Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Method Head

How many layers is that? She's an actress on a television show pretending to be a zombie who catches murderers pretending to be an actor on a television show pretending to be a zombie who catches murderers? That's like Supernatural levels of self-reflexivity.

• Love 12

Perhaps a diagram will help:

Rose McIver

||

\/

Liv Moore

||

\/

Liv Moore's Zombie Detective character

||

\/

The show Liv Moore's Zombie Detective Character is investiagting. 

That's four, unless it gets circular or I miss a layer.  As Ravi would say, just relax and try to enjoy it, but for me a diagram helps.

It'd be funny if they make a reference at some point to imply one of the sub-worlds is ours ("In this world John McCain lost the Presidency and Elvis is dead"  Wait, that second one could go either way.)

Yep.

I. just wonder how she's going to make pretending to be an actress pretending to be a zombie look enough different from being a zombie that we can tell who's who :)

• Love 2

This is the only new thing on during the State of the Union address (in the Eastern time zone). I wonder if that will bring in new viewers.

ETA: On over-the-air channels, I mean.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

Major is smarter than I thought he was. Knew that the doctor was tricking him but thought he would fall for it.

Love Clive and Liv back together again. I like his girlfriend too. Wish she saw the cooler.

Ravi continues to be one of the best characters on TV! Just adore him. I don't like Rita at all but totally envious over her Pantene hair.

I'm so dumb and realized just now why the actress looks so familiar- she was in Phil of the Future! She has become a pretty good actress- I miss her and her cuteness with Ravi.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

Well, that settles the debate over whether or not Blaine is bad enough to essentially enslave a zombie prostitute.

Clive banned Liv from cases for about two seconds, but that's fine by me because the show is less fun when she's not actively investigating. I liked her fangirling over Zombie High, although I'm disappointed that she wasn't actually pretending to be an actress pretending to be a zombie. There were enough fun meta jokes about cities standing in for other cities and a zombie hero being dumb to keep me amused, though. 

(My favorite joke of the episode was the Power Rangers one, though, especially, "I don't know if he has the range for Blue.")

I knew that the Fitbit-esque bracelet was some kind of mic or tracker, but I forgot about it when the flash drive appeared. Good on Major for knowing it was a trap and handing the drive over, although for a second there I thought it was going to be a double fakeout where the doctor actually was planning to expose Max Rager and Vaughn Du Clark would kill him to set an example.

I like that Bozzio is onto Blaine now; this is tying the different story threads together nicely.

• Love 9

I liked this episode (did they say no new episodes until February?) Liv wasn't too overly "brained" as the dead guy. I'm glad Major realized it was a test, but I wish they would move that plot along, it's gotten boring.

• Love 1

For some reason, that stupid dancing robot and Vaughn dancing along with it, kept slaying me.  It's just so silly, but it somehow works for the character.  Steven Weber seems to be having so much fun and is totally dialing up the smugness as high as he can.  Totally knew the whole flash-drive/other doctor was a test, and I'm glad Major did too, although I'm guessing that was all because of the handy-dandy bracelet he gave him.  Still, nice move, Major.

Part of me is bummed that they rushed through Clive and Liv reuniting, since I do think there was some potential drama there.  But, overall, I'm glad they are back on the same page, since their interactions are only below Liv and Ravi's interactions, as one of my favorite things about this series.  Case of the week was better then normal, thanks to all the meta references and Liv eating an arrogant actor's brains.  I imagine Rose McIver got a kick out of this one.  Failed to pick the killer, because I thought it was going to be that assistant since she kept popping in the background.  Instead, it was the most obvious choice: the prop master. 

Ravi continues to be delightful.  Loved him playing on with Actor Liv's silly invisible apple game.

A small moment I liked was seeing what Liv looks like when she is having a vision from someone else's perspective; in this case, Major and Ravi's, when they were in the field.

Blaine was mainly doing his own thing for this one, but now that FBI agent is onto Blaine, and I'm guessing Clive too, will start digging in.  This could get ugly.  Also, it sounds like Minor has a tracking chip in him, so Major might be getting into some trouble soon as well.

Happy for it's return, only to find out it won't be back again until February 2.  Aww, man.  That's some odd scheduling.

• Love 7

I thought this was Rose McIver's best work (and that's saying something), because there were points where she was acting as someone acting, and the audience knew it, and she went more intense--but made it work. 

The meta-jokes were funny without taking me too far outside the episode (I liked the comment about pretty young people), and the way Liv came back to Clive was nicely paced--instead of having them patch it up the next "day", they showed time passing where Liv worked her way back.

The only odd thing was, it was kind of a Christmas/New Year's episode, and they showed it January 12.  It would have worked better between those dates, though that helped share the "time passes" idea.

Major's "oh, no, are you and Mom getting divorced?" to Ravi before he breaks the news was just the sort of "funny/tragic timing" news that makes this show good.

• Love 2

The main thing I kept thinking as I watched this episode was how happy I was to have this show back on my tv. I love the funny dialogue and the relationships between the characters.

If Major was able to plan taking out Meat Cute and putting a non-FitBit with a microphone in it on Vaughn, then I am confident he will be able to explain to Dale Bozzio why he has that missing dog next week. The smartest answer would be that he found it at the park without any tags and he took it home.

I loved that Liv was fangirling over being on the set of her favorite show. I also loved that Ravi started out talking shit about how terrible the show was and then getting addicted to it. I was surprised that Major got Liv a Christmas present but didn't get anything for Ravi. That seems so unlike Major. I wish we had seen more of Christmas at Ravi's house. I really want to know what Ravi got Liv for Christmas.

Liv going on and on about acting was hilarious, as was Ravi asking her to tell him more. Ravi really is the best.

• Love 7

February 2? What the hell? Why the wait, CW?

I was so happy to have this show back! So unfair. But I will just have to be thankful for this bite I got here because I really loved this one. 

Good for Major, seeing through the doctor. I totally thought he was screwed, but he surprised me. 

The Meta stuff was good, especially the zombies wondering about what a show with a zombie hero would be like. They didn't go to, like, Supernatural levels of Meta, so I applaud their restraint. Lets save that for season 4 at least. 

Ravi, is, as always, the best. And it was good to see Ryan Lane from Switched at Birth here. I was calling him as the killer, based only on the "hey I recognize that guy" principle. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

Did anyone else not know that Rose McIver was once the Yellow Power Ranger?  That might be the best meta/in-joke I've heard since My Name is Earl.  Just give the writers the Emmy now, and bring a box of them for everyone else on this show.  Also because it's the only writing in a VERY long time to make name jokes work:  Liv Moore the zombie, the alias John Deaux, Dale Bozio investigating missing persons, DA Baracus, and Minor the dog are my favorites so far, but I'm missing some.  They're kind of funny out of context, but when they're just dropped in there as normal, it works better.

• Love 3

And it was good to see Sean Berdy from Switched at Birth here. I was calling him as the killer, based only on the "hey I recognize that guy" principle. 

That was actually Ryan Lane from Switched at Birth, not Sean Berdy. But yes, I also thought he'd turn out to be the killer hah!

I liked this episode a lot, too bad now we have to wait a while for the next one.

• Love 3

That was actually Ryan Lane from Switched at Birth, not Sean Berdy. But yes, I also thought he'd turn out to be the killer hah!

Ah! You are totally correct, my mistake! I blame my lack of coffee at the time of posting! 

• Love 1

I'm so Meta, Even this Acronym...

This was a bit of fun but it seems weird to break up the season like this and to put a kind of Christmassy episode in a random spot in January. But I'll take what izombie I can get.

I thought the resolution to the crime was a bit sudden after canvassing so many suspects but, as is often the case with this show, I don't think the COTW is that important.

• Love 3

If Major was able to plan taking out Meat Cute and putting a non-FitBit with a microphone in it on Vaughn, then I am confident he will be able to explain to Dale Bozzio why he has that missing dog next week. The smartest answer would be that he found it at the park without any tags and he took it home.

How would he explain not having the dog checked for an ID chip? Anybody who puts a GPS on their dog is going to have an ID chip put in.

That was adorable. I loved all the meta about acting and the zombie show that caters to teens.

I think I'm in love with every character on this show. All the actors seem like they're having so much fun. Clive/Liv and Ravi/Liv top my list of favorite relationships but really they all have their moments.

I was really pleased that Major knew he was being played. And he took it a step farther in rigging up the fitness band!

The actress who plays Gilda needs to have a hair-off with Priyanka Chopra. Lord am I jealous of their shampoo commercial hair.

February 2nd? Why make us wait, CW?

• Love 8

I like this show so much, especially for the little things - like Clive stuffing himself at the buffet, VDC's "dancing robot."  Watching this show always puts me in a good mood.  I like that Clive recognized how important it was for Liv to be involved, I love David Anders in this.  My only concern - I like this show, so I assume it's going to be canceled sooner rather than later. 

• Love 5

The meta wasn't as funny because I can't find the continuing story line in iZombie any smarter than Zombie High. Why are they keeping everything secret til the zombie apocalypse? All the intense emotions are in the cases of the week and the more they devolve into a serial about the love lives and other intrigues of the principals, the weaker the series. My opinion of course.

• Love 1

I was really pleased that Major knew he was being played. And he took it a step farther in rigging up the fitness band!

I think we are to read this as Major knew he was being played because he rigged up the fitness band.

There's no way (I think) that soft-hearted Major would literally let someone get eaten by the "Romeros" if he hadn't already known that this was a test.

I do wonder about how long it might be before VDC realizes the Not!Fitbit is bugged and uses that for some other trap for Major. I'll put it at 3 episodes.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 3
I think we are to read this as Major knew he was being played because he rigged up the fitness band.

I thought he rigged up the fitness band and that's how he realized he was being played. Vaughn didn't set the trap for him until after Major gave him the band.

I think I'm in love with every character on this show. All the actors seem like they're having so much fun. Clive/Liv and Ravi/Liv top my list of favorite relationships but really they all have their moments.

True. Though I could use more Liv/Gilda. Maybe put Liv on bitch brains and have an epic bitch-off with her.

All right, I was wrong, Blaine really is that repugnant. It is made up for by Ravi being just that great. He gave me a few out-loud laughs this episode, especially with his imaginary popcorn.

Major could say he found the basset hound and hadn't gotten around to taking it to a vet? I don't think that's insurmountable. Worst case, the dog will be returned to its zombie owner's family.

• Love 1

Major could say he found the basset hound and hadn't gotten around to taking it to a vet? I don't think that's insurmountable. Worst case, the dog will be returned to its zombie owner's family.

Not only that, but he's had time to think that up.

• Love 1

Not only that, but he's had time to think that up.

Which could in itself be a problem. There's a point in time where saying he hadn't gotten around to it is going to fall flat, and neighbors know how long he's had the dog, so he won't be able to lie about how long he's had it.

It seems to me that the difficulty with the dog isn't that it provides sufficient evidence to arrest Major for the disappearance of the own. I'm not even sure that it would convince a judge to issue warrants for searching Major's home and bank accounts and so on. Babineaux isn't going to think it's a coincidence that someone he suspects is involved in Meat Cute massacre ends up tied into a major disappearance. 

On the up side, Major does have a good prep for an insanity plea. 

• Love 2

It's going to make me so sad when Clive finds out Liv's a zombie and it leads to a major rift between them. I love Clive and Liv together- I was so happy they were friends again by the end of this episode, but the zombie thing is going to drive them apart for much longer, I'm sure.

Major's "oh, no, are you and Mom getting divorced?" to Ravi before he breaks the news was just the sort of "funny/tragic timing" news that makes this show good.

"You really have to work on your 'Good News' delivery" in the same scene!

Dale Bozio investigating missing persons,

I didn't get that until I saw this post and Googled her.  LOLOLOL!!

How would he explain not having the dog checked for an ID chip? Anybody who puts a GPS on their dog is going to have an ID chip put in.

But how would Major know that the dog has GPS?  It's not going to be on the dog -- it would be tied to the ID chip, right?

But how would Major know that the dog has GPS?  It's not going to be on the dog -- it would be tied to the ID chip, right?

GPS units for dogs clip on the collar or are built with their own, special, collar. It's separate from the ID chip, which is embedded in the dog. My point wasn't so much about Major knowing about the GPS, which he could belatedly ditch, but that the GPS indicates that there would be an ID chip which would identify the dog sans tags and prevent Major from pleading ignorance about the owner. He could try saying he liked the dog and decided to steal it for himself, but I don't see him carrying that off.

GPS units for dogs are fairly big; it's not possible to make one the size of a microchip and inject it into the dog. A dog could only be tracked via the GPS until it was removed from the collar and discarded or the battery ran out. 

A microchip is a tiny (size of a large grain of rice), passive, implanted chip that, when scanned with a chip reader, reveals information about the dog and its owner. The show was making it sound like the dog could be tracked via an embedded chip, and... no. The technology's not there yet.

• Love 5

GPS units for dogs are fairly big; it's not possible to make one the size of a microchip and inject it into the dog. A dog could only be tracked via the GPS until it was removed from the collar and discarded or the battery ran out. 

A microchip is a tiny (size of a large grain of rice), passive, implanted chip that, when scanned with a chip reader, reveals information about the dog and its owner. The show was making it sound like the dog could be tracked via an embedded chip, and... no. The technology's not there yet.

Not to mention that the chip database is a for-pay thing. Our current cat is a rescue and we were told that if we didn't pay the monthly fee her information would be deleted.

I had completely forgotten this show was back. How stupid of me! I'm just glad I caught a rerun.

This is the best show on tv right now for me. Every character is so likeable (doesn't matter which side they are on) and they all have something to do. But I did miss Peyton. I even continue to love Blaine given what a repugnant man he is. As long as the show doesn't give him a stupid redemption arc, I'm good. And how smart was Major for manipulating Vaughn by playing on his ego and bugging him in the process? I so appreciate a show where the nice guy romantic lead is allowed to be smart. Being a good person doesn't mean they have to be dumb. But now he needs to tell Liv about zombie-freezing work and join forces.

Ravi is the most awesome guy on the show and he walks the perfect line between serious and goofy.  I love how he much he loves Liv's personality changes. Liv eating a fake apple followed by Ravi taking out a fake tub of popcorn was pure gold. But I wanted one scene between Peyton and him.

I'm loving Clive and his fed gf. "You can canvas this..." Hee. It was even more funny because she proceeded to explain the lame joke. And now Clive is back with Liv. These two are great together. Clive tried to keep his private and professional life separate but I like to think he simply missed Liv and not just want her back for her skills.

Liv is turning out to be one of my favorite characters ever. I can't even explain exactly why but I just love her. I think I like her even more than Veronica Mars.

Does anyone know how are the ratings and how close is this to getting a second season?

Edited by norask
  • Love 4

I feel dumb thinking that Major was actually suckered by Vaughn. That being said, go Major! I think this was probably one of his best episodes. I also felt like the episode was appropriately tense, and I always like seeing the threads of a story come together. I did spend most of the episode suspecting Anna Galvin and then her assistant, so to learn it was the prop guy was eh, but I really enjoyed this one. DigitalCountess felt like a lot of the references were a bit aged, though, and--just as in Veronica Mars--I'm inclined to agree. Like "Marlon Brandouche" seemed maybe...beyond the guy's frame of reference. Not that he wouldn't know who Marlon Brando was, but the idea that he'd toss that off in a flippant manner as if it rolled off the tongue fell a bit flat for me.

Also, lol at the Power Rangers joke. I'm just happy my babies (Rose McIver here and Eka Darville in Jessica Jones) are getting great work.

Did anyone else think that there was a weird scene missing? They jumped from the big reveal that Wyatt was pissed about being scheduled to be killed off the show, and Starlee having motive because the sex tape could reveal her being mean, to the car being towed with the tombstone flashback, to bringing in Jenny's husband for questioning. I just felt like there should have been some scene involving Wyatt and Starlee?

Also, is there anyone else who thinks there is a chance that the two drug dealers with the tainted utopium in their systems could easily be mindless zombies right now (due to tainted utopium leaking into their body)?

I am curious, what is the "status" of zombies? Are they human? Or already considered "dead"? So would it actually have been better if he "killed" them? Because he wouldn't actually be committing a murder of a human being. Kidnapping could be argued that way too. One of those legal intellectual exercises that should be coming soon to your next bar exam.

Did anyone else think that there was a weird scene missing? They jumped from the big reveal that Wyatt was pissed about being scheduled to be killed off the show, and Starlee having motive because the sex tape could reveal her being mean, to the car being towed with the tombstone flashback, to bringing in Jenny's husband for questioning. I just felt like there should have been some scene involving Wyatt and Starlee?

They may have run out of time. The COTW three red herrings at us and then suddenly wrapped out of the blue. I think they tried to do too much and the COTW was considered less important than the other stuff.

They may have run out of time. The COTW three red herrings at us and then suddenly wrapped out of the blue. I think they tried to do too much and the COTW was considered less important than the other stuff.

I was thinking that was the case, just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining the disjointedness of that section.  My TiVo is old and has been recorded and re-recorded over so many times, I sometimes fear missing things.

I am curious, what is the "status" of zombies? Are they human? Or already considered "dead"? So would it actually have been better if he "killed" them? Because he wouldn't actually be committing a murder of a human being. Kidnapping could be argued that way too. One of those legal intellectual exercises that should be coming soon to your next bar exam.

They stated in the pilot that Liv had a heartbeat, althou it was very slow, so I would think you'd have to qualify them as alive.

They stated in the pilot that Liv had a heartbeat, althou it was very slow, so I would think you'd have to qualify them as alive.

I guess that is as good a definition as any.  So is there any crime committed turning someone INTO a zombie?

Knowingly or carelessly infecting someone with an incurable disease? Yeah, pretty popular supervillain stuff :)

I think the central idea of this show is a riff on the popular "the CIA created [societal plague / disease]" rumor.

• Love 1