Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E02: Taste Test / S17.E03 Keep On Truckin'

Contestants go to a food court and field trivia questions about unhealthy food before visiting a medical research facility. Later, they pull food trucks, and the winners get tips from Lorenza Garcia while the losing team must eat from the food trucks.

Perhaps at some point tonight, any contestant aside from Richard will start becoming interesting to me. Go, team.

I just got this thought, "Hi, I am a Biggest Loser producer, do you mind if we feature your food truck/food court stand on our show so we can show our viewers what they SHOULDN'T be eating? Great, thanks a lot."

So, Sarah and Dad are already rubbing me the wrong way.

Punishment with food. An interesting concept for this show. 

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 2

Was Jen just cheering an 86% heart rate on an obese person?

Richard looks like he's already pretty muscular. I guess the prison yard weights did him some good. 

I missed what happened between the end of the weigh in and the gym session just now, I had to get laundry out of the dryer. I guess I missed a challenge.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 1

This little whiny girl thinks she knows more than Dolvett? Who's fit, and whose not?

Sorry, I can't get behind the bash Dolvett brigade.

Thank you! I normally don't mind the contestants, but man do I wish Felicia would fall below the yellow line so her whiny ass could get sent home.

• Love 9

*looks at the appalling food truck orders, jaw drops.*

THIS is why you're here, dummies!

NewYawk

You missed the teams having to drag three food trucks each 600 feet.  Colby and Sarah could not participate for medical reasons.

The losing team has to eat off the food truck.

Hey, thanks, mythoughts! :)

I wonder if Bob was giggling when he found out the losing team would have to eat from the food truck,. I can't watch this show without that YT clip running in my head now.

I want Dolvett's team to win SOMETHING, dammit.

• Love 4

Stephen was feeling guilty about losing the 2 pound advantage for no reason.  He gained on the Black team from where they were when his turn started.  He just couldn't make up the difference. 

I wonder how many days were actually in either of the two 'weeks'  portrayed this time?   

Hope may have that PCOS? syndrome, which could be making weight loss difficult.

• Love 2

Hope may have that PCOS? syndrome, which could be making weight loss difficult.

Yes, I was just reading about PCOS, and hairloss, weight loss difficulty and trouble getting pregnant are all hallmarks of it. I read that many women with it also have hypothyroidism. 

I'll be doing milky way bites (frozen) and the formerly mentioned M&M peanuts tonight.

Chocolate chip cookies & a brownie with icing.

Richard looks like he's already pretty muscular. I guess the prison yard weights did him some good.

I agree -- he's a big, solid guy, and I think he looks good already. He should focus on building muscle.

I hate the emphasis on the "number." I know this show isn't about getting healthy, but it galls me when the trainer says someone should have lost more.

The tears are just as annoying in room of death or whatever it's called.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

I agree boofish . I can't wait for her to get voted off.

So the new format has a weekly weigh in even if it's a 2 hour show?. I think that they are trying address the accusations of meddling with the weigh in times between episodes.

What is going on with team Dolvett?.

Let us blame Dolvett for his team not winning. Sure... He is the reason why you are overweight in the first place. Pull the blasted waaaambulance to the front door instead of a food truck. Funny how the red team finally pulls together and actually wins a weigh in. Week three, and I cannot stand the majority of the people still at the ranch.

I was distracted by that ridiculous dress Jen wore at the weigh in, and not in a good way. That wet-look Lycra looks like something you could buy for $14.99 at the place at the mall that sells nothing but "bodycon" (read:stripper) dresses and platform heels.

Money can't buy thin. But here's another commercial for Jennie-O turkey!

Dr. H should have his medical license revoked for being associated with this joke of a show.

I also noticed Hope's thinning hair and immediately thought of some kind of hormonal problem. She has some moon face going on too, which makes me think Cushing's. It can be next to impossible to get real weight off and keep it off without treating the underlying condition, so I hope she's seeing a good endocrinologist. Another reason why this show is a joke.

• Love 6

Jen's dress was hideous and incredibly short.

I can't seem to care enough to watch an entire episode of this mess. Almost all of the contestants are unlikeable.

I was stunned to see Bob's tattooed hands mixing up the Jennie-O turkey to make burgers. I thought he was vegan (then I read somewhere that he stopped being vegan). I remember the contestants from another season going to his house and learning about how being vegan is the best way to be healthy.

I thought Richard Hatch walking back from the truck pull was "strategy" on his part to make his team lose yet another reward. I don't know to what end but I think it was.

Hope's husband needs to stop yelling and grunting and groaning. It's not productive.

Will purple-hair girl make it to makeover week? Will they address her hair before then?

• Love 3

I only saw the last five minutes but imo Hope has thyroid issues. Show must know about them (even the last scene with her is medical re pregnancy chances). Why would you want to have a baby until you dealt with your own health?

If they're going to make this a two hour show than give us two weigh ins, I like that.

Felicia thought Dolvet was disrespecting her the first week?  Wow.

Hatch is scheming the entire time.  Although he was genuinely excited for his weight loss.

I don't remember Allison being on screen half as much as Bob has been.  I don't see this as a good change.

• Love 6

Never did care for  Dolvett, but, SERIOUSLY, BL? Snotty little brat is gonna put the big bad dumb trainer in his place? Said trainer is suddenly channeling Jillian? And OH, Red team just happens to finally win the weigh in, thereby cementing snotty little brat's convictions that she is the smartest thing to ever hit the gym...Puhleeze! The segment with Dr. H was just about the only believable thing in this episode.

• Love 5

Am I the only one completely annoyed when reality show contestants get sent home/voted off and they cry like it's a funeral and they will never see each other again? Felicia getting all snotty about her friend being sent home. So you would rather her win the money instead of you? And that husband crying like he was sending his wife off to war *atomic eye roll with a duck lip chaser*

And I don't want to sound mean or like I just stepped off the Victoria Secret runway but how long have these at home contestants been back in the real world? My favorite part of this show used to be sticking around for the at home transformation story but so far I have not been that impressed with anyone voted off the ranch.  

• Love 7

Am I the only one completely annoyed when reality show contestants get sent home/voted off and they cry like it's a funeral and they will never see each other again? Felicia getting all snotty about her friend being sent home. So you would rather her win the money instead of you? And that husband crying like he was sending his wife off to war *atomic eye roll with a duck lip chaser*

And I don't want to sound mean or like I just stepped off the Victoria Secret runway but how long have these at home contestants been back in the real world? My favorite part of this show used to be sticking around for the at home transformation story but so far I have not been that impressed with anyone voted off the ranch.  

I agree!   They tape them at home long before they have reached finale weight.   I don't know the time frame but we see them thinner in the final show.  

So Dolvet came on too strong and that is why his team didn't do well?  Do I have that right?  He took responsibility so he must have felt he was partially to blame.  Odd knowing Jillian's style.  She was popular and got results.

Richard Hatch is up to something.  Eating 6 tacos and returning for a seventh before showing one of the highest weight losses on his team.  I am sure he binged watched this show to figure out a strategy.  Using water to control your loss and when to do that is key.  He may be privy to metabolic tricks which involves eating more calories on some days so your metabolism does not slow down too much is another one.  I feel confident he spoke with professionals on what to do to maximize his loss.  

I am tired of everyone being shocked at the low numbers the second week.  That ALWAYS happens!  Their metabolism slows dramatically as the body says, WTF are you doing?  I have to hold onto this fat because you may be marooned on an island.  

I missed Felicia's sass because it fell during one of my FF stints.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I thought the calorie counts on some of those dishes were suspect.  Especially the mac and cheese.  

That portion looked like about one cup of cooked pasta....okay i'll even go with 2 uncooked.      1/2 cup of uncooked is 210 calories.  At most that's 840 caloiries  (and pasta expands when cooked... But!  I'll go with it as 2 cups uncooked.     Cheese is 100 calories per ounce.  so is Butter.   So--there was 11+ ounces of cheese on that portion??   An entire BLOCK of Cracker Barrel cheese is only 8 0z.      

I know i''m being nerdy about this but...    Don't play with me!!  The true calorie count is bad enough.  

My Satellite went out for about 20 minutes (grrr)  so I missed the first weigh-in and the truck pull.   But I have no doubt that if Richard was slowing things down as mentioned up-thread, then there was strategy involved.   I'm sorry I missed it.  

I've mentioned before though that Richard has little chance of winning because the winners always lose more than half their body-weight.   I'm thinking maybe there's another money challenge or prize that Richard will grab (or get paid) and then he'll opt out.

• Love 3

I thought the calorie counts on some of those dishes were suspect.  Especially the mac and cheese.  

That portion looked like about one cup of cooked pasta....okay i'll even go with 2 uncooked.      1/2 cup of uncooked is 210 calories.  At most that's 840 caloiries  (and pasta expands when cooked... But!  I'll go with it as 2 cups uncooked.     Cheese is 100 calories per ounce.  so is Butter.   So--there was 11+ ounces of cheese on that portion??   An entire BLOCK of Cracker Barrel cheese is only 8 0z.      

I know i''m being nerdy about this but...    Don't play with me!!  The true calorie count is bad enough.  

My Satellite went out for about 20 minutes (grrr)  so I missed the first weigh-in and the truck pull.   But I have no doubt that if Richard was slowing things down as mentioned up-thread, then there was strategy involved.   I'm sorry I missed it.  

I've mentioned before though that Richard has little chance of winning because the winners always lose more than half their body-weight.   I'm thinking maybe there's another money challenge or prize that Richard will grab (or get paid) and then he'll opt out.

I watched the truck pull and did not get the impression that Richard slowed it down.  Why would he want his team to lose again?  It would not benefit him; it would harm him and make him vulnerable to being eliminated.   I know he is scheming but I see no point in losing the truck pull.  None.  Strategy in this competition is limited and not complicated.  

ETA.  Is Hatch trying to get the numbers on the red team down so they have to go to individuals quickly?  At this point a team is beneficial because if you have a bad week, your team may not.  

Edited by wings707

I just got this thought, "Hi, I am a Biggest Loser producer, do you mind if we feature your food truck/food court stand on our show so we can show our viewers what they SHOULDN'T be eating? Great, thanks a lot."

The mixed messages on this show are very frustrating.  You would think that the intended messages were (1) learning how to prepare healthy food is important, and (2) if you make bad choices (e.g., eating 7 tacos, or getting tacos with bacon (?), cheese and the works), it will show up on the scale.

However, the bottom line message really was that none of that mattered (so, thanks for nothing Lorena Garcia??), since Dolvett's team ended up winning the weigh-in (even with Jen's team having the last minute advantage).

• Love 3

The mixed messages on this show are very frustrating.  You would think that the intended messages were (1) learning how to prepare healthy food is important, and (2) if you make bad choices (e.g., eating 7 tacos, or getting tacos with bacon (?), cheese and the works), it will show up on the scale.

However, the bottom line message really was that none of that mattered (so, thanks for nothing Lorena Garcia??), since Dolvett's team ended up winning the weigh-in (even with Jen's team having the last minute advantage).

Not to mention that one of the key things in losing weight is abstaining from certain foods until you either no longer crave them, lose the taste for them or are able to eat them in moderation without triggering a binge. Yet on this show the crap food is always showing up as a punishment/part of a challenge, i.e.: "If you get this challenge wrong, you will have to eat this giant plate of penne with cheese." Etc. It's as if the producers *want* us to see how much they enjoy sabotaging the contestants.

• Love 6

I don't mind the crap food being part of challenge because it gives the contestants a choice: 1) whether or not to eat the crap food, or 2) if they have to eat it, examine their options for making the best food choice or just blindly revert to their old binge eating habits. They will have to make these types of decisions once they're off the Ranch anyway.

• Love 2

What a bunch of whiners. I don't know if I'm just a grumpy old pig or if this group is a bunch of boring bores, but no one is drawing me in. Hatch is Hatch. I know who he is & my dislike for him is still strong. The rest seem to blend together into criers, grunters, or crying grunters.

I agree that the calorie counts on the food court food seemed off. I have no doubt that stuff is calorie laden, but most of those portions seemed small for the calories listed. I measure & weigh food all the time so I'm not unaware. I felt like BL was screwing around yet again. Also, as someone who cannot eat wheat in any form I wondered what they do if anyone has a food allergy in these stupid food challenges.

Dr. Death looks unhealthy to me. When they revealed the trough of sugar & he flicked some on whoever he was berating I laughed out loud. Sugar! Sprinkles of death! Beware! Good grief. Moderation is the word dude. Say never & human nature kicks in & we obsess. Then Dr. Death & Bob made themselves gag by pouring fat in an aquarium. Fat! Liquid poison! Funeral tea! Holy crap. Fats, healthy fats, are satiating & provide steady energy. Teach them something useful instead of attempting to be the scare police.

I agree that Jen's black dress looked like low class hooker, but I'll add that most of her workout gear looks like it's from the 80% markdown rack at T.J. Maxx. And while I'm complaining, Dolvett really needs to stop buttoning up his shirts to the very top. It's not a good look.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 5

That b*tch who actually BLAMED Dolvett (and him taking full responsibility, for some reason) for the team's lack of enough weight loss and two people going home actually had me yelling at the tv!   I'm just a casual watcher now (I used to watch all the time with my mom when I lived in the same town as her), but I want to ask her what she thought was going to happen.  Why did she sign up for a show (that she's obviously never actually paid attention to) if she wasn't in it to win it no matter what?  I don't know why Dolvett took full responsibility (unless, for some unknown reason he actually believes it) other than to placate her, but it literally turned my stomach.  Every trainer on that show yells or speaks loudly either for the training sessions or a good part of them and I despise whining about things you have complete control over.  Her weight is her choice, her being on the show is her choice, and her bad attitude is her choice.  Nothing has changed in his training style as far as what they show on tv goes so if she wants to succeed, she needs to get her big girl panties on and stop poisoning the team.  If what he said (cause he still trains the same) helps everyone else, then I guess it's a good thing, but I'm over her.

Also, the lady who said she's only been there for a couple weeks so she doesn't have the tools to say no to things that are bad for her? What another load of nonsense.  Everybody there has the "tools" because it's not a tool she needs, she just needs to CHOOSE to say no and give that habit a chance to form.  Too many excuses....

I know I seem b*tchy, but good grief!  Anyone who's fat and knows it or who has made the hard changes themselves knows what to do, it's just a choice to not do it.  I've been on both sides so I'm not some size 2 girl who "doesn't understand" what being fat (at one point, morbidly obese as a matter-of-fact) is like and sometimes it just drives me nuts when people blame everything else other than themselves for their changeable situations in life.  

haha ok, I've vented and I hope I didn't offend anyone by sharing my thoughts. xoxo

have a great day and be well!

• Love 11

I know she went through some horrifying shit that no one should ever have to go through, but I am DONE with Toy. When she flippantly said something like "Derp dorp, I'm not ready to make smart choices!" before going down on those food truck tacos, I was, like, no. Willpower is not a prize you win, it's a daily struggle. She acted as if she hadn't "achieved" willpower, so she didn't need to bother trying. UGH, it really ground my gears. Ask the dozens of contestants who gained the weight back about how they "won" the magical gift of willpower.

I think Hatch is clearly going to be in the top 3. He's a big dude, but most of it is pretty solid.

• Love 3

I thought it was kind of interesting that Hatch defended the trainer to the rest of the group during their big sit-down. I think he said something like: "It's weird because you've won this show several times so you clearly know what you're doing." People focus on Hatch being manipulative (and a tax cheat) but they forget that his skills come with a large side of emotional intelligence. From a human standpoint, it's good to support someone who is clearly working hard to try to help you transform yourself. From a selfish standpoint, it's good to keep your trainer on this show motivated and liking you personally.

• Love 4

I agree that the calorie counts on the food court food seemed off. I have no doubt that stuff is calorie laden, but most of those portions seemed small for the calories listed.

I just don't see how a slice of mall pizza would have as many calories as half a pie from one of the chain stores (e.g. Papa John's or Dominos). Or how that portion of mac & cheese would have nearly as many as what you'd have after preparing two boxes of mac & cheese mix (in which you'd have dumped a quarter-pound of butter).

I don't know why Dolvett took full responsibility (unless, for some unknown reason he actually believes it) other than to placate her, but it literally turned my stomach.

I'd suggest that Dolvett bears some blame for choosing who is on his team, but I'm reminded that he didn't actually pick Felicia; he got stuck with her since Jen got last pick (having gotten to go first). Is that why she's acting like such a jerk?

The way Bob told everyone that he was going to show them how to make Jenny-O taste good came off as a subtle knock against the product (it doesn't taste good out of the package?).

Thank you! I normally don't mind the contestants, but man do I wish Felicia would fall below the yellow line so her whiny ass could get sent home.

His team really grated. They won two challenges and lost the weigh ins by a slim margin. It wasn't like they were blown out of the water. Thought it was over the top.

• Love 1

Dr. Death, in his element at last!!

How dare this goddam show have him back on after that nonsense with Charlie Sheen. How dare they. 

Even if this was filmed before that came out, they could have edited his disgusting ass out of the show.

Dr. H should have his medical license revoked for being associated with this joke of a show.

This show should be written some really strong letters/tweets for continuing to have this disgraceful quack on their show!

For those who don't recall, Dr. Death appeared with Sheen on The Today show and basically gave a nice paid bulwarking to Sheen's claims that he had so little of the HIV virus in his bloodstream that it was undetectable. While that may have been medically true, the implication was that Charlie continuing to stick his penis in various women was somehow okay.

This little whiny girl thinks she knows more than Dolvett?  Who's fit, and whose not?

Sorry, I can't get behind the bash Dolvett brigade.

I kept thinking of that "Bye Bye Felisha" saying people have and wondering if she went if someone would actually say it (doubly ironic given that the saying indicates scorn). Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

What gets me is that Dolvett and Jen have very similar styles.  Does she really think it would be hugs and bon bons on Jen's team?

). Or how that portion of mac & cheese would have nearly as many as what you'd have after preparing two boxes of mac & cheese mix (in which you'd have dumped a quarter-pound of butter).

Actually, it's a combination of factors. One being portion size. Very few restaurants serve just one cup of Mac n cheese. There are generally 2-4 servings on one plate.

The second being - recipe used. Here are calories in some popular Mac n cheese available:

These are one serving counts so multiply each by at least 4 for restaurant portions:

Kraft Mac n cheese (box, prepared as suggested without extras):. 259 cals or 1036 cals

But you have to consider most people try to spruce this up with extra cheese, more butter, milk, etc. 1 oz of cheese is roughly 110 cals so adding lots of it adds up quickly

Trader Joe's Mac n cheese:. 360 cals or 1440 cals

Homemade Mac n cheese based on Patti LaBelle's recipe (a popular recipe found online):. 632 cals or 2528 cals

While they showed possibly IMHO the nastiest looking Mac n cheese, the dish is never low cal and usually a caloric bomb. I prefer the homemade stuff but know I have to stick to small portions.

Given that on the earlier Today show interview, Huizenga pointed out, after Sheen said it was impossible for him to pass on HIV with an undetectable load, that although Sheen was was low risk, it was NOT impossible to pass on the virus, I don't have a problem with him continuing to appear on this show.  Yesterday he was apparently sitting in the audience of the Dr. Oz show, pushing Sheen to get back on his meds, (Sheen admitted on the Dr. Oz show Tuesday he stopped taking them in order to try some treatment he found in Mexico, and that is on him and only him..and now his viral load is detectable again)  Also, Dr. H is far from the only doctor who has said someone with an undetectable load is low risk. 

The tactics he uses to demonstrate obesity effects on the body to his contestants might be OTT, but I  do not find him unethical.

So I guess we agree to disagree.

Edited by newyawk

I feel terrible about this, but why are people cast on these shows who want to lose weight only to get pregnant and gain weight back?

Let's be honest, *most* of them will gain the weight back. The show has a shit record in that respect. If anything, of all the reasons people gain weight back after this show pregnancy seems like one of the more reasonable ones. Baby weight isn't just weight for weight's sake. I'm childless by choice, but I can still relate to a woman who is struggling with infertility or other health issues due to her weight wanting to be as healthy as possible before getting pregnant. I can also relate to going through your 20s not trying to get pregnant and not thinking about fertility only to find later that years of obesity have wrecked your hormones and you may not have time left or the ability to fix it. That was pretty much he plot of last season's (awful) My Big Fat Fabulous Life.

Now I could see if she lost the weight and wanted skin reduction knowing she might want to get pregnant. I always wonder about that with the younger ones.

• Love 1