst @JeffProbst  ·  7h 7 hours ago

RT @hesa: @JeffProbst please tell me these people are killing your will to live too! Just awful. I don't condone. Live show will address.

Jeff Probst @JeffProbst  ·  7h 7 hours ago

RT @ReadDaSyllabus: @JeffProbst: really hoping that u address the misogamy  @the reunion.  COUNT ON IT. Once season is over convo gets real.

Here are a bunch of tweets from our fearless host.  He must be done filming the newest installment of Survivor, or CBS told him he needed to pick up the slack on his twitter.  He's been MIA for most of the season.  Almost looking forward to this, and I don't think Dan or Will will get off the hook so easily.  Wonder if he still thinks this is the best cast ever?  Or maybe he really did mean best-worst ever, since they have given such a strong response (for better or worse).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2