Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

One of my favorite moments during Guatemala was that one RC where Yaxha (thanks in large part to Brandon) totally blew Nakum out of the water, leaving poor Jaime back at the first station trying to chop away at some ropes to release planks as they cruised to victory (literally, right past the frustrated Nakum).

And how can we forget "Gary Hawkins" the landscaper?

• Love 2

Guatamala left me with one distinct memory - the utter and ccomplete downfall of Stephenie. Such a heroine (seemingly) in Palau, and such an entitled bitch in Guatamala! What a difference! It may well have been the edit she got in both seasons, but it was very effective.

• Love 5
(edited)

The Price is Right special featuring former Survivors filmed yesterday (haven't heard of an airdate, but since it's a primetime special, my guess is May sweeps).  Not sure when the Big Brother/TAR episodes are filming or who is involved with those.  But from Survivor, looked like Joe, Max, Tyler, So, Mike (WA), Boston Rob, Cirie, Christina Cha, Natalie Tenerrelli, Ken Hoang, Woo, Monica, and Corinne were all there.

It mentioned that there are going to be fans there, so not sure what role the Survivors are going to have.

Edited by LadyChatts

OK -- regarding last night's Survivor - This Time it's for real edition.  Listened to EX morning live on the way into work today -- and Dalton Ross has been on location while they were filming Survivor...so here's what they understand about last night's bizarre near death a palooza.

1.)  Every challenge, once it's set up, has a 'dream team' of body doubles that runs through each challenge 2 - 3 times, before the contestants ever get through it.  So, presumably, this challenge had been 'semi-road tested'.  Now...this 'dream team' does get to do each challenge fully rested, fed, and hydrated.  Basically, they are bodies that run through it, but not in the condition of the contestants...so YMMV.  So Ross was sure that the challenge would have been at least executed correctly a few times prior to being filmed with the contestants.

2.)  Variable may not have been looked at was when those run-throughs happened:  If they were early morning, the temps would have been far lower than mid-day...there could have been cloud cover...any number of weather/time variables to account for it.  In the discussion this morning, several points were made about the time of day this challenge was held was a virtual set-up for failure.

3.)  The medical  and production team is behind the camera with water, umbrellas, etc...which is why Probst started calling for 'all hands' and a swarm of people came out with everything ready.

4.)  With 2 people sitting out...that meant 3 of the 12 competing - 25% needed medical attention.  That's an astronomical percentage, and much higher than any previous challenge that had drops/evacs.

5.)  And this feels like I didn't 'hear' it right...but Apparently, this season was filmed BEFORE the last Cambodia season - so this was, essentially, the 'test run' for the entire environment.  So this challenge may have seemed more brutal because it was the first time they'd experienced this locale, and weren't aware/prepared for the heat and conditions as they were in the season before this. 

Overall -- the feeling was Production may have just pushed their envelope too far.

• Love 1
1.)  Every challenge, once it's set up, has a 'dream team' of body doubles that runs through each challenge 2 - 3 times, before the contestants ever get through it.  So, presumably, this challenge had been 'semi-road tested'.  Now...this 'dream team' does get to do each challenge fully rested, fed, and hydrated.  Basically, they are bodies that run through it, but not in the condition of the contestants...so YMMV.  So Ross was sure that the challenge would have been at least executed correctly a few times prior to being filmed with the contestants.

Andy Dehnart has a good column about this whole mess of an episode on his site realityblurred.com 

From that column, he notes the following with respect to the dream team run through:

Here is a critical detail: During the challenge rehearsal, run by the Dream Team, the ball bags were marked by flags. (Watch below.) Those were not there during the actual challenge.

Survivor’s crew rehearses challenges to plan camera angles and that sort of thing, but also to make sure the challenge works. The challenge might be adjusted to make something easier, or it might be adjusted to make something harder.

In this case, there was a clear decision to remove those flags, which obviously created a situation where the tribes were forced to search in the sand far more than the Dream Team was. A difficult challenge was intentionally made more difficult.
  • Love 1

BeatrixK, you didn't hear wrong, this season was filmed before Second Chances (S31 filmed May-June, while the current season filmed March-May).  Seeing what has gone down so far, I can see why the challenges were less physical during SC, and why they seemed to go overboard in making the camps look like an ad for Home Depot with the rewards.  I guess they didn't want what happened during Koh Rong to happen there (and of course, we did still get Joe passing out, and Keith about 5 seconds away from passing out).

Because it can't be said enough, TPTB really screwed up here.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Why is the Dream Team composed of only young, fit people?  That doesn't accurately reflect the way the challenge is going to be run by the tribes.  They should have a few older/heavier/less fit individuals in there.

• Love 4

In the obscure former Survivors in the news department, Alexis Jones of Survivor Micronesia (she was one of the women in Parvati's Black Widow Brigade) apparently got into some altercation with a couple of LA Lakers at a traffic stop where they allegedly made rude and vulgar gestures towards her and her mother.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/03/21/l-a-lakers-investigating-nick-young-jordan-clarkson-over-sexual-harassment-allegations/

• Love 1

Wouldn't that be hilarious if the Dream Team one time was just a bunch of us middle-aged schlubs from previously.tv!?!  What a blast that would be!!  (I bet the puzzles would be more likely to lie down like lovers for us than the actual Dream Team...)

• Love 6

Guatamala left me with one distinct memory - the utter and ccomplete downfall of Stephenie. Such a heroine (seemingly) in Palau, and such an entitled bitch in Guatamala! What a difference! It may well have been the edit she got in both seasons, but it was very effective.

I liked Steph in both seasons. Maybe it was just Internet opinions and their shifting focus rather than a difference in Stephenie or the edit.

I was never a Stephenie fan, and I too did not notice any difference between her on Palau and on Guatemala, personality or editingwise.  But maybe so many people saying how horrible she was on Guatemala made me expect something much worse, softening the impact, and I watched Guatemala long after Palau so maybe my memory was not so good.

Steph's story in S10 (the lone survivor from a decimated tribe) was so unique that the show couldn't help make it 'heroic' in a sense, even if Steph was more realistically the least-losing of her tribe of epic losers.  Also, since literally 75% screentime in the early episodes went to the Ulong tribe (since they kept going to TC), I can't blame the editors for trying to portray these people in as likable a light as possible since we'd be spending so much time with them.

By S11 rolled around, it was either a case of Steph taking her "Iron Steph" fame too seriously or letting it go to her head, or else this was her personality all along and the editors could more freely show it.  And yet even still, Guatemala was one of those seasons where the show tries to keep a fan favourite's "goat" status hidden in the edit the entire time --- Steph, Russell, Matt von Ertfelda, Sugar, Spencer, Tasha, Coach, all players who had no chance in hell of winning but Survivor tried to keep this hidden to keep the suspense going.

• Love 3

This may have already been posted back a couple of months but I ran across a reference to a reddit post - apparently Woo (or his double) was in a Jeep commercial during? the super bowl.  Someone also saw the commercial run during a basketball game.  Woo is in the commercial as a rock climber. 

This may have already been posted back a couple of months but I ran across a reference to a reddit post - apparently Woo (or his double) was in a Jeep commercial during? the super bowl.  Someone also saw the commercial run during a basketball game.  Woo is in the commercial as a rock climber. 

I was going to come on here and ask if anyone knew if that was him!  It sure looks like him.  If so, good for him! (I tried to find a link to the video, but it is suspiciously hard to find!)

Edited by Special K

Steph's story in S10 (the lone survivor from a decimated tribe) was so unique that the show couldn't help make it 'heroic' in a sense, even if Steph was more realistically the least-losing of her tribe of epic losers.  Also, since literally 75% screentime in the early episodes went to the Ulong tribe (since they kept going to TC), I can't blame the editors for trying to portray these people in as likable a light as possible since we'd be spending so much time with them.

Even though James was such an asshole to her in H v V, you reminded me of his speech at Tribal where he said, "And I know it's very romantic, you being the only person left alone in your tribe," which was hilarious, (But then of course he got mean and said something like, and maybe there was a reason for it, LOL.) 

Woo is in the commercial as a rock climber.

Yeah, I guess if they had to pick someone who is athletic and good-looking yet clueless enough to run down their car battery by pointing their headlights at a rock wall so they could climb it at night, Woo's a good choice.

• Love 11

Yeah, I guess if they had to pick someone who is athletic and good-looking yet clueless enough to run down their car battery by pointing their headlights at a rock wall so they could climb it at night, Woo's a good choice.

This is such a great post!

• Love 1

So would I. I just figured that if Dreamz had honored Yau Man's agreement, Yau Man would have won. He didn't, Yau Man got booted, and Earl got the 9-0-0 vote. For that season (unfairly maligned by Probst), Earl would be my #2 after Yau Man, especially for his chin-stroking reaction to the fall of the Horsemen.

I'm thinking Sandra just wanted a free trip to Los Angeles. Why would she jeopardize her 2-for-2 record?

• Love 2

Lantern, I haven't seen Fiji for years.  My memory is that Earl ran the game far more than anyone else... never was in serious trouble of getting booted... and made it all look pretty effortless.  He made a few mistakes, but they didn't end up hurting him.  An outstanding performance, which makes me wonder why he hasn't played again. 

Yau was my favorite that season, so it hurt when Dreamz backed out of their deal.  I loved the scene where Jeff snarkily asks Yau why he is sighting the arrows for the challenge... Yau explains he wants one with as little bend as possible, so the arrow will fly true... and he then proceeds to hit the mark, one of the only to do so. 

Edited by kikaha
  • Love 2

Knowing how they sometimes hide clues to things in rewards, I had a fun mental image of Mark putting her beak into that cup and drawing out a rolled up bit of paper.

• Love 1

A bit late, but what the hell .. . tonight, ABC ran a teaser for the summer season of Battlebots. One of the robots was built by a guy from NASA named Dan Barry. If that rings a bell, it's because he was on Exile Island. His entry -- Black Ice -- won a "rumble" by defeating two other bots, earning a place in the upcoming tournament.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Don't forget that tonight the Survivor Price is Right special is on at 8pm EST.  Tomorrow is Big Brother, and Wednesday is The Amazing Race.

ETA: Okay, I was wondering if the reality show contestants were getting anything on here (didn't know if it was double the prizes).  If they make it to the showcase showdown and win, the Survivor (or whatever show they are on), gets money for charity.  Also, Cirie was one of the first 4 called down and the contestant she was paired with picked her up in a big hug-the look on Kelley Wentworth's face was priceless.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
(edited)

Me too!  I'm already a fan of TPIR anyway, but I hope they do more of these specials in the future.  Hopefully it gets a good reception.  Not surprised by the Survivors that were called to come on down.  Pics already gave it away, I know, but even if they hadn't, still wouldn't have been surprised.  So jealous of the lady to get to be that close to Joe.  I miss my manbun!

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Wouldofshouldof said:

And Joe and his contestant win - man, he really is charmed, huh?  Yay Joe!

He seemed more excited at the end than his contestant did.  Also nice to have an Ozzy sighting.  

• Love 1
(edited)

That was a fun show. Even Probst was acting like a goofball. And LOL at Ozzy's spokesmodel routine; he was rubbing his body all over the car.

22 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Not surprised by the Survivors that were called to come on down.

Me either. The Survivors couldn't have been chosen randomly because the most popular ones made it to Bidder's Row (it saddens me that I've watched enough Price is Right to know that's its official name), although I would have thought Special Agent Phil would get called. Is there a full list somewhere of which Survivors were there? Besides Phil, I saw Corinne, Monica Padilla, Christina Ha from One World, Daniel Lui from Amazon, Tyler Crapface and Sierra from Worlds Apart, I think Willard from Palau, and maybe Dan Foley, although it was just in a quick shot and I can't imagine why they'd think anyone would want to be paired with him.

Edited by fishcakes
unnece's'sary apo'strophe
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

That was a fun show. Even Probst was acting like a goofball. And LOL at Ozzy's spokesmodel routine; he was rubbing his body all over the car.

Me either. The Survivors couldn't have been chosen randomly because the most popular ones made it to Bidder's Row (it saddens me that I've watched enough Price is Right to know that's its official name), although I would have thought Special Agent Phil would get called. Is there a full list somewhere of which Survivors were there? Besides Phil, I saw Corinne, Monica Padilla, Christina Ha from One World, Daniel Lui from Amazon, Tyler Crapface and Sierra from World's Apart, I think Willard from Palau, and maybe Dan Foley, although it was just in a quick shot and I can't imagine why they'd think anyone would want to be paired with him.

I know racist borderline psychopath Ben from Samoa was there too. ?

• Love 1
(edited)

Max! Thank you! I kept looking at that guy and thinking, "wow, Vytas really looks terrible."

I don't watch TPIR.  Is it always so manic?

Not to that degree. People jump up and down and yell a lot, but last night was like a normal show all coked up.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Max! Thank you! I kept looking at that guy and thinking, "wow, Vytas really looks terrible."

Not to that degree. People jump up and down and yell a lot, but last night was like a normal show all coked up.

Funny!  I was originally gonna write, "did they make them all snort coke first, or what?!"

There was also an awful lot of women jumping with splayed legs onto men.  Probably not quite so much of that on the normal show.

• Love 3

I have to say, amidst all the mania, Drew Carey provides a nice, calm, benevolent presence.  I guess that's what Bob Barker did as well.

I have now officially thought more about TPIR today than I have in my entire life up until now.  :)

• Love 5

Max said that the Survivors were pre picked that we're going to get called down.  I don't know if they knew the order they were getting called, though.  Seems they called some of the most popular first so they'd have a better chance of getting onstage.

Will, Jenn, and So from WA were also there, as was Aaron from China, and Mike from Samoa.  Did they put out a call for any former Survivors to show up, I wonder, or did they reach out to some specific ones?  Anyway, that was a lot of fun.  Looking forward to tonight and tomorrow!

• Love 2