Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E14: Lie, Cheat, And Steal / S31.E15: Live Reunion

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Sorry if this has all been gone over before but after watching Wentworth's Ponderosa, she definitely would have won if she had gotten to final three.  And she deserved it....more than Jeremy.  She really had to play the game.  Those are the players I like.  I may not have liked them all that much in the beginning or even the middle but the players who have to scrape and put it all out to survive will get my vote for the most part.

I also prefer players that have to fight for it more, because they are more interesting to watch, but I don't think that necessarily makes them a better player. One could argue that a really great player never lets themselves become the underdog.  A really great player finds a way to prevent situations where they would have to scrape and scramble.  

Was Jeremy this really great player? I don't know.  From what we have seen, he deflected attention from himself, making sure there was always someone around and he subtly convinced people not to vote off those who were shielding him.  But I don't know how difficult this was with this group. Plus, there is a lot we don't see.  I never watch the extra scenes, so I am only seeing about 40 minutes of film taken over three days, with multiple people and conversations - and that 40 minutes includes TC and challenges and footage of rats and snakes and creatures I have never seen before.  

There is no one way to succeed in Survivor. Jeremy's game/strategy worked this time, but it probably would have failed in other seasons. There is a huge element of luck - mostly in the luck of who you end up with.  If you start off on a tribe where the strongest physical player gets sick and leaves early and your tribe keeps losing challenges, you will go into the merge with low numbers and you will likely have to scrape and scramble.  If you end up on a tribe with an Abi or a Sugar or a Kass, each with a different way to create chaos, you might not have the control you need to play the game you intend to, you may have to think on your feet more.  You might be a strategic genius, but could end up playing with someone who is as much of a strategic genius, but their strategy conflict with yours.  

To me, the really great players are the ones who can adjust their strategy to fit the situation they are in.  You have to be able to make the most of the hand you are dealt.  I will never think of Russell as a great player, because he used basically the same strategy every time (and it never worked for him).  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 4

A threat to go to the rocks is nothing even close to bullying. He was warning her of the consequences of voting for Jeremy instead of Wentworth. He was letting her know that her blindside scheme would not succeed and if she went through with it, she, Tasha and Keith would be drawing rocks.

He was using the rules of the game and the leverage his alliance had to try to get his way, just like Kimmi was doing by trying to blindside Jeremy.

She ignored the warning and ended up voting herself out.

If he had physically threatened her, called her names, or yelled "You better vote with us or else!" that would be bullying.

By your definition of "bullying" nearly every castaway bullies and gets bullied as most at some point are pushed into voting in a way they would prefer not to, to maintain their place in the game.

I think we're getting a bit OT here but please don't generalize my statement when I'm talking about a specific situation. Spencer WAS telling people they better vote his way, Spencer had immunity and was definitely in a position of power at that point so they weren't on equal footing at all. We didn't see everything that happened and what we did see was pretty ugly. We don't know everything that happened so if she felt that way then it's her right and I won't try to diminish her feelings on that. I don't even like Kimmi and I was pretty neutral on Spencer until the last few episodes. I'm not saying Spencer's a bad person, he took things too far which he himself has admitted in post interviews. If you want to continue this discussion feel free to PM me.

I think Tasha could have won if the final 3 had been her, Kass and Abi. Same with Spencer.

• Love 2

I didn't see bullying or ugliness or Spencer telling anyone "you better vote this way".  Maybe I missed that last thing.  He matter-of-factly told Kelley he and Jeremy refused to vote out Tasha.  Is that the "you better vote" comment?  

I'm a little tired of allegations of bullying, racism and misogyny.  I think it's rare that we see any of these on Survivor, if ever.  

I didn't see bullying or ugliness or Spencer telling anyone "you better vote this way".  Maybe I missed that last thing.  He matter-of-factly told Kelley he and Jeremy refused to vote out Tasha.  Is that the "you better vote" comment?  

No I think it was the first one. When the idols weren't played yet. He was saying, "We are voting three strong tonight, and either you vote with us, or we go to rocks." Which is arrogant, IMO. Obviously, he's not going to rocks. So he can say that with all bravado that he has, he doesn't have to go through with it. I'm glad Keith called him out on it - another point against him on the jury. Then when Kimmi said, "I don't want to be a pawn", he said "Then you vote with us." Um, isn't that the very definition of being a pawn?

Beat your chest and go to rocks when YOU are doing it, not under the safety of immunity. Just like Ciera did. That's where mostly the arrogance is coming from, at least, IMO. If he didn't have that immunity necklace, I don't think he would be yapping as much as he did during that tribal.

• Love 2
Spencer WAS telling people they better vote his way, Spencer had immunity and was definitely in a position of power at that point so they weren't on equal footing at all.

Spencer fucked up at every stage of that F6 TC.

Stage 1 is when Jeff tries to suss out the pecking order in a F4 alliance, which is fairly significant when you're at F6.  This always gives the people on the outs the opportunity to make a pitch to the person whom they think is #4.  

Spencer stupidly took the bait, IMO out of arrogance, and told Kimmi (in so many words) "you're damn' right you're #4!!!!  

Then, when Kimmi responds they only way you'd expect someone whom you've just told is at the bottom of your alliance to respond, by defecting and trying to save herself, Spencer went on his "You see, I TOLD YOU she was disloyal!!!" jag.  That's a total misplay in front of the jury.

Finally, after the Tasha/Kimmi tie, instead of trying to convince Kelly to let Keith (who was definitely a bigger F4 IC threat, and probably a bigger FTC threat) be eliminated (by refusing to change her Tasha vote), Spencer got cocky again and basically tried to force Kelly to vote out Kimmi by saying "We're not switching votes (because apparently Spencer thinks he can speak for Jeremy) so if you want to save your buddy Keith you'd better switch and vote out Kimmi"

So, without getting into semantics, Spencer took the entirely wrong approach every single time he opened his mouth at that F6 TC.

• Love 9

I think we're getting a bit OT here but please don't generalize my statement when I'm talking about a specific situation. Spencer WAS telling people they better vote his way, Spencer had immunity and was definitely in a position of power at that point so they weren't on equal footing at all. We didn't see everything that happened and what we did see was pretty ugly. We don't know everything that happened so if she felt that way then it's her right and I won't try to diminish her feelings on that. I don't even like Kimmi and I was pretty neutral on Spencer until the last few episodes. I'm not saying Spencer's a bad person, he took things too far which he himself has admitted in post interviews. If you want to continue this discussion feel free to PM me.

I think Tasha could have won if the final 3 had been her, Kass and Abi. Same with Spencer.

I totally disagree with your premise that using a position of power in a game to try to get players to vote your way is "bullying".

• Love 4
While I agree with you [about Jeremy's outburst at Kimmi], put a camera in anyone's face 24/7 for over a month they won't always shine; no matter how much that moment may be uncharacteristic of them as a person as a whole... and this seemed to be the exception of Jeremy's behavior, he didn't deal with being hurt/betrayed my Kimmi very well, admittedly. Doesn't make him unworthy of being the winner.

I agree with all of this.  I think Jeremy is a kind person, and deserved his win, and I'm not upset about it, though personally I was rooting for Kelley or Spencer (but agree he blew it spectacularly).  I do think Jeremy was acting out of being hurt.  But I also have a hot-button reaction to shaming behavior.  Someone upthread said it was like him being a geeky dad.  But he's not Kimmi's dad, he's her alliance partner (not final 3, but alliance) and equal.  I don't like the words he picked--"shame on you," "so disappointed..." one tiny little bit.  I think it was wrong.  I'm willing to look at his overall behavior and find it an aberration, and who knows what I would say in those harsh conditions (Oh, I know, I'd just be sobbing to beat even Stephen), but I sure wish he had said then "Wow, Kimmi, that hurts.  I believed in you" rather than "shame on you." 

ETA:  Ciera was right about Jeremy winning.  She told them so!

Edited by Jobiska
  • Love 4

Spencer fucked up at every stage of that F6 TC.

Stage 1 is when Jeff tries to suss out the pecking order in a F4 alliance, which is fairly significant when you're at F6. This always gives the people on the outs the opportunity to make a pitch to the person whom they think is #4.

Spencer stupidly took the bait, IMO out of arrogance, and told Kimmi (in so many words) "you're damn' right you're #4!!!!

Then, when Kimmi responds they only way you'd expect someone whom you've just told is at the bottom of your alliance to respond, by defecting and trying to save herself, Spencer went on his "You see, I TOLD YOU she was disloyal!!!" jag. That's a total misplay in front of the jury.

Finally, after the Tasha/Kimmi tie, instead of trying to convince Kelly to let Keith (who was definitely a bigger F4 IC threat, and probably a bigger FTC threat) be eliminated (by refusing to change her Tasha vote), Spencer got cocky again and basically tried to force Kelly to vote out Kimmi by saying "We're not switching votes (because apparently Spencer thinks he can speak for Jeremy) so if you want to save your buddy Keith you'd better switch and vote out Kimmi"

So, without getting into semantics, Spencer took the entirely wrong approach every single time he opened his mouth at that F6 TC.

I disagree with much of your analysis.

Spencer didn't force Kimmi to be disloyal, she had already made that choice and it was obvious to those who were paying attention (that is everyone but Jeremy).

First she asked Keith to get water with her, in a transparent attempt to talk with him about flipping. Then she openly hung out with Wentworth.

She also pushed the vote splitting idea in a way that made it was obvious she was up to something. She should have waited for someone else to suggest it or said, "You don't think Kelley has an idol, do you? Should would split votes just to be safe?"

I also think he was speaking for Jeremy and Tasha when he said they were not vote splitting.

On the revote, I think Jeremy, who was pissed at Kimmi, not Spencer was the driving force behind voting her out instead of Keith.

• Love 1

I disagree with much of your analysis.

Spencer didn't force Kimmi to be disloyal, she had already made that choice and it was obvious to those who were paying attention (that is everyone but Jeremy).

I agree that Kimmi had already made that decision, and that Spencer was correct to figure that out.  As I said above, I think Jeremy probably had figured it out as well, but kept his cards close to his vest.

My problem with Spencer is that his outburst about not splitting the votes gave Kimmi the explicit justification for her decision.  

I also think he was speaking for Jeremy and Tasha when he said they were not vote splitting.

I agree.  The difference between players like Jeremy and Tasha and players like Spencer is that they're smart enough to keep their mouths shut.

On the revote, I think Jeremy, who was pissed at Kimmi, not Spencer was the driving force behind voting her out instead of Keith.

I agree that on first revote Jeremy was fine voting against Kimmi.  But I also think that part of that was being stoked up by Spencer's "I told you so, I told you so" goading.  IIRC though, after the Tasha/Kimmi tie, when Jeff was asking whether there would be consensus, Jeremy just sort of calmly said "I'm not switching to vote against Tasha", while Spencer said the same thing which much more histrionics.  Both of them fucked up by not pushing Kelly to stand pat and let Keith be eliminated.  But IMO Spencer's approach was more actively pushing Kelly towards switching and voting out Kimmi in order to protect Keith.

• Love 3

I would add that even though Spencer didn't know Jeremy had a HII, he still had no reason to behave like he did at the F6 TC.

The vote-split plan was for the guys to vote against Kelly and the women to vote against Keith.  So if Jeremy/Spencer/Tasha abandon that plane there are two possibilities:

1) Kimmi sticks with the plan, and the vote goes: Kelly 3; Jeremy 2; Keith 1.  From Spencer's perspective, he eliminates a FTC threat (Kelly), and Tasha takes the hit for defecting from the vote-split plan (because Tasha would be the one who provided the 3rd vote for Kelly); or

2) Kimmi defects, and the vote ties: Kelly 3, Jeremy 3.  From Spencer's perspective, there's minimal risk, because Kimmi has a huge incentive to flip back at that point.  Three people would be drawing rocks (Kimmi, Keith, Tasha) because, as I understand it, the players with the tied votes get immunity, and Spencer keeps his IC immunity.  Two-Thirds of those possible rock-draw outcomes hurt Kimmi by either eliminating her or leaving her on the wrong side a 3-2 split going into the next TC.  

• Love 1
But I guess they thought the extensive footage of Spencer's growth spurt and Stephen crying about the golden boy was better viewing than the guy who would actually end up winning.

LadyChatts, I always love your way with words.

I'm sorry but I don't think Jeremy showed anywhere in the game he was a threat. He found two idols, that's right. THIS makes him a threat. He never won a challenge for himself other than the last one which, as someone else said, was based on luck more than anything else. Spencer at least made it to the end 1. being the underdog for half of the game and strategizing like hell to remain in the game, 2. without using any idols, this makes him superior than Jeremy, 3. predicting Kimmi's flip, something that Jeremy was sure was not gonna happen, 4. not using his wife's pregnancy to get the sympathy vote.

Jeremy was never a real threat other than his idols. - himela

You seem to be interpreting my original use of the word "threat" to be Immunity Challenge threat.  Sure, I can tackle that.  I think Jeremy fucked around and threw some early challenges at the last minute.  When Joe's domination seemed to become almost inhuman and Jeremy and his allies seemed to be in actual danger, Jeremy really did give it his all.  But his sandbagging early challenges and pretending to not be upset every single time Joe beat them (his lack of emotion throughout the entire game was part of his game) is all part of downplaying a perceived threat (I don't think we need to care about any ACTUAL threats he presents.)  All Jeremy cares about is downplaying perceived threats.  I'm not that universally adored life-risking firefighter you want to remove from the game.  I'm not an extremely likeable, affable, trustworthy guy you want to remove from the game.  I'm not a social threat.  Also, I couldn't care less if I win a challenge or not.  I'm not good at this fucking game anyway.  You don't need to remove me.  Basically Jeremy played the opposite game of Joe.  For those Joe defenders who cry, But Joe can only be Joe!  That frustrates the hell out of me.  Joe could have totally been a different player.  But he was so frustratingly the same damn one he was last time.

How is the ball challenge based on LUCK?  That baffles me. There was actual skill involved!  Multitasking is a skill every single employer demands in a job description.  You had to be smart enough to set the right timing so that it gave you long enough intervals to catch all of the balls.  You had to be observant enough to figure out when each ball was going to drop.  You had to pay attention to multiple different things moving in opposite angles.  You had to focus on all at the same time.  That was the entire challenge!

I have a cousin who once told me "There is no such thing as luck."  Luck is almost a supernatural belief, I get that.  Yes, there is randomness in life and many people including myself see luck at play.  Some don't want to give credit to Kelley for getting one of the idols because she randomly drew it at a challenge.  But she was observant enough to take herself out of the challenge and concentrate on that idol.  I'd argue less observant players might not even realize what was happening.  Would Abi?  I never saw Abi focus on anything when it came to the challenges.  She didn't even realize when she beat Kimmie in the mud one.  She had to be told to go back to finish.  (Editors aren't going to show the other players having dozens of missed opportunities with overlooking or not finding idols; not interesting enough.)  And Kelley kept her idols a secret through the entire game as Jeremy did.  So many players did not (often successfully, like Yul.)  But Jeremy and Kelley's game was to keep everything about themselves a secret, to mostly their success.  Imagine being out there for 39 days talking strategy to Super Nerds like Spencer and Fishbach and never once letting onto these brainiacs that you have an idol.  That takes major dedication.  Spencer and Fishbach not only completely trusted Jeremy 100%, never targeted him, never conspired against him.  Not only that but they didn't even see him as a person who could ever, ever beat them in the game.  (Maybe Fishbach did, I don't know.  But if you see his Joe Obsession, probably not.)   Those nerds obviously thought "Oh Jeremy and Kelley.  They would never have an idol.  Don't worry about it."

That is what I mean when I say threat.  A threat to win the game period.  How many games have we seen where you can win all the ICs that you want but you won't win?  Joe, Ozzy, Wiglesworth, Tasha in Cagayan.  Winning all the ICs and being the buffest shield is not the name of the game.  

Spencer strategized, but Jeremy didn't?  No.  I argue that Jeremy did as well.

Spencer had no idols, so he's a superior player to Jeremy?  No.  I argue that Jeremy and Kelley are superior players to Spencer.  Even Fishbach beat out Spencer once by gaining that advantage by having the gut instinct to grab it a split second before Spencer did.  Idols and advantages are part of this game.  Finding and getting idols are part of that too.  I only know baseball, so it's like being a home run hitter.  If you're able to hit a home run, you have an immediate advantage in the game.   If you're able to steal a base, you have an immediate advantage in the game.  Players who are able to use advantages BUILT IN to the game they're playing to their success are superior players than the players who simply cannot.

Spencer predicted Kimmie's flip.  Great!  In the end, it didn't matter.  Jeremy wrongly trusted Kimmie but he used his advantage - his idol - to stay in the game anyway.  

Spencer didn't use his wife's pregnancy .  Yes... you're right about that.  Again, this is an advantage that Jeremy himself admitted he used to further himself in the game.  He was going to win anyway, but he wanted to be sure.  And he did.

When you admit yourself you need someone as a shield, this makes you instantly a weak player and a goat. People used to hate goats till this jury, not they rewarded one

You use the goats as the shields, that's why they're goats......  They don't know that they're being used and they don't win this game.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

A threat to go to the rocks is nothing even close to bullying. He was warning her of the consequences of voting for Jeremy instead of Wentworth. He was letting her know that her blindside scheme would not succeed and if she went through with it, she, Tasha and Keith would be drawing rocks.

He was using the rules of the game and the leverage his alliance had to try to get his way, just like Kimmi was doing by trying to blindside Jeremy.

She ignored the warning and ended up voting herself out.

If he had physically threatened her, called her names, or yelled "You better vote with us or else!" that would be bullying.

By your definition of "bullying" nearly every castaway bullies and gets bullied as most at some point are pushed into voting in a way they would prefer not to, to maintain their place in the game.

So that "we are voting three strong" is what upset Kimmi so much, that she said she would use as an example to her children of how not to behave?  I didn't see anything wrong with what he was saying.  He was basically saying, "you told us to split votes, but we know what you are trying to do, you are pretending to be with us to get us to split the vote and then the three of you will all vote out Jeremy".  He called her out on her plan.  I guess that's what she considers to be bullying?  I don't see what was so wrong with it.  He was taking charge and telling people exactly what his alliance was doing.  It's no different than the time that Tony Vlachos wore an idol to TC.

• Love 5

Yeah, he actually confirms it in one of his interviews (CarterMatt, I think? But they're all blurring together). He said he, Spencer, and Tasha locked in F3 at the family visit, and that he made Spencer his new Stephen after the Stephen boot. So Kimmi read the situation absolutely correctly, and she was right to make a move. I think Jeremy reacted so strongly because he'd been outplayed (sort of), and in the heat of the moment, couldn't be rational about the fact that he really had turned on Kimmi first.

I like Jeremy, but I think that's some revisionist history on his part. Of course he's saying that now because that's how the F3 ended up, but that time of the game is when you make F3 deals with anyone you're stuck in a trio with. He called the reward challenge Kelley's biggest mistake, but Kelley said that at that point in time she still trusted Spencer and so she left him there with them. If Kelley had left Kimmi instead, I'm sure Jeremy/Tasha/Kimmi would have been making F3 deals being left alone at camp. Much like how Keith/Wentworth/Spencer made a F3 deal back at reward. Spencer said it's that time of the game to be making F3 deals but that doesn't mean it holds true. He also said at one of his THs that he's still not sure he wants to lock in with Jeremy and Tasha for F3.

Maybe it's also revisionist history on Spencer's part, but he said had he won final IC he would not have taken Jeremy to F3, and would have taken his chances against Wentworth. But I believe that he would have actually done that if only based on his outburst at Woo during Cagayan.

• Love 1

Not true at all. Kimmi would have beat Spencer and Tasha in the FTC. She might have been able to beat Keith if he was in there. She would however definitely lose to Jeremy or Kelley.

I don't see how Kimmi could have beaten either of them....especially not Spencer...take Jeremy out of that final tribal and substitute him with Kimmie and there is no way. She was invisiable for 90% of the game and when she finally made a move it exploded in her face.

• Love 4

I don't see how Kimmi could have beaten either of them....especially not Spencer...take Jeremy out of that final tribal and substitute him with Kimmie and there is no way. She was invisiable for 90% of the game and when she finally made a move it exploded in her face.

Well if she is sitting in a F3 with Spencer and Tasha that means her move didn't explode in her face. It means it succeeded. If you haven't been paying attention that jury didn't care for Spencer or Tasha too much at all while everybody on the jury loved Kimmi. Just because she is "invisible" to us doesn't mean she was invisible to the people on the island. And had she indeed gone to the F3 and won she wouldn't have been invisible to us at all as the editors would have shown us why she won.

• Love 9

Well if she is sitting in a F3 with Spencer and Tasha that means her move didn't explode in her face. It means it succeeded. If you haven't been paying attention that jury didn't care for Spencer or Tasha too much at all while everybody on the jury loved Kimmi. Just because she is "invisible" to us doesn't mean she was invisible to the people on the island. And had she indeed gone to the F3 and won she wouldn't have been invisible to us at all as the editors would have shown us why she won.

And don't forget about the financial aspect too. Savage has said that Kimmi is not financially stable, and Keith also alluded to it during that crazy tribal. I know in theory the jury shouldn't consider financial situations when awarding a winner, but like Stephen said, it does happen, and that's just part of people voting for others to win 1M. So as Jeremy does have a good sob story, so does Kimmi. She could very well have won if she sat with a combination of right people, maybe like Abi and Tasha.

• Love 2

Kimmi vs Spencer and Tasha would have been interesting. I think Kimmi would have ended up with Abi, Kass, Kelley, Ciera, and Kelly Wigglesworths vote. Kelly and Kimmi had a massive hug at Ponderosa. They were pretty close out there. I think Stephen votes Kimmi. I think Spencer's targeting him was personal and hurt Stephen and that he would respect Kimmi's move to take out Jeremy.

Tasha might have gotten a vote from Andrew.

Spencer might have gotten Jeremy and Keith's vote.

I am not sure about Joe.

All the final interviews point to Spencer and Tasha playing a poor social game. Tasha ignored or was mean to anyone not in her alliance. Spencer betrayed a lot of folks. He succeeded in getting to know folks but it sounds like a Dawn type of situation. He got to know them well enough that when he voted them out it felt like a massive personal betrayal. Kimmi seems like she got along fine with most people and would have had a huge move if she had taken out Jeremy. I think she could have argues that she learned that she needed to temper her words and behavior, which she did. She helped her alliance make good decisions and then voted out the most dangerous player in the game when she had a chance. Toss in her sick child and she is the winner.

I don't think the level of vitirol directed at Tasha can be easily blown off as people who are jealous of how far she got. That is the same BS that Russell likes to pull. Hell, it is the same BS that we heard from Abi. People did not like Tasha because of how she treated them and her overall behavior in the game. It cost her the game. She can say what she wants, so can Russell and Abi, but when you treat people poorly, you lose. You can make it to the end with crappy behavior but you are not likely to win.

I have been a bit surprised by what people said about Spencer but it sounds like he did make good connections but he let it feel to personal and he hurt peoples feelings when he voted them out. You can hear it in the exchanges between he and Stephen and in what he has said about Kelley Wentworth. In the word association game with Gordon Hokmes, Spencer uses betrayed for Kelley, in that he betrayed her and their relationship. He knows he hurt her.

• Love 5

And don't forget about the financial aspect too. Savage has said that Kimmi is not financially stable, and Keith also alluded to it during that crazy tribal. I know in theory the jury shouldn't consider financial situations when awarding a winner, but like Stephen said, it does happen, and that's just part of people voting for others to win 1M. So as Jeremy does have a good sob story, so does Kimmi. She could very well have won if she sat with a combination of right people, maybe like Abi and Tasha.

In Wiglesworth's "the jury speaks" clip, she stated that judging who needed the money/what they'll do with it was a big criteria for her. She and Kimmi were close too, so I think she had Wigles' vote on that basis. 

Plus, a single mom with 2 kids with health problems is a fairly compelling story. I'm not sure if she could have beat Jeremy, but I also don't think he gets the clean sweep in that scenario. 

Just watched the whole reunion again (wasn't paying strict attention when it aired) and as always, a disappointing, awkwardly paced show. 

The Joe segment was way, way too long and unnecessary and Joe himself didn't look terribly thrilled with it. Good to see a woman (Wentworth) get a hero montage though, that happens...almost never. 

• Love 2

Part I:

Wow, what a rookie mistake Kimmi made telegraphing her plan to Spencer and Tasha. And Wentworth really fucked her over by getting up and following.

Jeremy also showed how dense he was.  It was ironic that Wentworth DID have an Idol (making Jeremy right and Spencer wrong) but at the same time Jeremy was the one more SERIOUSLY wrong because he got taken in by Kimmi.  But then Kimmi being the wrongest of all, because her plan failed based on her overblown opinion of how well she could hide it.

But then... Tasha and then Spencer made the biggest (and most ego driven) mistake of all. Outing their plans in tribal. Just because Probst asks you a leading question doesn't mean you answer honestly, Tasha.  Tipping off  Wentworth.  Interesting how that all played out. A series of mistakes by all of them making the situation bounce around like crazy.

Wentworth, despite her silly mistake following Kimmi and Keith, more than made up for it in how cool she played it in tribal. Balls of steel she has--not showing her cards at ALL.  The look on Spencer's face was priceless.  Then Jeremy pulls HIS Idol?  Heh.  Leading to something they must have always had a rule for but never used. I wonder if Jeff even remembered the rule of if someone on the side was prompting him. Then ANOTHER tie and a need for a unanimity or Keith goes by default?  Damn that was nuts. Keith falling on his sword was only because he knew he was going anyway. And so Kimmi goes instead when Wentworth throws her under the bus? Damn Wentworth is cold! Gloriously, IMO.

Lord. On reflection. I don't know who the heck to cheer or pillory in that mess. I'm still leaning towards Wentworth, even though she played all her cards here.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I do wonder if Kelley thought at all if Jeremy had an idol at F6 and if that was the case throwing vote Tasha's way knowing that all votes cast against her and Jeremy would be nullified and Tasha sent home on one vote. Then again, the plan was for Jeremy, Spencer, Tasha and Kimmi to split the vote in which case Keith goes home. I can't imagine trying to work through all the scenarios at that point in the game out there.

That scene with Spencer and Jeremy discussing Kimmi was hilarious.

Jeremy was so clueless and Spencer so right about Kimmi flipping.

Spencer was so wrong and Jeremy so right about the possibility of Wentworth having an idol.

But, what topped it off was Spencer saying that the fact that Kelley had found an idol earlier was a stupid reason to think she found a second idol. He then said that he didn't think Jeremy had a second because he found the first. All while Jeremy sits there with a straight face and an idol in his pocket.

• Love 6

That's true.... it was Kelley who kind of strong-armed the situation into Kimmie going home.  She intervened and put her foot down to save Keith.   Yet Kimmie is so mad that Spencer bullied her.   I didn't see any bullying, but to be honest, I don't fully understood what happened and it's going to take a lot of reading and diagrams for me to really get it.  Spencer was speaking in tongues for all I knew.

It was actually Tasha who knew that Kimmie flipped.  Spencer then took Tasha's word.  It wasn't Spencer who figured it out.

Spencer seems kind of dense about how idols work.  His logic is that if you played 1 idol very early on, you can't have a second one.  Hm...... it's the opposite in reality.  (Not that I'm claiming I would see all of this out there.  I guess people tend to believe what they see.)  In all of his seasons the only experience I remember having Spencer idol experience is when Woo stole his clue.  Bahahaha

J:  I think Kelley has an idol.

S:  No, she already played one.

J:  Right.

S:  That's a (crazy?) reason to think she could have another one.  Like, you played an idol.

J:  Right.

S:  And I don't think you have a second one.

J:  ......

Another good reason to suspect that J&K have more idols is that they kept the first ones completely secret, too!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I know a lot of people don't like a bitter jury, but I missed the fireworks that usually comes with FTC. Kass disappointed me hugely, I was expecting we'd get some fireworks from the so-called Queen of Ponderosa. I really thought she would lay it into Tasha but I guess Kass figured she wasn't worth the energy.

I miss the caliber of Reed's wicked mother speech, or Brenda's teethgate. I want some WTF questions. It's reality TV!!! The only one closest to it was Wiggles, of all people.

• Love 3

Ciera did, repeatedly. Even once at tribal council. Whether or not he could win immunity  challenges  doesn't affect his standing as head of the alliance. People came to him for decisions/ when they were the in trouble, because he was the head.

I never noticed that he was some kind of chief there. The image I have from him is looking at his shoes while others decide how to vote. And I want to argue that Jeremy was on purpose throwing the challenges. When this happens, people admit that in their confessionals. I believe that Jeremy really could not win any immunity challenge.

Jeremy lacks brains balance and strength now? Ok, now you're just making shit up to hate on Jeremy because that's a ridiculous statement.

I don't hate Jeremy, I respect him as a person and I love how he loves his wife and kids. BUT he didn't win any immunity that requires brains lack and strength did he? Then he does lack them or at least he is not that good at these skills I guess.

Who was Kimmi hiding behind? Because according to you Jeremy was a goat so if she's hiding behind a goat then she's using a really stupid strategy.  I guess you're just ignoring the fact that she wasn't responsible for most of the decisions at camp and basically started playing the game on day 30.

Kimmi was hiding behind her alliance, as did Tasha, as did Jeremy. Spencer at least had to do some serious scrambling to stay in the game pre merge while Jeremy had not even gone to a tribal council yet, because of Joe extraordinary skills in immunity challenges. Spencer HAD to vote differently each tribal council because he was never safe, he was by himself for a long time and he managed to hang on until he found a solid alliance who were always safe (Tasha was not safe in Angkor and I give her that). For me a strategist is a more worthy winner than one who just goes with the flow, maybe this is the part we disagree. Someone may say, if he won he must have done some things right. In my opinion I want to see strategies, brains working, decisions made and then changed until the right one is made, all possibilities being taken into account to say that someone is a worthy winner. I hated seasons with winners who were just floaters (BB term) who just happened to be there. I did consider Russell a worthy winner because he outsmarted everyone. It's a shame for me to watch a whole season of backstabbing, blindsides, alliances all over the place, people strategizing like crazy, only to see Jeremy winning because ..... his wife is pregnant and he is a firefighter. I don't think he did not deserve it 100% but I do think there should be votes for Spencer and Tasha as well.

Part II:

Wentworth really is a clever girl. The fake Idol ploy might be played out, but the difference in appearances of the Idols this season WAS an opportunity to be grabbed. The problem is that Keith didn't leverage the situation.  I just don't get it. All he had to do was leave a flap of a bag open at camp or something like that.

And I was very entertained by Jeremy's pantomime act, Tasha sleeping with one eye open, and Keith's cackle session to Wentworth after that all went down.  Didn't lead to anything, but it was amusing.

• Love 2

That's true.... it was Kelley who kind of strong-armed the situation into Kimmie going home.  She intervened and put her foot down to save Keith.   Yet Kimmie is so mad that Spencer bullied her.   I didn't see any bullying, but to be honest, I don't fully understood what happened and it's going to take a lot of reading and diagrams for me to really get it.  Spencer was speaking in tongues for all I knew.

Well to be fair, she was cornered by Spencer and Jeremy by saying "It's between Kimmi and Keith" first. Even Keith said, "oh so this it now, your way or the highway, what about Tasha?!" then Spencer followed up by saying "Tasha isn't going home". So at that point, Wentworth really had no other choice. If she stood up to them and said, I stick my vote with Tasha, then Keith is going home. At that point, for her, it was just a matter of who she trusted more, and it was Keith, not Kimmi. That's why she fought for him to stay. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 3

I know a lot of people don't like a bitter jury, but I missed the fireworks that usually comes with FTC. Kass disappointed me hugely, I was expecting we'd get some fireworks from the so-called Queen of Ponderosa. I really thought she would lay it into Tasha but I guess Kass figured she wasn't worth the energy.

I miss the caliber of Reed's wicked mother speech, or Brenda's teethgate. I want some WTF questions. It's reality TV!!! The only one closest to it was Wiggles, of all people.

I agree a bitter jury at FTC is fun.

This jury seemed strangely not bitter during FTC, but apparently voted rather bitterly, giving Jeremy, the one who double crossed them the least, but perhaps did not make as many good moves as Spencer and Tasha to 10-0-0 win.

I thought he deserved the win, but not the sweep.

I also think a times bitter juries play an important role in keeping the game interesting. The spectre of bitter jurors makes the game much more complex as you have to be careful how you get to FTC.

Jurors who give to much respect to over the top, cutthroat, anything goes play can make the game boring.

• Love 1

At that F6 tribal council, Spencer whispered to Kelley, "you're good", as if to reassure her. He didn't believe she had an idol, he thought he would successfully strong arm Kimmi into voting Kelley. Why would he want to send Kelley to the jury with their last interaction being him unnecessarily lying to her? No wonder people took it personally when he betrayed them if that was his level of finesse.

I'm actually pretty annoyed by the editing now that its all over. We got this personal growth narrative from Spencer that apparently didn't exist. He was portrayed as a major threat until the end, even though it's obvious now that he had made himself a goat. All the commentary about Spencer's improved social game came from Spencer himself, and I'm sure he believed it. But we were never given a clue that he was deceiving himself. We also got to hear from Tasha that she, Jeremy, and Spencer were the strongest players and Kimmi, Kelley, and Keith were goats. It turns out that those "weak" players were jury threats that Spencer and Tasha had no chance of beating. That must have been really annoying to the players watching at home, when they knew what was really happening. I understand that Spencer couldn't watch the show because he didn't want to relive his mistakes, but if I were him, I'd be thrilled with how the show turned out. He got an incredible edit considering what we know now. The editors really pulled their punches with him. He should have gotten Stephen's dodo edit.

• Love 5

Part III:

I know that Ball-drop thing is supposed to be a real equalizer, but I've seen variations of it before and I always hate it. Jeff droning on and on for once served a purpose admittedly--his annoying shit definitely was at least half intended to make them mess up (usually you get the sense if that happens its just gravy but not the specific intent). Honestly it just comes off as lame to me.

I wonder if Jeremy REALLY realized that the jurors probably liked (in reflection) that he could beat Spenser but not Wentworth. I can't say in his position I would have been sure of that.

And Spencer having the cojanes to actually threaten Jeremy that he'd campaign with the Jury for Wentworth if he got voted off? Wow. Think about that. And it WORKED--even more amazing.  And Probst actually remembered Kelly has a first name this time.

I'm actually pretty annoyed by the editing now that its all over. We got this personal growth narrative from Spencer that apparently didn't exist. He was portrayed as a major threat until the end, even though it's obvious now that he had made himself a goat. All the commentary about Spencer's improved social game came from Spencer himself, and I'm sure he believed it. But we were never given a clue that he was deceiving himself. 

Okay, but then contrast it with Tasha, who saw herself as some social game master, and I think she was deluding herself too.  I think by the end most everybody saw her as shadier (in a bad way, not a purely strategic way) than Jeremy... whether or not that was the truth.

BTW: a 2/3rds black final 3?  Progress for this show, eh?  And yet at the same time I'm glad it wasn't really discussed in those terms.

• Love 2

By the way, I DO think Jeremy was specifically saving up the "for the family" stuff for the finale, with specific attempts to manipulate people into voting for him (not that that's a bad thing in a game like this).  He knew it would play against him on the show, but serve him well against two essentially unlikeable people like Spenser and Tasha.  And it worked. I mean at least a few of the jury probably knew full well they were being emotionally manipulated but what were they going to do instead? Vote for someone they considered an annoying and often smug coattail-rider like Tasha? Or for a guy who's actual social skills were probably only a hair better than Fishbreath's (in other words, shitty)?  The more I think about it, the clearer it is that he had a total lock short of a major screw up. I mean it was less obvious by the on-air portrait of Spencer, but clearer once we hear a bit more of the truth.

• Love 4

BTW: a 2/3rds black final 3?  Progress for this show, eh?  And yet at the same time I'm glad it wasn't really discussed in those terms.

And then at the reunion they proceeded to ignore the Persian woman, the Asian woman, the Asian man and the Hispanic woman. : )

• Love 8

He got an incredible edit considering what we know now. The editors really pulled their punches with him. He should have gotten Stephen's dodo edit.

Looking back, his edit the past on the last episode probably telegraphed his downfall from Personal Growth Spencer to Nothing Has Really Changed Spencer. Wentworth said in one of her exits: "But again, there were a couple Tribal Councils before that, and you didn't see him basically saying, like, "We're running the show and we're just letting you know that. We're not doing this or that." Being in the majority alliance this time around got to his head big time.

So he was already acting like an ass prior to those tribal councils, but it wasn't shown. TPTB could also choose not to show his bullying/threatening or whatever during the final episode, but they did. They only showed it this episode in the finale to coincide with the FTC and his spectacular downfall. So now I can see why the editors played it out that way early - showing how Spencer felt like he has changed, letting him talk and talk early about how he has changed, but when close to the end game, he really hasn't changed at all and is still the same Spencerbot he was in Cagayan. Pride cometh before the fall, so they say. And that's the narrative and edit they had for him.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 3

And then at the reunion they proceeded to ignore the Persian woman, the Asian woman, the Asian man and the Hispanic woman. : )

Well Probst was running things. The man who not so secretly lusts over every Joe-like player out there. So of course the diversity was ignored. That gave them time to give Joe his special segment, and for Probst to hide his stiffie behind a note card. 

Meanwhile Abi-Maria, a much more interesting personality even if she's nuts, also happens to be Hispanic and female. And so Probst's interaction with her is one pointed question--which is only asked in relation to Joe's whole 5 minute long tonguebath/lovefest.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I love behind-the-scenes articles. This is the first one I saw. Lots of interesting stuff on it:

http://www.thewrap.com/survivor-second-chance-finale-7-things-you-didnt-see-on-tv/

3. Wentworth revealed a secret practice heat for the final immunity challenge. “We practiced that challenge before we actually did it,” she told TheWrap. “We got to practice that final challenge once before we did it. We had one practice run and I killed it.” When it counted, she came up short. “The second time when we they actually filmed it, I got in my own head.”

6. “I need to take a break. I need to refocus on life, refocus on the things that are important,” a morose and depressed Bledsoe told TheWrap after the show. “I’m definitely not looking at a third chance right now.” The 23-year-old who arrived to the franchise as an eager super fan two years ago did not even dress up for the finale, sporting a hoodie and corduroys. He stuck out amongst his peers who went full-glam (see above.)  It was a stunning disintegration of spirit from even seven months ago when TheWrap interviewed Bledsoe days before leaving for production in Cambodia.

7. The dispensability of cast members and the fickle fortunes of screen time bore out as audio technicians “de-mic’ed” Shirin Oskooi and Monica Padilla on stage after the show ended. Neither of them had been asked a question nor uttered a word on the live show. In addition to the superfluous microphone, Oskooi had the double indignity of having to sit in the far corner.

Edited by slowpoked

Wentworth really is a clever girl. The fake Idol ploy might be played out, but the difference in appearances of the Idols this season WAS an opportunity to be grabbed. The problem is that Keith didn't leverage the situation.  I just don't get it. All he had to do was leave a flap of a bag open at camp or something like that.

He flashed that fake idol to Jeremy a couple times.  

I kind of see Keith's point.  If he'd pulled it out and flaunted it, they'd ask to see it and then they could tell it was fake.  The Ponderosa people could tell.  He put the bait out and they didn't bite.  If he'd waved it in front of their faces like they were morons, he'd just go out looking stupid and desperate.  

The dispensability of cast members and the fickle fortunes of screen time bore out as audio technicians “de-mic’ed” Shirin Oskooi and Monica Padilla on stage after the show ended. Neither of them had been asked a question nor uttered a word on the live show. In addition to the superfluous microphone, Oskooi had the double indignity of having to sit in the far corner.

True. It was so Jeff could focus more on Joe, his long lost love.

• Love 1

And Spencer having the cojanes to actually threaten Jeremy that he'd campaign with the Jury for Wentworth if he got voted off? Wow. Think about that. And it WORKED--even more amazing.  And Probst actually remembered Kelly has a first name this time.

I don't think it worked at all.  Jeremy has made clear (and Kelley) has confirmed that before tribal he told Kelley that he just couldn't take her to F3.  Indeed, Spencer's blathering there further turned off a lot of the jury towards him (not that I'm sure he would have gotten any votes anyway) and Jeremy just let him talk, and talk and talk himself into the jury's disfavor. 

• Love 2

Meanwhile Abi-Maria, a much more interesting personality even if she's nuts, also happens to be Hispanic and female. And so Probst's interaction with her is one pointed question--which is only asked in relation to Joe's whole 5 minute long tonguebath/lovefest.

I loved how Abi answered him "But I got a lot of love too when I voted him out!" Way to shoot down Probst, Abi. 

• Love 4

I'm actually pretty annoyed by the editing now that its all over.

I'm kinda torn over it. On the one hand, I find it annoying that the edit portrayed Spencer so inaccurately, but I do like that by doing so they made it so that the winner wasn't a forgone conclusion the whole time.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3

I don't think Brazilians consider themselves Hispanic since they don't speak Spanish.   My cousin's wife is Brazilian and I'd ask her opinion, but she speaks strictly Portuguese and I only know English.

• Love 2

they could tell it was fake.  The Ponderosa people could tell.

It didn't seem that way to me, they seemed to not be sure, they even had Keith questioning whether it might have been real (ok, that's probably not hard, lol). I think he should have pulled it out and given it a shot.

• Love 2

Where the final 5 from only two seasons?  I Spencer and Tasha started off on the same tribe the first time around.  I think Jeremy, Kelley and Keith all played in the same season, but I don't remember how the tribes worked out.  I do remember Jeremy and Keith "bonding" on exile island.  

• Love 1

Where the final 5 from only two seasons?  I Spencer and Tasha started off on the same tribe the first time around.  I think Jeremy, Kelley and Keith all played in the same season, but I don't remember how the tribes worked out.  I do remember Jeremy and Keith "bonding" on exile island.  

Yeah, Jeremy, Kelley, and Keith were all from the second Blood vs. Water.  I think Jeremy even mentioned it at one point, how it was surprising they were all still left. 

• Love 1

Yeah, Jeremy, Kelley, and Keith were all from the second Blood vs. Water.  I think Jeremy even mentioned it at one point, how it was surprising they were all still left. 

You know what's crazier?! The three of them were all from their same first tribe in SJDS - Hunapu.

• Love 2

I don't think Brazilians consider themselves Hispanic since they don't speak Spanish.   My cousin's wife is Brazilian and I'd ask her opinion, but she speaks strictly Portuguese and I only know English.

Will you accept "Latina", since Portuguese is still a Latin language?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

True. It was so Jeff could focus more on Joe, his long lost love.

I don't know Jeff feels about Joe personally, but I know the fans are rabid for Joe so he's giving the fans what they want.  Jeff saw the vote totals.  He knows Shirin's no huge fan favorite.  

I'm kinda torn over it. On the one hand, I find it annoying that the edit portrayed Spencer so inaccurately, but I do like that by doing so they made it so that the winner wasn't a forgone conclusion the whole time.

I agree.  This is the first season I was pissed from ep. 2 that I felt the winner was telegraphed.   At least by the last third I wondered if Spencer had a chance.  If they'd shown Spencer being a dick before the last night, I would've been angry all season.  I loved the season but I wish they'd shown Jeremy being a jerk or something now and then just to cast some doubt.  

All this talk about "under the radar" strategies being fantastic players doesn't work for one reason: with that yardstick, _anyone_ who makes it to final 3 is a "great player".  For instance, had Keith won the last 2 immunities, HE would be the great "under the radar" player.  Or if Kelley had pulled off her coup, SHE would have been the great "under the radar" player.  Merely cruising to the end in safety is just not a good enough measure of success for me.  Most of Jeremy's "shields" weren't positioned or selected with delicate care.  They were luck of the draw advantageous.  In a nutshell, from the POV of Jeremy:

ep 1 -> didn't have to go to tribal
ep 2 -> didn't have to go to tribal
ep 3 -> team redistribution leaves Jeremy on the Bayon-strong 4v2 team, didn't have to go to tribal
ep 4 -> didn't have to go to tribal
ep 5 -> went to tribal, easy Bayon majority vote was going to target Kelly, but Kimmi is the ringleader behind blindsiding Monica instead (after turning down an all girl alliance)
ep 6 -> team redistribution AGAIN leaves Jeremy with everybody on his team being people from former alliances, didn't have to go to tribal
ep 7 -> tribes merge with Jeremy on super-alliance with 7 tight members (vs 6 others), Kass goes insane and gets Savage/Wigglesworth to join the super-alliance and easy-vote her out
ep 8 -> probably the first time I see Jeremy seriously influence a vote, deflecting from Stephen -- I have no idea why they didn't split votes here though, Savage goes home
ep 9 -> stephen masterminds a blindside on Kelly, Jeremy/Spencer follows
ep 10 -> somehow the rest of these morons of the super-alliance are still trusting the people that are blindsiding others and keeping them in the dark...Jeremy/Spencer/Stephen should have been dead to rights here.  Instead, Jeremy/Spencer/Stephen was TOLD of the exact voting plan, making the idol play protecting Stephen very easy to accomplish
ep 11 -> at this point, with all the voting bloc BS, splitting votes was _insanely stupid_ -- Jeremy/Stephen want Abi gone.  Instead Stephen is taken out, pushed by Joe since Stephen has been gunning for him.  Spencer is the deciding swing vote playing both sides
ep 12 -> easy joe vote out, mutual across the tribe
ep 13 -> Spencer is the deciding swing vote playing both sides, sends Abi home
ep 14 -> spencer/tasha saves jeremy's ass, jeremy chose spencer over keith, then jeremy wins immunity

Basic summary: Didnt have to go to tribal til episode 5 when he was in a foruitous majority.  Final merge @ ep 7 leaves him in super-alliance.  From this point forward, it's other people driving the blindsides, not him.  Ep 7 had Kass throw herself on the dagger.  Ep 8 I'll give to Jeremy as having relevance.  Ep 9 was Stephen-driven decision (who actually _was_ one of the scary strategic players).  Ep 10 Jeremy is told of the plan and decides to use an idol to change the plan.  Ep 11 is a Joe/Spencer-driven vote-out of Jeremy's partner Stephen.  Ep 12 is the oligatory Joe vote out.  Ep 13 Spencer has the game in his hands but sends goat Abi out of the game (biggest bonehead move out of him).  Ep 14 Jeremy wins immunity.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a ton of strategic play there.  Jeremy had very few tribal votes to face and was always in a very safe and very strong majority in all instances.  In practically none of the situations was Jeremy driving the decisions (aside from ep 8), or discovering the critical pieces of information.  The exact same argument made for Jeremy's "under the radar" game could made for almost any of the surviving Bayon.  Tasha and Spencer were pretty much the only two people with a hard path through the game that actually went far.  Spencer's name was almost _always_ being tossed around and had to bounce from alliance to alliance quite a few times, including actually having to get _Kass_ on his side.  Tasha frequently had the numbers against her.

Not only did Spencer have a more difficult path, but his decisions and influence mattered far more in the vote-outs that occurred.  And he won more immunity challenges.  Frankly, he deserved it more based on actual strategic/challenge/strength-of-difficulty gameplay.  With a proper social game, he would/should have won.  But he's incompetent in that aspect, so the bitter jury picked the nice guy instead.  And I might also add: having a strong social game with people you've known (and never had to screw over) since Episode 1 is far easier than trying to befriend people on the fly when you're bouncing from alliance to alliance trying to survive.

Edited by Magius
  • Love 2

My favourite was obviously the insane tribal concil where no one knew what the rules were, and I wonder how the explanation went while they were filming. It seemed like Keith was honestly confused about WTF was going on when he offered to step down.

My second favourite part was the sequence at the beginning where Jeff narrated the incredible story of how each of the final six got this far in the game and, when he got to Tasha, he was just like, "Tasha... has lasted this long! Will she last even longer?" (paraphrase) Pretty much sums up how much of an impression she made this season.

I'm okay with Jeremy winning, but I wish Wentworth had pulled off that final immunity challenge.

I think it's wrong that Probst gets so excited when people injure themselves or get sick. To me, that means you're doing a bad job of running the show -- it's not something to celebrate.

Edited by SourK
  • Love 2