Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Back to School

• Start Topic

That episode was probably the most enjoyable hour of television I've ever watch. Oh, and I want Grayson to do my hair.

Well it wasn't the "hairgate" episode. However we did get a hint as to what happened. Bill said that he would like Zoey to have a pixie. It makes sense that the short haircut is Bill's fault. Jen always has had the better taste between the two.

I posted back in August or September that I wondered if Will would be starting kindergarten on schedule. Jen said in this episode that he was starting kindergarten, so that question got answered. Good for Will!

Yep, the pixie is Bill's fault, but hair grows, so he's forgiven.
  • Love 6

"What is going on here?" HAH

Will might be the happiest kid I've ever seen. Like ever. I'm not a parent, but I think seeing your child happy must be one of the greatest feelings for a mom/dad.

The back and forth bw Will and Bill with the word 'millions' killed me. I was waiting for Will to say "Can I get the country of origin? Can you use it in a sentence?"

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 11

I didn't notice it as much in the birthday episode, but in this one, it seemed clear that both kids' speech is much improved. They hardly had to caption Will at all and I heard clear sentences. He does still have some issues and will occasionally parrot, especially Bill, but considering his health issues and the fact that he's only been speaking English for a couple of years, I thought he was doing pretty well. 

Anyway, this was a super cute episode overall.

• Love 8

Back to school time brings back memories.

I hate grocery shopping. I feel like I spent half my life in the grocery store.

But I enjoyed watching Bill and Will shopping. I think it's watching people of the male persuasion doing it is such a novelty that made it interesting. No big game food in the cart that I could see. Lol

They have such a good time as a family that it makes for a fun Tuesday night.

• Love 6

Seems like Bill's surgery was a success. It was nice to see him lifting Zoey.  Will still has his great laugh. In the previews, we saw Zoey swimming.  Bill and Jen seem to be doing a great job with those lucky kids.

• Love 6

That episode was probably the most enjoyable hour of television I've ever watch. Oh, and I want Grayson to do my hair.

Yep, the pixie is Bill's fault, but hair grows, so he's forgiven.

Bill & Jen "Live Tweet" on Twitter during the eps (basically, they watch the eps like everyone else, & comment on their Twitters about various things that are in the eps as they air). Bill took responsibility for Zoey's pixie cut during the show last night in the linked Tweet. He also said he's been getting comments (he used a different, but similar in meaning, phrase I don't remember now) on the cut.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReallyBillKlein/status/687103985967169536?p=v

• Love 2

Again Jen buying stupid overpriced things marketed to parents with income. I am talking about the idiotic massive Chore Chart thing with 100 pieces. Why not get a pencil and paper to track chores?  Oh yeah you can't buy that. That must have cost a fair bit and is HUGE and just more crap for the playroom.  She loves these stupid things! I just can't! I mean I wish I came up with it myself to sell to rich gullible people but that is another ball of wax.

Aside from every show them showing some other stupid wasteful thing that Jen bought for the kids, I do love the show and watching the kids develop. 

• Love 2

That was such a cute episode!

And it was so adorable how much Zoey loved her Mani and Pedi, I was super impressed with how well she sat there and how much she obviously loved it.  I can imagine it's hard to get more kids that age to sit still for something like that as even Jen wasn't sure if she would be ok with the entire duration but Zoey's expression was just so cute during the whole thing!

sometimes I watch these shows and wonder where my parents went wrong because I severely dislike raw veggies and growing up you probably couldn't get me to touch anything healthy-ish, including normal wheat bread.  I feel like my parents failed in teaching me healthy food habits lol (I do eat wheat bread now, and wheat pasta but still dislike raw veggies unless I have dip).  It was amazing for Will to pick out the multi-grain bread and fun to see him getting so excited for all his healthy lunch food.

• Love 7

I recognize the chore chart. It's Melissa and Doug brand, about $18 on Amazon. Not something I'd buy, but for a wealthy doctor who enjoys shopping, it's not going to break the bank. I also think Jen and Bill are still in that phase of being excited about buying kid stuff and overdoing it. Most parents who can afford it do it with their first kid in the first couple years then get over it with subsequent kids/when their kids are older.

I thought Will's grocery store behavior showed that they're doing a great job with him. He stayed with Bill, only picked up items that Bill said were okay for his school lunches, pushed the cart calmly, etc. I have two little boys that were not nearly that well behaved in grocery stores at that age.

Edited by truebluesmoky
  • Love 12

I recognize the chore chart. It's Melissa and Doug brand, about $18 on Amazon. Not something I'd buy, but for a wealthy doctor who enjoys shopping, it's not going to break the bank. I also think Jen and Bill are still in that phase of being excited about buying kid stuff and overdoing it. Most parents who can afford it so it with their first kid in the first couple years then get over it with subsequent kids/when their kids are older.

I thought Will's grocery store behavior showed that they're doing a great job with him. He stayed with Bill, only picked up items that Bill said were okay for his school lunches, pushed the cart calmly, etc. I have two little boys that were not nearly that well behaved in grocery stores at that age.

She bought 2 of them with shipping $40 down the toilet on crap. It's non-stop wasted money. 

• Love 3

She bought 2 of them with shipping $40 down the toilet on crap. It's non-stop wasted money.

Oh, Jen TOTALLY has Amazon Prime, so free shipping! Honestly, this is one of those "it's all relative" things... one person's waste of money is another person's joy. Yes, it's just stuff, but it's stuff that's making Jen happy after a life with more hardship than the average woman, including grueling cancer treatment right at the exact same time as her adopted daughter's difficult transition into the family. Some people buy fancy restaurant meals... some people buy designer handbags... I spend money on lunches out and endless e-books and audio books... my husband has an insane Lego collection... my best friend buys sunglasses with price tags that make me gasp... my mom buys ceramic gnomes on eBay. Everyone has their thing.

Same with the mani/pedi for her and Zoey. That was a delightful mother/daughter experience that she felt was worth whatever she paid for it. She sounded almost sheepish when she talked about Zoey being the only girl in preschool with a mani/pedi, not like she was bragging. I think on some level, she knows others would find it crazy, but it makes her happy in her hours off work and her newfound time with her children when not worrying about her disease. 

All of that stuff is also, in a weird way, an investment insofar as it's being used for an episode. "What can we do for an episode of our show?" "How about end of summer/going back to school - shopping trip for the boys, mani/pedi for the girls, haircuts, games and chore chart at home." 

Edited by truebluesmoky
  • Love 24

Bill and Jen worked their tails off to be successful.  I don't understand why people don't want them to have nice things.  I don't think they live/spend any differently than most upper middle class folks. They are not taking anything away from anyone else by living well.

• Love 24

Again Jen buying stupid overpriced things marketed to parents with income. I am talking about the idiotic massive Chore Chart thing with 100 pieces. Why not get a pencil and paper to track chores?  Oh yeah you can't buy that.

They probably got it for free in exchange for showing it on the show.

That said, they have money and don't appear to be spending money needed for necessities. I personally don't see the need for buying an overpriced luxary car but its not my problem if other people do.

• Love 5

Like another poster said everyone has their "things" that they spend money on. If they can afford it, more power to them.

I think my favorite segment was Will and Bill shopping. Those two can have fun doing anything. Both kids were very well behaved on their outings.

Can't wait for next week - I love it when they swim and I swear it has nothing to do with their instructor. Those two are becoming little fishes. I'm happy to see that Zoey looks to enjoy swimming now. Will at the firehouse looks like it will be a hoot as well - he loves to help and be involved.

• Love 7

This episode was adorable aside from the shameless product placement. If I'd made a drinking game out of "Balance Bike" I would've OD'd on alcohol last night.

My favorite part was Will and Bill in the grocery store. I'm not sure what their time frame was for filming, but Will's speech was greatly improved from even the season premier. I'm happy he was able to start kindergarten on schedule. I was wondering if maybe they'd keep him back a year, but he seems to be doing great.

• Love 1

I can't fault the buying the chore chart or the mani-pedi. Like we've all said, they can afford it. My family gasps at what I spend for audio books vs their $3.99 Kindle purchases. People who use the library would probably laugh at suckers buying $3.99 kindle books. I'm in my car a lot and also have the opportunity to listen at work so I use audible. It's all in what works for you and what you can afford.

Loved the grocery shopping and water fight. THIS was a nice episode. Not a manufactured vacation trip. Just daily life.

No more big birthday parties. I don't begrudge them, they just bore me. Small family party with a couple of playmates at home? Probably cute.

• Love 7

Will "helping" Bill push the grocery cart, "Don't crash."  

Because with Will, it's safety first. ; )    So damn cute. I have the biggest grin plastered on my face, when he's on my TV. 

• Love 6

Speaking of balance bike... I need to look into those and see what age they recommend.  I have a almost 11 year old nephew that refuses to ride a bike because he doesn't know how. 

I blame my parents for buying him a constant supply of those electric vehicles/cars. 

• Love 1

I know they can afford this stuff and they like it. I know Jen has had a hard life and works hard and can spend her money how she please. I  understand that they have plenty of money and can spend it to make themselves happy. It just makes me laugh when every episode we see another dumb thing that Jen bought that is really silly for the kids. It's wasteful that this stuff was even invented and this couple has ALL of it. It makes me shake my head! In fact now I even look for the dopey thing she spent money on that thousands of years of child raising people have done without. Like she had special hats made with names on it that you wear only when baking cookies. This stuff has a limited use yet Jen loves it, God bless her! I love that she is lining the pockets of the entrepreneurs who come up with these ideas! . And when you keep buying it, it winds up in the bottom of the toybox with 50 million other things you just "had to have"! I bet we see a big "The Klien -Arnold Garage sale"  or "the Kleins donate a dumpster full of material things to charity"episode soon when they realize their house is over-run with useless crap.  Every nonsensical unnecessary thing out there marketed for kids the Klein Arnolds own.   To each his own -but I get a real kick out of seeing what dumb extravagant item Jen has bought this week.

• Love 4

Every cynical bone in my body flew out the window with this episode! I thoroughly enjoyed them hanging around the house together, grocery shopping and having girl time. Houston in the summer is unbearable, so I get you, Jen! I would be in that pool pretty much all day every day in the summer if I lived there. 

Jen made it pretty clear that the mani pedi was a special treat for Zoey, she wanted to make starting school a big deal for her. It's not like they do it all the time. I can't believe they are being critisized  about their spending habits. These people have been through hell and back all of their lives. They could not conceive their own biological children. They feel lucky and honored to have Zoey and Will. They want to enjoy every, single moment of being parents. They have alot of DOUGH from years of hard work (and the show) so let them spend as they see fit. It's none of our business! 

• Love 23

I was intrigued by the balance bikes. Looking around online, I found at least one model that resembled the one that Will was using. These bikes are advertised for kids with and without disabilites to help them learn to balance themselves. No pedals, no chains or protrusions that could hurt the child. So it begged the question, how the heck does a kid stop?? It appears that there are hand brakes on at least some of the models. The only down side is that they can only really be used on hills which Bill made mention of. Not sure thats a great idea and it certainly would not permit a child to go on a regular bike ride but the idea of teaching a child like Will to learn how to balance is a good one. They sell for anywhere from $120 to $170 dollars.

I loved this episode and found myself enjoying it a lot more than last week's.  Will's excitement after Bill opened up the geode was so cute and his enthusiasm for pretty much everything and anything is contagious.  I wish I had that outlook on life!

I have noticed this before and don't recall if it is all the time but it cracks me up that Zoey often calls Will by his proper name "William."  I had two older brothers growing up and did the exact same thing.  To this day, I call them by their full names even though not many other people do!

Getting Zoey's nails done, the chore chart, etc. I have no problem with.  They have the money and I don't find any of it unusual.  More than 50% of the time when I go get my nails done, there is a little girl there between ages 4 and 7 doing the same.  If the Chore Chart works for them, then go with it. 

In both this episode and last week's episode, Bill reminds us how things are "normal."  I think this family is doing amazing (all of them) given the facts that they went overseas to adopt two toddlers who had multiple health issues, didn't speak english, etc., during the adoption of Zoey, Jen has to leave and later finds out she has cancer, Jen goes through chemo, Jen beats cancer, Bill has serious back surgery and has to go through rehab to rebuild his strength.  That is a lot for any family to deal with.  Yes, I can watch and nitpick things, Jen's laugh still drives me crazy, etc. However, compared to any other reality tv family, the Klein-Arnolds are the champs! 

• Love 16

I forgot to mention the conversation between Jen and Zoey during breakfast. I loved that Zoey made it clear that she DOES NOT want her bedroom door closed at night! She is one bright little girl, who I'm head over heels in love with. I think her blue/red kimono pajamas are precious on her, and Go, Will! for the 3-point score with the cupcake!

• Love 8

Operalover, I understand what you're saying. Just because Jen has the money to buy her kids every toy under the sun, doesn't mean she should. When you over indulge kids all the time they don't appreciate anything and get bored very quickly. Case in point, Zoe tossing Will's birthday present aside without a second glance. They need to find a happy medium between giving their kids the best in life and spoiling.

• Love 4

I do love these kids! It's clear that they are happy and well adjusted. Will is happy about everything! Buying baby carrots sent him over the edge of joy!

I love when he said something about not "messing up Mommy's table" with the rocks kit. Also saying that Zoe is too young! 

When you think of how Zoey screamed bloody murder the day they got her, she is a joy to behold!

• Love 6

Balance bike is an item not a brand although they could have not said it quite as much.  The camera did linger on the brand name of Will's bike.  They come in sizes so you get one appropriate to the kid's size.  I think two would be the youngest to put a kid on one.  Three is probably better. 

And the ratings: 1.730 M viewers and a .46 rating.  I'm bummed that Dance Moms with fewer viewers had the same rating.  Too many of us are grandmas or grandma age watching Will and Zoey. 

• Love 3

That's true. Plus Zoey is working to contribute to the household income.

If what she's doing is considered work...sign me up.   Roflmao.

Nothing is a waste if it can be afforded and brings happiness

• Love 9

Operalover, I understand what you're saying. Just because Jen has the money to buy her kids every toy under the sun, doesn't mean she should. When you over indulge kids all the time they don't appreciate anything and get bored very quickly. Case in point, Zoe tossing Will's birthday present aside without a second glance. They need to find a happy medium between giving their kids the best in life and spoiling.

She was a little tired and crabby when she opened Will's present.  On the re-watch last night, I noticed that the bear that Will gave her went with them to the tea party.  It was on the hood of the car when they were struggling with the balloons.

Doing things with your child one-on-one, like the mani-pedis shows your child that you value the time spent with them.  I'm sure Zoey hasn't a clue that it even costs any money, all she knows is that she spent that time with mommy.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 15

Oh, Jen TOTALLY has Amazon Prime, so free shipping! Honestly, this is one of those "it's all relative" things... one person's waste of money is another person's joy. Yes, it's just stuff, but it's stuff that's making Jen happy after a life with more hardship than the average woman, including grueling cancer treatment right at the exact same time as her adopted daughter's difficult transition into the family. Some people buy fancy restaurant meals... some people buy designer handbags... I spend money on lunches out and endless e-books and audio books... my husband has an insane Lego collection... my best friend buys sunglasses with price tags that make me gasp... my mom buys ceramic gnomes on eBay. Everyone has their thing.

Same with the mani/pedi for her and Zoey. That was a delightful mother/daughter experience that she felt was worth whatever she paid for it. She sounded almost sheepish when she talked about Zoey being the only girl in preschool with a mani/pedi, not like she was bragging. I think on some level, she knows others would find it crazy, but it makes her happy in her hours off work and her newfound time with her children when not worrying about her disease.

All of that stuff is also, in a weird way, an investment insofar as it's being used for an episode. "What can we do for an episode of our show?" "How about end of summer/going back to school - shopping trip for the boys, mani/pedi for the girls, haircuts, games and chore chart at home."

Even if Jen/the family doesn't have Amazon Prime (a paid membership thing that includes free 2-day shipping on all orders, among other things... explanation for anyone who doesn't buy from them), if she bought 2 of those Chore Charts--which I suppose she might/would, having 2 kids--& just bought those, at $18 apiece she'd still have gotten free shipping on the order if that's all she bought & she didn't choose to upgrade the shipping speed. Amazon has free shipping on orders over $35, & 2 of those Chore Charts would've just made that threshold, at $36 total.

• Love 2

Putting my 2 cents in about the mani/pedi, I have taken my daughter (as young as 2) to go get a pedi with me and if I'm getting one done they generally don't charge me for hers.  If that was a place Jen frequents often they could have done it for free.

• Love 5

I'm pretty much a charter member of Amazon Prime since I signed up practically the day they first offered it. I very rarely shop outside my home. Online is the cat's meow.

I kinda think that in their zeal to make sure Jen had as normal a life as possible, her parents pushed her a lot. I bet she was one of these kids who never really was a kid and was more adult at an early age. She doesn't know how to play. She seems actually uncomfortable when she should be having fun. Of course, some of that is her OCD when it come to cleaning and everything in its place. I won't even mention micromanaging. She's a planner and can't let anything just flow.

It all works out, tho. Bill more than makes up for it. They balance well.

I understand it somewhat because I'm a bit of a type A personality. I need a "Bill" in my life.

• Love 4

I kinda think that in their zeal to make sure Jen had as normal a life as possible, her parents pushed her a lot. I bet she was one of these kids who never really was a kid and was more adult at an early age. She doesn't know how to play. She seems actually uncomfortable when she should be having fun. Of course, some of that is her OCD when it come to cleaning and everything in its place. I won't even mention micromanaging. She's a planner and can't let anything just flow.

It all works out, tho. Bill more than makes up for it. They balance well.

I understand it somewhat because I'm a bit of a type A personality. I need a "Bill" in my life.

I thought the scene of Bill and Will doing the rock thing on the dining room table took a nosedive when Jen arrived with Zoey to do another activity.  Will immediately says to Bill something about making a mess at the table and they promptly moved outdoors!  I felt Jen's OCD tenseness and she didn't have to say a word and those boys knew!   And Jen trying to get Zoey to pick out a word that rhymes but gives her the answer right away and then squeals "good job!"  Jen is so competitive she even competes with herself to win!  

I absolutely saw Will's progress with his speech and sentences!  It is funny to watch Will and Zoey push each other's buttons to tick them off.  So typical and them being jealous of each other is becoming more apparent now that they are talking.  Will's elation at Jen and Zoey being dropped off at the spa was hilarious!!!  

Jen has certainly come a long way in her appearance since their first season or two.  She had frumpy hair, little makeup, plain clothes for the most part and now her eye makeup is heavy and includes false eyelashes which I found quite distracting in the TH's!

I like Grayson and if I lived in Houston I would seek him out!  He does a great job on all their hair especially Will's and that bob on Zoey was adorable.  So Bill is going to take the blame for Zoey's inevitable pixie!  PIXIEGATE

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

I adored every minute of this episode, but my TMJs are still aching from the non-stop smile plastered on my face while I was watching.  I actually do stretching exercises and massage on my jaws BEFORE I watch this show, because I know how it makes me suffer!  :-)

Everyone's already pointed out most of the highlights I enjoyed, but I'll add one more : I loved seeing Zoey be so affectionate with Maggie, and how casually she gave her a kiss on the head.

Oh, and how funny was Bill saying his kids are so photogenic - until you want to pose them for a picture!  hee

• Love 9

On Jen's Facebook page, she has posted a survey, if you want to take part, in naming their new "Rocky and Maggie" Franchise.  Maybe when this gets underway, there will be no need to do TLC anymore!

I have to admit that when they came up with the pet boutique idea I thought it was a vanity project or tv plotline. I'm happy to see it's a real business that's taken off.

• Love 1

I like Grayson and if I lived in Houston I would seek him out!  He does a great job on all their hair especially Will's and that bob on Zoey was adorable.  So Bill is going to take the blame for Zoey's inevitable pixie!  PIXIEGATE

I wouldn't say he is taking the blame, it was his idea. He obviously lost the back to school haircut round with Jen, Zoey got the bob, but he took the second or third round and she got the pixie. I know a ton of husbands who have very strong feelings on their wife's hair, but I guess I never thought about dad's really having strong feelings on daughters hair beyond saying they look cute or something. 

Zoey getting her mani/pedi was seriously adorable. She took it so seriously and you could tell she was very proud and felt very grown up. Her whispering killed me and it seemed like the nail tech too. I wasn't sure what was going on with the flower petals, Jen took those in with her. Will and Bill grocery shopping was a hoot. I will say, they were pretty well behaved in the grocery store together. I've seen way too many men basically tearing around the store with their sons being an example of what NOT to do in a store. Will is like my nephews were, they would ask for things like beets and roast beef way over cookies or junk food. 

• Love 1

sometimes I watch these shows and wonder where my parents went wrong because I severely dislike raw veggies and growing up you probably couldn't get me to touch anything healthy-ish, including normal wheat bread.  I feel like my parents failed in teaching me healthy food habits lol (I do eat wheat bread now, and wheat pasta but still dislike raw veggies unless I have dip).  It was amazing for Will to pick out the multi-grain bread and fun to see him getting so excited for all his healthy lunch food.

Where your parents went "wrong" was always providing you with plentiful amounts of food.  Both Zoey and Will experienced food deprivation and malnutrition in their young lives.  In Will's orphanage you eat what is served or you don't eat.  Zoey was clearly under weight at adoption, so she wasn't provided with enough food in her foster home.  I remember this topic came up last season when Will asked for seconds on broccoli.  I would be shocked if either child was a picky eater, and luckily Jen and Bill provide them with healthy options. 

• Love 2

Pics of her after she lost her hair show she still had her eyebrows and lashes.

When you have chemo, hair loss is immediate. You lose your eyelashes and eyebrows typically towards the end of or even after the end of treatment. Furthermore, even after they grow in, You can lose them again several more times due to the cyclical growth pattern of lashes and brows. Some people have that happen for up to a year afterwards. It's entirely possible for Jen to still be experiences loss of eyelashes, especially as she had quite harsh chemo.

• Love 6